Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Snow to Cause Mess for Monday


Tomorrow will bring cooler temperatures and some snow, with most accumulation concentrated along the shoreline.

Winter weather advisories are in effect for all of southern Connecticut Monday.

Highs today will be in the upper 40s and some light rain could arrive mid- to late-afternoon as a cold front moves through and temperatures dip below freezing.

Lows tonight will hover between 25 and 30 degrees.

Snow will arrive tomorrow morning and could start up along the Interstate 95 corridor as early as 5 a.m. and 9 a.m., according to Meteorologist Ryan Hanrahan. Highs tomorrow will be in the 30s.

The shoreline could receive localized accumulations of between 4 and 6 inches. Inland Connecticut will see 2 to 4 inches of snow.

This could make the roads slick and affect the Monday morning commute, Sweeney said. Snow will likely continue to fall throughout the day and should wrap up around the evening commute.

Tuesday will be mostly cloudy and dry and a wintry mix will move in Wednesday. Snow will likely accumulate before the morning commute and could change over to freezing rain as the day wears on.

Another storm cell could move in over the weekend. Our weather team is keeping an eye on it and will update you with more information as it develops.

Role Playing Game Cards Stolen from Newington Store


Newington police have arrested a Meriden man accused of stealing role playing game cards from a Newington shop that is connected to the ConnectiCon conference held each year in Hartford.

Police responded the report of a possible burglary in progress at ConnectiCon, at 705 North Mountain Road in Newington, at 12:08 a.m.

The owner contacted police after finding an unoccupied running vehicle backed up to the building. 

Officers established a perimeter, found Keith Erskine, 38, of Meriden, leaving the building leaving the building and took him into custody, police said.

He has been charged with third-degree burglary, third-degree larceny, possession of burglary tools, second-degree criminal trespass and third-degree criminal mischief.

The shop sells board and card games, as well as tabletop roleplaying games, dice and assorted accessories, Magic the Gathering, YuGiOh, Cardfight Vanguard, and other games, according to its Facebook page.

The shop is an extension of ConnectiCon, a conference that brings thousands of people into Hartford each year.

The next ConnectiCon convention will be held at the Connecticut Convention Center from July 10 to 13.

Photo Credit: Newington Police

Route 17 Closed in Durham


Route 17 in Durham is closed in both directions near Barbara Lane after a car struck a pole in the area of 1180 New Haven Road.

Police said a pole is across the road and multiple injuries reported.

The road is also closed at the North Branford line.


View Larger Map

Photo Credit: Michele Jones, of Durham

Watertown Controller Accused of Stealing $100,000 from Company


A financial controller for a Watertown company has been arrested, accused of stealing around $100,000 from the company over two years.

Police said Lorrie Cappello, 59, of Wallingford, worked as a financial controller for a manufacturing business on Commercial Street in Watertown and is suspected of altering and forging signatures on around 40 checks made payable to herself.

Police were contacted about the suspected theft when the corporate accountant noticed a financial anomaly, so authorities seized bank records.

Detective investigates and determined that Cappello stole approximately $100,000 from the business over a two-year span, police said.

Cappello was charged with larceny in first degree, 19 counts of forgery in the first degree and 19 counts of identity theft in the second degree.

On 1/10/14, Watertown Police arrested
Cappello was held on a $5000.00 bond and was arraigned on Jan. 27. 

Photo Credit: Watertown Police

Couple Plans Wedding in 24 Hours


College sweethearts Anthony and Aly Femia wanted a long engagement, but their plans changed so the bride's terminally ill mother could see them tie the knot.

Just over a week ago, Aly's mother Mary Quinn found out she had lung cancer that spread to her brain, Buzzfeed reported. Doctors told her the cancer was incurable and she had a short time left to live. 

When Aly asked the doctors when she should have her wedding so her mother could be there, they responded, "tomorrow."

Anthony proposed to Aly during a weekend getaway on December 14, 2012 and the Connecticut couple wasn't planning on tying the knot until September 2015, according to Buzzfeed. But after hearing the doctor's diagnosis, the couple decided to get married right away.

They got their marriage certificate from New Haven City Hall that day and the planning, which was orginally projected to take over a year, was completed in under 24 hours with the help of staff at Yale-New Haven Hospital where Aly's mom is staying.

"The hospital was incredible. They made my wedding possible," Aly said.

The stafff took her dress shopping, donated food, flowers and the cake. Some of them even bought her a bracelet as her "something new" and a social worker also brought Aly her grandmother's hankerchief to be her "something old" at the ceremony.

"Today is incredibly bittersweet as I marry the love of my life at the hospital with my mom," Aly wrote in a Facebook post on January 29.

The hallways were filled with doctors and nurses as Aly's stepdad walked her down the aisle and the hospital chaplain performed the ceremony (Aly's biological father died of metastatic lung cancer 16 years ago).

"My favorite part of the day was having my mom see me in my wedding dress, wearing a string of her pearls and seeing her smile," Aly said. "I'm so glad that she was there to watch me say 'I do' and see me marry my best friend."

Photo Credit: AP

Police Issue Warning About Hostage Scam


Milford police are issuing a warning about a several residents received calls from scammers claiming that a family member has been involved in a crash and is being held hostage unless the caller receives money.

Police have received three reports of such calls and they are investigating.

The victims are instructed to electronically wire the money through Western Union to a person and location the caller provides, with the promise that the family member will be released once the funds are received, police said.

One victim electronically wired $500 and another victim wired $3,600, police said.
The third person was aware of the scam and hung up the phone.

One victim reported to police the male voice seemed “to be of Latin descent.”

Milford police will be alerting local businesses that offer Western Union Services of the scam to alert potential victims.

If you receive any type of phone call, letter or email that asks you to send money in this manner it is usually a scam, police warn.

Here are some tips to protect yourself from becoming a scam victim.

  • Be hesitant of any unsolicited phone call, emails, text messages or letters you receive.
  • Do not provide any personal information to the caller or respond to the email.
  • Ask the name of the relative they are calling you about.
  • Contact that relative to verify there is no problem.
  • Avoid sending any money via electronic wiring services or providing your banking/credit card information to the fraudster.
  • Scammers obtain the information they use from social media sites, marketing lists and other sources. Limit their access to your information.
  • Perform an Internet search of the phone number or email address regarding potential scam activities related to it.

Milford police ask anyone with information about these types of scams to call Detective Chila at (203) 877-1465, email dchila@ci.milford.ct.us or submit a tip online.

Man Found Dead Near Farmington Reservoir Had Been in Crash 2 Days Earlier


The man whose body was found on the shore of Farmington Reservoir on Friday died of hypothermia and pre-existing conditions, according to the preliminary autopsy report. His body was found near where he'd been involved in a crash two days earlier.

Police said they are still waiting on the office of the medical examiner to release final autopsy and toxicology results.

Someone who was ice fishing found the body of Louis Fix, 35, and called police at 1:30 p.m., according to police.

Police said Fix had been involved in a minor collision two days earlier, on Wednesday, and abandoned the vehicle before officers arrived at the scene.

Police described the accident as minor and said there was no indication anyone had been injured in the crash.

Witnesses also told police that they had spoken with Fix and he did not appear to be injured, police said. 

Police searched for Fix, but did not find him. They said they do not know why he left the scene of the crash of whether he left the area and then returned.

Reservoir Road was closed from Route 6 to Diamond Glen Road as police investigated.

Anyone with information pertinent to this investigation is asked to call the Farmington Police Department at 860-675-2400.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Had Child Porn, Recorded Woman: Cops


Naugatuck police have arrested a Danbury man has been charged with possession of child pornography as well as recording a woman getting dressed and engaging in sex.

Police started investigating a child pornography case in November 2012 and obtained a warrant for Marshall Falzone, 50, of Danbury.

Police said Marshall downloaded several images of child pornography and recorded an adult female acquaintance without her knowledge as she was engaging in sexual activity and getting dressed.

Marshall has been charged with possessing child pornography and voyeuristic recording of another person.

Marshall turned himself in on Jan. 31, appeared in Waterbury Superior Court on Jan. 31 and was released on a $75,000, according to court records.

Photo Credit: Naugatuck Police

Struggling Waitress Gets $1,075 Tip


A struggling waitress in Tennessee got a reprieve from her mounting bills in the nick of time from generous strangers who left her a $1,075 tip.

Knoxville waitress Khadijah Muhammad's fateful bill was one for just $29.30, for a small meal she served to a couple and their young son on Jan. 22 — the same day she had received a disconnection notice from her local utility for not having paid her bill, Knoxville's NBC affiliate WBIR reported.

"They really did not stand out. They were just nice folks," Muhammad recalled of the generous couple she served at Cheddar's recently, along with their young child.

"I remember talking to them and having a friendly conversation like you would with a neighbor. The father ordered a country steak. The mother and son split a fish taco. They split it. They were really humble people," she told WBIR.

When she came to the table at the end of the family's meal to pick up their check, she found the receipt turned upside down.

"Normally as a server, when a receipt is turned upside down it means you did not get a good tip or any tip. Or people will leave a nasty note about how you messed something up with their service. I remember thinking, 'I wonder what I did wrong.' Then I picked it up and I just was in shock," Muhammad said.

As it turned out, she hadn't done anything wrong.

"I just remember seeing a comma after the one and knew it wasn't $10. And I was like, 'Oh, my God!' And I just lost my balance and I was like, 'Does this say a thousand dollars?' I could not believe it," she told WBIR.

The tip came accompanied by a note explaining the family's generosity: "Jesus has blessed us & we were led to give it to you! God bless!"

Muhammad was especially touched by the gesture because it came just as she was struggling to pay her bills, after having had to take time off work to visit her mother, who had suffered a heart attack, she said.

And Muhammad, who spends much of her time serving food to homeless people when not waitressing, told the station she was humbled by the generous tip and intended to show the same kind of selflessness to somebody else.

"I'm humbled. I'm grateful. I do believe that God led you to me at this time in my life," she said of her tippers. "I hope and pray that someday I'm able to do this for somebody. And at the first opportunity I will do it."

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Police Investigating After Worker Suffers Serious Head Injury in Shelton


Police are investigating after a 31-year-old Shelton man collapsed on the floor of SureSource LLC around 1:30 p.m. on Monday and suffered a serious head injury.

The man was taken to Griffin Hospital.

Police have not released his name, but said he is an employee of the company, which is located at 20 Constitution Blvd S
The Shelton Police Detective Bureau responded to the scene and is assisting in the investigation, but said there were no apparent signs of foul play.


Photo Credit: Shutterstock

In Memoriam


Take a look back at those we lost in 2013 and 2014.

Photo Credit: AP

Armed Teen Was Seeking Bully: Cops


A student thought to be skipping class was found to be armed and heading back to school to confront a bully, San Diego police said Monday.

A 15-year-old freshman at Serra High School was arrested last week and booked into juvenile hall after an unloaded semi-automatic handgun was found in his backpack as he was heading to campus, according to police.

Lt. Steve Behrendt tells NBC 7 San Diego that the youth informed detectives he was planning to confront another student who had been bullying him.

Behrendt said detectives detained the student and a friend near Serra High last Wednesday morning on suspicion of truancy, and that the youth volunteered that he was carrying a weapon.

Police said it was a 1911 military-grade .45 caliber sidearm that belonged to his late father, and was kept by his uncle in a lock box that the youth admitted breaking into.

According to Behrendt, the teen faces possible prosecution on a count of possessing a firearm on a school campus -- because he had previously dropped by De Portola Middle School to speak to a former teacher who was unaware of the weapon.


Teen Skydiver May Recover Fully


Doctors at the Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation say a teen who plummeted 3,500 feet to the ground last month walked with assistance Monday and may make a full recovery.

Makenzie Wethington, 16, was severely injured when her parachute malfunctioned Jan. 25 while skydiving over Chickasha, Okla.

Dr. Seema Sikka, the physician overseeing Wethington's care at Dallas' Baylor Institute of Rehabilitation, said Monday the teen's prognosis for a full recovery is very good.

During a news conference, Sikka said doctors are still conducting cognitive evaluations but that Wethington is having no trouble communicating with those around her.

Sikka outlined some of Wethington's outstanding issues, mainly fractures to the spine, hip, pelvis and ribs. She said she didn't expect Wethington would need any surgeries in her recovery other than what may be required to fix dental fractures.

Sikka said Wethington's main challenges in her recovery will be pain management. She'll need to find the balance so that she can take part in activities while healing without over-sedating.

"I think, for her, it's going to be mainly giving herself actually some time to recover. She's a young girl she wants to get out there again with her friends, be active," said Sikka. "The main challenge is going to be stepping back a little and give her some time to heal and recover and, kind of, being able to understand what that means for her."

Sikka said that Wethington may need to remain in rehab for several weeks, but that she would know more about the teen's recovery timeline in the coming days.

"Her strength and her movement of her extremities and her sensation appears pretty intact, so I think her spinal cord itself has been pretty intact," said Sikka.

Wethington's mother and father, Holly and Joe, were at the news conference Monday and also spoke on their daughter's behalf.

"It's amazing the things the school is doing for her. The pep rally, as soon as she got pictures sent to her, you know, it put a smile on her face. She's real happy that everybody, you know, really, loves and supports her and sending all the prayers," said Holly Wethington.

Last week, Makenzie's father said his daughter's parachute did not fully deploy when she jumped. The owner of the sky diving company, Bob Swainson of Pegasus Air Sports Center, has said there was nothing wrong with the parachute and that he believes Mackenzie did not follow instructions given during her training.

After a little more than a week, the teenager was discharged from the University of Oklahoma Medical Center so that she could continue rehabilitation in North Texas.

Photo Credit: Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation

Sex Crime Charges For School Admin.


A 40-year-old woman was charged with having illegal sexual contact with two underage girls while she was a teacher and school administrator in Southern California, prosecutors said on Monday.

Andrea Michelle Cardosa (pictured) has been charged with 16 felony counts, including aggravated sexual assault on a child under the age of 14, lewd acts on a child under the age of 14, and six counts of lewd acts on a child 14 or 15 years of age while the defendant is at least 10 years older than the victim, according to the Riverside County District Attorney's Office.

Cardosa could face life in prison if convicted, officials said.

She was arrested on a $5 million warrant at 5:45 p.m. in the city of Perris by a Riverside County sheriff’s warrant team, officials said.

The case involving Cardosa came to light in January after Jane Doe 1, who is now an adult, found out that Cardosa was a school administrator at Alhambra High School in Los Angeles County and called Cardosa.

That call was both video and audio taped, and the alleged victim posted the taped conversation on YouTube.

Riverside detectives then began an investigation into the allegations that Cardosa had illegal sexual contact with Jane Doe 1 while the victim was a student at a middle school in the city of Riverside and continued while she was in high school.

The crimes involving Jane Doe 1 allegedly occurred from 1997 to 2001.

Within days of posting of the video on YouTube, Jane Doe 2 – also an adult – came
forward to report that she also had been victimized by Cardosa when she was a student at a high school in Perris in 2009 or 2010, prosecutors said.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Facebook Turns 10 Tuesday


Facebook is turning 10 on Tuesday, and it's celebrating its decade online with some new features and some long-earned self-congratulations.

For anybody who's forgotten (or who wasn't a college student back in 2004), the social media behemoth launched on Feb. 4, 2004, from creator Mark Zuckerberg's dorm room at Harvard University.

"I'm just like a little kid. I get bored easily and computers excite me. Those are the two driving factors here," he explained to his school newspaper just months later.

Profit, he said, was not such a driving factor. "I just like making it and knowing that it works, and having it be wildly successful is cool, I guess, but I mean, I dunno, that's not the goal," he said.

But after its launch, his site — first known as thefacebook.com — soon spread beyond the confines of a coterie of just a few colleges to garner well over a billion active users by the end of last year.

It's also overcome a much-ballyhooed yet troubled IPO, plus the $1 billion buy of photo sharing app Instagram in 2012, not to mention plenty of criticism over Facebook's efforts to protect users' privacy.

It closed out 2013 with strong financial results, too, thanks to a robust new mobile presence, the New York Times reported last week.

So what's next? On Tuesday, the site is set to unveil a new feature called "A Look Back" that will let users make personal slideshows or movies showing favorite moments from their lives since they first joined Facebook.

In the longer term, Zuckerberg has bigger plans for his brainchild. He told Bloomberg BusinessWeek last week he wants the site to become more intuitive and to get better at helping its users, and he is set to appear on the "Today" show on NBC on Tuesday to mark his site's 10th birthday.

10 Years of Facebook


Facebook will officially have been around for a decade on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014. Take a look back at some of the social network's biggest highlights from the last 10 years.

Photo Credit: Juana Arias/Getty Images

Man Accused of Killing Dog, Lying About Burglary


Manchester police have arrested a local man accused of killing a dog and lying about it by falsely reporting a burglary.

Douglas Pence, 32, was supposed to be watching the Yorkshire Terrier for his girlfriend. 

Pence and his girlfriend share a home in Manchester and the dog belonged to the woman’s ex, according to police.  

He reported that the residence was burglarized, but nothing was missing from house, police said.

The dog suffered blunt force trauma, according to vet, and had died.

The Journal Inquirer reports
that Pence was held overnight on Monday.

He appeared in court on Monday morning.

Photo Credit: Manchester Police

Crash Involving Plow Closes Road in Guilford


Part of North Madison Road in Guilford is closed after a crash involving a plow.

The Guilford Public works plow collided with an SUV around 3 p.m.

According to police, the Lexus SUV lost traction while traveling on North Madison Road and slid into the path of the oncoming plow.  The driver's side of the SUV hit the plow, injuring the driver.  The plow driver was not injured, police said.

The road was expected to be closed for several hours while an accident reconstruction team investigated the crash.

View Larger Map

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Tanker Truck Spills 300 Gallons of Oil in Burlington


A tanker carrying approximately 1,000 gallons of oil overturned and spilled all over a roadway in Burlington Monday evening.

Crews were called to the area of 53 Milford St. just after 6 p.m. According to officials, the slippery road conditions may have caused the truck to overturn.

About 300 gallons of oil spilled out into the street. DEEP was called to the scene to supervise the clean up.

The road was closed for hours for the clean up. There were no injuries reported and no danger to anyone in the neighborhood.


Dog Survives Coyote Attack in South Windsor


 A plastic cone around 11-year-old Paige's head is a reminder she narrowly escaped with her life. When the pup's owner looked out the window into the backyard late Thursday morning in South Windsor - Keira Ledoux saw a coyote ready to pounce.

"I jumped up without thinking, and I ran out to the deck, grabbed a bat, and started screaming," said Ledoux. "It had her by the head, the top of the head, dropped her, and ran into the woods."

The Bluetick Beagle mix was rushed to the vet where she got stitches on one side of her head and a drain on the other.

"The vet said she was extremely lucky. If I was out there one or two seconds later the coyote would have killed her," said Ledoux.

South Windsor Police say coyotes attacking pets is not unusual for the area and that they receive a handful of cases reported every year.

On the town's animal control website, they warn residents not to leave pets outside unattended, and if you come across a coyote you should act aggressively and make loud noises.

A bat now rests by the Ledoux's door just in case and Paige scoops up snow with her recovery cone in the front yard instead of the back.

"We're scared to go out into our own yard, so we have to bring a bat to protect us," said Ledoux.

She says a much larger dog was also attacked recently, and that has her wondering if it'll escalate further.

"I have a three-year-old. If coyotes are attacking 70 pound dogs, what's to say they're not going to attack a 30 pound three-year-old?"

Police say no children have been attacked, and if a coyote goes after your pet to call animal control.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live