NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Alert Issued for Hartford Teen


Police are asking for help to find a 15-year-old Hartford girl who has been missing since Tuesday.

A friend last saw Tierra Smith around 9 p.m. on Tuesday near Hartford Public High School.

She is 5-feet-1, weighs 165 pounds and was wearing a Hartford Public High Nursing Academy uniform, including blue medical scrubs, and blue Nike sneakers.

Police said she is not considered a threat to herself or others.

If you have any information on her whereabouts, call the Special Investigations Division Detective Ivys Arroyo 860-757-4236 or Sergeant Sonia Watson 860-757-4041.

Photo Credit: Silver Alert

Windsor Man Accused of Sexually Assaulting Child


New Britain police have arrested a man accused of sexually assaulting a child.

Police arrested Oscar Rosario, 43, of Windsor, on March 11.

The alleged assault happened in 2007, when the victim was 9, according to police.

The warrant is sealed, so officials provided limited information, but said the victim was familiar with the suspect. 

Rosario was charged with first-degree sexual assault, fourth-degree sexual assault, second-degree unlawful restraint, risk of injury to a minor, risk of injury by sexual contact.

Court records say Rosario was released on a $100,000 bond and is due back in court on April 1.

Photo Credit: New Britain Police

Bristol Police Make Third Arrest in Fatal 2010 Shooting


Bristol police have arrested a third person in connection with the shooting death of a 22-year-old man outside his apartment in 2010.

Anthony D. Jackson, 21, of Summer Street in Bristol, was arrested at his home Wednesday in connection with the shooting death of 22-year-old Jose Cruz-Diaz.

Cruz-Diaz was killed in front of his apartment at 81 Locust Street in Bristol on Aug. 15, 2010.

Jackson is charged with criminal liability for acts of another for murder and carrying a pistol without a permit.

He’s the third person to be arrested in relation to the homicide.

Gilberto O. Marrero-Alejandro was convicted of murder and sentenced to 60 years behind bars on Feb. 20 of last year. Christian Bonilla, 23, was charged with capital felony murder, murder and conspiracy to commit murder on June 4, 2013 and is awaiting trial.

Jackson’s bond was set at $500,000. He’s due in court March 13.

Photo Credit: Bristol Police Department

Home Invasion Suspects Charged in Separate Burglary


Two men accused of committing a home invasion in Danbury were arrested in court yesterday in connection with a home burglary in town.  

Michael Apuzzo, 25, and Alexis Jordan, 22, of the same address on Costanzo Court in Hamden, were arrested on a warrant on Tuesday in Stamford Superior Court. 

As police were investigating a home invasion in Darien in February that the men were suspected of, Darien detectives identified them as suspects in a burglary on Sunset Road in August 2013. 

Police said jewelry was stolen from the Sunset Road house.

Police were able to recover some of it and Apuzzo and Jordan were charged with first-degree conspiracy to larceny and first-degree larceny.

They were arraigned on March 11 and held on a $20,000 bond. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Cop Investigated for Sex With Teen


A Miami Beach Police detective who is being investigated amid allegations that he had consensual sex with a 17-year-old known to him in his unmarked police car has been relieved of duty, officials said Wednesday. 

Detective Oldy Ochoa Jr. was relieved of duty with pay Tuesday as Pembroke Pines Police investigate the sexual battery allegations, Miami Beach Police spokesman Bobby Hernandez confirmed. 

According to a Pembroke Pines Police search warrant, the investigation centers around Ochoa having consensual sex with the 17-year-old girl. One of the alleged encounters occurred behind a building before he dropped her off at Florida Career College, the warrant says.

"We take these allegations very seriously. We are cooperating with the Pembroke Pines Police Department to make sure there is a thorough investigation," Miami Beach Chief Raymond Martinez said in a statement.

Ochoa has been with the department for 24 years and is currently a homicide detective, Hernandez said.

The case is still open, Hernandez said. The Pembroke Pines Police Department declined to comment, citing an ongoing investigation.

Acid Spill Forces School Evacuation


A D.C. high school was evacuated and students were sent home following an acid spill Wednesday morning.

The muriatic acid was spilled when a contractor accidentally ruptured a line carrying the acid at Wilson Aquatic Center, which is adjacent to Wilson High School in Tenleytown.

The contractor was rushed to a hospital. A D.C. firefighter was also transported to the hospital, although the reason is unknown at this time.

Authorities evacuated the high school and aquatic center as a precaution. Muriatic acid is also known as hydrochloric acid; it is used to regulate the pH of swimming pools.

Hundreds of students waited outside at the nearby Fort Reno park before being moved to the nearby Alice Deal Middle School. Around 10:30 a.m., teachers told students they could go home for the day.

Dozens of D.C. Fire & EMS crew and ambulances were called to the scene. A chemical decontamination station was set up to scrub down hazmat teams going in and out of the aquatic center as they worked to contain the spill.

D.C. Councilmember Mary Cheh asked the District Department of the Environment's hazmat team to evaluate the situation and conduct air and water quality testing to see if anyone beyond the school complex could be affected by the spill.

The pool will remain closed through the early morning swim Thursday but is expected to open later Thursday, officials said. Constituents will be contacted when the facility opens.

Photo Credit: Jay Alvey, News4

Pregnant Woman Suffers Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


It was a close call for a pregnant woman in Vernon on Tuesday morning, when she woke up sick to her stomach.

She had no idea the carbon monoxide levels were rising inside her home, and she was already suffering from the silent killer.

“At first, I thought I might have been dehydrated so I just started drinking some water, but then I started getting sick and we were both getting sick so I knew something was wrong,” Brennan said.

In that moment, Brennan, who is six months pregnant, thought back to the carbon monoxide detector she had unplugged three days earlier. She thought it was beeping because of a bad battery, and by the time she realized she was in danger, it was too late.

“I feel lucky that I had to wake up for work that morning, and that we weren’t sleeping in,” Brennan said. “Because it could have turned out completely different.”

Brennan was taken to Hartford Hospital. She received treatment in a hyperbaric chamber because even a little carbon monoxide can threaten the oxygen to the baby.

With two carbon-monoxide-related deaths in Connecticut this week, doctors say Brennan’s close call serves as a good reminder to make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector, and to check your heating system again because it has been a long winter.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Dr. Kelly Johnson-Arbor said. “I think people might be sick of it and they just might not want to pay attention anymore, but it is important that people pay attention to their furnaces, and if they have a problem, to get it fixed because it could kill you.”

Brennan is expected to be released by the end of the day Wednesday. She is expecting a son at the end of June.

Sock Leads Police to Suspect in Armed Robberies


A sock led Wolcott police to a Southington man accused of committing several armed robberies.

Brett Downs, 32, of Southington, is a suspect in two separate armed robbers at the Cumberland Farms at 1655 Meriden Road in Wolcott, police said, and he is also suspected of committing armed robberies in several towns.

Early on the morning of Dec. 23, Downs went into the Wolcott Cumberland Farms with a knife, jumped over the counter, held the knife to the clerk's throat and demanding cash, police said.

After stealing the cash from the register, Downs ran from the store, police said.

Early on the morning of Jan. 31, Downs went back to the store and did the same thing, police said.

Detective Jeff Egan was able to link Downs to the robberies through DNA from a sock that Downs had worn on his hand and left behind at the scene, police said. 

Southington police also arrested Downs, who is suspected for committing a similar robbery.

He was arrested on Wednesday at the Waterbury Courthouse at 400 Grand Street after being brought to court from Hartford Correctional Facility, where he was being held on bond from the Southington robbery, police said.



Photo Credit: Southington POlice

Emaciated Dog Found in Ansonia


A weak and emaciated dog was found in Ansonia yesterday and the animal control officer is asking for help to identify the owner.

The female pit bull is 25 to 30 pounds underweight, extremely weak and can barely stand up, according to the Ansonia Animal Shelter's Facebook page.

She is at a veterinarian's office, has a long road to recovery and will need a lot of medical attention.

The dog had been malnourished for so long that every bone in her body is visible and she will need to gain weight and grow stronger before she can be moved.

She also has a large tumor on her body.

The dog was found near Colony Park and Woodlawn Road and had been eating cat food in a backyard.

Last week, a malnourished dog was found in Shelton and animal control officers in both towns are working together.

The Ansonia animal shelter asks anyone with information on the dog or her owner to call the shelter 203-410-7716.

They have also started an online fund raiser for the dog’s medical care.
So far, they have raised more than $1,600.

You can contribute online here.

Officials do not know the circumstances that led to the dog's level of emaciation, but animal control officers urge anyone who needs help in feeding an animal to reach out to their local animal shelter for assistance.


Photo Credit: Ansonia Animal Shelter

Basketball Brawl Breaks Out in Simsbury


What started as your average high school baksetball tournament game took an unusual turn when a fight broke out during the game, and parents got in on the action.

It happened Tuesday evening during the a first-round CIAC Class LL Boys Basketball Tournament game as Norwalk's Brien McMahon Senators took on the Simsbury High School team for a close game.

But midway through the fourth quarter a fight broke out!

Simsbury police said the skirmish involved adult spectators from opposite teams. No one was injured and no arrests have been made, but students say it was a sight to behold.

"It was the adults!" said Simsbury High student Sabrina Goldberg, who performed with the dance team during halftime at the game. "It was such a serious game, and the boys were doing such a good job. And then the parents are over there fighting."

Police say there were no injuries and no arrests were made. But tweets from inside the gymnasium captured the event in real time.

"It was just shouting at the beginning and then guys started punching," tweeted Simsbury student Doug Barnard.

Kevin Eustis recalled on Twitter that his mother, the assistant principal at Simsbury High, "had to grab one of the men involved in the fight. He had to be escorted out of the game."

"When the game was playing they just stopped it in the middle," said Simsbury student Maria Galle. "It got too much out of control."

Simsbury School Superintendent Matthew T. Curtis said he was disappointed and confirmed the game was stopped because of the commotion in the stands.

Curtis added that staff members like the assistant principal helped break up the fight, and police were called because there were no officers present.

"I think [the adult spectators] should never have done that," said Shakara Hill, a student at Simsbury High. "It was just a game for all the students, and that ruined the fun."

Simsbury High School Principal Neil Sullivan sent a letter to parents today addressing the altercation.

The school is also looking into why some students cheered offensive remarks about the opposing team after the fight, which police say is still under investigation.

Students Injured in Serious Crash Involving School Van


Four elementary school students were injured after the van bringing them home from school swerved to avoid a pedestrian and struck two trees Wednesday afternoon in Enfield, according to police and school officials.

The crash happened around on Moody Road 3:40 p.m. while a school van was bringing students home from the CREC Museum Academy in Bloomfield, a public school for students in Pre-K through fifth grade.

Police said one student was seriously injured and lost consciousness and three others received cuts and bruises. One of the passengers was extricated from the van.

All four students were taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Mass., according to police.

The van driver did not appear to be injured. Neither the driver nor the students have been identified.

Parents of the injured students met with the school superintendent at the hospital, according to CREC officials.

Moody Road was shut down near the intersection of Somers Road for several hours while authorities investigated and worked to clear the scene.

Anyone with information about the crash is asked to contact Enfield Police Officer Dubiel at 860-763-6400.

Manson Family Member Gets Parole


Convicted killer and former Charles Manson associate Bruce Davis was granted parole, officials from the state prison system said on Wednesday.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation’s Board of Parole Hearings granted the order for Davis, 71.

Debra Tate, whose sister, actress Sharon Tate, was stabbed to death by Manson followers in 1969, spoke at the parole hearing.

"Today was a very bad day," she told NBC4.

The decision was made during a parole consideration hearing at California Men’s Colony in San Luis Obispo.

The decision was the result of Davis' 28th parole suitability hearing.

The suitability finding is subject to a 120-day decision review period.

If the grant is finalized at the conclusion of decision review, the governor may conduct an independent review of the decision.

Under California law, the governor has 30 days to reverse, modify, affirm or decline to review the Board’s decision.

Davis was sent to state prison on April 21, 1972, with a life sentence from Los Angeles County for two counts of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder and robbery.

He was convicted for the July 25, 1969, murder of Gary Hinman and the murder of Donald “Shorty” Shea sometime in August 1969.

Davis has been granted parole twice – in January 2010 and again in October 2012.

Davis’ first parole grant was reversed by former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in June 2010.

Davis challenged the reversal in court, but it was upheld in 2012. Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. reversed Davis’ second parole grant on March 1, 2013.

Crews Respond to Officer-Involved Crash in Meriden


Authorities are investigating after a Meriden police officer was involved in a crash while investigating an incident, police said.

According to police, the officer was responding to the report of shots fired when his cruiser collided with another car at the intersection of West Main Street and Lewis Avenue.

Everyone involved in the crash was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries, police said.

West Main Street was closed in the area of Linsley and Lewis avenues while crews worked to clear the scene.

Police are investigating the incident.

No additional information was immediately available. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Woodbridge Police Search for Bank Robbers


Police are searching for the two men who robbed a bank in Woodbridge this afternoon and fled into New Haven.

According to police, two masked men dressed in all black entered the TD Bank at 128 Amity Road around 12:40 p.m. and demanded money. Surveillance footage shows they were also wearing surgical gloves.

Police said one of the suspects confronted the teller while the other kept customers and other employees from intervening.

The men got away with an unknown amount of cash. Police said they fled the scene in a tan car with New Jersey license plates. The car was waiting for them outside the bank and was last seen traveling southbound on Amity Road in New Haven.

Anyone with information about the robbery is urged to call Woodbridge police at 203-387-2512.

Photo Credit: Woodbridge Police Department

Parents Voice Concerns About Common Core


More than 150 people came to Hartford to share their thoughts on Common Core standards with state lawmakers Wednesday.

The controversial education standards were put into place in 2010 and most schools in Connecticut are in the process of implementing them.

But parents and teachers have been upset that they haven't been included in the process.

West Haven parent Jessica Chiong said her three elementary-aged kids come home from school frustrated.

"Specifically my older daughter, she has special needs, she has a math learning disability and she struggles," said Chiong.

She and other opponents of Common Core want the state to opt out.

"I'm not quite sure how you would do it," said Stephen Cullinan, superintendent of Ellington Schools.

Before Wednesday's legislative hearing, Cullinan and other administrators stood in support of Common Core. Cullinan said reversing course now would hurt students more.

"That creates confusion," said Cullinan. "The exact opposite of what we're trying to do."

State lawmakers spent more than six hours listening to concerns.

Parents and teachers said they've had little input throughout the process, prompting a movement at the State Capitol to slow down Common Core's implementation.

"We need to be responsive to those who we represent," said Rep. Larry Cafero, Republican Leader of the House of Representatives. "We need to listen to their concerns and at this stage we, as a legislature do need to get involved."

Gov. Dannel Malloy is putting together his own Common Core task force to examine the rollout.

The task force includes 25 members, 12 of whom are teachers.

For two years, the state will also hold off on linking the new teacher evaluation system to the Common Core standards, State Education Commissioner Stefan Pryor told the Education Committee on Wednesday.

Stars' Peverley Will Sit for Season


Rich Peverley will not play again this season after collapsing on the bench during a game.

Whether the Dallas Stars forward resumes his career won't be known until after more extensive work evaluating his irregular heartbeat.

Peverley appeared briefly at a news conference Wednesday, reading nervously from a statement that thanked "the number of people that saved my life" after he went down in the first period of a game against Columbus, stunning players, coaches and fans.

The 31-year-old left the questions to doctors who said his season was over and he would undergo a procedure that he decided to put off when his condition was first discovered during a physical before training camp in September.

Dr. Robert Dimeff said Peverley was given the option of treating atrial fibrillation, the most common type of heart arrhythmia, with a minor adjustment and medication or missing several months to undergo a more invasive approach.

"He said, `I'm new to the team, it's a new coach, a new general manager, I only have a two-year contract, they've got to know that I can play,"' Dimeff said of Peverley, who came to the Stars in an offseason trade from the Boston Bruins. "And so we went back and forth. That was a joint decision, an informed decision on his part."

Dimeff said Peverley's heart likely raced out of control and then stopped during the game against Columbus on Monday night, but probably for no more than about 10 seconds before medical personnel got it going again in the tunnel behind the Dallas bench at American Airlines Center. The game was postponed.

The procedure Peverley skipped in September, called an ablation, will likely be performed within days.

When he walked out of the news conference at St. Paul University Hospital, Peverley could be seen wearing a device that a doctor later described as something that monitors his heart rate constantly and can automatically implement corrective measures if the heartbeat gets out of rhythm.

Peverley remains hospitalized, but all heart tests have been normal, Dimeff said.

"The last couple of days have been a lot of anxiety, a lot of unknown," Stars general manager Jim Nill said. "It turns out that it's a great day to walk in here, to see Rich Peverley walking in here."

Dimeff said the question of whether it's safe for Peverley to play hockey again wasn't one they wanted to address yet.

Peverley was sidelined through the first game of the regular season after the condition was diagnosed, then played in 60 straight games before complaining of discomfort that caused him to miss a game at Columbus last week. He played in two more games before his collapse.

3 Dead, 69 Hurt in NYC Explosion


Three people were killed, nearly 70 people were hurt and others are missing after two buildings collapsed following a gas leak explosion that rattled upper Manhattan and shattered windows with a blast that could be felt blocks away, officials said.

The two five-story buildings at the northwest corner of 116th Street and Park Avenue in Harlem collapsed at about 9:30 a.m., authorities said. Smoke billowed into Central Park and could be seen from miles away in midtown, and New Yorkers said they felt rumbles as far away as 150th Street. Closer to the collapse, groceries were knocked from store shelves and debris floated through the air.

Mayor de Blasio said the buildings were destroyed, and that first responders were digging through the rubble for victims. 

The only indication of anything wrong before the explosion was a call to Con Edison from a woman in a nearby building, reporting a strong odor of gas just minutes before the blast, the mayor and the utility said. But it was too late.

"This is a tragedy of the worst kind because there was no indication in time to save people," de Blasio said.

Two of the three victims killed in the explosion have been identified as Griselde Camacho and Carmen Tanco. 

Hospitals reported receiving 69 people injured, including one child and one woman who were critically hurt. The 15-year-old boy's skin was badly burned, and he had broken bones and internal injuries, doctors said. The woman, who was pulled from the debris, is being treated for critical injuries to her neck and back. 

Most of the other injuries were described as non-life-threatening. At Harlem Hospital, where more than a dozen people were treated, one man who suffered from smoke inhalation described passing out as he ran from falling debris.

Another man was driving a cab near the Metro-North tracks when he felt the building explode nearby.

"He thought the train was falling on top of him, but that wasn't true," his son said. "His car got shattered but he's OK. He's shaken up." 


Two on-duty FBI agents who were driving through the area at the time of the explosion were among those hurt, but their injuries were not life-threatening, the FBI said.

A woman who said she was watching TV in her home about a block away said the explosion blew out her windows. 

"All my windows shattered and I didn't know what it was," she said on NBC 4 New York. She said first responders soon arrived at her building and ordered everyone out.

The blast and collapses registered at just under .5 on the Richter scale, according to the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University.

Another woman who was at her home on 115th Street between Park and Lexington avenues said she heard the explosion and thought it was a bomb. The explosion was near where Metro-North tracks run through Harlem.

"I thought a train had exploded," said Marisa Aquino.

"It sounded like a bomb. That's what it really sounded like," Trey Dey, a laborer who was working in a nearby basement when the buildings exploded, told NBC 4 New York.

Relatives of people who lived there were distraught at the scene.

"I want to know if my daughter is fine," said one woman. 

FDNY said it had hundreds of firefighters and first responders working at the scene to fight smoldering fires. Some neighboring apartment buildings are closed for firefighting operations and because of a sinkhole that's developed from a water main break, likely caused by the explosion. The FDNY said the sinkhole must first be repaired before crews can start bringing in heavy equipment to clean up the building debris. 

Officials cautioned it would be a painstaking process that would take time. The FDNY also said it was working to seal up windows that were blown out in surrounding buildings.

Investigators have finished searching the streets around the building and have not found any additional victims, officials say. 

The Buildings Department said one of the collapsed buildings had six units, the other had nine. One of the buildings had work done last June for 120 feet of gas piping, records show. It has no violations on record.

The other building just to the north had one violation from 2008 related to vertical cracks in the rear of the building. The city said a fine was paid but it was not clear that the condition had been corrected.

Con Edison described the building's gas main as an 8-inch iron and plastic main. In 2011, 70 feet of it was replaced during an excavation project.

The explosion blew debris onto the elevated tracks of the Metro-North tracks above Park Avenue, causing a shutdown of service in both directions. Service was restored late Wednesday afternoon after tracks were cleared of debris and inspected for structural integrity, the MTA said.

The Department of Environmental Protection is monitoring air quality in the area. The city's health department says smoke from the fire has largely dissipated and that respiratory irritation from any smoke is usually short-term in healthy people.

The NTSB said it was joining the investigation. The agency probes pipeline explosions as well as transportation disasters.

The NTSB says it will examine, among other things, Con Edison's handling of customer complaints, the oversight of Con Edison by federal and state officials, and any evidence of possible third-party damage from digging .

--Joe Valiquette, Brian Thompson, Brynn Gingras and Kyli Singh contributed to this story


Photo Credit: Twitter.com/PaulBassett

Light Snow, Ice Expected Thursday Morning


A winter storm that is bringing rain to Connecticut on Wednesday night could make things slippery Thursday morning.

Temperatures are expected to plummet early Thursday, creating potentially icy conditions across the state. The rain will change over to snow as well, putting down a coating to an inch statewide. Some areas in northern Connecticut could see two inches of snow in isolated areas.

Temperatures will range from 18-24 degrees with strong winds that will bring wind chills down near zero, according to NBC Connecticut Chief Meteorologist Brad Field.

The light snow is expected to fall through the morning commute on Thursday, before ending as flurries around lunchtime.

Connecticut will escape the worst of the storm as parts of northern New England could get more than a foot of snow before the storm pulls away.

Check for school delays and closings here.

Track the storm on our Interactive Radar.

Download the NBC Connecticut Weather App.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Police Commission Appeals Decision to Rehire Sergeant


Two years after a former Windsor Locks police sergeant lost his job for helping his son leave the scene of a deadly crash, state officials ruled that he should be rehired – but the police commission is pushing back.

The Windsor Locks Police Commission announced at a public hearing Wednesday night that it will appeal the state Labor Board ruling to reinstate Robert Koistinen, who was fired in 2012.

The controversy stems from a fatal accident in Oct. 2010. Authorities say Koistinen’s son, an officer in the department, was drinking when he struck and killed a 15-year-old on his dirt bike. Koistinen is accused of driving his son away from the scene and was charged with hindering prosecution.

Koistinen was placed on paid leave following the crash. He was fired in Oct. 2012 and later acquitted of all charges.

The former sergeant filed a lawsuit against the state in January claiming he was wrongly arrested. Last month, the state Labor Board ruled that Koistinen should get his job back.

But tonight the Windsor Locks Police Commission said it’s appealing that ruling, calling it an “erroneous decision… that is not in the best interests of the Windsor Locks Police Department or the Residents of Windsor Locks,” according to a statement released by the commission.

It goes on to cite “significant mistakes in judgment… committed by the sergeant in question” and argues that reinstating Koistinen would “weaken the public perception of the competence of our Police Department and the confidence of our officers in their supervisors.”

Many residents who attended the public hearing sided with the commission.

“This guy doesn’t deserve to hold any kind of public office,” said Windsor Locks resident Karren Zenzick. “None where it has to do with another person’s life, another person’s family.”

Kimberly Peasz agreed.

“I can’t see the effectiveness of him ever being in a cruiser again,” she said.

Koistinen’s son, Michael Koistinen, is currently serving jail time.

Report Details $60M Stadium Issues


Extensive cracking in the concrete of Allen High School's $60 million football stadium in North Texas is the result of "drying shrinkage of the concrete," according to a consultant's report obtained by NBC 5.

The cracks in Eagle Stadium, first reported in late February, are "typical of concrete that is poorly cured," according to a report by Nelson Architectural Engineers, a consulting firm brought in by the Allen Independent School District.

The 18,000-seat stadium has been shut down indefinitely, 18 months after its opening, so that more testing can be done to determine if it is structurally safe, according to school district officials.

The consultant's report reveals new photographs taken beneath the concourse level of the stadium that show an entire network of cracks that reportedly creep all the way through the concrete below.

The concourse is the area of the stadium where people enter and exit the facility, and access seating on the first level.

"The cracking has decreased the service life of the structure and potentially decreased its structural capacity," the report reads.

Core samples taken of the cracked section of concrete show not only wide and deep cracks, but also micro cracks, indicative of potential problems to come, according to the report.

The report lists four proposed solutions to the cracking problem.

The first, and most expensive, proposed solution would involved a complete tear-down and rebuild of the concourse level, a fix that would take months to complete but also would last the longest.

The other three recommended solutions are each more temporary and would need to be reapplied again and again, according to the report. The proposed benefit to the district, however, would be that the solutions are each far cheaper and quicker to accomplish than the tear down and rebuild.

Additional testing to study the integrity of Eagle Stadium is already underway and is expected to take months to complete.

So far, the Allen ISD has not said whether or not the fall sports season is in jeopardy.

CLICK HERE to read more on this in the Dallas Morning News

Photo Credit: Nelson Architectural Engineers
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live