Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Retired Cop Kills Daughters, Self


A retired New York police officer apparently killed two of his children Saturday before taking his own life, authorities said.

Glen Hochman, 52, of Harrison, New York, who recently retired from the police force, apparently killed himself after killing his teen daughters Alyssa and Deanna, they said.

"The White Plains Police Department is shocked and horrified by the news of this tragic event," said David Chong, White Plains public safety commissioner. "We can only pray for the Hochman family."

Police discovered the bodies shortly before 4 p.m. Saturday after an unidentified person called authorities, said Harrison Police Chief Anthony Marraccini. Police believe that Glen Hochman's wife and the couple's oldest daughter did not discover the bodies, he said.

One or more pets were killed as well, Marraccini said.

Hochman served the department for more than 22 years "with integrity," he said. He received a lifesaving award from the department last year, according to the public safety website.

Allysa Hochman, a senior at Harrison High School, and her younger sister were victims of an "incomprehensible tragedy," according to a statement released by Superintendent of Schools Louis N. Wool.

He added that the school would open at noon and have grief counseling available for students and staff.

Garage Roof Collapses in North Branford


A North Branford garage on White Hollow Road was destroyed when the roof collapsed under the weight of heavy snow while residents were sleeping.

The department responded to discover the collapse early Sunday morning as heavy snow and ice causes concerns for homes and businesses statewide. Crews taped off the garage as the town condemned it.

North Branford resident Wayne Pitcher was just grateful no one inside his garage when it collapsed. He said he heard "a loud kaboom" as his garage roof came crashing down at about 5 a.m. Sunday morning while he and five others were sleeping.

"I was scared cause I figured something was up so we ran outside and found out it was the garage," Pitcher said. "Just thankful that nobody got hurt. Nobody was in it. The cars weren't in it. So nobody got hurt. You can always put a building back up but you can't replace a body."

Firefighters said that the damage is a total loss and the family expects they'll have to tear it down and build a new garage.

The family is waiting for insurance adjusters to assess the damage.

NBC Connecticut is at the scene and will bring you more information as it becomes available.

40 Arrested in Cockfighting Ring Bust at Auto Dealership


Federal, state and local authorities busted a cockfighting ring run out of an auto dealership in East Windsor on Sunday morning after a lengthy criminal investigation into illegal gambling.

About 40 people were arrested and charged with 54 counts of animal cruelty and one count of professional gambling after they were located at the cockfighting site, state police said, and 108 people were at the scene when troopers arrived 248 South Main Street (Route 5) to execute a search and seizure warrant. The address is listed as JM Auto Sales on yellowpages.com.

The operation involved 54 birds fighting overall, but only 49 were still alive when law enforcement authorities raided the auto dealership. Four roosters were killed by the time authorities arrived.

State police seized $100,000 in gambling proceeds, as well as a firearm, records and "implements of cockfighting" while searching the property, state police said. State agricultural employees have taken custody of the surviving 49 birds.

Everyone arrested was released on bonds and will appear in Enfield Superior Court. State police have identified the other people who were at the cockfighting scene and are applying for arrest warrants for at least 58 more people, state police said.

The names of the individuals arrested have not been released at this time.

State police detectives, troopers, organized crime task force members and tactical team members, state Department of Corrections, state agriculture department and East Windsor police worked together to execute the seawrch and seizure warrant.

State police continue to investigate the case and expect to make more arrests.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Tractor Trailer Crash in Ledyard Cleared


Long Cove Road has reopened in Ledyard after a tractor trailer crash Sunday morning.

A tractor trailer jackknifed and was blocking the roadway close to 10 a.m., Ledyard police tweeted.

The crash was cleared by about noon.There is no word on any injuries.

More information will be provided as it becomes available.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Crews Knock Down Shed Fire in New London


Firefighters knocked down a shed fire Sunday afternoon in New London.

Crews responded to 20 Evergreen Avenue and it didn't take long to put out the blaze, which was extinguished by about 1 p.m.

There is no word on whether there were any injuries.

More information will be provided as it becomes available.

Photo Credit: Tom Curcio

Firefighters Respond to Falling Marquee at Storefront


New London firefighters are responding to reports of a marquee hanging from the front of a former jewelry store on State Street, according to the local fire union.

The marquee, the sign at the entrance to the former Mallove jewelry store building at 74 State St., is coming down, according to the fire union.

Large barricades will be needed to block the sidewalk and part of the street, according to the fire union. Public works and building department officials have been requested to come to the scene.

It's unclear whether the issue is weather-related.

The fire department couldn't be reached immediately for more information, but more details will be provided as they become available.

Photo Credit: Michael Leonard

Greenwich Police Seek Bank Robber


Greenwich police are looking for the man who robbed a TD Bank on Sunday afternoon.

A man gave the bank teller a note demanding cash at about 1:30 p.m. on Sunday and the teller gave him some money, police said.

The bank robber left without incident and no one was hurt, according to police.

The man shown in surveillance was clean-shaven. He was described as being in his 50s and had blue eyes and a pointy nose, police said.

The man was heavy set with a big belly and is about 5-foot-6, police said. He was wearing a black skull cap, zip-up hooded sweatshirt and laced sneakers and blue jeans, according to police.

Police ask anyone with information to call the department's tip lines at 203-622-3333 or 1-800-372-1176 or by email at tips@greenwichct.org.

Photo Credit: Greenwich Police Department

Torrington Man Assaulted Girl: Police


Police have arrested a 26-year-old Torrington man who is accused of assaulting a girl.

Shawn Mariano was arrested after police responded to a "civil disturbance" on Riverside Avenue and found him behind the apartment building.

He had facial injuries that police said happened during an altercation with the victim, who is under 18. he was sent to the hospital and has been released into police custody, police said.

Mariano was charged him with risk of injury to a child, third-degree assault, second-degree strangulation, interfering with an officer, resisting arrest and assault on a public safety official or EMT.

He was held in custody on a $10,000 surety bond and is due in court on Feb. 23.

Stay Safe on Icy Sidewalks: Walk Like a Penguin


The trick to balancing on slick sidewalks is to “walk like a penguin."

At least, that’s the advice coming out of Little Baby’s Ice Cream in Northern Liberties.

Instinct tells us to do the opposite and center our weight mid-stride, which works on dry walkways.

However this tactic forces legs to split your body weight in half and rely on both feet to maintain balance -- not the best idea for icy streets.

The local ice cream parlor posted a simple infographic on their blog to remind everyone to think of gravity and mimic penguins. Shifting one’s weight onto the front leg keeps people – and penguins – from slipping.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention backs up the penguin waddle claim, reminding people to also spread feet slightly to fortify the center of gravity.

With sidewalks freezing over, remember to stay smart and give yourself extra time to waddle to and fro.

One more tip, keep your hands out of your pockets and wear a puffy coat…so if you do fall, at least you can catch yourself and cushion your buns.

Photo Credit: Little Baby's Ice Cream

Girl Scout Cookies Cash Box Stolen


Ten-year-old Sophia Contos was selling Girl Scout Cookies with her troop in front of a San Jose, California, grocery store — but a man yanked a cash box right out of her hands.

The Girls Scouts were selling cookies outside a Branham Lane Safeway Sunday afternoon, trying to raise money for a water conservation service project. But then, Contos said a man approached her table and tried to steal the cash box with $600 inside.

"He's looking around, looking at the cookies, and I keep my hands on the box," Contos said. "And (he starts) to pull away and all of a sudden he goes for it. I jerk it away, but then he's like too strong, so he gets it."

The suspected thief, who police identified as 23-year-old Cody Gintz, ran off, but came back to the parking lot 10 minutes later. That is where witnesses spotted him and got his license plate number as he took off, police said.

Police were able to quickly pull him over and arrest him for strong arm robbery. They found $300 on him, and he told police he tossed the cash box in a nearby creek. A K-9 officer found it.

The girls got their money back, and on top of that, police bought $240 worth of cookies and gave the troop $60 cash.

Sophia's mother said it was a scary experience for her daughter, but witnesses at the store, along with police, really sprang into action to help — and she is hoping that is what her daughter will remember most.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Driver Killed Woman in Wheelchair


A hit and run driver struck and killed a woman in a motorized wheelchair in Miami early Sunday morning, police said.

Takesha Shawanna Hayes, 39, was trying to cross NW 54th Street near 3rd Avenue with her wheelchair around 2:45 a.m., according to Miami Police. That's when she was struck by a driver who then took off.

"Definitely speed was a factor here," said Miami Police Detective Dino Thompson. "That played a major role in this incident."

Hayes died at the scene. Police do not yet have a description of the hit and run vehicle.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the Miami Police Traffic Homicide Unit at (305) 603-6525, or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-TIPS (8477).

Three-Car Crash in Enfield


Three cars collided at the corner of Route 5 and Frew Terrace in Enfield on Monday morning.

There's no word on injuries.

Crews Repairing Water Pipe Leak at Rocky Hill Apartments


Crews are at the Century Hills apartment complex on Cold Spring Road in Rocky Hill to make repairs after a water main break.

The building has not been evacuated.

"There is a service leak on the owner's side of the pipe," Kerry Martin, a spokesperson for the Metropolitan District Commission, wrote in an email and said the water main break is not the MDC's responsibility.

Photo Credit: Peggy Cassidy

Driver in Fatal Hit-and-Run Due in Court


A woman suspected in a drunken hit-and-run in Waterbury on Friday night that killed a 20-year-old woman is due in court on Monday to face charges, including manslaughter

Natalis Montalvo, 20, was walking along Meriden Road near Southmayd Road around 10:41 p.m. when she was struck by a Honda Accord driven by Albertina Lopes, 48, according to Waterbury Police Deputy Chief Christopher Corbett.

Police said Lopes was intoxicated, fled the scene and a witness followed her to her Woodtick Road home before calling police.

There, police found Lopes and her vehicle, which had windshield and passenger-side mirror damage, police said.

Lopes failed a sobriety test and a breathalyzer revealed her blood alcohol level to be above the legal limit, according to Waterbury police.

When crews responded to the scene, Montalvo was unresponsive and she was transported to St. Mary’s Hospital, where she died, according to police.

Lopes was arrested at her home and charged with second-degree manslaughter, felony evading responsibility, reckless driving, operating an unregistered motor vehicle and operating without insurance.

She is being held on a $750,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in Waterbury Superior Court Monday.

Water Restored to East Hartford Businesses


Water service has been restored to several East Hartford businesses that were without water on Sunday night while crews repaired a water main break on Roberts Street.

A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan District Commission said an 8-inch water main broke on Roberts Street on Sunday evening.

Water was shut down around 7:15 p.m. and was restored by 12:20 a.m. on Monday.

Five businesses on Roberts Street were affected by the break, according to MDC, including Margaritas Restaurant, Nolta Restaurant, the Ramada Inn, East Hartford Equipment and an unnamed commercial building.

Police said Roberts Street was partially closed in the area of Margaritas at 350 Roberts Street while crews made the repairs.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Serious 1-Car Crash in South Windsor


An ambulance has responded to a serious one-car crash near Sand Hill Road in South Windsor, according to police.

Police said the driver appears to have had a medical issue and medics are performing CPR.


Photo Credit: South Windsor Police

Crews Respond to Small Electrical Fire in Cromwell


Firefighters responded to Woodland Heights in Cromwell after a small electrical fire broke out in the basement.

No one was injured and no units at the complex, located at 51 Woodland Drive, were damaged, according to Cromwell Fire Chief Stephen Pendl.

The cause of the fire appears to be water seeping into a control panel, which caused it to short circuit. Pendl said there was some damage to the panel room.

Access to the hydrants was fine, Pendl said, so his crews were able to get set up quickly and attack the fire.

The house is located off Shunpike Road. Trulia.com lists it as a condo.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Watch: Aaron Hernandez Murder Trial Resumes


There was a dramatic reversal from the judge in the Aaron Hernandez murder trial on Monday.

Judge Susan Garsh ruled that jurors will now be allowed to hear about text messages allegedly sent between Odin Lloyd and his sister the night of the murder.

However, as previously ruled, the jurors still won't be allowed to hear the substance of those texts. This comes after a heated exchange in court Friday between the Judge and lead prosecutor Bill McCauley.

Prosecutors argued the texts could show where Lloyd was in the final moments of his life, and allege Hernandez drove Lloyd from his home in Dorchester to North Attleboro where he was killed.

Also on the stand Monday were two employees who worked in 2013 at NeedleTech, a company in the North Attleboro industrial park right near the crime scene. Both testified they worked the overnight shift the night of the murder and say they went to their separate cars for their 3 a.m. "lunch" breaks. Both testified they heard "loud banging" similar to the sound of fireworks.

One employee said the bangs happened about four to five times and that they were coming from the area where Lloyd's body was found.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murdering Lloyd.

Photo Credit: necn

Wallingford Roof Collapses


A roof at a Wallingford home partially collapsed on Monday morning.

Firefighters responded to 801 North Main Street Extension.

No one was injured.

The scene has since been cleared.

More information will be provided as it becomes available.

Wesleyan Students Hospitalized After Apparent Molly OD


Nearly a dozen Wesleyan University students in Middletown, Connecticut, were hospitalized on Sunday after possibly overdosing on a drug commonly known as Molly, or MDMA, on Saturday night, according to letters from administrators.

As of Monday morning, two students remain in critical condition and two are in serious condition.

Police said 11 Wesleyan students were hospitalized, but President Michael S. Roth wrote to students in a letter on Monday that 10 students and 2 visitors received medical treatment Sunday due to "complications arising from the use of a version of the drug Molly, a refined and more powerful form of Ecstasy (MDMA)." When asked about the discrepancy in the amount of students hospitalized, a university spokesperson said that the report from the president is the latest information available. Police have not released a new number of the total hospitalized.

Four students remain in Middlesex Hospital and are expected to be released later on Monday and four others are at Hartford Hospital, according to the university. Two were airlifted Sunday by Life Star to Hartford Hospital.

"I ask all students: Please, please stay away from illegal substances the use of which can put you in extreme danger. One mistake can change your life forever," Roth wrote. "If you have friends who are thinking about trying these kinds of drugs, remind them of the dangers. If you are aware of people distributing these substances, please let someone know before more people are hurt. You can make a confidential report at (860 685-2345). These drugs can be altered in ways that make them all the more toxic. Take a stand to protect your fellow students."

Calls for medical assistance came from Butterfield and Foss Hill dorms, as well as 200 High Street at 7:30 a.m., 8:21 a.m., 12:26 p.m., 1:21 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, Middletown Fire Battalion Chief David Anderson said. It's unclear where the students hospitalized took the synthetic drugs.

A Wesleyan sophomore who is in critical condition was one of the first taken to Middlesex Hospital early Sunday morning due to an "apparent overdose,"Dean Michael Whaley, vice president of student affairs, wrote in a letter to the school community on Sunday.  The names of the students hospitalized have not been released and it's unclear whether any charges will be filed.

MDMA stands for methylenedioxy-methamphetamine, which the National Institute on Drug Abuse says is "known as ecstasy or, more recently, as Molly," describing it as "a synthetic psychoactive drug that has similarities to both the stimulant amphetamine and the hallucinogen mescaline."

Middletown police believe the students ingested a bad batch of Molly and are looking into where it came from.

"Our first and foremost goal is to obtain information on the batch of Molly that was distributed to the students on the campus last night," Middletown Police Chief William McKenna said in a statement. "This information is critical to ensuring the recovery of those students affected."

"I think that's why it's so shocking because it feels like that could never happen to anyone that you know," Emma Soloman, a Wesleyan freshman, said. "It's like no one is going to overdose, you know? Because it's so common, but then when it's in that grand of a scale it's scarier."

Whaley wrote to the students that university public safety and residential life officials "are conducting well-being checks in some areas" and that public safety authorities and Middletown police are investigating.

McKenna asked the students to check on their friends to make sure they're OK and to contact the director of public safety at 860-685-3333 if they have any information. Resident advisors, counseling and psychological services officials from the university, reachable by phone on ext. 2910, and deans are also reaching out to students, according to Roth, who asked students to contact those officials if they know someone who needs support.

"And please keep those still hospitalized in your hearts and minds. Please join me in supporting their recovery with your prayers, thoughts, and friendship," Roth said. "Take care of yourselves. And let’s take care of each other."

The university said it notified the parents of the students.

"Finally, I ask that you keep these students in your thoughts and share my hope that they will fully recover," Whaley wrote to the students.

Molly has gained popularity in the last decade and has become an increasingly common concern for concert promoters, campus police and local officials.

"I think Molly is becoming a really big thing nationally and everyone is thinking, 'Oh it’s safe,' and everyone is doing it and there could be other stuff in there," Zaida Garcia, a Wesleyan senior, said.

A third day of Electric Zoo festival in New York City was canceled in 2013 after two young people died and four were hospitalized because of Molly overdose. Their deaths came after a string of similar overdoses that year at dance concerts in Boston, Seattle, Miami and Washington, D.C.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live