Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Avatar Coming to Mohegan Sun


Props from the highest grossing movie of all time, James Cameron’s "Avatar," are coming to Mohegan Sun this weekend, Nov. 15 to 17.

Guests can view the original 15-foot high, 2,600 pound RDA Soldier AMP Suit worn by "Avatar" movie character Colonel Miles Quaritch, which is currently on display in the casino.

Guests can also view a luminescent replica of the Tree of Souls and pose with Na’vi warriors on anamorphic eye-popping art.

The Avatar-themed celebration will commemorate International Game Technology’s James Cameron’s Avatar Video Slots coming to Mohegan Sun’s casino floor. The product was named 2014 “Best Slot Product” by Global Gaming Business and is making its East Coast debut at Mohegan Sun.

Visit mohegansun.com for a detailed schedule of this weekend's Avatar-themed event.

New Baby Hope Tombstone Unveiled


The family of the slain 4-year-old girl known for decades as Baby Hope and the investigators who spent years tracking down her killer got some closure Friday as her real name was finally put on her tombstone. 

Holy water and tears marked the unveiling of the headstone, newly engraved with the name Anjelica Castillo below the only name she's had for decades, Baby Hope. Fr. Rudy Gonzalez declared at the ceremony at St. Raymond's Cemetery in the Bronx, "Bless the engraving of Anjelica's name and bless any child who at this moment may be suffering at the hands of evil hearts." 

Her mother and other family members left flowers and candles for a loved one who would now be 26 years old. 

"I'm just glad that her name is on her stone," said the girl's sister Lorena Castillo. 

In 1991, the body of then 4-year-old Anjelica was discovered in a cooler by the highway near Washington Heights. She had been sexually abused and suffocated. 

"We couldn't imagine how anybody could be so cruel to such an innocent little child," said retired detective Jerry Giorgio. 

Giorgio and retired chief Joseph Resnick were lead investigators on the original case, one that went cold but was never forgotten. Police gave the unknown child the name Baby Hope and paid for her tombstone. 

"I'm sad, the fact that we have a dead little girl who should now be 26 years old, vibrant, working, perhaps bearing children herself," said Resnick.

Last July, police relaunched their efforts on the 22nd anniversary of the date the slain child was found, blitzing Washington Heights with posters bearing her sketch. The very next day, Crime Stoppers got a call. 

Det. Elena Donnell said the caller "gave specific family members, where to look -- ethnicity, origin, approximate dates of birth, and she turned out to be right." 

The case broke wide open in October with the arrest of 52-year-old Conrado Juarez, a cousin on Anjelica's father's side. Juarez, who has said he was coerced into a confession, was charged with murder and is due back in court Nov. 21. 

Autistic Boy's Missing Dog Returned


An autistic boy's beloved Labrador retriever that went missing last week has been returned to his family by a woman who says she found it wandering and took it home.

The boy's mother, Emily Fontana, said the family was "beyond thrilled and grateful" that Echo the dog was back home. Echo has been a best friend to 5-year-old Mark Fontana, who cannot communicate with words.

Watch the full video of Mark and Echo's heartwarming reunion

The family had waited a year to get the dog from a nonprofit, and she arrived on Mark's birthday.

"There's something about Echo that has brought a calm and peace to Mark, and by extension, our whole family," his mother said.

But the pup went missing on Nov. 6, last seen about a block from the Fontanas' home in Rye, N.Y.

After more than a week and a half of searching for Echo, the family got a phone call Friday. 

"They said 'I think I might have your missing dog,' and my heart stopped," said Emily Fontana. 

The woman who returned the dog told the family she saw news stories about the missing pup and brought her back.

"A good Samaritan found her and gave the dog to her sister in the Bronx, and the sister had Echo safe and sound," said Fontana. "She was on a couch, she was warm, she was fed, and we're so grateful for that." 

Emily Fontana walked to school with Echo Friday afternoon to surprise Mark, and NBC 4 New York captured the happy reunion. Echo licked the boy's face as he laughed and smiled, emotions his mother hasn't seen since the dog disappeared. 

Then Mark was tethered to Echo, his constant companion, and the old friends walked back home for the first time in nine days. 

Cancer Patient's Inspiring Video


Morgan Platt is the embodiment of courage.

After being diagnosed with a brain tumor in June 2011, the 10-year-old Avon, Conn., girl decided to fight back and inspire others along her journey.

During an appointment at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, she decided to make a music video, using Katy Perry’s “Roar."

Morgan and mom, Kathy, managed to get nurses, physicians, other patients and parents involved and you just have to see the results.

Morgan hopes the video will go viral and raise awareness about her condition and the other types of cancers being treated at the local hospital.

“It’s these little bursts of greatness for these kids that keep them going. I’m so proud of Morgan.  She’s defying the odds!,” Kathy Platt said.

Hole In The Wall Gang, a New Haven based non-profit that actor Paul Newman founded in 1988, helped shoot and edit the video. 

Click here to see Morgan’s video and help spread her inspiring message.

Domino's Delivery Driver Robbed in Bristol


Bristol police are investigating the robbery of a Domino’s delivery driver the early morning of Nov. 16.

According to police, a Domino’s delivery driver reported being robbed by two young men after making a delivery around 12:45 a.m. Saturday. It happened in the area of 90 Wolcott Street.

The victim told police he was approached by two men who demanded money, which he handed over. One of the men then searched the driver and took additional cash. The exact amount of money stolen is unknown.

The robbers are described as white or Hispanic men between the ages of 15 and 20 with medium builds. Both were wearing blue coats and one had a hood, police said. They fled on Lawndale Avenue following the robbery.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 860-584-3000.

Allen Street Closed in New Britain Due to Fire


Allen Street is closed between Carlton Street and Oak Street in New Britain as crews work to fight a house fire.

The fire at 344 Allen Street was reported around 8:15 a.m., according to fire officials. Crews are still at the scene working to put out the flames. Mutual aid was called in from Hartford and West Hartford.

Fire officials said 11 people were living in the three-story home, 10 of whom where inside when the fire broke out. No one was injured in the blaze.

Check back for updates.

View Larger Map

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

New London Police Make Drug Deal Arrest


A New London man is behind bars following a narcotics arrest in the area of Eugene O’Neill Drive and Pearl Street on Friday night.

According to police, 43-year-old Luis A. Gonzales, Jr., of 27 Cutler Street in New London, and another person were involved in a drug deal around 11:30 the night of Nov. 15. Police noticed the suspects while patrolling the downtown bar area on foot.

Gonzales was arrested and charged with possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, criminal possession of a firearm and carrying a pistol without a permit.

He’s being held on a $100,000 bond.

Police said additional charges are pending.

Photo Credit: New London

Norwich Man Faces Threatening, Drug and Weapons Charges


A Norwich man is facing charges after police found that he had violated a protective order and reportedly threatened people with a stolen handgun, authorities said.

According to police, 24-year-old David D. Holland, Jr., of Elizabeth Street in Norwich, went to the home at 8 East Baltic Street around 8 p.m. Friday and threatened the resident with a gun. Police discovered that Holland had a protective order preventing him from contacting that resident. They found him outside the resident and said he had just left the house when officers arrived. Two children were present at the time of the incident, police said.

Police searched Holland and discovered a stolen handgun, marijuana packaged for sale and an unidentified amount of cash. He was arrested at the scene and charged with criminal use of a firearm, criminal possession of a firearm, theft of a firearm, criminal violation of a protective order, possession of marijuana with intent to sell, two counts of risk of injury to a minor, threatening and first-degree reckless endangerment.

Holland is being held on a $100,000 bond and is due in court Nov. 18.

Court records show that Holland has a history of arrest, including narcotics, motor vehicle, larceny, assault and breach of peace charges.

Photo Credit: Norwich Police Department

Passenger's Body Likely Found: Cops


The body of the passenger who reportedly fell out of a small plane into the ocean has likely been found, according to Miami-Dade Police.

Police said they believe a body found in a mangrove area just south of SW 184 Street at 10:30 a.m. Saturday is 42-year-old Gerardo Nales, but authorities said they are waiting for official identification from the Medical Examiner's Office.

Nales fell out of Piper PA46 Thursday about eight miles southeast of Tamiami Airport with no parachute, according to the Federal Aviation Administration. The search for his body went as far south as Turkey Point near Homestead.

The pilot was identified to NBC 6 as Felipe Fons, who received his commercial and instrument certifications when he attended Dean's International Aviation flight school at Tamiami Airport.

In the mayday call Fons made to air traffic controllers, he described the bizarre incident.

"I have a door ajar, and a passenger that fell down. I am six miles from Tamiami," he said.

A little later, the air traffic controller asks: "So you said you had a passenger who fell out of your plane?"

"That is correct, sir. He opened the back door, and he just fall down the plane," the pilot said.

The plane took off from a local airport, located at 12800 SW 137th Ave. in Miami.

Police have not indicated any evidence of foul play and the pilot was very cooperative with the investigation, authorities said.

"There's a lot of questions that need to be answered because of the fact that the detailed involved in the incident of course raise a lot of questions," Miami-Dade Police Spokesman Alvaro Zabaleta said.

More NBC6.com Stories:


Suspect Walks Out of Courthouse


Federal authorities are offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a man who walked out of the federal courthouse in downtown Chicago and disappeared after he was ordered taken into custody.

Ignacio Torres is accused of threatening to kill someone who'd cooperated with prosecutors in his drug case.

Officials have forfeited Torres' $200,000 bond, which was secured by his parents' Chicago property, and are undergoing an intensive search.

Torres is a Hispanic male, approximately 5-foot-8 and 173 pounds, with brown eyes, black hair, and a medium complexion.

The 32 year old was initially arrested on in 2011, and charged with possession of cocaine with intent to distribute after delivering a kilo of cocaine to a cooperating witness near the intersection of Hermitage and Armitage avenues in Chicago, according to authorities.

Torres was on bond in February 2012 and remained free on bond after he pleaded guilty on June 27 this. His sentencing was scheduled for Dec. 11, where he faced a statutory maximum of 40 years in prison.

U.S. Attorney's Office spokesman Randall Samborn said there was "some uncertainty about how and when he was supposed to report to the (U.S.) Marshal's Service," but that Torres was never supposed to leave the building after the hearing.

He was in court was in court Tuesday because federal prosecutors had filed an emergency motion to revoke his bond, alleging he and others confronted someone last month who had cooperated with prosecutors. Torres threatened to kill the person, calling the person a "snitch" and threw rocks at him or her, prosecutors said.

What is certain is that Torres was required to go into jail sometime on Tuesday.

But it's not clear when he left the building. Samborn said after the hearing in which the judge revoked Torres' bond, the prosecutor and the judge left the courtroom. There were no security officers or marshals in the courtroom at the time, Samborn said.

Samborn also said it was unclear if Torres was supposed to report on his own to the marshal's service in the court building and whether he was given time to say goodbye to family members who attended the hearing.

Anyone with information about Torres' whereabouts is asked to contact the U.S. Marshals Service 1-800-336-0102, or any local law enforcement agency.

3 Arrested After Dancing Atop SUV


A new kind of flash mob stopped traffic in Chicago's Loop this week after a group of people and children started a dance party on top of their SUV, in the middle of a busy intersection.

Police responded to disturbance calls around 1:15 p.m. Thursday at the intersection of LaSalle and Monroe Street after witnesses reported several adults and four children were on top of a Chevy Tahoe dancing in traffic, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Janel Sedevic.

The incident was captured on video by witnesses. The group is seen grooving to Ellie Goulding’s “Lights.”

Police said the three adults were taken into custody and the four children were turned over to the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.

A 59-year-old man, a 36-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman were arrested and charged with misdemeanor counts of “causing a child to be endangered.”

The adults were from San Tan Valley, Ariz., Sedevic said.

WATCH the video here:


Typhoon Relief Event in Hamden


Boxes and bags of heartfelt donations piled up throughout the day at a disaster relief event at at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic church in Hamden.

The Philippine-American Association of Connecticut held the event to help gather supplies for those affected by Super Typhoon Haiyan.

Volunteers packed up medical supplies, clothes, blankets, and food to help the thousands devastated by Super Typhoon Haiyan.

The response was so overwhelming that the Philippine-American Association of Connecticut  kept running out of boxes.

"It makes me feel so happy that people really care," Melanie Goingo.

When 10-year-old Jordan Wieland's mom told her what happened halfway across the world, she knew she had to do something.

"I know a lot of them lost food, money, and a lot of clothes, so I wanted to help so they can feel better," said Wieland.

Many at the event have family in the Philippines and were so grateful for the generosity.

"We have half a roof on our ancestral home, but everyone is alive, thank goodness," said Brenda Sarosario, a nurse at Yale-New Haven Hospital. "Every little bit helps. These people are injured, maimed, and they need everything and anything they can get their hands on."

Along with bringing in much-needed goods, several brought out their checkbooks. The organization even took used cell phones to hopefully help open the lines of communication.

At the event, organizers say they were able to raise around $15,000 and filled 300 boxes of supplies. They expect both those numbers to rise as people who weren't able to make the event continue to call, asking how they can help.

All donations are expected to be shipped out by the end of next week. Organizers say everything will be given to Operation Blessings in the Philippines. That organization will then hand it out to those in need.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Patience Needed in LAX Probe


One day after reports surfaced that a slain Transportation Security Administration officer received help more than 30 minutes after being shot at Los Angeles International Airport this month, federal and local agencies who responded to the incident issued a statement asking for patience while investigations unfold.

The joint statement, released by the Los Angeles World Airports and Federal Bureau of Investigation, among others Saturday, states, “Command officers and airport administrators were faced with a wide range of important objectives, including conducting a complete search to rule out additional gunmen or explosives, identifying all injured victims, and coordinating the needs of the thousands of arriving and departing travelers that were impacted by the incident.

“In the aftermath of an incident of such significance, we are rightfully evaluating where improvements can be made should we ever be faced with such an incident in the future,” the statement continues.

The release characterized some statements surrounding the shooting as untrue, while others “merit serious consideration” by the agencies.

The joint release comes just one day after reports surfaced that there was a more than 30 minute delay of help for TSA Officer Gerardo Hernandez who was fatally shot Nov. 1.

Officials said a federal criminal investigation, an officer-involved shooting investigation and an After Action Workgroup, which analyzes all aspects of the emergency response, are currently underway.

The agencies are awaiting the findings of the After Action Workgroup, which will provide the "best perspective from which to draw conclusions, make recommendations, or take other corrective action,” according to the statement.

The joint release was also issued by the Los Angeles Fire Department, Los Angeles Police Department and the Transportation Security Administration.

More Southern California Stories:


Photo Credit: AP

Man Runs Onto Airfield at O'Hare


A man caused a stir at O’Hare International Airport Saturday afternoon after he was spotted on the airfield.

Chicago Police responded to the disturbance at O’Hare Airport around 3:15 p.m. for a man in an “unauthorized area of the airfield,” according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada.

The man was not armed and was taken into custody, Estrada said.

“The incident had no impact on flight operations and posed no apparent threat to the traveling public,” Karen Pride, spokesperson for the Chicago Department of Aviation, said in a statement.

A witness on a flight from Chicago to Detroit said the man “jumped a perimeter fence and ran toward the plane.”

“[Flight crews] said he jumped a fence, which is about a half-mile away,” said Mario Hernandez.

Hernandez said the flight’s captain said the plane almost hit the man and that he “started waving” in front of the plane.

Police could not confirm any details on the incident but said an investigation is ongoing.

Photo Credit: Mario Hernandez

Abducted Man Reunites with Agents


Agents at the Imperial Beach Border Patrol Station spoke exclusively to NBC 7 San Diego Friday about finding a man in an Imperial Beach canyon and later discovering he was an American citizen who had been abducted as a toddler.

Agent Troy Matthews said around 9 p.m. on Oct. 30, patrolling agents found a disheveled David Amaya, 37, in Goat Canyon with several undocumented immigrants.

They learned Amaya had traveled several hundred miles from near Mexico City to cross the border into the United States.

Amaya told the agents he was an American citizen. Agents at the Imperial Beach station took initiative and looked into his case.

They found Amaya had a birth certificate out of Chicago, and were able to contact Amaya’s mother.

“I get a phone call, ‘Hey Sir, you’re not going to believe this. This guy is telling the truth. We contacted his mother. She’s been looking for him for over 30 years,’“ Agent Matthews said, describing the moment agents pieced everything together.

When they told Amaya they contacted his mother, Agent Matthews said Amaya was visibly overwhelmed with emotion.

“He kept looking around the room trying to make eye contact with somebody to verify. He was looking for the truth. When he realized it, he put his head in his hands and started crying,” Agent Matthews recalled.

Matthews told NBC 7 there wasn’t a dry eye in the room.

“The most touching moment was when he said he was abandoned. His father told him his entire life his mother abandoned him and left him as a baby. The mother said, ‘Please tell him that’s not true. That’s not true. I’ve been looking for him,’“ he explained.

Imperial Beach Border Patrol agents say they were so touched by Amaya's story, they started a collection box for Amaya at the station. They raised about $175 and gave it to Amaya on Friday.

Amaya's story has received national attention, with many strangers coming forward offering donations to help cover travel costs for Amaya to finally reunite with his mother.

If you would like to donate to Amaya's fund, donations can be made at any Cabrillo Credit Union under the account name "David Amaya Barrick."

Additionally, donations can be mailed to:

Cabrillo Credit Union
Re: David Amaya Barrick
10075 Carroll Canyon Road
San Diego, CA 92131

You can also wire money to Cabrillo Credit Union:

Attn: David Amaya Barrick
Routing number: 322274488

In support of David Amaya Barrick and the agents from the Imperial Beach Border Patrol Station, Cabrillo Credit Union donated $250 to get Amaya started.

Vernon Police Search for Pharmacy Robber, Reward Offered


Vernon police are returning to the scene of an armed robbery today to hand out fliers and search for information that could lead them to the robber.

A $2,5000 reward is being offered for information leading to the robber’s arrest.

According to police, the Walgreens pharmacy at 529 Talcottville Road in Vernon was robbed around 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 9. Police believe the suspect is connected to several other pharmacy robberies in surrounding towns, including Manchester, South Windsor, Meriden and East Hartford.

He’s described as a white male with a handgun, between 45 and 55 years old. Police said he stands between 5’10” and 6’0” tall and has a “muscular to husky” build. At the time of the Vernon robbery, he was wearing a dark gray, flat-brimmed baseball cap with sunglasses and a long-sleeved dark sweatshirt.

Police will be on scene at the Walgreens from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 16 to hand out fliers and look for witnesses, including anyone who might have seen unusual people or cars in the area.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 888-479-8477 or Vernon police at 860-872-9126.

Photo Credit: Vernon Police Department

Winchester Voters Approve Bank Loan to Keep Schools Open


Voters in Winchester headed to the polls today to decide the fate of the town's public schools, which were in danger of  closing next month.

Residents of the Winsted section of Winchester decided the town should take out a multi-million dollar bank loan to keep its schools open past December.

The town's financial crisis points back to Henry Centrella Jr., Winchester's former finance director. Last year, state police arrested Centrella on multiple larceny charges after a town audit revealed that $2 million had gone unaccounted for between January 2008 and November 2012.

"Interrupting children in the middle of the school year is not fair," said Jennifer Royer, a Winchester parent.

In September, the local school board asked the state to investigate whether the town was meeting its obligations to its students, according to the Register Citizen.

State law requires the town to provide its school system with at least the same amount of funding as last year – currently $19,958,149, the Register Citizen reports. At its October meeting, the Board of Education voted unanimously to move forward with state proceedings against the school district.

"As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing more important than educating our children," said voter Cindy Royce.


Dog Serves as Blind Brother's Guide


A dog’s loyalty knows no boundaries, especially when it comes to its own blood. Two stray dogs found in Philadelphia are providing a heartwarming example of this. The Chester County SPCA posted a photo of the dogs, Jeffrey and his brother Jermaine, embracing each other while sleeping.

The photo itself is a perfect representation of their relationship. Jeffrey is blind. According to the SPCA, his brother Jermaine has dedicated his life to be his guide dog, helping him move around.

"The unconditional love and devotion these two dogs show is positively inspirational," wrote an SPCA spokesperson on the group's Facebook page.

Both dogs, approximately 8-months-old and believed to be lab-pit bull mixes, were found on the streets of Philadelphia back on October 5 and taken in by Operation Ava, a no-kill animal rescue organization.

"They were obviously a little bit scared and confused' said Ray Little, the Director of Life Saving at Operation Ava. "It was immediately apparent that Jeffrey was leaning on Jermaine and that Jermaine was making every effort to stay with his brother."

According to Little, the two brothers are inseparable.

"They're always pretty much touching each other," Little said. "Jeffrey really does try to maintain contact with Jermaine, especially when he's in an unfamiliar environment. As soon as he gets familiar with a new place, then he becomes a little bit more independent. But it's amazing how they try to maintain contact with each other."

While Little acknowledges that dogs are incredible social animals, he believes the case of Jeffrey and Jermaine is a special one.

"I think this is a little bit extraordinary in my experience because they're so careful with one another and play together so well," Little said. "It almost seems like Jermaine understands that Jeffrey has an issue seeing."

Since the photo of the two dogs was posted, Little says the response has been tremendous.

"Yesterday we had two phone lines busy all day," he said. "Between yesterday and today, I've received over 300 emails. We've been contacted by people as far away as South Africa and the United Kingdom. Many phone calls came from Canada and South America. And I think we've heard from every state in the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii."

Now the two dogs are in need of a home and despite the overwhelming response, Little says there are still significant hurdles to overcome before they find one.

"We're hoping that people come here directly to the shelter but not many have done that," Little said. "It's always best for potential adopters to meet the dogs. We have only received two applications and we're still waiting to hear from references."

If you're interested in adopting the two dogs, Little is encouraging you to not only call Operation Ava at 215-240-1240 but to also visit the center, located at N. 3rd Street in Philadelphia, and see the dogs yourself.

"Meet with them, brings IDs and references so they can get started with the application right away," Little said. "Bring three personal references from people you know rather than veterinary references. The two that we have are veterinary and we can't get in touch with them over the weekend."

For more information on the adoption requirements, visit the Operation Ava website.


Photo Credit: Chester County SPCA

Waterbury Man in Critical Condition After Being Struck on I-84


A Waterbury man is in critical condition after driving his car off the road on Interstate 84 in Middlebury early Sunday morning, then being struck by oncoming traffic, police said.

According to police, 24-year-old William Maceo of Waterbury was traveling eastbound on I-84 before 6 a.m. Sunday when he veered off the road, crossing onto the median. Maceo’s SUV, owned by LG Roofing, flipped onto its roof on the westbound side of the highway.

Maceo got out and was standing next to the SUV when he was struck by two cars driving westbound, police said. He received serious head injuries and was taken by hospital to Waterbury Hospital, then transferred to Hartford Hospital, where he is listed in critical condition.

One of the other drivers, 27-year-old Tyler Musshorn of Burlington, was also taken to Waterbury Hospital for treatment of minor injuries. The third driver, Gary Newhart, 46, of Wolcott, was not injured, according to police.

Middlebury fire officials, crews from the state Department of Transportation and a state police accident reconstruction team responded to the scene.

The highway was shut down for about three hours while authorities investigated.

Anyone with information is asked to contact State Police Troop A at 203-267-2200.

Photo Credit: Patricia Daniels

Severe Weather for Ravens-Bears


The Chicago Bears resumed their game against the Baltimore Ravens Sunday afternoon after severe weather prompted an evacuation of Soldier Field. The game resumed at about 2:20 p.m. CDT after nearly a two-hour postponement.

According to NBC 5’s Cheryl Scott, weather was bad news for fans heading to Soldier Field for the Bears’ game against the Baltimore Ravens:

The game started at noon, and according to the National Weather Service, the three-hour window in which the Bears were supposed to be playing was going to be rife with scattered thunderstorms, and was the best chance for there to be isolated tornadoes around the Chicago area.

"We've seen all kinds of weather in Chicago," said General Manager of Soldier Field Tim LeFevour. "We always talk about Bears weather, Bear football weather... this might be a little extreme."

LeFevour said objects that could come loose in the storm are being taken down before the game and evacuation procedures are in place.

"The priority is to get fans to safe zones in the event of severe weather," he said.

LeFevour also said there is a possibility that fans could be evacuated before players are taken off the field. Estimates in place for the event of an evacuation during the game are that it would take about 15-20 minutes to get fans to safety in the event of a weather warning. 

At 10am, the Chicago Office of Emergency Management and Communications issued a press release urging fans to "take extra precautions" at Soldier Field. The release cited potential wind gusts of over 70 MPH and the possibility of cloud-to-ground lightning and large hail as reasons for concern. 

Even if the weather only ends up featuring heavy rainfall, that could still be an issue for Bears fans according to our Peggy Kusinski: 

Not only is there a threat of severe weather to worry about (the NFL will stop the game if there is lightning, and cannot continue the contest until 30 minutes elapses between lightning strikes), but the wind will also be a factor in the game. Forecasted wind speeds at the start of the game will be averaging over 25 mph, and will likely be gusting well above that throughout the contest.

Those kind of wind speeds will not only wreak havoc on the kickers in the game, but the passing game for both teams is going to be severely compromised by the conditions. The Bears will likely be affected less with Josh McCown favoring a shorter game over the middle of the field, but the Ravens and Joe Flacco are going to lose their deep threats like Torrey Smith if conditions end up as forecasted when the kickoff occurs.

Stay tuned to NBC 5 Chicago throughout the day for all the latest weather updates, and follow @CherylScottWX on Twitter for instantaneous updates.

Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live