Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Man Seen Slinging Marbles at Cops


A 37-year-old Santa Ana man was arrested Thursday night for slinging glass marbles at Santa Ana Police officers with a slingshot.

Hector Luis Perez (below) did not successfully hit any of the officers, but police say one marble struck the back of a unit and caused it to shatter.

Officers sent Orange County Sheriff’s Air support "DUKE" to the area where the man was slinging marbles and after reviewing the in-flight surveillance system, were able to identify the man behind the marble slinging.

Perez faces charges of vandalism and assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer.



Hartford School System Terminates FUSE Partnership


The Hartford school system has terminated a partnership with the Family Urban Schools of Excellence following the termination following the termination of FUSE CEO Michael Sharpe.

According to a press release from Hartford Public Schools, they entered a memorandum of understanding in 2012 with FUSE that gave the charter organization management control over the Milner Elementary School. It was a three-year contract.

The arrangement was intended to raise student achievement and approved by the State Department of Education Commissioner’s Network. The Commissioner’s Network provides funding for under-performing schools to undergo three to five year improvement plans.

The release stated that Hartford Public Schools had been discussing the gradual return of local control over Milner over the course of the 2014-2015 school year, the last year of the contract. Instead, officials say they are terminating contract and returning Milner to the public school system on July 1.

Hartford School Board Chairman Richard Wareing said over email that Hartford had planned to return Milner to local control for several months, long before Michael Sharpe’s resignation. They had been negotiating with FUSE to bring Milner back under local control in the contract's third year, with FUSE performing limited services.

“We have an excellent principal in Karen Lott, a dedicated and capable staff, and a great external partner in Catholic Charities. We are looking forward to next year,” he said.

Wareing said recent questions about Sharpe’s background prompted Hartford Public School officials to expedite the process.

There are concerns about Sharpe's educational background after it was discovered he never completed a doctorate. The FUSE website lists "Dr. Michael Sharp" as a graduate of Columbia University, Norwich University, and New York University.


"Zombie" Sea Stars Found in Cali.


A mysterious disease deforming and killing sea stars along the West Coast, causing their limbs to dissolve, has reached the waters off San Diego’s coastline.

The condition is called a number of things, including “melting disease” and “sea star wasting syndrome. The animals typically produce lesions causing their limbs to fall off and dissolve.

The impacted creatures have also been referred to as "zombie sea stars."

“You would see a trail of arms and [think] 'Oh, this is going to lead me somewhere bad,' and then you keep following the arms. Sure enough there's this zombie sea star,” said UCSB research diver Sarah Sampson who is currently working in the North County. “You see the arms crawling away.”

Sampson says there are about 11 species of sea stars in the San Diego area and she hasn’t seen about 75 percent of them since last October.

Similar die-offs have occurred before in the 1970s and 1980s but never at this magnitude and across such an widespread region.

According UC Santa Cruz researchers, since April the number of cases increased dramatically in areas including Carlsbad, La Jolla, Mission Bay and Point Loma.

“In a matter of a day or few days it can go from a lesion to taking the whole star and it just falls apart,” said UCSB research ecologist Steve Schroeter who is based in Carlsbad.

Shroeter is worried about the possible longterm impact of these dying sea stars.

“They’re a very import part of the ecosystem and you get rid of predators and the community is going to change in some ways we know, some we don't,” he told NBC 7.

More sea stars are expected to die off in the coming months. Still, Sampson said she has also seen baby sea stars in local waters, which is evidence of at least some recovery. However, what remains unknown, is whether this new generation of sea stars can survive the mysterious disease.



Photo Credit: NBC 7 San Diego

Big Names On Leaderboard for Final Round of Travelers


There will be some very familiar names in the final pairings on Sunday at the Travelers Championship.

Ryan Moore took the 54-hole lead on Saturday, shooting a 66 and sits at 13-under par for the tournament.  He is one stroke ahead of Aaron Baddeley.  Sergio Garcia, K.J. Choi, Scott Langley and Michael Putnam are at 11-under par.

Moore said he has not over-thought his swing or his approach this week. Though he said he hasn't felt great with his swing in Cromwell, he is encouraged by the end of Round 3.

"My last two holes, I made four just great swings in a row, so I'm very encouraged about tomorrow, just based on how good I hit my last four shots of the day, probably the best ones of the day," Moore said after his round.

Baddeley shot a 65 on Saturday to give himself a chance going into Sunday.

Garcia has played his best golf this week on the back 9 of the TPC at River Highlands in Cromwell.

"I was able to make some good things on the back 9, hit it close to some of the holes and convert them with putts, so I was very happy with that," Garcia said.

Eight players are sitting at 9-under par, including Nick Watney, Chad Campbell and Bud Cauley.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Local Dog Diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever


A service dog in Marlborough is recovering after a brush with a disease not usually seen in Connecticut.

Cassandra Hamilton rushed her four-year-old Newfoundland, Joy, to the vet when she noticed the dog having trouble walking.

“She was dragging her hind end. She couldn't use either leg. She was paralyzed.” Hamilton said.

Hamilton took Joy to four vets, and asked each of them to test for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, a tick transmitted disease. The fourth vet she went to did the test, and immediately prescribed doxycycline.

According to Dr. Steve Levy, program coordinator of the veterinary technology program at Middlesex Community College, RMSF is rare in the Northeast. It is spread by the American dog tick. He said most vets in the region will test for other things first, like Lyme disease.

Levy said there is no quick test for RMSF, and it won’t show up in a blood test for three weeks. But leaving it untreated for those three weeks can be fatal, so if there is any suspicion of the disease, doctors treat right away.

According to the CDC the majority of RMSF cases occur in states like North Carolina, Oklahoma and Tennessee. The disease can affect humans as well as dogs. The symptoms for humans include fever, headache, abdominal pain, vomiting and muscle pain. For dogs it can be stiffness, lameness, lack of appetite, fever and fatigue. In both, if not treated in time the disease can cause internal organ and neurological damage, or even death.

Hamilton’s persistence proved prudent - Joy was treated within days and her test results later came back positive. But Hamilton worries the delay in treatment might lead to permanent damage.

“She's walking but she's not completely sound and we don't know if this is permanent neurological damage or not,” Hamilton said.

For now Hamilton says she's just glad she pushed for the test.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

One Dead Following Southington Apartment Fire


 Southington Police are investigating a fatal early morning apartment fire.

Police say crews responded to call for a fire on Darling St. around 4:30a.m.

Police are not releasing the identity of the victim at this time.

According to the fire department on scene, the fire ripped through 32A Darling St., but was contained to just that apartment.

The apartment was occupied by a male and his aunt at the time of the fire. Both made it out safely.

The Bristol Fire Department assisted on scene because of the size of the building that needed to be searched.

Officials say there is significant damage to the apartment. The state fire marshal has been called in to assist the investigation.The cause of the fire is unknown.


Accident Damages Three Utility Poles, Driver Arrested for DUI


A women is under arrest after crashing her car into multiple utility poles in West Hartford then parking on the front lawn of a Hartford home.

Police responded to Albany Ave at Steele St. in West Hartford  just before 10 p.m. on Saturday night.

A Nissan XTerra had crashed into three utility poles and knocked out power to homes around the intersection.

The traffic lights and street lights also lost power.

The driver fled the scene and was later apprehended on Chatham St. in Hartford after her car was seen parked on a lawn there.

The driver, Sheranda Pender, 38 of West Hartford, was trying to smash the door down and gain entry into the home.

Pender was arrested for DWI. Her blood alcohol concentration was .15, nearly double the legal limit.

Pender is being held on a $10,000 bond. She was not injured in the crash.




Man Arrested in Family Stabbing


A 34-year-old man was arrested after stabbing three of his family members at a home in Whittier, Los Angeles Country, on Saturday night, authorities said.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies responded to a call regarding a family disturbance and an assault with a deadly weapon about 8:30 p.m. at a home near Mills Avenue and Mystic Street.

When deputies arrived, the alleged attacker was outside, but ran to a backyard and barricaded himself in a shed and refused to come out, officials said.

Inside the home, three family members – all adults - were found with stab wounds.

Investigators later learned that the suspect, identified by authorities as Alexander Michael, allegedly began stabbing his father several times. When his sister and mother tried to stop him, he allegedly stabbed them too.

They were taken to the hospital with what officials described as non-life-threatening injuries.

The SWAT team responded to the scene. Michael was arrested about 10:40 p.m. without incident, officials said.

Michael was charged with attempted murder and assaulty with a deadly weapon . He was being held on $1 million bail.

Some residents were unable to return to their homes as deputies conducted an investigation.

Kevin Streelman Wins 2014 Travelers Championship


Kevin Streelman birdied the last seven holes to win the Travelers Championship by a stroke Sunday at TPC River Highlands.

Streelman shot his second straight 6-under 64 to finish at 15-under 265. He broke the tour record for consecutive closing birdies by a winner of six set by Mike Souchak in the 1956 St. Paul Open.

The 35-year-old Streelman also won the Tampa Bay Championship last season. He missed the cuts in his previous four starts on tour.

"I didn't have too many expectations coming here," Streelman said.

Sergio Garcia and K.J. Choi tied for second. They each shot 67.

Aaron Baddeley was fourth at 13 under after a 69.

Streelman was 1 over for the day before starting the birdie run on No. 12. The streak reached five with a 37-foot putt at No. 16, and he capped it by hitting a wedge to 9 feet and rolling in another putt at No. 18.

Streelman said he hasn't focus on golf exclusively lately, trying to spend more time with wife Courtney and 6-month-old daughter Sophie.

"I was thinking about her (Sophie) on those last couple of putts. I was thinking, 'You know what? If these go in, great. If not, great. She's going to love me either way and we have a nice family vacation coming up either way,'" Streelman said.

Garcia has six top-10 finishes in 10 PGA Tour starts this season, and won the European Tour's Qatar Masters in January.

"At the end of the day he played really, really well," Garcia said about Streelman. "I feel like I played quite nicely and it just wasn't my time."

For the sixth straight year at the Travelers the player who held the 54-hole lead was unable to win. Ryan Moore was one stroke ahead after three rounds, but closed with a 71 to tie for fifth at 12 under.

Second-round leader Scott Langley birdied his first three holes and briefly pulled into the lead at 14 under. He, too, finished with a 71 to tie for 11th at 10 under.

Miguel Angel Carballo became the second player to make three eagles in a round on the PGA Tour this season as part of a 63 early Saturday. He finished at 9 under.

Patrick Rodgers, the former Stanford star making his pro debut, shot a 70 to tie for 46th at 4 under.

Ken Duke, the winner last year, had a 68 to also finish at 4 under.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

5 Dead, 19 Wounded in Chicago


A 15-year-old boy was among five people killed in weekend violence in Chicago and one of at least 24 shot since Friday afternoon.

Police said the teen was standing on a corner around 10 p.m. Saturday with a 16-year-old boy when a group of offenders exited a vehicle and opened fire at them.

The 15-year-old boy was shot in the head and pronounced dead at the scene. The 16-year-old boy was shot in the shoulder and taken to Roseland Community Hospital in stable condition, according to authorities.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office confirmed the death of the teen but was not releasing his identity.

Earlier Saturday, a 23-year-old man was fatally shot in the chest when someone opened fire at a group of people around 5 p.m. in the 11100 block of South Homewood Avenue.

The group heard shots and people fled in several directions, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan.

The man was found on the ground and pronounced dead at Advocate Christ Medical Center, police said.

Just after 3 a.m. Sunday, a 23-year-old man was found with multiple gunshot wounds to his body in the 7200 block of South Wentworth Avenue, police said.

He was pronounced dead at the scene, Sullivan said.

Also Sunday, officials responding to a report of a “man down” found a man unresponsive in the 11100 block of South Lowe Avenue.

The man, whose age and identity were not immediately known, was found with a gunshot wound to the chest just before 7:45 a.m. and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Around 7:30 p.m. Sunday, two people were shot near 55th Street and Lake Shore Drive, across the street from a city beach. 

The Chicago Fire Department said a 30-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene and a 42-year-old man was taken in stable condition to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County.

Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available. 

At least eight others were shot Saturday evening and into Sunday.

  • Just before 4 p.m. Sunday, two people were shot in the 2400 block of East 75th Street. police said a 47-year-old man was taken to Northwestern Hospital in stable condition and a 42-year-old man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center for treatment. It was not immediately clear what caused the shooting, police said.
  • Around 12:30 p.m., police said a 34-year-old man was found with multiple gunshot wounds to his body in the 6800 block of South Talman Avenue. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
  • Around 7:10 a.m. Sunday, a man in his 30s was shot in the leg in the 900 block of North Parkside Avenue in the city’s Austin neighborhood. He was listed in stable condition at Mount Sinai Hospital, police said.
  • At 1 a.m., a 14-year-old boy was shot near 115th Street and Parnell Avenue in the West Pullman neighborhood. The young teen suffered a wound to his foot and was taken to Roseland Community Hospital where his condition was stabilized.
  • Just after 10:30 p.m. a 55-year-old man was shot in the Fuller Park neighborhood. The man was in the 300 block of West 42nd Place when a white minivan pulled up and several men exited the vehicle and opened fire. The man was listed in serious condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County with multiple gunshot wounds.
  • Around 6:30 p.m. Saturday, a 22-year-old man was shot in a possible drive-by shooting near Lawrence and Avers avenues. The man was in the 4700 block of North Avers Avenue when he was shot in the face, police said. He transported himself to Swedish Covenant Hospital and was later transferred to St. Francis Hospital.
  • Just after 6 p.m., a store clerk was shot during a robbery in Logan Square, police said. The shooting took place in the 2600 block of North Kedzie Avenue. A 25-year-old man working in the store was shot in the leg and taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in good condition. The offender removed cash from the store and fled the scene, police said.

Nine others have been shot since Friday.

Man Dies Attending EDC in Vegas


A San Leandro, California, man died in Las Vegas Saturday after he was rushed to the hospital after attending a popular music festival.

The coroners office said 24-year-old Montgomery Tsang died early in the morning after attending the Electronic Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas.

Authorities said he suffered a medical episode but did not give further details. According to the Las Vegas Sun, intial reports suggested Tsang collapsed in the Las Vegas Motor Speedway parking lot.

Hundreds of thousands of people are attending the three-day event billed as the "largest multi-day concert in North America."

Some people who attended the festival said with so many people there, a tragedy like this is inevitable.

EDC released a statement, which in part read:

"Today we learned some very tragic news, that after attending the festival a guest of the show has passed away. We are deeply saddened by this news, and hope that everyone will join us in keeping his family and friends in their thoughts during this very difficult time."

When contacted by NBC Bay Area on Saturday, Tsang's family declined comment. According to an online social networking site, it appears that Tsang worked at the Golden Tee Golfland in Castro Valley.

MyNews3.com in Las Vegas reported that EDC has a medical staff of around 70, including nurses, doctors and paramedics.

The site reported that 29 narcotics-related arrests were made at the festival from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday. A record crowd of 134,000 people showed up on the second night of the festival. Authoroties responded to 249 mostly minor medical calls with five people being taken to area hospitals, the site reported.

Tsang's death is the first since the festival moved to Las Vegas. Details of his death are still under investigation.

In 2010, a 15-year-old girl died from a drug overdose at the festival when it was held in Los Angeles.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Teen Charged With DUI


A 19-year-old man has been charged after he allegedly drove drunk and crashed in a construction site in Chicago Saturday, killing a worker and injuring two other people in the vehicle he was driving.

Erick Lopez, of the 3700 block of West 83rd Place, was charged with felony reckless homicide in a construction zone, aggravated DUI resulting in an accidental death, misdemeanor having no car insurance, failure to carry or display a driver’s license, improper lane usage and failure to reduce speed.

Police said the crash occurred around 4:18 a.m. in the 4900 block of South Wester Avenue on the city's Southwest Side.

Prosecutors allege Lopez's blood alcohol content was measured at 0.191-- more than twice the legal limit, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Jose Tafoya, of the 1000 block of West 57th Avenue in Merrillville, Ind. was pronouned dead at the scene at 5:45 a.m. Saturday, the Cook Count Medical Examiner's office said.

Three people inside the car, including the driver, were injured.

Two were taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County and another was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital.

Family members said Tafoya, who is from Mexico, moved to Indiana in 2010. He has four children and two young grandchildren.

"He was a very hard working and responsible man," said his nephew Luis Paz. "He was always with his family. I don't know why this happened. He had a lot of dreams."

They plan to bury him in Guanajuato, Mexico, where his 91-year-old mother still lives.

Lopez was reportedly denied bail Sunday, but did not appear in court because he remains hospitalized.

8 People Shot in Philly


It was a violent Saturday night in Philadelphia with at least 8 shootings in a 3-hour time span. Two people are dead, including a 16-year-old. The shootings took place between 10:30 p.m. Saturday and 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

At 11:15 p.m., a large crowd of 300 people formed at a barbecue in the 700 block of Montgomery Avenue. Philadelphia Police responded to a disturbance call at the party. A double shooting took place at the gathering and a 16-year-old was shot and killed. A 19-year-old was also shot multiple times and is in critical condition.

As the 24th district police SUV pulled up to the scene, the vehicle was hit by a bullet on the passenger side. The window shattered, but there was no injury to officers.

In separate shootings in the Olney section of the city, two men were shot within 10 minutes of each other. A man was riding his bike in the 5500 block of American Street when he was shot twice at 11:20 p.m.. He's in critical condition at Einstein Hospital.

At 11:30 p.m., at the other end of the block at American Street and W. Olney Avenue, a male was shot multiple times within just 10 minutes of the first shooting. He is in stable condition at Einstein Hospital.

Philadelphia Police do not know if those two shootings are related.

A man was shot once near 1300 N. McKinley Street and Oxford Circle at 11:40 p.m. This shooting victim is in stable condition. 

The first shooting of the night took place at 10:30 p.m. A 33-year-old man was shot in the foot in the 4600 block fo N. Marvine Street in the Logan section of the city. The victim is in stable condition.

The last shooting took place at 1:30 a.m. outside the Galaxy Lounge at 3348 Germantown Avenue in North Philadelphia. A 24-year-old man was shot multiple times and died. Police were called to the scene where a large crowd had formed. The victim was pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital. A few people were taken into custody in this shooting, but no arrests were made.

There are no motives nor arrests in any of the shootings.

Machete Attack Leaves Man Critical


A violent machete attack in Medley, Florida, has left one man critically injured.

The brawl involving as many as six people took place Saturday afternoon outside a restaurant located on NW 115th Way and South River Drive. It appears that one victim was attacked with a machete. That man was airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center in critical condition.

Officers say shots were also fired at some point during the fight, but it is not clear if anyone was hit. Police are currently looking for the other five people involved in the fight, who fled in an orange Hummer and two silver sedans.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS.

Dog of Missing Firefighter Found


Authorities have found the dog belonging to missing firefighter Mike Herdman Sunday, officials said.

The breakthrough comes seven days after the search in the Los Padres National Forest began.

Officials said there was still no sign of Herdman. During a news conference Sunday, authorities said they would scale back search efforts after combing through a 50-square mile radius without finding Herdman.

Much of the search focused on finding Duke, who had been spotted twice in the past week. Authorities set a caged trap to capture Duke on Friday.

Good Samaritans found Duke around noon in a parking lot Sunday where the missing person's vehicle had been parked, said Sgt. Kevin Donoghue of the Ventura County Sheriff's Office.

Herdman, 36, disappeared last Friday during a camping trip in the forest near Fillmore with a friend and fellow firefighter. Duke ran away from the campsite and Herdman chased after him, barefoot and wearing just a t-shirt and shorts.

He was reported missing Sunday night when his friend emerged from the forest and contacted authorities.

Eighty-six search and rescue volunteers were were looking for Herdman on Saturday - the largest group so far. Two manned flight crews and two drones were used to search the rugged terrain.

Several Southern California sheriff’s departments and a team of special agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are also involved.

Photo Credit: Facebook/Arcadia Firefighters' Association (AFFA) IAFF Local 3440

Deputy Fired After Drunken Joy Ride


A Broward Sheriff's Deputy was fired after letting his friend use his patrol car speaker to heckle people on the streets of downtown Fort Lauderdale, reported the Sun Sentinel.

Deputy Rodrigo Mello, 33, was off-duty and behind the wheel of his marked patrol car on the night of August 11, 2013, when he took two drunk friends on a joy ride and gave one of them access to the P.A. system, according to the Sentinel.

The newspaper reported 911 calls started coming in around 2:30 a.m. to report the police cruiser's activities. One caller reported that the men inside the car were "saying extremely lewd and really stupid things over the P.A." A hot dog vendor reported being heckled by the men in the car, and said they were also catcalling women on the street.

Mello was a deputy for nearly a decade when he was fired as a result of the incident, according to the Sentinel. He was terminated back in January, and is trying to get his job back, the newspaper reported.

"It was stupid as could be and I look back at it now and it's absolutely ridiculous," Mello said in a sworn statement obtained by the Sentinel. "It was the stupidest decision I ever made in my life."

NBC 6 reached out to the BSO Public Information Office for comment, but has not yet received a response.



Photo Credit: Shutterstock

WATCH: Great White Shark Off NJ


When a shark emerged from the water with an open mouth and triangular 2-inch teeth, fisherman Steve Clark of Avalon knew he was having a close encouter with a great white shark. The chance meeting, he says, happened about 5 p.m. Saturday at 28-Mile Wreck, the site of a World War II shipwreck off of Cape May.

"He is gorgeous or she. It could be a she. Watch out. He could come out. Get back. Get back. You guys are nuts," said a voice on a YouTube video. "Don't get close. It will come up. It will come after us."

Clark's team of fisherman spotted the 16-foot great white shark swimming around their 35 foot boat.

The shark swam around the vessel for about 20 minutes before eating the entire chum basket carrying fish. The basket was hanging off the side of the boat and drifted off in the shark's mouth. Members of the crew took photos and videos as the shark swam near the boat.

Steve Clark and his fishermen friends fish in a private boat they dubbed the 35 Everglades. They work with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). They tag sharks in the ocean off the New Jersey coast as part of a cooperative program called the Apex Predator Program.

A recent study conducted by the NOAA says that great white shark numbers have increased since 2000 due to conservation efforts.  

"The species appears to be recovering," said Cami McCandless, one of the authors. "This tells us the management tools appear to be working."

Such a great white shark sighting is not that uncommon this time of year, according to Clark. He says he usually sees one great white shark every year and is able to differentiate between sharks due to the great white's teeth.

Earlier in the day, the crew caught and released a dusky shark that weighed 150-pounds. Shortly after that, they saw another shark and relocated their boat two miles away when the great white came upon their boat.

The day was pretty slow, but seeing the shark was a "big bonus," said Clark. Who described the experience as nerve-wracking once the shark started pulling on the chum basket.

Contact Sarah Glover at 610-668-5580, sarah.glover@nbcuni.com or follow @skyphoto on Twitter.

2nd Teen Rescued From NY River Dies


The second of two teenage cousins who jumped into the Bronx River Friday afternoon and were pulled out by rescuers has died, hospital officials said Sunday.

Wellington Gabin, 13, had been on life support in critical condition at Montefiore Medical Center since the rescue. His cousin, Erickson Villa, also 13, died Friday.

Wellington was pulled from the water near E. 172nd Street after 3 p.m. and Erickson was pulled from the water after 4 p.m.

Witnesses said the teens were part of a larger group of children at Starlight Park who decided to go into the water.

Wellington's family members say he didn't know how to swim and that Erickson jumped in to save him.

"When he jump, he thought he can swim," said Kennedy Pacheco, Wellington's cousin. "He never swim before. He don't know how to swim. So he was already deep in the water."

The two struggled to stay afloat, and their friends took to safety and rushed to call 911.

Richard Ferrano said he was playing baseball nearby when the victims' friends ran to him.

"They were saying their friends jumped in the water, two kids, and they were drowning," he said. "So we came over here -- at first there was nothing -- and they called NYPD, and everyone started jumping in the water to look for the kids."

Fire officials said rescuers were able to pinpoint the area where the teens went under and quickly recovered the first victim. It took rescuers an hour-and-a-half to find Erickson because of poor visibility in the water. 

Manchester Crash Victims Identified


 Manchester Police have identified the victims of a crash on Thursday that left one dead and one in critical condition.

According to police, 26-year-old Aqwan Huff was killed when the Nissan Maxima he was driving struck a pole at the corner of East Center St. and Holl St at 8:30 Thursday night. He was pronounced dead on scene.

His passenger, 23-year-old Shelton Johnson, was transported to Hartford Hospital and later flown by Life Star to Bridgeport Burn Center where he remains in critical condition.

Police say it appears that speed or driver impairment may have been factors in the crash.

Anyone with information or who may have witnessed the accident is encouraged to call Ofc. Jason Moss at 860-645-5560. 


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Woman Arrested for Assaulting 65-Year-Old


Bristol Police have arrested a woman for breaking into a home and attacking a 65-year-old resident.

Police responded to a call of a disturbance at 197 Davis Drive Sunday night. They say Candace Morehouse, 45, of Bristol, illegally entered the home, damaged property and attacked the resident. The victim was injured but did not need a transport to the hospital.

Morehouse is charged with burglary in the second degree, assault on a victim 60 or older, disorderly conduct and criminal mischief.

According to police Morehouse was acquainted with the victim.

Police said this incident seems to be unrelated to a recent  string of burglaries in the area. In those incidents, intruders cut or removed window screens and burglarized homes while the residents were sleeping.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live