Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Students Gets Perfect SAT Score


Most juniors fret about it. It is a test with so much riding on it. From college entrance applications, to prestige and honor in the home and community, the Scholastic Aptitude Tests, better known by three little letters, SAT, can cause many to worry. One Methacton High School junior can now rest easy. She’s done the nearly impossible task. Lucy Jai, a Methacton 11th-grader, scored a perfect score on her SATs.

The Methacton School board of directors recognized Jai for her accomplishments during a presentation on May 27 during its public board meeting.

“Lucy Jai has brought considerable recognition to her school community by obtaining a perfect score of 2400 on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), a rare and significant accomplishment, therefore be it resolved that the Methacton School District board of directors go on record this 27th day of May, 2014, honoring the spirit of the exemplary performance,” read board president S. Christian Nascimento. Nascimento was joined by Methacton School District Superintendent Dr. David A. Zerbe in congratulating the teen.

A citation was given to Jai, who attended the meeting with her mother and father, Tuesday night. A proclamation and presentation were given in her honor.

This story was published through a news content partnership between The Alternative Press of Lower Providence and NBC10.com

Photo Credit: Melissa S. Treacy

Teen Pilot Begins World Flight


A 19-year-old pilot geared up Saturday morning for a highly ambitious feat: a record-breaking, 29,000-mile solo flight around the world that took off from a small airport in east San Diego.

“I’m just really excited. It’s been a long time planning, and now here we are,” Matt Guthmiller told NBC 7 as he prepared to load his small aircraft and take off from Gillespie Field in El Cajon, Calif.

The teen pilot, who just finished his freshman year at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), is embarking alone on the long journey, which will include 25 stops in 14 different countries across five continents. He’s flying a 1981 Beechcraft A36 Bonanza N367HP.

In the process, Guthmiller hopes to break the Guinness World Record for the youngest person to circumnavigate the world by aircraft solo.

According to Guinness World Records, just one year ago that title belonged to Jack Wiegand, a pilot who flew a Mooney M20R Ovation from May 2, 2013, to June 29, 2013, at the age of 21. Wiegand completed his flight in Fresno, Calif., and flew approximately 24,000 miles during his trip around the world.

In September 2013 Australia Ryan Campbell broke Wiegand’s record, completing his solo flight around the world at the age of 19 years, seven months and 25 days old.

Guthmiller will turn that exact age on July 24, so time is of the essence.

Though the bar has been set high, Guthmiller is confident he’ll be able to complete his solo flight in just over one month while clocking about 160 hours of flying time. He said the other young pilots before him inspired him to take on this challenge.

“I thought, ‘Hey, I can do that,’” he said.

After taking off from El Cajon, his first destination is his hometown of Aberdeen, S.D., followed by far-off places like Cairo, Abu Dhabi, Manila, London and Greece. He plans to end his trip back in his South Dakota hometown on July 7.

Before take-off, Guthmiller said he wasn’t nervous, but admitted that might change.

“I think once I head out over the ocean for the first time that could change a little bit but right now I feel fine,” he said. “The biggest thing I’d like to accomplish is to go out and inspire other people to do similarly ambitious things.

Through his journey, Guthmiller hopes to raise money for Code.org, a non-profit that aims to introduce computer science in more schools. He’ll offer advertising space on his plane, apparel and website in order to raise those funds.

His entire journey will be tracked on this website, updated frequently with his whereabouts and progress.

Guthmiller said his love of flying dates back to when he was a young boy playing flight simulator games for hours on end.

Woman Shot on Dixwell Avenue in New Haven


Police are searching for the person who shot a 57-year-old New Haven woman while she was driving her car on Dixwell Avenue on Saturday afternoon.

According to police, Celia Mitchell was driving on Dixwell Avenue near West Division Street when she was shot in the shoulder. Police said Mitchell also suffered a cheek wound. It’s not clear if that injury is the result of a gunshot or broken glass from the car window.

Officers found Mitchell in the area of 330 Munson Street. She was alert and conscious at the scene and was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital for treatment. Police said her condition has not yet been listed.

Authorities are searching for the person responsible and have obtained two descriptions of a possible suspect.

The first description is of a dark-complexioned black man standing about 6 feet tall, wearing all black. The second description is of a light-complexioned black man about 5 feet 11 inches tall, wearing a light gray T-shirt and brown pants.

Police said the suspect was last seen on foot heading northbound on Dixwell Avenue.

Investigators spoke with witnesses and gathered evidence at the scene.

Anyone with information is urged to contact New Haven police at 203-946-6304.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Woman Recovering After Home Robbery


A woman was recovering from a gunshot wound Saturday as police continued their search for three masked men who tied her and her husband up during a brutal nighttime robbery at the couple’s Beverly Hills home.

Police said the couple was confronted by the three men at their house in the 400 block of Doheny Road after answering a knock at their front door sometime before 8:30 p.m. Friday.

"The victims are elderly male and female couple who were tied up inside the location," said Lt. Lincoln Hoshino of the Beverly Hills Police Department.

The woman was shot in the leg before the robbers took off with some of the couple’s belongings, Hoshino said. Her injuries were non-life threatening.

One neighbor said officers searched her backyard with their guns drawn.

"They had guns, rifles," said the neighbor. "When they left they just told me, 'Lock your door.'"

After the men left, the husband was able to untie himself and call police, Hoshino said. They were both taken to the hospital.

On Saturday, the woman was hospitalized and the husband, who suffered severe bruising, was by her side.

Police have stepped up patrols in the area.

Jane Yamamoto contributed to this report.

Ex-Cop Investigates Father's Past


First a cadaver dog, now chemical analysis support the suspicions of a retired police detective that human remains were buried in the foothills above Hollywood decades ago, NBC4 has learned.

Analysis of soil taken from a location indicated by the cadaver dog found chemical markers for human decomposition, said the scientist who performed the labwork at the request of the retired detective.

It's the theory of former detective that as many as 10 long-unsolved slayings of young women in Los Angeles in the 1940's were committed by a single serial killer.   

What adds poignance to Hodel's suspicion is his personal connection to the suspect he's identified: the late medical doctor George Hodel -- the retired detective's father.
"I see him as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," said Hodel, alluding to the fictional split personality depicted in one of Hollywood's first horror films.  "Unfortunately, the monster, Mr. Hyde, was stronger and
over-ruled the good."
Hodel's suspicions date back more than a decade.  After his father's death, going through possessions, Hodel came across evidence that implicated his father in the infamous 1947 dismemberment murder of a young woman named Elizabeth Short, remembered to this day as the Black Dahlia.
Writing books and continuing his research, Hodel came to suspect his father had killed repeatedly before fleeing to Asia in the late 1940s.
During that decade, the Hodels lived in what is now regarded as a Hollywood landmark, the Sowden House designed by the famed architect Lloyd Wright in the distinctive Mayan block style that was developed by his even more famous father Frank Lloyd Wright.
Records long stored in the District Attorney's office confirm that the doctor had come under suspicion in the Dahlia case, and that police had planted a listening bug in the house.  Transcripts reveal that detectives heard him discussing the Dahlia at one point.  At another time, they heard from the basement what sounded like a woman being attacked.
Hodel believes his father committed murders in or near the house, and in some cases buried the remains nearby in unmarked graves.
In 2012, Hodel was able to return to the Sowden house when he was invited to participate in a TV program being recorded there.  Hodel got permission to bring along another retired cop, former Mammoth Lakes Police Sgt. Paul Dostie, who has worked extensively with Buster, his search dog.
Buster indicated a scent of human decomposition at several locations, including in the alley behind the house.  But where the scent is picked up does not necessarily mean that is where the
chemical remains are located; carried over time by water or gravity, the marker molecules can migrate considerable distances, according to forensic anthropologist Arpad Vass, PhD, a pioneer in chemical analysis of human decomposition.
A soil sample was taken from the alley, and late last year Vass used gas chromatography and mass spectrometry to identify the chemicals in it.
"The soil came up positive for human remains because there are a number of human specific markers," said Vass from his laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
What is more difficult is narrowing down how long ago death occurred.  Vass's estimate:  20-100 years ago. 
The chemical analysis cannot help determined cause of death, or even whether or not it was homicide, Vass noted.  But he said his findings are "consistent" with Steve Hodel's theory of homicide victims buried in shallow graves 70-80 years ago.
"We're talking about clearing potentially 10 cases," Hodel said.
But who?
Definitely not Elizabeth Short, Hodel is quick to say, pointing out that all of her remains were accounted for.
But the possibilities include actress Jean Spangler, then 26, her career on the rise in 1949 when she vanished.  Nothing more than her purse was found days later in Griffith Park, not far from the Hodel home.  A note inside hinted she was going to have an abortion, then illegal.  Dr. Hodel was one of the few physicians who then performed abortions in Los Angeles, Steve Hodel found in his research.  He also discovered Spangler and his father had a mutual friend.
Hodel hopes to search further for the human remains, but has been unable to get permission to go onto the privately owned hillside.
After repeated attempts by Hodel the past decade to interest LAPD in following up on his civilian 
investigation, LAPD passed again.
"Too old, too cold." was the feedback Hodel said he got.
But if it appears the ageless sleuth is running out of leads to pursue--don't count on it.
His research has led to three books, Black Dahlia Avenger, Black Dahlia Avenger II, and Most Evil, in which Steve Hodel lays out his case that when his father traveled to northern California in the 1960s he committed the infamous Zodiac murders.
Steve Hodel still hopes to find the source of the scent of human decomposition near his childhood Hollywood home.
"I'm going to keep digging," Hodel vowed--figuratively, if not literally.

NH Officers Fired Upon During Search Warrant Execution


New Haven police officers were fired upon while executing a search warrant early Sunday morning.

According to police, detectives and officers from the Criminal Intelligence Unit, Major Crimes Division, Shooting Task Force, Street Interdiction Unit and S.W.A.T were summoned to execute a search and seizure warrant at an apartment at the Presidential Garden's housing complex at 573 Dixwell Ave.

Shortly before 3 a.m., at least one person at the housing complex fired shots at detectives who were posted at the rear of the property.

Officers did not return fire and did not see who fired the shots. No one was hit.

During a search, police located two guns, an assault rifle and a semi-automatic handgun with an extended magazine.

According to officers on the scene, the warrant was in relation to a shooting that occurred around 8 p.m. Saturday night just a few blocks away. A 57-year old women was injured in that shooting.

Detectives from the Major Crimes Division and Bureau of Investigation are at the scene speaking to witnesses and collecting evidence.


Man Robs Gas Station To Get Money for Birthday Present


A Bridgeport man is in custody after robbing a gas station at knife point possibly to get money for a birthday present.

According to police, after Stefano Carcino, 25, robbed the Shell Gas Station,4402 Main St., at knife point witnesses remembered the license plate on the car he used to get away.

Police ran the registration of the car and went to the address listed. They also noticed that it was the owner of the car's birthday.

Officers believed that the robber held up the gas station so that he could buy the female owner of the car a birthday present.

On a hunch, the officers drove to the nearby Trumbull Mall. After driving through rows and rows in the parking lot, the officers did not find the vehicle in question.

On their way back to police headquarters, the officers noticed a car matching the description of the car used by the suspect.

The detectives stopped the vehicle and detained the male suspect and his female companion.

While interviewing the woman, she told police that her and Carcino were en route to the Trumbull Mall so he could buy her a new dress for her birthday.

"This was outstanding work by detectives," said Police Chief Joseph L. Gaudett Jr. "They worked with the leads they had, developed a theory, played a hunch and nailed it. Their instincts were spot on."



"Bottle Bomb” Arrest


Police have arrested a suspect for allegedly detonating a "bottle bomb" inside a Prince George’s County theater.

Manuel Joyner, 20, was arrested Sunday by officers from the Prince George’s County Office of the Fire Marshal with help from county police.  Investigators said Joyner made and exploded a "bottle bomb" inside the Magic Johnson Movie Theatre in Largo, Md., on May 24.

He is officially charged with manufacture/possession/detonation of a destructive device – a felony charge. If convicted, he could face up to 25 years in jail.

After the arrest, ATF, FBI, Anne Arundel County Fire Marshal, Fairfax County Fire Marshal, City of Alexandria Fire Marshal and the Montgomery County Fire Marshal, executed a search warrant at a home in the 600 block of Stillwater Place in Bowie.

More charges against Joyner are expected, according to a release from authorities.

Investigators said those bottles were filled with chemicals and metal, and they consider the incidents possible acts of terrorism.

Two "bottle bombs" exploded recently at the AMC movie theater in Tysons Corner, Va. There have been no injuries in any of the cases.

The Associated Press reports online court records show Joyner pleaded guilty in late 2012 to malicious destruction of property and was given probation before judgment. A person who answered the phone at Joyner's home on Sunday said she was unaware of the arrest and did not say whether he had an attorney.

Severe Thunderstorms Move Through Litchfield County


A severe thunderstorm warning issued earlier for Litchfield County expired at 8:30 p.m. Friday.

Wind gusts were expected to reach up to 60 miles per hour and hail was a possibility, according to NBC Connecticut Meteorologist Brad Field.

The forecast for the weekend is mostly nice.

It will be partly sunny on Saturday with a high of 67 and a few sprinkles or a shower.

Sunday will be beautiful, with sunny, warm, dry weather and highs near 75.

Suspect in Sandy Hook Memorial Park Sign Thefts Arrested


A Virginia man accused of stealing two signs from parks honoring victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown and calling a victim’s family, claiming the shooting was a hoax, has been arrested.

Andrew David Truelove, 28, has been arrested in Herndon, Virginia, thanks to the help of Stonington police.

Truelove is accused of stealing a memorial sign for 7-year-old Grace McDonnell from a park in Mystic, Connecticut, and another for 7-year-old Chase Kowalski from a park in Mantoloking, New Jersey.

"He was just being disrespectful. That's the best way I can put it," said Becky Kowalski, Chase's mother. "For them to have no empathy toward myself, my family, and all other families that have lost children... it's sad."

After stealing the sign from the park honoring McDonnell, Truelove called the slain girl's mother to tell her why he did it, according to one of the playground's supporters.

Herndon police in Virginia told  NBC Washington that Truelove may be part of a group known as the "truthers" who believe the Sandy Hook school shooting massacres was architected to trigger stricter gun laws.

He is banned from a school property in Herndon, according to police.

"It's hard to explain the why, because from our perspective it doesn't appear rational, that type of thought process," Herndon Police chief Maggie DeBoard told NBC Washington. "We know Sandy Hook occurred, obviously there are a lot of victims in that case. So I can't explain the why, but we do know that this suspect has a troubled past, he has an extensive criminal history, he has criminal history tied to kids."

Police searched the room Truelove rented at a home in the 400 block of Fillmore Street and found the two stolen signs.

But Truelove's father, Alan claims that his son didn't steal the signs, and when asked whether he believes the shootings happened, said he was "not interested" in discussing those events.

"They're chasing the wrong fella," Alan Truelove told NBC Washington. "So police have this investigation completely wrong."

Truelove has been charged with possession of stolen property and he is being held at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.

Police in Virginia said charges in Connecticut and New Jersey are pending. Investigators may upgrade his charges to felonies, NBC Washington reported.

The arrest comes after Stonington police called the Herndon Police Department’s Criminal Investigations Section earlier this week with a possible address for a suspect, police said.

Police also credit blogger and reporter Chez Pazienza of The Daily Banter with helping to crack the case. Pazienza wrote an open letter asking the thief to come forward, and he received a response, including photographs of the signs in a living room.

"I waas really angry and I wanted to see this person go down for this," Pazienza told NBC Connecticut in a Skype interview Friday. "I wasn't just going to let it go."

Stonington police said detectives will be traveling to Virginia to retrieve the sign for the Grace McDonnell park.

Photo Credit: Fairfax Co., Virginia Sheriff/NBC Connecticut

Twitter Hidden Cash Hits Chicago


It appears the Hidden Cash Twitter craze has made its way to Chicago.

Using the Twitter handle @HiddenCashChi, someone has been leaving envelopes of money around the city.

The hidden money movement, which sprouted as an experiment in San Francisco and generated a mini-Gold Rush that has since spread to cities across the nation, began in the Windy City Memorial Day and the first clue was posted Tuesday.

Juan Campos was the first to find the hidden stash of $40.

Campos was donating clothes at a donation box on Western and Grand Avenues on the city’s Northwest Side.

“I saw a note attached to the bin and I thought it was like people advertising for a yard sale or apartments for rent,” Campos said. “At first I didn’t know what it was, then I actually opened it and that’s when I realized.”

Campos said he was reading about the San Francisco events earlier in the day, but didn’t know it had to spread to the city.

“It was a bit of a surprise,” he said. “I wasn’t actively searching for it but I thought it was pretty neat that I happened upon it while I was donating clothes.”

Campos tweeted a photo to the Twitter handle, as requested on the envelope he found, and said the manager of the page asked him to “pay it forward.”

“We went back and forth and they suggested a random act of kindness,” he said.

The same day he found the money Campos said he decided to buy someone’s coffee. The next day he bought someone’s breakfast at Starbucks.

According to the Twitter page, at least four other envelopes were hidden around the city Tuesday, and one other person had found an envelope.

And apparently more envelopes are on their way.

Photo Credit: @HiddenCashChi/Twitter

LAPD Drones Raise Privacy Concerns


The Los Angeles Police Department’s recent acquisition of two drones has the ACLU concerned over potential privacy issues.

While the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California applauded the LAPD for being transparent about the department’s acquisition of the Draganflyer X6 drones, the group “questions whether the marginal benefits to SWAT operations justify the serious threat to privacy,” said executive director Hector Villagra.

“They can be used for completely surreptitious surveillance that a helicopter could never perform,” Villagra said in a statement. “Drones equipped with facial recognition software, infrared technology, and speakers capable of monitoring personal conversations would cause real harms to our privacy rights.”

For now, the LAPD has not decided whether or not to use the unmanned vehicles. The drones are being held by a federal law enforcement agency and is pending review by the LAPD and the Board of Police Commissioners, a five-member group that is set in place to serve as the citizen’s voice in police matters.

The drones would be used in narrow cases such as to “prevent imminent bodily harm” or “a hostage situation or barricaded armed suspect,” according to a news release from the LAPD.

The drones were originally purchased by the Seattle Police Department with federal grants and were given to the LAPD free of cost. 

Photo Credit: draganfly.com

91-Year-Old Breaks Marathon Records


 The 2014 Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon saw new records for time and age shattered by one runner.

At 91 years old, Harriette Thompson has become the oldest woman to complete the Southern California race – her 15th time running it. That made her the second oldest marathon runner in U.S. history.

With a time of 7 hours, 7 minutes and 42 seconds, she also broke the U.S. record for the fastest marathon run in the 90-94 age group.

The previous record was held by a 90-year-old runner in Portland, Oregon, who ran a marathon in 8:53:08, according to U.S.A. Track & Field.

But a brief chat with Thompson reveals her story outpaces even her record-breaking running.

The North Carolina resident is a cancer survivor, most recently battling squamous cell carcinoma on her legs, Runners World reports.

“I’m having radiation on my legs. I just had nine radiation treatments, and they’re being healed now,” she said before Sunday’s race.

Treatments and hospitalizations forced her to skip last year’s Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon, but she came back this year with a new spring in her step. Before the race, she said she felt fine, though one leg was giving her a bit of trouble.

Through her runs, Thompson helps to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training. The team’s campaign director told the Charlotte Observer Thompson’s efforts have generated more than $90,000 for the society.

The cause is close to her heart because everyone in her family had died from leukemia or some form of cancer, she told NBC 7.

Recently, she lost her 99-year-old brother to lymphoma, so keeping up her own health is one of her main motivations to run.

In previous races, Thompson has trained with a team, but this year, she had a hard time keeping up with them – understandable, since they are a group of 20 year olds.

Instead, she put together her own routine.

“I try to run around the block, and I do a few 5Ks,” said Thompson. “I think the most I’ve done this year is an 8K, so it’s sort of a lot to ask to jump from that to 26.”

But jump she did, running with her son to help keep her going. Her favorite part of a marathon?

“Oh, my favorite part’s at the end when I get over that finish line! That’s the best part,” she said.

However, there’s more to this race that has kept her coming back for 15 years. The Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego is the first marathon she ever ran, making her debut at the age of 76, according to the Charlotte Observer.

“The city is wonderful, the people are wonderful, the scenery, the weather – everything’s great. And it’s not terribly hilly, so I can’t imagine doing any other one,” said Thompson.

But this year, she did not anticipate all the media attention. When told that she was an inspiration to others, the humble runner responded, “That’s wonderful if that’s true. That’s a benefit I didn’t expect.”

The 91-year-old took some time before the race to share some wisdom for those beyond the marathon course.

"I guess I could say it's never too late, and you feel wonderful if you -- I'm sure that if you exercise, you certainly know the benefits of it," she said.

Homes Evacuated After Gas Leak in Madison


Several homes wee tempoarily evacauted on Buck Hill Road in Madison following a propane link Sunday moning, according to Madison police.

Fire officials said the leak sprung mid-morning and mutual aid was called in from Durham and Guilford. A tanker and full strike team were sent in.

It happened when a homeowner struck an above-ground connection to a 500-gallon tank with his or her vehicle, according to the New Haven Register.

The New Haven Register reports that the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection was also called to the scene as a precaution.

Police said the evacuations were temporary and that the situation has been resolved.

Photo Credit: Madison Hose Co. 1

Suspicious Package Reported at Brown Park in Norwich


Brown Park in Norwich was evacuated for about two hours Saturday evening and Market Street was blocked off after authorities received the report of a suspicious package, police said.

Nowich police and a bomb squad responded to the scene to investigate. Officers found the package in question and determined that it was not an explosive device and did not pose a threat, according to police.

The park reopened around 8 p.m. Sunday.

Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Norwich police at 860-886-5561 ext. 500.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Pa. Gov Was Invited on Doomed Plane


Gov. Ed Rendell says he was invited by Lewis Katz to fly on to Massachusetts. The return flight to Atlantic City never made it off the ground and crashed.

Sterling Attends LA Church Service


Donald Sterling attended a predominantly black church service Sunday on an invitation from a pastor who said the embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner should be forgiven after making racist remarks.

A gospel choir greeted Sterling as he walked into Praises of Zion Baptist Church on San Pedro Street in South Los Angeles.

“I'm here to support this wonderful group,” Sterling told NBC4.

The senior pastor, Dr. J. Benjamin Hardwick, met Sterling two weeks ago and invited him to worship.

“I want you to know, my friend, we pray for you',” Hardwick told Sterling.

Hardwick said he did not believe Sterling was a racist.

Asked if she believed that Sterling was there to improve his image, a church member said, "No, I don’t believe that. I believe that he did the right thing by coming here."

But not everyone agreed.

"I feel sorry for him because, first of all, he’s a slum landlord. And second of all, I don’t think he really cares for people as he should," said another church member.

Sterling was mobbed for pictures as he left the church. He told NBC4 that he thought the service was “fabulous.”

Sterling declined to comment on his battle over the ownership of the Clippers. On Friday, he filed a lawsuit seeking $1 billion in damages from the NBA after being forced to relinquish control of team.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver fined Sterling $2.5 million and sought to ban him for life from the league after Sterling told an ex-girlfriend not to bring black people to Clippers games.

Possible Shark Bite in Florida


A 22-year-old woman was bit by what officials think may have been a shark Sunday in Fort Lauderdale.

The woman, Jessica Vaughn, was inner tubing with a friend at the Intracoastal Waterway near Bayshore Drive around 2 p.m., according to Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue.

Vaughn was in the water when she felt something on her leg and then felt a fin hit her face, officials said.

"I got hit by something," Vaughn said. "And then I realized that my leg is cut open and it was pretty scary. It felt like somebody punched my leg. At first I wasn't sure, but then once I saw my leg, I was like, that's not just a fish. So then I realized it was a shark...and they saw it from the boat."

The attack happened when Jessica was tubing with her friends and she said she was already nervous before the attack.

"I don't like not being able to see the bottom," Vaughn said. "I don't know what's under there. Just go in there to go tubing, once I get to the tube, I'll be fine. On my way out there, it obviously happend. I was like, 'this really just happened to me.'"

"I turned around when I heard the splash and I seen the fin caught her in the face," friend Nick Russo said.

Vaughn's friend told her to get back on the boat, and when she did, that's when she saw what appeared to be a large bite mark on her leg, according to officials.

"One side is all cut in and the other side you can see the teeth marks, I mean it's a full, full bite mark," friend Kyle Branston said.

They made it back to 511 Bayshore Drive where they began yelling for help and someone nearby called 911.

First responders were on the scene in just minutes and when they arrived, Jessica's friends had done some of their work for them.

"I have to commend the crew of the boat for two things: One, they had a first-aid kit, and two, they used it. When we go tthere, she was very well bandaged," said Timothy Heiser of Fort Lauderdale Fire-R

Vaughn was taken to Broward General Hospital for treatment. Vaughn's surgeon said it was the biggest shark bite he had treated and the shakr just missed several key arteries and veins.

"It looks like he grabbed it and just pulled away," said Dr. Zoran Potparic. "So he pulled those tissues on the inner side of the thigh, leaving the big flap of tissue that was hanging and that was really the major wound."

The 22 year old is expected to make a full recovery.

"It's still surreal," Vaughn said. "I think about it and I can't believe it happened - especially to me."

She doesn't have insurance so thanks to social media her friends set up an account to help pay for expense here.

GRAPHIC PHOTO WARNING: Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue released the following photo of the injury on their Twitter feed:

Kings Advance to Stanley Cup Final


The Los Angeles Kings have advanced to the Stanley Cup Final with a 5-4 overtime victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday night. Alec Martinez picked up the overtime winner to send the Kings to their second Cup Final in three seasons. 

The Kings will open up the Final at home on Wednesday night at Staples Center when they welcome the Eastern Conference champion New York Rangers to the West Coast. The Rangers won a 1-0 Game 6 victory over the Montreal Canadiens to clinch their berth in the Final for the first time in two decades. 

The game got off to a fast start as both teams tried to establish their game plans early, but it was the Blackhawks that got on the board first. After a lengthy possession in the offensive zone, Patrick Kane feathered a pass across the ice to Brandon Saad, who fired a shot off of Jonathan Quick’s arm and into the cage to give Chicago a 1-0 lead about five minutes into the game.

The Blackhawks continued to press the issue on offense after that goal, but they were unable to light the lamp again. Duncan Keith had a great chance from the slot, but his shot skips wide. Ben Smith also had a chance that he deflected just wide, and he collected his own rebound and put another shot on net, but Quick smothered the opportunity.

The constant pressure on Chicago’s side of the ice finally paid off as they got a power play goal a few minutes later. Brent Seabrook received a pass at the blue line after Kane got into the zone, and when Seabrook’s shot was deflected by Kane to the middle of the ice, Jonathan Toews was there to tap in the loose puck and putting Chicago up by a 2-0 score.

After those two goals, it seemed as though the Kings finally got their skates underneath them a bit, and they began to pepper Corey Crawford with shots. Tyler Toffoli fired a shot off the post after Johnny Oduya lost the puck in his skates, but the Kings’ forward rebounded nicely by picking up the primary assist on a Jeff Carter goal a few moments later. When Toffoli’s shot bounced into the air off of Crawford, Carter batted it into the goal, and when video review upheld the play, the Kings only trailed by a 2-1 margin.

In the blink of an eye, the Kings tied things up. This time it was Justin Williams doing the damage, as he collected the rebound on a shot that bounced off of Michal Rozsival in front, and he fired a snap shot past Crawford to tie things up at 2-2.

Just 12 seconds later, the Kings turned the puck over in the neutral zone, and the Blackhawks took the lead right back. Patrick Sharp carried the puck into the offensive zone, and when he put a shot toward the goal from the face-off circle, it bounced over Quick’s leg pad and into the net to give Chicago a 3-2 lead heading into the first intermission.

The Blackhawks got off to a dominant start in the period, preventing the Kings from getting a single shot on goal in the first seven minutes of the frame. The Hawks had some good possessions over that stretch, but they were unable to add onto their lead, and it ended up costing them.

About halfway through the period, the Kings established some good possession in the offensive zone, and when Dwight King’s shot toward the net was deflected by Michal Handzus, Toffoli picked it up and deposited it into the empty net to make it a 3-3 game.

As the period wore on, both teams had power play opportunities, but neither could convert. The Blackhawks had a good chance on a Keith shot from the point, but Quick was able to make the save and smother the puck to keep the game tied up. Kane also made a key play during a 4-on-4 stretch when Mike Richards tried to jump out on a breakaway, backchecking the puck carrier and forcing an awkward shot that didn’t find its way on net.

The Blackhawks got another power play late in the period, and this time they were able to convert. With Jake Muzzin screening Quick, Sharp got the puck near the blue line and fired a slap shot just inside the near post to give the Hawks a 4-3 lead after two periods.

The third period got started with both teams picking up quality chances, but the goaltenders and defenses stepped up in a big way. Crawford made a key save on Tanner Pearson on the rush to keep his team ahead, and Quick returned the favor at the other end by stoning a chance by Marcus Kruger. Alec Martinez also made a good play to break up a cross-ice pass on a 2-on-1 rush by Chicago, knocking Bryan Bickell's pass away. 

Finally, the Kings ended up breaking through with a goal with a little over seven minutes remaining in regulation. On a 3-on-2 rush, Dustin Brown fired a high shot that Crawford was able to stop, but the puck bounced right to Marian Gaborik, who calmly deposited the rebound into the net to tie things up at 4-4. 

Just before the end of regulation, the Hawks got a couple more good chances, but Quick made his biggest save of the game to force overtime. Andrew Shaw fired in a shot from the slot that Quick stopped, and he had to smother the rebound quickly before Kane could get at the loose puck. 

As the overtime got underway, both teams got their fair share of chances, but just under six minutes in, it was the Kings that ended up triumphing. Williams got the puck in the middle of the zone, and when his shot deflected off of Martinez's stick and Chicago defenseman Nick Leddy, it popped up over Crawford's shoulder and into the back of the net to send the Kings back to the Cup Final for the second time in three seasons. 

The Stanley Cup Final will begin on Wednesday night in Los Angeles as the Kings take on the New York Rangers. The game can be seen on NBC. 

Photo Credit: Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

Emergency Drill Held at Buckland Hills Mall


First responders are holding an emergency drill at the Shoppes at Buckland Hills in Manchester Sunday evening.

Manchester police Capt. Christoper Davis said police, mall security and other law enforcement agencies would be participating in an emergency training session after the mall closed at 6:30 p.m.

Police set up a staging area on the north side of the mall near Sears. Fire and EMS crews also paticipated in the drill.

The details of the drill were not made public. Mall officials said they received minimal information about what would happen so emergency responders could make the drill as realistic as possible.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live