Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Teen Killed in Front of Church


A 16-year-old boy was fatally shot in Chicago Saturday night in front of a South Side church.

Michael Flournoy, of the 8000 block of South Evans Avenue, was found shot around 8 p.m. in front of St. Anthony’s Church in the 1000 block of East 93rd Street in Chicago’s Burnside neighborhood, according to the Cook County Medical examiner’s office and Chicago police.

“I was in the house and I heard the shots,” said Flournoy’s uncle Richard Jackson, who said the teen was visiting his cousin's before the shooting. “I came over here and I saw my nephew lying on the ground.”

Jackson said the teen was on his way to buy chips when he was caught in crossfire.

Family members said Flournoy was an active student at Simeon High School, participating on the school's football and wrestling teams, had a clean record and planned to go to college.

His wrestling coach, Carnell Jones, said he was a "well-rounded, conscientious kid."

"I just feel like this time I dropped the ball," said his mother Tymeka Woods. "He would say, 'Mamma, I'm going to build you and home and you are not going to worry anymore.'"

Family members said the violence needs to stop.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with these kids,” Jackson said. “These kids are really out of control. I don’t know if we failed them as fathers or what, but we need to get control of something. Kids are losing their lives for nothing.”

Flournoy is the second person killed by gun violence in Chicago this weekend and at least 18 others have been wounded.

Less than an hour after Flournoy was killed, a 23-year-old man was taken to Roseland Hospital with gunshots wounds to his knee, police said. The man was shot following a dice game, according to authorities, just before 9 p.m. in the 13100 block of South Ellis Avenue in the Altgeld Gardens neighborhood. Police said a person who lost the dice game announced that he was taking the winnings, but a struggle ensued and the victim was shot. The offender fled without any of the proceeds, police said.

About 20 minutes later, 26-year-old man was shot in the 2000 block of West Birchwood Avenue in Rogers Park in a possibly gang-related shooting, police said. He was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston in stable condition with wounds to the hand and leg.

Also Saturday evening, a 34-year-old man was shot while walking in the 8200 block of South Loomis Boulevard, police said.

The man said an offender, who was around 5 feet, 11 inches tall and about 180 pounds, came out of a gangway around 7 p.m. wearing a black ski mask and a black jacket. He then shot the man in the shoulder with a revolver and fled the scene. The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center for treatment.

Earlier Saturday, a a 21-year-old man was shot while seated in a parked car around 3:30 p.m. in the 11300 block of South Parnell Avenue. The man said two unknown offenders approached on foot and fired at him, striking him in the left shoulder blade. He was transported by a friend to Roseland Hospital in stable condition, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Janel Sedevic.

Around 11:25 a.m., a man was shot in the face in the 10500 block of South Wabash Avenue, police said. He was listed in stable condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center with a gunshot wound to his “brow area,” Sedevic said. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.

At least 14 other people were shot, one of them fatally, in less than 12 hours Friday and Saturday.

Spring Break Party Turns Violent


More than 100 people were arrested and several deputies were injured during a spring break street party in Santa Barbara, Calif., that quickly dissolved into violence overnight.

Authorities from various law enforcement agencies were dispatched to control unruly crowds during Deltopia, a party in Isla Vista that drew about 15,000 people, according to a news release from the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office.

One officer suffered a head injury when he was hit in the head with a backpack that contained large bottles of alcohol around 9:30 p.m., officials said. As authorities arrested the suspect, a large crowd gathered and threw rocks, bricks and bottles at them, deputies said.

The situation quickly escalated into a major disturbance, with some party-goers ripping out stop signs, lighting small fires and damaging property. Chemical agents and foam projectiles were used to disperse the crowds in an hours-long effort to restore order.

Five other deputies were injured during the riot, with one being hit in the face with a brick, authorities said. About 26 people were taken to local hospitals in the incident.

Eighteen arrests were made in the disturbance.

Throughout the day more than 100 people were arrested and 44 people were taken to the hospital, officials said.

Personnel from Santa Barbara and Ventura County assisted in the crowd control. 

Photo Credit: Loudlabs

"Billy Cub" Punches Man at Bar


It turns out that old adage about not poking a bear rings true for cuddly mascot bears, too.

A YouTube video posted Saturday shows a man dressed as “Billy Cub,” an unofficial mascot of the Chicago Cubs, punching a patron in a bar after he removes the head of the costume.

John Paul Weier, the man who has been playing the role of “Billy Cub” for the last six years, says the costumed man seen in the video is his brother, Patrick Weier who frequently fills the role.

Weier says his brother was being harassed by the patron long before the video footage began. He said the man was punching his brother in the back, shoving him into the bar and continued to poke and hit him until his brother confronted the man.

He said the man left, but came back shortly after and removed the costume’s head.

“It’s obviously not good publicity. You never want anything like this to happen, but from what I’ve read online it seems like people understand that the guy was antagonizing [my brother],” Weier said. “It wasn’t something he was looking to do.”

Renae Kondrat, who filmed the video, said two intoxicated men were antagonizing the mascot at Wrigleyville bar John Barleycorn.

Kondrat and her friends were taking pictures with "Billy Cub" when the incident started.

She said one man was taken out of the bar when he became too rowdy, but that a second man continued to tease the mascot before taking off his head.

"A drunk guy threw himself into [Billy Cub] and I happened to have my camera so I started recording and it all happened real fast," she said. "I wasn't surprised. You're not supposed to take off the mascot's head, everybody knows that."

This isn’t the first time a “Billy Cub” character has had issues with fans.

Cubs spokesman Julian Green said the team has received complaints from fans before.

“We have received complaints from fans, mistakenly believing ‘Billy Cub’ to be associated with the Cubs,” Green said in a statement.

Green cited complaints that two years ago, a Billy Cub character swore at a patron and used an ethnic slur, because of an inadequate tip. On another occasion, a Cubs employee claimed to have witnessed a “prolonged verbal altercation” between Billy and another fan, again over the size of a tip.

“This behavior is wholly inconsistent with the enjoyable fan experience we try to create at Wrigley Field,” Green said.

Weier said the complaints mentioned by the team didn’t involve him, however, and noted that he has severed relations with the employee who was wearing the costume on those days.

The Cubs and “Billy Cub” have battled over the mascot title for some time, until the Cubs unveiled an official mascot dubbed “Clark the Cub.”

Citing allegations of trademark infringement, the League sent Weier a 100-plus page letter, ordering him to stop wearing the Billy Cub costume, and engaging in “unabated Mascot Activities.”

"They can threaten legal action, it’s once they finally take legal action that’s kind of a different story," Weier said. "I’m willing and prepared to go to court and try to defend myself over what I’ve built over the last seven years."

Weier says he has no intention of stopping his role as "Billy Cub."

"We'll have a little mascot competition now," he said. "There hasn't been an official mascot yet, and now we've got an official mascot and an unofficial mascot. So, a little competition in Wrigleyville."

9 Vehicles Set Ablaze in Fort Worth


Fire investigators are looking for a serial arsonist after at least nine vehicles were torched in Fort Worth Sunday morning.

911 operators began to receive numerous car fire reports on the short south side of Fort Worth beginning at around 4:02 a.m. The fire department said all of the burned vehicles were found in a one mile area by Hemphill Street and Berry Avenue.

According to arson investigators the cars were lit intentionally but it is still unknown why.

The Fralia family's 2002 Ford F-350 diesel was burnt to a crisp. Investigators said it looks like the fire was set at the front driver's side tire.The windshield melted onto the dash.The couple's barking dogs got them up around 4 a.m.

Caroline Fralia said “I came running out, try to grab the hose and as I'm calling 9-1-1 to give them our address and tell them our car's on fire the 9-1-1 operator goes, don't you live at 46? and I go no, I live at 47 and she said well we've got another fire down there and I thought oh my gosh."

Whoever got their kicks destroying at least nine vehicles including the Fralia's pick-up truck, likely wasn't counting a surveillance camera above the Fralia’s front door pointed right at them.

The video, which investigators downloaded onto a disk, shows a dark car pull up on the other side of the street and go out of frame. Moments later a white crew cab pick-up truck pulls up behind it and stays in the frame. Seconds later you see movement of someones head bobbing by the driver's side window of her truck. Then you see a bright flash, the truck’s burning and the two vehicles take off.

Fort Worth Police said the fire starters hit nine cars from about 4 a.m. to 4:45 a.m. all within a couple of miles of each other… mostly in the Ryan Place Neighborhood. This is where Marsha Henderson had her 10-year-old Toyota minivan parked.

"The fire department was down the street,” said Henderson. “They saw it catch on fire so they got here really quickly. They didn't run any sirens or anything. “They were working another fire one block down."

Vehicle owners are glad the fire didn't spread beyond their cars and no one was hurt but they are angry.

"It inconveniences me. It's going to cost me a lot of money to replace it and it'll have a ripple effect. It's a stupid, senseless crime," said Henderson.

"I really would like to get them caught because someone else may not be as fortunate as me," says Fralia who added she hopes this didn't’t happen to someone who had to wake up and go to work Saturday morning.

Investigators hope her surveillance video, in addition to any other evidence or tips they get, leads to some quick arrests.

The Fire department said this is a rapidly evolving investigation. Anyone who may have information relating to the identity of the person responsible for the car fires can call 817-469-8477 (TIPS).

People who call with information will remain anonymous and may collect up to $1,000.00 cash reward if your tip leads to an arrest and conviction, said the Fort Worth Fire Department.

NBC 5's Dulce Hernandez, contributed to this story.

Newlyweds' Love Has No Age Limit


It began as a friendship, a man and a woman with similar experiences and common interests. Barbara Kanas was a retired nurse from Philadelphia who had lost her husband to Parkinson’s disease. Lenny Raffeo was a former Montgomery County businessman who lost his wife to Parkinson’s as well.

The two met six years ago when they moved into the Elm Terrace Gardens Continuing Care Retirement Community in Lansdale. From the moment they met, Barbara made an immediate impression on Lenny.

“She reminded me of my wife who passed away,” Lenny said. “Same mannerisms, same sweetness and kindness.”

As for Barbara, what she first noticed about Lenny was his compassion.

“He went around and helped everybody,” Barbara said. “He encouraged people and was so nice to everyone, including me. I never really thought too much about him except he was a nice and friendly fella.”

The two remained friends until a year and a half ago, when Lenny said the words that would change everything.

“I just want you to know that you’re the one,” Lenny told her. “I’ve been watching you all along.”

For Barbara, Lenny’s words made her realize her own feelings.

“We had a chorus that he encouraged me to lead for a Christmas program,” Barbara said. “He sang a solo and a friend of mine took a picture of him and gave it to me. I kept that picture by my side the whole year, not realizing that he was really interested in me until he said that.”

From that moment, the relationship progressed until the couple decided to take the next step.

“One day he said we should really consider getting married,” Barbara said.

Barbara is 81-years-old. Lenny is 87. Yet neither had any doubts that it was the right thing to do.

“We really believe that God brought us together,” Barbara said.

At first, the couple only wanted a small wedding with their families. That changed however, once the staff and residents at Elm Terrace learned the news.

Traci Connelly, the PR Director as well as staff members Toni Allebach and Marissa Filippucci  planned the wedding and called on local businesses to lend a helping hand.

Koehler’s Jewelers provided the engraved wedding bands, the Rhoads Garden made the bouquet and corsages while the Distelfink Bakery made a 4-tiered wedding cake.

Barbara and Lenny got married on Saturday during an extravagant ceremony at Elm Terrace.

“It was unbelievable,” Barbara said. “Everybody here was so excited. We were sitting and reading cards that were given to us and it’s just amazing. The thoughts and wishes of everybody here.”

The newlyweds plan to visit Niagara Falls in June for their honeymoon. After that, they will continue their new lives together.

“I know we’re going to be happy for the rest of our lives,” Lenny said. “Being together will give us longevity. We are really meant for each other, there’s no doubt about it. We’re one person.”


Photo Credit: Elm Terrace Gardens

Teen Fights Rare Disease With Help From Shabazz Napier


Shabazz Napier is a leader on the court for UConn, but he’s also an inspiration off the court for a Wallingford teen who’s fighting back against a rare autoimmune disease.

“Just the way he plays and how he carries himself, I was always drawn to Shabazz,” said Connor Reed.

Reed, who is wheelchair bound during his recovery, has always loved basketball, and his friends now call him “Shabazz on Wheels.” After an unexpected gesture from his hero, Reed now knows that Napier is with him through the whole process.

Three months ago, wheelchairs and canes weren’t a part of Reed’s life. At 18 years old, his life took a turn no one saw coming when he was diagnosed with a serious autoimmune disorder that left him in a hospital bed for over a month.

“When I woke up in the ICU, I was locked in, so I was in a comatose state,” Reed explained. “I couldn’t do anything but open and close my eyes.”

His parents feared the worst.

“We weren’t sure what he was going to be like when he recovered, if he was going to recover at all,” said his father, Bob.

Reed has since struggled through rehab and gradually regained use of his body. What he didn’t know is that someone he’s never met had been cheering him on.

Shabazz Napier posted a video on YouTube encouraging Reed to push through his recovery.

“I want you to keep fighting, keep going,” Napier said in the video. “Every time you make a basket, think of me. Every time I make a basket, I’m going to have you in my prayers and I’m going to think of you too.”

Reed said one of his ICU nurses had a friend who knew Napier personally and helped make it happen, the New Haven Register reports. He was blown away by the gesture.

“I was shocked. It was unbelievable. I had to watch it a few times,” Reed said. “And I stated texting all my friends telling them to look at it.”

“I’m honored for you to believe in me and motivate me because of everything you go through. You still continue to fight,” Napier said in the video. “And I just want you to know that I’m here for you. I want you to continue working hard, and like I said, when you make that shot, just think of me.”

This weekend, they both kept making shots – Napier on the court and Reed at growing stronger. He’s now walking with a cane with a little inspiration from his favorite player.

“The fact that he would take his time out and do that for me because he knew I was a big fan going through a tough time – that thought meant a lot,” Reed said.

Three People Shot on Main Street in Hartford


Police are investigating after three people were shot Sunday afternoon on Main Street in Hartford.

It happened around 3:50 p.m. in the area of 2431 Main Street, near the intersections with Nelson Street and Westland Street in the North End of the city, according to police. 

Three people were shot and received non-life threatening injuries.

Main Street is blocked off in the area where the shooting took place.

The Hartford Police Major Crimes Division and Shooting Task Force are investigating.

The victims have not been identified.

It's not clear if police are following any leads.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Fans in Dallas Rejoice Over UConn Final Four Win


The rain in Dallas on Sunday didn't dampen the spirits of UConn fans who were still euphoric after Saturday night's win by the Huskies over Florida.

Many UConn faithful headed to Bracket Town on Sunday, the fan experience exhibition in the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas. While they enjoyed the interactive exhibits and merchandise shopping, all talk was about the Huskies' big win.

"It was amazing, surreal," said Claude Delphin, a UConn student.

Though some said they thought it would be a long night after UConn went down early against the Gators.

"It was rough at first. We were upset," said Patrick McCourty, a UConn student who sat in the student section along the baseline.

Ron Freeman of Rocky Hill made the trip to Dallas and was thrilled to be in AT&T Stadium for UConn's 10-point victory.

"We were down at first, but we started feeling better at halftime," Freeman said.

"The 11-0 run was a game changer, said Kelly McCourty, a UConn student.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hit-and-Run Suspect Sparks Chase


Police believe one woman may have been responsible for a string of hit-and-runs in a Chicago suburb Sunday.

Evanston police said three hit-and-run accidents were reported in the area around 10:45 a.m., involving a car, a motorized scooter and a cyclist. The incident sparked a police chase that ended in suburban Skokie.

“We could see her swerving, just missing cars,” said witness Cleveland Burkitt.

Police said a blue Toyota Corolla hit a car near Ridge Avenue and Davis Street in Evanston. That same car went on to hit a woman on a motorized scooter, sending her to the hospital with minor injuries, officials said.

The worst accident came when police said the car also hit a man riding his bike in the 700 block of Main Street, nearly snapping the bike in two pieces.

“We saw a bicycle down on the ground, lots of fire engines and tons of police cars around,” said bystanders Cheryl Nester-Detweiler. “We knew something fairly major had happened.”

Evanston police chased the vehicle into Skokie, stopping the driver on Main Street.

“Next thing I know they’re pulling her out of the car,” said Burkitt. “We can hear her say ‘I didn’t do anything. Why are you doing this? I didn’t do anything.’”

Police took the 63-year-old female driver from Wilmette into custody and to a nearby hospital for evaluation.

There did not appear to be any substance abuse involved, according to Evanston Police Commander Jay Parrott.

Police said the cyclist was transported to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston in critical condition with injuries to his head. His condition was later stabilized.

Trinity Student Groped by Man With Camera: Police


A search is underway for the person who inappropriately grabbed at Trinity College student and the men who appeared to have videotaped the incident, police said.

According to authorities, two female students reported they saw a film crew driving around campus and one of the men from the crew asked if they wanted to be recorded, then groped one of the students.

The students have not been identified. Police are looking for the people responsible.

Anyone with information is urged to call campus security or Hartford police at 860-757-4463.


Photo Credit: Hartford Police Department

N.Y. Woman Robbed by Disguised Man


Police are searching for a man who disguised himself as a construction worker and assaulted and robbed a 71-year-old woman in Queens.

Authorities say the man was wearing a yellow construction helmet and a white surgical mask when he followed the woman into her building in Flushing Saturday afternoon. The man then pushed the victim into her apartment before stealing her purse and fleeing.

The woman was injured in the attack, and had to be taken to a hospital for a fractured bone in her leg.

Police have released surveillance images of the suspect and are asking anyone with information about the robbery to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.

Young Brain Cancer Victim Inspires


A little 10-year-old girl from Leesburg, Va., who died from brain cancer, became a driving force in the efforts to raise awareness for pediatric cancer before her short life ended.

Gabriella Miller and her family started an annual walkathon to raise money for research specifically for pediatric brain cancer. A documentary about Gabriella was made to give kids like her a voice.

"A mom shared it with her husband who happened to work for House Majority leader Eric Cantor,” said documentarian Mike Gillette. “He saw it and said I'm going to share this with all my colleagues and were going to make some changes"

The changes led to legislation signed by the president, directing $126 million to pediatric cancer research over the next 10 years at a time when research dollars are being rolled back.

“When there’s an opportunity to see Democrats and Republicans come together to do something good, they really should be commended,” said Marc Miller, Gabriella’s father. "Honestly, it took a 10-year-old girl saying stop talking and start doing, and they did."

She's inspiring a generation to "do" as well as people from all ages came out Sunday for the walkathon.

Gabriella died last October, but after today's walkathon, somewhere, she is probably smiling.

For more information about childhood brain cancer or how you can support research, visit Smashing Walnuts.

1 Million Baby Car Seats Recalled


More than one million car seats are being recalled because of a problem with the buckles.

Evenflo is recalling nearly 1.4 million convertible car seats and harnessed booster seats.

The reason for the recall is because the buckles can get stuck, making it tough to get a child out of the seat. The instructional video from Evenflo shows customers how to replace the defective buckle with a new one.

The recall covers nearly two dozen models. Check this website to see if your car seat is affected and to acquire a new buckle.

3 Rescued From Burning Boat in N.Y.


The Coast Guard says it rescued three people stranded when their boat caught fire off Long Island Sunday. 

The three people abandoned their 36-foot cabin cruiser when it was engulfed by fire off Shinnecock Inlet and swam to a life boat they had deployed before a rescue crew from Coast Guard Station Shinnecock and the South Hampton Bay Constables reached them.

"They had only been in the water for a few minutes and they were already showing signs of mild hypothermia,” said Petty Officer 2nd Class Patrick Rogers, of Coast Guard Station Shinnecock.

The three received medical attention when they reached shore.

Their boat, meanwhile, sank after the North Sea Fire Department put out the fire.

Photo Credit: Coast Guard

New Haven Restaurant Week Begins


If you're looking to dine out for a deal this week, head to New Haven for restaurant week.

Twenty nine restaurants are participating in the 12th annual New Haven Restaurant Week, which started on Sunday.

Some of the Elm City’s most popular restaurants will offer special three-course lunch menu items for $18 dollars and special dinner items for $32, not including beverages and tax.

Check the Restaurant Week web site for menu options.

It runs through Friday.

New Haven is also offering a parking special at the Temple or Crown Street garages. It is $5 from 4 p.m. to midnight.

Lawmakers Push to Stop Advertising of E-Cigarettes to Youth


Some local Congress members want to keep children from smoking electronic cigarettes and they held a news conference on Monday about their efforts.

U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal and U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty introduced legislation to prevent marketing e-cigarettes to children and were at the Legislative Office Building on Monday with anti-tobacco activists.

“Having actively worked on smoking prevention and cessation throughout my career and in my children’s classrooms, I am very concerned about the widespread marketing of e-cigarettes to America’s youth,” Esty said in a statement. “E-cigarette manufacturers are shamelessly using flavors like bubblegum and promoting cartoon characters in their advertisements to addict our kids. And social media makes the widespread sharing of these ads just that much easier. I’m proud to join Senator Blumenthal in leading efforts to responsibly regulate e-cigarettes. We’ve made too much progress reducing tobacco use to roll back the clock.”

“Tobacco companies advertising e-cigarettes – with flavors like bubblegum and strawberry – are clearly targeting young people with the intent of creating a new generation of smokers, and those that argue otherwise are being callously disingenuous,” Blumenthal said in a statement. “This legislation would prevent tobacco companies from advertising to young people, helping to ensure they are not lured down a path of nicotine addiction and premature death. I’m proud to join Senator Boxer in this effort to keep young people tobacco free.”

A news release from Esty’s office cites the Centers for Disease Control and says 8 million middle and high school students nationwide have tried e-cigarettes and more than 75 percent of them have also smoked traditional cigarettes.

“Nicotine, a highly addictive drug, has serious impacts on the brain development of children and adolescents. Advertisements for e-cigarettes that highlight flavors like bubblegum or gummy bears and promote cartoon characters are shameless efforts to addict our kids. We’ve made too much progress reducing tobacco use to roll back the clock. This bill is an important first step, and I look forward to working with my colleagues to get it passed.” Esty said in a statement.

The news conference was held during National Public Health Week.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Stewart Wins Another Player of the Year Award


The news came hours before tip-off but it served as a harbinger of what would follow: Sophomore forward Breanna Stewart, who had already earned Associated Press National Player of the Year honors, had been named the Ann Meyers Drysdale National Player of the Year by the United States Basketball Writers Association.

A short time later, Stewart took the floor in Nashville, Tenn., against Stanford in the Final Four and, after a slow start, played like -- you guessed it -- the national player of the year. She led all scorers with 18 points, and added 7 rebounds and 2 blocks. And now the player with more individual honors than anybody on the planet will have a chance to win her second national title in as many seasons. The Huskies will face old rival Notre Dame Tuesday night for that right.

After the game, Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer offered a measured take on Stewart's success.

"It's who all she plays with [that makes her special]," VanDerveer said. "By herself out there, she would be another 6-foot-4 kid with some versatility. But we played against some of that. Stewart plays with [Stefanie] Dolson, who allows her to play 4 [power forward]. She plays with Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis who forces you to spread the floor. Or she plays with [Moriah] Jefferson, who gets steals and creates for her. So she's a very talented player. But the story of Connecticut is not just one player.

"That was evidenced by their four All Americans. They have the most talented team in the country. When you're playing with other really talented players, as LeBron James wanted to, as Michael Jordan did, when you're around other players, in some ways there's less pressure on you and there's this synergy, and it makes life easier. So she's very, very good. And she brings a great dimension to their team. But they are clearly not a one-person team. That's why they repeatedly win."

Back in February, Louisville coach Jeff Walz offered this, when asked if the Huskies could still win with a six-player rotation.

"Of course you can," Walz said. "I say this again … it must be awful to have to play Breanna Stewart 37 minutes. I have no idea how [Auriemma] sleeps at night. Imagine him going home on Sunday knowing he had to play Moriah Jefferson 40 minutes and Stefanie Dolson for 39. I probably wouldn't be able to eat. Look who [he] is playing. It's not like they are playing two walk-ons."

Stewart joins a distinguished list of UConn players to win the award, joining Maya Moore (2009, 2011), Tina Charles (2010), Diana Taurasi (2003) and Rebecca Lobo (1995). Meanwhile, Stewart remains a finalist for the Wade Trophy, Wooden Award and Naismith Award

Photo Credit: AP

Man Charged With DUI Almost Hit Officers: Cops


Glastonbury police have arrested a local man accused of driving under the influence and almost hitting two police officers.

Glastonbury police officers were on Main Street in South Glastonbury assisting Hartford Police with a motor vehicle stop when they arrested Christopher Serra, 33, of South Glastonbury at 1:24 a.m. on Saturday.

There were several police vehicles in the road with the emergency lights on as Serra traveled southbound on Main Street and tried to drive through the area, almost striking two officers, police said.

Officers stopped Serra. After an investigation, Serra was arrested and charged with driving under the influence.

Bond was set at $2,500,

He is due in court on April 23.

Photo Credit: Glastonbury Police

Ft. Hood Gunman Requested Leave


The soldier who opened fire at Fort Hood last Wednesday, killing three fellow soldiers and wounding another 16, had been involved in an argument about his request for leave just minutes before his deadly rampage, Army investigators said Monday.

Chris Grey, spokesman for the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command, also provided a timeline for the mass shooting that killed SFC Daniel Michael Ferguson, of Mulberry, Fla., SSG Carlos Alberto Lazaney Rodriguez, of Aquadilla, Puerto Rico, and Sgt. Timothy Owens, of Effingham, Ill.

During his shooting spree, Lopez drove from one area to another at the Army post, covering the equivalent of two city blocks and firing randomly at soldiers, Grey said.

Grey first confirmed that "alleged shooter, Spc. Ivan Lopez, was involved in a verbal altercation concerning his request for leave and the processing of that request at his unit's administrative office."

Grey went on to outline the sequence of shootings at a half-dozen locations that left three dead and 16 injured.

The shooting began after a verbal altercation took place at Building 39001, located at 72nd Street and Tank Destroyer Boulevard.

"Within minutes of the altercation, the subject brandished a .45-caliber, semi-automatic handgun and fired multiple rounds killing one soldier and wounding 10 additional soldiers," Grey said. "The deceased soldier and at least one of the wounded soldiers had been involved in the verbal altercation with the subject prior to the shooting."

Lopez then left Building 39001 by the south door and got into his car. According to witnesses, Lopez drove west through a parking lot to 73rd Street where he turned north and very slowly drove northbound in the southbound lane, witnesses said.

Along the way, he fired from his moving vehicle at two soldiers who were standing behind Building 40001, wounding one of them.

He then turned left onto Motor Pool Road and pulled into the parking lot at Building 40027.

CID said Lopez exited his vehicle and entered the building where he was assigned and worked, his unit's motor pool office and vehicle bay area. Once inside, investigators said he fatally shot a soldier working in a motor pool office before moving to the motor pool vehicle bay area where he would shoot and wound two others, Grey said.

Lopez then returned to his vehicle and drove east on Motor Pool Road toward 73rd Street. While driving east, he fired on a private vehicle occupied by two soldiers, injuring the passenger.

He then turned north and then east into the parking lot of a Medical Brigade Building 33026. CID said he fired on and wounded a soldier walking outside of the building before exiting his vehicle and entering the building. Once inside, he allegedly shot and killed an on-duty soldier at the entrance desk before wounding another.

Lopez then exited the medical brigade, got back into his vehicle and traveled south on 72nd Street.

"At this point, we do not know why he entered that building and we may never know why," Grey said.

From 72nd Street, Lopez and turned east into the parking lot for Building 39002, which is directly behind Building 39001 where the shooting began only minutes before.

CID said Lopez then exited his vehicle and walked east through a parking lot where he was confronted by a Fort Hood Military Police Officer. After a verbal exchange, the MP fired one round toward Lopez, but missed. Lopez then pulled out his weapon, put it to his head and committed suicide, officials said.

Grey said the duration of the shooting from the first 911 call to the notification that the shooter was down was about eight minutes in length.

CID officials said there have collected 235 pieces of evidence, including spent casings in Lopez's vehicle and at various buildings around the post.

Grey said the alleged shooter fired an estimated 35 rounds of .45-caliber ammunition during the rampage.

Officials stress that there is still no evidence of any connection to any terrorist or extremist group, though that has not definitively been ruled out. Additionally, officials have not revealed any definitive motive for the shooting.

Grey said an examination of Lopez's background reveals no criminal history or criminal activity.  Previously, Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, the commanding general at Fort Hood, said Lopez was being evaluated for post-traumatic stress disorder, but had not yet been diagnosed with the PTSD.  Lopez's father, in a statement released from his native Puerto Rico on Friday, said of his son, "he must not have been in his right mind."

Fort Hood officials are planning a memorial service for the victims of the shooting at 2 p.m. Wednesday. President Barack Obama and other dignitaries are expected to attend.

As of Monday afternoon, all but three of the injured have been discharged from Temple-area hospitals. The three who remain hospitalized at Baylor Scott & White in Temple are in fair condition and expected to remain in the hospital for several more days.

Photo Credit: Fort Hood Press Center

LifeStar Responds to Crash on Route 9 South in Chester


At least one person was transported to the hospital via LifeStar following a rollover crash on Route 9 southbound in Chester, according to state police.

Route 9 southbound was closed between exits 7 and 6 for about an hour Monday afternoon. Traffic was diverted off exit 7. The highway has since reopened and traffic is getting by.

It's not clear how many people were injured or how serious those injuries might be.

No additional information was immediately available.

Check back for updates. 

Photo Credit: Shutterstock
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live