Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Christie Makes 5th Trip to Stump for Foley


The day before the polls open, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie returned to Connecticut in a final show of support for Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Foley.

Christie appeared alongside Foley at Bobby V's Restaurant and Bar in Windsor Locks this evening on the final leg of the GOP candidate's "New Direction" tour.

"Tom is a great candidate and Connecticut needs change," Christie said. "The four years of Dan Malloy have been brutal for the people of this state."

Foley hopes to unseat Democratic incumbent Gov. Dan Malloy on Tuesday. Unaffiliated candidate for governor Joe Visconti will also appear on the ballot but announced Sunday that he is suspending his campaign and asked his supporters to instead vote for Foley.

Christie and Foley hope it will be enough to edge out Malloy on Election Day.

"I was heartbroken four years ago when [Foley] came so close. I'm thrilled he and Leslie decided to throw their hats back in the ring, and we're going to bring it home tomorrow night," Christie told supporters in Windsor Locks.

Monday's Quinnipiac University poll shows Malloy leading with 47 percent of voter support to Foley's 44 percent. Seven percent of voters remain undecided.

Although the margin is slim, it has widened since the last poll, which had Malloy and Foley deadlocked at 43 percent of the vote.

Christie was scheduled to tour Connecticut, Rhode Island, Michigan, New Hampshire and Maine on Monday to attend events supporting GOP gubernatorial candidates in those states.

It's Christie's fifth trip to Connecticut this election season. The New Jersey governor appeared most recently in Groton and has also rallied support for Foley in Stamford and Greenwich.

"In the end this is going to be about Tom Foley," Christie said on Monday. "Having been governor for five years, I know he'll be a good governor if you give him the change."

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Family of 7 Displaced After Winsted Fire


The American Red Cross is assisting a Winsted family of seven after they were displaced from their home due to a fire Sunday.

The fire happened at a house on Perkins Street in Winsted, according to the Red Cross. Two adults and five children were displaced from the home.

Volunteers from the Red Cross provided blankets and snacks to the family at the fire scene and is giving them comfort kits containing toothbrushes, deodorant, shaving supplies and other necessities.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Four Families Displaced After Norwalk Fire


Twelve people in four families were displaced after a fire Sunday night at a residential building on West Main Street in Norwalk.

The American Red Cross is providing emergency housing to five adults and three children in two of the families , as well as food and clothing. Four people from two other families found places to stay on their own, but Red Cross spokesman Paul D. Shipman said they are offering help if needed.

The Red Cross also compiled comfort kits with toothbrushes, deodorant, shaving supplies and other necessities to the families.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Batcheller School in Winchester Closed Due to Power Outage


Batcheller Early Education Center in Winchester is closed for the day because of a power outage in the neighborhood, according to the superintendent.

The school, for students in kindergarten through grade 1, is located at 201 Pratt Street.

Ramp Closed on I-95 in Branford After Crash


The flatbed of a tractor-trailer flipped over on Interstate 95 South in Branford and the on and off ramps of both sides of the highway at exit 55 will be closed for the majority of the morning.

Police said the truck flipped, spilling lumber and wooden pallets on both sides of the ramp to to Route 1/East Main Street.

An ambulance has been called.

People are out of their cars on the off-ramp.

Photo Credit: Connecticut Department of Transportation Traffic Cameras

NY Man Kills Ex's Boyfriend, Self


A man shot and killed a romantic rival with a shotgun before taking his own life in a Long Island restaurant parking lot late Sunday, police say.

Frank Panebianco and Jessica Kasten, both 28, were walking out of the L.I. Pour House Bar and Grill in Port Jefferson Station at about 11:30 p.m. after dinner with friends when police say her ex-boyfriend, Michael Skiadas, confronted them.

Police say the couple and Skiadas got into a “screaming match," and Skiadas went to his Jeep and grabbed a shotgun. One of Panebianco and Kasten's friends came into the parking lot to try to calm Skiadas down, and the couple tried to leave in their car, authorities said.

At that point, police say Skiadas hit the friend in the head with the gun, ran to the car and fired two blasts, fatally hitting Panebianco. Skiadas then returned to his own vehicle and took his own life, police said.

The friend who tried to mediate the fight had a head injury but is expected to be OK. Kasten was not hurt.

Boston Mayor Menino Mourned Monday


The pews were filled with Boston sports stars and prominent political figures from New England and beyond. Frank Sinatra's "My Way" played as he left the church for the final time. The ceremony was everything longtime Boston Mayor Tom Menino wanted it to be.

That’s because the urban architect and consummate event planner pre-planned pretty much every detail, from his funeral at Most Precious Blood Parish in Hyde Park where he was baptized as a child to his burial at Fairview Cemetery around the corner from his home.

He even signed off on the list of roughly 1,000 people invited to attend his private funeral mass.

"The people-loving urban mechanic has gone to fix potholes in heaven," said Menino's successor, Mayor Marty Walsh. "I want to say, with all of Boston and for all of Boston, thank you, Mayor Menino."

Sitting front and center were his wife, Angela, his rock throughout his decades of public service, and their children, Susan and Tommy Jr.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick was among the speakers.

"It hardly surprises me that half the city's residents have met him. What surprises me is that it was only half," quipped Patrick. "About his infamous mumbling — you always knew what he meant, and more importantly, that he meant what he said."

During the service, some of Menino's colleagues shared anecdotes about their time with Boston's longest-serving mayor.

"He never missed a marathon, but his doctors told him he would have to miss this one," said Patrick of the mayor before last year's bombings. "But he checked himself out of the hospital to be present with us and for us, and that show of strength and resolve helped Boston be strong again."

Former President Bill Clinton and current Vice President Joe Biden were also among the guests.

Cardinal Sean O’Malley presided over the service, but the homily was delivered by Rev. John Connolly Jr. from the mayor’s parish in West Roxbury, St. John Chrysostom.

"We give thanks to God for the gift of Tom's life, and we ask the Lord to comfort us," said Rev. Connolly. "He showed us in the aftermath of April 15, 2013 what it means to be a person of faith, hope and love."

Seven hundred people were seated in the main sanctuary, while 300 were in the basement chapel.

Menino's six grandchildren all played a role in the ceremony, serving as pallbearers and offering words of remembrance.

Granddaughter Samantha Menino shared her memories of her "Poppa."

"He always made sure he thought about other people before himself," she said. "Poppa, we are so proud of you, and we are who wee are because of you. I promise we will continue to honor you and make you proud."

As "My Way" played to close the service, celebrants of Menino's life were reminded that he always governed with his own unique style.

Before the funeral mass, Menino's body was driven through Boston and passed by several of the late mayor's favorite places, including Fenway Park, and other locations closely tied to his legacy.

The procession began at 10:45 a.m., when bells tolled 71 times. The procession began at Faneuil Hall and passed City Hall, continuing by the Parkman House, Boston University, Fenway Park, Dudley Square, Grove Hall, Franklin Park, Bowdoin, Geneva, the Mattapan Library, Roslindale Square and then Most Precious Blood Parish in Hyde Park.

Although the funeral was private, members of the public lined the procession route from Faneuil Hall to Most Precious Blood Parish.

"Thank You Mayor Menino" signs were available starting at 10:30 a.m. at City Hall and several other locations.

Highway Lanes Closed for Bridge Inspections


Expect lane closures and delays on several Connecticut highways today and through the week because of bridge inspections.

Interstate 84, Route 8, Interstate 95 and the Merritt Parkway are affected.
There will be additional closures all week.

The Traffic loop installation project will be performed on Interstate 84 East at Slater Road Overpass in Manchester between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. between today and Friday.
Expect lane closures on I-84 Eastbound at Slater Road Overpass. 

More information on lane closures.


  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in East Hartford. Alternating right and double left lane closures on I-84 EB between exits 56 & 59.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Old Saybrook. Right lane closure on I-95 NB between exits 68 & 70.
  • 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Greenwich. Left lane closure on Route 15 North between exits 29 & 31 and right lane closure on Route 15 SB between exits 33 and 31.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Alternating  left or right lane closures on Route 8 South between exits 34-30
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Local Lane closures on Riverside Street and Sunnyside Avenue
  • I-84 East: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • I-84 West: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Danbury. Alternating left and right lane closures on I-84 east and west between exits 4 and 5.


  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: East Hartford. Alternating right and left lane closures on Route 15 South between I-84 West and Exit 90.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Killingly. Alternating right and left lane closures on I-395 North and South
  • between exits 94 and 95 [I-395 NB] and between exits 94 and 93 (I-395 SB)
  • 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.: Greenwich. Right lane closure on Route 15 North between Exits 29 and 31 and a left lane closure on Route 15 SB between exits 33 and 31.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Alternating  left or right lane closures on Route 8 South between exits 34 and 30.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Local lane closures on Riverside Street and Sunnyside Avenue
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Thomaston. Alternating one way traffic on Route 222 between North Main Street and the Plymouth Town Line.


  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: East Hartford. Alternating right and left lane closures on Route 15 NB between exit 91 and I-84 East.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Greenwich. Shoulder closures on River Avenue
  • I-95 South: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • I-95 NB: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Fairfield: Alternating left/right lane and shoulder closures on I-95 North and SB between exit 20 and 23
  • 9 a.m. to 3 pm.: Waterbury. Alternating left or right lane closures on Route 8 South between exits 34 and 30
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Local Lane closures on Riverside Street, Bank Street and Meadow Street


  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Middletown. Alternating right and left lane closures on Route 9 North between exit 12 and the on-ramp from Route 17 North.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Manchester. Rolling Patterns. Alternating right and HOV/ left lane closures on I-84 East and west and Ramp 247 between Exits 63 and 64 (I-84 East) and between exits 64 and 63, (I-84 West)
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Bridgeport. Alternating right and left lane closure on Main Street No. 3 North between Catherine Street and Main Street.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Greenwich. Shoulder closures on Ritch Avenue
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Alternating  left or right lane closures on Route 8 South between exits 34 and 30
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Local Lane closures on Riverside Street, Bank Street and Meadow Street
  • 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.: Canton. lane shifts on US Route 202 between Powder Mill Road and Route 179.


  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Old Saybrook. Right lane closure on I-95 North between exits 69 and 70.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Milford. Right shoulder closure on SR796 North between the exit for Route 15 North and Route 15 South.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Alternating  left or right lane closures on Route 8 South between exits 34 and 30.
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Waterbury. Local lane closures on Riverside Street, Bank Street and Meadow Street
  • 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Naugatuck. Alternating one-way traffic on SR 723 (Union Street) between City Hill Street and Route 68.

For updates on traffic issues, follow Heidi Voight on Twitter.

Photo Credit: DOT

Man Contacted Ex Dozens of Times for Years After Breakup: Cops


Greenwich police have arrested a New York man accused of violating a protective order more than 50 times after a break up.

Police said Colin Joseph Doherty, 24, of New York, and the victim had been dating, but the relationship ended several years ago.

On Halloween, police served Doherty with an arrest warrant and charged him with 51 counts of criminal violation of a protective order.

Doherty posted $10,000 bond, was released and is due in court today.

It’s not clear if he has an attorney.

Photo Credit: Greenwich Police

CA Campaign Mailer Photoshops Gun


A State Assembly candidate says his opponent broke the law when he Photoshopped a gun into his hand and a hoodie onto his head for a campaign mailer whose message has come under fire from other politicians and community leaders.

"He took a hood, put it on my face, and put a gun in a fake hand, and he pushed it off as me," candidate Prophet Walker said of his opponent Mike Gipson. "Campaign laws forbid this type of thing."

The image of Walker's face was taken from a photo of him with a friend, and the mailer with it was sent to residents in the 64th Assembly District, which includes the cities of Carson and Compton, last week. Walker's campaign said it should have come with a disclaimer saying the image was altered.

On the mailer, the words "convicted felon" are stamped above Walker's head, while Gipson, a former police officer, is shown in uniform. The mailer asks which candidate will better protect voters.

Walker admits he was convicted of assault and robbery at the age of 16 but says he has "paid every single debt" to society and wants to use what he's learned to serve his community.

"This is the same imagery that has been etched in our minds, that got Trayvon Martin killed, that sparked so much in Ferguson," Walker said.

Gipson has apologized for the imagery on the mailer in a statement, blaming the "over-the-top visuals" on a campaign volunteer and his own judgment.

He said in a statement posted to his website Friday that his team didn't appropriately vet the ad, which he approved and which he said went to a "small" number of voters.

"In retrospect I realize that the volunteer’s graphic design elements went too far," Gipson said in the statement.

The district's congresswoman, Karen Bass, called the image "appalling" in a statement Friday.

Politicians and faith leaders renounced the mailer as an example of racial profiling at a press conference scheduled for 11 a.m. in downtown LA.

"We call on Mike Gipson and all those who support him to denounce this repugnant behavior," Pastor Xavier Thompson, of the Southern Missionary Baptist Church, said at the rally.

But others, like Hawthorne Mayor Chris Brown, don't think his mailer disqualifies him for the seat.

"I don't agree with the mailpieces all in all but at the day Mike Gipson is the one that can step in the job and do it today," Brown said.

The 64th Assembly District seat is open, with current holder Isadore Hall moving to the Senate next session.

Gipson and Walker's campaign to replace him was already negative before the mailer was sent out, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Connecticut Attorneys Help at the Polls


If you run into any problems at your polling station this Election Day, you can rest easy knowing that help is on the way.It’s all thanks to Connecticut State Bar volunteers who hope to make your voting experience a breeze.

Chris Nelson is one of those on call attorneys volunteering to make sure your vote gets counted.

“I am very cognizant, and I think a lot of attorneys are, of how many people have sacrificed so much to protect our right to vote and give us this right to vote," Nelson said. "And so, anything we can do to ensure that what they have sacrificed for is maintained is important."

It is a program run through the Secretary of the State’s office. “If we can send someone there to see exactly what's going on, and report back to us, we can tell if it is a serious problem or not,” Connecticut Secretary of State Denise Merrill said.

Even though she is in a race of her own, it’s Merrill’s job to make sure Election Day goes as smoothly as possible. But, her office only has three lawyers. With 832 polling places in Connecticut, these State Bar volunteers provide crucial eyes and ears on the ground in case something comes up.

“It ranges from everything from people campaigning inside the 75 foot line, wearing campaign paraphernalia, to what kind of ID is being accepted,” she explained.

During the last presidential election, some polling places had lines up to 2 hours long, a problem the volunteer lawyers stepped in to solve. These attorneys do not enforce the law or give legal opinions – instead, they are a neutral party on the ground to help out and document any problems that happen. Explained Douglas Brown, from the Connecticut Bar Association, “We really are an important part of making sure that everybody's rights are protected as much as they can be, and doing so in an objective way so that the facts come out.”

Women Attacked Pregnant Woman in Guilford: Cops


Three women are accused of assaulting a pregnant woman in Guilford over the weekend and two have been arrested.

Police responded to a home in the 2000 block of Boston Post Road at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday to investigating a burglary and assault and learned that Amanda Anziano, 27, of Meriden, Jaqueena Jones, 24, of New Haven, and another female who has not been identified forced their way into the home.

A pregnant woman was attacked during the incident, according to police, who called this a domestic incident. Items in the house were broken during the assault, but the victim managed to get away with help from other residents, police said.

None of the suspects live in the home where the attack happened and had not been invited there, according to police. They were gone when police arrived and police said they left when someone threatened to call authorities.

Anziano and Jones were taken into custody at 7:45 a.m. on Monday and are being held on $100,000.

Anziano was charged with home invasion, first-degree burglary, assault on a pregnant person, second-degree threatening, disorderly conduct, criminal mischief and conspiracy.

Jones was charged with conspiracy to commit home invasion, charged with conspiracy to commit burglary, charged with conspiracy to commit assault on a pregnant person, conspiracy to commit second-degree threatening, conspiracy to commit disorderly conduct and conspiracy to commit criminal mischief in the third degree.

They are due to be arraigned tomorrow.

Robbers Hold 7-Eleven Clerk at Knifepoint: Cops


Two men attacked a clerk at the Newington 7-Eleven on Richard Street and held him at knifepoint during a robbery early Monday morning, police said.

Newington police responded to the store at 1:42 a.m. on Monday to investigate a reported armed robbery.

Two men in dark clothes entered the store, assaulted the clerk and then held him in the store's back room, police said. It's unknown whether the robbers stole anything.

No arrests have been made at this time and police are looking for two suspects caught on security cameras.

Police described the suspects as about 5-foot-7 and said that the thinner of the two men was wearing a mask and carrying a knife. the other man was of a heavier build, according to police.

Police ask anyone with information to contact Det. Derek Aivano at 860-594-6230.

Photo Credit: Newington Police Department

Police Search for 2 Suspects in Violent Home Invasion


Police arrested two men accused of attacking a man and a woman during a violent home invasion on Kenmore Lane in Milford late last month and they are looking for two others.

Police said they received a complaint reporting a home invasion on Oct. 26 and learned that several men the victims knew broke into the home and assaulted them.

The male victim suffered several broken bones and was treated at a local hospital.

The intruders also assaulted the female victim and choked her, but she didn’t need medical attention, police said.

On October 31, police took two of the four men into police custody.

Zachary Labbe,  23, and Michael Fox, 21, both of Milford, were both charged with home invasion, first-degree assault, conspiracy to commit home invasion, conspiracy to commit assault in the first degree, conspiracy to commit strangulation in the third degree, conspiracy to commit assault in the third degree and conspiracy to interfere with an emergency call.

Both men were held in lieu of a $250,000 bond and taken to Milford Superior Court to be arraigned on Nov. 3.

Police are asking for the public’s assistance to find the other two suspected assailants, They were identified as Thomas Hart,  23, and Joseph Fox, 26, both of Milford.

Anyone with information on where to find the other two suspects should call the Milford Police Department at (203) 878-6551 or submit a tip online.

Photo Credit: MIlford Police

Suspected Shooter Flees Police Into Bar: Cops


Police arrested a man accused of firing several shots near a Hamden restaurant on Saturday and leading police on a foot chase that continued into the building, according to police.

Darrell Anderson, 32, of New Haven, fled after a Hamden police officer ran to the parking lot of Shadow's Bar and Grill to investigate about six or seven shots he heard fired from the area at about 2 a.m. on Nov. 1, police said. The police officer saw Anderson trying to hop a wooden fence nearby and he chased him on foot, according to police. Anderson fire a shot during the pursuit and dashed into a room inside the bar, police said.

When Anderson returned outside, he tried to run from police again, but officers arrested him despite his resistance, police said.

There is no word on whether there were any injuries and it is unclear what triggered the initial shots fired near Shadow's.

Police combed the area and found a 9-millimeter handgun that turned out to be stolen from Orange, ammunition and discharged shell casings, police said.

Officers charged Anderson with criminal possession of a firearm, theft of a firearm, carrying a pistol without a permit, unlawful discharge of a firearm, reckless endangerment, interfering with a police officer and breach of peace.

Police held Anderson in custody at the Hamden station on a $100,000 bond and he is scheduled to appear in court in Meriden on Nov. 14.

Photo Credit: Hamden Police Department

Drunken Driver Crashed Into Church: Cops


Glastonbury police have arrested a man accused of driving drunk and crashing into the foundation of a local church on Saturday night.

Police said Charles E. Collins 4th, 38, of Glastonbury, crashed into St. Luke’s Church at 915 Main Street at 6:42 p.m. on Saturday and failed field sobriety tests.

Police did not have any information about injuries, but said the police report indicates that Collins’ vehicle was lodged under the foundation.

Collins was arrested and charged with driving under the influence, failure to drive right and driving too fast for conditions. No injuries are reported and he refused to a blood alcohol test, according to police.

The phone number listed for Collins is not in service and it is not clear if he has an attorney.

Prof Who Killed Wife Faces Trial


A trial in the civil case against a former University of Pennsylvania professor who bludgeoned his wife to death in their suburban Philadelphia home as she wrapped Christmas presents will begin Monday.

The case seeks compensatory and punitive damages from Rafael Robb, 64, a former Penn economics professor currently serving a prison sentence for the crime.

Robb beat Ellen Gregory Robb to death with a metal chin-up bar as she was wrapping Christmas gifts back in December 2006 in their King of Prussia home — in order to avoid a costly divorce, according to prosecutors. Their daughter, then 12, was also home at the time.

Ellen Gregory Robb's family wants her estate compensated and money provided for her daughter with the new civil case, according to attorney Robert Mongeluzzi.

“Robb still has a hefty pension fund and investments,” Mongeluzzi said.

The couple's daughter lived in South Jersey with an uncle after her mother’s death before she went off to college, according to Mongeluzzi.

Rafael Robb pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in November 2007 and was sentenced to five to 10 years in prison. He was initially paroled in November 2012, and the victim's family publicly protested the decision.

The victim's brother Gary Gregory told NBC10's Deanna Durante the family had tried over and over again to protest Robb's release in front of the parole board. Each time, he said, they were denied.

State Rep. Mike Vereb stepped in on the family's behalf and convinced the Chairman of the Parole Board, Michael Potteiger, to meet with the family. Vereb, a Republican, said after researching the case, he'd determined that the parole board likely broke the law and violated the family's rights by not allowing them to speak before the board.

Common Pleas Court Judge Paul Tressler, who oversaw the case, called Ellen's murder one of the most horrific in the history of Montgomery County. He also wrote to the parole board to protest Robb's release. His letter included information about Robb's treatment of his daughter:

"Even more telling is his [Robb's] attempt to manipulate his grieving daughter into continuing her relationship with him by threatening to withhold financial support for her future. I fear his prison conduct and your judgment. About him not being a threat to the public is another example of his manipulation, this time to the parole board."

The board denied breaking any laws and said the responsibility of notifying families about appearing before the board belongs to the Office of the Victim Advocate. However, in January 2013, the board rescinded their decision, just four days before Robb was set to walk free. He remained in prison.

Robb’s daughter will testify during the trial, with Hon. Thomas M. Del Ricci presiding. Rafael Robb will also face cross-examination. Jury selection and opening statements are scheduled for Monday.

"The family of Ellen Gregory Robb has waited eight years to have its day in court," Mongeluzzi said.

Mongeluzzi said he and his co-counsel will illustrate that the death of Ellen Gregory Robb was “so brutal, so heinous, it is beyond human comprehension.” Mongeluzzi also said Ellen Robb’s family would not be able to find any closure or justice until “the circumstances of the killing and the facts of the case have finally been presented to a jury.”

"We have never lost faith in the American justice system and while we know the trial will be terribly painful, especially for my niece, this is what our beloved Ellen would have wanted,” Gary Gregory said.

Rafael Robb will remain incarcerated locally during the trial. The claims against him were brought under Pennsylvania’s wrongful death and survival acts.

Suspect in Islamic State Case Held


A 19-year-old suburban Chicago man on Monday was ordered to remain in federal detention until an arraignment on charges he knowingly attempted to provide material support and resources to a foreign terrorist organization, namely ISIS.

Inside a packed courtroom at the Dirksen Federal Building, Asst. U.S. Attorney Matt Hiller offered 21 government exhibits they claim proved Mohammed Hamzah Khan was a "danger to his community" who has "been radicalized… and is not is just a misguided teenager."

"They were seeking to provide support to a terrorist organization," said Hiller.

"They" refers to Kahn and his two younger siblings, a sister who is 17 years old and a brother who is 16 years old.

"He (Kahn) had a sophisticated and discreet plan to bring his siblings half way around the world," said Hiller.

Among the evidence were the three round trip plane tickets Kahn purchased to Istanbul, Turkey for $2,679.00. Prosecutors said he worked all summer at a big box retailer to pay for the tickets. Evidence also included several notebook entries, found in books all around their Bolingbrook home, that highlighted their hate for so-called western values and their desire to fight for ISIS.

Hiller finished saying the case against Khan was about strictly about the teen's actions.

"He is not being prosecuted for his thoughts," he said. 

Kahn’s attorney, Tom Durkin, responded saying prosecution’s case was "absurd and weak." 

He argued the case "can’t really be classified as an attempt to provide material support (to terrorists), when they were stopped at O”Hare."

"He’s a 19-year-old kid. We can’t give up on these kids because they had bad thoughts and didn’t like filth," he said, repeatedly insisted they were just going to travel to Syria to live in religious caliphate in order to "fulfill religious obligations."

He's previously said the teen's parents did not know of their son's plans, and in his plea to keep Kahn out of custody, Durkin told Judge Susan Cox that his parents would agree to electronic monitoring and supervise him for 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

But the judge ruled Kahn's parents were not a viable option since they didn’t even know the 19, 17 and 16 year olds were not in their house when the FBI arrived to search it. Instead, the teens were already at O’Hare International Airport with boarding passes in hand.

"The evidence (for Kahn) to leave the US to join a terror organization and provide support is strong," Cox said. "He was prepared to abandoned his home, family, community and country to join ISIS," she said, and he was going to bring his siblings in the fray.

In the end, Cox deemed Kahn a flight risk and a danger to community.

"The notebook writings show he is not stable and in control of his own actions," she said. "He is clearly willing to take significant steps to obtain his beliefs."

A future court date was not set.

Photo Credit: Facebook

Man Arrested in Halloween Hit-Run


Numerous witnesses and police surveillance led investigators to the Stanton motel where they arrested a 31-year-old man after a hit-and-run that killed three teen girls Halloween night in Santa Ana, police said Monday.

Jaquinn Ramone Bell was found at a Motel 6 on Sunday with his two children and two other adults after a multi-agency investigation, Santa Ana Police Chief Carlos Rojas said.

Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido had said Sunday that five people were arrested in connection with the hit-and-run, but police announced Monday that they had arrested only Bell and had released the two adults. Bell's children were taken into protective custody, Rojas said.

"He wasn't fighting or resisting, really that I'm aware of, it was crazy," a witness to the arrest said. 

The search for Bell began when Andrea Gonzalez and her twin friends Lexi and Lexandra Perez, all 13, were fatally struck by an SUV that was later found ditched about three blocks away Friday night. Police said the girls were walking in a crosswalk when they were hit.

After leads brought police to the Stanton Motel 6, a surveillance team discovered Bell was staying there. He was arrested on suspicion of felony hit-and-run causing death.

"He did not attempt to stop or render aid to the children that he hit," Rojas said. "There's no doubt in my mind that anybody who was driving in a vehicle that impacted three individuals in a crosswalk and had significant damage to the vehicle probably knew ... they hit something."

According to police, Bell was driving with his 17-year-old son and 14-year-old daughter in the car. It is unclear how fast Bell was allegedly driving, but police said there were no skid marks at the scene.

"We just need to keep in mind that the speed limit is 45 mph in that area, so somebody hitting pedestrians, even at the speed limit, would cause death," Rojas said.

Bell was previously arrested in August for hit-and-run and DUI, and his license was suspended in October, 17 days before the crash.

According to court documents, Bell had been in and out of jail for a dozen years. He had two court warrants issued for his arrest, one for domestic violence and the other for contempt of court.

Pulido said Sunday that investigators worked around-the-clock to close the case.

"We've done a very strong effort, 24 hours nonstop, in order to find individuals that are associated, and we believe that one of them was the driver," Pulido said. "This is a street where cars can go fast, it's just the nature of the street. So we're going to see what we can do to make it safer."

Andrea’s mother Maria Gonzalez spoke out after the first time after hearing about the arrests.

“She was my whole entire life, my little angel,” Gonzalez said.

Online donations totaling more than $40,000 had been raised as of Monday morning as a memorial of candles, flowers and notes continued to grow for the teens at Grand and Fairhaven avenues.

“It’s hard. I’ve known them since I was six, and now they’re gone,” friend Ashley Jimenez, 11, said. “They would always be smiling, happy all the time.”

Friend Paige Flynn added that her friend Lexi had a "beautiful smile" and that she and Lexandra sat near eachother at school and would "always talk.'

"I'm very sad, but I'm glad that they're in a better place now," Flynn said.


Anyone wishing to donate to the girls’ memorial funds can visit the following links:

Hetty Chang and Samia Khan contributed to this report.

Hartford Murder Suspect Caught in Florida


A 21-year-old suspected gang member accused of murdering a man in Hartford over the summer has been taken into custody in Florida, according to police.

Michael Pryce was arrested Sunday in Margate, Florida, after getting into a fight with his mother, police said. Pryce, who may be a member of the Bloods gang, is accused of fatally shooting 34-year-old Huberto O’Neil in Hartford near South Green Park on June 14.

Police said Pryce gave Florida officers a fake name, but authorities took him into custody after learning his true identity. Pryce is being held on a $300,000 judge-set bond and will be extradited to Connecticut to be charged with murder.

Hartford police said he has been previously arrested on Babcock Street, Edgewood Street and Thomaston Street in the city.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police Department
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live