NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

1st Dallas Ebola Nurse Upgraded


Dallas nurse and Ebola patient Nina Pham's condition was upgraded from fair to good Tuesday at the National Instites of Health in Maryland, where she has been in isolation with the potentially deadly virus since Thursday.

She had been in fair condition since Friday, a day after her transfer to the taxpayer-funded Bethesda hospital -- home to one of the nation's top-level biocontainment facilities -- from Dallas.

Pham contracted Ebola after caring for Thomas Eric Duncan, the first patient diagnosed with the potentially deadly virus in the United States, at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

Pham had been listed in good condition in Dallas before her transfer, but Dr. Anthony Fauci, chief director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases' Laboratory of Immunoregulation, had said the change to fair shouldn't be understood as meaning that her condition had worsened.

"She's not deteriorating," he had said Friday. "She is quite stable now and resting comfortably."

Last week Fauci said they fully intend to have Pham walk out of their hospital and will do everything they can to make sure that happens.

Photo Credit: AP / Texas Christian University
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Ebola Lessons Hit Close to Home for Texas Nursing School


Just before Thomas Eric Duncan was diagnosed with Ebola in Dallas, students in a microbiology class at Texas Christian University read the medical thriller "The Hot Zone."

The 1994 best-selling chronicle introduced them to virus hunters desperately battling outbreaks of Ebola and other deadly viral hemorrhagic fevers in Africa, the dangers the scientists faced and the stringent safety procedures they followed, from the biohazard clothing they wore to chemical showers and ultraviolet scans they used to keep from infecting themselves.

It was enthralling and far away.

And then Ebola arrived in Dallas — sickening a Texas Christian University graduate, Nina Pham, one of the two nurses who became ill after they cared for Duncan, the Liberian man who died at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

When the Ebola scare began unfolding three weeks ago, 19-year-old nursing student Andrea Jumper thought about what she had read, particularly the protective steps the researchers took in "The Hot Zone.”

"It was all decontamination," the sophomore from Keller, Texas, said. "They had so much protection and they were just dealing with little samples of Ebola.”

She wondered why Duncan’s specimens were sent through the hospital’s tube delivery system during Duncan first visit to the hospital, when he arrived at the emergency room with a fever and complaining of nausea, abdominal pain and other symptoms. That changed when, after initially being sent home, he returned on Sept. 28 and was hospitalized.

“It was really mind-boggling to me that here they sent in the samples with all the other blood samples,” she said. “And they didn't have nearly as much of the protection as they use in the book.”

The hospital just did not know what to expect, she said.

It’s an assessment that Texas Health Presbyterian shares. It has acknowledged that its nurses had not received full training for such a deadly, contagious illness and that it made mistakes.

“On that visit to the Emergency Department, we did not correctly diagnose his symptoms as those of Ebola,” Barclay Berdan, the CEO of Texas Health Resources, the hospital’s parent company, wrote in a letter to the community. “For this, we are deeply sorry.”

At Texas Christian University's Fort Worth campus of yellow brick buildings, green quads and purple depictions of the school's mascot, a horned frog, the nursing students are keeping up with the latest developments on Ebola and here, their discussions have an added urgency. They will soon be on medicine's front lines, battling Ebola and other illnesses.

Kristie Tinh, a 21-year-old junior, said she and classmates are following the news reports and trying to make sure they have the correct information.

"We understand why it's a big deal, but we really just want people to calm down and look at the facts," she said.

Tinh said she was inspired by her father, a survivor of the Cambodian genocide of the 1970s who volunteered at a clinic where the injured were cared for. His work was dangerous, she said.

“He would tell me stories of what he would do and it just seemed really fascinating to me,” she said. “And that's what really pushed me to go into a health profession.”

She and other students said they thought that they were being prepared to protect themselves and that, panic aside, the disease in the United States was being controlled.

“You just need to be smart about it and take the proper steps and just think about what you're going in to,” said Jumper, who plans to work in neonatal care after serving in the U.S. Air Force.

Clark A. Jones, Jumper’s microbiology professor, said that each year he began his course with “The Hot Zone,” reading an excerpt at the start of the first class. It provides an excellent description of epidemiology and shows how agencies such as the Centers for Disease Control Prevention in Atlanta and the U.S. Army work together in public health emergencies, he said.

“It’s been an amazing book to always use,” Jones said. “Did I ever foresee that we would see something like this? Well, we talk about it a lot, especially as the book ends with HIV …a major virus that has affected our world.”

His students have asked about droplet transmission — when a virus is transmitted through fluids as Ebola is — as opposed to airborne transmission, and they understand why the nurses were so much more at risk of infection than Duncan’s fiancee and her family, he said. After reading “The Hot Zone,” they knew the danger of a “Level 4 hot agent” like Ebola and questioned why the protection gear being worn by the Dallas health-care workers as recommended by the CDC in Atlanta seemed inadequate, he said.

“Our students were really surprised,” he said.

Since Pham and the other nurse, Amber Joy Vinson, became infected, the CDC has announced a series of measures to better protect health-care workers, the most recent change coming on Monday, when it issued stricter guidelines for protective equipment worn by the workers. The CDC is now calling for gear that covers the workers’ bodies completely, with face shields, hoods and boot covers, and for trained monitors to supervise them as they put it on and remove it.

Also, on Tuesday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said that the state would create two new biocontainment facilities for treating patients with Ebola and other contagious diseases. Pham and Vinson are now hospitalized at two of the country’s four biocontainment hospitals specially equipped to handle infectious diseases, Pham at the National Institutes of Health hospital in Bethesda, Maryland, and Vinson at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

Suzy Lockwood, the director of undergraduate nursing studies at Texas Christian University’s Harris College of Nursing and Health Sciences, said the school’s students have always been made aware of the need to guard against infectious diseases.

She poined out that the Dallas nurses, in trying to better protect themselves, taped their gear closed, perhaps putting themselves at greater risk as they removed the tape. Some of the protective gear was too large for the nurses. Lockwood noted that Pham, whom she taught and described as very caring, thoughtful and smart, is also small. The CDC recommendation for monitors to watch health-care workers remove their gear is key, Lockwood said.

“We’re all in a living science experiment,” she said. “We’re learning so much. Unfortunately, Presbyterian, the hospital here, ended up being the hospital that got the patient. Any other hospital would have had the same, probably would have had the same experience — just a little bit different but would have had the same struggles that this hospital had. They wouldn’t have had any different equipment.”

Maddy Robinson, a 19-year-old who studied nursing before switching to education, said the Ebola cases at Texas Health Presbyterian showed the importance of nurses, something she had learned from her father, a plastic surgeon in Atlanta.

“We're not prepared for something like Ebola,” she said.

With Pham still hospitalized, students and staff at the Harris School of Nursing have started wearing purple and apricot ribbons as a show of support, purple for the university, apricot because it is the academic color for nursing. After homecoming this past weekend, alumni have been calling asking for them, Lockwood said.

“We’ve been sending ribbons all over the country,” she said.

Photo Credit: Getty Images / File Photo
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

New Bone and Joint Facility Breaks Ground


Hartford HealthCare broke ground Tuesday afternoon on the new Bone and Joint Institute, positioning itself to meet the demands of an aging population.

"Our efforts are all around innovating not so much new technology necessarily but about how we provide care to patients every day," said the physician-in-chief of the $150 million institute, Dr. Courtland Lewis.

In a couple years, patients will be able to get complete treatment at the new location along Seymour Street, where two Hartford Hospital parking lots are now.

The building will include 10 operating rooms and 60 inpatient beds, allowing Hartford Hospital to convert semi-private rooms in the existing hospital to private ones.

Before the ceremony for donors and doctors, Hartford HealthCare executives explained that they hope to compete at a world-class level.

"We have the DNA here in Hartford, we have the depth of specialists, the capabilities, to deliver what we call the triple aim: affordability, how we bring together the patient experience, and how we bring together quality, value, for our patients and our community," said Jeffrey Flaks, executive Vice President of Hartford HealthCare.

New Attack Submarine to Be Commissioned in Groton


North Dakota is a little closer to Connecticut than you may think.

On Saturday, Oct. 25, the USS North Dakota attack submarine will officially become the newest addition to the Navy’s submarine force.

The submarine's commissioning ceremony will take place at Naval Submarine Base in New London.

The ship is the 11th Virginia-class attack submarine in the fleet and the first of eight Block III Virginia-class submarines to be built. With the incorporation of new payload tubes, Block III ships help lower production costs and increase missile-firing possibilities, according to the Navy.

Admiral Jonathan Greenert, Chief of Naval Operations, will be delivering the keynote speech at the inaugural ceremony. Approximately 2,400 people are expected to attend the private event.

Initial construction on North Dakota began in 2009. Several years later, in 2013, the submarine was christened.

North Dakota is the second ship in the Navy’s fleet to be named after the “Roughrider State.”

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Black Bear Spotted in Middletown


Middletown police are warning residents to be alert after a black bear was spotted roaming the Westfield area of the city on Tuesday.

Police are urging community members to stay calm and keep their distance if they encounter a bear.

“If you see a bear, do not approach it.” said Middletown police spokesperson Lt. Heather Desmond. “It is a wild animal. Please leave it alone.”

Desmond is reminding residents to keep bird feeders, gas grills, garbage cans and other potential food sources out of reach.

More information is available through the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Editor Ben Bradlee Dies at 93


One of the great figures in American journalism has died.

Ben Bradlee, former executive editor of the Washington Post, passed away at the age of 93.

The family says he had been in hospice care suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.

His death was reported by The Washington Post Tuesday.

Bradlee skyrocketed to fame in the early 1970s when he allowed the Post to look deeper into the burglary at the Watergate Hotel. His collaboration with young reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein eventually brought down Richard Nixon’s presidency and established the Washington Post as one of the world's top newspapers.

"He had the courage of an army," Woodward and Bernstein said in a statement Tuesday evening. "Ben had an intuitive understanding of the history of our profession, its formative impact on him and all of us. We loved him deeply, and he will never be forgotten or replaced in our lives."

Bradlee's Watergate fame was sealed with the movie "All the President's Men," in which he was portrayed by actor Jason Robards.

Bradlee lived a life as rich as his family name. Born into privilege in Boston, he graduated from Harvard. As a young man he lived in Paris for a time, working for the American embassy. He then joined Newsweek and eventually the Washington Post, where he served as the executive editor from 1968 until his retirement in 1991.

A prominent figure in the glamorous days of the Kennedy Administration, he was a close friend of both John and Jackie Kennedy.

Bradlee was a major player in those heady days when Georgetown dinner parties probably shaped government policy more than Congress.

He added to his stature in 1978 when he married the young style section reporter, Sally Quinn, who was 20 years his junior.

Since retiring, Bradlee wrote a memoir entitled "A Good Life" in 1995 and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama last year.

"A true newspaperman, he transformed the Washington Post into one of the country's finest newspapers, and with him at the helm, a growing army of reporters published the Pentagon Papers, exposed Watergate, and told stories that needed to be told - stories that helped us understand our world and one another a little bit better," President Obama said in a statement Tuesday. "The standard he set - a standard for honest, objective, meticulous reporting - encouraged so many others to enter the profession."

As for journalism, Bradlee once said, "I don't mean to sound arrogant, but we are in a holy profession.”

Photo Credit: The Washington Post/Getty Images

Woman Held Child While Assaulting Motel Guest: Cops


Police have arrested a 24-year-old woman accused of assaulting another person over the theft of a wallet at a Stratford motel while holding her young child.

According to police, Katrina Montgomery, of Stratford, assaulted another guest at the Honeyspot Motor Inn at 360 Honeyspot Road in Stratford on Oct. 16.

Police said Montgomery was holding her small child at the time and was reported to have had a knife, although investigators couldn't find one when they searched her.

Montgomery initially refused to be taken into custody, according to police.

She was arrested and charged with risk of injury to a minor, second-degree assault and interfering with an officer.

Photo Credit: Stratford Police Department

Chester Residents Fight Shooting Range


Some Chester residents are up in arms over a shooting range in their neighborhood. They say they want a new law to make it stop, but opponents say that's not going to happen.

Town leaders and dozens of residents attended an informational meeting Tuesday night to discuss a petition handed to the Board of Selectman requesting an ordinance prohibiting the firing of guns inside the town with the exception of hunting.
It all centers around nine acres of property on Wig Hill Road the owners use as a gun range.
"There are children in my neighborhood. I don't want them shot. It's not a safe situation," said Sally Ratchford who is for the ordinance.
"It's obvious they want to take away rights. They want to tell me I can't go shoot in my shooting range now," said Paul Radicchi who is against the ordinance.
Those in support of an ordinance say they're not against guns but that it's an issue of public safety and common sense. They add that the sound of gunfire is upsetting and disturbing when it's so close to where they live.
Those against the ordinance say the owners are being very safe and that it's their property so their right.
"These guys are following the law," said Radicchi. "They don't like the sound of guns? What can you do? I don't like the sound of chainsaws. Maybe I don't like the sounds of Route 9. I live with it."
First Selectman Ed Meehan says the owners have been shooting on the land for more than 20 years without incident and that the area is heavily wooded and significantly lower than surrounding homes.
When asked if he believes what the property owner is doing is safe, Meehan said yes.
Town leaders say they're going to reflect on what was said at the meeting, do some more research, and then report back if they do or do not believe an ordinance is appropriate.

New LED Board for Train Times in New Haven


If you've passed through Union Station in New Haven in the last couple of days you might have noticed some changes. 

The biggest of them all is the new board that displays train times.
The Department of Transportation says it is a new state of the art public information system that helps bring this station into the modern age. 
"I think it's lovely," said Evelyn Parise of Hamden. "I noticed it as soon as I came in. it's a great improvement."
Commuters noticed the great improvement over the board that contractors hand-cranked down late Saturday night
Union Station debuted the new train times board to commuters Sunday morning. DOT says this is part of the overall station improvement project that's been going on here in New Haven
"It looks hugely different," said Jack Friedman of New York.
The different board or public information system works in connection with the audio system installed throughout the station. The announcements used to come from a person. In addition station officials say these signs now display train information throughout the concourse. The other upgrades are to things like elevators and building code.
"This is great," Friedman said. "Just like they've restored Grand Central Station in New York, they've done the same kind of thing here."
Friedman is a 1972 Yale University graduate and remembers what it was. While he won't miss the infamous noise it made others will.
"That's what a train station is," said Anne Marie Pitoniak of West Haven. "It has the little clicks and you watch the numbers go down and change."
I appreciate the technology but I think I'll miss the sound of the old flip board. It's been there for a long time," said Leah Pillsbury who lives in Philadelphia now but grew up in New Haven. 
DOT says the board just taken now has only been here for 25 years
"It looks about the same but just digitally so maybe they can use the screen to convey other information," Pillsbury added.
DOT says there's more room on this board for other information especially once the New Haven-Hartford rail is launched in 2016. As for the sign, it is being donated to the Danbury Rail Museum.

Thousands of Dollars Missing From Hartford Magnet School


Thousands of dollars in funds earmarked for student activities have disappeared from the Classical Magnet School in Hartford and police are now investigating the theft.

Hartford police said a former employee is believed to have stolen from the school’s student activity fund, which consists of money raised through fundraisers, sports, clubs and other activities.

“The monies are in the thousands. We obviously find it very important to try to recover this money and make sure we get justice to those responsible,” said Hartford police spokesman Deputy Chief Brian Foley.

The money disappeared back in 2013, according to police. Authorities investigated after it happened and believed the incident to be a one-time theft. No charges were filed.

However, the city’s Internal Audit Commission recently uncovered additional discrepancies during a routine audit. Last month, they asked police to take another look at the case, according to Foley.

A source close to the investigation said at least $5,000 to $7,000 is missing, but those involved believe it could be much more, possibly up to $20,000.

Parents and students said the district never notified them that any money was missing at all.

“I haven’t heard anything and if it is happening, I think it’s horrible,” said Roxana Rosario, who has two children at the Classical Magnet School.

“It’s shameful and more than shameful, it’s really confusing,” said Justin Clapis, a former student who graduated in 2013.

In their report, city auditors found that cash was not always locked in the school’s safe and was even stored in classrooms overnight or for longer periods of time.

“As a result assurances cannot be provided by Classical Magnet School management that cash receipts were always being accounted for and deposited as required and are not misplaced or misappropriated,” the report states.

The district declined to answer questions about the missing money and as to why parents and students were not informed.

“Hartford Public Schools turned over its findings in this matter to the Hartford Police Department and to the Hartford Audit Commission. As far as we know, the matter is under investigation. We do not comment on pending investigations,” Hartford Public Schools spokesman David Medina said in a statement.

Detectives with the Hartford Police Department’s Major Crimes Division are investigating.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Pedestrian Struck in Newington


A pedestrian was badly injured when he was struck on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington last night.

Police said the man was hit in the northbound lane near Hoffman’s Gun Center around 11 p.m. and sustained serious head and leg injuries.

The driver who struck the man stopped and is cooperating with investigation, police said.

The road was closed for around three hours, but has reopened.

Police have not released the name of either person involved.

Car Hit Pedestrian in Hartford


A pedestrian was struck by a car in Hartford around 1 a.m. on Wednesday.

The person was struck at Oakland Terrace and Albany Avenue.

No information is available on the victim's condition.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

"Game of Thrones" Debate Moment


A University of New Hampshire political science professor's three word pop culture reference in the New Hampshire U.S. Senate race debate Tuesday night in Concord had the audience laughing and the Internet buzzing.

"Winter is coming," Dante Scala said in kicking off a question on rising energy costs directed at Democratic incumbent Jeanne Shaheen.

NBC's "Meet the Press" host Chuck Todd, who was moderating the debate, quickly said it wasn't in reference to HBO's hit show "Game of Thrones." 

The light moment in an otherwise testy debate came as Shaheen and Republican Scott Brown face a close race.

A recent WMUR Granite State poll showed Shaheen leading her GOP challenger 44 percent to 38 percent among likely voters at the start of the month. Seventeen percent remained undecided.

Memorial Garden Honors Maren Sanchez


A garden will be dedicated at Jonathan Law High School in Milford today to honor the memory of a popular teen who was killed in the school last year.

Maren Sanchez was killed in the hallway of the high school in April, hours before she was supposed to attend her senior prom. She was only 16 years old.

In the days following Maren’s death, the community came together to remember her.

Friends decided to dress up in what they had planned to wear to prom and went to Walnut Beach, bringing Maren’s gown with them, and paid tribute. Vigils were held and now Maren's Memory Garden will be dedicated.

It has purple plants, Maren’s favorite color, and plaques stating, “Maren, forever in our hearts,” have been placed on two benches.

The school is holding a small dedication ceremony at the garden at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, followed by a small reception in the area near the new gym/freshmen wing.

After the garden dedication and reception, a girls volleyball game – Law vs. Foran --- will be dedicated in Maren’s memory.

Attendees have been asked to wear something purple.

Donations from members of the community and local businesses paid for the garden, according to the school.

A memorial fund has been set up to help support the family of Maren Sanchez and to honor her memory.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Pet Bobcat Escapes Again


A pet bobcat escaped from its Jersey Shore home for at least the third time this year, a little more than a month after a judge told its owner the feline would be removed from her home permanently if it got out again.

Authorities were notified around 9 a.m. Tuesday that the bobcat, named Rocky, escaped from Ginny Fine's home. Stafford Police said Wednesday the 38-pound cat was found in a humane trap Wednesday morning. It is currently being held at the Popcorn Park Zoo in Lacey.

Fine was issued another summons after the cat escaped, and she could lose custody of the animal because of its previous escapes.

It's the third time authorities have had to round up the elusive cat this year. In one escape, the partially-declawed feline was missing for days, leaving neighbors concerned.

A judge ordered Rocky to undergo DNA testing to determine if he was a full-blooded bobcat, which are illegal to have as pets in the Garden State. Fine said he is a hybrid. The test came back inconclusive. 

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Man Guilty of Killing Teacher


A part-time snowplow driver was convicted Wednesday of luring a prep-school teacher out of her Vermont home under the guise of a broken down car, then killing her.

A jury rejected arguments by Allen Prue's defense that his wife, Patricia Prue, killed 33-year-old Melissa Jenkins in a jealous rage on March 25, 2012.

Prosecutors said the Prues lured Jenkins from her home as part of a long-planned crime. Jenkins' nude body was found the next day in the Connecticut River. She had been strangled.

Allen Prue, 32, cried when the jury's verdict was announced after six hours of deliberations. His lawyer had argued his client was unaware of his wife's plan to kill Jenkins.

Allen Prue was convicted of first-degree murder, conspiracy and attempted kidnapping in the death of Jenkins, a teacher at St. Johnsbury Academy.

Patricia Prue, 34, is being tried separately on an aggravated murder charge and other counts.

Prosecutors said Allen Prue gave a detailed confession to police that implicated both him and his wife.

Jenkins, a single mother, was reported missing on March 25, 2012, after her vehicle was found idling on her rural road with her 2-year-old son inside. The next day, her nude, strangled and beaten body was found in a remote spot.

Police were led to the couple by a business card for Prue's plow business. The killing shocked the Northeast Kingdom, an area in Vermonot where violent crime is rare. The trials were moved out of Caledonia County.

Prue, who had plowed Jenkins' driveway, and his wife were arrested two days after she was killed.

Photo Credit: NECN

Principal Points Out Why New London High Renovation Is Necessary


When New London voters head to the polls in less than two weeks, they will be making a decision that will have a major impact on New London High School and the principal took some time on Wednesday morning to point out the repairs he said the school needs. 

Principal Tommy Thompson pointed out loud heaters in the back of a classroom and said it’s just one of many issues plaguing the facility, which was built in the late 1960s.

“This is consistent with how other heaters are performing throughout the building,” Thompson said.

He’s also concerned about the windows, pointing out one that is held together with electrical tape and cannot keep the cold air out.

A plan has been proposed to renovate New London High School, as well as another school in the area, and Thompson said the renovations are crucial.

The leaky roof needs to be fixed, he said, and New London High School is on probation, not having complied with the Americans with Disabilities Act for more than 20 years.

“Wheelchair-bound students need to be able to access any place in the building," Thompson said.

Thompson hopes that outlining the problems will encourage voters to support a referendum on the City Council’s approval of up to $168 million in bonding.

There is already and approval on reimbursement for 80 percent for the school projects, which leaves the city to pay a balance of more than $30 million.

“I think every investment in our future is absolutely worth it,” Thompson said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Liquor Bottle Could Hold Clues in New Haven Gun Theft


A 12-gauge shotgun was stolen during a burglary in New Haven on Tuesday afternoon and a liquor bottle apparently left behind at the scene could hold clues in the case.

Police responded to a home in the 700 block of Elm Street around 4 p.m. to investigate a suspected burglary after a tenant on the second floor reported hearing noises coming from a neighbor's apartment.

The caller knew the neighbor wasn't at home and owned a gun, police said.

Police and SWAT officers responded and the tenant reported that the only thing missing was a Mossberg 500 pistol-grip 12 gauge shotgun.

As police spoke with witnesses, they told officers they saw a woman standing outside who appeared to be a lookout and man leaving the building.

Police said the burglar and lookout might have left an empty bottle of Alize liquor behind by the front door because the tenant said it wasn't his.

Police said fingerprint technicians responded to the scene and the liquor bottle was taken into evidence.

The burglar was described as a man in his late-20s to early-30s with an average build. He was wearing a teal T-shirt.

The woman was thin, around 5-feet-6 and has short hair. She was wearing a gray T-shirt.

Police are investigating.

Minor Injuries Reported in South Windham Crash


People were injured in a crash on the South Windham-Willimantic line this morning and the road has been closed.

Two cars are involved in the crash on Route 32 around 11:30 a.m. and police said the injuries are not life-threatening.

The road has been closed between Richmond Avenue and Route 32.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

South Windsor Police Issue Warning After Several Break-Ins


South Windsor police are urging residents to secure their homes after several residential burglaries several August.

Police said many of the burglaries have happened while the homeowners were on vacation while other break-ins have happened overnight as residents slept, police said. 

Residents should lock their houses and condominiums, lock doors and using outside lighting and alarm systems, police advise. 

Police also urge resident to watch over your neighbors’ homes if they are out of town for an extended period of time. 

If you see any suspicious behavior, people or cars, call 911.

If you have information about the break-ins, call the anonymous tipline at 860-648-NABM(6226) or dispatch at 860-644-2551.

Photo Credit: NBCSanDiego
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live