Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Dashcam Video: Abducted Woman Rescued


New video from the dashcam of a Kaufman County Sheriff's Department vehicle shows the tearful rescue of a young woman who was saved from her accused abductor after two teens called 911.

The woman said she was kidnapped and forced into her car by a gunman in Downtown Dallas, but managed to get the attention of two teenagers in a nearby car by mouthing the words, "Help me."

The teens called police and officers rescued the woman within minutes. (Watch an edited segment of the video above.)

In the newly released video, officers are seen pulling over the car and approaching the driver, asking to see his hands. As officers open the door to arrest the driver, an officer's microphone picks up the crying of a young woman being held in the backseat.

A second officer opens the door for the woman, who leaves the vehicle and embraces her rescuer while visibly upset.

The woman, 25, was kidnapped on Aug. 22 near Bryan Street after she left a downtown office building.

Two young men, Aaron Arias, a 19-year-old college student, and Jamal Harris, 17, a Seagoville high school student, noticed the woman in the back seat of a car at a stoplight in Seagoville and called 911.

"It's me and another guy, so we're checking out the girl in the backseat because, we're like, 'OK, she's kind of attractive,'" Arias said. "And then, all of the sudden, you know, the guy is turned back, looking at us."

The woman looked panicked and was "saying, 'Help me,' or something, whispering it," Arias told the 911 operator.

The teens followed the woman's car down U.S. Highway 175 until police caught up with them in Kaufman.

The suspect, Charles Atkins Lewis Jr., remains in jail on $50,000 bond. He is charged with aggravated kidnapping.

The woman was checked by paramedics but was unhurt.

Photo Credit: Kaufman County Sheriff's Department

I-84 West in Southington Reopens After Fatal Crash


Two lanes were closed for nearly 8 hours on I-84 West in Southington after a deadly crash early Saturday morning.

According to state troopers, a car slammed into the back of a parked tractor trailer in the area of Exit 28 on I-84W just before 7:00 a.m.

The tractor trailer was parked on the right shoulder.

Police said 20-year-old Charlie Campoverde and 17-year-old Aryana Youngquist, both of Southbury, were killed in the crash.

The crash remains under investigation.

Anyone who may  have witnessed the crash are asked to contact Troop H at 860-534-1070, ext. 6205.

Boardwalk Fire "Like a Bomb Went Off": Official


A fire that began near a Jersey Shore ice cream shop and quickly spread to the boardwalk, burning up six blocks of seaside businesses, was still smoldering Friday but was 95 percent contained, authorities said. Shiba Russell has the story.

Photo Credit: AP

Boardwalk Fire Another Blow for Struggling Businesses


Just as things appeared to be getting back to normal in the wake of Sandy, business owners in Seaside Park face another setback in the wake of Thursday's massive boardwalk fire. Tracie Strahan reports.

Photo Credit: NBC 4 New York

Woman's Last Name Doesn't Fit on a Driver's License


A Hawaii woman's last name is so long-- contains 36 characters and 19 syllables -- that it doesn't fit on a driver's license.

Janice "Lokelani" Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele (pronounced: KAY'-ee-hah-nah-EE'-coo-COW'-ah-KAH'-hee-HOO'-lee-heh-eh-KAH'-how-NAH-eh-leh) has had to carry two identification cards for the past 20 years--a driver's license and a state identification card, according to The Associated Press.

Her license only has space for 35 characters. Her name surpasses this limit, containing 35 letters and a mark used in the Hawaiian alphabet, called an okina.

In the past, she was able to obtain a state ID card that included her full name. However, when the state ID expired, her new ID arrived with the same omissions as her license.

The issue has made traveling difficult. She's also had a policeman give her a hard time during a traffic stop, she said to KHON2.

“He looked at it and he goes, ‘Well, where is your first name?’” Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele said. “And I said, ‘Don’t blame me. This is your department, this is the county.’”

She got the last name when she married her Hawaiian husband in 1992, according to The AP. He died in 2008, but encountered similar problems with his long last name.

The Department of Transportation decided to address the situation after  Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele contacted her local TV station about the issue, according to the New York Daily News.

The state's Department of Transportation spokeswoman Caroline Sluyter said the state is working to increase the space allotted for names on driver's licenses and ID cards, according to the AP.

The cards will provide 40 characters for first and last names and 35 characters for middle names by the end of the year, she said.

Keihanaikukauakahihuliheekahaunaele is happy her situation has received publicity.

"If you're going to require people to have picture IDs to identify them, they have to be correct," she told the AP.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Driver Beaten to Death With Baseball Bat


A man was bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat in Philadelphia's Wissinoming neighborhood.

The victim, 31, was found slumped over inside a car.

"Preliminary information shows the male suffered from severe head trauma," said Philadelphia police Captain James Kimrey.

911 got the first call around 1:20 in the morning, from a person who was screaming, and then a second call about a person being beat with a baseball bat, according to Kimrey.

When rescue crews got to the scene in the 5900 block of Charles Street, they found the man's body in the driver's side of a blue Hyundai Tiburon. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police say four men fled the scene after the attack. They say the suspects were last seen inside a black car, possibly a Ford Crown Victoria, with tinted windows driving on Charles Street towards Benner Street.

If you have any information on this incident, please call Philadelphia Police.

More NBC10.com stories:

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Rise in Urban Farming Met With Opposition


City dwellers turning into urban farmers continues to grow, but some oppose the movement and say more chickens are getting dumped. Stephanie Chuang reports.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

Alleged Pimp Wore Telling T-Shirt During Prostitution Bust


A San Diego man busted in a prostitution sting wore a very telling T-shirt during his arrest that had this phrase scrolled across the front: “I Make Pimpin’ Look Easy.”

Alleged pimp Martell Davis, 34, pleaded guilty in federal court to acting as a pimp for a 17-year-old girl and transporting the minor from San Diego to Yuma, Ariz., to engage in prostitution.

In his plea agreement Thursday, Davis admitted he drove the teenager to Arizona so she could engage in commercial sex acts.

According to prosecutors, court records show Davis was arrested on Jul. 27 as the result of an undercover operation by San Diego police.

An undercover detective responded to an online prostitution ad and set up a fake “date” to meet the teenage girl involved with Davis at a Best Western hotel in the Mission Valley area. The ad was charging $80 for the date with t he girl.

When the detective arrived at the hotel room, he arrested the teenager and then used the girl’s cell phone to text message the person investigators believed was her pimp.

Posing as the teen, the detective texted the girl’s suspected pimp and asked how much she should charge for a particular sex act.

The person on the other end texted back: “Break the bank.”

Later, another text message came from the suspected pimp’s phone, this time asking how much the girl had made from the sex act.

Prosecutors say the detective texted back “5,” meaning $500, to which the person on the other end responded, “Damn cool.”

Still using the teen’s phone, the detective asked the girl’s suspected pimp to pick her up from the hotel.

A short time later, Davis arrived at the room – wearing a T-shirt that read “I Make Pimpin’ Look Easy’ – and was arrested.

Davis was charged with transportation of a minor to engage in prostitution and faces a minimum 10 years to life in prison. His sentencing has been scheduled for Dec. 13.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Returning Soldier Surprises Younger Brother


Two brothers celebrated a reunion in Landover, Md., Friday -- a reunion they weren't certain would happen. News4 Prince George's County Bureau reporter Zachary Kiesch was there for the surprise.

Man With Cerebral Palsy Attacked, Robbed


A 56-year-old Southern California man with cerebral palsy was recovering Friday night after a violent home invasion robbery.

"I was just afraid for my life," said Brian St. Amant, who uses crutches to get around because of a condition that impairs his motor skills.

A man knocked on St. Amant’s door just before noon Friday, saying they were with Animal Control.

His 1 1/2-year-old pit bull was in the backyard. His screen door was locked, and his wife had just left to run errands.

When he opened the door, St. Amant was met by a man wearing a hoodie and a bandana covering his face.

"He pushed open the door and knocked me to the ground," he said.

In his fall, St. Amant hit a glass on a table that shattered on the floor. While he struggled to get up, he cut his foot.

The intruder demanded money to which St. Amant replied: "I have no money. I’m a disabled man on social security."

The robber took off with a jewelry box, leaving St. Amant on the floor, surrounded by glass.

"It took me three tries. I was shaking," he said.

About 20 minutes later, he was able to reach his cellphone and call police.

Police do not believe the intruder was armed, said Sgt. Ray Marquez, with the Covina Police Department.

More Southern California Stories:

Several Men Sought in Fender-Bender Carjackings


Several men have been intentionally causing fender-benders in order to coax drivers out of their cars so they can be stolen, according to D.C. police.

D.C. police are investigating three carjackings and one attempted carjacking in northeast and southeast D.C. in which the men are rear end a victim’s car and drive away with both vehicles when the victim gets out to inspect the damage.

The first carjacking took place Aug. 28 at about 7 a.m. at the intersection of Alabama Avenue and Naylor Street SE.

The second carjacking was Tuesday at  9:47 a.m. at the intersection of Division and Eastern avenues in Northeast. A woman was pushed out of the way when she got out to inspect the damage.

At 10:21 a.m. that day, a second attempt failed when the victim stayed in her car at the intersection of Fort Davis Drive and Massachusetts Avenue in Southeast and told the man she was calling police, prompting him to flee.

The individuals successfully completed another carjacking Thursday at 8:05 a.m., stealing a vehicle at the intersection of Hartford Street and Alabama Avenue in Southeast.

The offending cars in these cases have been described as a two-door gray vehicle, a black Toyota Avalon and a silver Buick.

The Metropolitan Police Department advises to stay in your vehicle with your doors locked if you are involved in a rear-end collision and call 911 for police assistance. The MPD also asks for information in the make, model and license place of the vehicle and any other defining characteristics of the car or of the people inside.

If you have information about these cases, call 202-727-9099. You can also submit information by text messaging 50411.

Suffield Academy Student Dies


Suffield Academy is mourning the loss of a student who died Friday after being pulled from the school pool on Wednesday.

According to Suffield Academy Headmaster Charlie Cahn, 14-year-old Iheanyichukwu Anyanwu died two days after he was pulled from the school swimming pool.

Anyanwu, of Irvingston, N.J. was participating in a supervised swim time at the school. An instructor pulled him from the pool and performed CPR.

Anyanwu was transported to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, MA on Wednesday night. He was pronounced dead on Friday.

Cahn said in a statement that the school is in shock and devastated at the loss of an exceptional young man.

Fire Also Devastated Boardwalk Nearly 60 Years Ago


As Seaside residents and business owners continue to deal with the aftermath of Thursday’s massive boardwalk fire, the devastating blaze is bringing back memories of another disaster that impacted much of the same area almost 60 years ago.

On June 9, 1955, a fire broke out at a shop on the corner of Ocean Terrace and DuPont Avenue in Seaside Heights. Driven by 50 mile per hour winds, the fire spread south, until it was finally placed under control at Stockton Avenue in Seaside Park, according to Emil R. Salvini, author of “Boardwalk Memories: Tales of the Jersey Shore.” Salvini states that the fire destroyed three blocks of the boardwalk.

Credit: YouTube.com

The fire became known as the Freeman’s Fire, named after the Freeman’s Amusements enterprise, which suffered heavy losses in the blaze, including the destruction of a hand-carved carousel. Freeman’s Fire destroyed 85 buildings and caused an estimated $4 million in damages, according to the Asbury Park Press. Governor Christie estimates that Thursday’s blaze destroyed at least 30 businesses.

While the cause of Thursday’s fire is still under investigation, Salvini writes that a “faulty neon sign” is believed to have started the 1955 fire.

J. Stanley Tunney, the Mayor of Seaside Heights at the time and owner of Freeman’s Amusements, as well as his associates managed to rebuild the pier and open it for next season. They also created Funtown U.S.A. which eventually became Funtown Pier, on the border of Seaside Heights and Seaside Park. Funtown Pier was one of the many structures damaged in Thursday’s massive blaze.

While those impacted by Thursday’s fire face an uncertain future, the Freeman’s Fire can at least provide proof that the boardwalk is more than capable of bouncing back. It’s a hope that many Seaside business owners, including Lou Cappetta, are holding onto.

“We’ll pull through this,” Cappetta said. “We will.”

Photo Credit: YouTube.com/Chris308Martin

State Lawmakers Push Expansion of Video Gambling


Some Connecticut lawmakers are calling for an expansion of video gambling in response to growing competition in the Northeast gaming market.

A task force is looking into bringing video gambling, such as video slot machines, to gaming halls that offer betting on simulcast races in Bridgeport, New Haven and Windsor Locks.

That would require changes to state law, which currently forbids video gambling, and the compacts with Connecticut's two tribal-owned casinos, the only places where it is allowed in the state.

State Rep. Peggy Sayers, of Windsor Locks, said expanding local offerings could boost Connecticut businesses as proposals advance for a casino in western Massachusetts.

Mary Drexler of the Connecticut Council on Problem Gambling says it is worried about potentially exposing more people to gambling.


Copyright Associated Press/NBC Connecticut

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Two People Shot Outside New Haven Nightclub


As people left Pulse Nightclub and Lounge in New Haven early Saturday morning police say multiple fights broke out ending with two people being shot.

"I can't control what goes on outside the club and what goes on on the streets of New Haven. That's the city's job," said Pulse Nightclub and Lounge owner Jason Cutler.

As police worked to control a fight in the courtyard outside the club, another fight took place outside Gateway Community College at the corner of Church and Crown Streets. That altercation ended in shots fired and left two men injured.

24-year-old Timothy Charles, of Hamden, was shot in the hand and 21-year-old  Kirt Swan, of New Haven, was shot in his upper back.

Charles and Swan were taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital and are being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

"Usually we walk without any worry, and now we may not be able to," said Dan, a New Haven resident.

Police say both victims attended a hip-hop party promoted by Pulse Nightclub and believe both men were involved in the fight.

Cutler says he feels like he's being singled out by police.

"That's three blocks away from here yet they're pointing the finger at the club. Also, the shooting happened at 2:13 in the morning, almost 45 minutes after the club let out," said Cutler.

A spokesperson for New Haven Police called the violence an inexcusable occurrence saying, "Violence to this degree is not typical, but when it occurs in New Haven, it almost always stems from a venue that had promoted a hip-hop event."

"I have a hip-hop night every Friday for the last two and a half years, and I have not had any issues before that," said Cutler.

Police say they've recently stepped up their presence in the area to promote safety in the downtown nightclub district, and Cutler says his club has security guards and everyone who enters gets patted down. But some who live in the area say they no longer feel safe walking the streets at night.

"For the last year we've been looking to get out. We've been looking to move," said Ashley, a New Haven resident.

Detectives from the New Haven Police Major Crimes Division, along with the Bureau of Identification and the Office of Information Technology are investigating.

Anyone with information or who witnessed the shooting or the fights are urged to contact New Haven Police at 203-946-6304. Calls may be made anonymously.

8 Kids Injured in Chicago School Bus Crash


At least eight kids were hospitalized after a school bus was involved in a four-vehicle crash on Lake Shore Drive Saturday afternoon.

Police said the accident took place around 1:23 p.m. at Lake Shore Drive and Balbo Avenue when a school bus traveling southbound on Lake Shore Drive struck a vehicle stopped in traffic.

The vehicle then crashed into the car in front of it and a University of Illinois Chicago police car traveling behind the school bus then rear-ended the bus, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala.

Eight juveniles were taken to Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago with minor injuries, Zala said.

No other injuries were reported in the crash.

Top Naval Officer Relieved of Duty for Falsifying Records


A commanding officer abroad the Navy hospital ship USNS Mercy was relieved of duty after allegations surfaced that he falsified physical fitness records, the Navy reported Friday.

Capt. William Cogar, 59, served as commanding officer aboard the Mercy since March 2013 but was relieved of his duties by commander of the military sealift command, Rear Adm. Thomas Shannon, according to the Navy.

The move came after an investigation of Cogar’s records found “irregularities” including false official statements.

At an admiral’s mast, a non-judicial punishment procedure, Cogar was found to have negligently failed to comply with and execute the requirements of a physical readiness program.

After the mast, Cogar was reassigned to Navy Medical Center San Diego.

Capt. Jeffrey Paulson, a former commanding officer of the Mercy's hospital, was put in Cogar’s place until a permanent replacement could be found.

Mother Jailed in Children's Slayings


Police arrested the mother of two children whose bodies were discovered in a Santa Ana hotel room Saturday after the woman apparently tried to kill herself in a nearby city, authorities said.

The 42-year-old woman from Scottsdale, Ariz., was questioned at a nearby hospital then booked into jail on murder charges, said Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

Her identity was being withheld while coroner's officials tried to track down the children's father, Bertagna said.

The woman told police about the children after she crashed her car about 8 a.m. in an apparent suicide attempt behind a Home Depot in the 2300 block of Harbor Boulevard in Costa Mesa (map), police said.

When officers arrived, she refused to come out of the car and attempted to strangle herself with an electrical cord, police told NBC4. She intentionally crashed into an electrical box with propane tanks in her front seat, but the propane did not ignite, according to Costa Mesa police.

Officers had to smash out one of the side windows to get her out of the car.

"As she was getting processed to the hospital, she made some statements that indicated a crime might have occurred (in Santa Ana)," Costa Mesa police Sgt. Tim Starn told City News Service.

Costa Mesa police notified Santa Ana officers about 8:20 a.m to check on the welfare of two children at the hotel, Bertagna said.

Officers found the bodies in a third-floor room after 9 a.m. at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Santa Ana and opened a homicide investigation into the case, officials said. Police sources told NBC4 they were found in the bathtub.

Police wouldn't disclose how the children died until a coroner's investigation is complete, but said that there were no signs the children were shot or stabbed.

Officials would not disclose the gender or age of the children.

Though the mother was living in Scottsdale, she had a previous address in San Jose and her gray 2006 Honda Accord had Georgia license plates, Bertagna said.

City News Service contributed to this report.

View Larger Map

More Southern California Stories:


Speed Camera Intentionally Set on Fire


A portable speed camera in Glenelg, Md., was set on fire Saturday morning and police say the blaze was intentional.

Howard County Police received a 911 call from a newspaper deliveryman around 5 a.m., stating an electrical box was on fire in the 14000 block of Burntwoods Road near Glenelg High School.

When fire crews arrived, they discovered it wasn’t an electrical box, but a speed camera that was ablaze.

Arson investigators determined the fire had been intentionally set.

The damaged equipment has been removed and will be replaced in time for the start of school on Monday morning.

Armed Robbery in Manchester


Manchester police responded to a Walgreens Pharmacy at 49 Deming St. after an employee called in to report an armed robbery.

Police received the call just before 10 a.m. on Sunday morning.

When officers arrived, an employee told them that a man had entered the store with a weapon.

According to police, the suspect approached the pharmacy counter and pulled out a black handgun and robbed the pharmacy of oxycodone.

The suspect fled the scene. Police are searching for him now. He is described as a possibly clean shaven man in his 30's or 40's, wearing a dark blue hooded sweat shirt, long cargo style shirts with brown or black shoes. He was also wearing aviator style sunglasses, police said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Manchester Police at 860-645-5510.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live