Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Missing CA Firefighter's Body Found


The body of missing Arcadia firefighter Mike Herdman was found, officials said Friday.

The body was found less than a mile from where he was last seen Friday, June 13 on a cliff above the Sespe River in rugged terrain of the Los Padres National Forest, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said.

Herdman's body was discovered at 10 a.m. Friday by a pilot flying overhead as part of the search team. The body lay over terrain and was partially covered by brush.

There were no signs of foul play, Dean said.

"Our sympathies and hearts go out to Mike Herdman’s family, the public and the fellow firefighters at the Arcadia Fire Department," Dean said during an afternoon press conference.

Officials identified the remains through dental records. A cause of death would be determined by the medical examiner following an autopsy.

Investigators theorized that Herdman had fallen off a cliff at night, but they weren't sure.

"He’s probably the only one that can answer those questions about why’d he'd go so far in the middle of the night like that," he said.

The mood at the Arcadia Fire Department was somber where officials have set up a web page for donations.

"We're glad that he was found, but at the same time we're sad that we lost a family member," said Arcadia Fire Chief Kurt Norwood.

Herdman, 36, disappeared Friday, June 13 during a camping trip in the Los Padres National Forest near Fillmore with a friend and fellow firefighter.

His dog, Duke, ran away from the campsite and Herdman chased after him, barefoot and wearing just a T-shirt and shorts.

He was reported missing when his friend emerged from the forest and contacted authorities.

Duke was found June 23 in a parking lot where Herdman's car had been parked. Much of the search focused on finding Duke, who had been spotted twice in a week.

Authorities combed through a 50-square mile radius in the Los Padres National Forest. At one point as many as 86 search and rescue volunteers had been looking for Herdman. Two manned flight crews and two drones were used to search the rugged terrain.

Several Southern California sheriff’s departments and a team of special agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are also involved.

Officials said that Herdman was an outdoors enthusiast with experience backpacking in the backcountry..

NBC4's Beverly White and Rosa Ordaz contributed to this report.

Witness Tackles Bridgeport Robber: Police


Police have arrested the man suspected of robbing two Bridgeport businesses after a witness saw him running from the scene, chased him down and tackled him, according to police.

Juan Carlos Velasco, 31, is accused of robbing a Subway restaurant at 1552 Wood Avenue on June 19, then stealing from Mi Pueblo Restaurant at 3837 Main Street on Thursday.

Police said he walked into Mi Pueblo with a bandana covering his face and pointed his hand, which was covered with a sock, to indicate that he had a gun. A worker turned over an undisclosed amount of money and Velasco left the store.

A witness and bystander reportedly chased Velasco as fled the scene on a bicycle, removing his disguise and throwing down the money. Police said Velasco hit a rock and fell from his bike. He tried to run away but a witness caught him.

Police took him into custody and Velasco ultimately admitted to the crimes. Police say he was wearing the same sneakers and pants in both robberies.

He’s charged with first-degree robbery.

Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police Department

Tree-Trimming Contracts Terminated After Accidents


In the wake of two serious on-the-job accidents in Connecticut, Northeast Utilities has canceled all its New England contracts with Trees, Incorporated, the company whose workers were injured and killed.

It comes less than a week after an Amtrak train collided with a tree-trimming truck and wood chipper in Berlin, injuring five people. The Trees, Inc. crew was reportedly trying to turn around but a locked gate stranded them on the tracks in the path of the oncoming passenger train.

About 10 days earlier, a Trees, Inc. worker was killed while cutting trees for Connecticut Light & Power in Meriden.

“We have canceled our contract with Trees, Incorporated and they are no longer working on our system,” said CL&P spokesman Mitch Gross. This includes all Northeast Utilities contracts in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Trees, Inc. had not returned a request for comment at the time of publication.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Airlifted to Hospital After Rollover Crash on I-91 in Meriden


Police are investigating the rollover crash that shut down Interstate 91 in Meriden on Friday while LifeStar responded to airlift the driver.

According to police, 39-year-old Warren Carlone, of East Hampton, was driving in the center lane on I-91 north near exit 16 when he lost control of his truck and veered to the right.

The truck rolled over on the shoulder and went down a gully bythe Murdock Avenue overpass, fire officials said. Carlone was trapped inside.

LifeStar responded to the scene and landed on the highway to transport Carlone to the hospital. The highway was shut down in both directions while the helicopter landed.

A medical evaluation revealed that Carlone's injuries are not life threatening, police said.

Traffic was heavily backed up after the crash and divers cut across the highway median to turn around.

Authorities are investigating to determine the cause of the crash.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hamden Fine Arts Director Drowns at Stratford Beach


The woman whose body was found washed ashore at Stratford's Short Beach Park on Friday has been identified as 40-year-old Amy Golda, the Director of Fine Arts for Hamden Public Schools.

"We are all saddened by the sudden tragedy," said Chris Melillo, interim superintendent of Hamden Public Schools. "She was a valued member of our community and we send our condolences to the Golda family. We will continue to support the family and community."

State police issued a Silver Alert for Golda earlier Friday but canceled it after her body was identified. It's not clear how she ended up in the water and how long she was there.

"A body washed up on the shore just into the sound there," said Michelle Boyce, of Beacon Falls, who had just gotten to the beach with her family when Golda was found. "[It] looked to be a woman. I think she'd been in the water for a while."

Stratford authorities are investigating and say Golda appears to have drowned. The medical examiner is working to determine an official cause of death.

"It was mysterious and you do'nt know what the circumstances were about her drowning, so we stayed out of the water a long time because we weren't sure," Boyce said.

Golda was last seen wearing jean shorts, sandals and a gray V-neck shirt. Police say she left her home Friday morning.

According to beachgoers, Golda was fully clothed when emergency responders pulled her from the water.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com/Connecticut State Police

Video Shows Woman Being Violently Beaten in Brooklyn


A video posted online shows a group of young people approaching and beating up a woman sitting on a bench in Brooklyn.

The video, which was posted on Facebook on Friday, shows a group of young people--possibly teenagers--approaching a woman in Windsor Terrace and savagely beating her.

The violence was filmed by onlookers. No one shown in the clip tries to help the woman.

Police say they are investigating the assault, which investigators believe happened recently, but there's no word on whether anyone has been questioned.

Man Arrested for Threatening Cops


A Queens man is facing charges for allegedly threatening to blow up several police precincts.
Police say 30-year-old Richard Bolton called Nassau County 9-1-1 and claimed he had a bomb strapped to his body and that he was going to blow up an NYPD precinct and several other precincts on Long Island.
Police say Bolton claimed he was upset over being written up for a summons.

He was arrested and charged with making a terrorist threat.

Bolton pled not guilty in a court appearance Saturday.

16 Shot in Chicago Overnight


A teenage boy was shot Friday outside Rev. Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow PUSH headquarters and near President Barack Obama’s Chicago home. He was one of 16 people shot across the city in less than 12 hours.

Police say the 17-year-old was walking in the 4900 block of South Drexel Boulevard at about 7:30 p.m. when someone fired shots from a minivan, hitting the teen in the back.

The teen, who police say is a "documented gang member," was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in stable condition.

A town hall meeting was underway at Rainbow PUSH when the shooting occurred, and Jackson ran outside to find him lying on the ground.

“I had to leave before the meeting was over to come across the street,” he said. “A young man had just been shot and was still lying down.”

The shooting comes amid the coalition’s 43rd Annual International Convention dubbed “a quest for equality and peace.”

President Barack Obama’s home is just two blocks away from where the shooting occurred.

A little more than an hour earlier, two people were shot in the 8000 block of South Paulina Street. A 42-year-old man was shot in the arm and leg and was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition and a 40-year-old woman was shot in the ankle and taken to Holy Cross Hospital in stable condition.

Around 8:40 p.m. an 18-year-old man was shot in the ankle while walking in the 6500 block of South Stony Island Avenue. The teen, who police said was being uncooperative, told officers he heard shots and felt pain. He transported himself to Jackson Park Hospital in good condition.

About an hour later, a 22-year-old man was shot in the leg and foot. Police did not immediately have details surrounding the shooting but said the man, a documented gang member, was shot in the 2400 block of East 99th Street and was taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital in good condition.

Around 11 p.m. Friday, three people were shot in the 0-100 block of East 102nd Place, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Janel Sedevic.

A 23-year-old man suffered a graze wound to the neck but refused medical treatment, police said. A 23-year-old man was shot in the foot and a 19-year-old man suffered a graze wound to the foot. Both were taken to Roseland Community Hospital for treatment.

Police said an offender approached the group and fired roughly five shots at them before fleeing on foot.

At the same time, two people were shot near 60th Street and Prairie Avenue.

Police said a 17-year-old boy and a 21-year-old man were standing outside when they heard shots and felt pain.

The teen was shot in the back and taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital and the 21-year-old man suffered a graze wound to the shoulder and was treated and released at Stroger Hospital.

At least six others were shot overnight and into Saturday morning.

  • Around 12:20 a.m., a 24-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to the groin in the 2200 block of South Sawyer, police said. Officials believe the shooting was self-inflicted and said the man was taken in serious condition to St. Anthony Hospital
  • Just after 12:30 a.m., police shot a man during a foot chase in the city’s Austin neighborhood. Officers patrolling the area heard gunshots and observed a vehicle “traveling at a high rate of speed away from the area,” according to a statement from police. The officers were attempting to curb the vehicle when a passenger fled the vehicle and officers followed. During the chase, police said the man produced a weapon and turned toward the officers who then fired at him, shooting him in the leg, according to authorities. The offender was taken to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries, police said.
  • Less than 30 minutes later, a 39-year-old man was shot during an apparent robbery in the 5000 block of West Madison Street. Police said an offender with a handgun demanded money from the man. The victim gave the offender an unknown amount of money and the offender ordered him to lay on the ground. When the victim refused, the offender shot him in the left leg, ran to a nearby car and fled west on Madison, Sedevic said. The victim was listed in good condition at Stroger Hospital.
  • Just after 3 a.m., a man was walking with his girlfriend in the 11900 block of South Yale when he became involved in a confrontation with his ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend, police said. During the argument, the ex-girlfriend’s boyfriend shot the man, 25, in the abdomen and right arm. The man was taken to Roseland Community Hospital in stable condition and no one was in custody as of Saturday morning.
  • Around 4:15 a.m., a 27-year-old man was shot in an apparent drive-by in the 8000 block of South Justine Street. The man suffered wounds to both legs after someone in a passing four-door vehicle opened fire at him. The man was taken in stable condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center, police said.
  • Fifteen minutes later, a 26-year-old man was shot in the Little Village neighborhood. Police said the man was walking with a friend on 24 Street near Pulaski Road when people in a red, four—door vehicle began shouting gang slogans and a man standing outside the vehicle opened fire. The victim was shot in the shoulder and listed in stable condition at Mount Sinai Hospital.


Woman Crashes Into Car, Carjacks it With Teen Inside: Police


A Chicago woman was arrested Saturday after she allegedly crashed into a vehicle, then carjacked it with a 13-year-old boy still inside, police said.

Alan Grudnowski was driving eastbound on Interstate 80 around 5:30 a.m. near mile marker 162 in Illinois when a beige 2006 Chevrolet van crashed into his suburban, according to Indiana State Police.

As Grudnowski exited his vehicle to check on the driver of the van, identified as 32-year-old Larona Green. Green allegedly exited her vehicle, climbed into the suburban and fled eastbound on I-80 toward Indiana.

Grudnowski called police to report that his car had been stolen from the crash scene and was heading into Indiana with his 13-year-old son in the front seat, police said.

The teen had his cell phone and was able to provide landmarks while Green was driving, according to authorities.

Major Jerry Williams was on duty along Interstate 94 and was able to locate and stop the vehicle.

Several police units responded to the scene and Green was taken into custody.

The 13-year-old boy was not injured.

Green was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, possession of a stolen vehicle and criminal confinement. Police report her blood alcohol level was at .119.

Other charges are pending in Illinois and the investigation is ongoing, officials said.

Photo Credit: Porter County Sheriff's Office

2 Rescued After Small Plane Crashes Near Del. River


Two men were rescued after their single engine plane crashed near the Delaware River on Saturday.

The NC Air Traffic Control Tower at the New Castle County Airport reported Saturday, around 10:45 a.m. ET, that it lost contact with a small aircraft.

State Police reported that the plane was located in the Delaware River in a muddy and marshy area between Fort Delaware State Park and Fort Mott State Park, New Jersey. However, SkyForce10 flew over the scene of the crash and showed that the aircraft had landed in a marsh near the water rather than in it.

Officials say two "older men" were spotted in the water near the plane.

A Delaware State Police helicopter arrived at the scene and rescued the two men. According to state police, their injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.

A law enforcement source also told NBC10 that the men were covered in mud but appeared to be "okay." They walked on their own to an ambulance, according to the source.

A Pennsville Police lieutenant told NBC10 that the plane sustained some sort of power failure. The FAA is currently investigating the crash.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Ill. Man Rescued From Cell Tower


An Illinois man, 18, was rescued late Friday night after he climbed a cell tower behind the Northfield Fire Department, and the dramatic rescue was captured on camera.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Tom Burke, area residents went to the fire station and told officials they heard a person in the back of the department’s property on top of a tower pole.

Officials then went to the scene and found someone at the top of a cell tower roughly 110 feet tall.

Burke said fire officials called for more personnel to assist in the rescue and members of the department climbed the tower to help the man down.

“We got up there, we got him and we got him down successfully,” Burke said.

Officials managed to lower the man safely into a tower ladder basket, according to authorities.

He was taken to Highland Park Hospital for treatment following the incident, Burke said. His condition was not immediately known.

The Northfield Police Department is investigating. It is not clear if charges will be filed.

Photo Credit: Captured News/NBC Chicago

New Haven Hosts Gun Buy-Backs


The city of New Haven is hosting the first of two gun buy-backs Saturday.

Until 3 p.m. Saturday, gun owners can turn in their weapons at the New Haven Police Academy Shooting Range at 710 Sherman Parkway.

If you cannot make it Saturday, there is a second gun buy-back event scheduled for Saturday, July 12 from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Radio Amor at 261 Portsea Street in New Haven.

Yale-New Haven Hospital is sponsoring the event.

Photo Credit: NBC 7 San Diego

Hartford Police Investigate Shooting


Hartford police are investigating an overnight shooting in the capital city.

Police were still on scene early morning at 60 Wadsworth Street in Hartford and are interviewing potential witnesses. The incident happened at about 1:40 a.m., police confirmed.

The resident of the apartment was shot once in the groin when he went to check on a knock on his kitchen window and another bullet grazed his chest after someone fired at him from outside, Hartford police confirmed. The man, who police have not identified at this time, was in stable condition as he went into surgery on Saturday, police confirmed.

The department has yet not released information on the identity of the suspect or a description, but confirmed that investigators are searching for a suspect riding in a 2008 Mazda or Nissan, police confirmed.

Hartford police are not releasing further details at this time.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Lanes Close on Route 9 South in Middletown


Some Route 9 South lanes were closed Saturday afternoon in Middletown due to a multiple-vehicle crash.

It happened just before 2:45 p.m. near Exit 15, police confirmed. There were lane closures and traffic backups for over an hour while crews cleaned up. All lanes have since reopened. 

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Teens Hospitalized After Middletown Crash


Two teenagers were transported by ambulance to Hartford Hospital after crashing into a tree off Millbrook Road in Middletown Saturday afternoon, police said.

A 2005 Subaru Impreza headed southbound on Millbrook Road lost control on a curve, veered off the east side of the road and crashed into a tree near 1124 Millbrook Road, police said. Two 19-year-old boys were inside the vehicle.

Middletown police are not releasing information on the teens until their families are notified.

The department's accident reconstruction team is investigating the crash. Police ask witnesses and anyone with information to contact Officer Michael Inglis at 860-638-4063.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Man Accused of Multiple Burglaries Along Shoreline


Clinton Police have arrested a 32-year-old man accused of multiple burglaries along the shoreline.

Anthony Guddo was arrested Friday for a burglary that occurred Nov. 28, 2013 at the Town and Country Market on Glenwood Road in Clinton. Police believe this was the second time Guddo burglarized the business.

According to police, Guddo and 32-year-old Brandy Williamson of New London were involved in multiple commercial and residential burglaries from New London to Guilford. Williamson was arrested on Thursday.

Guddo is charged with two counts of third-degree burglary, conspiracy to commit third-degree burglary, third-degree larceny and first-degree criminal mischief. Clinton Police say other charges are pending from other agencies. He is being held by the Department of Corrections on a $125,000 bond.


Photo Credit: Clinton Police Department

LA Pot Dispensary Farmers Market


For some Los Angeles residents, the 4th of July weekend will be a chance to stock up on marijuana.

Patients eligible to use medical marijuana will be able to buy the drug directly from growers at a pot-centric farmers market. The California Heritage Market, which will feature 50 vendors, is open to any card-carrying medical marijuana patient in California.

“It will provide patients access to growers face to face,” said executive director Paizley Bradbury.

The market will be held in an enclosed outdoor area at West Coast Collective, a medical marijuana dispensary in Boyle Heights. Bradbury said organizers will check ID to verify that shoppers can buy marijuana before allowing them to enter.

The vendors have also been screened to ensure the market doesn’t “just let anybody come off the street.”

“A lot of people have been contacting me and saying, how are you doing this?” Bradbury said. “This is the legal way. This is what the laws are allowing us to do.”

Bradbury said the West Coast Collective decided to host the market out of frustration that the medical marijuana industry, especially in Los Angeles, has strayed from its original purpose of providing medicine to patients.

“Dispensary owners purchase medicine from growers and have created this market where their patients have no idea where their medicine is coming from,” she said.

She added that the city needs to do more to regulate growers and dispensaries, which she said often raise prices and give false information to patients. The farmers market, she said, will bring medical marijuana “back to its roots.”

A website for the event says the market "virtually guarantees that fresh medicine will be abundant and affordable."affordable.

The market, which also features food and games, will be held on July 4, 5 and 6 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the West Coast Collective. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

New D.C. Apartment Comes With a Dog


Next time you're apartment hunting, you may want to add "communal dog" to your checklist.

In addition to sweeping views, updated appliances and all modern conveniences, one new D.C. apartment complex comes with an English bulldog for all residents to enjoy.

Doug Crawford, the manager of 2M, a building set to open Aug. 1 at the corner of North Capitol and M streets, is making it possible for busy residents to have a pet without all the work.

His 10-month-old pup, Emmy, will serve as the communal dog.

"People work endless amounts of hours, so it's rather difficult to get a puppy and care for them," he said.

Residents will be able to visit and interact with the dog seven days a week, but Crawford will take full care of Emmy.

"People sometimes don't have time to take care of a puppy like they'd like to," said Crawford. "I just thought it would be something extra that our residents can enjoy." 


Naked Man at Virginia Bar Flees


The first problem was being naked, at a bar in Clarendon, Virginia.

But there was much more mayhem in store Saturday night when Arlington police tried to apprehend the naked guy.

The chaos started shortly after 8 p.m., when police responded to Goody's bar for a report of a naked man. When police approached, the man -- who police said was in his 20s -- ran away.

He then jumped into a car and sped off, going down Wilson Boulevard the wrong way. He hit several parked cars as he drove.

Then he jumped out of the car, and ran again -- but police caught him. Police said that he is facing several charges, though they did not detail what they were.

No one was injured.

The capture understandably drew the attention of a large crowd, including the viewer who tweeted the picture above.

Dozens Gather to Rally for Immigration Reform


Dozens gathered on the New Haven Green on Saturday to protest deportation laws.

Holding signs and chanting for immigration reform, they shared how the current policies have affected them.

Two-year-old Cruz Mendoza spent most of his life without his dad.

"He was eight months old when they deported him. He's missed every single birthday," said his mother Jasmine Mendoza.

Jasmine, who is a US citizen, says last year her husband was pulled over for not wearing his seatbelt, and it was revealed he had a deportation order from 1998.

"ICE told me I was young enough and able enough to find a new husband, and they deported him on April 10th, 2013," said Jasmine.

Jose Luis Piscil, who's lived in the states for 26 years, is now in the process of being deported. It means being separated from his wife and two children.

"People come here to reunite with their families, to keep their families together, and that should not be a crime," said activist Megan Fountain.

It wasn't just those in Connecticut fighting for change on Saturday. Activists across the country demonstrated for a National Day of Action to Stop Separating Families. In nearby Boston, demonstrators took to the streets on the historic Freedom Trail, rallying for reform.

"They're ripping families apart," said Jasmine. "It's ridiculous."

Because of her husband's deportation, Jasmine says she's lost nearly everything. Now in financial straits she and Cruz must leave the country as well. They'll reunite with her husband in Mexico but don't know if they'll ever be able to come back.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live