Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Hartford Police Investigate Garden Street Shooting


Hartford police are investigating a shooting that occurred outside 646 Garden Street.

Police on scene say it happened around 10pm on Saturday. A male victim suffered a gunshot wound to the hip. His injuries are not life-threatening, according to police.

No arrests have been made and police have no suspects at this time.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

2 Kids Missing, Mom in Custody


A missing Maryland mother has been found and taken into custody -- but there is still no sign of her two missing children.

Police said Catherine Hoggle has indicated to police that the children are alive, saying, "kids are safe," but has not revealed where they are.

Meanwhile, police are unable to verify Hoggle's statements. Hoggle, who authorities say has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and had stopped taking her medication, has told varying stories about the children's whereabouts since their disappearance.

Saturday, Hoggle was formally charged with two counts of child neglect and with obstruction and hindering the investigation into the children's disappearance. Police said when she was spotted late Friday -- after a desperate search -- she tried to flee from officers.

Police also said Hoggle has altered her appearance by cutting her hair. They think she has been spending the last few days and nights on the streets, looking very disheveled when she was located.

Police had been searching for Hoggle for days, after her husband realized her children, Jacob, 2, and Sarah, 3, had not been seen for days.

Catherine herself had disappeared from a fast-food restaurant as she and her husband were on the way to report her children's disappearance to police.Late Friday, Montgomery County police tweeted that, at about 11:18 p.m., a tipster called 911 and said that Catherine was walking in the area of Century Rock Boulevard and Crystal Rock Drive in Germantown -- a location about a block away from the Chick-fil-A where she disappeared.

Police took Catherine Hoggle to police headquarters for questioning. They remained on the scene, searching the area and a nearby apartment complex with dogs.

Police are still searching for her two young children. Late Friday, police released a statement saying they "remain concerned for the children’s welfare."

Earlier Friday, Montgomery County Police had released surveillance video of Hoggle walking slowly through a Germantown office building around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.

That would be just hours after she slipped out the back door of the Chick-fil-A. Police say she later boarded a county bus near the restaurant, which is in the area of Route 118 (Germantown Road) between Interstate 270 and the Germantown Commons shopping center. She rode the bus to the transit center at the Lake Forest Mall in Gaithersburg and got off.

After that, the next sighting was on the videotape recorded early Tuesday. Police also found the contents of her purse in a bathroom in that building.

"We're working with the owners of that building, we're working with the people in that building to try and determine what it is that Catherine did inside there," said Montgomery County police Capt. Darren Francke. 

Meanwhile, family and friends are planning a candlelight vigil in the Chick-fil-A parking lot Saturday night.

Troy Turner, the children's father, said he's been looking for the three himself and passing out fliers around the clock. Family and friends have handed out more than 10,000.

Turner said he doesn't think Hoggle would hurt their children.

"Her thinking, in her right or her wrong mind, wouldn't do anything on purpose to harm the children," he said. "Whatever she's doing, she has a skewed version of reality. She believes she's protecting our children."

Police tweeted late Friday that they "remain concerned for the children's welfare" for the children. They planned to spend the day reviewing and discussing search efforts. There were no new searches planned for Friday unless authorities get new information. They plan to resume searching Saturday.

Police released a statement that reads in part:

Based on data and information gathered during the investigation, detectives have focused on areas of the County that they believe Catherine may have visited recently. Officers have searched these areas, looking for evidence that could assist detectives in locating the Hoggles. The search process is highly organized and systematic, conducted by police officers, and is overseen by the Montgomery County Police Department Search Team.

Before she disappeared, Catherine Hoggle told a convoluted story of where the children went.

Turner told police that while he was at work Sunday afternoon, Hoggle's father drove the family to Hoggle's mother's home in Gaithersburg. Hoggle then borrowed her father's car, a gray 2012  Nissan Rogue, and told her parents she was taking Jacob to get pizza.

She returned to the house three hours later without her son or any food. Hoggle told her parents she dropped off Jacob at a playmate's house and went back to her own home with her daughter.

Police determined Monday night that Jacob had never been at a friend's home.

Hoggle's daughter, Sarah, was last seen around 5:50 a.m. Monday, when Hoggle left their Clarksburg home with the little girl, telling Turner that she was dropping off the child at a daycare center.

When she returned home at 8:30 a.m., she told Turner that she had taken both Jacob and Sarah to the unknown daycare.

Police say that Turner, who works nights, hadn't known that Jacob had never come home after visiting his grandmother's house.

Later Monday, when Turner asked Hoggle about picking up their children from the daycare, Hoggle would not tell him where they were.

"We are about 1,300 strong on the police department, of men and women on the street," said Montgomery County Asst. Police Chief Russ Hamill. "We need the eyes and ears of the community to help us find these little children and bring them safely home."

Catherine Hoggle is 5-feet-6-inches tall and weighs 160 pounds. She has brown eyes and black hair. She was last seen wearing blue jeans and a black tank top.

Sarah Hoggle is biracial, 3-feet-6-inches tall and weighs 40 pounds. She has brown eyes and brown hair. Her brother, Jacob, is also biracial, and is 3 feet tall and weighs 25 pounds. He has brown eyes and a blond afro.

If you have seen Catherine Hoggle, Jacob Hoggle or Sarah Hoggle, police ask that you call 911 immediately. Anyone with information is asked to call 911 or the police non-emergency number (301-279-8000).

Family and friends have created a GoFundMe.com fundraising page to raise money for a reward for any information that leads to the return of the children.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC Connecticut

Tsarnaev Lawyers Posed as FBI


Russian authorities have told the US government that three members of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's defense team falsely identified themselves as FBI employees.

The allegation was made in a court filing in Boston on Friday.

The incident occurred while the defense was in Russia, allegedly to investigate the case.

The Russian government says that the lawyers told them "the official purpose of [their] visit [was] tourism."

Tsarnaev's lawyers allegedly refused to produce documents confirming their legal status and identified themselves as employees of the FBI.

Tsarnaev, 21, could face the death penalty for his alleged role in the bombings.

The finish line of the Boston Marathon was bombed on April 15, 2013, killing three people and injuring more than 260. 

Fire Rips Through North Haven Home; 1 Dead


One person is dead after a fire ripped through their North Haven home early Sunday morning.

Fire officials were called to the 1700 block of Hartford Turnpike just after midnight. When they arrived, just three minutes later, they found a man and a dog unharmed outside of the home.

That man was awoken from his sleep by a smoke detector and was able to call 911 and escape the fire.

After crews knocked down the blaze, they discovered the male victim in the basement, where the fire started. He was already deceased by the time firefighters could get to him.

"We found fire in the basement, contained to just one room," said North Haven Fire Chief Vincent Landisio. "Upon search of the base and extinguishment of the fire we did locate a victim, a second person who was unable to get out."

Though they are not releasing the name of the victim, Landisio says that both men were residents of the home.

The cause of the fire is under investigation by the North Haven fire department and state police.

Teen Assaulted Pregnant Woman: Cops


A Chicago teen has been charged after a pregnant Chicago State University student was attacked and forced into the trunk of her car earlier this week, police said Saturday.

The 17-year-old from the 600 block of East 100th Street, was charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated criminal sexual assault with a weapon, and armed robbery.

A 24-year-old criminal justice student was parked on the 9800 block of South Indiana Avenue and was trying to load something into her trunk when a man approached with a knife and ordered her into her car, the woman's father, Robert Perkins, told NBC Chicago. The attacker drove to an alley and sexually assaulted her before forcing her into the trunk of her car.

"She was in the trunk and she said the first thing that popped in her head was [me telling her about the] trunk release," Perkins explained. "And she looked up and saw the trunk release and that's how she was able to get out.'

The victim, who is four months pregnant, was eventually able to pop the latch to the trunk and a neighbor spotted her trying to get out of the trunk. The neighbor then called authorities, who were still searching for the attacker on Thursday morning.

"The trunk popped open and the young lady was screaming 'Help me," said witness George Simpson.

Perkins said his daughter was able to provide a good description of the attacker.

In a statement, a Chicago State University official said the administration was "saddened" by news of the attack and that their "collective hearts go out to the victim."

Thomas Wogan said the university has offered counseling and support services to the victim and her family and was working with campus and city police to help bring the attacker to justice.

The teen was charged as an adult and is expected to appear in bond court Sunday.

Judge Dared to Give Death Penalty


“Honestly and truly, I’m not asking you to spare me,” said convicted murderer James Herard. “Go ahead and do what you gonna do. I pretty much dare you to give me the death sentence because I’m innocent.”

Those were the words Herard spoke Friday during the sentencing phase of his trial. Herard was convicted of murdering two people during a string of Dunkin’ Donuts robberies in 2008.

“I’m actually hoping you give me the death penalty because I know the Supreme Court won’t allow me to die for something I didn’t commit,” Herard said Friday.

Herard, 25, was convicted on 18 of 19 counts by the Fort Lauderdale jury in May. The same jury that convicted him has recommended the death penalty for Herard.

Prosecutors say Herard didn’t pull the trigger in the 2008 murder of 39-year-old Eric Jean-Pierre. But, they say he, along with other members of a gang, were part of a “body count competition” and Herard pushed Tharod Bell to murder Jean-Pierre.

“They’re claiming I encouraged Tharod Bell to shoot someone, and how I did that, I don’t know,” Herard told the court.

Throughout Friday’s hearing, Herard’s defense team brought up numerous people, many convicted felons, who say Herard is a motivator, tutor, and counselor to them. The testimony brought Herard’s mom, who was in the courtroom to tears.

Herard was previously convicted of the murder of 58-year-old Kiem Huynh in 2008. He received sentences of life imprisonment for Huynh’s death.

Herard made national news when he barked like a dog during an appearance before Broward Circuit Judge John Hurley after his arrest.

Photo Credit: NBC6.com

Four Hospitalized, 2-year-old Critical, After Bridgeport Fire


Four people were hospitalized after an early morning two-alarm fire in an apartment building in Bridgeport.

Firefighters responded to 223 Washington Ave at 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning. When they arrived, residents were evacuating  down a fire escape and out the front door.

Firefighters learned that there were people still inside the building, including inside the apartment where the fire started.

They entered the building and rescued at least four people. They also entered the apartment where the fire was located and rescued several victims, including a two year old child girl.

The child was flown to Shriners Hospital and is listed in critical condition. Her mother is also listed in critical condition.

The fire was contained to one apartment and is under investigation. 

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Six Flags Power Outage


A power outage occurred at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson Township, New Jersey Sunday afternoon. Jackson Township Police say the outage occurred after a transformer blew around 2 p.m.

"Paramedics started running through the park," said Al Moore, a visitor at the park. "Then ambulances and fire trucks showed up in the parking lot."

The park staff told visitors that the electricity went out, however the lights were still on in restaurants and shops, according to Moore.

"The staff also was telling people to stop taking pictures and video on their cellphones," Moore said.

Moore also told NBC10 a section of the park was roped off near Skull Mountain.

No one was stuck on any rides and no one was injured, according to police. Police also say that while parts of the park have power, they're unsure if its been restored to the rides.


This story is developing. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Anonymous

No Bail for Teen in CSU Attack


A pregnant Chicago State University student who was kidnapped and sexually assaulted, told her teen attacker she was pregnant, showing him her stomach, but was still forced to take off her clothes, prosecutors allege.

The teen, identified in court as Aaron Parks, 17, from the 600 block of East 100th Street, was charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated criminal sexual assault with a weapon, and armed robbery. He was charged as an adult and was ordered held without bail.

A 24-year-old criminal justice student was parked on the 9800 block of South Indiana Avenue and was trying to load something into her trunk when a man approached with a knife and ordered her into her car, the woman's father, Robert Perkins, told NBC Chicago. The attacker drove to an alley and sexually assaulted her before forcing her into the trunk of her car.

"She was in the trunk and she said the first thing that popped in her head was [me telling her about the] trunk release," Perkins explained. "And she looked up and saw the trunk release and that's how she was able to get out.'

The victim, who is four months pregnant, was eventually able to pop the latch to the trunk and a neighbor spotted her trying to get out of the trunk. The neighbor then called authorities, who were still searching for the attacker on Thursday morning.

"The trunk popped open and the young lady was screaming 'Help me," said witness George Simpson.

Perkins said his daughter was able to provide a good description of the attacker.

On Sunday, prosecutors offered graphic details surrounding the attack.

Officials allege the victim told her attacker she was pregnant, showing him her stomach before the assault, but was still forced to take off her clothes. The offender also stole $160 from her pants and forced her in the trunk of her car, prosecutors said.

"What kind of woman raised an animal like this?" said rape victims advocate Dawn Valenti.

Officials said in court the teen was on an electronic monitoring system for an aggravated kidnapping two months ago. He was also awaiting sentencing for a charge of aggravated armed robbery.

"She was tortured," said community activist Andrew Holmes. "In my view, electronic monitoring failed completely."

In a statement, a Chicago State University official said the administration was "saddened" by news of the attack and that their "collective hearts go out to the victim."

Thomas Wogan said the university has offered counseling and support services to the victim and her family and was working with campus and city police to help bring the attacker to justice.

Prof. Shares "Unbelievable" Story of Finding 9/11 Photo Owner


It was a simple message about a photo found in the ashes.

Elizabeth Stringer Keefe posted this message on social media every 9/11, hoping to find the people in the photo. But each year, nothing happened.

"I thought, 'Why not? I'm going to do it one more time everywhere.' And I saw it getting retweeted," said Keefe.

And soon, the professor at Lesley University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, realized this time was different.

"I think a half an hour later, I knew it was going to happen," she said. "It was so exciting. I start to tear up when I think about it. It started to go viral, so I stayed up all night and just watched."

More than 6,000 tweets later, one message from Fred Mahe changed everything.

"He sent me a very cryptic message," said Keefe. "It just said, 'I know the people in the message, give me a call.'"

So she did.

"When he answered the phone, he said his name, and I said, 'This is Elizabeth Stringer Keefe,'" she said. "He paused for a minute and said, 'You are awesome.'"

A friend of  Keefe found the photo at ground zero, just a few weeks after 9/11. Keefe made it her mission to find out the story behind it.

"I said, 'Are you in that photo?' And he said, 'That is my photo,'" said Keefe. "It was unbelievable, I immediately started crying."

Mahe worked in Tower Two. He had just come off the subway when the building was hit. The photo, taken at his friend's wedding, was tacked to his desk on the 77th floor.

Mahe now lives in Colorado, and all six people in the photo are alive and well.

"On 9/11, like you, I saw the worst of humanity. The absolute worst. But on 9/12, I saw the best," said Mahe. "And the photo mystery was solved on 9/12."

"Finding Fred, and being able to return this particular photo to him, is unbelievable," said Keefe.

Keefe and Mahe will meet for the first time Monday in New York.

Photo Credit: Elizabeth Stringer Keefe

Actress: I Was "Humiliated" by LAPD


An actress who had a part in the film "Django Unchained" claimed on Facebook that she was "humiliated" and forced into handcuffs by two Los Angeles Police Department officers for publicly showing affection to a companion in Studio City Thursday.

In the Facebook post, which had nearly 2,000 shares by Sunday, actress Daniele Watts says she was put into a police car after refusing to agree that she had done "something wrong by showing affection, fully clothed, in a public space."

"I allowed myself to be honest about my anger, frustration, and rage as tears flowed from my eyes," Watts wrote on Facebook. "The tears I cry for a country that calls itself 'the land of the free and the home of the brave' and yet detains people for claiming that very right."

Police said Sunday that they responded to a report of indecent exposure in the 11900 block of Ventura Boulevard when they came across Watts. LAPD's Sally Madera said a citizen reported seeing a couple engaged in a "sexual act" in a car.

"The citizen who called the police to complain told the 9-1-1 operator that a male and a female were involved in indecent exposure inside a silver Mercedes with the vehicle door open," police said in a statement.

A responding sergeant and officer questioned Watts and her companion, who matched the suspect description. Police determined no crime was committed and the couple was released after a brief detainment, officials said.

Watts told NBC News Sunday that she and her partner were kissing inside their car at the CBS lot when they were approached by a man in a suit who asked them to leave because "employees were distracted." The couple stopped after a few minutes and police arrived shortly after, Watts said.

When they asked for identification from Watts, she refused and walked away from the officers. Watts said that's when she was handcuffed and put into the police car.

"I burst into tears. I was afraid because of all the things happening in the country right now," Watts told NBC News.

Police said an internal investigation has been launched into the incident.

"The cops are on thin ice here," said NBC4 legal analyst Royal Oakes. "California does not have a law that lets the cops force you to identify yourself, so to the extent the cops hassling this actress tried to get her to give her name and she said no, she had a right to remain silent."

"She may have a basis for a civil rights action, an action saying that the police stepped over the line," Oakes added.

Gadi Schwartz contributed to this report.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC Connecticut

Photo Credit: Facebook

Batman, Spider-Man Arrested in NYC


Two costumed characters were arrested in Times Square Saturday night after police say they got into a fist fight with another man. 

All three men were charged with misdemeanor assault, officials said. According to the New York Post, the altercation started after 41-year-old Jose Escalona-Martinez and 35-year-old Abdel Elkahezai, who were dressed as Batman and Spider-Man, allegedly confronted a man who was heckling them around 10:25 pm near 44th street and Broadway.

Saturday's arrests were the latest in series of arrests involving costumed characters in Times Square. Earlier this month, Woody, Minnie Mouse and the Statue of Liberty were all arrested in Times Square after they allegedly asked tourists to pay for pictures, the NYPD says. 

The people portraying the characters were all cuffed on aggressive solicitation charges after a run-in with a family of tourists Wednesday night.

The three characters posed for photos with a man, his wife and two children and allegedly demanded $5 in tips, police say. The family refused and told nearby officers, who made the arrests.

The arrests come amid calls to regulate the costumed characters in Times Square. One city lawmaker recently proposed licenses for the characters, and police have begun handing out fliers and posting signs in five languages telling visitors that tips are optional.

The crackdown followed a string of harrowing incidents in which some of the characters assaulted tourists, including children. Others harassed people and groped women. The face-offs peaked when a Spider-Man demanding money punched a police officer telling a woman she was not obliged to pay.

Last month, many of the buskers who don the costumes held a press conference where they argued they deserved a right to earn a living.

2 Dead, 12 Hurt in Chicago Violence


Two people were killed and at least 12 others were injured in weekend violence across Chicago, police said.

A 28-year-old man was killed after being shot in the 4100 block of West 16th Street in the Lawndale neighborhood just before 2 p.m. Sunday.

The man was shot in the chest after someone in a grey minivan opened fire at him. Police said the man was taken to Mount Sinai hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Around 3 p.m. Saturday, a 17-year-old boy was fatally shot in the 3900 block of South Prairie Avenue. Few details were released surrounding the shooting but officials said the incident appears to be gang-related.

The teen was shot in the head and taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in critical condition but was later pronounced dead.

On Sunday, a 29-year-old man walked into Mount Sinai Hospital with a gunshot wound to the left hand. He was listed in good condition and told police he was shot in the 1800 block of West 16th Street.

An 18-year-old boy was shot in the ankle in the 6900 block of South Eggleston Avenue just after 11:30 a.m., police said. The teen was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in good condition.

The teen told police he was walking on the street when a red car approached and someone inside the vehicle opened fire.

A 30-year-old man was shot around 2:15 a.m. in the 4100 block of West Adams Street. The victim told police a man exited a gangway and fired shots in his direction.

The victim was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital with wounds to the leg and foot. He was last listed in stable condition.

Also on Sunday, two people were shot on area expressways within two hours, according to authorities.

Around 3 a.m., a driver was shot on the city’s South Side while traveling on the Dan Ryan Expressway between 76th and 79th streets, according to Illinois State Police.

The driver exited his vehicle at the 79th Street exit and called 911, officials said. Another person inside the vehicle then drove away in the car.

The victim, whose age was not immediately known, was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center for treatment.

About two hours earlier, a man was shot on the outbound Kennedy Expressway on the city’s West Side.

The man, whose age was not immediately known, was traveling in a red Ford Mustang northbound near Fullerton when a car pulled alongside and someone opened fire, state police said.

The victim was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center with several gunshot wounds. His condition was not immediately known.

On Saturday, a man was wounded in a police-involved shooting after he allegedly hit a squad car with his vehicle and attempted to flee.

Police said the incident took place in the 2300 block of West Lake around 10:15 p.m.

The officer was transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where his injuries were believed to be non-life threatening.

The offender was shot multiple times and was taken to an area hospital.

Just before 8 p.m., a 17-year-old boy and a 20-year-old man were wounded in a shooting in the 1700 block of North Kimball. Both suffered gunshot wounds to their legs and were taken in stable in condition Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center. The two told police they were standing outside when they “heard shots and felt pain.”

Around 12:40 p.m., a 39-year-old man was shot during an attempted robbery in the 5600 block of South Prairie Avenue. The man was getting out of his car when another man walked up and announced a robbery, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Janel Sedevic. The victim was shot in the stomach and the man fled the scene. It was not immediately clear if he stole anything from the victim, police said.

The victim was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in stable condition.

Around 1:30 a.m. Saturday, two people were shot while inside a building in the 1800 block of West 87th Street.

Police said a shooter fired from outside the building and two victims suffered graze wounds.

A 23-year-old woman suffered a graze wound to the leg while a 42-year-old man was grazed in the head by a bullet. The woman refused treatment at the scene and the man walked into Advocate Christ Medical Center where he was listed in good condition.

On Friday night, a 27-year-old man was shot on the city’s West Side.

The man was standing on the 1700 block of North Mason Avenue with a group of friends when a man walked up and opened fire.

The victim was shot in the arm and leg and was taken to West Suburban Medical Center in good condition.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC Connecticut

Vigil Held for 3 Infants Found Dead


Mourners gathered with heavy hearts and teary eyes at a vigil Sunday to remember three infants found dead in a squalid home in Blackstone, Massachusetts last week.

"Those babies," said Blackstone resident Dorothy Harvey. "Just discarded like nothing. They were human beings, too."

"I can't even imagine," said Bob Wolford, a father. "It's unfathomable."

Crews cleaning the house found more cat and dog remains on Sunday.

As investigators search for answers in the disturbing case, the community searches for peace.

"Thank God for that neighbor who told her side of the story," said Emily Colton.

That intervention possibly saved the lives of four other children found living inside the home.

"It's so hard as a mom that this tragedy could happen and that we didn't know," said Harvey.

Members of the community lit candles and released lanterns to the sky at the vigil, holding their own children a little tighter, thinking of those who never had a chance and praying for those who now have a second one.

Navy Pilot Killed in Crash ID'd


The Navy has identified the pilot killed in a fighter jet crash as a man from Southern California.

Lt. Nathan Poloski, 26, is presumed dead after an extensive search of the Western Pacific Ocean, according to the U.S. Navy. Poloski is a native of Lake Arrowhead in San Bernardino County.

Two F/A-18 Hornets apparently collided on Sept. 12 about 250 miles west of Wake Island, approximately 2,300 miles west of Honolulu. The pilot of the other plane was rescued.

The Navy suspended the search for Poloski Saturday after covering 3,000 square miles of vast ocean, according to the Navy. The search included the San Diego-based Carl Vinson Strike Group, a P-8 Poseidon aircraft and satellite imagery.

Both jets involved in the crash belonged to Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 94, Carrier Wing 17, based in Lemoore, California. They were assigned to USS Carl Vinson, which left San Diego last month for a nearly 10-month deployment.

Poloski’s commanding officer said the Naval Academy graduate “was an outstanding person, naval officer and aviator.”

"My personal thoughts and prayers are for his family, friends and shipmates as they endure this immeasurable loss," said Cmdr. Michael Langbehn, commanding officer of VFA 94, in a statement Sunday.

The Navy is investigating what caused the crash. Navy officials said the jets had "launched from the flight deck and were in the process of proceeding to their initial stations when they apparently collided approximately seven miles from the ship."

Photo Credit: Facebook

Gas Leak Fixed After Car Crashes Into Milford House


A 17-year-old driver crashed into a house in Milford overnight, causing a gas leak.

Gas company employees responded to 9 Ludlow Drive and fixed the leak.

The residents have been allowed to return to their home and neighbors in surrounding homes were asked to stay inside.

The car was cleared from the scene.

There is no word on whether there were any injuries.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Men in SUV Grabbed Wesleyan Student: Police


Middletown police are investigating after a Wesleyan University student was assaulted early Sunday morning.

A white SUV approached the student on Church Street around midnight on Sunday and several men grabbed the person, police said.

Wesleyan Public Safety officers later found the victim and police will be increasing patrols in the area.

Anyone with information about the incident or who witnessed it should call Middletown police at 860-638-4000.


Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Motorcyclist Killed in Trumbull Crash


A motorcyclist has died after being hit by a car in Trumbull on Sunday morning, according to police.

A 48-year-old man was driving a motorcycle on Church Hill Road just after 10 a.m. on Sunday when an 88-year-old woman driving a 2013 Honda Civic hit him at the Quality Street intersection, according to police. 

The woman was trying to make a left hand turn from the northbound lane of Church Hill Road onto Quality Street when she hit the motorcyclist, police said.

Church Hill Road was closed near Quality Street for several hours.

Police have not released the names of either person involved in the crash.

The Trumbull Police Department Traffic Accident Investigation Unit is investigating with assistance from the Monroe Police Department.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Wood Stove Could Have Started Barn Fire in Woodstock: Homeowner


A wood stove might be to blame for a barn fire in Woodstock on Monday morning, according to the homeowner.

Fire caused extensive damage to the barn in the 1000 block of Route 197 and officials said it was tough to get water to the structure because of the location.

The barn is set away from the home and no residents or pets were injured, officials said.

Firefighters left the scene by 11 a.m. Bungay and Muddy Brook firefighters responded to assist Woodstock firefighters.

The fire started on a chilly morning, where temperatures dipped into the low-40s.

No additional information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Apartment Building Evacuated After Basement Fire


Residents have been evacuated from an apartment building at 8 Concord St.  in West Hartford after a small basement fire.

A resident called the fire department after seeing smoke.

The fire was short-lived and firefighters put it out before 8:45 a.m.

Firefighters went through decontamination as a precaution because of possible asbestos in the basement.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live