Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Ski Gold Helps US Top Medal Race


The United States moved into the top spot in the Winter Olympics medal race on Wednesday.

Team USA ended the day with 23 total medals, one more than the Russians and the Dutch, in a surge fueled by historic performances in Alpine skiing and bobsled events.

At the same time, the U.S. men's hockey moved closer to a podium finish.

Here are those highlights, and others, from day 12 in Sochi.

Alpine gold, at last

Ted Ligety ended America’s gold-medal drought in Alpine skiing on Wednesday, winning the giant slalom in commanding fashion.

That made Ligety, who won the giant slalom in 2006 but failed to medal in 2010, the first American male Alpine skier to win two Olympic gold medals.

His giant slalom victory was widely expected, since he has dominated the event on the World Cup circuit.

But it also offered him a sigh of relief.

Ligety failed to medal in other events in which he was a favorite. And his other highly touted teammates have not lived up to expectations; Ligety’s gold was was the first for the U.S. Alpine squad in Sochi.

One of those teammates, Bode Miller, whose bronze in the super-G won him a U.S. record sixth Alpine medal, hurt his knee in the giant slalom and said he would not race in the final Alpine event, the slalom.

Two bobsled medals

Americans made bobsled history on Wednesday.

A pair of two-woman teams — Elana Meyers and Lauryn Williams, plus Jamie Greubel and Aja Evans — finished second and third, respectively, on Wednesday.

Their two-three finish marked the first time two U.S. women’s teams had won medals at the Olympics.

Williams, a brakeman and erstwhile track and field athlete, also became the fifth Olympian to win medals in different events in the Summer and Winter Games. She has a gold medal from the 4x100m relay in London two years ago and a silver from the 100m in Athens in 2004.

A Canadian bobsled team won Wednesday’s gold.

A third American team, of Jazmine Fenlator and former track-and-field Olympian Lolo Jones, finished in 11th place.

Another step toward hockey gold

The U.S. men’s hockey team took a big step toward the podium on Wednesday with a 5-2 quarterfinal win over the Czech Republic.

They also had help from the Russians, who lost to Finland and were knocked out of medal contention.

But the Americans don’t have an easy path ahead of them. Their next opponent is Canada, who beat them in overtime for the gold in Vancouver.

If the U.S. wins on Friday, they'll win a berth in the championship game. If they lose, they’ll play for bronze.

Strong skating from American women

The short-skate portion of Wednesday’s ladies’ figure skating competition was dominated by South Korea’s Yuna Kim, Russia’s Adelina Sotnikova and Italy’s Carolina Kostner.

But just behind them are three Americans, all in the top seven heading into Thursday’s free skate program.

They are led by Gracie Gold, in fourth place, followed by Ashley Wagner and Polina Edmunds, in sixth and seventh, respectively.

All but Gold are long shots for the podium.

A new king of winter

Norwegian cross-country skiier Ole Einar Bjoerndalen won his 13th career Olympic medal on Wednesday, making him the most decorated winter Olympian ever.

The record-setting medal came in the inaugural mixed biathlon relay.

Bjoerndalen, 40, also won gold in Sochi in the men's sprint biathlon.

His total career haul is now eight golds, four silvers and one bronze.

And he has a shot at another medal on Saturday, in the 4x7.5k relay.


Photo Credit: Getty Images

Crews Repair Gas Leak on Route 10 in Simsbury


Part of Drake Hill Road is closed at Route 10/Hopmeadow Street in Simsbury while crews work to repair a small gas leak, according to the Simsbury Fire Department.

Firefighters said traffic should not be impacted by the closure.

No additional information was immediately available. 

View Larger Map

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Residents Play for $400M Powerball Jackpot


The sound of the machine spitting out tickets is the sound of hope that maybe, just maybe, yours will be the next Powerball winner.

Eddie Jabbour, who owns Ninth Square Market in New Haven, said Powerball has brought a steady stream of customers into the store.

“It's a lot of traffic, definitely more traffic, people trying to win,” said Jabbour.

Even people who don't normally play Powerball have been taking the chance for a $400 million jackpot. Many said they already know how they'd spend it.

“[I'd] go buy an island someplace and just chill out,” said New Haven resident Jeff Reisman.

“I'd probably get a place in the nice warm Bahamas somewhere, or Hawaii maybe,” said Bob Golitko of Wallingford.

The people buying tickets at the Shell Food Mart on Willow Street in New Haven were a little more practical in how they'd spend their winnings.

“I would pay all of my debt, get out of debt, and I would help my family out,” said Kim Haugabook of New London.

“I'd pay all my bills off, get out of debt, and I'd be happy. That's all I need to be comfortable. I don't need to win the jackpot, but I'll take the million,” said Eli Guillaume of North Haven.

Of course, having a little extra spending money to do whatever you'd like would be icing on the cake.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Suspect in Target Arson Case Arrested


Police have arrested a 19-year-old Enfield mother accused of setting a fire at the Target at the Enfield Square Shopping Center last month.

Erica Anderson was arrested Tuesday night on a warrant charging her with second-degree arson, conspiracy to commit second-degree arson and first-degree reckless endangerment.

She has a 10-month-old child and has had mental health issues after the birth of her child, according to officials. 

Police said she has no prior convictions but there is a pending case involving shoplifting at a Walmart. 

Anderson is a lifelong Connecticut resident and lives with her parents.

Store employees said they believed the fire broke out after candles were lit inside the store's seasonal department.

Authorities said it appears the suspects were attempting to shoplift and set the fire to create a diversion. A witness told police she saw two young women leaving the area where the fire broke out and push a shopping cart into the parking lot without paying.

According to police, the fire started in a display of paper products.

No injuries were reported and the fire was contained to one aisle.

Anderson was charged with sixth-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit sixth-degree larceny.

She was in custody on $200,000, appeared in Superior Court in Enfield on Wednesday and the judge set bond at $100,000. The case has been continued to March 19.

Police said they have an additional warrant, but are not releasing the name of the suspect.

Photo Credit: Enfield Police

Cargo Train Derails in New Milford


Authorities are investigating after a cargo train derailed along the Housatonic River in New Milford around noon on Wednesday.

Police said the train’s front engine came off the tracks and traveled 10 feet to the right before coming to a halt.

No passengers and no hazardous materials were on board the train, which is owned by the Housatonic Valley Railroad Company and was traveling southbound through New Milford.

No employees were injured during the derailment, according to police.

The train did not reach the roadway, but New Milford police are on scene to direct traffic while railroad officials investigate.

No road closures are currently in effect, but police said the intersection of Housatonic Avenue and Boardman Road could close later on.

Photo Credit: Viewer Photo

Sex Assault Reported at Yale Fraternity House


Yale University Police are investigating the report that a student was sexually assaulted at a fraternity house earlier this month.

According to a campus-wide email from Yale University Police Chief Ronnell A. Higgins, the police department received an anonymous tip today that a student sexually assaulted another student Feb. 2 at the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house at 31 High Street in New Haven.

The victim and attacker were acquaintances, according to university police. It’s not clear if the alleged attacker is a member of the fraternity.

Students who are aware of similar incidents or who have been victims themselves are urged to call Yale University Police at 203-432-4400.

Students can also utilize the SHARE Center, which provides counseling, information and support to victims of sexual violence. The SHARE Center can be reached at 203-432-2000. More information is available at http://sharecenter.yale.edu.


Fire, Downed Wires Close Spring Hill Road in Southington


Spring Hill Road is closed in Southington while crews work to clear wires from the roadway that fell from a burning house Wednesday evening.

Authorities said a garage fire on Spring Hill Road is now under control, but wires are in the roadway and fire offiicals are concerned that water used to fight the fire will freeze and create slippery conditions.

No additional information was immediately available.

Check back for updates.

View Larger Map

Police Arrest Suspect in Fatal New London Shooting


A 28-year-old New London man is facing murder charges in connection with a fatal shooting in New London last August.

Keith Ramel Delvalle has been arrested and charged with murder, criminal possession of a firearm, carrying a pistol without a permit, unlawful discharge of a firearm, criminal use of a firearm and commission of felony with a firearm.

Delvalle is accused of shooting and killing 29-year-old Jesus Pinero of Norwich at the intersection of Connecticut Avenue and Prest Street in New London.

Pinero was found lying in the road with multiple gunshot wounds. He was rushed to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital, where he later died, according to police.

Investigators believe Delvalle fled the scene following the shooting.

He’s being held by the New York City Police Department and will be extradited to Connecticut.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

2 Electrocuted, Killed in South Windsor Constuction Accident


The owner of a South Windsor construction company and an employee died this morning after being electrocuted in a construction accident, according to South Windsor Police Chief Matthew Reed.

The victims have been identified as Lloyd Folsom, Jr., 55, the owner of Folsom Construction, and 22-year-old employee Connor Betts.

Both men were on company property at 140 Rye Street when the accident occurred, police said.

Witnesses said the dump truck went up into live wires after Betts reportedly raised the big rig to clean out snow that had accumulated.

"The driver had exited the vehicle and made contact with his energized truck and was stricken and went down," said South Windsor Police Lt. Scott Custer.

Folsom then jumped out of a pickup truck and rushed to Betts' assistance, but he too touched the big rig and was electrocuted.

Police said the two men suffered electical burns and shock, according to police.

A customer of Andrews Oil Company saw sparks from the wire and mentioned it to a company employee, who called 911.

A police officer was on private duty nearby with Connecticut Light & Power and the crew responded, according to South Windsor Police. They were able to cut power and allow rescuers to treat the victims. 

Folsom was taken to hospital by ambulance and Betts was transported by LifeStar, but medics were unable to save either man. Police said just before 2 p.m. that both men have died.

Police are investigating, crews from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Metro Traffic Services are responding as well.

Photo Credit: South Windsor Police

Heavy Snow Causes Roof Collapse in West Haven


Heavy, wet snow caused the roof of an abandoned building to collapse in West Haven on Wednesday evening, and authorities said the building will have to be torn down later today.

The building at 106 Water Street was unoccupied at the time and no injuries were reported.

Damage is significant and fire crews at the scene last night said they were worried the building may collapse.

Gas service to the building has since been turned off. Police have the area blocked off and Water Street is closed in both directions at Elm Street Trail.

Firefighters said there is a major concern for flat rooftops in town, especially older buildings.
View Larger Map

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

U.Md. Data Breach Affects 300K


The records of more than 300,000 faculty members and students dating back to 1998 have been compromised following a data breach at the University of Maryland.

According to a letter from UMD President Wallace Loh, the 309,079 records include full names, social security numbers, dates of birth and university ID numbers of staff members and students affiliated with the university's College Park and Shady Grove campuses.

Loh says the data breach did not include financial, academic, health or contact information.

Federal and state law enforcement agencies are investigating the matter, which Loh says he learned of Tuesday evening.

"We recently doubled the number of our IT security engineers and analysts. We also doubled our investment in top-end security tools. Obviously, we need to do more and better, and we will," Loh wrote. 

The university is offering free credit monitoring to all affected persons.

If you have any questions about the breach, you're asked to call 301-405-4440 or email datasecurity@umd.edu. 


Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Boy Made to Clean Urinal With Hands


A South Florida teacher has been arrested after police said she forced a 10-year-old to unclog a urinal with his bare hands.

Jennifer Forshey, 58, was charged with battery of a child by exposure to urine, according to a Coral Springs arrest report.

Forshey was booked into jail Wednesday and later released on $1,000 bond.

"I did not do anything illegal," Forshey said as she left the jail.

Police said Forshey, a teacher at Broward Community Charter School, accused the boy of clogging the urinal with paper towels. She then ordered him to use his hands and a paper towel to remove all the paper from the drain, the report said.

Officials noted the boy's hands were saturated in "what smelled like urine" from the urinal and that the bathroom had no soap in it.

Forshey did not give the child safety equipment to clean the urinal, police said.

The boy told police the urine was not his and that he did not know who had clogged the urinal.

Forshey admitted to making the boy clean the urine, but she only thought what she did was wrong because she got in trouble, authorities said in the report.

Broward Community Charter School issued a statement saying it acknowledges what occurred and that Forshey was reprimanded.

The victim's mother, Jenay Roberts, did not want to provide a statement Thursday, but attorney Joshua Hertz released the following statement on her behalf:

"The only reason we are bringing this story to the public is to find out if any other child has been treated in this way before. We want to protect this child and possibly any other children that may have been subjected to this form or corporal and unmoral punishment. My client wants to find out why a teacher would allow this to happen. She also asks for her and her son's privacy to be respected and wants her son to retain a normal life back at the school."

Word of Forshey's release did not set well with some parents dropping their children off at the school Thursday morning.

"That teacher should go back to jail. That's not cool," said parent Mark Henrice.

Others believe it was a bad call made by an otherwise good teacher.

"She used really bad judgement, but it's a really good school. I hope it doesn't reflect on the school," parent George Vitieri said.

At Forshey's home Wednesday night, a close family friend and co-worker said Forshey was like a mentor to her.

The woman, who only wanted to be identified as Debbie, said she loved walking into Forshey's classroom because it was so cozy. She also talked about her dedication to teaching.

"She would literally spends nights at the library finding things to do, you know, fun things to do to interact, not just your boring way of teaching," she said.

What Debbie heard on the news came as a shock. She said it's out of character for a woman who does so much for her students, including spend her own money.

"She buys curriculum, she buys games. I mean, I've been with her when she buys all these incentives for the children," she said. "She was actually the main one to get us to like, you know, more positive reinforcement things like that."

Photo Credit: NBC6.com

Girl's Teeth Yanked Out at School


Harmani Osbi still holds her three front baby teeth in her hand after they came out on Tuesday. There’s only one problem. They weren’t supposed to come out anytime soon. According to the girl’s mother, they were yanked out by a worker at her school.

“She should be getting the support that she needs,” said Harmani’s mother, Tomeka Speller. “Not getting attacked in the classroom.”

Harmani, 7, attends a class for children with behavioral issues at the Solis Cohen Elementary School in Northeast Philadelphia. Speller says her daughter was chewing on her sweater and refused to stop when a specially trained school therapeutic worker told her to. Speller says the worker then forcefully pulled out the sweater, yanking out the girl’s three front teeth.

“She used excessive force,” Speller said. “She just said, ‘I’m not having this today' and she yanked it out. Just because you’re having a bad day does not mean you’re going to mistreat my child!”

School district officials reviewed witness statements and are now filing a complaint with police and the Department of Human Services.

“It’s a shocking incident,” said Philadelphia School District spokesman Fernando Gallard. “Now we have to make sure that it never happens again. We expect much more than this from a professional.”

A spokesperson for the Children's Crisis Treatment Center, where the worker was contracted and employed, released a statement on the alleged incident.

"At CCTC we take pride in providing a safe environment in which the health and well-being of our children is the top priority," said the spokesperson. "As is our policy, the individual has been suspended pending an investigation." 

Speller wants the worker gone from the school for good however.

“I want her fired,” she said. “She does not need to be working with children.”


Photo Credit: NBC10.com

CVS Roof Caves Under Snow in NYC


A CVS in the Bronx was evacuated Wednesday after heavy snow caused the roof to collapse.

The FDNY responded to the store on Burke Avenue in Williamsbridge at about 1:45 p.m.

As the roof caved in, water sprinklers in the ceiling burst, flooding the store. 

No injuries were reported. Eighty percent of the roof is a total loss, firefighters said, and the building will have to be demolished.

The heavy, unrelenting snow has caused a number of structural issues throughout the region in recent days. 

Several schools in Sparta, N.J., were dismissed early Tuesday after officials became concerned about heavy snow on rooftops.

Roof collapses were also reported across the tri-state last Friday, including at numerous homes, a tennis center in Rockland County, a restaurant in Yonkers and an elementary school in Wallington, N.J., police say. No injuries were reported.
Roofing experts say other buildings face similar dangers. As the days warm slightly, snow has no place to go and turns to even heavier ice overnight as temperatures plummet back down. 

"Melting snow is going to make it worse, especially if the drains on a lot of these commercial structures are not clear," said Michael Johannes of Nations Roof. 

Johannes says concerned homeowners shouldn't try to go up on the roof themselves. 

"You need to have someone that understands it, and has their safety in mind," he said. 

--Michael George contributed to this report. 


New Haven Police Investigate Death of 8-Month-Old


Police are investigating the death of a 8-month-old in New Haven after she was brought to the hospital in cardiac arrest, authorities said.

New Haven police received a report that the child was unresponsive at at 90 Park Street and arrived at the apartment around 2 p.m. Wednesday.

Police said the girl's mother had knocked on a neighbor's door in order to get help.

Paramedics found the baby in cardiac arrest. She was brought to the pediatric emergency department at Yale-New Haven Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead, police said.

The death is labled suspicious, but the cause is unknown.

The baby's mother was admitted to the hospital for treatment of an "undisclosed illness," according to police. 

Detectives from the Major Crimes Division are investigating this case along with Death Investigators from the Office of the State Medical Examiner.

No charges have been filed.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Community Hopes to Save Landmark Supermarket


West Hartford community members are coming together in hopes of saving a 75-year-old landmark business that could shutter its doors in the coming days.

Residents were shocked and dismayed Tuesday when the Crown Market announced that it would be closing.

Mark Bokoff, owner of the kosher supermarket, said tough economic conditions and increasing competition have made things difficult, but the biggest blow came with “one of the worst winters on record in a decade.”

Although Bokoff, who bought the store about five years ago, is not optimistic, community members won’t let the market go down without a fight.

“We felt like the only choice we had was to spring into action and figure out what we could do,” said Rabbi Ilana Garber, a loyal customer.

She called the store’s closing a “great tragedy” and added that the Crown has served an important role in bringing together members of the Jewish community.

“There are other options for kosher food, but none of them have fulfilled every option the way the Crown has,” she said.

Garber said she and other rabbis planned an emergency meeting with Bokoff last night and were hopeful that the market could be downsized or converted into a smaller cafe to cut costs.

Bokoff wasn't convinced but said anything is possible.

“I never say never,” he said.

60-Year-Old Man Missing From Hartford


Hartford police are searching for 60-year-old Lan Baa, who investigators say went to pick up his daughter from work in Middletown and never arrived.

Police said Baa was last seen around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday when he left his Hartford apartment to pick up his daughter from Norpaco at 80 Bysiewicz Drive in Middletown.

Baa never made it Norpaco and has been missing since.

Police said he's 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighs 140 pounds and has gray hair and brown eyes.

He was last seen driving a blue 2005 Honda Odyssey with Connecticut plates 914-ZXY.

Police said Baa is not a threat to himself or others.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Hartford Police Special Investigations Det. Arroyo at 860-757-4236 or call the Hartford Police Department routine line at 860-757-4000.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police Department

Jahi McMath's Mother Speaks Out


The mother of a 13-year-old California girl who was declared brain dead after suffering complications from sleep apnea surgery is speaking out several weeks after taking her daughter out of a hospital.

Nailah Winkfield says in a letter that appeared Wednesday on Facebook and Twitter that she believes her daughter is "much better physically'' since she was removed from Children's Hospital Oakland last month.

MORE: Friends Believe Jahi McMath, "Quiet Leader," is Alive

The letter doesn't specify Jahi's condition or say where she is being kept. Her family says Jahi is at an undisclosed location and has been given feeding and breathing tubes while remaining on a ventilator.

Family attorney Christopher Dolan says the letter is meant for those supporting Jahi and her family.

Jahi underwent tonsil surgery Dec. 9 and began bleeding heavily before going into cardiac arrest and being declared brain dead Dec. 12.

MORE: Catholic Group Says Jahi McMath "With Jesus Christ"

Here's the letter as posted to a Facebook page dedicated to Jahi: 

A letter from Nailah;

It has been over a month since I have spoken about my life with Jahi to anyone outside a very small circle of family and friends. So many people have asked how we are doing and if Jahi is alive. This has and continues to be an unbelievably difficult time for me as a mother and for us as a family. I have withdrawn for reasons of safety and privacy and to focus on my daughter and my role as her mother. However, I have not been alone. I have been surrounded by the love, support and prayers of so many kind people. Despite what people say about my daughter being dead and how I must be ignorant not to get that, I can tell you that she is much better physically since she has left Children's Hospital and I see changes that give me hope.

As I prayed today, I felt called to express to people that I am truly grateful for the amount of love and support my daughter Jahi McMath and I have received from people all over the world. We feel your prayer and support. Because of your unselfish generosity I was able to do what I was afraid I would never be able to do, move my daughter from Children's Hospital Oakland before they removed her from her ventilator and stopped her heart. This was itself a miracle. Please know that all of the support we received has been used towards helping Jahi. If I had it my way, I would say thank you to each and every person in their native language so they could understand how much I appreciate them for all their support and, most importantly, prayers. It is my belief that faith in God, your prayers, and the incredible kindness of good hearted medical professionals, are the main reasons my daughter is alive today. I know people are concerned and I want to make sure you know that Jahi is not suffering, she is surrounded by love. I will never let her suffer.

On the long hard days when I'm feeling down I think about all the people who are praying for me and Jahi and I feel so much better. I want you to know that I'm praying for you as well.

Thank you to all of the people who view my daughter as the sweet, innocent, 13 year old girl that she is and not a dead body or a corpse, I deeply appreciate that. Thank you to everyone who hasn't forgot how my daughter got into this situation in the first place. No one should have to go through this.

I would like to thank all of the people who have reached out to me and shared their stories of their family members. Some have been heartbreaking, some have given me hope. All have helped me feel that I am not the only person who has had this struggle. Some of you have shared how you fought for your loved ones and they got better, some of you have shared your regret with not fighting more and some shared with me the incredibly difficult decisions you made to let go. I have prayed for you as you have for me. Sadly I can say I know how you feel.

I also want to thank those who felt the need to go public with their opinions about me and my daughter, positive and even negative. It is because of you that my daughter's experience is so relevant and that people all over the world know who Jahi Mcmath is. What you may not know is that her name, Jahi, means one who is known by many. Hopefully my daughter can
change some of the ways brain death is viewed in today's society. Honestly, I think she already has.

Finally, thank you for all the love, support and prayers you give Jahi every day. I am certain that she knows you are praying for her. I feel the support from your prayer all the time. I don't think I or Jahi would be here today without you. May God bless all who have shown love and
compassion as well as those who have expressed their contempt. All are deserving of God's grace and love. For those who believe, please, keep praying for Jahi. God can overcome all things and I believe that his will has yet to be fully revealed. I love Jahi and where there is love, there is hope.

Nailah Winkfield , Jahi's mom

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

$400M Lotto Ticket Sold in Calif.


A winning Powerball lottery ticket that hit a $400 million jackpot was sold in California, according to lottery officials.

The ticket was purchased at a gas station in Milpitas, California, located in the Bay Area. It successfully matched the numbers 17, 49, 54, 35, 1 and the Powerball number 34.

Dixon Landing Chevron, the gas station, will receive a $1 million bonus for selling the winning ticket, officials said.

A tweet from the California Lottery Twitter account claimed that the ticket was the only jackpot winner sold.

The South Bay is no stranger to selling jackpot-winning lottery tickets.

In December, a small San Jose gift shop sold a $324 million Mega Millions ticket. It was one of two big tickets. The other was sold in Georgia.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Dolphins Fire Turner and O'Neill


The Miami Dolphins fired offensive line coach Jim Turner and longtime head trainer Kevin O'Neill on Wednesday for their roles in the team's bullying scandal.

Both men were part of the recent Ted Wells report on the Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito bullying saga. Last week's report said that Turner not only knew about taunts in the locker room but also participated at one point, according to the Miami Herald. The newspaper reported that it was likely Turner would face the axe in the near future – and it came swinging on Wednesday.

Turner did not accompany the team to Indianapolis for the NFL combine and was informed of the decision from afar. 

"The language and behavior as described in the Ted Wells report are against the core values of our organization," Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said in a statement.

Incognito and two teammates engaged in a pattern of harassment directed at Martin, another offensive lineman and an assistant trainer, Wells said when his report was released last week.

Martin left the team at midseason, and Incognito was suspended.

As for O'Neill, he too was mentioned in the Wells report. It said that O'Neill was aware of misconduct from players including Incognito towards one of his assistants, but did nothing about it. The report went on to say that O'Neill even laughed at some of the comments which were racial in nature. O'Neill was in Indianapolis with the team at the time of his firing.

"After receiving the report, I conducted my own internal review of the facts to determine the appropriate steps for our organization. Jim Turner and Kevin O'Neill are good people who care a great deal about their profession and the players whom they serve, but both exhibited poor judgment at times which led me to this conclusion," Ross continued in his statement.

O'Neill was the Dolphins' head trainer for 18 years. Turner was the team's offensive line coach the past two seasons.

John Benton, who was recently hired by the Dolphins as their assistant offensive line coach, is a possible candidate to replace Turner.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live