Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Bird Strike Sends Plane Back to NY


An Air India flight leaving Newark Airport was forced to turn around shortly after takeoff because of an engine fire, officials say.

Air India Flight 144 to Mumbai left the airport at about 4:30 p.m., and the pilot reported a fire in an engine on the plane's left side shortly after takeoff and the engine soon shut down.

The plane returned to Newark and landed safely just after 5 p.m. The plane had "multiple" blown tires as a result of the fire.

None of the crew or the 313 passengers on board was hurt. They were taken off the plane without incident. 

The fire was initially attributed to a bird strike but a Port Authority spokeswoman says that information was incorrect.

Maywood resident Sheryle Robert heard the roar of the Boeing 777 as it descended.

"Lo and behold, there's a huge jumbo jet right over my head, and it's pretty scary because I'm not used to seeing that around here," she said.

"I was just like, 'Why is this huge plane flying so incredibly low in this neighborhood? And then we see it just do a hard turn, it was just circling. Very scary,'" she added.

-- Michael George contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

Man Arrested in March 2013 Shooting


Hartford police have arrested a man charged with a shooting that occurred in March of 2013.

On March 8, 2013, police responded to a report of a person shot at 203 Sission Avenue. A victim was transported by private vehicle to St. Francis Hospital with serious life-threatening injuries. The victim has since recovered but sustained life altering injuries, according to police. Police believe the motive was attempted robbery.

Police say 36-year-old Deshawn Jennings, of 102 Irving Street in Hartford, has been arrested in connection with the incident. He is charged with first-degree assault, first-degree criminal attempted robbery, carrying a pistol without a permit, and criminal possession of a firearm. He is being held on a $750,000 bond.

The investigation is on-going and police expect to make additional arrests.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police Department

Police Investigate Multiple Vandalism Cases


Vernon police are investigating several reports of overnight vandalism in the Skinner Road neighborhood Sunday.

The vandals spray painted end egged many houses, cars and mailboxes, police said.

The damage likely took place between midnight and 3 a.m. July 13.

Witnesses told police that they believe males between 13 and 16 years old are responsible.

Police ask anyone with information to contact Officer Scott King at 860-872-9126, extension 238.


Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Silver Alert Canceled for Missing Norwich Man


Norwich police have canceled a Silver Alert for 59-year-old Paul Ross. He has been found in good health.

Police issued a Silver Alert for Ross Sunday afternoon. There was concern that Ross left home without his required daily medications.



Man Pleads Guilty to Snake Hoarding


An Orange County elementary school teacher who was arrested in January for hoarding more than 400 mostly dead snakes in his home pleaded guilty on Thursday to failing to care for the animals.

Police searched the home of William Fredrick Buchman, a sixth grade teacher at Mariners Elementary School in Newport Beach, after being notified of a dead animal smell coming from the house.

Authorities found 240 dead and 182 living ball pythons in the home, which smelled "God-awful," Santa Ana police said. Of the living snakes, 20 died after being found.

The house was also infested with rats and mice that had not been fed and were cannibalizing each other, officials said.

After pleading guilty, Buchman was ordered to do 100 hours of community service and attend a 16-session animal cruelty class. He also cannot own or live with pets for five years.

Buchman paid about $17,000 to Southern California Herpetology Association and Rescue, which disposed of the dead snakes and rescued the living ones.

According to Buchman's attorney Paul Meyer, the neglect of the snakes stemmed from Buchman's grief over his mother, who died three years ago.

"The depression paralyzed him and he tragically neglected the reptiles which had been a family hobby," Meyer told City News Service, adding that Buchman, who is on leave from the elementary school, has donated his reptile cages to a rescue organization. 

3 Dead, 21 Hurt in Chicago Violence


At least three people have been killed and 21 others wounded in shootings across Chicago amid a stormy and rainy weekend.

Police said a 28-year-old man was shot in the 1300 block of West Devon Avenue just before 3:30 p.m. Saturday near the city’s Edgewater and Rogers Park neighborhoods.

The man was standing on the block when someone approached him on foot and opened fire, according to authorities.

He was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston where he was later pronounced dead, police said.

Around the same time, a 19-year-old man was shot in the left in the 8700 block of South Escanaba Avenue. The teen told police three offenders approached him and fired several shots at him, striking him in the left arm before fleeing in a gray pickup truck.

He was transported to Trinity Hospital in stable condition following the shooting and Area South detectives are investigating.

At about 7 p.m. Saturday, a 19-year-old man walked into Mount Sinai Hospital with gunshot wonds to both legs. The men told police he was standing in the 4500 block of West 58th Street when he “heard shots and felt pain.”

Around 1:15 a.m. Sunday a 16-year-old boy was shot in the leg in the 3600 block of West 15th Street.

The teen was standing on a sidewalk when someone approached him on foot and fired shots in his direction, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada.

He was transported in stable condition to Mount Sinai Hospital. Area Central detectives are investigating.

At least two others were killed in shootings this weekend.

Just after 8 p.m., four people were shot, one of them fatally in the 5200 block of West Quincy Street. Police said a group of people were standing on the block when a dark-colored sedan drove by and someone inside opened fire.

A 32-year-old man was shot in the head and was pronounced dead at the scene. Another man, whose age was not immediately known, was shot in the arm and refused medical treatment. Police said the man was being uncooperative at the scene.

A 30-year-old woman injured in the shooting walked into Loretto Hospital with multiple gunshots wounds to the body. She was later transferred to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in stable condition, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer.

A fourth victim walked into West Suburban Medical Center with a wound to the hand and was listed in good condition.

The shooting took place just steps away from a parking lot for the Friendship Baptist Church, where churchgoers were celebrating the 117th Church Anniversary, according to the church’s website.
A man was killed and his mother seriously wounded in a shooting in the city’s Chicago Lawn neighborhood.

Police said the shooting appeared to be a domestic incident.

The two were involved in an argument with a man in the home in the 6200 block of South Rockwell Street, according to authorities. Police said the man left the residence after the argument and returned with a handgun, striking both victims in the chest.

A 27-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene and his 50-year-old mother was in serious condition at Mount Sinai Hospital.

At least 12 other people were wounded in shootings since 6 p.m. Friday.

Hartford Man Charged in Two Shooting Incidents


Hartford police have arrested a man accused of shooting woman in the torso.

Sunday at 12:03 a.m., members of the Hartford Police Shooting Task force heard gunshots in the area of Garden Street at Edgewood Street. Investigators spotted a silver Honda Accord fleeing the scene north on Garden Street. The car matched the description of a suspect vehicle at an earlier shooting on Albany Ave at Oakland Terrace.

The car was traveling at a high rate of speed and eluded the officers.

Meanwhile other STF investigators observed a gray Acura fleeing the area south on Garden Street at a high rate of speed. Officers stopped the vehicle and found a gunshot victim in the passenger seat. According to police, the victim stated the operator of a Honda Accord fired shots at her for no apparent reason.

The 23-year-old female victim was transported to St. Francis Hospital with a non-life threatening gunshot wound to the right side torso.

Police searched the area and found spent .45 caliber shell casings in the vicinity of 593 Garden St.

Police put a radio broadcast out for the Honda Accord. They say around 1:10a.m. they found the car in a parking lot at 690 Albany Ave.

Twenty-five-year-old Jermal Randolph McCall, of Hartford was found with the car. Police searched the vehicle and found a .45 caliber shell casing in plain view on the passenger seat. A live round was also found. There was also a double barreled sawed off shotgun in the trunk.

Police say McCall confessed to shooting the sawed-off shotgun on Albany Ave due to a fight at the Kabbalah House at 1023 Albany Ave. He also confessed to the shooting on Garden Street, but said he didn’t mean to hit anyone, according to police. McCall cliamed the .45 caliber handgun fell out of the car window and police have been unable to locate it.

McCall is charged with carrying a pistol without a permit, two counts of criminal possession of a firearm, first-degree assault, two counts of first-degree reckless endangerment, two counts of a weapon in a motor vehicle, possession of a sawed off shotgun, and unlawful discharge of a firearm. He was held on a $750,000 bail.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police Department

Dramatic Stamford Shooting Captured on Video


A man opened fire outside a Stamford, Connecticut, nightclub Sunday, injuring five people, following an altercation outside the club over a female, police said.

Stamford police arrested Dayrong Wills, 22, who admitted that he was involved in the shooting in the parking lot for Tino's Nightclub at 84 West Park Place in Stamford.

Police released video footage taken by a witness of the shooting and are asking for other witnesses to come forward with information. It shows a man in a red shirt, who police identified as Wills, pulling a gun out in a crowded parking lot and several people ducking for cover as Wills fired successive shots. Witnesses posted the video on social media and police have the footage in evidence, police said.

Wills pulled his gun on another person he got into an altercation with and fired shots at the individual, he told police. Police received reports of a shooting at about 1:38 a.m. July 13. Responding officers heard gunshots being fired as they arrived at what they described as a "chaotic scene" and discovered five people who were shot.

Four men and one woman were taken to an area hospital to be treated for gunshot wounds "to their upper and lower extremities," police said. The injuries appear to be non-life threatening, police said.

It's not clear at this time whether the person Wills got into a dispute with was one of the wounded or one of the people in the video, police said. The incident remains under investigation.

Wills told police he discarded his .40 caliber handgun near the Atlantic Street and Bank Street intersection, which was where people found it. Police said that Wills has a valid pistol permit and that he is legally registered to carry the gun that was used in the shooting.

When police found Wills, they also seized "a small amount of marijuana" that he had on him.

Stamford police charged Wills with five counts of first-degree assault, first-degree reckless endangerment, unlawful discharge of a firearm and possession of marijuana.

Police held him on a $1 million bond and Wills is scheduled to appear in Stamford Superior Court on Monday, July 14.

Stamford police notified the States Attorney's Office about the incident.

The Stamford Police Department said that there were numerous witnesses to the shooting and are asking for the public's help in the investigation. Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the Stamford Police Detective Bureau at 203-977-4417.

Photo Credit: Submitted

Tractor Trailer Crash Closes I-95 Lane in North Stonington


The left lane of Interstate 95 northbound is closed Monday between Exits 92 and 93 in North Stonington due to a tractor trailer crash, according to the state Department of Transportation.

A tractor trailer veered down an embankment.

The incident was reported to the DOT at 5:28 a.m.

Weigh in on Proposed Hartford Parking Permit Regulations


The Hartford Parking Authority is seeking the public's input on proposed residential parking permit regulations for high density neighborhoods.

The parking authority is hosting a public hearing at its 155 Morgan Street headquarters at 3:30 p.m., inviting city residents to join in on the conversation.


Latex International Foam Employees Return to Work


Employees at a Shelton bedding factory are scheduled to return to work Monday after two fires in the building in a four-day span at the end of June

Latex International Foam lost more $3 million in damaged property due to the initial fire on June 26

Four firefighters were injured after battling the blaze. Days later on June 30, a smaller fire broke out at the River Road facility when mattresses and debris from the first fire self-combusted, according to the Shelton fire marshal.


6 Arrested at Dave Matthews Band Concerts


Hartford police arrested six people during two nights of Dave Matthews Band concerts at Xfinity Theatre over a busy weekend in Hartford and more than a dozen minors were hospitalized.

Officers arrested one person on a third-degree robbery charge Friday who strong-armed tickets, police said. Five more concert goers were arrested at Saturday's concert, including two on charges of trespass, two people on third-degree assault charges and another on first-degree breach of peace and disorderly conduct charges, according to police.

Police issued 25 summons for underage drinking on Friday and 45 on Saturday. 

On Saturday, 28 concert goers were hospitalized, including 13 intoxicated minors.

On Friday, ambulances transported 17 people to the hospital, including eight people under 21.

There were 21,574 people at the concert on Saturday and 11,916 on Friday. 

Photo Credit: John Hancock

Hartford Opens First Skate Park


Hartford's first skate park opened this weekend.

Skaters have waited years for the skate park and many came to check it out over the weekend.

The park, located just above Interstate 84 in Hartford, has been in the works for about five years.

Daily hours are from dawn until dusk.



Photo Credit: Stock Image

Chicago Blackhawks Fan Files Suit After Being Hit by Puck


A Blackhawks fan has reportedly filed a personal injury suit against Chicago's United Center more than a year after she was hit in the face by a hockey puck.

In the suit, which was filed Friday, Patricia Higgins claims the United Center should have maintained and inspected safety nets “in order to avoid injury to spectators,” according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The 56-year-old physician and longtime season ticket holder was hit in the face by a hockey puck last June as she and her daughter sat in their normal seats, in Row 11 on the northwest side of the ice rink.

"All I heard was the stick hitting the puck, so it was that 'slap' sound, and, I mean, within a split second [she was hit]," daughter Caitlin Higgins recalled.

She looked over to see her mom holding her face. The nearly six-ounce, frozen game piece sliced Higgins right above her right eye.

She needed more than 20 internal and external stitches to close the gash and wound up with a bruised retina, inflammation, and a concussion.

Higgins claims the United Center was careless and negligent in its installation and maintenance of the nets and said she has “sustained injuries, suffered pain, lost wages and medical bills, and will continue to suffer such damages in the future,” according to the lawsuit.

A spokesman for the United Center declined to comment to the Sun-Times on pending litigation. Higgins has not returned NBC Chicago's request for comment.

Man Charged with Threatening Newtown Residents to Appear in Court


A Venezuelan man accused of making threatening calls to people in Newtown days after the Sandy Hook shootings  is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.

Wilfrido A. Cardenas Hoffman, 30, of El Hatillo, Venezuela called 96 Newtown families after the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting massacre, identifying himself as shooter Adam Lanza and threatening to kill them, according to prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Hoffman was arrested at the end of June at Miami International Airport during a trip from Venezuela to Mexico. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating the case.

Hoffman's lawyers declined to comment on the charges.



Case Continued for Ex-Student Accused of Quinnipiac Graduation Bomb Threats


A former Quinnipiac University student accused of making bomb threats at graduation to keep her family from learning she'd dropped out appeared in court on Monday and the case was continued.

Police said Danielle Shea, 22, of Quincy, Massachusetts, dropped out of school but still collected thousands of dollars in tuition money from her mother. She was arrested in her cap and gown after allegedly calling in a pair of bomb threats before a graduation ceremony.

Shea confessed to them that she called in the two bomb threats to Quinnipiac University to try to cancel the graduation ceremony at the College of Arts and Sciences, according to police. 
When she was arraigned in May, the judge said she made a "big mistake." On Monday, she appeared in Meriden Superior Court with her attorney and her mother. No one commented outside court.
Shea had paid for a cap and gown for the ceremony, but panicked when her relatives did not see her name on the graduation roster, according to a news release from police.
Police said that Shea called Quinnipiac University Public Safety at 5:38 p.m. and said that there was a “bomb in the library”
Then, she called again 17 minutes later from a blocked telephone saying, “Several bombs are on campus. You haven't cleared out graduation. That is not a good idea," according to the incident report.
Hamden police and public safety searched the library and found nothing. After the second threat was called in, Quinnipiac’s administrative staff made the decision to relocate the graduation ceremony to the TD Bank Sports Arena at the school’s York Hill Campus. The ceremony was delayed for about an hour and a half.
Hamden Police and Quinnipiac University Public Safety were able to identify the telephone number from which the call originated.
University records indicated that the telephone number was Shea’s, police said. Shortly thereafter, Hamden Police found her inside of the TD Bank Sports Complex. She was dressed in a cap and gown. After further investigation, Shea was arrested and transported to Hamden Police Headquarters.
Hamden Police detectives obtained a detailed confession from Shea and learned that she did not attend Quinnipiac University this year, police said.
She told police that she did not place a bomb, did not have a weapon and had no intention of harming anyone, but was embarrassed that she was not graduating, according to the incident report.
Police said in a news release that Shea’s mother paid her thousands of dollars this year, money she thought was for her daughter’s education.
According to the incident report, Shea told police she was a Quinnipiac student at the beginning of the 2013-2014 academic year, but had trouble registering for classes because of a delinquent balance.
She said did not notify her mother and tried to rectify the situation, but was not able to and could not register for classes in the spring of 2014, according to police. 
But Quinnipiac said Shea hadn't been in school since May of last year and she only has enough credits to be a sophomore.
Shea, who has no criminal history, was charged with first-degree threatening and falsely reporting an incident.
She was detained at police headquarters on a $20,000 bond. When she appeared in court in Meriden last month, the public defender and prosecutor agreed on a promise to appear, but the judge set bond at $10,000.

Family members posted bond but Shea offered no comment as she and her mother left the courthouse. The case has been continued until August 13.

Photo Credit: From Pool Video

George W. Bush Undergoes 2nd Knee Surgery in Chicago


For the second time in as many months, President George W. Bush traveled to Chicago for knee surgery.

The former president underwent partial knee replacement surgery on his left knee Saturday morning at Rush University Medical Center's Midwest Orthopedics, Bush's spokesman Freddy Ford confirmed in a statement.

Bush had his right knee replaced in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend.

"President and Mrs. Bush are on their way back to Dallas this morning," Ford said Monday. "He's looking forward to getting back on his mountain bike in a few weeks."

Both surgeries were outpatient procedures performed by Dr. Richard Berger. The surgery was successful.

In 2004, Time Magazine reported that the 43rd president had torn a meniscus in his knee, but which knee was never made clear.

The president gave up jogging because of the bad knee and started mountain biking in May 2004, according to reports. 

Rush University is considered a leader in joint replacement surgery.

Photo Credit: AP

Grenade Found Near Man’s Body at Canton Condo


Police are investigating the untimely death of a man at the Canton Village Condominium in Canton and said a grenade was found near the body.

Police responded to the complex at 462 Dowd Avenue just before 11:30 a.m. on Monday after receiving a 911 call from someone who reported that a person was unresponsive and needed medical attention.

When first responders arrived, they found the body of Kent Sears and a military hand grenade near him, so they partially evacuated the complex, police saud.

The grenade had not exploded, according to a news release from police, and authorities do not think it is connected to Sears’ death.

The bomb squad was called in and removed the grenade.

Police are investigating and the office of the chief medical examiner will determine the cause of Sears’ death.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

1 Hurt, 2 Cats Missing After Vernon Fire


One person was taken to the hospital and two cats are missing after a fire at a Vernon home that displaced five families.

The blaze broke out around midnight at 8 Cedar Street, a multifamily house, and firefighters spent hours dousing the flames.

Around 8:30 a.m., witnesses called 911 for crews to return when they again saw flames on the second floor.

The building owner believes the fire started with a couch, but was not sure how.

Neighbors said the person who was taken to the hospital was a firefighter who had gone into the home to rescue a dog.  

All the residents got out of the building without suffering any injuries, officials said.

Jamie Rodgers, her husband and daughter, all made it out of the house safely, but two of the family's cats are missing, she said.

The outside of the home has scorch marks from top to bottom and a large part of the roof collapsed.

The American Red Cross is helping five adults and one child with emergency housing, food and clothing. 

Firefighters from area towns responded to provide mutual aid and fire officials are investigating the cause of the fire.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Charge 2 in April Homicide


Bridgeport detectives have arrested two men in connection with an April 9 shooting that killed a New York man.

Detectives believe the victim, Ernesto Reyes-Santos, of New York, was lured to Davis Street in Bridgeport, where he was robbed and shot.

A passerby found him in the street and called police.

Elizardo Montanez, 23, and Jesus Gonzalez, 32, who are both from Bridgeport, have been charged with murder and conspiracy charges.

Police arrested Gonzalez this morning and held on $1 million bond. Montanez was charged last week and held on $2 million bond.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live