Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

What Happened After the Treasurer's Debate?


The spirited debate between Democratic state Treasurer Denise Nappier and Republican challenger Tim Herbst continued after their time was up Thursday night, leading many online viewers to question what transpired between the heated political rivals while the credits rolled.

Raw video from the end of the debate shows the two passionately arguing their policies as they left the NBC Connecticut studios Thursday evening.

Tune into NBC Connecticut's "Decision 2014" for more on the debate and the tension between Nappier and Herbst this Sundy at 10 a.m.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

New Haven Has New Eyes on City


Surveillance video is nothing new to the city of New Haven, but the number of the cameras and where the camera feeds are directed have changed.

Thanks to grants through Homeland Security and Traffic and Parking, 250 cameras now keep watch over the city.

Emergency Management Deputy Director Rick Fontana said the need for the cameras was evident when flash flooding hit New Haven.

“We had cars under water on the Route 34 connector, and before you know it, we couldn't see it. So we immediately went to management and said we need to have that capability, that capacity, and literally in three months, as you can see, we were up and running,” said Fontana.

Now there are cameras in every neighborhood, some of which pan and zoom automatically to keep an eye on busy streets. City officials hope that the extra set of eyes will also be a deterrent for bad behavior.

“If people know that you're watching them, they might think twice before they spray paint something, or it could be more than that,” said Fontana.

In downtown New Haven, it seems to be working. The Town Green District helped purchase four of the cameras, which are now displayed at the downtown police substation on Chapel Street.

Executive Director Win Davis said he's already noticed people watching the cameras and changing behavior.

“The cameras have given us an increased ability to research any wrongdoing that may have occurred, but really what we're seeing is people by and large kind of behaving a little bit better,” said Davis.

The camera feeds are visiblke in the Emergency Operations Center, the New Haven Police Department and the city’s dispatch center. The feeds are also recorded so officials can play them back to review an incident.

Injured Hartford Firefighter Released From Hospital


A Hartford firefighter who was critically hurt in the blaze that killed his colleague earlier this month was released from Bridgeport Hospital on Thursday, according to a hospital spokesperson.

Jason Martinez, 29, is recovering at home in Manchester.

"I do know his family – and Jason himself – is overwhelmed with the outpouring of support they have received," Hartford Fire Capt. Helene Lynch said during a press conference Thursday.

The president of the firefighters' union, Vincent Fusco, said in a letter to Hartford firefighters on Tuesday that Martinez is "up and able to move around" and has been working hard to get better.

"He is very determined to make a complete recovery and is focused on his therapies," Fusco wrote.

According to the Hartford Firefighters Association, flames forced Martinez to jump from a second-floor window while fighting a two-alarm fire on Blue Hills Avenue on Oct. 7.

He suffered burns over 10 percent of his body and remained in critical condition at the Connecticut Burn Center at Bridgeport Hospital for days after the fire.

"We continue showing our support for Firefighter Jason Martinez and his Family [sic] as he works toward recovering from his injuries in the Bridgeport Burn Center," Fusco wrote in the letter. "They are and will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers."

Fellow firefighter Kevin Bell died in the blaze, and Colin McWeeny and Kevin Burke received treatment for minor injuries. Both McWeeny and Burke were treated and released from Saint Francis Hospital.

"Firefighter McWeeny has burns on his head that are healing, and they don't want infection and are monitoring him," Lynch said at the media briefing.

McWeeny, of Engine 14, has not yet returned to work. Burke is back on the job at Engine 5, according to fire officials.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com/Hartford Fire Department

LifeStar Called to Crash at I-95, Route 9 in Old Saybrook


LifeStar airlifted a crash victim to the hospital Thursday after a car struck a bridge on Route 9 near Interstate 95 northbound in Old Saybrook, according to state police.

All northbound lanes on I-95 were closed while authorities responded to the crash. At least two lanes of travel have since reopened to traffic.

One person was airlifted to the hospital for treatment. Police have not released any information on the victim's condition.

Avoid the area if possible and check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Connecticut Department of Transportation

Troopers Use Narcan to Save Person After Drug Overdose


A month after being trained to use a drug that can counteract a drug overdose, a Connecticut state trooper used Narcan to save a life.

Medical responders were called to the report of a drug overdose in Griswold on Oct. 29. They arrived to find a 40-year old man unresponsive, so Trooper Steven Gardner was dispatched to assist, police said.

When Gardner administered a dose of Narcan, the man woke up and was taken to William Backus Hospital for treatment. Police said he's expected to make a full recovery.

Intranasal Naloxone, or Narcan, is given to counteract the overdose of opiate-based narcotics.

State troopers were trained to administer the drug in September following the passage of a new state law earlier this year.

“The Connecticut State Police and our fellow first responders experience first-hand the devastating effects of illicit drugs on individuals and families, and now, we can do something about it,” Department of Environmental Safety and Public Protection Commissioner Dora Schriro said in a statement Wednesday. “This initiative gives State Troopers and others on the front line the tools and training to help prevent drug overdoses and save lives.”


Stonington Teacher Charged With DUI: Report


A first-grade teacher at West Vine Street School in Stonington was arrested after flipping her car Wednesday night and has been charged with driving under the influence, according to police and The New London Day.

Police said 52-year-old Ann Collette, of Pawcatuck, was involved in a rollover crash at Route 1A in Stonington around 8:45 p.m. Wednesday. She was charged with driving under the influence and failure to drive right.

Collette was transported to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, according to police.

The New London Day reports that Collette is a first-grade teacher at West Vine Street School. The school Web site lists a first-grade teacher by that name.

Neither the Stonington superintendent nor the Vine Street School principal have returned requests for comment.

"Mystery Signs" Share Kind Words


What if the nicest thing you heard all day came from the back of a telephone pole?

It may sound strange, but “mysterious signs” leaving compliments for strangers are getting a lot of attention in southeastern Connecticut.

The small act of kindness is making a big difference.

Words of encouragement – including "People like you" and "You're a beautiful person" – are popping up on phone poles along Main Street in Mystic, and similar signs have also been spotted in other towns.

“I just saw the sign this morning as I was taking my daughter to music class,” said Mystic resident Merin Troutman. “It said, ‘Being nice is fun,’ and I think that’s a great message. That’s what I tell my daughter every day before she goes to Kindergarten.”

They’re simple ideas, and they’re also a mystery. Residents said the signs have been up for several days and no one knows how they got there or who to thank.

Town leaders said they don't have a clue.

Although residents may never know where the signs came from, most people say it doesn't matter who put them there. This random act of kindness is contagious.

“I think whoever is doing it, I think it’s the right message to send,” said Troutman.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Yale Doctoral Student No Longer Quarantined


Two weeks ago medics in protective gear brought a Yale doctoral student recently returned from Liberia to Yale-New Haven Hospital for Ebola testing. Although his test acme back negative, state officials ordered him quarantined at home until Thursday morning.

Two of the state's four quarantine orders, one of which affected Yale student Ryan Boyko, expired at midnight Thursday, according to the state Department of Public Health.

The state has put in place a total of four quarantine orders on nine people, including a family of six from West Haven, Boyko and a second doctoral student who traveled to Liberia.

Boyko left his apartment building on Edwards Street on Thursday and couldn't be reached for comment. He told interviewers earlier in the week he felt unfairly confined.

"It was purely a political move to look like Gov. Malloy was leading — science be damned, basically," Boyko said in an interview with the Associated Press on Tuesday. "Instead of leading by teaching people about the disease and trying to reduce the fear in a way that was productive and based on science, it was a decision to take what felt like the easier path."

Boyko, an epidemiology student at the Yale School of Public Health, said he had not been in contact with anyone showing Ebola symptoms while in Liberia. Ebola is only transmitted through infected individuals who are showing symptoms.

The 30-year-old doctoral student said earlier this week he had gotten involved with activists lobbying for consistent guidelines for people returning from Ebola-stricken areas.

Passengers Seriously Hurt in 4-Car Pileup in New Canaan


Several people are in the hospital with serious injuries, some possibly life threatening, after four cars collided in New Canaan on Thursday evening.

Police said the crash happened around 5:30 p.m. on Silvermine Road near the intersection of Clapboard Hill Road. One person was ejected from a car and others were trapped inside.

Paramedics and fire officials from New Canaan and Norwalk responded to the scene to extricate the passengers and bring them to the hospital.

Authorities are investigating the crash. Police have not specified how many people were hurt or identified the injured passengers.

Gore Still on Pole Days After Crash


A Manhattan resident is frustrated by the runaround she says she's gotten from the city while trying to get gore removed from the scene of a gruesome midtown crash last week. 

Cassandra Dunn first contacted NBC 4 New York with photos of what appear to be small bits of remains spattered on a light pole at 33rd Street and Lexington Avenue.

Dunn said she believes the remains were left from a crash involving an SUV, taxi cab and several pedestrians last Thursday. The FDNY confirmed two pedestrians were hurt in the crash. 

She said the carnage included fat, blood and hair.

"It's pretty gross, definitely a major biohazard," she said. "People are walking by with their dogs, their children." 

Though the remains haven't been tested, biowaste worker Sal Pain of Bio Recovery Corporation said at the scene Wednesday he's positive they are human.

"You have human hair, all different types of fluids," said Pain, whose company has several high-profile contracts with the city, including for potential Ebola waste removal. 

Pain said the remains will likely "just sit there until someone decides to hose it down." 

Dunn has been on a mission to get the scene cleaned up since the accident, but can't find anyone to help. She called 311, who referred her to the NYPD, who referred her to the sanitation department. 

She then called the state health department, who referred her to the medical examiner -- who then referred her to the forensics department. 

She tried the CDC, who pointed her back to the state health department.

Dunn finally emailed the mayor's office, and she said she's still waiting for a response. 

"Basically, I've been run around and no one wants to help me with this," she said. 

NBC 4 New York's attempts to reach the same departments and agencies yielded the same results: each department referred questions to another. 

A spokeswoman at the city's sanitation department said it was their understanding that "NYPD generally calls a medical waste removal company to crime/accident senes to remove any potential medical waste." 

The NYPD did not respond to a message Wednesday. The FDNY said in certain instances, it hoses down accident scenes as a courtesy but they are not responsible for doing so. The department said it was not asked to do that in this case.

But the mayor's office said Thursday the FDNY typically does wash down the street in those situations and that it cleaned the scene the night of the accident, despite evidence of remains still there Wednesday night. A spokeswoman said a fire battalion went back after NBC 4 New York's report aired and washed it down a second time. 

-- John Chandler contributed to this report. 

Suspected Biohazard Turns Out to Be Vinegar


Police said a possible biohazard reported in Rocky Hill turned out to be a container of vinegar.

Authorities were called to the state testing lab at 395 West Street around 7:30 p.m. to investigate after someone found a "drum of an unknown substance," according to police.

Lab tests conducted as a precaution showed the substance to be non-hazardous, police said.

That substance turned out to be vinegar, and the drum, a gallon container.

Dad of Boy Who Shot Pal Dead Pleads


The father of a then-4-year-old New Jersey boy who fatally shot his 6-year-old neighbor with his father's unsecured gun has pleaded guilty to two counts of endangering the welfare of a child in exchange for less jail time, NBC 4 New York has learned.

Anthony Senatore of Toms River pleaded guilty Thursday to the charges in connection with the April 2013 shooting death of Brandon Holt. Senatore's young son shot Holt once in the head with Senatore's gun -- a .22-caliber rifle the father was accused of keeping loaded, unsecured in his bedroom.

Senatore's lawyer previously said his client was "deeply horrified over what took place and feels awful about it," but that the case should've been tried in civil, not criminal, court.

Last November, Senatore rejected a plea deal that would've required him to serve seven years in prison. In exchange for the guilty plea Thursday, Senatore will serve two three-year jail terms simultaneously when he is sentenced Feb. 5.

Senatore had originally faced six counts of child endangerment -- one for each of the five unsecured firearms investigators say they found accessible to his three children and one for endangering the welfare of Holt by leaving his gun in a place where his own child could get it. . 

The Holt family has filed a lawsuit against the Senatores accusing Senatore and his wife of recklessness that led to their son's death. .  

Photo Credit: NBC 4 New York

New Haven Receives $21.5M to Redevelop Old Coliseum Site


More than seven years after the New Haven Coliseum came crashing down, the city received a $21.5 million financial boost to redevelop the site.

Transforming the old Coliseum site is the second phase of New Haven's Downtown Crossing project, which has been in the works for the past few years and aims to bridge two parts of the city that are now separated by Route 34.

The state announced on Thursday that it will contribute $21.5 million to the redevelopment of the former Coliseum site on Orange Street.

"It will allow us to really develop a vibrant and thriving urban neighborhood for New Haven and the state of Connecticut," said Max Rein, co-managing partner of site developer Live Work Learn Play.

What’s now an empty parking lot will eventually transform into a space containing a four-star hotel, restaurants, shops and residences.

The redevelopment project will also bring about a major change to the Route 34 corridor, knocking out the highway to create a more walkable, connected space that bridges the Hill neighborhood with Ninth Square.

“It’s been a long time coming,” said Robert Greenberg, of ACME Furniture in the Ninth Square. “The whole Ninth Square area is really excited for it, and I think it’s going to change the whole dynamic of downtown New Haven and the way that people enter our city.”

Greenberg said he’s hopeful the project will get up and running soon. The developer anticipates shovels in the ground next summer, and with those shovels, about 4,700 construction jobs.

The completed project retain 2,800 permanent jobs, which translates into more customers for downtown businesses.

“It’s going to bring a lot of jobs,” explained Neville Wisdom, owner of Neville Wisdom Designs. “It’s going to bring housing for a lot of people who will live here, who needed dresses and garments that we design for our business. So it’s a win-win situation.”

The total bill for the development will reach about $395 million, with not only the state contributing but the federal government and the city pitching in as well.

2 Elderly People Struck, 1 Killed in Hamden Hit-and-Run


One of two elderly residents struck in a hit-and-run crash on the 1600 block of Dixwell Avenue in Hamden has died, according to the Hamden police chief.

Dixwell Avenue is closed near the intersection of Homestead Avenue while authorities investigate. Police said both pedestrians were in their 70s.

Authorities said the crash happened shortly after 8 p.m. The offending vehicle fled the scene and police said they're still searching for the car.

An NBC Connecticut crew is heading to the scene. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Connecticut Ghost Town Sells for $1.9 Million


A ghost town nestled in the Moodus section of East Haddam has a new owner and, hopefully soon, new life.

The village of Johnsonville, originally marketed for $800,000, sold for $1.9 million at a worldwide auction that ran from Oct. 28 to 30, according to Eat Haddam First Selectman Mark Walter.

Walter said the town is waiting for the auction house to identify the highest bidder and new owner of the long-abandoned 62-acre property.

Johnsonville is situated between two state parks and has been desolate for decades.

"We're excited," Walter said. "Hopefully now it will come back to life."

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Tactic Pushing Voter Turnout Irks Voters


With the latest Quinnipiac Poll putting the governor's race at a dead heat, both political parties are putting out all the stops.

But some voters say they're going too far.

"Instead of this being an attack on another candidate, this was an attack on me and my privacy," said Mansfield Center resident Paul Veilleux.

Veilleux, a U.S. Army veteran, said that when he checked his mail on Thursday, he couldn't believe what he saw. Inside was a letter from the Connecticut Democratic Party that Veilleux said came across like a veiled threat.

"I believe it is our responsibility, everybody's responsibility to vote, not just our right, but this is ridiculous," said Veilleux.

The letter reads, "We're sending this mailing to you and your neighbors to publicize who does and does not vote."

You can see the name and street numbers are hidden, but the voting records for Veilleux and neighbors are clear as day. At the bottom it says if you don't vote this year, party officials will be "disappointed."

"Shaming someone into voting, but not just voting, voting in a particular way because they say they may call and they're going to check," said Veilleux.

Voting records are public but how you vote is not. NBC Connecticut reached out to the state Democratic party and they sent the following statement in response:

"The foundation of our democracy is a citizens' right to vote – and it's our hope that every Democrat exercises that fundamental right on Tuesday. While Tom Foley wants to restrict access to voting to protect his $5 million yacht, two million-dollar-fighter jets, seven-bedroom mansion, and zero percent tax rate, we believe every registered voter should show up to the polls."

State Republicans are also sending out their own mailers. NBC Connecticut was emailed an example of one which informs voters they've missed previous elections that the public can see who votes and who doesn't.

In a statement, campaign officials for Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Foley said they "hope that everybody who has the right to vote exercises that right on November 4th."

"This is not good politics. This is not positive politics," said Dr. Paul Petterson, political science professor and chairman at Central Connecticut State University.

Experts said it's not only manipulative but disappointing. It's a trend that's been seen across the country, but Veilleux says it's not the right way to do it.

"Reminding folks to vote, that's great, but don't try to look over my shoulder with what I'm doing," said Veilleux.

Veilleux said the mailer will in no way impact whether he votes or how, but that it does have him wanting to talk to politicians about the tactic.

Other experts have called this sort of strategy a "hail mary" that can significantly increase voter turnout, which is what both sides are desperate for Nov. 4.

SCSU On Alert After 2 Armed Robberies on Campus


Southern Connecticut State University students are on high alert after at least two students were robbed at gunpoint early Friday morning on campus.

The robberies occurred just after midnight near the Jess Dow Field football field. School officials say the students were not injured but several personal items were taken.

SCSU Police are searching for the suspect described as a male, between 5' 6" and 5'8"  tall, in his 20s, wearing a gray and orange sweater.

A campus-wide alert was sent to students shortly after the robberies occurred advising students to stay in their dorms and to use extreme caution when returning to their residence halls.

The suspect is still at large and campus police are investigating.

3 Officers Hurt During Police-Involved Shooting


Three New Britain officers suffered injuries when gunfire erupted and a suspect tried to get away during an arrest late Thursday morning, according to the police department.

Police tracked accused criminal Richard Moore, 43, to the area of 456 Alexander Road around 11:30 a.m. to serve an arrest warrant charging him with felony offenses, authorities said.

Moore, who they found in a parked car near the Batterson Park boat launch, "became combative" when police approached and sped off through a parking lot, dragging an officer behind him, according to police.

Police said the officer was able to break free of the car as Moore accelerated toward other police nearby. The officer who was dragged pulled out his gun and fired at the car "in an attempt to stop further violent assaults."

"Turning a motor vehicle toward an officer, or any person, it's a deadly use of force," explained New Britain police Chief James Wardwell. "It certainly could have resulted in something a lot more serious."

Moore was not shot. Authorities said he crashed the car into a large boulder and struggled with officers who tried to arrest him. Police took him into custody and brought him to the hospital for treatment of injuries sustained during the crash.

The officer who was dragged was taken to the Hospital of Central Connecticut, where he was treated for minor injuries and later released, according to police and the mayor's office.

Two additional officers were hurt during the encounter, one of whom suffered a fracture. The other injured officer is still undergoing a medical evaluation, police said.

"Their injuries are significant, but they're going to recover and I'm thankful for that," Wardwell said.

Moore was charged with three counts of assault on police, criminal attempt to commit first-degree assault, interfering with police and motor vehicle and narcotics offenses, because officers found drugs in his car, according to police.

Police said officers had been attempting to arrest Moore in connection with an incident on Oct. 28 when police found him slumped over the steering wheel, sleeping in a running car.

Officers reached into the vehicle and put it in park, at which point Moore woke up and sped off, hurting one of the officers' arms, according to police.

He was charged with two counts of assault on police, reckless driving, interfering with police and driving with a suspended license in connection to the Oct. 28 incident.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com/New Britain Police

3rd Grader Back to School After Ban Over Ebola Concerns


The third-grade student whose family sued the sued the Milford school system for keeping her out of class over Ebola concerns will return to school Friday, school officials said.

Milford school superintendent Dr. Elizabeth Feser released a joint statement with the 7-year-old's father on Thursday explaining that the two had reached an agreement.

The student was banned from school earlier this month after returning from a two-week trip to Nigeria where she attended a family wedding with her father. Her dad filed a lawsuit Oct. 28.

Although Nigeria has been declared Ebola-free and the student showed no symptoms of illness, administrators told the girl's family that she must stay home from Meadowside Elementary School until Nov. 3 “due to concern from certain parents and teachers that she could transmit Ebola to other children,” according to the lawsuit.

The suit was filed Oct. 28, four days after the girl completed a health assessment with her pediatrician which found her in good health and able to "participate fully in the school program," the suit says.

Although the lawsuit says Feser initially warned that the girl would be "removed from the school by police" if she showed up prior to Nov. 3, school officials agreed to allow the girl to return to school Oct. 31.

"The student does not present any health risk to any individual," the joint statement says.  "The parties are pleased to announce that the student will return to school on October 31. The parties wish to announce that the lawsuit in this matter will be settled."

The terms of the settlement will not be disclosed.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Thwarts Burglary at Neighbor’s House


A Bristol man stopped a burglary at his neighbor’s house by calling 911 after seeing two suspicious people last night.

Police said a man and woman tried to force a door open at a home on Chippenwood Lane in Bristol just after 5 p.m. on Thursday, so a neighbor called 911.

Bristol officers responded and found two suspects and their vehicle at 20 Edgewood Street, police said.

Joseph Saluski, 39, of 20 Edgewood Street in Bristol, and Jamie Newberry, of the same address, were both arrested.

Saluski, a convicted felon, was charged with criminal attempt at burglary in the third degree, conspiracy to commit burglary in the third degree, criminal attempt at larceny in the sixth degree, criminal trespass in the third degree and conspiracy to commit criminal trespass in the third degree, police said. 

He posted the $75,000 bond, was released and is due in court on Nov. 10.

Newberry was charged with conspiracy to commit burglary in the third degree, conspiracy to commit criminal trespass in the third degree and conspiracy to commit larceny in the sixth. 

She posted the $25,000 bond, was released and is also due in court n Nov. 10.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live