Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Police Search for Missing Thomaston Man Last Seen in Naugatuck


Naugatuck police are asking for the public's help in finding a missing Thomaston man who has been missing for more than a week.

Andre Barker, 31, visited a Naugatuck home with his girlfriend on July 24 and was last seen between noon and 1 p.m. that day after leaving to walk downtown and look for a job, police said. He didn't return home.

"Mr. Barker has no medical or special conditions and is not considered to be a danger to himself or others," Naugatuck police said in a news release.

Barker was last seen wearing a black Led Zepplin T-shirt "with red and white lettering" and khaki pants, police said. 

Police described him as being a white male who is 6-foot-3, weighs 160 pounds and who has dark brown hair, a "scruffy beard" and a "guitar tattoo with music symbols" on his right arm.

The Naugatuck Police Department asks anyone with information on Barker's disappearance or his current whereabouts to call police at 203-729-5221.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Naugatuck Police Department

State Senator Still Recovering in Hospital After Fall: Family


State Sen. Andrew Maynard, 52, is still recovering at Rhode Island Hospital from a head injury after a fall at his home two weeks ago, his sister said in a statement released Monday.

Maynard was seriously injured after falling from an outside staircase at his home on Grandview Park in Stonington early July 21, according to police.

His sister, Denise Mahoney said in a statement, released to media by Senate Democrats Director of Communications Adam Joseph, that he is still at the hospital recovering. She thanked "everyone who is keeping Andrew and his recovery in their thoughts and prayers" on behalf of his family and friends.

"The doctors and nurses at RIH are continuing their exemplary care of Andrew and the outpouring of well wishes and prayers for Andrew is overwhelming and heartwarming, my family is very thankful," Mahoney said in a statement. "Andrew has suffered numerous injuries from the fall; including a head injury. His condition remains stable while he begins the recovery process. The team at RIH are confident in a positive recovery and continue to work with Andrew to make that recovery as speedy and safe as possible."

Police responded to the home at 2:39 a.m. July 21, and said Maynard fell from a significant height and suffered severe injuries.

The initial investigation indicates that this was an accident, police said, but they are investigating.

Mahoney said in a previous statement that her brother is in serious, but stable condition and is resting comfortable.

“First, our family would like to thank the outpouring of support we've received in the way of thoughts and prayers from so many friends around Connecticut.Additionally, the team of doctors and nurses at Rhode Island Hospital have been exemplary in their service," Mahoney said in a statement, and requested the family's privacy.

Several elected officials released statements the day of Maynard's accident.

“Senator Maynard suffered an injury while at home over the weekend.  Family members are with him now, at an area hospital, and are caring for him. His family is asking for privacy while he convalesces,” a statement Senate President Donald E. Williams, Jr. (D-Brooklyn) and Senate Majority Leader Martin M. Looney (D-New Haven) released on Monday.

Gov. Dannel Malloy and Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman also released a statement.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy and his loved ones. Working with him has been an honor and a privilege.  He is a powerful voice for his district and for the issues he cares about.  We join the rest of our colleagues in wishing him a full and fast recovery,” they said in an e-mailed statement.

Sen. Minority Leader John McKinney and Sen. Minority Leader Pro Tempore Len Fasano also released a statement.

“The thoughts and prayers of the entire Connecticut State Senate Republican caucus go out to Senator Maynard and his family.  We wish Sen. Maynard a swift recovery,” the statement says.

Mahoney said that the Senate Democratic Caucus will continue to provide updates of Maynard's condition.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com and Connecticut State Senate Democrats

Man Injures Officer While Trying to Flip Hospital Bed: Police


Hartford police have arrested a Portland man who is accused of attacking a police officer while trying to flip a bed at Hartford Hospital.

Police said Austin Dukett, 24, assaulted several police officers at the Jason Aldean concert in Hartford on Sunday night and was handcuffed to a hospital bed.

He was upset about getting arrested, “wanted to have some fun,” and started trying to make the bed, flip, according to a news release from police.

When the officer who was guarding Dukett went to stabilize the bed, Dukett kicked his hand and spit at him, police said.

The officer called for an additional officer with a Taser.

Dukett was charged with second-degree breach of peace, second-degree assault, interfering with police and assault on police.

Bond was set at $500,000.


Minivan Crashes Into Church After Funeral


A minivan crashed into the side of a church in New Britain as people were gathering after a funeral around 12:45 p.m. on Monday.

The pastor of Iglesia Bautista La Hermosa, at 456 East Street, said the driver did not realize the van was in drive and crashed, hitting a gas line and the building.

More than 30 people were at the church after the funeral and had to evacuate.

A mother and young child were in the van. The child was shaken up, but no one was injured.

Connecticut Natural Gas, firefighters and police are at the scene.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Woman Admits to $14,000 Theft from J.C. Penney: Cops


A Bridgeport woman admitted to Milford police that she stole more than $14,000 worth of jewelry, watches and clothing from a local J.C. Penney, according to police.

Police started investigating Ebony Sanders, 30, of Bridgeport on June 12 because she was suspected of stealing property from J.C. Penney at 1201 Boston Post Road.

As police investigated, Sanders admitted to taking items from the store during previous incidents, according to police. The estimate of the thefts is $14,100.46.

Sanders was charged with second-degree larceny. She was released on a promise to appear and is due in court on Aug. 26.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Young Women Arrested After Fight at Social Club


Four young women are facing charges after a fight broke out at a Bridgeport social club during which three said they were slashed with a blade.

Police said Jamilleia Hibbert, 21, Renneisha Coleman, 23, Alexis Grazzal, 19, and a 15-year-old girl got into a fight at the One Love Social Cllub on Maidson Avenue in Bridgeport just before 1 a.m. Monday morning.

Coleman, Grazzal and the juvenile told investigators that Hibbert had slashed them with a blade during the confrontation, police said.

Hibbert was treated at Bridgeport Hospital and later charged with three counts of second-degree assault and one count of risk of injury to a minor.

The other three were taken to Saint Vincent's Medical Center and are each facing one count of disorderly conduct, according to police.


Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police Department

Mansion Fire Sparks Water Access Concerns


After firefighters had to travel far to find enough water to fight a Breakneck Road blaze that destroyed a Middlebury mansion about a month ago, questions have arisen about water access in town to fight future fires.

Crews shuttled water to the mansion in tankers from a mile away as they fought to put out the fire at the home of Larry Janesky, owner of Connecticut Basement in Seymour. But town officials said that's not an uncommon occurrence, where many homes are set far back from the road and far away from any bodies of water.

Town officials say it has been an ongoing problem and they have yet to find a resolution.

One idea is to have property owners have water tanks installed just in case, something that is required for new construction, but some residents question the cost.

“It’s a funding issue and I personally wouldn’t be able to pay for it,” resident Pam Quinn said. “If I had to, would they then tax me higher?”

In a phone conversation, First Selectman Edward B. St. John told NBC Connecticut that town officials have "considered installing water tanks in strategic areas around town, but funding has always been an issue."

"I’m not sure it’s feasible to go back and force someone to install their own," he said.

Nothing has been formally proposed, but what is left of the mansion is a reminder to many that the issue needs to be addressed.

“Luckily everybody got out safely, so just rebuild and let the politicians deal with the water issue,” Rich Massetti said.

Burning Food Triggers Fire Alarm As Drunken Father Naps: PD


A Willimantic father father is facing charges after his 5-year-old daughter and firefighters took several attempts to wake him up from a drunken slumber on the couch as smoke rose from food cooking on the stove, triggering the fire alarm on Saturday night, police said.

Police arrested Christopher Adams, 29, of 10 Valley Street Extension, after Willimantic firefighters responded to his apartment complex at 7 p.m. that evening. When fire crews arrived, there was smoke rising from an apartment window.

Firefighters saw a young girl inside who looked like she was trying to wake someone up on the couch, according to a news release from Willimantic police. Firefighters had to force entry into the apartment unit because no one answered their knocks and the door was locked, police said.

Adams had fallen asleep on the couch while cooking food and police said he "appeared intoxicated at the time." Rising smoke from the burning food triggered the fire alarm, according to police.

"On the surface, Adams appeared to be caring for his daughter by making dinner, but a decision to mix intoxicants with child care almost cost him much more than burnt food," Cpl. Charles Miller said. "We're grateful for the expedited response by the Fire Department, and are committed to protecting our city's youngest residents.

His daughter tried to wake him up and firefighter tried also numerous times before he finally stirred, police said. The girl was not injured and she is currently in the care of a family member who came to pick her up.

Police arrived later on scene to assist the fire department and investigated the incident.

Police charged Adams with risk of injury to a minor and reckless endangerment and held him in custody on a $20,000 bond. Adams is scheduled to appear in Danielson Superior Court on Monday.

Photo Credit: Willimantic Police Department

Former Hartford Detective Sentenced for Stealing Gun Permit Fees


The former Hartford police detective charged with stealing $30,000 in pistol permit fees has been sentenced to three years of probation, including six months of home confinement, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Tishay Johnson, 40, of Windsor, was sentenced in federal court Monday after pleading guilty in May to embezzling gun permit application funds.

According to U.S. Attorney Dierdre Daly, Johnson admitted to altering checks and money orders and forging signatures while administering Hartford’s concealed weapons permit program, then depositing the funds into his personal account.

He’s convicted of stealing $29,427 in gun permit fees between October 2009 and January 2014, resigned from the police department following a period of paid administrative leave.

Gun permits in Hartford require the applicant to pay the city a $70 processing fee and to pay the state a $66.50 background check fee, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Johnson was also ordered to perform 300 community service hours and pay back the stolen funds, including $17,442.50 to the city of Hartford and $11,984.25 to the state of Connecticut, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

The FBI and Hartford Police Department investigated Johnson’s case.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Dog Saves NY Family From Fire


A family dog is being hailed a hero for waking up a sleeping couple and their son as a fire raged in their Long Island home early Monday, authorities say.

Kevin Herlihy, the 24-year-old son of Susan and Michael Herlihy, says he was in bed with the family's 6-year-old English bulldog, named Roxanne, when the dog began barking around 1:30 a.m. Monday.

He awoke to a raging fire he believes started in an office on the first floor of his family's two-story home on Dumbarton Drive in Huntington. Herlihy woke his parents up and the three of them, as well as Roxanne, got out of the house unharmed.

Nearly 50 firefighters using seven trucks battled the blaze for 90 minutes before it was brought under control.

New Haven Charter School to Open Next Month


The future of New Haven’s newest charter school was uncertain after it cut ties with its troubled parent organization, but after three hours of testimony from parents and administrators, the state Board of Education voted unanimously Monday to open the school this fall.

Parents and supporters cheered outside the State Office Building on Capitol Avenue when they learned that the Booker T. Washington Academy will welcome its inaugural class of kindergarten and first-grade students next month.

The board imposed several conditions at the meeting Monday afternoon, including dropping the school’s charter term from five years to three, requiring the school to submit financial and performance reports after its first year and reducing enrollment from 225 to 120 students.

Today’s meeting was held after the school was forced to revise its application when the CEO of then-parent organization, Family Urban Schools of Excellence (FUSE), resigned amid controversy surrounding his credentials.

John Taylor was subsequently named executive director of the new charter school, and recently retired superintendent of New Haven Public Schools, Dr. Reginald Mayo, was appointed his mentor.

School leaders are confident the academy will be met with success.

“We’re excited, and probably most excited for our parents, who have been on hold waiting [to see] if we’re going to open this year,” Taylor said.

Jeremiah Grace, Connecticut State Director at the Northeast Charter Schools Network, released a statement in response to the Board's decision Monday afternoon, which reads, in part:

"We applaud the state board for keeping its commitment and extending this lifeline to 120 of the 1,300 New Haven children languishing on charter school wait lists. The founders of Booker T. Washington Academy have emerged from the FUSE episode with experienced new leadership and a plan for the future."

A release from the state Board of Education says the charter school aims to provide opportunity for students living in poverty, especially those growing up in the Dixwell-Newhalville neighborhood.

The school year begins Sept. 15.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Family Welcomes Back Stolen Puppy After Return


Fifteen-month-old puppies Katie and Khloe pick up right where they left off.

Three weeks ago, Katie was stolen when the Samuelsons' Millbury, Massachusetts, home was broken into.

The family was reunited with their puppy over the weekend.

"Huge relief," said Lori Samuelson. "It's just it's a miracle."

Millbury Police believe Katie may have been passed around to three different people in the time she was missing. She was eventually found in New Hampshire.

"I'm sure she's seen things," said Lori Samuelson. "We'll never know what she went through, but I know it wasn't great."

Police say finding Katie was a group effort. A joint task force of multiple departments met last week, investigating a rash of break-ins.

Shrewsbury Police recovered jewelry stolen from the Samuelsons' home. Sudbury Police identified a suspect in one of their house breaks as Hector Torres.

Pictures of a dog on his Facebook page sparked interest in the Millbury case.

"On that Facebook page, they found the dog, or what looked to be the dog," said Andrea Warpula of Millbury Police.

Worcester Police officers had seen Katie last week while serving a warrant, but didn't realize she was stolen.

"Second search warrant was done on that address specifically looking for the puppy," said Warpula.

When they went back, the puppy was gone, but after following more leads, police eventually found Katie, but no sign of Torres.

He's now a person of interest and wanted by Millbury Police for questioning.

"We know he was in possession of the dog, we also know he was in possession of some of the stolen jewelry," said Warpula.

The Samuelsons say they're grateful for everyone's help bringing their family back together.

"You know, all this terrible stuff going on, you see in the news and everything," said Eric Samuelson. "Then just a little dog, a little four-pound dog named Katie, brings everybody together."

"We will be spoiling her rotten for the rest of her life, no question," said Lori Samuelson. 

Photo Credit: NECN

Hartford Receives Four Proposals for Construction of Ballpark


The city of Hartford has released four responses to its request to develop the Downtown North area, which would include a new ballpark to potentially host the Rock Cats, if team goes forward with a plan to move from New Britain, according to a release from the mayor’s office.

“We’re excited about the redevelopment of Downtown North and the opportunity to utilize this property to its full potential, while strengthening and expanding the vitality of downtown Hartford,” Mayor Pedro Segarra said in a statement Monday, citing a boost to the economy and more family-friendly activities.

The city has not publicy identified the companies that submitted proposal, but the Bloomfield-based Thomas Hooker Brewing Company, which last month said it was eyeing plans for a 50,000-square-foot brewery and restaurant at the new Hartford stadium, said its proposal is among the four.

"We are not putting in a master [development] plan but rather we would like to be up and running day one with the ballpark," brewery President Curt A. Cameron told NBC Connecticut in an email Monday. "Our feeling is that by creating a fantastic attraction day one, it will help to ignite the spark and create a real excitement about the project and really get the ball rolling."

According to Thomas Deller, director of Development Services, the city is currently vetting the proposals to ensure they meet the criteria and will the analyze them to determine which would be the best fit for the city.

The City Council could receive a recommendation as early as September, according to the release.

Photo Credit: Thomas Hooker Brewing Co.

Reward Offered for Arrest in East Windsor Bank Robbery


Authorities are searching for the man who robbed an East Windsor bank at gunpoint last month, and a $5,000 reward is available for information leading to his arrest.

According to police, the suspect walked into the Nutmeg State Federal Credit Union at 127 Prospect Hill Road around 1:20 p.m. July 21. He took out what surveillance footage shows to be a small black semi-automatic handgun, then walked to the teller counter and demanded money.

He left on foot. A K-9 officer tracked him to the parking lot of a nearby Burger King, then lost the scent, police said.

Bank president and CEO John Holt said the suspect made off with a significant amount of money. Holt said the FBI is assisting East Windsor police with the investigation.

The suspect is described as a tall black man wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt with white laces, a white shirt and light-colored sweatpants with pockets. His face was covered with a dark mask up to his eyes, and he was wearing dark gloves and a dark-colored baseball cap with a gold circular sticker under the brim, according to police.

Anyone with information is urged to call East Windsor police Det. Scott Roberts at 860-292-8240 ext. 112 or email robertss@eastwindsorpd.com.

All calls will remain confidential.

Photo Credit: Nutmeg State Federal Credit Union

Charles W. Morgan Completes Voyage This Week


Connecticut's historic wooden whaling ship is returning to whence it came three months after setting sail for a tour of the New England coast.

Last week, the Charles W. Morgan arrived back in Connecticut, docking in New London on one of the last legs of its 38th voyage.

The 173-year-old ship then headed out to Long Island Sound for three days and is preparing for its return to Mystic Seaport, where it’s expected to arrive Wednesday.

The Morgan departed Mystic on May 17 and stopped at ports in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, including Newport, New Bedford, Provincetown and Boston.

A homecoming celebration will take place Wednesday in Mystic. Members of the public are invited to watch the 173-year-old ship’s return from Chubb’s Wharf and can head to Schaefer’s Spouter Tavern for food and beverages.

Reduced admission of $5 is available starting at 5 p.m. Children under the age of 6 and Mystic Seaport members get in for free.

The Morgan is set to enter the mouth of the Mystic River around 3:45 p.m. and arrive back at the seaport by 5:30 p.m., according to seaport spokesperson Dan McFadden. The ship will open to visitors on Saturday.

In the case of inclement weather, the Morgan will set sail from New London on Thursday or Friday.

You can track the Morgan’s progress online.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Vandals Strike in New London Neighborhoods


Police are searching for the people who tagged cars in a New London neighborhood with red-and-green spray paint and scrawled graffiti on a wall at Lawrence + Memorial Hospital.

Investigators believe local teenagers are responsible and could be members of a street gang.

Police reported about a dozen instances of vandalism Sunday night, including at least five properties on Ocean Avenue and others on Pequot Avenue.

Some of the paint spelled out vulgar words; others, such as the phrase “Tag-Z,” made little sense to homeowners whose properties were targeted.

Crews spent Monday power washing the hospital wall in an effort to erase the spray paint, but remnants remain.

Anyone with information about the vandalism should call New London police.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Windsor Locks Comedian Performs Live on "America's Got Talent"


Quirky comedian Darik Santos, of Windsor Locks, will take the stage Tuesday at Radio City Music Hall as the quarter finals continue on "America's Got Talent."

Santos is among the top 48 performers to make it to the live shows in New York City on their quest to win $1 million and the title of America's most talented act.

Santos, who now lives in Windsor Locks, was born in Providence and has performed stand-up comedy routines in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Connecticut, according to his bio on the show's Web site.

He's been performing for just over three years, his bio says.

Santos was joined by fellow Connecticut competitors Nick Fradiani, Nick Abraham and Ryan Zipp, of Beach Avenue, a band based in Milford, but the group was eliminiated going into the quarter finals.

Tune into NBC tomorrow at 9 p.m. to see Santos' live performance.

You can follow Santos on Twitter here.

Photo Credit: Facebook

IRS Scam More Aggressive and Prevalent


You paid your taxes months ago, but now people across the state are getting bogus calls, claiming they owe money to the IRS.

The scammers behind the calls are getting more aggressive.

Lorraine Cahill received several calls at her Rocky Hill home.

“They are persistent; they called me three times,” Cahill said.

The callers left voicemails on her answering machine, telling her she owes tax money to the IRS and warning her the issue is time sensitive. They threaten to take legal action if she doesn't pay up right away.

Cahill said she had a feeling it was a scam and refused to send money.

“I think it’s deplorable what they're doing they're preying on people,” Cahill explained.

The State Attorney General and Department of Consumer Protection are warning the public against falling victim for the scam, which has become more pervasive since the NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters first reported it in February.

“It’s an invasion of your privacy they’re calling you on your personal home phone,” Cahill said.

In some cases, the callers know your personal information, including the last four digits of your social security number and bank account number.

If you receive a scam call, hang up immediately and never send money, the IRS says. If you actually owe on your taxes, the IRS will mail you a written notification, and will never reach out through an unsolicited phone call.

Scam victims are encouraged to report calls to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.

Aqua Camp Submerges Teens into Marine Biology


Kids at Mystic Aquarium’s Aqua Camp  were in for a treat today as they traveled to Old Lyme to track snapping turtles.

They joined the Aquarium’s research team, who partnered with the Tributary Mill Conservancy and National Geographic to study the behavior of snapping turtles in the wild.

The lucky campers, ages 13 to 14, are part of a week long summer camp that submerges them into marine biology.

The campers are working in the field and tracking turtles with CritterCam, which is a revolutionary technology that allows researchers to track snapping turtles by attaching a small camera to their backs.

The program is teaching about turtle locomotion behavior in environments without human presence.

Mystic Aquarium researchers are collecting the turtle’s blood samples and nail clippings to help teach the campers how it relates to the health of the turtles and the ecosystem as a whole.

Snapping turtles are long living reptiles that can be found in various locations in Connecticut, including in marshes, creeks, swamps, lakes, streams and rivers. The slow-moving reptile can live in a mixture of water that is fresh and sea water.

The Aqua Camp kids get a chance to be a part of this study which will help reveal information about the environment that turtles live in.

The camp includes a sleep-over among the fish at the Aquarium where the kids build their own hydrophone. They are also able to eavesdrop on animals’various forms of communication.


"It's Not My Team Yet": Ballmer Speaks Out on Clippers Purchase


Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer broke his silence Monday on his pending purchase of the Los Angeles Clippers.

Ballmer said that the sale has yet to been approved by the National Basketball Association and he is waiting on the judge's final approval.

"It's not my team yet," Ballmer said in an interview with NBC-affiliate, King5.

Ballmer negotiated a $2 billion deal to buy the Clippers with Shelly Sterling to the objections of her husband Donald Sterling.

The purchase, which would be the priciest team acquisition in the league's history, must be approved by the 29 other team owners.

"It was my dream to have a team in Seattle," Ballmer said. "This was probably the best path for me to take."

Last week, a Los Angeles judge tentatively ruled against Donald Sterling and in favor of his estranged wife Shelly, in the trial over whether she had the authority to negotiate a $2 billion deal to sell the Los Angeles Clippers.

At issue was whether the embattled Clippers owner's wife had acted within guidelines established by the Sterling Family Trust when she negotiated the potential record-setting deal with Ballmer.

Ballmer said he dreams of having an NBA team in Seattle, but said he plans on keeping the Clippers in Los Angeles.

To see the full interview, click here.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live