Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Hannah Anderson Spotted with Captor Before Rescue: Officials


The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said 16-year-old Hannah Anderson and her captor, James Lee DiMaggio, 40, were caught on camera days before being discovered in the Idaho back country.

“We had their image, Hannah and DiMaggio in his Versa, at a Border Patrol checkpoint 10 after midnight,” sheriff’s spokeswoman Jan Caldwell said.

“They were going westbound on Old Highway 8, so we knew he had about a 20-hour head start on us at that point,” Caldwell said.

This meant the two were on the road hours before DiMaggio’s Boulevard home went up in flames August 4. Search warrants revealed explosives were found inside the home.

“We knew he had planned this event. We knew he had put some of the material that caused the fire on a timer,” she said.

Christina Anderson, 44, and 8-year-old Ethan Anderson were found dead in the fire. The Medical Examiner's report said Christina Anderson died of blunt force injury to the head and ruled her death a homicide. FBI agents rescued Hannah and killed DiMaggio in Idaho six days later.

Timeline: The Search for Hannah

Officials said they are only releasing information that explains why they did what they did to rescue Hannah. They said all other details, such as a motive and letters from Hannah, will remain under wraps.

“Hannah is a minor, and we have to bear in mind that anything we say, anything we do, anything we write is going to stay with her the rest of her life,” Caldwell said. “I don’t want to victimize her a second time.”

Meanwhile, family spokesman Andrew Spanswick said DiMaggio left a $112,000 insurance policy to Bernice Anderson, Hannah’s paternal grandmother. Spanswick said DiMaggio didn't want to leave it to Christina or Brett Anderson because the couple was "on again off again." 

Search Warrant Shows New Details in Alleged Facebook Killing


The South Miami man who police say killed his wife then posted a photo of her body on Facebook told detectives he shot her six to eight times when she started punching him, according to a newly released search warrant.

The warrant, obtained by the Miami Herald, also said police took two Samsung cellphones, three Dell computers and an iPad from the home of Derek Medina, who is charged with first-degree murder in the Aug. 8 shooting death of Jennifer Alfonso.

Medina, 31, is scheduled to be arraigned on Aug. 29.

No Bond for Man Accused of Killing Wife, Posting Photo on Facebook

According to the warrant, Medina admitted to posting the photo and an admission on his Facebook page before he surrendered to police.

"Im going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife love you guys miss you guys take care Facebook people you will see me in the news," he wrote. "My wife was punching me and I am not going to stand anymore with the abuse so I did what I did I hope u understand me."

Medina told detectives he grabbed his Bersa Thunder .380-caliber pistol during an argument with Alfonso and pointed it at her, then followed her downstairs when she threatened to leave him, the warrant said.

VIDEO: Father Speaks About South Miami Woman's Death

She grabbed a knife but he was able to take it away and put it back into a kitchen drawer, the warrant said.

“Mr. Medina then shot the victim six or eight times because she began to punch him,” the warrant said.

Alfonso's 10-year-old daughter was home during the murder but wasn't harmed, officials said.

VIDEO: Man Accused of Killing Wife Makes Early Court Appearance

In addition to the pistol, detectives seized a Taser stun gun, two other pistols, ammunition, a holster and a large knife from the kitchen, according to the warrant.

During a court appearance last week, Medina's attorneys asked the judge to allow crime scene technicians to take pictures of Medina before the evidence - apparently bruising or other indications of abuse - were gone.

More Local Stories:

Photo Credit: NBC 6 South Florida

Family in Shock After Neighbor's Hate Mail Targets Autistic Son


A Canadian family is in shock after reportedly receiving a letter from a neighbor that called their 13-year-old autistic son "nothing but a nuisance" and argued he should be "euthanized."

"It made me sick to my stomach to think that somebody hated my son that much and they didn't even know him," mother Karla Begley told Toronto's City News. "But they just hated him because he was different."

The letter, signed by "One pissed off mother!!!!!" was slipped under the door of Brenda Milson's home on Friday. Her grandson Maxwell Begley, who lives with his parents, stays with her in the mornings during the summer.

"Do the right thing and move or euthanize him!!!" it read.

The writer complained about Maxwell's "noise polluting whaling" saying it "scares the hell out of my normal children." The angry mother, with her liberal use capital letters and exclamation marks, concluded the letter by telling the family to move away and "live in a trailer in the woods or something with your wild animal kid."

Begley said the police are investigating the anonymous letter.

Scroll down to see the whole letter:

Gas Main Break in Glastonbury


A construction crew hit a gas main in Glastonbury, forcing officials to close Hillcrest Road and Main Street between Elm Tree and Whapley roads, officials said.

There are no evacuations.

View Larger Map

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Waterbury Man Accused of Kidnapping 5-Year-Old


A Waterbury man has been charged with first-degree kidnapping and risk of injury to a child after a 5-year-old girl said he pulled down her underwear and tried to do “bad things” to her, according to local police.

Police arrested  Alexis Oquendo-Colon , 23, on Sunday, according to court records.

The girl’s mother called police on Sunday after her daughter said Oquendo-Colon  pulled her into an apartment when she went to play with another girl and ripped her underwear, according to police.

The girl told police she was able to scream, get away from Oquendo-Colon  and run home, police said.

According to police, investigators found ripped pair of underwear on the kitchen floor of the girl’s home.

Oquendo-Colon  does not have a criminal history, according to police.  Bond was set at $250,000 and he remains in custody.

Oquendo-Colon’s attorney, Thomas Mitchell-Hoffler, told the Waterbury Republican American that his client has mental health issues and his family is concerned that the issues might get worse if he remains in prison.

Photo Credit: Waterbury Police

32-Year-Old Man Killed in Bridgeport Crash


Police are investigating a motor vehicle crashed that killed a 32-year-old man in Bridgeport early Tuesday.

Police responded to the area of Noble and Edna avenues at 12:19 a.m. after a car hit a tree, police said.

The fire department extricated the victim, Keith Gathers, 32, who was transported to Bridgeport Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to Officer Pedro Garcia, an investigator from the traffic division.

The victim was along in the car, police said.

The major accident team is investigating.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

City Leaders Mum on Mayor Filner Negotiation


San Diego Mayor Bob Filner returned to the negotiation table Tuesday in his mediation with city leaders, none of whom would reveal specifics on what they were discussing.

Special Section: Mayor Under Fire

City Council President Todd Gloria and Councilmember Kevin Faulconer and City Attorney Jan Goldsmith joined the mediation session inside the high-rise building on West Broadway.

While several intimated the proceedings were going well, they cited a request from retired federal Judge Lawrence Irving as a reason for not revealing specifics.

"We're in mediation right now but as soon as we have something we can share, I'll definitely come out and talk to you," Gloria said.

"We're not going to be talking about the specifics at this point which are ongoing, but when there is something, I'll certainly let you know,” Faulconer said.

On Monday, NBC 7 San Diego has learned the negotiation is taking place inside a conference room at Butz Dunn & DeSantis.

Mayor Filner sat on one end of a long conference table facing City Attorney Goldsmith who sat at the other end. The two men who have had a long public feud sat at polar opposites of the table according to one source.

Amid increasing calls for him to resign, Mayor Filner was spotted in San Diego Monday for the first time since he announced he would enter a two-week intensive treatment program Aug. 5.

Filner's staff reported that the mayor entered the treatment a week early and finished the program on Aug. 10. They have not disclosed the location of the facility or the disorder for which Filner sought treatment.

Filner has not addressed the city or his constituents about a number of sexual harassment allegations and other claims that have surfaced since he was last seen July 26.

Among the allegations, that he misused his city-issued credit card and may have misused city funds for a trip to Paris in June.

City Attorney Goldsmith has said that Mayor Filner would be “given an out.”

After Tuesday's mediation session, Goldsmith told local media that he would not comment on the day's mediation.

On Monday, attorney Gloria Allred and her client Irene McCormack Jackson were part of the mediation.

McCormack Jackson, the mayor’s former communications director, filed a lawsuit alleging sexual harassment during the six months she worked with Mayor Filner.

After she aired her experiences with the mayor, more than a dozen other women have come forward and shared stories of Bob Filner making unwanted sexual advances either as mayor or congressman.

It's expected that the Democratic National Committee will ask members to vote on a resolution demanding that Filner resign as a follow up on the recent statement by Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

The members will meet in Scottsdale, Ariz on Friday.

Hasan Chatted With Photographer During Massacre


A photographer testified Tuesday that while at Fort Hood for a graduation ceremony in November 2009, he took pictures of the gunman as he was prowling around during the 2009 attack.

The photographer, Steven Bennett, was among the last witnesses to take the stand before the prosecution rested Tuesday in the Fort Hood mass shooting trial of Army Maj. Nidal Hasan on Tuesday.

Bennett, who was unaware of the shooting that had taken place in another building at the base, said the gunman told him his weapon was a paintball gun and that it was for a training exercise.

The photographer said was skeptical and began following and taking photographs of the man, whom he identified in court Tuesday as Hasan. Prosecutors entered several of those photos into evidence that show the shooter walking as other people ran from the scene. Those photos have not yet been released to the public.

Bennett's photos also captured an image of the wounded suspect on the ground after a shootout with police.

Separately Tuesday, a sworn statement from Fort Hood police Sgt. Mark Todd, who is credited with taking down the shooter and did not appear in court, was read in the trial. Additionally, an Army doctor testified that Hasan told her a month before the shooting that "they will pay" if he was deployed to Afghanistan.

After the prosecution rested, the judge, Col. Tara Osborn, dismissed the jury and said "We'll resume tomorrow with the defense's case, if any."

Hasan has kept mostly silent during the first two weeks of the trial and it's not clear whether he'll take the stand in his own defense.

Court is scheduled to resume at 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Photo Credit: Brigitte Woosley

Most Connecticut Kindergartners Attend Full-Day Sessions


The first day of kindergarten is a milestone moment in a child’s education and more 5-year-olds in the state are headed to full-day kindergarten this year than ever before.

According to the state Department of Education, 74 percent of Connecticut kindergartners go to full-day sessions.

Jan Giudice, of Newington, can’t say enough positive things about how her children thrived in full-day kindergarten. 

Her sons, Collin, 9, and Tyler, 6, are part of the growing trend nationally and in Connecticut, where an increasing number of students live in towns that have switched from half to full-day. 

“I couldn't believe from the beginning of kindergarten to the end of the year, how much they could read and write, when they went in barely doing any of that,” she said. 

Giudice describes her children as “a little more advanced academically but also socially advanced” because of full-day kindergarten.

Southington is one of the towns making the switch to full-day kindergarten this upcoming school year. 

“We have compacted way too much into a very shortened day,” Superintendent Joseph Erardi said.

The town has hired an additional 14 teachers, costing an additional $400,000. Unlike many districts, Southington will pay for the increase without using state grants.

Teachers worked throughout the summer to develop the full-day curriculum, which includes increased individual learning time that would not be possible during half-day.    They also integrated reading and math into activities, including playtime and field trips. 

“Kindergarten children who come for two and a half hours don't have time to develop relationships because once they're in school for that short length of time, it is go-go-go,” said Sally Kamerbeek, principal at the Hatton School in Southington.

But not everybody agrees that full-day kindergarten is all that it's cracked up to be. 

A recent Duke University study found that the academic benefits of full-day kindergarten disappeared in some students by the third grade. 

Some who oppose the full-day option say it is taxpayer-subsidized babysitting.  And some parents either worry that their children aren’t ready to be away for a full day or said they would prefer to have more time to develop their child’s learning at home.

In Southington, teachers are working with those who don’t want their children to participate in full-day kindergarten to help create a specialized program for their child. 

“Children do deserve to have that choice.  Families do deserve to have that choice.  And we've allowed that,” said Karen Smith, assistant superintendent in Southington.

But Southington is hoping most of its more than 400 incoming kindergarteners have an experience more like Collin and Tyler’s when they come to class on August 29. 

“They love it,” Giudice said.


Hartford Teen Missing Since Friday


Police have issued an alert for a 14-year-old Hartford girl who has been missing since Friday.

Iveliz Laureano was last seen on Newton Street in Hartford around 8:30 p.m. on August 16, according to a Silver Alert that police issued today.

She is 5-feet-tall and weighs 125 pounds, according to police.

She has black hair and brown eyes and was wearing green shorts, a white tank top and brown sandals when she was last scene. She was carrying a black backpack.

Anyone with information on Laureano’s whereabouts is asked to call Hartford Police at 860-757-4366.

Photo Credit: Silver Alert

Deadly Motorcycle Crash Closes Route 7 in New Milford


Route 7 in New Milford is closed for a 1-mile stretch between Dodd Road and Still River Drive because of a fatal motorcycle crash.

One person was killed in the crash, police said.

Route 7 will be closed for several hours as police investigate the accident.  They urged drivers to avoid the area.

View Larger Map

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

8 Hurt in Explosion at New Jersey Naval Station


Eight people were hurt, one of them seriously, in an explosion at a New Jersey naval station Tuesday, officials said.

The U.S. Navy said crews were doing routine maintenance on a utility boat at Earle Naval Weapons Station in Monmouth County about 9 a.m, when the explosion occurred.

Ammunition operations at the weapons station weren't affected by the explosion, and the damage was contained to the boathouse, the U.S. Navy said. The exact cause of the blast is still under investigation.

All of the victims were taken to hospitals, primarily with minor injuries related to smoke inhalation. One of the workers has already been released from the hospital. The other six are still being evaluated by doctors.

The station is in Leonardo, N.J. on Sandy Hook Bay.

Teen's Murder "Vicious & Personal"


"He doesn't deserve whatever happened to him," said Sherron Kaba while holding back tears.

A construction worker found Kaba's 19-year-old son Daquan Crump's body at a Northeast Philadelphia demolition site Monday morning.

"The only thing I can tell you right now is that it appears it was very personal and very vicious," said Philadelphia police Captain James Clark.

Crump was shot 10 to 12 times in the face and head, Clark said.

"It appears he was taken or walked into that area and shot multiple times while he was on the ground," said Clark.

Crump's backpack, which he always carried, was near his body. Inside was his Wendy's uniform. He worked at a nearby Wendy's, police say, and that is the last place he was seen when he left work around 11 p.m. Saturday.

Investigators are trying to figure out where Crump was between then and 5:30 a.m. Monday morning.

A construction worker found Crump's body around 7:20 a.m. at the former site of Black Red White Furniture along the 10000 block of Northeast Avenue in the Somerton section of Northeast Philadelphia.

The worker called 911 and emergency responders rushed to the scene. The construction site is located across the street from the fields behind George Washington High School not far from Red Lion Road and the Roosevelt Boulevard (Route 1).

Police say Crump both lived and worked in the neighborhood and that he never had any trouble with the law.

"He lives with his mother and also his grandmother, Clark said. "He goes back and forth. We know he was not with either of them last night."

Family members say they last saw Crump Thursday night.

Crump was a GW High grad who began working at Wendy's two weeks ago, according to his family.

Clark said police need someone to come forward with information to help them solve this murder.

According to Licenses and Inspections records, demolition permits for the property were issued dating back to 2009. There are 15 separate violations listed for the property ranging from high weeds on the property to partial collapses.

Jury Finds Joseph Naso Guilty of Killing 4 Women


A California jury has found accused serial killer Joseph Naso guilty of killing four women in the Bay Area and Yuba County between 1977 and 1994, in a notorious series of killings known as the "alphabet murders."

The Marin County jury deliberated for about seven hours over a two-day period, and agreed with prosecutors, convicting Naso of four counts of first-degree murder, as well as the special circumstance of committing multiple murders, which makes him eligible for the death penalty.

Naso, 79, did not visibly react when the verdict was read at about 2:20 p.m.

Naso insisted on representing himself in the trial, which began in mid-June, with the help of an advisory counsel.

The jury convicted him of killing Roxene Roggasch, 18, of Oakland, and Carmen Colon, a 22-year-old East Bay resident. Roggasch was found dead off of Sir Francis Drake Boulevard west of Fairfax on Jan. 11, 1977.

Roggasch's stepfather, Vern Ashby, told NBC Bay Area the family is relieved and elated by the verdict. He said the family has always wondered if they would ever find out who killed Roxene and if she would ever get justice. Ashby said the district attorney called him Tuesday afternoon to inform him of the verdict.

Roggasch's mother, Beverly Ashby, said she hopes Naso will get the death penalty. "I think they ought to hang him by the balls," Beverly Ashby said.

Colon's body was found near Carquinez Scenic Drive in Port Costa in Contra Costa County on Aug. 15, 1978. Naso, a former commercial photographer, was also found guilty of the murders of Pamela Parsons, 38, and Tracy Tafoya, 31, whose bodies were found in Yuba County in September 1993 and August 1994, respectively.

All four victims are believed to have worked as prostitutes, and their murders became known as the "alphabet murders" because their first and last names all began with the same letter.

The jury saw Naso, acting as his own attorney, smiling and wearing a suit and tie during the two-month trial--a far different demeanor than on his first day in a Marin County courtroom after his 2011 arrest at his home in Reno, Nevada. 

Naso was arrested after visiting probation officers found disturbing photographs of nude women in unnatural positions. They appeared unconscious or dead.

Naso called it art.

Deputy District Attorney Rosemary Slote called it criminal, claiming Naso drugged and photographed his victims, strangled them, and dumped their naked bodies in rural areas of Marin and Contra Costa counties in the 1970s.

Naso's DNA was found in semen collected from the pantyhose Roggasch was wearing when her body was found, prosecutors said.

Evidence against Naso included a handwritten list that prosecutors allege refers to at least seven women, including the four victims and some of the locations where their bodies were found. During the trial, the prosecution presented 70 witnesses, and Naso called seven to the stand.

The jury began deliberating on Monday afternoon. The sentencing phase of the trial, to begin next month, will determine whether Naso will face the death penalty.

Even if Naso is sentenced to death, it is unlikely he will be executed. There are 725 inmates already on California's Death Row and executions have been on hold since 2006, when a federal judge ordered an overhaul of California's execution protocol.

More Bay Area Stories:


Bay City News contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

Neighbors Complain About New Haven Gun Range


New Haven residents have ramped up complaints about the noise being generated by a law enforcement gun range in the city.

“On a regular basis, that gun range goes off five days a week from at least 10 o'clock in the morning till three in the afternoon,” Brother Born told Gov. Dannel Malloy during the governor's visit on Monday.

Born says the sounds of gunfire constantly plague the neighborhood when federal, state and local law enforcement officers are using the gun range for training.

“You can hear it from Sherman Parkway to Winchester Avenue!” he said.

Neighbors are sick of it, and the City of New Haven is hearing their complaints.

“It's a big source of concern. We'd use the range a lot more if it wasn't such an imposition on the neighborhood," said Rob Smuts, Chief Administrative Officer for the City of New Haven. "A lot of agencies want to use it and we end up saying no to them because we try to keep it to a minimum.”

The City has been working to build an indoor range, one where no one would be disturbed by gunfire. After years of searching for where to put it, city officials have finally found a place.

“We took possession of the former Libby Army Reserve Center up on Wintergreen Avenue, and that's the perfect location for this. So we finally have the location in hand after working on it for many years,” said Smuts.

New Haven will need $3 million to $5 million to fund it. The city already received a $225,000 grant from the federal government to help design the new gun range and get the proper permits.

“Once we have that in hand, then we'll really try to get federal funding for it or ask our Board of Aldermen to appropriate funding to build a range,” Smuts said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Google Maps Integrates Waze Traffic Reports


Google showed off its $1.3 billion social-mapping acquisition on Google Maps Tuesday — and with it, users will be able to get help avoiding traffic jams thanks to Waze's crowd-sourced real-time traffic reports.

Google introduced the first mash-up of the startup Waze and Google Maps for mobile on both iOS and Android. It will show construction, road closures and collisions reported by Waze users, according to AllThingsD. Google bought the Israel-based startup after Facebook reportedly lost interest when Waze founders wanted to keep their headquarters in Tel Aviv. (Despite this, Waze still has an office in Palo Alto, Calif.)

Brian McClendon, vice president of Google Maps, told AllThingsD that the integration would have a "big impact" on Google Maps users. Waze users won't be credited by name for their reports, but McClendon offered them exposure to more people. Currently, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission is reviewing the acquisition in case Google has gained an unfair advantage in the marketplace, but McClendon said the probe had no bearing on the map integration.
Waze users hail from South America, Europe and the U.S., so there will be plenty of information. And, apparently, plenty of local ads, McClendon said. “It’s early days for local advertising, and I think we both have good ideas, and right now lots of experiments," he shared.
Google is expected to fully integrate Waze into its mobile Google Maps, but likely that will be coming in the next year. But will Google make its users self-appointed traffic reporters, too, or simply rely on the Waze community which may feel little loyalty to Google? For this experiment to work, it would seem that Google would need its users to be just as invested in reporting road closures and collisions to make the integration succeed.

Photo Credit: Google Maps

3 Injured in Windsor Tractor Crash


Three men are suffering from serious injuries after a tractor crash on River Street in Windsor this morning.

Just before 7 a.m., two men who were on a tractor and another man who was driving an SUV crashed in the area of 530 River Street, officials said.

It took first responders about 30 minutes to extract the man from the SUV.

“We had to cut the whole side of the car off, and the top of the car,” said Deputy Fire Chief Jim Griskewicz.

LifeStar had been called and then canceled.

Investigators said it’s too soon to tell whether anyone was speeding. The crash is under investigation.

David Fontaine's residence sits feet away from the crash scene.

“It’s a pretty scary scene,” he said.


View Larger Map

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Witness: Plane Was Upside Down Before East Haven Crash


The National Transportation Safety Board has released its preliminary report on the airplane crash in East Haven on August 9 that killed four people and it includes information from a witness who said he saw the plane, inverted and traveling at a high rate of speed before the crash.

William Henningsgard, of Medina, Washington, was operating the airplane and his 17-year-old son, Maxwell, was a passenger onboard when the aircraft went down on Charter Oak Avenue at 11:21 a.m. on August 9 and struck two houses at 64 and 68 Charter Oak Avenue, according to officials.

Sade Brantley,13, and her 1-year-old sister, Madisyn Mitchell, were in one of houses that was struck. All four were killed.

A student pilot who was traveling on Interstate 95 at exit 51 right before the crash told the NTSB he looked to his right and saw the airplane at the “end of a right roll.” It was “inverted and traveling at a high rate of speed, nose-first” toward the ground in the vicinity of Tweed-New Haven airport.

When the witness stopped at a local business, he learned that it had crashed.

A witness who lives two houses away from the crash scene told NTSB he was in his living room and saw the plane descending at a 90-degree angle, right-side down, into the houses.

The airplane Henningsgard was operating had left Teeterboard Airport in New Jersey around 10:49 a.m. on the day of the crash. Two minutes before the crash, the pilot told air traffic control that could see the airport.

The last radar target was at 11:20 a.m., according to the NTSB.

At that point, it was  .7 miles north of the runway the plane was scheduled to land at and it was traveling at an altitude of 800 feet, according to the report.

When investigators arrived at the crash scene, they would find the front half of the plane, including the cockpit, left engine and front two-thirds of the fuselage in the basement, according to the NTSB.

The right wing struck another house and the right engine and propeller struck the ground between the two houses.  

Fire consumed most of the wreckage.

The NTSB also noted the wind as of 11:26 a.m. as 12 knots, gusting to 19 knots, along with a visibility of nine miles and an overcast ceiling at 900 feet.

You can read the full report on the NTSB Web site.

Photo Credit: AP

Exploding Bottles Found Ledyard


Police in Ledyard are investigating a spree of vandalism in which someone has been mixing household items in a plastic bottle, which bursts from the chemical reaction.

Fortunately, there have been no injuries, but police urge anyone who sees one of these devices to call police and not to handle the devices.

The potentially explosive devices are unpredictable and can result in property damage, serious injury or death, according to police.

“These senseless and hazardous acts of vandalism are considered a serious matter and criminal charges will be pursued against those responsible,” police said in a statement.

Clerk Critically Injured Trying to Stop Hasselhoff Thieves


An employee at a Shelton Cumberland Farms was critically injured while trying to stop thieves from stealing two signs featuring actor David Hasselhoff.

The Hasselhoff signs have been a popular target for thieves since the "Baywatch" actor began doing commercials for the convenience store chain last year.

According to police, a black SUV pulled into the parking lot of the Cumberland Farms at 819 River Road around 1:15 a.m. on Tuesday.

A 36-year-old worker noticed a man get out of the SUV and cut down two poster boards with Hasselhoff on them from a light pole and put them in the back of the vehicle. The employee approached the SUV to try and get the signs back and the driver sped away, dragging the victim and throwing him to the ground.

The employee, who has not been identified, flipped backwards and landed on his head, police said. He is listed in critical condition at Bridgeport Hospital.

There were three people inside the SUV, which drove down River Road towards Stratford, according to police.

Investigators are reviewing surveillance video and interviewing witnesses. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Shelton Police Detective Bureau at 203-924-1544.

In July 2012, more than 500 cardboard cutouts featuring Hasselhoff were stolen from Cumberland Farms stores in New England and Florida.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live