Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Soccer Coach Sent Teens Obscene Video: Police


A varsity girls' soccer coach at E.O. Smith High School has been arrested and fired after allegedly sending an "improper video" to a number of minors through a smart phone application.

Police said on Friday that 57-year-old Jeffrey Sirois, of Lebanon, sent an "improper video" through a photo app called Snapchat to a number of teens, including 14- and 16-year-olds.

"They weren't sure if it was on purpose or if it was an accident," said high school junior Hunter McKinney, who has friends on the varsity girls' soccer team. "But they all kind of were freaked out about it too."

He has been arrested and charged with impairing the morals of a minor, two counts of obscenity and two counts of breach of peace.

Supt. Bruce Silva said Sirois was terminated from his coaching position on Thursday. According to the superintendent, Sirois was not a teacher and was never in a classroom setting.

"Prompt and immediate action was taken when the School became aware of this matter," Silva said in a statement Friday. "The Board shares the concern that parents and the public at large will have in receiving this news. The Board has always, and will continue to, uphold high standards for its staff and anyone working with children."

Silva said the Board of Education is cooperating with investigators and added that "internal disciplinary proceedings and well as criminal proceedings" are pending.

"I couldn't believe something like this happened here because our school is such a nice place," said E.O. Smith sophomore Anna-Maraya Bellizzi.

Police began investigating after high school officials contacted them late last month. Authorities confirmed the investigation on Wednesday but released very limited information about the circumstances surrounding it.

Neighbors said Sirois also owns a local market and deli and were surprised to learn about the investigation into his conduct.

"I know he's coached girls' soccer for a number of years and the kids always enjoyed him as a coach, from what I understand," said Mike Okonuk, Sirois' neighbor in Lebanon.
NBC Connecticut spoke with Sirois' wife, who confirmed Wednesday that her husband was under investigation following an "inappropriate" incident, but declined to elaborate on the details.

"He's also a referee," Marilu Sirois said. "So soccer really is his life. I'm the soccer widow. It's been my nickname in his pool forever."

She also would not comment on her husband's employment with the school and said she had not been contacted by authorities at that point.

Sirois is being held on $100,000 bond and is due in court Monday.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com/Southeast Soccer Club

Man Stabbed in Convenience Store Brawl


A 25-year-old man was hospitalized after a stabbing during a fight at a Bristol convenience store early Saturday morning.

A verbal confrontation between two groups of men at Fast Freddies Convenience Store at 201 North Street in Bristol grew physical. One of the men was stabbed in the back with "an edged type of instrument," police said. The incident happened at 1:17 a.m.

The suspects fled in a black Jaguar in the northbound direction on Burlington Avenue, police said.

An ambulance transported the victim to Waterbury Hospital and he is listed in stable condition.

No arrests have been made at this time and police are still looking for the suspects.

The Bristol Police Department's patrol and criminal investigation divisions continue to investigate the case.

Police ask anyone with information about the incident to contact Bristol police at 860-584-3011.

Driver Dies After Norwalk Rollover Crash


A 27-year-old male driver died in a crash in Norwalk Friday night.

Norwalk police officers responded to the area of 5 Beach Road in Norwalk on Friday at 10:38 p.m. to investigate the crash.

Officers found rollover crash when they arrived. Driver John Soyland, 27, of Norwalk, was "partially ejected" from the vehicle and Norwalk firefighters were treating him at the scene, police said.

Norwalk EMS transported Soyland  to Norwalk Hospital, where he later died. He was the only occupant of the vehicle.

Soyland was driving northbound on Beach Road when he veered off the roadway, according to a preliminary investigation. His car struck several objects in his path and rolled over on the southbound side of the road, police said.

Police continue to investigate the crash.

Enterovirus' Role in Child's Death


A New Jersey child who tested positive for a virus causing severe respiratory illness across the country has died, although it's not clear what role the virus played in the child's death, state health officials said Friday.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told New Jersey health officials that a Mercer County child tested positive for enterovirus 68 and died last week, the state Department of Health said in a news release.

Department spokeswoman Donna Lensner would not provide any other specifics about the child, although she confirmed the death is the first in New Jersey of someone who tested positive for the virus since early August, when health officials around the country noticed a spike in harsh respiratory illnesses in children. They determined enterovirus 68 was to blame.

"Our thoughts remain with the family at this very difficult time," said New Jersey Health Commissioner Mary E. O'Dowd. "While the child has tested positive for EV-D68, the cause of death has not yet been determined and it is unclear if EV-D68 played a direct role or was a contributing factor in his death."

The CDC says at least four people in the U.S. infected with the virus have died, all in September, but the agency also stresses it's not clear if the virus caused the deaths. It has sickened at least 500 people in 42 states and Washington, D.C. -- almost all of them children.

The New Jersey department said the CDC also reported another confirmed case of the virus in a Middlesex County child, bringing the total count in the state to nine people who have been infected with enterovirus 68. Those cases are in Camden, Burlington, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Essex, Passaic and Sussex.

The enterovirus germ is not new; most people who catch the virus experience only a runny nose and low-grade fever. It was first identified in 1962 and has caused clusters of illness before.

This year, the virus has gotten more attention because it has been linked to hundreds of severe illnesses. Beginning last month, hospitals in Kansas City, Missouri, and Chicago have received a flood of children with trouble breathing.

To avoid getting the virus, health officials recommend:

  • Wash hands with soap and water.
  • Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid kissing, hugging, and sharing cups, plates and utensils with people who are sick.
  • Disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as toys and doorknobs, especially if someone is sick.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

NJ Child Died from Enterovirus D68


Officials announced Saturday that enterovirus D68 is the cause of death for a 4-year-old New Jersey boy, who died Sept. 25, and disclosed that another child from the same school is exhibiting similar symptoms.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told New Jersey health officials Friday that a Mercer County boy -- the youngest of triplets -- tested positive for enterovirus 68, but they were unsure what role the virus played in his death at that time.

But late Friday evening, the family, who asked for privacy, learned the virus took the life of 4-year-old Eli.

"It was because of enterovirus D68," said Kelly Yaede, mayor of Hamilton Township, New Jersey, while speaking on behalf of the boy's family. "Please extend to the township our sincere appreciation ...for support our children and schools."

"They will have to deal with the cavernous void of losing Eli for the rest of their lives," she said. "We are 90,000 residents and we will stand behind them til they don't need us anymore."

Officials are unsure how the deceased child became infected with enterovirus D78, but they said young children are most likely to catch the virus, which has sickened at least 500 people in 42 states and Washington, D.C.

"Older children and adults have natural immunity acquired over time to defend it," said James Parla, superintendent of the Hamilton Township School District, while relaying information from the CDC.

Eli was last at school Sept. 19, Parla said. Since then, the district has added extra staff to his school so additional cleaning services could be implemented, but another boy has shown similar symptoms, he said.

"There is another case that the CDC is testing in Hamilton for a child that was in the same school, in the same grade and different class as the child that died," Yaede said. "That child has not been in school for the last two weeks."

That boy was admitted to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick, where he received treatment before returning home to continue his recovery, he added.

Health officials conducted tests for the virus Thursday and his family is still waiting on results, he said.

The New Jersey department said the CDC also reported another confirmed case of the virus in a Middlesex County child, bringing the total count in the state to nine people who have been infected with enterovirus 68. Those cases are in Camden, Burlington, Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Essex, Passaic and Sussex.

The enterovirus germ is not new; most people who catch the virus experience only a runny nose and low-grade fever. It was first identified in 1962 and has caused clusters of illness before.

This year, the virus has gotten more attention because it has been linked to hundreds of severe illnesses. Beginning last month, hospitals in Kansas City, Missouri, and Chicago have received a flood of children with trouble breathing.

To avoid getting the virus, health officials recommend:

  • Wash hands with soap and water.
  • Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid kissing, hugging, and sharing cups, plates and utensils with people who are sick.
  • Disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as toys and doorknobs, especially if someone is sick.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

No Sign Ebola Has Spread in US: CDC


Nine people known to have been in close contact with a Dallas Ebola patient don't have any symptoms, Tom Frieden, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Saturday during a news conference.

Thomas Eric Duncan, who arrived in Dallas from West Africa, and is the first person diagnosed with Ebola virus in the United States, is in critical condition, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital said Saturday afternoon. Duncan's nephew Josephus Weeks told NBC News Saturday that his uncle is on a ventilator. He's been in isolation in the ICU Since Sunday, Sept. 28.

The CDC has assessed 114 people who may or may not have had exposure to Duncan, according to Frieden. About 40 of those people may or may not have had contact with Duncan and they are being watched as a precaution. Nine individuals are considered high-risk, including family members of Duncan's household and healthcare workers who had definite contact with Duncan are also among those being closely monitored, Frieden said. None of them have a fever or other symptoms of Ebola.

The diagnosis of the first case in the U.S. has increased attention to travel history of patients being admitted to hospitals. The CDC said it expects to see more rumors and concerns and possibilities of Ebola. The CDC, Texas Department of State Health Services and Dallas County authorities said Satuday protecting the public is a priority.

Duncan tested positive for Ebola less than two weeks after he arrived in the U.S. from West Africa, health officials confirmed Tuesday. He initially sought care at a hospital Sept. 25, shortly after showing symptoms, but was released. He returned Sept. 28 and was flagged as a potential Ebola case. 

"There were things that did not go the way they should have in Dallas," acknowledged Fauci, director of NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. "But there were a lot of things that went right and are going right."

Friday night, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital released a statement contradicting information it released Thursday night.

Originally the hospital said a flaw in its system prevented Duncan's physician from seeing his travel history as recorded by a nurse. Friday night, the hospital said there was no flaw in the system, although it's unclear what that means.

NBC 5 has asked the hospital to clarify and still awaits a response.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

5 Teens Dead in Crash


A 16-year-old boy behind the wheel of a BMW that crashed in Orange County early Saturday, killing five teenage passengers, did not have a license to drive, the California Highway Patrol said.

The teenagers were on the southbound 5 Freeway in Irvine returning home from a night at Knott's Scary Farm, a Halloween-themed event in Buena Park, when the white sedan struck a guardrail, rolled off an embankment and became fully engulfed in flames, investigators said.

Three of the victims were identified by Billy McNicol, the Mission Viejo Soccer Club program director, as Alex Sotelo, Matthew Melo and Brandon Moreno, all between 14 and 15 years old.

The driver, identified as Bradley Morales, was taken to Children’s Hospital of Orange County. He was recovering after undergoing surgery for injuries to his head, hospital officials said. He’s in serious condition.

The single-car crash was reported just after 2 a.m. just south of Alton Parkway Drive, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Shane Sherwood said. The crash sparked a small brush fire that was extinguished in less than 30 minutes.

Four teens were found dead inside the car and the 16-year-old driver was found outside the car about 50 yards away, investigators said.

The body of another teen was discovered inside the vehicle several hours after the crash, bringing the death toll to five.

The bodies were so badly burned that the Orange County coroner will have to positively identify them through dental records.

What led up to the fatal crash was not immediately known.

OCFA Capt. Steve Concialdi said that the driver told responding firefighters that the group was coming home from Knott's Scary Farm when the crash occurred.

“On Tuesday night, I overheard Matt and Alex talking about Knott’s Scary Farm and how they were going to go Friday night,” said a teammate of the victims, Nick Scapone.

Lanes were closed on the 5 Freeway as authorities investigated the crash.

Photo Credit: Southern Counties

Drill Stages Accident, Active Shooter Situation


It looked like a real life disaster. A car on fire, a bus turned over on its side and injured students, but it was all part of a drill for Newington First Responders.

They staged the accident mass at the Old Cedar Crest Hospital, and also held an active shooter drill in the building.

It was so realistic, teenager volunteers acted as injured students.

“We’ve got a lot of make up on ourselves, some fake blood,” Veronica Latewiac.

“I’m just supposed to lie down in a bus, I’m still alert,” volunteer Olivia Karanian said.

Newington’s Assistant Fire Chief, Tom Lapierre, says the goal is to practice working with other departments in case of a real emergency.

“We have outside ambulance sources, we have the police department the fire departments and our own ems volunteers and we need to see that we can all work together,” he said.

Officials say the drill is the first of its kind in Newington, and they hope identify areas of improvement now , before a real emergency.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Traveler Shows No Ebola Signs: Hosp


A sick passenger and a companion evaluated after their flight from Brussels arrived in Newark Saturday do not show signs of Ebola and will not be tested for the deadly virus, officials said.

University Hospital in Newark, where the two people were taken after federal health officials met their flight, released a statement saying the individual who had vomited on the flight had symptoms consistent with a different, minor condition. The other passenger was asymptomatic, the hospital said.

The two will be released with continued monitoring. The CDC referred questions to the hospital.

The more than 200 passengers aboard were allowed to leave the aircraft after initially being asked to stay in place while medical personnel boarded to assist the sick traveler, United Airlines said.

The plane, United Airlines Flight 998, was carrying 255 passengers and 14 crew members, the airline said.

The scare comes amid concerns that the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa could be spread by international travelers.

The first person diagnosed with Ebola in the United States went to a Dallas hospital last week but was mistakenly sent home, despite revealing that he was visiting from Liberia. U.S. health care officials have said the American health system is equipped to prevent an outbreak in the U.S.

Photo Credit: AP

Police Investigate Death Threat to Harvard Community


Hundreds of Harvard University students and affiliates of the school received an emailed death threat on Friday.

In the email, the author threatened to come to the campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, "tomorrow" and shoot the email recipients.

Campus police immediately launched an investigation. Other local law enforcement agencies were notified. The FBI was made aware as well.

Police say investigation indicated that the email originated overseas and believe the threat may not be credible; however, Harvard says they take the email seriously and will still have an increased police presence across campus over the weekend.

Community members are asked to call the HUPD at 617-495-1212 if they observe any suspicious activity.

Stolen Art Worth A Lot: Cops


Police believe some stolen artwork found in the home of two people accused in last weekend's high-end watch heist at a Rush Street jewelry store could be worth millions.

"Some items are autographed and there are watermarks stamped onto pieces, which authenticates them," said Chicago Police Sgt. Lawrence Coleman. "We've talked to FBI, special agents have been over here that does the analysis of artwork."

At least two items, believed to be original artwork by Amedeo Modigliani, could be valued at up to $1 million each, detectives said.

The paintings are part of a treasure trove of loot found in a home in the 3400 block of North Rutherford after the home owners were among four people charged in an alleged Eastern European burglary ring busted by police this weekend. 

Officials did not find the stolen watches in the North Rutherford home, but they did stumble across many more items they believe were stolen. Now, they are trying to find those goods' owners.

Among those goods were 29 framed paintings, 18 candle holders, five complete sets of antique china, nearly 60 men's designer suits, a large box of bootleg DVDs, musical instruments, flatscreen televisions and several framed prints of Pope John Paul II.

Artist Susan Wolkoff stopped by the 18th District Police Station Saturday where she says she discovered seven pieces of her original artwork that went missing from a suburban restaurant months ago.

I was thinking why would they want to take my art, but they did," she said. "This is a happy story for us. I'm happy to have them back."

Police say they are working with FBI officials and the Art Institute of Chicago to identify authentic artwork.

Four people were arrested and charged this week after police say they stole more than $400,000 worth of merchandise from a display cabinet at B. Young & Company before fleeing in a minivan. Exclusive video obtained by NBC 5 shows a man prying open the case and another man grabbing seven watches.

Police say the items they found in the suspects' home were stolen from both businesses and residential homes. Some retailers, including Armani and Neiman Marcus on the Magnificent Mile, have already identified items stolen from their stores.

Chicago police are encouraging victims of burglaries in the Near North Side 18th district to visit the station at 1160 N. Larrabee this week to claim any stolen items. You must bring proof of purchase.

The items will be on display Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Anna Straus, 35, of the 3400 block of North Rutherford; Glowacka Xagniezska, 36, of the 3400 block of North Rutherford; Damian Duitlow, 41, of the 4200 block of West Wrightwood; and Ian Kowolski, 50, of an unknown home address, were identified as suspects in Saturday's burglary at B. Young & Company. The group was charged with one felony count each of burglary and theft of items valued between $100,000 and $500,000.

The suspects' defense attorney says his clients, some of whom have been deported multiple times, identify themselves as Roma, an ethnic group whose members are concentrated in eastern Europe.

The group was nabbed with help from a special Illinois State Police unit investigating Roma-associated crimes called the Ruse Burglary Task Force. Police say the group is part of an Eastern European burglary ring.

"It appears that this crew was active here in Chicago and across the Midwest, and may have also been involved in other major thefts and burglaries across the country," police Cmdr. Eugene Roy said.

Rain Forces Closure of Apple Harvest Festival


Rainy weather forced organizers of the Apple Harvest Festival in Southington to cancel today’s festivities. But that didn’t stop dedicated fans from feasting on fritters.

The festival takes up two weekends every autumn and attracts as many as 100,000 visitors annually. It was originally scheduled to be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday at the Southington Town Green, but heavy rains forced organizers to postpone opening the festival, according to the festival’s facebook page. Organizers eventually decided to cancel the entire days’ worth of events, which included fireworks that have been rescheduled for October 11. The festival will reopen at noon tomorrow.

But those who came out for the famous apple fritters were not disappointed – the booth run by the Zion Lutheran Church remained open and sported long lines despite the dreary weather. It will remain open until 9 p.m. tonight.

For more information about the festival, click here.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Texas Rep. in Hospital After Crash


Texas Rep. Ralph Hall (R) is in the hospital after a wreck Saturday afternoon.

Hall was being driven by friend Howard Zielke, 73, south on Texas 121 when 23-year-old Zachary Bohannon turned left in front of Hall's vehicle, Texas Department of Public Safety officials said. Hall and Zielke had just attended the Fannin County Parade.

Paramedics said Hall was conscious and joking with them as they airlifted him to Medical Center of Plano.

Hospital spokeswoman Joy Dover told NBC 5 that Hall is in stable condition. The press release stated that Hall sustained a hip injury as well as minor cuts and bruises.

Zielke was taken to a McKinney hospital for undisclosed injuries, DPS officials said. There is no word yet on Bohannon's condition.

At 91-years-old, Rep. Hall is the oldest-ever member of the U.S. House of Representatives.

When he was a boy working in a pharmacy near Dallas, Hall had a brush with Bonnie and Clyde when they stopped to buy cigarettes.The notorious bank robbers later died in a a shootout with authorities.

Last May, Republican primary challenger John Ratcliffe defeated Rep. Ralph Hall in the first runoff he'd ever faced.

Stay with NBC 5 and NBCDFW.com for updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

Snow Hits Chicago Early


Looks like Mother Nature isn’t going to let Chicago forget that winter is coming.

The city saw light snow Saturday morning, marking one of the earliest snow sightings on record.

The earliest snow spotting in Chicago is Sept. 25, which occurred in 1928 and again in 1944, according to the National Weather Service.

Saturday’s snowflakes mark the third earliest snow sighting since the city began recording.

The Rockford area also spotted snow Saturday morning, marking their second earliest sighting. The record was set in 1951 when the area saw snow on Oct. 3.

But the snow wasn't the only weather element the Chicago area made the record books with this weekend.

The city set a temperature record with O'Hare Airport recording a high of 47 degrees, marking the lowest maximum high temperature in 79 years, the NWS reported. The previous record, set on October 4, 1935, was 48 degrees.

The average high temperature in Chicago for the month of October is 62 degrees. The average low temperature is about 43 degrees.

Blame Saturday's cold snap on winds from the west-north-west brought in by a system that dropped significant rain on the Chicago area early Friday morning.

We're in the range of calendar days when we could see our first fall freeze.

Winds Saturday morning kept frost away from the area despite the snow, but with temps dipping into the 30s overnight and very little wind forecast, the area could see pieces of patchy frost. Temperatures could dip below 32 degrees in some areas.

A Frost Advisory was issued Saturday night for several Illinois counties and parts of Northwest Indiana.

The earliest a fall freeze ever happened in Chicago was on Sept. 22, 1995. The latest that's ever happened was the 30 degrees reached on Nov. 24, 1931, according to records provided by the National Weather Service.

Sunday looks to recover slightly with partly sunny skies and a high of 56 degrees.

The city will return to near-normal temperatures at the start of the work week with highs forecast in the low- to mid-60s for much of the week.

Man Dies While in Police Custody


The State’s Attorney’s Office and State Police Major Crimes Unit are investigating after a man died in police custody in New London.

The suspect, identified as Lashano Gilbert, 31, was initially taken into custody around 7 p.m. Friday on carjacking charges.  New London police say Gilbert was in an altered state of mind and acting aggressive, forcing them to deploy a Taser. Gilbert was transported to a local hospital for treatment and medically cleared before being transported to the New London police department, according to police.

New London police say around 3 a.m. Saturday the suspect was in a holding cell when he removed his pants and began twisting them as though making a rope. Police opened the door to retrieve the pants, fearing Gilbert may harm himself.

According to police the suspect then rushed the door and escaped into the common booking area. A struggle ensued, which ended when an officer used a Taser on Gilbert to regain control of him.

Gilbert was being transported by ambulance to L&M Hospital when he became unresponsive. Hospital staff were unable to revive him. The Chief Medical Examiner will conduct an exam to determine the cause of death.

Three New London police officers were also transported for injuries and later released.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Former Ebola Patient Hospitalized


Dr. Rick Sacra, the Massachusetts doctor who was treated for and recovered from Ebola, is in a Worcester hospital because of respiratory health concerns, officials announced Saturday.

The University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center confirmed to NECN Saturday night that Sacra was the patient they were examining for a potential case of Ebola, saying he was being treated for "what appears to be an upper respiratory infection."

The hospital says that it is working with the Centers for Disease Control and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

"Dr. Sacra is in stable condition and being monitored carefully," said Dr. Robert Finberg in a statement from UMass Memorial Medical Center. "We're waiting for final test results from the CDC which we expect to receive late Monday."

UMass Memorial said that Sacra would be isolated until the nature of his illness is confirmed.

According to SIM USA, the mission with which Sacra traveled to Liberia before contracting the illness, officials are concerned he may be developing pneumonia.

SIM quotes Dr. Phil Smith of Nebraska Medical Center, where Sacra was treated for Ebola, as saying it is extremely unlikely that Sacra would have a relapse of Ebola.

"Because of his recent battle with the Ebola virus, his immune system is compromised," said Smith according to SIM. "The symptoms he has are indicative of a respiratory illness and are not those of someone suffering from Ebola."

NECN will have more as this story develops.

Photo Credit: NECN

Police Arrest Hartford Shooting Suspect


Police arrested a Hartford shooting suspect and he is facing further charges after officers found an illegal firearm, heroin and marijuana in his apartment while executing a search warrant.

Jose "Cheo" Rodriguez, 38, of 665 Garden Street, Apartment 10, Hartford, is facing multiple charges including assault and operating a drug factory.

Police identified Rodriguez, a convicted felon, as a suspect in a shooting at his address at 11:56 a.m. on Sept. 26. The department obtained an arrest warrant for Rodriguez on charges of first-degree assault and firearm-related charges on Oct. 2.

Special Operations detectives searched his home, where police believed he was hiding, on Oct. 3 and found an illegal firearm and a significant amount of heroin and marijuana. A child was also present at the home when police arrived.

Police seized a .40 caliber Smith and Wesson pistol with two magazines totaling 24 rounds, 9 millimeter and .40 caliber ammunition, 651 bags of packaged heroin, 22 grams of raw heroin, 65 bags of marijuana, $800 in cash and drug packaging material.

The Emergency Response Team, Homeland Security Investigations, Drug Enforcement Administration officials, a shooting task force and State Police assisted in the search of the home.

Police charged Rodriguez with first-degree assault and possession of a pistol without a permit. He also faces charges listed in a separate case of criminal possession of a firearm, possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, possession with intent to sell within 1,500 feet of a school zone, possession of a controlled substance, possession with intent to sell a controlled substance, operating a drug factory and risk of injury to a minor.

Police did not say when Rodriguez is due in court.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Person Shot in Brawl at West Haven Pub


One person was shot in a brawl outside a West Haven pub early Saturday morning.

West Haven police responded to the Central Pub at 555 Campbell Avenue at 2 a.m. on Saturday to investigate a report of a person shot. 

Police chased after a grey BMW leaving the scene as they arrived and the car crashed into another vehicle at Campbell and York Street. The second vehicle fled the accident site. Police are not looking for the second car and do not believe that it was connected to the shooting.

Officers found a 21-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the abdomen inside the BMW. Police learned that the man was shot in a fight that broke out  within a big crowd in the parking lot as the bar was closing.

The driver of the BMW told police that his friend was shot in an altercation at the pub.

An ambulance transported the gunshot victim to Yale-New Haven hospital. West Haven police said he has not been cooperative.

Police said the victim underwent surgery but did not have information on his condition Saturday morning.

No arrests have been made at this time and police are still searching for a shooting suspect.

The shooting incident remains under investigation. Police were still on scene at 5 a.m. in the parking lot behind the bar investigating.

This is not the first time there has been a shooting at the location. Jaymar Spain, 23, was shot and killed last December after a fight inside the bar when it was called the Lager House.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Silver Alert Canceled for 82-Year-Old


State Police have canceled a Silver Alert for an 82-year-old Danbury man.

Carsten DiCarlo, 82, had gone missing on Oct. 4, last seen wearing a green sport coat and driving a 2011 black Mercedes GLK with Connecticut plate 261ZRT. State Police said he has since been located.

State Police described him as a white male with brown hair and eyes who is 5-foot-11 and weighs 155 pounds.

Decision 2014: Herbst Calls Nappier Out for Avoiding Debates


On this week’s episode of "Decision 2014," we take an in-depth look at the two gubernatorial debates held this week.

The first debate was held Tuesday at the University of Saint Joseph in West Hartford, and the second took place Thursday at the University of Connecticut in Storrs.

Todd Piro breaks down the highlights – and lowlights – from both debates.

  • WATCH: Todd Piro breaks down the two gubernatorial debates from the last week.

Christine Stuart analyzes the debates with George Colli.

  • WATCH: George Colli and Christine Stuart discuss the nasty tone of the gubernatorial campaigns and if the candidates admitting they’ve smoked marijuana matters with voters.

And GOP candidate for treasurer Tim Herbst tells George Colli that incumbent Denise Nappier is avoiding him and refusing to take part in any debates.

  • WATCH: GOP treasurer candidate Tim Herbst tells George Colli his opponent, Denise Nappier, is avoiding him and any potential debates.
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live