NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Life Star Airlifts Injured Motorcyclist


Life Star airlifted a motorcyclist with life-threatening injuries  to Hartford Hospital on Friday night after a crash involving the motorcycle and another vehicle in Manchester.

Manchester police responded to the crash near the East Middle Turnpike and Main Street intersection at about 9:56 p.m. Police determined in a preliminary investigation that the motorcycle was heading northbound when it collided with a vehicle making a left-hand turn from Main Street onto the eastbound direction of the turnpike, according to Manchester police.

The motorcyclist, whose identity has not been released at this time, is listed in critical condition in the hospital, police said. Police have not released the identity of the other driver either, but reported that the individual was not injured.

"While very early in the investigation, it does not appear that speed and/or driver impairment were a factor in this crash," Manchester police said in a news release.

Manchester Police Department's Traffic unit and Metro Traffic Reconstruction Team responded and are investigating the crash.  Police ask that witnesses or anyone with information contact Officer Jason Moss at 860 645-5560.


Coast Guard Offloads $800K of Marijuana in Miami Beach


Approximately $800,000 worth of marijuana was offloaded by the U.S. Coast Guard in Miami Beach Saturday morning.

"The wholesale value is about $800,000 and obviously depending on where you're buying it, the street value is a little different," said Lieutenant Lloyd Belcher, U.S. Coast Guard.

The suspected smugglers went on a five hour chase with the Coast Guard and threw some of the contraband into the ocean, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

"The vessel was traveling at a high rate of speed with no lights on. It had a profile of what we call a go-fast, that's our term for a smuggling vessel," said Belcher.

Officials were unable to catch the vessel but did recover roughly 900 pounds of marijuana from the water. 

"No we haven't apprehended the suspects yet, but we still prevented $800,000 worth of illegal narcotics from coming into the states and that's a big hit from a business standpoint for these organizations," he said.

The Coast Guard's investigation into the suspected smugglers and their vessel is still ongoing at this time.

Serial Stowaway Gets Early Release From Jail


A serial stowaway who was sentenced this week to nearly six months behind bars for violating her probation was released from jail Saturday.

Marilyn Jean Hartman, 62, was released just after 6 p.m. from Century Regional Detention Center in Lynwood because of jail overcrowding, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said.

Sheriff’s officials said the decision to release Hartman was based on a formula that includes severity of crime and length of sentence.

Sheriff’s officials planned to inform Los Angeles International Airport police about Hartman’s release.

On Wednesday, a judge ordered Hartman to serve 177 days in jail for wandering through LAX terminals on Aug. 7 after being told the previous day to "stay away from LAX" and placed on 24 months probation.

Hartman was first arrested Aug. 4 at Los Angeles International Airport after Los Angeles police say she got through security at Mineta San Jose International Airport and boarded an LA-bound flight.

Hartman has previously breached security at San Francisco International Airport and has a history of trying to get on flights without a ticket, officials said. She had at least seven encounters with police at SFO and was arrested four times, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office.

UCLA Offers Financial Help to Flood Victims


UCLA says it will offer financial help to employees and students whose vehicles were damaged by a main break that sent about 20 million gallons of water onto campus last month.

The school is making interest-free loans of up to $5,000 available to about 100 employees who had parked into two campus lots inundated during the July 29 incident. The loans will be repaid over two years through payroll deduction, according to a news release.

In addition to the loans, school officials have emailed 260 vehicle owners, many of them students, to say that nearly $56,000 will be available from a UCLA Foundation emergency relief fund.

Parking structures 4 and 7 were drained and cleared of debris and nearly 1,000 vehicles that were stranded – some for nearly a week. Most of the vehicles were claimed and retrieved by owners, others were declared total losses.

The parking structures have been deemed safe by engineers, school officials said. Crews removed dirt and other debris that flowed into the parking areas that remain closed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

New Haven Man Killed by Stray Bullet on his Birthday


A 61-year-old man is dead after a stray bullet struck him while he was inside his New Haven home, according to police.

Police first received a 911 call at 1:50 a.m. to report gunfire on Valley St. and Strong St. Moments later, a woman called saying that her husband had been shot.

When police responded they  found Darryl McNair shot inside his home on Strong St.

Police say the man was apparently struck by a stray bullet inside an office area in his basement.

A friend of the family of McNair says that he was playing solitaire in his office when he was shot. Friends and family had been over the home to celebrate McNair's birthday earlier in the day.

He turned 61 years old today.

The friend says that people inside the house heard the sound of gunshots then heard McNair say "I'm hit." When family members ran into the room, they found McNair on the ground.

McNair was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital were he was pronounced dead.

Valley St. remains closed from West Hills Road to Park Side Drive while police investigate.



Decision 2014: General Election Challengers


Hear from the gubernatorial challengers on this week’s episode of “Decision 2014.”

Tom Foley and Heather Somers share how their business and public experience will benefit the state if they’re elected. The GOP primary winners speak with George Colli in their first joint and only one-on-one post-primary interview.

Also, potential third-party candidates Joe Visconti and Jonathan Pelto join Gerry Brooks in a spirited conversation on why they are more than just “spoiler” candidates.

The conservative Visconti and liberal Pelto are awaiting word on whether they received enough signatures to earn a spot on the November ballot. Their entrance into the governor’s race could have a significant impact on its tone and outcome.

In the third segment, CT Mirror’s Mark Pazniokas and CT News Junkie’s Christine Stuart analyze the primary night results and where the races go from here.

Episode 6: The General Election

  • WATCH: Tom Foley and Heather Somers in an exclusive sit-down interview with George Colli after the primary.
  • WATCH: Possible third-party candidates Jonathan Pelto and Joe Visconti tell Gerry Brooks why they should be taken seriously in the general election… if they make it onto the ballot.
  • WATCH: Veteran political journalists Mark Pazniokas and Christine Stuart wrap up primary week with Gerry Brooks.

Online exclusive

  • WATCH: Are Pelto and Visconti serious contenders? Gerry Brooks continues his conversation with Mark Pazniokas and Christine Stuart.


Native Tomato Shortcake With Basil Whipped Cream



Basil Whipped Cream

  • 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 1 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves-torn or slightly chopped


  • 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 2 ¼ tsp. Baking Powder
  • ½ tsp. Salt
  • 3 Tbsp. Sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. Butter-cold, cut into pieces
  • 1 Cup Milk-cold

Tomato Topping

  • 2 Cups Native Tomatoes-if cherries, split in half otherwise cut ½” pieces
  • 3 Tbsp. Fresh Basil-fine chiffonade or snipped with scissors
  • 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • To Taste Salt and Black Pepper


  1.  In a small pot, heat the whipping cream and basil until a gentle simmer. Turn off pot, cover and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain out the basil and chill the cream until cold.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9” cake pan with butter or vegetable spray. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the lemon zest and butter. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter, working until the butter is the size of small peas. Evenly moisten the mixture with the cold milk and gently mix until just combined using a rubber spatula. Do not overmix.
  3. Transfer the batter into the cake pan and level out. Tap on the table to remove air in the mixture. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until a very pale golden and when a toothpick at the center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack. Unmold in 15 minutes.
  4. While the shortcake is baking, combine the tomatoes, second measure of basil , and olive oil, seasoning to taste with salt and black pepper. Let sit and allow the salt to remove some of the juices from the tomato.
  5. When the basil cream is chilled, whip until soft peaks form. To serve, cut a wedge of the shortcake and cut the wedge in half crosswise. Place bottom piece on a plate, soak slightly with some of the tomato juice, and then the tomatoes and basil mixture. Top with the shortcake top. Garnish with the basil whipped cream and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Ranger Attacked by Skateboarder


Philadelphia Police are investigating a cell phone video showing a skateboarder kicking a city park ranger in his head and then spitting on the man in Philadelphia's LOVE Park Friday. The 35-year-old park ranger approached three teen skateboarders and advised them they could not skate in the park.

"I ain't (explective) leaving," said one skateboarder before punching the park ranger in the face and wrestling him to the ground.

The violent altercation occurred around 5 p.m. in the iconic Center City park, located at 15th Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard, according to Mariano Verrico, of Essex Fells, N.J., who caught the fight on camera.

"He got kicked in the head repeatedly and spit on," Verrico said. "When he was down towards the end..., the one kid who did everything leaned down and spit on him. It was really disgraceful."

Verrico stopped at LOVE Park, where police began enforcing a skateboarding ban in 2002, with his friends and cousins, who he was visiting for the day in Philadelphia, he said.

Police provided descriptions of the three skateboarders that day. Offender number one is 19-years-old, 5 feet 10 inches with dred locks. He wore a gray t-shirt and dark pants with red lettering on the front. The second offender is described as 19 to 20-years-old with a black t-shirt and black pants. The third offender is 19-years-old, 5 feet nine inches, and he wore a black-tshirt with a white design on the front. 

Sitting near the fountain, Verrico said he heard the park ranger warn several young men that they had to stop skateboarding in the park because there were too many young children in the area.

"Basically he was just doing his job," Verrico said. "His voice wasn't raised. He wasn't cursing."

One skateboarder punched the ranger -- who was standing next to a staircase -- and he fell backwards onto the ground, said Verrico, who added he was nervous to intervene since he was outsized.

The video shows the park ranger's hands raised in the air, but Verrico said the victim never threw a punch and only kept his arms up to defend himself.

"He never once tried to fight with the kid," he said. "He never threw any type of punch at the kid or said anything negative."

The assailant continues to attack the park ranger, kicking the man in the head as onlookers stood by. The ranger suffered injuries to his head, but is expected to be okay. 

Verrico said he accompanied the park ranger, and the victim's supervisor, to a Philadelphia Police Station and turned his video over to investigators. On Saturday, NBC10 sent the video to Central Detectives who were unaware of the incident at the time. They are currently investigating and seeking the three skateboarders.

NBC10 also reached out to the city's Parks and Recreation Department for comment. We have not yet heard back from them.

The incident is one of many reported between skaterboarders and authorities in LOVE Park in recent years.

Two skateboarders attacked another city park ranger in May 2004 when the official attempted to cite the pair and confiscate their boards. Years later, the dynamic reportedly flipped as police officers allegedly chased skateboarders down, tackled them and deployed Tasers.

While the skateboarding ban at LOVE Park is still in place, authorities often tolerate the young men and woman speeding past tourists and grinding their boards along the planters.

Councilman Jim Kenney suggested Philadelphia City Council alter the regulations to include space for the skateboarders to legally pop ollies in the park earlier this year.

Members of Kenney's staff told Philly.com in June that they are working to include a legal skate spot   in an already-established master plan to redesign LOVE Park. But the recent addition of the skateboard-friendly Paine's Park along the Schuylkill River Trail could lead city officials to curb suggestions from Kenney's office.

Contact Alison Burdo at 610.668.5635, alison.burdo@nbcuni.com or follow @NewsBurd on Twitter.

Photo Credit: www.youtube.com/user/marioucche

23 Injured in Pepper Spray Attack


At least 23 people were injured Saturday night when someone sprayed pepper spray during a family party on Chicago’s Southwest Side, according to authorities.

Police said the group was gathered outside at a backyard party around 11 p.m. in the 5000 block of South Rockwell Avenue in the city’s Gage Park neighborhood when someone sprayed pepper spray into the yard from a nearby alley.

Fire officials said it wasn’t immediately clear what the spray was, but that it was a “foreign substance.”

Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said 23 people, many of them children, were injured in the attack and transported to area hospitals.

The victims were treated and released from various area hospitals, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer.

Greer said no one at the scene was able to give a description of the suspect.

The Chicago Tribune reports the group was gathered for an anniversary party. A couple was celebrating 50 years of marriage with family and friends.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

5 Dead, 27 Hurt in Chicago Violence


Seven people were been killed and at least 29 others wounded in weekend shootings across Chicago.

Two people were killed and another critically hurt in what police said was a domestic-related shooting in Roseland late Sunday.

The incident happened just before 10 p.m. on the 400 block of West 104th Street, police said.

James Sterling, 37, who lived on the same block as the shooting, and 29-year-old Amy Holmes-Sterling, of the 300 block of East 53rd Street, were both pronounced dead at the scene at 10:26 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office. A 26-year-old woman whose name was not released was shot in the shoulder and taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

Police said the two women were related and that the shooting was domestic-related.

A man was shot and killed early Sunday in the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the West Side.

Police found 26-year-old Kardeon Glover, of the 4100 block of West Grenshaw, with a gunshot wound to the head on the sidewalk in the 900 block of North Karlov about 1:15 a.m., authorities said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A police source said the man had gang affiliations.

Two people were killed and a third was wounded in a shooting Saturday night in Logan Square.

The three people were in a vehicle in the 2300 block of North Springfield at 11:45 p.m. when someone walked up and opened fire, police said. The vehicle then struck several parked cars.

Jason Seballos, 16, was shot in the back and cheek and taken to Illinois Masonic, where he was pronounced dead. Damian Rodriguez, 21, was shot in the head and also taken to Masonic, where he was pronounced dead.

An 18-year-old man was shot in the finger and taken to Norwegian, where he was listed in good condition, police said.

A drive-by early Saturday claimed the life of 16-year-old girl who police said wasn't the gunman's intended target and who family members described as a straight-A student with dreams of becoming a forensic scientist.

On Friday, a 25-year-old man was shot to death a block from Chicago Police Department Headquarters in the city’s Bronzeville neighborhood.

The man was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound to the abdomen in the 3500 block of South Indiana at around 11:35 p.m.

Authorities said someone walked up and fired shots at him before fleeing the scene.

Other weekend shootings:

  • Authorities said a juvenile boy was shot in the chest just before 5 p.m. Sunday in the 700 block of East 50th Place. The boy was taken in serious condition to Stroger Hospital. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
  • Just before 4:30 p.m., a 21-year-old man was shot in a park in the 10400 block of South Union, police said. The man was in a park when someone walked up and fired at him, shooting him in the abdomen, according to authorities. The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition.
  • Around 10:40 a.m., a 24-year-old man walked into Metro South Hospital with a gunshot wound to the foot. The man was listed in good condition. Police said the man was shot in the 12200 block of South Emerald Avenue but did not have any details on how he was shot.
  • Around 4:35 a.m., police said a 23-year-old man was shot in the foot during a possible drive-by in the 2900 block of North Kimball Avenue. The man was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in good condition but was not cooperating with police.
  • Four people were shot around 2 a.m. in the South Chicago neighborhood. Police said the group was standing on the sidewalk in the 7900 block of South Merrill Avenue when three men approached on foot and fired shots at them. A 15-year-old boy with a graze wound to the leg, a 20-year-old man who was shot in the side and a 27-year-old man who was shot in the hand took themselves to South Shore Hospital for treatment. Both the teen and the 20-year-old man were listed in stable condition and the 27-year-old man refused treatment after arriving at the hospital. A 30-year-old man was also shot in the arm and toe and was transported by ambulance to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in stable condition.
  • A 24-year-old man was shot multiple times just before 2 a.m. in the 8700 block of South Union Avenue. The man suffered multiple wounds to both legs and his buttocks and was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition.
  • Just before 1 a.m., police said a 20-year-old man was shot in the leg in the 6300 block of South Albany Avenue. The man told police he was walking when he “heard shots and felt pain.” He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition.
  • Around 11:10 p.m. Saturday, a 16-year-old boy was shot in the leg in a possible drive-by shooting in the Washington Park neighborhood. The teen was walking near 51st Street and Wabash Avenue when shots were fired from an occupant in a passing light-colored vehicle, police said. The vehicle fled southbound and the teen was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in stable condition.
  • A few minutes after 11 p.m. two women were shot in the 2400 block of West Adams Street. The women were at an outdoor party when they “heard shots and felt pain.” A 41-year-old woman was shot in the lower back and a 45-year-old woman was shot in the leg. Both women took themselves to Stroger Hospital in stable condition.
  • About 15 minutes earlier, a 13-year-old boy was shot in the 1300 block of South Avers Avenue in the Lawndale neighborhood. The teen boy and his brother were involved in an argument with three other people when one of them pulled out a gun and opened fire. The boy was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital with a wound to the arm. He was listed in stable condition.
  • Around 9 p.m. Saturday an 18-year-old man was shot in the 0-100 block of East 37th street. The teen was shot in the buttocks during a possible drive-by and was transported in stable condition to Stroger Hospital.
  • Just after 5 p.m. Saturday, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the side while standing outside in the 500 block of North Hamlin Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital for treatment.
  • Just before 11:30 a.m. Saturday, a 33-year-old man was shot in the 9800 block of Avenue L. The man was outside when a dark-colored vehicle drove past and someone inside the vehicle fired shots. The man was shot in the chest and taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in stable condition.
  • About 15 minutes earlier, a 15-year-old boy was shot in a possible drive-by shooting the 8500 block of South Exchange Avenue. The teen was taken to Trinity Hospital in good condition with gunshot wounds to the arm and back.

At least eight others were shot overnight Friday into Saturday.

Instagram Threats Lead to Arrest


Authorities on Sunday arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection with threats posted to Instagram warning people living in the Santa Clarita Valley that there will be a “huge" shooting soon.

A search warrant was executed at a home less than 24 hours after the threats were made and investigators said no firearms were found there.

The teen, who is a student at a school in the Santa Clarita area, "acted alone and no actual plan to assault any students or school had been formulated," according to Lt. Brenda Cambra of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

"Based on statements made by the suspect, it appears he made these posts to get a reaction from friends on social media, realizing too late that the threats were being taken seriously," Cambra said.

The first of about 100 calls from concerned parents regarding the photos was reported to deputies around 10 p.m. Saturday. The posts included stock photos of guns, dead bodies and a school marquee.

“We are aiming our guns mostly at high school students,” read one caption. “Be ready because blood will be shed and families will suffer. No mercy will be shown. Slow and painful deaths will happen on a very dreadful day.”

“I must not tell you which day it will be, you will find out yourself,” the post continued.

Other threats contained within the posts were said to be sexist and racist, officials said. The Instagram account has since been deleted.

“I was kind of shocked, I was alarmed,” said student Antonio Curiel, a friend of the teen.

Investigators said there is no evidence that the person posting the photos has access to the guns. A photo bearing the school marquee for Valencia High School turned out to be of another school in another state, officials said.

The William S. Hart Union High School District -- which began classes on Thursday --  released a statement regarding the threats Sunday morning.

"This morning, we became aware of a threat that was posted on social media made against our high schools. We take threats of this nature very seriously and we are working closely with the LA County Sheriff’s Department," said Superintendent Rob Challinor. "Extra precautions will be taken to ensure the safety of our students and staff on all of our campuses, while this is being investigated. We are looking forward to a day of student learning tomorrow, as we begin the first full week of the new school year."

The case is currently under investigation and anyone with information is asked to call the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station at 661-255-1121.

The Instagram threat comes one month after social media accounts encouraged followers to send nude photos of teenagers in the Santa Clarita Valley. Officials could not say whether they were investigating the two incidents as being related.

"They should be safe and as parents we should be parenting our kids that if you're angry or kind of what are the boundaries of pranks," said parent Lori Scott.

Photo Credit: Lesley Vennero

Cop Saves Baby, Attends Her Wedding


A New York police officer who once saved the life of a baby girl more than two decades ago will attend her wedding Sunday in southwest suburban Palos Hills.

Joseph Barca, now a 45-year veteran and captain for the Yonkers Police Department, was on patrol more than 20 years ago when he received a call about a 2-month-old infant who had stopped breathing.

Less than a minute away, Barca raced to the scene where he began to perform CPR.

“I could tell the air was not reaching the baby’s lungs, I rolled her over, gave her four good back blows, I was able to get a lot of mucus out of her throat,” Barca said.

He then continued to perform CPR in the back seat of another squad car as they raced to the hospital.

“I could feel life coming back into the child,” he said.

Shammah Hamideh survived the incident and she and Barca have shared a special bond ever since.

“Her father told me that he’s her dad, he gave her life the first time, but I gave her life the second time,” Barca said, noting the family has since dubbed him Hamideh’s “American father.”

The two have stayed in contact over the years through phone calls and emails, and Barca’s family even sends her birthday and Christmas cards every year.

“They have never forgotten my birthday,” Hamideh said. “Every year they send me a birthday card and a check and a Christmas card and a check. I don’t even celebrate Christmas but it’s the thought that counts.”

Barca, who has three sons of his own, said he thinks of Hamideh as a daughter.

“It’s almost like one of my own getting married,” he said. “We have that special feeling, why it happened I don’t know... It’s just a strong bond.”

Hamideh agrees.

“He’s my hero,” she said. “There’s not much more I can say. He’s my hero and he means so much to me.”

Hamideh said Barca’s actions that day have inspired her to begin a career in the healthcare field.

“The way he saved my life, I would love to give back to people that way,” she said.

But Barca doesn’t see himself as the hero Hamideh says he is.

“I’m just somebody who had a lot of good training, fell back on my training and did it,” he said.

As for the Sunday ceremony, Barca said he anticipates being “misty-eyed,” but is excited and grateful to be a part of it.

Silver Alert Issued for Missing Clinton Teen


State Police have issued a Silver Alert for a 16-year-old boy missing from Clinton.

Samuel Foley, 16, was last seen on Friday at about 12:46 p.m. taking a Metro-North train from New Haven toward Grand Central Station in New York City, according to a missing person flyer posted family members shared on Twitter. He has special needs, according to the flyer.

Police classified him as an "endangered runaway" and described him as a white male with blonde hair and brown eyes. Foley is 5-foot-9 and weighs about 165 pounds.  He might be riding a grey, Trek bicycle and wearing a black helmet, according to police.

Clinton police ask anyone with information on his whereabouts to contact the department at 860-669-0451.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Clinton Police Department

Dad Killed Daughter Before Shootout


Prince George’s County police said a man killed in a shootout with police stabbed and shot his own daughter after taking her from a home.

Police said Frederick Roy Miller, 38, of Landover, Maryland, died during a police-involved shooting in Temple Hills Saturday afternoon. His 3-year-old daughter suffering from trauma to the upper body was discovered in the car Miller was using to try to escape.

Initial reports from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner show it appears Miller stabbed and shot his daughter.

The child’s maternal grandfather and great grandmother remain in critical condition. Police said they were shot by Miller at a home in the 4200 block of Farmer Place. Officers were responding to that scene when they began their pursuit of Miller.

At the intersection of Beech Road and Branch Avenue, Miller’s car lost a wheel. Investigators said he began firing his weapon at officers.

The car continues down Branch Avenue for a short distance where police and Miller exchanged gunfire again. During that incident, Miller was fatally struck.

The young girl was found in the car with her injuries. She was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.

Six officers involved in the shooting were not injured and are on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

The girl’s mother was not at the scene of the shootings and was found unharmed. Investigators still don’t have a motive for Miller’s actions

Photo Credit: NBC4 Washington

Man Dies After Motorcycle Crash in Litchfield


A man has died after crashing his motorcycle in Litchfield, according to state police.

Police say Jay Coffey, 50, of Watertown, was driving his motorcycle south on Northfield Road/Route 254 in Litchfield around 5 p.m. Sunday when he lost control and drifted off the roadway. He then struck multiple wood posts and was ejected off the motorcycle.

State police, Litchfield Fire, Litchfield EMS and Bantam EMS all responded to the scene. Coffey was then transported to Waterbury Hospital for life threatening injuries and was pronounced dead by hospital staff. Coffey was not wearing a helmet.

Anyone with information about this crash is encouraged to call state police troop L in Litchfield at 860 626 7900.

Northfield Road/Route 254 was closed in the vicinity of Jefferson Hill Road while police investigated.




Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Man Injured in I-84 Crash


A 75-year-old man was injured when his vehicle was struck by a mini-van on I-84 westbound in Waterbury, according to state police.

Police say Jeremiah Wallace, 75, of Waterbury, was driving his Honda CR-V in the right lane around 3:30 p.m. Saturday when a Chrysler Town & Country mini-van driven by Nicole Mullen, 35, of Waterbury, started to merge from the center lane and struck Wallace’s vehicle. Wallace then lost control of the Honda, which spun around and came to a stop blocking the left and center lanes of traffic, according to police.

Police say Wallace was transported to St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury where he was treated for non-life threatening injuries. Mullen refused medical treatment from EMS.

The mini-van Mullen was driving is owned by Helping People Excel Inc. of Meriden, a company that provides in-home nursing support services.

Police say charges are pending.

Derby Ave. in West Haven Reopens After Crash


A motorcycle accident closed Derby Avenue/Route 34 west in West Haven Sunday afternoon, according to police.

Police say the accident happened around 4:14 p.m. when a male motorcyclist was driving westbound on Derby Avenue and lost control of the motorcycle. He then struck the median guardrail.

The driver suffered a traumatic head injury and a female passenger suffered a broken arm and lacerations. Both were transported to area hospitals.

The westbound side of Derby Avenue was closed for several hours at Forest Road while the West Haven Major Accident Squad investigated.





Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Family Displaced After Fire in Southington


A Southington family of five is displaced tonight after a fire in a second floor bedroom.

Fire officials say they responded to a fire at 1487 Mount Vernon Road around 9 p.m. Sunday. Upon arrival all of the occupants were already out of the house. Firefighters rescued two cats from the home.

One firefighter was treated for a minor injury on scene. No other injuries were reported.

Fire officials say the fire was contained to the one bedroom, but the family is being relocated for the night.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Fire Displaces Three People


A house fire in Moosup early Monday morning has displaced three people.

Firefighters responded to a fire at 10 Bitgood Village in Moosup that started in the attic just before 3:30 a.m.

An elderly woman was transported to the hospital because she was having trouble breathing.

Firefighters extinguished the fire by about 4:48 a.m.

The fire remains under investigation, but fire officials said it appears to have started in a light fixture.

Mutual aid was required to put out the fire.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Stop Attempted Garden Shop Break-In: Cops


Police arrested a Middlefield man trying to break into a Clinton business early Friday morning after he resisted arrest and fought with officers, according to police.

Clinton police responded to Grove Garden Center at 341 East Main Street at 2:15 a.m. on Friday after receiving reports that someone was trying to break into the closed business. Several officers and a police dog set up a perimeter around the business and found Kyle Debernardi, 25, hiding in shrubbery on the west end of the property, police said.

He tried to flee and when police cornered him he resisted arrest, police said. Officers took him into police custody after he struggled with police briefly, he said.

Multiple officers sustained minor injuries.

Police charged him with third-degree burglary, third-degree criminal trespass, interfering with an officer and assault on a police officer.

Police held Debernardi on a $10,000 bond and he was scheduled to appear in Middletown Superior Court on Friday.


Photo Credit: Shutterstock
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live