Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

5 Dead in Maryland Crash


Five people, including two children, died following a crash Friday night in Oxon Hill, Maryland, said Prince George's County Police.

A roadside memorial sprang up over the weekend, set up by strangers saddened by the accident's deadly toll.

The accident was reported around 9:40 p.m. Friday at Livingston Road and Livingston Terrace. Preliminarily, police believe the driver of a Mercedes rear-ended an Acura that had stopped at a traffic light.

Of the five people inside the Acura, only the driver survived. There were three people in the Mercedes; a female passenger was killed.

The driver of the Acura remains in guarded condition. The driver of the Mercedes is listed in critical condition. The ther passenger from the Mercedes is hosptialized with non-life-threatening injuries.

According to Prince George's County Assistant Fire Chief Paul Gomez, crews had initially responded to the scene for a car fire.

The names of the victims are being withheld until all family notification have been made.

Police said speed and the weather may have been factors in the deadly crash.

Baby Killed by Stray Bullet


A 15-month-old baby girl was shot and killed by a stray bullet while she was with her parents in their Irvington apartment Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

Police said it appears the bullet that struck the girl entered from outside the second floor apartment where she lived at 84 Ellis Avenue.

Her parents rushed her to Newark Beth Israel Hospital where she was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.

The Essex County Homicide Task Force is investigating the incident. There is no motive or suspects at this time.

The Essex County Sheriff's Crime Stoppers is offering $10,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible.

Residents Continue to Fight Planned Propane Storage Facility


Despite the efforts of some residents in North Branford, the town's attorney rejected a petition aimed at blocking a propane storage facility.

Neighbors say they're disappointed but not defeated, and on Saturday many of them met to discuss their next steps including the possibility of suing the town.

"In no means are we defeated. This is just, as far as I'm concerned, a bump in the road," said Doreen Currie of North Branford.

At a Tuesday night town council meeting residents turned in the petition filled with more than 1,000 signatures asking the council to hold a referendum to repeal a zoning regulation allowing for bulk propane storage which could lead to a 60,000 gallon propane facility being built on Ciro Road.

"Sixty thousand gallons. It's like a nuclear weapon," said James Flaherty of North Branford. "I was appalled. I'm thinking, what is the possible benefit?"

Days later the town attorney delivered his decision saying the petition asked the council "to perform an act beyond the scope of its legal authority."

"I was disappointed but not surprised," said Currie.

Neighbors say one "no" won't stop them. They've hired an attorney and are already looking into starting a different petition while working to gather further support. When asked if they were looking into the possibility of a lawsuit, neighbors say they were pursing every avenue including litigation.

NBC Connecticut reached out to the town attorney, mayor, and councilmembers but no one was available to comment Saturday.

Neighbors say the fight has just begun.

Man Arrested in Massive Calif. Fire


Investigators in Northern California believe they have put the man responsible for the destructive Boles Fire behind bars.

Police in Weed, California Saturday morning arrested a 24-year-old man, who has been a person of interest throughout the entire investigation. His name is Ronald Beau Marshall, and he is being held on several felony charges, including arson of an inhabited structure and arson of a forest.

The arrest was part of a joint effort between Weed police, the county sheriff’s department, and Cal Fire investigators.

In September, the fire destroyed about 150 homes and forced more than a thousand people to flee the town.

Photo Credit: Weed Police Department

Ebola Fight: Health Care Workers Face Risk


The development that a Texas health care worker tested positive for Ebola after caring for a patient who died of the virus in Dallas highlights the high stakes risks such workers face in combating Ebola's spread.  

Texas officials confirmed early Sunday that the worker, who has not been identified, preliminary tested positive for the virus and was placed in isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. The employee had come in contact with Thomas Eric Duncan, the man who fell ill and was treated for the virus there after traveling to Texas from his native Liberia. Duncan succumbed to the disease on Oct. 8. 

The latest diagnosis raises questions about how the health care worker was exposed to Ebola, which can only be transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids of a person showing symptoms. Officials said Sunday the employee had followed full Centers for Disease Control and Preventions protocol for interacting with Duncan by wearing a gown, glove, mask and shield. 

The chief of the CDC said the agency is "deepy concerned about this new development." 

"Infections only occur when there's a breach in protocol," Dr. Thomas Frieden said in an interview on CBS' "Face the Nation." "We know from many years of experience that its possible to care for potentials with Ebola safely without risk to healthcare workers. But we also know that it's hard, that even a single breach can result in contamination and one of the areas that we look at closely are things like how you take off the gear that might be infected or contaminated."

He said officials will also look into whether certan aspects of Duncan's treatment such as dialysis and intubation may have resulted in the spread of infectious materials. 

Texas officials said Sunday that all workers have followed the CDC-recommended precautions. They are still looking to identify the point of exposure. 

"We dont have a full analysis of all of the care, we’re going through that right now to try to understand specific elements of who came in contact with Mr. Duncan around what circumstances on what day et cetera. But we are confident that the precautions we have in place are protecting our health care workers," said Dr. Daniel Varga, chief clinical officer for Texas Health Resources. 

The infected health care worker was one of 18 employees self-monitoring for symptoms of the virus by taking a temperature twice daily. That process caught the patient's low-grade fever Friday night, leading the worker being admitted to the hospital and put in isolation in the span of 90 minutes, officials said. A close contact of that worker was also admitted as a precaution. 

“We’ve known that further cases of Ebola are a possibly among those who have been in contact with Mr. Duncan before he passed away last week,' Varga said. "The system of monitoring, quarantine and isolation was established to protect those who cared for Mr. Duncan as well as the community at large by identifying potential Ebola cases as early as possible and getting those individuals into treatment immediately." 

The state is also bringing in additional epidemiologists and disease-detecting resources to closely monitor the health workers officials are continuing to watch. Frieden said the CDC is closely watching all workers who came in contact with Duncan. 

The CDC says health care workers and others caring for the sick are at  "highest risk" for exposure, due to increased chance they will come in contact with fluids. 

Hundreds of such workers have fallen sick across the globe. 

In late August, the World Health Organization called the "high proportion" of doctors, nurses and heath care workers infected "unprecedented." At that point, the virus had sickened more than 240 health care workers in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, claiming the lives of more than 120. 

The first person to become infected outside of West Africa was a Spanish nurse's aid who had cared for a priest who died of the virus. One of her doctors said last week that her gloves may have touched her face when she took off her protective gear. 

Two American aid workers, Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol, also contracted the virus while caring for sickened patients in Liberia. They survived after receiving treatment in the United States. 

Photo Credit: AP

New Ebola Case in Texas


A health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas who provided care for Thomas Eric Duncan, the Ebola patient who died there earlier this week, is in isolation after testing positive for Ebola in a preliminary test at the state public health laboratory in Austin.

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said Sunday the unidentified health care worker is a "heroic" person who "was proud to provide care to Mr. Duncan." 

Another test to confirm the diagnosis will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.

CDC director Tom Friedman said testing will be completed later Sunday.

"At some point there was a breach in protocol and that breach in protocol resulted in this infection," Friedan said.

"The level of her symptoms, and indications from the test itself suggest the level of the virus that she had is low," Frieden said.

The worker is in stable condition. Jenkins said the health care worker's family has requested privacy because they are "going through a great ordeal."

"While this is bad news, this is not news that should bring about panic,"  Jenkins said. 

The state health department said the worker reported a low grade fever Friday night and was isolated at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas and the preliminary test result was received late Saturday.

"The entire process from patient's self-monitoring to the admission into isolation took less than 90 minutes," Dr. Daniel Varga with Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas said at a news conference Sunday morning.

Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas said a close contact of the health care worker has already proactively been put into isolation at the hospital. The 24-bed Intensive Care Unit at the hospital is being used as an isolation unit.

Mayor Mike Rawlings said the health care worker lives in an apartment complex in the 3700 block of Marquita Avenue in Dallas.

Rawlings said Dallas-Fire Rescue crews have cleaned and decontaminated open areas of the complex.

A reverse 911 call went out at 7:15 a.m. Sunday to alert neighbors. Rawlings also said materials about the virus were placed on peoples' doors in the area.

Rawlings said there is a pet inside the apartment and that they "have a plan to take care of the pet."

The car the health care worker drove the hospital has been decontaminated and secured. Rawlings said everything the new patient touched has been decontaminated to ensure everyone's safety.

Texas Department of State Health Services said "contact tracing" has begun. Health officials interviewed the health care worker and are identifying any other contacts or potential exposures.

Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas said the health care worker was involved in Duncan's care on his second visit to the hospital. Duncan, from Liberia, was the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S. He died from the virus on Oct. 8.

The hospital said the worker followed all Centers for Disease Control protocols in caring for Duncan, including wearing gloves, gown, mask and shield.

Health care workers, among the 48 already being monitored, will be monitored twice daily, Jenkins said. Nineteen people are in charge of the monitoring, Jenkins said he asked for additional CDC help at midnight and workers had arrived in Dallas. None of the rest of the monitored people have shown symptoms of Ebola.

Ebola is spread through direct contact with bodily fluids of a sick person or exposure to contaminated objects such as needles. People are not contagious before symptoms such as fever develop.  

"We knew a second case could be a reality, and we've been preparing for this possibility," said Texas health commissioner Dr. David Lakey. "We are broadening our team in Dallas and working with extreme diligence to prevent further spread."

Varga said the emergency department at Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas is on diversion, meaning ambulances will not bring new patients to the ER, but the hospital will continue to care for the patients at the hospital.

Frieden said four things are being done now --  caring for the health care worker, assessing her contacts from the moment she showed symptoms, evaluating other health care workers for exposure, and investigating how it happened to make sure it doesn't happen in the future.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Life Star Airlifts State Trooper to Hospital After Crash


Life Star airlifted a state trooper to the hospital Friday night after she crashed in her cruiser on Route 66 in Columbia, according to State Police.

Trooper Stacy Clark was driving eastbound on Route 66 in Columbia to respond to a domestic incident when she veered off the right shoulder in her cruiser and struck a tree, according to State Police. The crash happened three tenths of a mile east of the intersection with Hunt Road at 10:38 p.m.

Life Star transported Clark to Hartford Hospital to be treated for injuries including possible injuries to her left arm, State Police said.

The State Police cruiser, a 2011 Ford Crown Victoria, was heavily damaged on the left side of the car that hit the tree and was towed from the scene.

Clark was wearing her seat belt and her airbag deployed in the crash, according to State Police.

It's unclear at this time what caused the crash. State Police from Troop K in Colchester are investigating the accident.

She is expected to recover and be released soon from the hospital, according to State Police.

Clark works at State Police Troop K.

Check back for updates.

Goldy's Serves Last Breakfasts


A New London favorite is serving its last breakfasts Sunday morning.

The doors at Goldy's Restaurant opened for the last time at 7 a.m. and the crowds are coming in for a last meal and to say their goodbyes.

The restaurant was established in the 1980s and a mother and daughter took over the business a few years ago. They are closing their restaurant after receiving an offer to buy the property that they could not refuse.

Sunday is about the food and celebrating the restaurant that so many have come to love over the years.

What We Know About 1st Ebola Case Contracted in U.S.


Officials announced Sunday that a female Texas health care worker who provided hospital care for Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan has tested positive for the virus, marking the first known case of the disease being contracted or transmitted in the United States. 

Here's what we know so far about the health worker. 

How Did the Worker Contract Ebola?

The worker came in contact with Thomas Eric Duncan during his second visit to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sept. 28, Dr. Daniel Varga, of the Texas Health Resources, said. The hospital said the worker followed all Centers for Disease Control protocols in caring for Duncan, including wearing gloves, gown, mask and shield. But the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Sunday that there was a breach in protocol that led to the worker contracting Ebola.

"At some point there was breach in protocol and that breach in protocol has resulted in this infection," Dr. Thomas Frieden said, adding that officials at the agency are "deeply concerned" about the new case.

The worker has not been able to identify a specific breach of protocol that might have led to her being infected, he said.

The caregiver was infected after Duncan was admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sept. 28, when all workers were taking full precautions against Ebola transmission. She was not among the original 48 people identified as having had contact with Duncan before he was admitted.

When Did the Worker Test Positive for Ebola?

The state health department said the worker had been on a self-monitoring regimen prescribed by the CDC, which required taking their temperature twice daily. The worker reported a low grade fever Friday night, Oct. 10, and was isolated at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas.

Varga said “the entire process from patient's self-monitoring to the admission into isolation took less than 90 minutes.”

The worker was in stable condition Sunday, Oct. 12, after testing positive for Ebola in a preliminary test at the state public health laboratory in Austin late on Saturday, Oct 11. The CDC confirmed the test results Sunday afternoon, Oct. 12.

"The level of her symptoms, and indications from the test itself suggest the level of the virus that she had is low," Frieden said.

Who May Have Been Exposed?

Health officials have talked to the worker and are identifying any contacts or potential exposures. A close contact of the health care worker has already been put into isolation at the hospital and 18 other people who had lesser degree of contact were being monitored.

All those who treated Duncan are now considered to be potentially exposed, Frieden said, and that's now being investigated.

The car the health care worker drove the hospital has been decontaminated and secured, said Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings. Rawlings said everything the new patient touched has been decontaminated to ensure everyone's safety.

He said the health care worker lives in an apartment complex in the 3700 block of Marquita Avenue in Dallas and that crews have cleaned and decontaminated open areas of the complex. A hazmat unit began to clean up the interior of the apartment on Sunday, Oct 12.

Rawlings also said there is a pet inside the apartment and that they "have a plan to take care of the pet." He said they not believe the pet has signs of having contracted Ebola.

Eliud Kipchoge Wins Chicago Race


Eliud Kipchoge crossed the 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon finish line in just 2:04:11.

Despite optimism by race organizers and perfect weather, there would be no world record set in Chicago. The elite men didn’t even set a course record.

Sammy Kitwara finished second with a time of 2:04:28, and Dickson Chumba came in third at 2:04:32.

Kipchoge entered the race with the lowest personal best in the field, a 2:04:05 he ran in Berlin last year, good for sixth all-time in the world rankings. The 29-year-old Kenyan was expected to be in the running for one of the top spots at this year's marathon.

After Sunday's finish, he noted he missed his personal mark but still feels pleased with the result.

"This is a big marathon," he said. "All in all, I'm happy."

Kipchoge is fairly new to road racing after a successful career on the track but he already ran a blazing 2:05:00 to win the Rotterdam Marathon, despite windy conditions.

He owes his success to his supporters, he said.

"Thank you," he said to everyone in his home country. "Thank for your support, for pushing me. I appreciate everything. Hope to see you next year."

Photo Credit: NBCChicago.com

Mechanical Failure in Hayride Crash


The operator in a Mechanic Falls, Maine, hayride crash that killed a teenager and injured 22 others could not stop due to a mechanical failure, police said Sunday.

Authorities say the Harvest Hills' Gauntlet Hayride, a small jeep pulling a flatbed trailer, missed a turn on a steep dirt road and jack-knifed. The jeep went off the road and the trailer hit a tree, sending riders tumbling to the ground.

The Saturday night crash claimed the life of 17-year-old Cassidy Charette of Oakland, Maine, according to the Maine Sate Fire Marshal's office.

They say that two others were seriously injured. The operator, 54-year-old David Brown of South Paris is being treated at Central Maine Medical Center. A 16-year-old, Connor Garland of Belgrade, was transported to Boston Children's Hospital and is in fair condition.

Authorities say all 23 people on board were injured. The Fire Marshal says injuries include broken legs, arms, shoulders, and backs.

Many of those injured were treated and released Sunday, but some remain hospitalized.

Accident reconstruction teams are investigating.

The Maine State Fire Marshal is required to inspect and license mechanical amusement rides in the state, but hayrides do not require such licensing.

City Pays $225K to Teen Mom


The City of San Diego will pay $225,000 to settle a civil suit filed by a teen mom who lost parental rights to her daughter just days after the child’s birth.

Johnneisha Kemper says San Diego Police officers took her baby away in 2008, just days after she gave birth at the age of 16, claiming she was unfit to raise the newborn.

Now, the city of San Diego has approved a settlement in the civil rights lawsuit filed alleging the SDPD took the child without threat or warrant.

“The system did fail her in every way that she could have been failed,” her attorney Shawn McMillan told NBC 7.

Kemper sat down and spoke exclusively to NBC 7 about the case, saying the money can’t replace what she’s lost.

“I want my daughter. It's like somebody I never knew,” Kemper said.

Kemper had her daughter, Nyhanna,with her while visiting her mother in San Diego in 2008. She had just been released from the hospital, when Kemper said she had a dispute with her mother.

Her mother locked her out of the house, with her baby still inside.

Kemper said she called San Diego Police hoping they would help intervene but instead they took her child.

And from there the legal battle began.

Attorney Shawn McMillian helped Kemper file a civil rights lawsuit against San Diego County, the social workers involved, City of San Diego and the Police officers who initially took the baby.

The lawsuit said police officers took the baby even though there was no immediate threat to the child.

"The first thing they have to ask themselves is before they act at all, is, is this child in immediate danger of suffering severe bodily injury or death at the hands of the parent,” McMillan said.

A foster child herself, Kemper was living in the Los Angeles area at the time.

At 16, she had no driver’s license but said she tried her best to get to San Diego to do what the court required.

"Within that six months I had to go to counseling, go to parenting classes, and take drug tests. I had regulatory visits every Tuesday,” she recalled.

Eventually, the court terminated her parental rights and Nyhanna was adopted.

“After they did that, that was the end. I lost everything,” Kemper said.

"I can't do anything to get her back. I just have to sit and accept the fact that oh, I have a daughter but she's just somewhere out there,” she said.

McMillan said they pushed for a policy change and training for officers in how they remove children but the City refused and even offered more money instead agreeing to change.

As for Kemper’s hope to get her daughter back, McMillan said there’s little chance.

"It's just a really sad situation. There's nothing we can really do for a parent in her situation to get her child back. It's over,” he said.

Kemper said she hope her case will keep this from happening again to another mother.

NBC 7 reached out to the City Attorney's Office about the case but they had no comment.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

2 Boys Injured When Bouncy House Blows Away


Two young boys were injured when a bouncy house blew 50 feet away in Nashua, New Hampshire, Sunday afternoon.

One of the boys, a 2-year-old, was flown to Tufts Medical Center in critical condition after the incident at Sullivan Farm.

A 4-year-old boy was taken to a local hospital.

"This was a considerable impact, and we're very concerned," said Michael O'Brien of Nashua Fire.

The bouncy house, which was being set up for a fundraising event, was not open to the public and was not completely tethered to the ground, says the co-owner of a company that helped set up the event.

"We're really safety-conscious, but this was unfortunate," said Rickety Ranch co-owner Gary Bergeron. "It wasn't ready, it wasn't tied down properly, it just wasn't meant to be used."

Nashua Police said state and local agencies are investigating whether the device was closed off.

NECN will have more as this story develops.

Photo Credit: Squad 51 Photography

Creepy Clown Sightings in Calif.


People dressed as clowns are causing a stir in California's San Joaquin Valley.

The latest after-dark sighting came Saturday, when police in Bakersfield responded around 8 p.m. to a report of a clown holding a firearm.

Officers searched but didn't find anyone.

The Bakersfield Californian reports that the latest sighting came after a week during which police received numerous calls about scary or mischievous clowns.

According to the newspaper, police said they have arrested one minor who acknowledged dressing up and chasing younger juveniles. The LA Times reports that the minor admitted to copying the "Wasco Clown," a spooky figure making the rounds on social media.

Wasco is located about 30 miles northwest of Bakersfield.


Come play with me

View on Instagram




View on Instagram

Photo Credit: @RealWascoClown/Twitter
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Mass. Patient Has Possible Ebola Symptoms


A patient was isolated with possible Ebola symptoms in Braintree, Massachusetts, officials confirmed Sunday afternoon.

Hospital officials say it is extremely unlikely that the patient has Ebola, but he remains in isolation in Boston.

The man, who had recently traveled to Liberia, was transported by ambulance after being isolated at Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates. He was sent to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

The patient told doctors at Harvard Vanguard about his symptoms, which included a headache and muscle aches. The hospital says it isolated him out of an abundance of cauation.

"This patient does not appear to meet CDC criteria to be considered someone at high risk for Ebola and the likelihood of Ebola Virus Disease is extremely low," said Beth Israel in a statement. "The patient will remain in isolation as we continue to evaluate and monitor the patient's condition."

A pregnant Rockland woman, who was inside Harvard Vanguard for a doctor's visit, told NECN she does not believe enough was done to protect people inside from any potential threat.

"One of the ladies had yelled out that there's an emergency going on, which kind of panicked all of us," said Denise DiMarzio, who said that the staff walked through the hospital with gowns and masks.

In a statement, Braintree Mayor Joseph Sullivan commended the work of officials to keep the public safe.

"Every precaution was taken in this case today and the patient has now been transported to a Boston hospital," he wrote. "The patient's car has been taken to a secure location where it can be monitored by law enforcement until more is known about the individual's condition."

Sullivan added that he was pleased that Braintree's public offices were able to assist the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh echoed Sullivan's sentiments in a statement Sunday night.

"Today's efforts reinforced my belief that the city is more than prepared to deal with any scenario like this," he wrote. "I have full confidence in our departments and healthcare organizations that we can keep Bostonians safe and healthy."

Brewster Ambulance Service, which transported the patient from Braintree to Beth-Israel, said in a statement that the company followed protocol.

"The interior of the ambulance was sealed with impermeable plastic sheeting during the transport, and will be chemically decontaminated before being returned to service," read the statement.

President Mark Brewster added in the statement that the company's staff has been trained to handle such a situation.

"Our staff has been carefully preparing over the last several weeks for situations like this," he said. "The actions by all emergency responders, including Braintree firefighters and police and our EMS team, went exactly according to protocol."

The Massachusetts DPH cleared Harvard Vanguard to be fully operational Monday. The building reopened Sunday after being closed briefly.

Hazmat, police, fire and EMS crews were on the scene in Braintree.

NECN will have more as this story develops.

Two Killed in Separate Crashes on I-95 in Waterford


Interstate 95 southbound was shut down in Waterford for hours after two separate fatal crashes.

State police said one person is dead and others were transported with major injuries after the first crash  exit 81 around 7 p.m. on Sunday. 

Four vehicles, including a tractor-trailer were involved.

One person was killed and six or seven other people were transported to local hospitals after the second crash, around 9:30 p.m. at exit 82. Seven vehicles were involved, including a tractor trailer, police said.

The highway was shut down in both directions while LifeStar landed to transport patients. 

The highway opened early Monday morning.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Investigate "Distraction-Type Burglaries"


Derby police are investigating a rash of burglaries primarily targeting elderly residents that use distraction and impersonation to get into victis' homes.

Most of the "distraction-type burglaries" happened in the Hilltop area of town. In the scheme, individuals use a "ruse" to get residents to open their doors or leave their house, pretending to offer services like home repair, tree-trimming or driveway sealing or impersonating electric company, cable company or water department officials, as well as city inspectors or surveyors. A second burglary then goes into the house to steal cash and jewelry, police said.

The burglars will go as far as to show fake credentials, drive vehicles "displaying magnetic signs for non-existent companies" and offer discounted services, police said.

While most of the reported burglaries happened in and near Hilltop, police caution residents that this could happen anywhere "as many unsuccessful attempts go unreported."

Police ask residents to call police or dial 911 when "unsolicited parties" approach them and caution residents not to open doors for them even if they appear legitimate.

Anyone who thinks they may have encountered these types of individuals or has information is asked to call police at 203-735-7811. Calls will remain confidential.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Man Killed in 5-Alarm Fire Stabbed


Two days after a man was found dead in a five-alarm fire in Boston's Roxbury neighborhood, police say he was stabbed to death.

Sixty-nine-year-old Santo Alcadio Bernabel of Hazelton, Pennsylvania, had multiple stab wounds, according to Boston Police.

Saturday, officials were working to determine the cause of the fire at 104 Winthrop Street, which dislocated 30 residents.

The American Red Cross of Massachusetts put the evacuated residents in nearby hotels.

The damage was estimated to be over $1 million.

NECN will have more as this story develops.

Man Fatally Shot by Police


A man was shot to death by police Sunday at his home in Ludlow, Maine, during an investigation into an armed home invasion.

Maine State Police say that Sgt. Joshua Haines shot 52-year-old Alan Gillotti Sr. outside a mobile home on Smyna Townline Road.

Troopers were investigating an incident that took place earlier Sunday in Bridgewater.

The Maine Attorney General's Office is investigating the shooting.

Haines is on administrative leave with pay.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Flickr RF

Prosthetic Leg Theft at Eagles Game


Philadelphia Police found a missing prosthetic leg after a local musician claimed a woman stole it from him outside Sunday night's Eagles-Giants game at Lincoln Financial Field.

Sonny Forriest Jr., a Vietnam veteran and musician who performs outside of Phillies and Eagles games, told NBC10 he was singing in the parking lot around 8:30 p.m. when the theft took place.

Forriest Jr., who began using a motorized wheelchair after losing his leg, said he had taken off his prosthetic leg during his performance. He was packing up his car to get going when a group of people danced around him.

"There were some friends who were partying with the leg, then they put it back," Forriest Jr. said.

As he continued to sing, Forriest Jr. said he was then approached by a woman in her 20's who was wearing Eagles gear.

“She jumped in my lap,” Forriest Jr. said. “She gripped my leg and I didn’t even know it. I looked down and she took my leg! Then she disappeared! A young lady came up, snatched my leg off my chair and took off!”

This wasn't the first time Forriest Jr. had his leg stolen -- it also happened in the 90s, he said.

Despite the theft, Forriest Jr. remained in good spirits when he spoke to NBC10 and even performed a few songs. He also had a message for the person who snatched his leg.

“It’s a shaaaame, the way you mess around with old men!” he sang. “It’s a shaaaame the way you hurt me!”

Police began to investigate after Forriest Jr. filed a police report. On Monday around 1 a.m., a SEPTA conductor found the prosthetic leg on a train at the other end of the Broad Street Line Subway at the Fern Rock Transportation Center in Olney and then contacted police.

Police reached out to Forriest Jr. to return the leg. Reunited with the leg, Forriest Jr. said he doesn't wish for the woman who snagged his leg gets help.

"Somebody need to talk to her, she don't need to go to jail."

Investigators said that it appeared in total that three women took part in the heist.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live