Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Man Charged With Arson in Madison


Madison police have arrested a man accused of trying to start a fire to a Madison home.

Madison police arrested Adil Koummal, 28, of Bridgeport, around 2:30 a.m. on Thursday.

They said the arrest was made after Koummal allegedly attempted to set fire to an occupied home with a basement apartment at 97 Mungertown Road, Madison. 

He has been charged with arson in the first degree, criminal mischief in the second degree and operation of a motor vehicle while registration is suspended. 

Police have not determined a motive.

Koummal is being held on a $100,000 bond and is scheduled to appear at G.A. 23 today. 

Photo Credit: NBC10

Silver Alert Issued for Missing Hartford Teen


Police are asking for help to find a 16-year-old Hartford girl who has been missing since Tuesday.

A Silver Alert has been issued for Anna Alicea, who was last seen around noon on April 8 at 55 Forest Street.

She was wearing a purple jacket and black uniform pants. 

Police ask anyone with information on Alicea’s whereabouts to call the Hartford Police Department (860) 757-4000.

Photo Credit: Silver Alert

Streets Reopen in Middletown After Gas Leak


Several roads in the center of Middletown were closed down briefly because of a gas leak and have since reopened.

The gas leak was at 505 Main Street, according to the Middletown Police Twitter account

Yankee Gas responded, the gas has been shut off and the roads have reopened.

The gas leak was in part of a busy section of town and prompted Main Street to close at Washington Street.

Washington Street was also closed at Broad Street and DeKoven Street.

Main Street was closed at Liberty Streets and Court Street.

Police said one building had been evacuated.

The fire department also responded to monitor the gas levels.

Crews Battle Fire in Hartford


Firefighters are battling a fire on Zion Street in Hartford.

Photos from the scene show some intense flames and smoke was visible from the sky cameras.

No additional information is available.

Photo Credit: Kevin Brookman

Crews Battle Big Fire in Waterbury


Five people made it out of a home at Hillside Avenue and Cliff Street in Waterbury OK on Thursday afternoon after an intense fire broke out. 

No information was immediately available on the cause of the fire.

Zion Street Fire in Hartford


Firefighters are battling a fire on Zion Street in Hartford.

Kaepernick Probed in Hotel Incident


San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is being investigated by police in Miami in connection to an incident that allegedly involves a woman who passed out inside a luxury hotel room.

The report released by the Miami Police Department on Thursday does not charge Kaepernick with any specific crime.

A woman told authorities she partied with Kaepernick -- and two other NFL players -- and ended up in a South Florida hospital room without any recollection of how she got there, according to the police report.

The alleged encounter happened at the Viceroy Hotel in downtown Miami the evening of April 1.

Along with 26-year-old Kaepernick, Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, 27, and 23-year-old 49ers wide receiver Quinton Patton, who is entering his second NFL season, are both mentioned in the incident report. CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco reports Kaepernick and Lockette forged a tight friendship during Lockette's time on the 49ers' practice squad in 2012.

Police in Miami are continuing to investigate whether Kaepernick and the two other NFL players mentioned are responsible for any wrongdoing.

“There is not much we can say about it, other than it is an open investigation for all three of these men,” Miami Police spokeswoman Kenia Reyes said.

The report was taken by Miami police on April 3, when the unnamed woman walked into the department's central station.

According to the police report, the woman said she went to visit Lockette at his unit at the luxury residences of the Viceroy on April 1 about 9 p.m. Patton and Kaepernick were also there.

The woman said she mixed drinks for the men and gave them shots, according to the report. She said the men told her that if she wanted to drink she had to "hit the bong, which contained marijuana," the report states.

They chatted for a while and watched basketball.

Before midnight, she started to feel "light headed," she told police, and she went to lie down.

She said Kaepernick came behind her in the bedroom and started kissing her, the report states. He started to undress her, and she told police she got naked. They did not have sex at this time, the report states.

Kaepernick left, saying he'd be right back.The Viceroy Hotel & Spa is seen in this image captured Thursday, April 10, 2014.

The Viceroy Hotel & Spa is seen in this image captured Thursday, April 10, 2014. (Photo: NBC 6 South Florida)

When the woman called out that she was in bed naked, Patton and Lockette opened the door and "peeked" inside, the report states. She remembers yelling, "What are you doing? Where is Colin? Get out!" the report states. They closed the door and left.

But the woman cannot remember anything after that.

She woke up in a hospital and can't remember arriving there.

The woman told police that she and Kaepernick had a sexual relationship in the past.

San Francisco 49ers’ General Manager Trent Baalke released a statement to the media Thursday morning, which said:

“The 49ers organization is aware of the recent media report regarding Colin Kaepernick and is in the process of gathering the pertinent facts.”

TMZ first broke the news. TMZ's report says any investigation is in the "beginning stages," according to law enforcement sources.

Niners cornerback Tramaine Brock said he thinks the investigation "must be a hoax."

Kaepernick has apparently been training in South Florida during the offseason. Less than week ago, the 49ers QB posted to Instagram a photo of himself hashtagged "#Miami."

Attempts to reach the players named in the report or their attorneys have been unsuccessful.

It's been a rough year for 49ers players off the field.

Chris Culliver is facing one felony charge and two misdemeanor charges after a March 30 hit-and-run involving a bicyclist in San Jose. The 25-year-old cornerback was charged with felony possession of brass knuckles, which carries up to a three-year prison sentence. He also was charged with misdemeanor hit-and-run with injury as well as misdemeanor hit-and-run, which have one-year maximum sentences.

All-Pro linebacker Aldon Smith was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and possession of marijuana in San Jose. In October, the 24-year-old was charged three felony weapons assault charges, stemming from a June 2012 house party he hosted. In September, he was charged with a DUI. In November, Smith pleaded not guilty.

Both Smith and Culliver, who are still under contract with the 49ers, are scheduled to make separate appearances in Santa Clara County court on Friday.

NBC Bay Area's Damian Trujillo and NBC 6 South Florida contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: AP

6 Taken to Hospital After Car Hits School Bus in Wallingford


Six people were taken to the hospital after a car struck a school bus on Highland Avenue in Wallingford this morning.

Three students from the Betsy Ross Magnet School were on the bus in the area of 75 Highland Avenue when it was hit, according to police.

Wallingford Police said the bus was stopped, the warning lights were on and a child was stepping on the bus when the crash happened.

The driver, three students who were onboard and the child who was being picked up were taken to the hospital to be evaluated and treated for minor injuries as a precaution.

Police have identified the driver of the car as Darren Ford, 42, of Meriden. He suffered a substantial head laceration and was transported to Yale-New haven Hospital, police said.

The road was closed for two hours as police investigated.

Police are investigating the cause of the collision.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

LA Deputies Killed Innocent Man


The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department admitted Thursday to fatally shooting an innocent victim of a knife attack whom they mistook for a suspect.

In the wake of the admission, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office announced murder charges against the suspect. No charges have been announced against the deputies.

At a press conference Thursday evening, a sheriff's department spokesman said an internal investigation has been launched into the shooting.

Deputies on Monday were responding to a call of an assault with a deadly weapon and man with a knife in an apartment in the 900 block of Palm Avenue when two men came running toward them, according to a press release by the sheriff's department.

The deputies mistakenly thought one of the men was the victim and the other the suspect, officials said. They opened fire, shooting and killing John Winkler, 30.

"Believing Winkler was the assailant and the assault was ongoing and he would attack the entry team; three deputies fired their duty weapons at him," the department's release said. "Victim Winkler was struck by the gunfire and fell to the floor."

The other victim, already covered in blood, was struck in the leg by the gunfire and collapsed.

Deputies later realized that Winkler, who was wearing a black shirt and fit the assailant's description, was a victim.

After shooting Winkler, the deputies found the real suspect, Alexander McDonald, 27, allegedly choking someone inside the apartment, with a knife on the floor nearby, officials said.

Investigators on Thursday said McDonald, shown at right, allegedly held Winkler and two other men hostage inside the apartment at knifepoint, stabbing them and fighting with them as the deputies arrived.

The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office on Thursday charged McDonald in connection with murder, attempted murder and torture after deputies admitted to fatally shooting Winkler.

McDonald pleaded not guilty and was being held in lieu of more than $4 million bail.

Family members told NBC4 Southern California that Winkler moved to Los Angeles six months ago in hopes of becoming a television producer. He recently did production work for Comedy Central's "Tosh.0."

Winkler later died at a hospital. One victim was treated at the hospital for stab wounds and released. Another was treated for stab wounds and a gunshot wound, and was in stable condition as of Thursday afternoon.

Neighbors told NBC4 they're living in so much fear since the incident, they want to move.

"For me, honestly, I'm going to move out of the building," neighbor Peter Duckler said. "I feel police acted a little too quick and it just makes me nervous. I'm very nervous to even stay here. So we are actually packing up and we are leaving."

"They like to shot first and ask questions later," neighbor Monica Lewis said. "If there was no sign of a weapon or anything there was no reason to shoot them. The poor victims are dead and somebody lost their loved ones."

NBC4's Mekahlo Medina contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: John Winkler/Facebook

A New Survey Ask Riders to Rate Metro North


A new online survey is asking Metro-North riders what they really think about the railroad and its service. 

“The whole idea was to just capture the mood of commuters at the end of the winter, the end of spring,” said Jim Cameron, founder of the Commuter Action Group, which created the seven-question survey.

The survey asks questions such as, "How would you grade Metro-North?" and "What are the biggest problems you encounter?"  So far, Cameron says the responses have been consistent.

“The preliminary glimpse of the results show that passengers are not happy.  They're complaining about trains being late, lack of communication, the things we've seen in the past,” said Cameron.

While the passengers NBC Connecticut spoke to didn't have any complaints, they think the survey is a good way to give feedback.

“I think it's a good idea for you folks to have a survey, just to get a general idea about getting people's perspective on things,” said Craig Ballard.

“I definitely think that's important to know how the passengers are.  We want everyone to be comfortable and feel safe,” said Kaleigh Quinn.

Marjorie Anders, a spokesperson for Metro-North, released a statement, "Metro-North conducts its own annual, scientific, randomized and extremely thorough customer survey. We will continue to do so. We also have numerous ways for customers to contact us throughout the year, in person, by phone, by mail, by email, by social media. We value their input."  

She also says Metro North values all input including this latest survey.

“We're just going to issue the results to anyone that's interested: anyone who took the survey, Metro North, the DOT,” said Cameron.

Cameron plans to go over the survey results on Sunday and release preliminary findings early next week.


9 Dead in Northern Calif. Bus Crash


At least nine people were killed on Thursday evening when a tour bus carrying Los Angeles-area high school students crashed in Northern California, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The students were set to visit Humboldt State University for a college tour.

The tour bus collided with a FedEx truck and Nissan Altima on Interstate 5 near Orland, Calif., about 5:40 p.m., CHP officials said.

The bus belonged to Silverado Stages, a tour bus company based out of San Luis Obispo.

The group was heading to the university's April 12 Spring Preview Day, school officials said in a statement.

One family member told NBC4 Southern California the tour bus was filled with students from various schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Another parent said her daughter was a student at Norte Vista High School in Riverside.

It was not immediately clear if any of the students were victims in the crash.

Parents and family members of students who were on the bus may contact university police for more information at 707-826-5555.

Orland is about 480 miles north of Los Angeles, and 150 miles north of San Francisco.

Photo Credit: KCRA

EMT Arrested for Guns, Weapons


A New York City EMT was arrested after officers responding to a domestic dispute at his Brooklyn home found incendiary devices and other weapons, police say. 

Authorities say 29-year-old Victor Cadicamo was arrested Thursday morning on charges of criminal possession of a weapon, menacing and harassment. 

It wasn't immediately clear if Cadicamo had an attorney. 

The suspect's wife, also an EMT with FDNY, had called 911 after 9 a.m. to report her husband was threatening her with a gun, police said. The couple's toddler child was in the Brighton Beach house with them. 

Responding officers found and confiscated two pipe bombs, five handguns and two rifles, authorities said. The building was evacuated as a precaution.

Neighbors who waited outside for seven hours while authorities went in were stunned by the allegations.

"We can't believe this. He's a nice guy," said Yasir Ullah.

Ullah said when his family first moved into the neighborhood, Cadicamo had told his father-in-law he had a gun. Ullah assumed Cadicamo was a police officer and says had no idea he had a cache containing so much firepower. 

"I'm really scared for everyone, it's unexpected," he said. 

-- Brynn Gingras contributed to this report. 

Photo Credit: Facebook

Fire Damages Rocky Hill Home


Fire broke out a multi-family home at 155 Dividend Road in Rocky Hill this morning.

All eight people who were inside were able to get out of the house without being injured, according to the fire chief.

The building has five apartments and most of the damage is in the back of the house.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Woman Hit by 2 Taxis Dies: Police


A 22-year-old Boston College student from New Jersey was struck by two taxis and killed as she and her stepsister tried to cross an Upper East Side street late Thursday, authorities and her family say.

Kelly Gordon, of Brielle, N.J., was on York Avenue at East 84th Street when she was hit by a taxi heading south on the avenue around 11:30 p.m., according to the NYPD.

After the first impact, she was hit again by another taxi heading north in the opposite lane.

A witness who had just left his apartment in the area said he believed the women had just gotten out of a cab when one of them was run down.

"She came out of the cab and the cab hit her and another one hit her," said Joel Okpala.

Gordon's devastated family told NBC 4 New York that she was in Manhattan to interview for jobs, and had been out to dinner earlier in the evening celebrating interviews that went well. Gordon was the oldest of five siblings.

"She was so great and had so much going for her," said a childhood friend, Jillian Bucklew.

Barb Jones, vice president for student affairs at Boston College, said in a letter to students Friday that Gordon was studying marketing and finance in the college's Carroll School of Management. She had been set to graduate this year. 

Gordon was unconscious when crews arrived and was taken to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital with severe head trauma, police say. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. 

Both taxi drivers were at the scene when officers arrived, police say. No one has been arrested, and the investigation is ongoing.  

--Jen Maxfield contributed to this story

Photo Credit: Facebook

Congressional Delegation Calls on Leadership to Extend Unemployment Benefits


More than 48,000  people in Connecticut don't have unemployment insurance benefits and the state's Congressional delegation will be at the Capitol in Hartford today to try to call attention to the issue.

The local delegation is calling on the leadership of the U.S. House of Representatives to vote on a White House-backed bill to extend federal unemployment insurance for millions of families.

House Speaker John Boehner has called the bill "unworkable," according to NBCNews.com, and said it fails to include job-creation measures.

The U.S. Senate passed the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act this week.

U.S. Senators Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Congressmen John Larson (D-Conn.) and Joe Courtney (D-Conn.) will attend to discuss the impact the delay in extending federal unemployment benefits has on Connecticut families.

In Connecticut, more  than 48,000 long-term unemployed individuals have seen their benefits expire and are currently without unemployment insurance benefits.

The news conference begins at 1:30 p.m. in Room 1C of the Legislative Office Building  at    
300 Capitol Avenue in Hartford.

Bus Crash Victim's Mother Speaks


The mother of a teenage boy who was on the college tour bus Thursday night that collided with a FedEx truck, killing at least 10 people, said she is thankful her son is alive and plans to visit him at a hospital.

Covina resident Theresa Fulps’ son Anthony is hospitalized in the intensive care unit with injuries. Anthony is a senior at Pacifica High School in Garden Grove and was one of many Southern California students on their way to visit Humboldt State University at the time of the crash.

"Blessing all the families in the bus crash. My son was aboard that bus. So very scary," Fulps posted on Facebook.

Five students and five adults were killed in the crash and fire, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Fulps told NBC4 that Humboldt State University is flying her to Humboldt and taking care of her rental car and hotel accommodations while her son recovers in the hospital. Joyce Lopes, Vice President for Administrative Affairs at Humboldt State University, confirmed the university is flying many parents to Northern California. Lopes said that because schools were closed in the evening and overnight, the most difficult part in making arrangements has been getting in touch with the parents. Lopes added that the school will not close it's emergency operation until all parents had been contacted.

Fulps said called the hosiptal directly to get in touch with her son after her son's father informed her of the crash. Her son Anthony had left his cell phone on the bus escaping the fire and smoke.

"He had a chaplain in (the hospital) and a social worker, so they were holding the phone for him because he couldn’t hold the phone because he’s in a sling," Fulps said.

He told her he thinks he escaped through a bus window but he doesn't quite remember, Fulps said.

"He wasn't doing too good then," said Fulps. "He was pretty out of it because they were doing breathing treatments and there was a lot of pain from the fracture."

Anthony (left), who had just been accepted to Humboldt University, suffered a fractured elbow and smoke inhalation.

"I'm very, very thankful," said Fulps. "I just broke down."

The crash occurred around 5:40 p.m. Thursday. The charter bus collided with a FedEx big rig and white Nissan on Interstate 5 near Orland, Calif., CHP officials said.

CHP officials said among the dead are five students, three chaperones and two truck drivers. At least 34 passengers were injured.

The FedEx truck was heading south when it crossed the center line and hit the northbound bus head-on, causing the bus to erupt into flames, CHP officials said. The reason the FedEx crashed or how the Nissan was involved was not clear.

Nearly 50 people were on board, including the students, a few chaperones and the driver, CHP officials said. The group of students from Los Angeles and Riverside school districts was heading to Humboldt University's Spring Preview Day this weekend.

A parent told NBC4 her twin daughters, Marisa and Marisol Serrato, are students at Norte Vista High School in Riverside, but they boarded two separate buses because one daughter had signed up for the tour late. Their mother said she couldn't get a hold of the daughter who was aboard and was desperate for information about her condition.

"We love them a lot and we're waiting for them to come back," the twins' younger sister Clara Serrato told NBC4.

Late Friday night, the twins' mother confirmed her daughter Marisa died in the crash.

Jonathan Gutierrez (right), one of two students at Banning High School in Wilmington, was on the bus and told NBC4 the impact was sudden, extremely painful and immediately ignited a fire. Passengers smashed open windows to escape. He told NBC4 that he had planned to sit in the front of the bus, but moved to the back after his friend convinced him to do so. He added that most of the damage occurred in the front of the bus.

"I fell to the ground , cause I was at the edge of the seat.  I looked forward to the bus and I just see fire. Just fire, a ball of fire. And then...ball of fire. Everybody screaming and like I was panicking so I just started banging the window to the right," student Karmin Aguilar said. "Everybody, like three people were trying to fit through the window at one time."

Photo Credit: AP

Kaepernick Rips Report


San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick slammed media reports that he is being investigated by Miami police for sexual assault.

In a series of three tweets first sent at 7:30 a.m. Friday morning, Kaepernick wrote:

"The charges made in the TMZ story and other stories I’ve seen are completely wrong," he tweeted.  "They make things up about me that never happened. I take great pride in who I am and what I do, but  I guess sometimes you have to deal with someone who makes things up. I want to thank all of the people who have shared their encouraging sentiments. I assure you that your faith is not misplaced."

TMZ on Thursday first broke the news about Kaepernick, saying in its headline that he was being investigated for a sexual assault.

Later in the day, the Miami police department released a report filed April 3 by a woman who said she is a former lover of Kaepernick's. In the report, the woman said that she partied with him and two other NFL players, passed out at the Miami Viceroy hotel on April 2, and wound up at a hospital later without having any idea how she got there.

The report alleges no specific crime.

According to the police report, the woman -- who, according to the police report, had a previous sexual relationship with Kaepernick -- said she went to visit Ricardo Lockette, 27, at his unit at the luxury residences of the Viceroy in downtown Miami on April 1 about 9 p.m. Kaepernick and 49ers wide receiver Quinton Patton, 23, were also there.

The woman said she mixed drinks for the men and gave them shots, according to the report. She said the men told her that if she wanted to drink she had to "hit the bong, which contained marijuana," the report states.

They chatted for a while and watched basketball.

Before midnight, she started to feel "light headed," she told police, and she went to lie down.

She said Kaepernick came behind her in the bedroom and started kissing her, the report states. He started to undress her, and she told police she got naked. They did not have sex at this time, the report states.

Kaepernick left, saying he'd be right back.The Viceroy Hotel & Spa is seen in this image captured Thursday, April 10, 2014.

The Viceroy Hotel & Spa is seen in this image captured Thursday, April 10, 2014. (Photo: NBC 6 South Florida)

When the woman called out that she was in bed naked, Patton and Lockette opened the door and "peeked" inside, the report states. She remembers yelling, "What are you doing? Where is Colin? Get out!" the report states. They closed the door and left.

But the woman cannot remember anything after that.

She woke up in a hospital and can't remember arriving there.

Miami police said they are investigating the report, as is standard when someone files one.

Wisconsin-based XAM Sports, which represents Kaepernick, also issued a statement to CSN Bay Area in support of their client on Friday.

"We stand by Colin 100% and are fully confident that the truth will be evident once the facts come to light regarding this matter. Thank you for supporting Colin."

Agent Scott Smith represents Kaepernick, who is in line for a lucrative contract extension.

General manager Trent Baalke said recently at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando, Fla., the 49ers hope to have a new deal in place before the opening of training camp. And 49ers CEO Jed York said Kaepernick deserves to be paid like a top quarterback.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Riders Meet With Metro North Top Brass


People who ride the rails are still sounding off about problems on Metro- North. The railroad's new president met face to face with commuters Thursday evening to hear their concerns.

Metro-North President Joseph Giuliett acknowledged the trains haven't been reliable and that's resulted in inconsistent and longer commutes. The railroad says it's trying to remedy that as commuters got a chance to speak their minds.

"It's important that they work accurately and don't crash," said Lorraine Snead who rides the trains daily from Stamford to Manhattan. "For the most part we have great service here in Connecticut."

It's service though that's come under fire by many riders especially safety wise after incidents like the one last December when a train derailed in the Bronx and killed four people.

Commuters voiced their opinions--good and bad--to Giulietti.

"I've been doing it for 15 years in Florida. This is how I believe you do communicate," Giulietti said.
Safety was the number one thing commuters communicated to him to him. On time performance was another.

Maureen Hanson commutes from Stratford to Greenwich daily.

"There's not many trains that connect around the same time that I get into Stamford so I end up having to wait for 20 minutes," said Hanson.

She said talking to railroad officials makes her feel better "only if they make the change."

The railroad says it's rolling out changes to its scheduling. Officials say their new system will know exactly where trains are and if they're early, late or on time.

"Safety obviously is something you always worry about," said Chris Tyler, who's been riding these rails from Stratford to Stamford since 2000. He also wants "more information about when trains are coming."

Monitors with real time information are in the works for Connecticut but it could be a while. There are three more of these sessions in the weeks to come. One will be in Grand Central Terminal; the other two at stations in Westchester.

Suspected “Open House Bandits” Arrested Again


Southington police have arrested two women who are accused in a spree of thefts during real estate open houses in Southington, Glastonbury, Guilford and Fairfield.

On Wednesday, Sharon Nigosanti, 44, of Deep River, turned herself in after learning there was a warrant for her arrest, according to police.

Angela Ruitto, 27, of Old Saybrook, was taken into custody on March 27, held on a $50,000 bond and presented in court the next day. She was released from custody on a promise to appear and will be back in court on April 25.

On Jan. 13, 2013, the two women attended an open house at a home in Southington under the ruse they were a  mother and daughter who were interested in buying the house, police said.

The next day, they asked the real estate agent for a private showing.

When the homeowners returned home, they noticed that $6,620 worth of jewelry had been taken from their home, police said.

Police said Ruitto and Nigosanti pawned the homeowner’s jewelry at various locations throughout the state.

They were both charged with third-degree burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary in the third degree, larceny in the third degree and conspiracy to commit larceny in the third degree.

Nigosanti was held on a $75,000 court-set bond, appeared in court on April 9 and was released on a promise to appear.

Court records show that Nigosanti pleaded not guilty to a first-degree larceny charge in Glastonbury. She is due in court on May 1 to answer to charges filed in Guilford.

Ruitto was charged with third-degree larceny in Guilford and is due in court on April 23.

She was charged was first-degree larceny and first-degree conspiracy to commit larceny in Glastonbury, pleaded not guilty and is due in court on Friday.

Photo Credit: Southington Police

Former Attorney Accused of Embezzling $1 Million from Former Client


Bristol police have arrested a former Bristol attorney who they said is accused of stealing more than $1 million from an elderly former client.

Roger Nielson, 65, of Bristol, was arrested on Friday after an investigation that started in July 2012, when police received a complaint from the estate of one of Nielson’s former clients.

Nielson had been added as power-of-attorney to his client’s bank account and is accused of writing himself 15 checks, ranging in value from $1,000 to $150,000, between June through December 2011, police said.

Detectives from the Bristol Police Department arrested  Nielson on Friday morning and said he was charged with 14 counts of first-degree larceny and 15 counts of second-degree larceny

Nielson was held on a court-set $25,000 cash/surety bond and will be arraigned in Bristol Superior Court today.

Photo Credit: Bristol Police
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live