Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Crews Respond to Multiple Water Main Breaks


Crews has responded to several broken water mains on Friday.

Part of Bainbridge Road in West Hartford was closed because of two water main breaks.

The road runs from Trout Brook Drive to the Elizabeth Park rose garden and a 6-inch main between 122 Bainbridge Road and Penn Drive broke, along with an 8-inch main at 41 Cumberland Road and Bainbridge. Both mains were installed in 1936

There was also a water valve break at Ellsworth Road and South Main Street in West Hartford near West Hartford Town Hall.  Crews from the Metropolitan District Commission responded to scene to begin repairs. Officials said the gate could be repaired while the water remained on.

In Simsbury, a water main broke on Squadron Line Road around 8:15 a.m.  The road remains open while crews work to repair the break.

There was also a break in an 8-inch water main at 162 Hockanum Drive, near Porter Brook Avenue, in East Hartford and 21 homes were affected. The main was installed in 1942,


Photo Credit: Liz Dahlem, NBC Connecticut

Confession: "Halloween" Gave Teen Idea to Kill Family


A Texas 17-year-old wrote in a confession released Thursday that the horror movie remake of "Halloween" gave him the idea to kill his mother and sister.

Jake Evans is on trial for the Oct. 3 slayings of his 15-year-old sister, Mallory, and mother, Jami, in their upscale Aledo home in north Texas' Parker County. The confession was introduced as evidence.

In a four-page written confession to police hours after his arrest, Evans said he had watched the remake of "Halloween" three times earlier that week.

The 2007 Rob Zombie film is about a 10-year-old boy who murders several people and kills a number of others 15 years later.

"While watching it, I was amazed at how at ease the boy was during the murders and how little remorse he had," Evans wrote. "Afterward, I was thinking to myself it would be the same for me when I kill someone."

Later, as his mother and sister watched the presidential debate that night, he said he "just sat in the living room thinking about how I was going to kill my family."

He wrote that he got a knife.

"I went back upstairs and kept pacing back and forth imagining killing Mallory," he said. "Thoughts of causing her pain kept entering my mind and were really bothering me. But then I'd think about the times she hurt my feelings."

He later knocked on her bedroom door and asked her to watch the comedy movie "Water Boy."

Then he changed his plans.

"After a while, I thought to myself that if I were to kill my mom and Mallory, I wouldn't want them to feel anything, so I decided to kill them both with the .22 revolver I stole from my Grandpa," he wrote.

He said he thought about it some more.

"I then spent probably over an hour walking nervously around the house thinking how life will never be the same and how I would never see them again," he wrote.

He said he knocked on sister's door again and told her their mother needed her.

"She came out and out of the corner of her eye she saw me pointing the gun at her," he said. "She thought I was joking and told me that I was freaking her out. I shot her in the back and then the head."

He then went to the study and shot his mother three times.

"In shock, I ran to my room and was screaming at the top of my lungs that I am really messed up and that I killed my mom and sister," he wrote.

"As I emptied the shells on my bed, I heard noizes (sic) and realized that Mallory was still alive," he said. "While I loaded the gun back up, I was shouting that I was sorry and then ran as fast as I could to kill her. I made sure my mom was dead and shot her again in the head."

He said he placed the gun on the counter and called 911.

Sheriff's deputies found the bodies of his mother and sister and arrested him.

In the last lines of his confession, he wrote: "I know now though that I'm done with killing. It's the most dreadful and terrifying thing I will ever experience. And what happened last night will haunt me forever."

Union Approves Strike Notice to Waterbury Hospital


A labor union committee has approved the issuing of a 10-day strike notice to Waterbury Hospital involving 250 workers.

The Republican-American of Waterbury reports that a negotiating committee of District 1199 of the New England Healthcare Employees Union approved the strike notice on Wednesday, but no decision has been made on when to deliver it.

Union members voted overwhelmingly last August to give the committee that authority.

A possible strike would include 250 patient care associates, unit clerks, supply personnel and maintenance workers. One of the key sticking points in the contract talks is a management proposal to change paid time-off benefits.

Management refused to extend the workers' contract in August and imposed its contract offer at the time. The union has complained to the National Labor Relations Board.   


Newtown School Officials Seek Waiver to Testing


The school board in Newtown, where 20 elementary school students and six educators were killed last month, is seeking an unprecedented waiver allowing the district to skip standardized testing for children in grades three through eight.

The Newtown Board of Education voted on Wednesday night to seek a federal waiver for the Connecticut Mastery Tests, which are scheduled to be administered in the spring.

The News-Times of Danbury reports that board members decided the trauma suffered by students and staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School warranted the one-time waiver request.

Board Chairwoman Debbie Leidlein said she contacted state education officials to inquire about a possible waiver, based on requests from the teachers' union. State officials told her they could forward a waiver request to federal officials, she said.

Photo Credit: AP

Crews Rescue Injured Construction Worker


Firefighters rescued a worker who was injured on a construction site in West Hartford Friday.

According to police, the worker was struck by a beam around 9: 30 a.m. and fell onto a wall that is about 25 feet in the air.

The accident was at the CTFastrack busway construction site located at the intersection of Flatbush Avenue and New Park Avenue.

Emergency responders used a ladder from a fire truck to reach the injured man and take him down off the wall.  The victim was alert and talking when he was rescued, according to the fire chief.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut/Shirley Chan

Sex Offender Found With Child Porn: Police


Police have arrested a sex offender accused of having more than 1,000 images of child porn on his computer and trying to contact people online through Facebook, which is in violation of probation for a prior sex assault conviction.

A probation officer contacted Wolcott police on Tuesday to report that a man he supervises, Keith DePastino, 51, of Wolcott, had violated the terms of his probation.

In 1988, DePastino was sentenced to 40 years in jail, suspended after 30 years, for a conviction on two counts of sexual assault in the first degree, two counts of sexual assault in the second degree and two counts of risk of injury to a minor for incidents in Southington, according to police.

According to news reports at the time, DePastino was charged with sexually assaulting a 3-year-old girl and her 1-1/2-year-old sister.

He was released from prison on Sept. 14, 2009 and terms of his probation included not entering or participating in any bulletin boards, instant messaging or chat rooms of any type, and to also not accessing any website that contains sexually explicit or sexually stimulating material.

On Dec. 20, his probation officer received information that DePastino had a Facebook account and had been trying to contact people online, according to police.

On Dec. 28, the probation officer seized DePastino’s computer and submitted it to the Waterbury Police Department Computer Crimes Unit, police said.

On Jan. 23, Wolcott police learned that DePastino’s computer contained close to 1000 images that depicted young children, male and female, engaging in various sex acts with adult males and females, as well as posing in a lascivious manner, according to police.

At 8:15 a.m. on Friday, police arrested DePastino at his home. He was charged with possession of child pornography in the first degree. Bond had been set at $100,000 for those charges.

DePastino was also charged with violation of probation and bond for that charge was set at $250,000.

Police said the case is still under investigation and it is possible that more charges will follow.

Police said this is not the first time that DePastino had violated the terms and conditions of his probation since getting out of prison. On Oct. 29, 2010, he was charged with violating the terms and conditions of his probation after visiting a park and a baseball field in Meriden, officials said. 

Hartford Murder Suspect Arrested In Massachusetts


The U.S. Marshals Massachusetts Fugitive Task Force on Friday morning arrested a Hartford man who police said has been wanted on an outstanding warrant for murder since Oct. 11.

Police said Doel Candelario, 26, is suspected in the June 20 shooting death of Jimmy Narvaez-Gonzalez. Police found Narvaez-Gonzalez suffering from a gunshot in the area of 601 Broad St. at 1:48 a.m. that June morning. He was brought to Hartford Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 7:30 p.m.

Multiple sources led U.S. Marshals to 22 Morton St. in Lawrence, Massachusetts,  where Candelario was placed under arrest with help from Lawrence Police, according to a news release from U.S. Marshals Service.

Candelario was taken into custody on charges of murder and criminal possession of a firearm after a lengthy investigation involving the Hartford Police Department's Major Crimes Division and the U.S. Marshals in Connecticut and Massachusetts.  

He will appear in Lawrence District Court and be brought returned to Hartford to face charges. 

Sterling Tire Plant Evacuated for Fire


The Exeter Energy plant was evacuated on Friday morning when fire broke out in a hopper located the boiler room, where burning of the tires takes place.

Exeter Energy is a tire-fueled power plant, that generates around 200,000 megawatt hours of electricity a year and directs it to an 8.5 mile underground system for sale in regional electricity market, according to the Web site for  CNS Energy.

Officials from Quinnebaug Valley Dispatch said the first report of fire came at 9:32 a.m. The main fire is knocked down, the plant was successfully evacuated and no injuries are reported.

Several companies from local departments were called in, as well as mutual aid from Rhode Island.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

First Restaurant to Open in Hartford’s Coltsville Historic District


A couple will open the first restaurant in Hartford’s historic Coltsville District.

Café Colt will open on Monday, Jan. 28 at noon in the lobby of the Colt Gateway building at 140 Huyshope Ave.

It will serve breakfast and lunch and provide catering services and corporate lunches

Café Colt is part of “The Colt Culinary Project”, the brainchild of Chef Harry Schwartz, who along with wife Laurie, recently redeveloped Heritage Trail Vineyards in Lisbon.

The focus of the Colt Culinary Project is to provide restaurant and catering service, event and meeting space, employment and education through partnerships with local schools and neighborhood groups.


Photo Credit: Getty Images

Phillies To Put MLB Star on Scale -- But Will It Work?


Even in the twisted perspective of professional sports contracts, Delmon Young’s unusual deal with the Philadelphia Phillies sounds pretty sweet: $600,000 in bonuses if he can lose 10 pounds and keep at least half the weight off his 6-foot-3-inch frame all season.

His target: 230 pounds, nearly obese by common benchmarks.

The Phillies presumably believe that the relatively modest weight loss will improve Young’s production in the outfield. But nutritionists, sports lawyers and health-care analysts don’t see it that way. Money alone isn’t that great an incentive for overweight people, and in an athlete’s case, forced dieting may actually hurt performance.

"My biggest concern is if he gets down to 230, does that make him a better player? If it does, then it makes sense," said Greg Salgueiro, a Rhode Island dietitian who consults athletes and trainers and helps companies develop wellness programs. "But what if he loses 10 pounds and he isn't as good? It's a big assumption to say he'll lose 10 pounds and he'll be just as good or better."

Weight clauses are relatively uncommon in sports contracts, so it is difficult to analyze their effectiveness. The last time one made news was 2010, when the Los Angeles Lakers signed 6-foot-9-inch rookie power forward Derrick Caracter to a contract that required him to weigh 275 pounds.  Caracter lasted just one season and is now reportedly playing in Israel.

A year earlier, the Boston Celtics signed 6-foot-9-inch Glen "Big Baby" Davis to a contract that promised $500,000 bonuses if it avoided exceeding a certain weight. Davis ended up getting traded to the Orlando Magic, where he apparently does not have a weight clause.

Young, who won last year's American League Championship Series MVP award while playing for the Detroit Tigers, has reportedly agreed to six weigh-ins throughout the 2013 season with the Phillies. The first three times, he must weight 230, and the last three 235. He is promised a $100,000 bonus for hitting each mark.

Why the Phillies sought the weight clause, and why Young agreed to it, no one's saying. But while pro baseball players are getting heavier -- of the 35 Major Leaguers who've been listed at 240 pounds or more, 23 played in the last decade -- many teams are loathe to put such pressure on an athlete.

New York Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman said last year that he didn't want pitching ace C.C. Sabathia playing with a weight clause because, in his experience, they almost always backfire. He said he'd seen players doing anything necessary to drop weight.

"Guys would starve themselves two days before to make the weight and then cost us a game because he shouldn’t have even been out there competing,” Cashman told the New York Daily News.

Sports lawyer Michael McCann says he once analyzed the rosters of the 2004 World Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Boston Red Sox and found that more than 90 percent of the players were technically overweight.

"Pounds may be a useful measure for the rest of the population, but sometimes athletes are just thick and wide with muscles," McCann said. "They may be in good condition but their poundage is in excess for what someone would normally be for their height and age."

He added, "Maybe an athlete feels that he has to carry around the additional weight to be a good player."

John Cawley, who runs Cornell University's Institute on Health Economics, Health Behaviors and Disparities, views weight clauses through the prism of a basic economic rule: You get what you pay for.

Young's contract, Cawley said, could discourage him from lifting weights and adding muscle mass, and since muscle is heavier than fat, losing it could be a faster way to hitting his marks. A more effective tool would be to measure Young's percentage of body fat.

"He chose to sign (the contract). Maybe he likes to structure things this way. But it begs the question: are the Phillies going to get an extra $100,000 in benefits from his hitting (each of) these target weights?" Cawley said. "What are they getting in terms of production on the field? That's going to be a really interesting thing to follow."

His point begged another question: Are weight-loss incentives effective in the real world?

Research shows that overweight workers are less productive and get sick more often. They also incur higher healthcare costs. So employers are exploring ways to bring those costs down. One way is to enroll them in programs that offer money if they hit certain weight loss goals.

Cawley studied one of those programs and found that half dropped out within the first quarter, and by year's end, three-quarters had quit. Of those who stuck with it, the average weight loss was six pounds, Cawley said. Among all the participants, the average weight loss was under two pounds.

None of them were offered $100,000 bonuses like Young, but the point, according to Cawley, is that free money alone isn't an effective motivator.

Joshua Price, who worked with Cawley on the weight-loss study, studies the economics of health and sports at the University of Texas at Arlington. He cautioned against judging Young's contract without knowing exactly what went into the negotiations.

A brief look at Young's career shows that his weight ballooned only in the last couple years, which happens to coincide (despite the MVP performance last October) with a drop-off in his overall performance, Price said. The Phillies may have taken that into consideration, and tailored a contract that balances his value as a heavier player and as a lighter one.

"I imagine that the people making contracts are intelligent and consulted with doctors, so the (weight clause) may be based on Young's body type and body fat showing that 230 pounds is some optimal number," Price said.

Daniel Werly, a sports lawyer in Chicago, said he was skeptical that the weight clause would have much of an impact on Young's output.

"I don't think it's necessarily a fair measure of performance," he said. But he added: "In baseball and other sports, athletes are getting bigger and stronger and weighing more, so it might be something that comes more into play."

Scott Ross contributed reporting.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Water Search Ends in New Britain


More than one dozen first responders responded to Batterson Park in New Britain after receiving a call that someone fell in the water, but it was just a cinder block with buoys marking a small sand bar.

First responders brought a boat out to investigate and police said they had been receiving calls since Monday.


Photo Credit: Dianna Russini, NBC Connecticut

Stranded Dolphin Dies in Polluted NYC Canal


A dolphin that became stranded in a contaminated New York City canal died Friday, a marine research team that had been dispatched to the site confirmed.

The sea creature had been bobbing up and down in the murky water for much of the afternoon and evening, the spout in its head visible each time it pushed itself above the surface. It looks to be bleeding from its dorsal fin.

The Northeast Regional Office of the NOAA Fisheries Service confirmed to NBC 4 New York that the creature was what's called a short-beaked common dolphin, known for its dark gray cape along its back.

Robert DiGiovanni, senior biologist at the Riverhead Foundation, told NBC 4 New York earlier it was unsafe to put rescuers in the water and that they were planning to wait and see if the dolphin would leave on its own when the tide rises.

"The best course of action is to see if that when the tide comes back in the animal will move back out," DiGiovanni said. "It’s giving the animal time to work the problem out before you introduce stress by intervention."

DiGiovanni said that they were unable to assess the health of the dolphin because of the murkiness of the water, but that dolphins are suited for being in cold water.

The Gowanus Canal empties into New York Harbor and is surrounded by Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens and Red Hook. It was once a major transportation route, and numerous manufacturing facilities operated along its banks for years.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency calls it "one of the nation's most extensively contaminated water bodies," with pollutants including PCBs, coal tar waste and heavy metals.

It was added to the EPA's list of national Superfund priorities in 2010.

Photo Credit: NBCNewYork

Giffords' Husband, NRA VP to Testify at Senate Hearing


Mark Kelly, the husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and co-founder of Americans for Responsible Solutions—an initiative aimed at countering the gun lobby—will testify alongside the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on gun violence next week.

The Jan. 30 hearing with a straightforward name—"What Should America Do About Gun Violence?"—was first introduced by Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy in a speech earlier this month at the Georgetown University Law Center and the list of witnesses was released Friday.

For more U.S. news, visit NBCNews.com.

Kelly and Giffords, who was shot in the head during a 2011 mass shooting in Tuscon, Ariz., have become vocal proponents of gun control in the wake of the recent school shooting that killed 26 at a Newton, Conn. elementary school. Together they launched their gun control initiative on the two-year anniversary of the Tuscon shooting that nearly ended Giffords' life.

"Achieving reforms to reduce gun violence and prevent mass shootings will mean matching gun lobbyists in their reach and resources," they wrote in an editorial announcing their initiative earlier this month.

The NRA’s Wayne LaPierre also responded to the Newtown massacre, blaming the media, violent video games and an inadequate mental health care system in the country for instances of gun violence. He proposed having armed personnel in schools to prevent another school shooting.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," he said at a press conference several days after the shooting.

Other members invited to testify at the hearing include Nicholas Johnson, a law school professor from Fordham University, James Johnson, the Chief of Police in Baltimore Country and Gayle Trotter, an attorney and senior fellow at the Independent women’s forum in Washington, D.C.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

The 9 Best Super Bowl Ads Ever


Super Bowl commercials have almost become as big as the game itself. Now, the water-cooler talk on the morning after is just as likely to be about the big commercial as the big play. That's not surprising:  When advertisers have the biggest TV audience of the year and are paying top dollar for air time -- $3.75 million for 30 seconds this year -- they're going to swing for the fences.

Here are nine Super Bowl spots from the past 25 years that stand above the rest:

"The Showdown" starring Larry Bird and Michael Jordan for McDonald's, 1993
Two of the greatest basketball players of all time facing off in a game of HORSE, with the loser watching the winner eat a Big Mac -- what's not to like?

Mean Joe Green for Coke, 1980
Everyone talks about how Apple was the first Super Bowl advertiser to get people starting about a commercial, instead of the game, but this spot featuring one of football's fiercest players showing a softer side came out four years earlier, and remains a touchstone.

"When I Grow Up" for Monster.com, 1999
Shot in a stark black-and-white, and featuring kids dreaming about the horrors so many adults already face: "When I grow up, I wanna be a Yes Man!" Funny and depressing.

"1984" for Apple, 1984
Hailed as one of the greatest ads of all time, director Ridely Scott's spot inspired by George Orwell's novel totally caught the world off guard.

"Terry Tate, Office Linebacker" for Reebok, 2003
An instant classic, this series had a little something for everyone, from inappropriate inside jokes to "Office Space" references.

"The Force" for Volkswagen, 2011
One of the few commercials where the set-up is nearly as entertaining as the reveal. Simply awesome.

"The Man Your Man Could Smell Like" for Old Spice, 2010
Technically not a Super Bowl ad, as it was an online campaign that started just before the game and the first spot aired right after, but they caught the big game's wave and road it home. A rare ad that made fun of both men and women without insulting either, and managed to be sexy without being cheap. Throw in the fact that it's genuinely funny, and you've got a hit on your hands.

"You're Not You When You're Hungry" starring Betty White for Snickers, 2010. The spot that launched the Cult of Betty White. In the commercial, the octogenarian talks trash to a teammate, and the national ate it up: An online petition begged for her to "Saturday Night Live" (and she did), and she landed a role in a new sitcom, "Hot in Cleveland." Bonus points for an Abe Vigoda cameo.

"Matthew's Day Off" for Honda, 2012
Matthew Broderick starred in this recreation of his most iconic film, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," staying true to the source material right to the very end.

Photo Credit: Apple

Fire Damages Wallingford Home


Fire damaged  a home on N. Farms Road in Wallingford Friday.

Firefighters were called to 912 N. Farms Road around 4 p.m. and were able to knock down the fire in a short period of time.

There was no one in the home at the time of the fire, according to officials.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut/Josh Chapin

Cash Mob Planned for Sandy Hook


Business owners in Newtown have come together to host a cash mob in Sandy Hook on Saturday to help local businesses after the school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14.

The event is called “I Heart Sandy Hook” and asks residents to spend $20 at any of the following local business between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.


  • Demitasse
  • Figs
  • Heaven
  • The Hook
  • Iron Bridge at 100 Church Hill
  • Sandy Hook Deli & Catering
  • Sandy Hook Diner
  • The Villa Restaurant


  • Fun Kids Consignments
  • Porco Karate
  • Toy Tree

Hair Stylists

  • Fun Kuts for the Whole Family
  • Sandy Hook Hair Company

Other in the Design District

  • Apex Glass
  • CT Counselors
  • Dr. Richard Berning
  • The Haas Agency
  • PJS Laundromat
  • Porco Construction
  • Somoroff Design LLC
  • Thomas G Sheehan Agency


  • Colbert Photography
  • The Country Mill
  • Sabrina Style
  • Wishing Well

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Wandering Horse Found in Granby


Animal control officers in Granby are looking for the owners of a wandering horse.

The female horse was found walking along Meadow Brook Road on Wednesday afternoon. Officers went door to door at local farms, but no one claimed the horse.

According to officials with Granby Animal Control, the horse is in good condition and is being boarded at a local farm while they look for the owner.

Anyone with information on the horse is asked to contact Granby Animal Control.

Photo Credit: Granby Animal Control

Police Identify Student Suspected in Bus Bullet Incident


State police said they have identified the student who brought a bullet on a school bus in Stafford on Thursday.

The incident is being handled administratively through the school, according to a news release from state police.

The bus company, M & J, contacted state police at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday when a bus driver found a bullet on the seat of a school bus while doing a sweep of the vehicle.  

That led to lockdowns at Stafford High School, Stafford Middle School and Stafford Elementary School.

Police responded to all three schools, as well as St. Edward's School in Stafford, seized the bullet and documented the bus runs, as well as the students who had been on the bus where the bullet was found.

For hours, no one other than investigators were allowed into or out of the school as police investigated.

Police completed their search as of 11:45 a.m. and found no additional bullets or contraband.

Police issued a news release on Friday afternoon saying they have identified the student.


Photo Credit: Stephania Jimenez

Woman Survives Vicious Domestic Assault: Police


A 24-year-old New Haven man accused of brutally beating and stabbing his girlfriend has been arrested and is under police guard while undergoing a psychiatric evaluation, according to New Haven police.

Police responded to Yale-New Haven Hospital around 3:30 p.m. after the woman was brought to the trauma room in the emergency department and nurses told investigators that they did not know the woman’s name, but she’d been brought from a home on Norwood Drive in New Haven, police said.

Minutes after investigators arrived, Josue Martinez arrived at the hospital and told staff he was the victim’s boyfriend, according to police.

At first, he told police that he was alone at his mother’s house when he woke up around 2 p.m. , answered a knock at the front door and saw his girlfriend standing there, barely conscious and badly beaten, police said.

He told them he helped her inside and she told him she'd been jumped while "up the street," police said.

Then, he said, he sat his girlfriend on the floor at the top of the basement staircase, went into another room to call 911, and hung up the phone after hearing a "thump" and finding that his girlfriend tumbled down the staircase to the basement floor, according to police.

She was unconscious and he tried to revive her by slapping her face, he said, according to police.

He told them that EMTs arrived, attended to the woman and brought her to the hospital.

Martinez did not ride with her, but later drove himself to the hospital, police said,  and they brought him to police headquarters for an interview.

When investigators questioned the truthfulness of his story, Martinez stopped talking. Police said they took his bloodied cloths as evidence and gave him a Tyvek suit to wear.

Meanwhile, with victim’s family told police about chronic domestic assaults and disputes and said the couple often slept in a car in the driveway rather than inside, police said.

Martinez admitted to investigators that they would sleep in the car and said it was due to his heroin addiction, according to police.

When detectives went to the home and searched Martinez's basement bedroom, they found blood spattered walls and other evidence of a vicious attack, police said.

As they questioned others at the house, they learned that several other people had been home at the time.

One person said she'd heard moaning and others said they'd heard the fighting, but then the noise stopped and they didn't check up on what they'd heard or call police, police said.

Martinez was charged with first-degree domestic assault and police said more charges are possible.

Police impounded Martinez's car as potential evidence.

Martinez was taken to an area hospital for a psychiatric evaluation after trying to harm himself in his cell and remains hospitalized under police guard, police said.

The victim’s medical condition has been upgraded to stable and her injuries are thought to be non-life threatening.

Notre Dame Defends Handling of Te'o Hoax


Top administrators at Notre Dame decided within hours of hearing about the Manti Te'o dead girlfriend hoax that it did not involve a crime and within two days had concluded there was no NCAA violation, according to a letter sent by the university president to board of trustee members on Friday.

The Rev. John Jenkins told trustees that despite "the unrelenting scrutiny of hundreds of journalists and countless others — and repeated attempts by some to create a different impression— no facts relating to the hoax have been at odds with what Manti told us" on Dec. 27-28.

For more news, visit NBCNews.com.

The letter was obtained Friday by The Associated Press from a university official who provided it on condition of anonymity because the private school's internal workings are confidential.

The eight-page document, including a four-page letter from Jenkins and a four-page outline of how Notre Dame handled the hoax, is both a defense and an explanation of the school's actions.

"We did our best to get to the truth in extraordinary circumstances, be good stewards of the interests of the university and its good name and — as we do in all things — to make the well-being of our students one of our very highest priorities," Jenkins concluded in his letter.

Some of the timeline Notre Dame outlined is well known, including that its star linebacker disclosed the scam to his coaches the day after Christmas and it remained unknown to the public until Deadspin.com broke the story on Jan. 16, long after the Fighting Irish lost the BCS championship to Alabama on Jan. 7.

Jenkins wrote that Notre Dame officials talked in the hours after hearing from Te'o on Dec. 26 and agreed there was no indication of a crime or student conduct code violation. Athletic director Jack Swarbrick spoke with Te'o the next day, and on Dec. 28 the school concluded there were no indications of an NCAA rules violation, which could have put Notre Dame's 12-0 regular season in jeopardy.

The school then made moves to find out who was behind the hoax, thereby protecting Te'o and itself.

"For the first couple of days after receiving the news from Manti, there was considerable confusion and we simply did not know what there was to disclose," Jenkins wrote.

On Jan. 2, after several days of internal discussion and a week after Te'o's disclosure, Notre Dame retained Stroz Friedberg, a New York computer forensics firm to investigate the case and whether any other football players had been targeted. The firm did not return phone or email messages left Friday.

Notre Dame officials believed Te'o's girlfriend — whether alive or dead — was at least a real person until the next day, when Stroz Friedberg said it could not find any evidence that Kekua or most of her relatives ever existed. And by Jan. 4, two days after hiring Stroz Friedberg, Notre Dame officials concluded Te'o was the victim of the hoax, there was no threat to the school and the private investigation was suspended.

"We concluded that this matter was personal to Manti," Jenkins wrote, deciding it was up to Te'o to disclose, especially after he signed with Creative Artists Agency on the day after the BCS game.

Notre Dame's role in the scheme has been heavily scrutinized, with some wondering if the image of Te'o leading the top-ranked Irish through the heartbreaking deaths of his grandmother and girlfriend on the same day in September was aimed at burnishing his credentials and that of his school. Te'o was named an All-American and finished second in the Heisman Trophy race.

Te'o has denied in interviews with ESPN and Katie Couric that he was in on the Kekua hoax, though he has admitted he failed to be forthcoming about the fact that the woman he called his girlfriend was only someone he knew through phone calls and electronic messages.

Te'o says that when the hoax was exposed, a 22-year-old acquaintance from California named Ronaiah Tuiasosopo confessed that he was behind the ruse and apologized. The woman whose photos were used as the face of Kekua says Tuiasosopo stole them and that he has apologized to her, too. Tuiasosopo has not made a public statement about the hoax.

The episode put Notre Dame athletics on the defensive, a spot it has occupied before.

George O'Leary resigned in December 2001 after five days as the football coach, admitting he lied on his resume. In 2010, a student-athlete was accused of sexually molesting Saint Mary's College student Elizabeth Seeberg two weeks before she died of a suspected drug overdose. Later that same year, 20-year-old Declan Sullivan was killed when the aerial lift he was on was knocked over by winds as he filmed football practice. University officials acknowledged their procedures and safeguards were not adequate and paid a $42,000 fine to the state for safety violations.

In the Te'o case, the university's initial statement after the story broke on Jan. 16 said it had hired investigators to assist him in "discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax." It also said proper authorities would continue to investigate "this troubling matter." There is no indication law enforcement agencies were ever notified.

South Bend police and the St. Joseph Prosecutor's Office both say that they have never been contacted and Robert Ramsey, FBI supervisory special agent for northern Indiana, said there was no investigation because authorities don't believe a crime was committed. Authorities in California also have said they are not investigating the case.

University spokesman Dennis Brown and another university official who was not identified told the South Bend Tribune the school didn't go public about the hoax before the BCS title game because they didn't think it would be in the best interest of either the Notre Dame or Alabama teams.

Photo Credit: AP
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live