Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

SWAT Team Resolves Disturbance at Bristol Home


A SWAT team safely evacuated a woman from a Bristol home after she locked herself in a bedroom due to the behavior of an armed man inside the home.

Bristol police responded to a home on Woodbine Street in Bristol  at 3:02 p.m. on Saturday for a well-being check  and learned that a "suicidal male subject was inside" and "armed with a knife," police said. A woman locked herself in a bedroom as a result, police said.

The Central Region Emergency Response Team was activated and police secured the area, quickly getting the woman out of the home safely, police said. The man with the knife was then "apprehended without incident," police said.

Bristol police continue to investigate the incident.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Willimantic Police Arrest Suspect in Dollar Store Robbery


Police arrested one of three men involved in an Aug. 24 robbery at the Family Dollar Store on West Main Street in Willimantic, police said.

Anthony Herrera, 29, of Lebanon, was charged with second degree robbery on Feb. 27 at 2 a.m., police said.

He appeared in Danielson Superior Court on Friday morning and was held in custody on a $200,000 cash or surety bond.

Willimantic police said they have warrants to arrest two other men connected to the robbery and that they expect to serve them soon. The two other suspects are incarcerated in Connecticut corrections facilities, police said.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Sex Offender Arrested at Toll Booth


A New York man, stopped for ignoring a "Do Not Enter" sign at the Lincoln Tunnel, was arrested Saturday when records revealed he was wanted in Florida for violating parole as a registered sex offender, Port Authority police said.

Ricardo Hernandez, 40, from Queens, New York, was charged as a fugitive from justice, driving while intoxicated and possessing a false driver's license, police said.

Police stopped Hernandez at about 2:30 a.m. after he allegedly ignored the traffic sign at a toll booth. Hernandez had alcohol on his breath and failed a sobriety test, police said. A bottle of whiskey was found behind the driver's seat of his car.

A records check showed that he was using a false license and that he was a registered sex offender accused of a parole violation by a Broward County warrant, investigators said. Details about the parole violation warrant were unavailable.

Hernandez was being held on $50,000 bail. It was unclear whether he had secured a lawyer. 

NJ Man Steals Jeep, Rams 3 Police Cars: Authorities


A New Jersey man faces a slate of charges accusing him of ramming three police squad cars with a stolen Jeep Wrangler after being confronted by officers in farmers market parking lot.

Middlesex Borough police apprehended Kristof McCoy, 19, of Millington, at the Route 28 Farmers Market after being alerted to the vicinity by a motorist who said McCoy had earlier sideswiped his vehicle. The motorist had followed McCoy, but lost him.

As officers approached the Jeep Wrangler, it sideswiped one squad car, rammed another head-on, then backed into a third patrol car. One officer, who had exited his car, had to leap aside to avoid being struck by McCoy, police said.

After striking the squad cars, Jeep Wrangler sideswiped a nearby car and crashed into a fence at the north end of the parking lot. McCoy then fled on foot but was caught by two officers.

Investigators determined that the Jeep Wrangler had been stolen from a residence in Long Hill Township.

McCoy was charged with four counts of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, possession of stolen property and criminal mischief. He was ordered held at the Middlesex County Adult Correctional Center in lieu of $150,000 bail.

It was unclear whether he had obtained a lawyer. 

Crash Backs Up I-84 in East Hartford


Interstate 84 westbound was briefly closed in East Hartford due to a crash Saturday night, according to state police. 

State police say they had to close the highway while responding to a crash near exit 51. Multiple vehicles were involved, including one that rolled over. Traffic is backed up but getting by as of 9:25 p.m., according to police.

No further details were immediately available. Check back for updates.

South Windsor Teacher Placed on Leave Pending Investigation


A South Windsor high school English teacher is on leave after showing “highly inappropriate” material to students, according to a statement from Superintendent Kate Carter.

In an email to parents, Carter said both students and parents were posting to social media following an incident in a senior English class earlier this week. Carter stated that the parents of those students affected were immediately notified and the teacher has been placed on leave while the school investigates.

“I do wish to emphasize that we take seriously the trust that parents place in teachers and administrators,” Carter wrote, “and we do not tolerate the use of inappropriate materials in classroom settings.”

Carter did not detail the exact nature of the material or name the teacher, but students told NBC Connecticut the teacher in question presented them with an inappropriate poem. 

The investigation is ongoing and updates will be provided as they become available.

Trayvon Martin's Dad at University


The father of Trayvon Martin took the stage at a local university Saturday — just days after the three-year anniversary of his son's death.

Tracy Martin had a conversation with Philadelphia Daily News columnist Solomon Jones in front of an audience as part of an evening of events that began at 5 p.m. Saturday at Arcadia University in Glenside, Pa.

“I think the next step for all of us is becoming more educated on how the law applies to us,” Martin said. “How the police work.”

Dubbed "Letters to Trayvon: A Celebration of Black Men and Boys," the night also featured the three winners of a citywide letter writing contest for high school students. The teens wrote letters "expressing how they felt when they heard about the death of Trayvon Martin," according to LettersToTrayvon.com. One letter was written by Michael DeShield, a student at Abington High School.

“We can make a difference, Trayvon,” DeShield wrote. “I thought I’d just let you know that your death was not in vain. Thank you.”

The unarmed 17-year-old Florida boy was shot to death Feb. 26, 2012 by a neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman. Zimmerman said the fatal shooting was in self-defense and he was acquitted by a jury in July 2013 on all state charges.

During the event, Tracy Martin emphasized the importance of family values and parenting.

“We’ve kind of lost the love and respect for other man,” he said. “If our young people don’t respect themselves, they’re not going to respect you. We have to get back to basic parenting 101.”

As the live interview began at 7:30 p.m., a 48-hour social media campaign came to an end. The online push was meant to "flood the internet with positive images of black men and boys, articles, quotes, poetry, and music that speaks to the challenges and triumphs of black men and boys," the website continued.

“We hope we can get other people to come on board and understand that this is about humanity,” said Dr. Doreen Loury of Arcadia University. “Not a black and white thing. This is about humanity.”

Using the hashtag #LTT2015, users began sharing images of Trayvon in a hoodie, as well as shots of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and other civil rights leaders Thursday at 7:30 p.m. — the time the Florida teen was pronounced dead three years ago that day.

“People need to get real about the fact a person’s race really impacts the way that they’re treated in America in every aspect of their life,” said Lawanda Horton, an organizer for the event.

A VIP reception, which cost $50 to attend, was hosted by The Black Male Development Symposium, Mission Inc. and Arcadia's Pan African Studies Program. Proceeds from the event benefit students attending the Black Male Development Symposium and the Trayvon Martin Foundation.

Fire Breaks Out at Disneyland


A fire broke out at Disneyland in Anaheim on Saturday night, but was quickly extinguished, a spokeswoman for the theme park said.

The flames were reported about 9:20 p.m. in a back stage area near the It’s a Small World attraction, said the spokeswoman, Suzi Brown. The fire was not inside the building.

The small blaze was possibly sparked by a fireworks show that usually takes place at 9:25 p.m., she said. The show may have started earlier due to the possibility of rain.

No one was hurt, Brown said.

Anaheim and Disneyland fire personnel responded to the fire.

Posts on social media, including Instagram and Twitter, showed flames near the attraction.

The theme parked hoped to reopen It's a Small World late Saturday night. Disneyland was scheduled to remain open until midnight.

Photo Credit: Courtesy of Cavin Hawkins

Crews Respond to Second Fire in Waterbury


Firefighters responded to a fire at 124 Central Avenue in Waterbury early evening on Saturday.

Crews were still on scene as of 5:04 p.m. after arriving just after 4:30 p.m.

No further details were immediately available, but updates will be provided as more information comes in.

Firefighters also responded to a house fire earlier in the day that displaced four adults and four children in two families on Thomaston Avenue.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Person Seriously Injured in Hartford Shooting


One person was seriously injured after being shot multiple times in Hartford Sunday night.

Police responded to 546 Street after receiving a call at 1:34 a.m. on Sunday morning. When they arrived, police said they found a person lying on the road with multiple gunshot wounds after being shot with an an assault rifle. Police determined the shooting happened at about 7 p.m. on Saturday.

The person was in serious condition at the time and was transferred to Hartford Hospital.

The victim has not been identified yet and police have not identified any suspects.

Hartford police major crimes and evidence investigators responded.

The shooting remains under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

2 Hospitalized in Parking Garage Shooting


Two men were hospitalized after gunshots were fired during a disturbance at a Milford parking garage early Sunday morning.

Milford police responded at about 1:32 a.m. to a parking garage located at 1 New Haven Avenue after receiving a complaint about a disturbance there.

Police determined in a preliminary investigation that there was a disturbance involving a group of people in the garage and that firearms were discharged during the incident. A man was seriously injured and another sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Both men were transported to local hospitals for treatment. Police have not released their identities or said whether any charges have been filed.

Police seized two firearms at the crime site and continue to investigate the cause and circumstances of the incident.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Fire Breaks Out at Enfield Transmission Repair Facility


Firefighters batted a massive fire at an Enfield transmission repair facility early Sunday morning.

The fire broke out just after 3 a.m. at the Camerota truck parts building at 245 Shaker Road.

When firefighters arrived on scene, the building was fully engulfed in flames and the roof was beginning to collapse.

There's no word on injuries or how the fire started.

Teen Arrested After Father's Gun Complaint


Police arrested a 17-year-old Hartford boy after his father reported to police that he had a gun, police said.

Hartford Police Department's shooting task force responded to 139 Adams Street at 12:45 a.m. on Sunday after receiving a complaint about an illegal firearm. A father answered the door and told police that his teenage son was carrying a gun and fleeing out the back door.

Police apprehended the boy as he ran out the back door and seized a Taurus 9-millimeter semi-automatic pistol from the house, police said.

The identity of the boy has not been released because he is a juvenile.

Police issued the boy a juvenile summons on charges of interfering with a police investigation and possession of a high-capacity magazine, a 15-round magazine with 12 live 9-millimeter ammunition rounds, police said.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police Department

Firefighters Rescue Man, Dog From Fire


A man is in critical condition after firefighters rescued him from a fire that tore through a New Haven home overnight, hospitalizing him and two others.

The fire broke out just before midnight at 66 Dickerman St. Firefighters struggled to get there on a tight one-way road due to the snow, but when they arrived they found flames coming from the second and third floors. 

Two people who lived in the first floor got out safely and told firefighters that a person was trapped upstairs.  Firefighters found a man in his 60's unconscious on the second floor landing after likely trying to escape. He transferred from the hospital in New Haven to the burn unit at a Bridgeport hospital and is listed in critical condition.

The two people from the first floor are being treated for smoke inhalation at a hospital in New Haven.

Firefighters faced several other obstacles fighting the fire, including encountering a hoarding situation in the building.

"There was a lot of debris upstairs and we're looking to see how long it's been going here with him and stuff like that," said Robert Doyle, New Haven Fire Marshal. " It's still under investigation."

Investigaters have thrown much of the debris out the window as they sort through it all to figure out how the fire started.

The man's neighbor and friend, Charles Macri, who watched crews battle the house fire, said he wish he would have gotten here sooner.

"If I realized that he was in the house I would have went right in," Macri said. "I would have known, I would have known where the fire was. I probably would have brought him out."

The man in critical condition lives alone in the house with his dog, who firefighters also rescued from the blaze.

"I cried a lot last night when I was watching the whole nine yards. I was out here with the firemen, God Bless 'em," the man's friend, Charles Macri said. "I'll tell ya, it wasn't pretty, but knowing he was a friend of mine wasn't even prettier."

Macri told firefighters that just two days ago, his friend complained that the extension cord connected to his space heater overheated.

The fire marshal confirmed that though nothing has been ruled out. A space heater next to the bed is a primary focus of this investigation.

The official cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Neighbor Saves Woman From Trailer Fire


A neighbor saved a woman from a home that caught fire in a Southington trailer park on Sunday.

Southington resident Alessandro Rodegher saw smoke coming from his neighbor's home at 10 Hillside Ln. in Three Gardens Trailer Park and ran next door to help, according to fire officials. He pulled a woman inside at the time to safety.

“Mr. Rodegher’s actions were critical to the occupant’s safety,” Southington Fire Capt. Alan Zygmunt said in a statement, “He probably saved her life.”

The woman was home alone when a fire started in the front bedroom at about 11:11 a.m. Sunday, fire officials said. An ambulance transported her to Bristol Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire was contained to the bedroom and caused smoke damage throughout the trailer, fire officials said.

The owner was not home at the time of the fire, but has been displaced. Southington's social services department is helping him with temporary housing and anything else he needs.

The Southington fire marshal responded and is investigating the cause of the fire. The fire was likely accidental, fire officials said.

Traffic was backed up on Queen Street (Route 10) in the area as crews responded to the fire.

No one else was injured in the blaze.

More Snow Falls Across the State


The arrival of March and another snow storm slowed travel across the state.

On I-95 in Milford Sunday night, no matter where people were going, they were not getting there quickly.

“I’m really stressed out and tired. I’ve cleaned my windshield off like three times already on the way back. It’s super icy, slippery. I’ve seen three accidents already. So, just want to kind of get home,” says Melissa Blake, Newington.

With several inches of snow falling in Milford, plow crews tried to keep up. Traffic at one point crawled at 20 miles an hour. After this relentless winter, drivers should be qualified to be pros in the powder.

“You would think. But a lot of people getting stuck everywhere,” says Scott McNamara, Woodbridge.

It was common across the state. On I-91 North in Meriden, a car ended up off the road. It’s just another reason why many people are saying enough.

“Winter can just go. I don’t want it anymore,” says Blake.

Winter still has at least one supporter and you’ll find him here on Bishop Street in New Haven.
Michael Tucker has shoveling down to a science and his optimism is about as high as the snow banks.

“I’m used to it. I’m used to it. You got to if you’re going to live in this part of the world you have to tolerate this and try to find joy in it somehow,” says Tucker.

Many cities and towns have parking bans.

In Hartford, it started at 8:00pm Sunday and goes until 10:00am Monday.

Photo Credit: Matt Austin/NBC Connecticut

Winsted Road Closed in Torrington Due to Crash


Winsted Road is closed in Torrington due to a crash.

Torrington firefighters responded to the accident in the area of 1260 Winsted Road.

There is no word on injuries.

The road is closed in the area of the crash.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

Dramatic Police Shooting On Camera


Los Angeles police officers shot and killed a man on Skid Row on Sunday while he allegedly struggled with them for control of one of their guns, police say.

Dramatic cellphone video captured the violent confrontation that took place about noon on a sidewalk in the 500 block of South San Pedro Street in downtown LA.

Police were responding to a report of a robbery when they confronted the man, who was not identified.

Cellphone video taken by a witness shows several officers trying to take him into custody as bystanders look on.

The man can be seen swinging his arms as officers approach him. The man then falls to the ground and officers apparently attempt to take him into custody.

"While on the ground, the suspect and officers struggled over one of the officer's handguns and then an officer-involved shooting occurred," the LAPD said in a statement.

The officers first used a stun gun on him, police said. At least five gunshots were fired shortly after.

Multiple officers could be seen with their guns drawn after shots rang out.

"There was no reason for them to do that," said witness Jerome Guillory.

No officers were struck by gunfire, officials said. Two of them suffered minor injuries.

Several witness videos showing graphic portions of the altercation were posted online. One taken from another angle shows a person nearby picking up a police baton from the floor. That person was knocked to the ground by officers and taken into custody.

LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith said at least one of the officers was wearing a body camera.

Police did not release the man's name, and Smith said he did not know whether the man was homeless, according to The Associated Press.

Officials said "video from various sources" will be reviewed during the investigation.

Demonstrators gathered at Pershing Square on Sunday night to protest the fatal shooting.

"People here, they have mental health issues, you know what I'm saying? They're homeless. Be trained to deal with those type of people," said local resident Tonia Gibson.

NBC4's Asher Klein and Kevin LaBeach contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: KNBC/KVEA

Escaped Inmate Found Hiding in Hot Tub


An inmate who escaped into a Southern California neighborhood was found hiding in a hot tub and taken into custody, officials said.

The inmate, identified as Arturo Valenzuela, was working in a rear parking lot at the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Lomita Station when he jumped a fence and took off, Deputy Mike Barraza said. He was reported missing about 2:40 p.m.

Deputies, backed by units from the Sheriff’s Carson Station, a helicopter and K-9, set up a perimeter in search of Valenzuela, who was wearing a yellow jumpsuit.

Officials confirmed that he was found about 5 p.m. hiding out in a covered hot tub in a nearby backyard in the 25900 block of Cypress Street. The hot tub had a little bit of water in the bottom, deputies said.

Valenzuela was taken to the hospital to be treated for an ankle injury that he suffered during the incident, officials said.

He was booked for escape and being held on $100,000 bail. He had originally been jailed for burglary.

Valenzuela was working at the station under minimum security as part of a program that employs inmates who meet certain criteria, deputies said.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: KNBC

Pedestrian Killed in Waterbury Hit-and-Run


A 61-year-old woman was killed Saturday night after a car hit her while she was crossing Wolcott Street in Waterbury.

The driver fled the scene after the accident in the area of 467 Wolcott Street around 6:10 p.m. Police are still looking for the driver.

Police have not released information on the identity of the woman at this time. She had been transported to Saint Mary's Hospital, but died at the hospital.

The road was closed in the area as police investigated the crash.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live