Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

WWII Vet from NYC Found in Vegas


A 92-year-old World War II veteran who disappeared after taking a walk in Harlem last week has been found safe in Las Vegas, his family says.

Police had been looking for Richard Micheaux since he was last seen on Amsterdam Avenue near West 145th Street while on his regular coffee and newspaper run last Tuesday morning.

Micheaux, who usually wears his Air Force dog tags around his neck, was found 2,500 miles away in Las Vegas on Monday, disoriented but otherwise OK, his son Gregg Micheaux told NBC 4 New York. He was wandering in front of the Flamingo Hotel, and he believed he was still in New York when he was found by police. 

The veteran had apparently taken a bus to Las Vegas from Pittsburgh. It's not clear how he reached Pittsburgh from New York, or how he was able to purchase a bus ticket to Las Vegas; his son said he doubted his father had enough money to cover the ticket.

Micheaux's doctor told his son that he had not been in for a visit in over two years. 

Richard Micheaux was being evaluated a local hospital in Las Vegas. His son says he'll be flying there later this week to pick him up and return home with him. 

-- Michael George and Checkey Beckford contributed to this report

Baby Left on NYC Subway Platform


An infant girl in a stroller was abandoned on a subway platform at Columbus Circle Monday afternoon, and police are looking for the woman who allegedly left her there.

Police say when a northbound 1 train stopped at the station at around noon, a woman pushed the stroller off the train onto the platform, then stayed on the train as it left the station.

A bystander stayed with the baby for about 20 minutes, thinking the woman would return, according to police. When no one showed up, she contacted authorities. 

The baby, believed to be about 6 to 7 months old, was taken to Roosevelt Hospital to be evaluated, and she's said to be in good condition. 

Police have released a photo of the girl in the hope someone can help identify her (below). 

The woman is described as being about 20 to 30 years old with medium-length black hair, and was last seen wearing a short-sleeved yellow blouse. 

-- Gus Rosendale contributed to this report. 

LAPD Won't Detain Immigrants


Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Monday that the Los Angeles Police Department will no longer comply with federal requests to detain undocumented immigrant inmates past their jail terms.

Garcetti said the new policy will help build community trust between undocumented immigrants and the LAPD.

“Washington may be stalling when it comes to immigration reform, but it is within our power here in Los Angeles to make real on-the-ground difference in the lives of everyday Angelenos,” Garcetti said during a news conference.

The LAPD will only honor detention requests from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) only if they have a judicial review. The move will allow officers to focus on more pressing issues, Garcetti said.

“I want us to be focused on gang crimes, getting drugs off our streets and stopping our gun violence,” Garcetti said. “So, on behalf of our taxpayers, we are saying ‘no more.’”

Last year, more than 50,000 people were arrested in the city, according to LAPD Chief Charlie Beck. Of those arrests, ICE issued 773 detainer requests and LAPD complied in more than 300 cases.

Beck believes the shift in policy will build a stronger relationship with the community, which in turn will lead to safer streets.

“That’s why this is so important,” Beck said. “This builds trust in a community that sometimes feels separated from not only it’s police department, but from the rest of city government.”

In the past Beck has voiced his support for allowing undocumented immigrants to receive driver's licenses and skirting a mandatory 30-day impound rule following stops.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Nicole Nashida told NBC News Monday that under department policy, ICE is notified when the department begins processing an undocumented inmate out of the jail, which can take days or weeks. Inmates are not held past their normal release date but Nashida said that two ICE buses arrive each day to pick up inmates.

She told NBC News that together with their law enforcement partners, the department is evaluating that policy to ensure that it complies with ‘best practices.’

Car Crashes Near Bridgeport Hospital ER Entrance


A car traveling through Bridgeport this morning crashed through an iron fence outside Bridgeport Hospital and ended up in the stairwell outside the emergency room entrance after the elderly driver lost control, according to a spokesperson for the hospital.

Hospital officials said an elderly couple was traveling on Mill Hill Avenue around 10:30 a.m. Monday when the husband lost control of the car, which jumped the curb and crashed through a section of iron fencing outside the hospital.

The car came to rest on a stairwell leading to the emergency room walk-in entrance, hospital officials said. The couple was taken to the emergency room for an evaulation but did not appear to be injured.

Hospital operations were not affected by the crash.

Photo Credit: News 12 Connecticut

One-of-a-Kind WWII Map Discovered in Delaware Garage


Fifty-two World War II stories that were hidden in a Rehoboth Beach garage will finally be told.

In just a few weeks, a World War II museum in Delaware will welcome a new, historic artifact – an enormous map documenting a rear admiral's travels, as well as every U.S. submarine lost in the war.

"I think it’s safe to say that there is no other map like this in the country," Dr. Gary Wray, president of the Fort Miles Historical Association, said.

The preservation and transportation of the 7-by-15-foot map,  which Wray says marks all 52 U.S. submarine lost in World War II with a small cross, along with the number of men lost, prisoners of war and the country that destroyed the boat, will be a complex process. It is currently attached to a garage wall in Rehoboth Beach.

"Phase I is saving the map for Delaware and U.S. history," Wray said. "Phase II will be the restoration of the map, and Phase III will be the final destination of the map to either our museum of another final museum resting place.”

According to Wray, the map was created in the 1960s and 1970s by the late Rear Admiral Henry Draper Sipple. Sipple, who was from Milford, graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1937, commanded the USS Trench submarine, and was awarded a bronze star for his World War II service. He died in 1992.

The creation came to the historical association's attention when the current owners of Sipple’s house embarked on a home improvement project. After discovering the map, they got in touch with a board member, who happened to live just 200 feet away.

“The homeowners were about to redo the garage, they saw the map, and thought it might be important,” Wray said.

Now, the Fort Miles Historical Association is working with the Atelier Art Services of Philadelphia to move the map to the World War II museum inside Batter 519 at Cape Henlopen State Park.

"In our view, [this map] is an important part of both Delaware and U.S. history, and therefore deserves to be both saved and preserved," Wray said. "It’s not every day you see a map of this nature done by a U.S. submarine commander in World War II who was from Delaware."

Wray said while the group "is excited to save this important piece of World War II history," this isn’t the first time the Fort Miles Historical Association has taken on a complex project in order to preserve a piece of history. In 2012, it began the process of restoring the middle barrel of Turret One of the USS Missouri, also known as BB-63. That artifact will eventually be put on display outside the Fort Miles Museum entrance.

"This is not our first rodeo in saving an important piece of American history," Wray said.

Photo Credit: Delaware State Parks

Ship Rescues 3 From Plane Crash


Three people were rescued from the Atlantic by a passing cargo ship Monday morning after their small plane crashed into open waters en route to Miami from the Bahamas, authorities said.

The twin-engine Cessna 337 was headed to Opa-locka Executive Airport from Great Harbour Cay Airport when it went down roughly 27 miles east of Bimini around 8:15 a.m., according to the FAA. All three people aboard survived and were rescued.

Pilot Ernie Martin said that after the plane lost fuel in one engine and then the other, he tried to land the plane as close as possible to the ship he spotted nearby.

Martin said he opened the door before hitting the water to expedite the escape from the plane. The men had some scrapes and bruises but suffered no serious injuries. They are now headed home to be with their families.

“The impact was hard — not unexpected, but hard,” Martin said. “Then you’re trying to go out the door with water rushing into the cabin.”

“I was in the backseat and it was, uh, shocking,” said passenger Daniel Puig. “It was very unexpected, and seatbelts worked. Seatbelts save lives. If not, I would’ve been flying through the window.”


Photo Credit: NBC 6 South Florida

Md. Cop Told Gun Not OK in Ikea


In 35 years in law enforcement, said the Takoma Park Police chief, he's never had this happen.

He's never had a store tell him that he would have to leave his service weapon in the car or leave the store -- especially when he was in his police uniform.

But that's what happened July 4 in the Ikea in College Park, where Takoma Park Police Chief Alan Goldberg had stopped in with his daughter. Goldberg was in uniform because he had worked that morning at the city's July 4 parade, and would be back on duty that night for fireworks.

In between, he stopped at Ikea to shop for furniture for his daughter's new apartment. And that's when a loss-prevention officer at the store approached him.

"He says we have a no firearms policy, and you're either going to have to leave or you can lock your gun in the car," Goldberg said.

The store has signs posted on the front door that read "Weapons Free Environment."

Neither of those options seemed a good one to the officer.

"It isn't the most prudent thing to do to walk around the store in uniform with an empty holster," Goldberg said. "And I am not going to lock my gun in a commercial parking lot, with people watching me put it in there. That's just ludicrous."

The chief demanded to see the store's written policy, but he only got it today after News4 contacted Ikea. The retailer released this statement:

We regret that there was a misunderstanding of our weapon policy in our College Park Store. Our weapon policy does not apply to law enforcement officers. We are taking steps to ensure that this is clear for all our co-workers.

Goldberg, who was so angry at the store's response Friday that he posted about it on Facebook, said Monday that response satisfies him.

And it also satisfied shoppers that News4 spoke to at Ikea.

Many shoppers, like Arthur Marshall, said that retailers' no-gun policies should "maybe have an exception for police officers."

It also seems the chief's concerns have made a difference: Monday, at least three armed police officers were seen at the College Park Ikea store at lunchtime.

Vernon Bank Robbery Suspect Facing Charges


Police have arrested the man accused of robbing a Vernon bank last summer and threatening employees with a bomb.

Dionige Nasiadka, 22, of South Windsor, was charged July 4 in connection with the June 2013 robbery of the People’s United Bank at 35 Talcottville Road in Vernon.

Nasiadka is accused of approaching a bank employee in the parking lot around 8:30 a.m. June 21, 2013 and telling her he had a bomb. Police said he followed her inside and demanded money, then stole an employee’s car to get away.

The robbery sparked a massive manhunt that shut down part of Interstate 84.

Nasiadka was charged with two counts of first-degree robbery, three counts of first-degree kidnapping, one count of first-degree larceny, one count of third-degree larceny and one count of second-degree strangulation.

He’s being held on $500,000 bond at the Vernon Police Department and is due in court July 7.

Police are still actively investigating the robbery.

Photo Credit: Vernon Police Department

Route 131 Reopens in Thompson


Route 131 has reopened in Thompson following a crash, according to the state Department of Transportation.

The road was closed at Kapituik Road for several hours. The Department of Transportation said a car struck a tree there.

No additional information was immediately available.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Homeowner Tackles, Detains Burglary Suspect


A West Hartford homeowner helped police catch one of two men he caught burglarizing his Brace Road home late evening on the 4th of July. 

Police arrested Christopher Colby, 29, and Roberto Colon, 44, on charges of first-degree burglary, possession of burglary tools, second-degree criminal mischief, third-degree larceny and conspiracy to commit burglary, criminal mischief and larceny. Colon was also charged with third-degree criminal trespass.

There have been four burglaries in West Hartford over the past few days, including a cat burglary, and the arrests of Colby and Colon have closed two of the cases. 

Colby and Colon fled the Brace Road home when the homeowner returned around 11:15 p.m. and caught them burglarizing his house, police said.  

The homeowner called police as he chased after the suspects and reportedly tackled Colby at the Dale Street intersection. He detained the suspect until an officer, who was on patrol keeping an eye out for drunken drivers, arrived to take Colby into custody, according to police. 

Meanwhile, several officers searched West Hartford Center on foot for Colon, interviewing people walking in the center and going door to door at the local businesses. Two of the officers found Colon hiding behind a construction site at 11 South Main Street, the Masonic Temple next to Sweet Frog frozen yogurt, according to police. 

Police also found Colby's girlfriend in the area after kicking down a front door, but officers determined she was not part of the burglary and did not arrest her.

The incident remains under investigation. 

Photo Credit: West Hartford Police

Man Uses Fireplace Poker, Shovel in Assault: Police


A 58-year-old man is facing assault charges after reportedly using a fire poker and shovel to threaten the woman involved in a hit-and-run crash in New Haven on Saturday, according to police.

North Haven police were called in to help investigate the crash and search for the offending car, which officers found parked outside 90 Pool Road, according to police.

Officers knocked on the door and no one answered, but while they were outside the house Johnny Ortiz arrived home. Police said Oritz was “uncooperative” and told officers he didn’t know where the driver was. He declined to let them inside.

After Ortiz entered the house, officers heard a man yelling, followed by “three loud smacking sounds and a loud boom.” They forced their way inside, believing a fight was underway, police said.

There they saw Ortiz standing over the woman, holding over a fireplace poker and metal fireplace shovel, according to police. They demanded that Ortiz put the weapons down and took him into custody when he refused.

Ortiz was charged with third-degree assault, first-degree unlawful restraint and disorderly conduct. He was released after posting $15,000 bond and was arraigned Monday.

The woman, who has not been identified by name, was arrested and is facing charges out of New Haven in connection with the hit-and-run, according to North Haven police.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Man Kicks Pregnant Woman: Police


 Police arrested a Middletown man on the 4th of July after a pregnant woman claimed he assaulted her. 

Officers handcuffed Steven Freeman, 44, when they saw him leaving out the back door of the Slack Street home upon arrival and detained him as they interviewed the complainant.

 The woman told police that she was nine month pregnant and that Freeman kicked her during an argument, police said. He is the father, according to police.

She tried to barricade the back door with her body to prevent Freeman from entering the home following a series of arguments, but he pushed through and kicked her in the stomach, the woman told police. 

Police charged Freeman with third-degree assault on a pregnant person and took him to the Middletown Police Department for processing. 

Freeman called family members and his pastor for assistance posting bail, to no avail, so he was held on a $5,000 bond. 

Police said he filled out a family violence conditions of release form.

There were no protective or restraining orders on record for the woman or Freeman. 

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Farmington Resident Helps Police Catch Burglary Suspect


Police have arrested the man accused of burglarizing Farmington homes after a tip from a would-be victim led officers to catch him in the process of breaking into a house nearby.

A resident of Terrie Road in Farmington called police around 3 p.m. on July 4 to report that a strange man had showed up on her doorstep and told her he was looking for his paint crew, which was supposedly working in the area, police said.

The resident gave police a description of the man’s vehicle, and officers headed to the neighborhood to investigate. Police said they found his car – empty – outside a home down the street on Gail Road.

Officers noticed that the back door to the house was open. Moments later, a man ran out the door and into the woods, according to police.

Police chased him on foot and took him into custody. He was identified as 58-year-old George Michael Kline, 58, of Plantsville.

Police said officers interrupted the burglary and that Kline hadn’t had a chance to steal anything.

He reportedly confessed to knocking on doors and burglarizing the homes that were empty. According to police, Kline told officers that when a homeowner came to the door, he made up a story about a paint crew and found another home to burglarize.

Kline was arrested and his bond was set at $150,000. He appeared in court today.

Photo Credit: Farmington Police Department

CT Man Brought Gun to JFK: TSA


A Connecticut man flying to Aruba was arrested on a weapons charge after police said he tried to bring a handgun through a John F. Kennedy International Airport security checkpoint  Monday morning. 

The New Canaan man told Transportation Security Administration officers that he forgot he put the gun in his carry-on bag, according to the TSA. Officers detected the .22-caliber firearm in the man's bag at the security checkpoint via the X-ray machine and found it in a case.

TSA officers stopped him from bringing the handgun beyond security. Port Authority Police arrested him on a state weapons charge and seized the gun.

The man was one of 90,000 passengers TSA officers screen on average daily at the airport, according to the TSA.

TSA and police have not released the name of the passenger arrested. 

The TSA reminds passengers that they are responsible for what they bring in their bags to a security checkpoint and that weapons, including firearms, firearm parts and ammunition, are forbidden from carry-on bags, according to the TSA. Anyone who brings a firearm to a security checkpoint faces possible criminal charges and fines up to $11,000 from the TSA.

TSA advises passengers to inspect their carry-on luggage before entering an airport "to make sure there are no illegal or prohibited items" and to review their state's firearm laws before traveling.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Milford Teacher Charged with Assault on Student


A Jonathan Law High School teacher in Milford is facing criminal charges after police received a complaint about his rough behavior toward a student, police said.

Police are charging Mark Ruzbarsky, 32, of 32 Welles Drive, Milford, with third-degree assault and second-degree breach of peace after a lengthy investigation. Police issued a warrant for Ruzbarsky's arrest on July 3. 

Milford police received a complaint on Feb. 24 about an incident between a teacher and student at the high school. Ruzbarsky is accused of "restraining a student by the neck during a class at the school," police said. 

The school system Web site lists Ruzbarsky as a  math teacher at Jonathan Law High School.

Ruzbarsky's personal page says he's been with at the school for four years and teaches Algebra II, Applied Geometry and Pre-Calculus. It also lists him as an assistant wrestling coach.

Milford Public Schools said that Ruzbarsky is still employed in the district and said that he is not under suspension.

He is scheduled to appear in court on July 29.  

Person Rescued From Water at Satan's Kingdom


Emergency crews worked to pull a man from the Farmington River at Satan's Kingdom State Recreation Area in New Hartford on Monday afternoon, according to Canton police.

Police said the man suffered a shoulder injury and couldn't get himself out of the water. Canton police sent a rescue boat to help bring the victim ashore.

His condition is unknown.

No additional information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

20 Animals Rescued From Filthy Milford Home


The Milford Health Department has condemned a home on Ocean Avenue after authorities found 20 animals living in filthy conditions.

Neighbors called authorities to complain about the stench, and investigators arrived to find 16 cats, three dogs and a bird living among trash and their own waste, according to city Health Director Andrew McBride.

“They were kept inside the facility in, you can imagine what that was like, without running water and animals going outside,” McBride said.

Animal Control is taking care of the pets, and McBride said the city will take legal action against the homeowner if the house isn’t brought up to code.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hartford Police Arrest Shooting Suspect


A 20-year-old West Hartford man is facing charges after a shooting attempt on Heath Street in Hartford this spring.

Police said he missed the intended target.

Christian Mendez, of Warren Terrace in West Hartford, was arrested and charged with attempted assault, carrying a pistol without a permit, criminal possession of a firearm and criminal use of a firearm.

Mendez is accused of firing rounds in the area of 116 Heath Street the evening of May 19. Investigators at the scene found five 9mm Ruger shell casings in the road, according to police.

Police said “detectives identified an intended victim who was not cooperative” but interviewed witnesses and tracked Mendez down.

He was arrested Monday while behind bars on unrelated weapons charges. Bond was set at $200,000.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police Department

SEAL Bilked Soldiers of $1.1M: Feds


A judge must decide this week if prosecutors have enough evidence to send a former Navy SEAL, accused of stealing more than $1.1 million from fellow service members, to trial.

Jason Mullaney, 42, appeared in San Diego court for his preliminary hearing Monday as prosecutors laid out the case against him.

They say the former service member convinced 11 active and retired Navy SEALs and a family friend to invest in his money-lending business Trident Financial Holdings & Acquisitions.

Mullaney has pleaded not guilty to the 29 felony charges against him, including grand theft and fraud.

The first to take the stand Monday was Michael Brown, a police investigator who has been involved in the case since Mullaney’s arrest in 2012.

Brown told the court one of the alleged victims, Andrew Geiger, trusted Mullaney as a family friend and even dated the defendant’s sister.

So when Mullaney asked Geiger to invest in his business, Geiger gave him $50,000 and expected a 24 percent return on his investment, according to Brown.

The friend claims he received nothing in return.

“[Geiger] spoke with Mr. Mullaney, and Mr. Mullaney gave him a series of excuses as to why he couldn't pay him at that time and offered the ability to reinvest for a later time,” said Brown.

The investigator said Mullaney told his investors he was loaning money to borrowers with risky credit, and he gave about $20,000 back to his investors. 

The defense pointed out Geiger had said that Mullaney himself had lost money. 

April Riel, a forensic accountant for the FBI who examined Mullaney's accounts, also answered questions for the court. 

She testified that Mullaney transferred money from his business account to his personal account, which he used for both private and business transactions. 

During his cross-examination, Mullaney's attorney grilled Riel on her methods and how she determined if an account is personal or not. She said co-mingling accounts was unusual but would not say it was unethical. 

Kitchen Fire Renders Manchester Home Uninhabitable


A Manchester family is lucky to be alive after hot oil on the stove caught fire and sent their kitchen up in flames.

Fire officials said there were no working smoke detectors in the home and the family was “extremely fortunate to have discovered the fire” before anyone was injured.

The flames broke out around 6:15 p.m. Monday at a single-family ranch on High Street in Manchester.

A middle-aged couple and 23-year-old woman who lived there were not home at the time, but the couple’s 28- and 25-year-old sons, 21-year-old daughter and a 3-year-old girl were inside the house when the fire started.

According to fire officials, the 28-year-old son was heating oil on the stovetop when he went downstairs into the basement and left the pan unattended.

The 25-year-old son was sleeping in a bedroom near the kitchen when he awoke to a “crackling” sound and got up to see flames engulfing the stove, firefighters said.

The residents who were home made it out safely with the family dog.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke rising from the house and fire in the kitchen. They knocked down the flames within about an hour, according to the fire department.

Fire officials said the kitchen was heavily damaged and the rest of the house sustained moderate smoke and heat damage. A building inspector deemed the house uninhabitable and the residents found another place to say.

The fire marshal is investigating. Firefighters urge residents to install smoke detectors in their homes and check the batteries.

Photo Credit: Monica Garske
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live