Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Mom Who Jumped With Baby Charged


A mother has been indicted in the attempted murder of her infant daughter after jumping into ocean from a jetty with the young girl, prosecutors in Atlantic County, New Jersey said.

Patricia Shurig, 24, was indicted on Tuesday in the incident that happened in Atlantic City on the evening of Oct. 26, 2014. Authorities said she leapt off a rock jetty on the Atlantic City Inlet holding her one-month-old daughter, Krishna.

Witnesses called 911 and rushed to pull them from the water. Krishna was not breathing, but was revived after the good Samaritans performed CPR.

Shurig's sister, Amanda Husta, told NBC10 last year Shurig was suffering from postpartum depression but did not indicate she planned to harm the child.

"I don't want people to think poorly of her because of her mental illness," said Husta. "I definitely want them to be understanding of the situation."

Police previously charged the mother with Aggravated Assault. She is out on $100,000 full cash bail.

If convicted, Shurig could face a maximum of 30 years in prison.

Cops Hurt in Skid Row Scuffle: LAPD


Two police officers were hurt in a struggle with a homeless man after he attacked a TV cameraman on Los Angeles’ Skid Row Wednesday, authorities said.

A KTTV cameraman was filming outside the Midnight Mission around noon when the homeless man assaulted him, according to an officer with LAPD’s media relations section.

At least one witness said the man bit an officer on the arm.

Officers tried to subdue the man, and during the confrontation, the man reached for an officer's holstered gun, according to police spokesman Officer Jack Richter.

Two officers received minor injuries in the scuffle, but police were able to subdue the man with a Taser, the LAPD said.

The man was uncooperative and would not immediately give his name to police after his arrest.

Photo Credit: KNBC

Explosion Reported at Scene of New Haven House Fire


Flames ripped through a two-and-a-half story home on Winthrop Avenue in New Haven, and fire officials said something exploded as the fire spread.

Firefighters were called to 577 Winthrop Avenue just prior to 5 p.m. Wednesday. Flames quickly engulfed the first and second floors, then spread to the third, striking two alarms.

Some sort of explosion rattled the structure, and flames tore holes through the exterior. It's not clear what exploded or why. Fire officials said the arson division is investigating, which is customary when the cause is unknown.

Two families have been displaced, but no one was hurt.

Firefighters knocked down the bulk of the fire within about half an hour and cleared the scene around 9 p.m.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Student Harassed After Questioning Sorority Fundraiser


A sorority fundraiser at Quinnipiac University has become a hotbed of controversy after a student who found the event advertisement culturally insensitive shared her concerns and became the target of vicious attacks.

Quinnipiac senior Lexie Gruber said she was offended by a poster for Kappa Alpha Theta's "Queso for CASA" fundraiser, which depicted maracas and other symbols pertaining to Latin culture. Gruber shared her concerns on Facebook.

"I don't think race or ethnicity should ever be themes. I don't think cultures are joked about. These are very important to people," Gruber said.

She never expected the subsequent backlash. Other students sent hurtful, hateful and threatening comments to her social media accounts.

"I kind of figured I wouldn't get a good response. I was hoping someone would understand, but I am absolutely ashamed of those individuals who decided to take it too far," she said. "There were people hiding behind an anonymous app encouraging me to kill myself."

Theta canceled the event, which was intended to raise money for Court Appointed Special Advocates, and posted the following apology on its Facebook page:

"On behalf of all members of Eta Xi's Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta, we would like to express our most sincere apologies to anyone within the Quinnipiac Campus and beyond into our community who may have been insulted by our scheduled Queso for CASA event. It was never our intent to hurt anyone and so our sisters have decided to cancel the event in its entirety. We make a stand to not tolerate discrimination and therefore will look to raise funds for our philanthropy in a more tasteful way for all to enjoy. It is our expectation of the Quinnipiac community treat each other with civility and respect."

Gruber said she never wanted Theta to cancel the event, which raises money for foster children. She herself is a foster child.

"I'm one of the few kids at this university that actually understands what they are raising awareness about," she explained.

Gruber said she hopes her experience will now direct the conversation to cultural sensitivity and tolerance, a topic she believes needs more attention on campus.

"It's starting a great dialogue about cultural, how to be inclusive and the importance of diversity, which I think is so critical," she said.

University officials said Quinnipiac does its best to be inclusive.

"The university is always striving to uphold a community that is inclusive and respectful of all people," said university spokesperson Lynn Bushnell. "Each year, the university works to create opportunities for our students to learn and enhance their sense of diversity and cultural awareness with the hope that they will graduate as open-minded, global citizens."

Beagle Puppy Saved From Home Blaze


A 1-year-old beagle mix is recovering at a New York City animal clinic after being rescued from a burning apartment in Queens, officials say.

The dog, named Duke, was taken to BluePearl Veterinary Partners after the fire at his home in St. Albans Tuesday, the clinic said.

The dog’s fur was matted with soot, but he wasn’t burned. Firefighters were initially not able to find the pup's owner, but later located the owner in the hospital.

“When we saw the dog, he was covered with soot and he was shaking,” said Det. Tara Cuccias. “It was clear that he was in distress.”

The NYPD took the dog over to BluePearl, where it is being treated for exposure to carbon monoxide. Veterinarians are using a special mask to pump oxygen into Duke’s lungs.

The pet charity Frankie’s Friends is paying for Duke’s care, which BluePearl estimates at about $6,000. Donations can be made at the group’s website.

Barn Roofs Give Way Under Heavy, Wet Snow


A long winter that has yet to wind down has spread heavy, wet snow across the state, causing roofs to cave in and barns to collapse.

A cow barn at Triangle A Stables in Middlefield became the latest victim Wednesday morning when its roof came down, trapping six cows inside.

"You go into all emergency mode," said Triangle A manager Margaret Schaulis. "It's like you forget to call 911 at the time, and you just got to get every animal out."

The farm animals received only minor injuries, but they weren't the ony ones to have a close call.

This past Saturday, Emergency Animal Response Service – a volunteer organization that helps rescue and shelter animals during disasters – saved horses trapped inside a barn that crumpled from the snow in East Hampton.

"Essentially the same type of training that a fire department goes through for people getting people out of collapsed buildings, for example, except we focus on how to do that with animals," explained rescuer Jon Nowinski.

The barn at Stirrup Fun Stables on Mack Road in Lebanon also gave way to the pressure of snow. The horse rescue organization said the barn was crucial to operations and insurance won't cover the cost.

The structure itself will be $150,000 to replace, and ownership will have to shell out much to cover the cost of labor, according to the barn owner.

It's a devastating blow many now face.

"There's not a lot of insurances covering these collapses anymore. It's like flood insurance. Good luck," said Schaulis.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help Stirrup Fun Stables cover the cost of repairs.

Photo Credit: GoFundMe

Apparent Bad Batch of Gas Strands Drivers in South Windsor


Drivers who filled their tanks at a particular Valero station in South Windsor, Conn., founds themselves stranded on the side of the road Wednesday, thanks to an apparent bad batch of gas.

South Windsor police said they were called out to help drivers whose cars broke down after filling up at a Valero station on Sullivan Avenue.

It's not clear just how many cars were affected or exactly what was wrong with the gas. Drivers speculate there may have been water mixed in and said the gas station is reimbursing them for money spent Wednesday.

An employee working at the Valero station Wednesday night declined to comment on the incident and would not say whether the gas station will compensate affected customers.

Police said the gas station has been in business for a long time and they don't believe there was any criminal intent.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Teen Accused of Helping Another Join ISIS


A teenager from Woodbridge, Virginia, is in custody accused of helping another young man travel to Syria to join ISIS.

Sources tell News4 they fear the 17-year-old Osborne Park High School student may have tried to recruit other students to join ISIS.

His name has not been released.

He is being held in an undisclosed location as a juvenile.

The older teen, who traveled to Syria, is facing indictment in this case, but it's not clear where he is.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Prospect Street Closed in Willimantic


Prospect Street is closed in Willimantic because of a water main break, according to police.

The water main break is close to Eastern Connecticut State University and Prospect Street is closed
between Jackson and Oak streets.

Police said they expect a problem all morning as crews try to find and contain the break.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Selma to Montgomery March 50th Anniversary: By the Numbers


Thousands of people are expected to descend on Alabama this weekend to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Selma to Montgomery voting rights marches, according to reports.

On Saturday, President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush are among those expected to commemorate Bloody Sunday, when sheriff's deputies attacked with tear gas, batons and whips non-violent marchers who were trying to cross the Edmund Pettus Bridge on March 7, 1965. A record 95 members of Congress are also expected to be in Selma for the events, according to USA Today.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., leaders of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and members of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee had made Selma the center of their voter registration campaign for blacks. The marches, which continued after Bloody Sunday, are credited with leading the way to passage of the landmark Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Here's a look at historic marches and their impact:

3: The number of marches for black voting rights that took place in 1965 to complete the 54-mile journey from Selma to Alabama's capital Montgomery. 

2: Less than this percentage of Selma’s eligible black voters were allowed to register to vote at the time, according to the Martin Luther King, Jr., Research and Education Institute

600-Plus: The amount of people who attempted to march 54-miles Sunday, March 7, 1965, from Selma to Montgomery. While crossing the Edmund Pettis Bridge, Alabama state troopers and vigilantes beat the peaceful protesters with bullwhips, billy clubs and threw tear gas at them. Dozens were injured. Civil Right Activists and U.S. Rep. John Lewis (D-Georgia), who led the march, suffered a skull fracture, according to a transcript of his testimony during a federal hearing days after the march, on the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration’s website.

March 9: The date when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. led the second march, but turned the marchers around because state troopers again blocked the road. That night, a group of segregationists beat one a white minister to his death because he supported the Selma march. President Lyndon Johnson supported the marchers, and under the protection of Alabama National Guardsmen and FBI agents, Dr. King and about 300 people set off again on March 21 and marched 54 miles to Montgomery, according to the Martin Luther King, Jr., Research and Education Institute. They covered 7 to 17 miles per day, camped at night in supporters’ yards and were entertained by celebrities such as Harry Belafonte and Lena Horne.

March 15: President Lyndon Johnson addressed a joint session of Congress on this day in 1965, urging lawmakers to pass the Voting Rights Act that would protect African Americans from barriers that prevented them from voting.

March 25: The day when marchers arrived in Montgomery. Around 25,000 people stood before the state Capitol buliding, where Dr. King delivered the "How Long, Not Long" speech, according to the Library of Congress.

15: The age of Lynda Blackman Lowery, the youngest person to join King for the historic march. In a recent report, The Associated Press, the now 64-year old recalled that she got 28 stitches to close a wound on the back of her head and seven for a cut above her right eye.

1,500: The number of people who marched in Harlem in solidarity with the Selma voting rights struggle, according to the Library of Congress.

6 months: The number of months after Bloody Sunday until President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act into law on August 6, 1965. The law tackled discriminatory election practices that had prevented African Americans from being allowed to vote. States with a history of discrimination were since required to get federal approval before changing how they conducted elections. In the first four years after the law was enacted, the number of blacks eligible to vote rose from 23 to 61 percent, according to the Library of Congress.

January 9, 2015: The date when the Oscar nominated best picture movie "Selma" was wide released in the U.S. the The film, directed by Ava Marie DuVernay, chronicles Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and other civil rights leaders’ effort to secure equal voting rights and the march from Selma to Montgomery in 1965.

March 7, 2015: The date when the country will celebrate the 50th anniversary and reenactment of the historic march.

Photo Credit: AP
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

DirecTV Sub-Contractor Sexually Assaulted Customer: Police


West Hartford police have arrested a sub-contractor for DirecTV, who’s accused of sexually assaulting a customer during an appointment to install equipment.

Police responded to a home on Hillcrest Avenue around 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday to investigate the report of a sexual assault that had just happened and met with the victim.

She said Rashford Gordon, 38, of Bloomfield, made advances, then sexually assaulted her, police said. The victim was transported to Hartford Hospital.

Police notified Gordon’s employer and found him in Hartford, at his next appointment.

Gordon was charged with first-degree sexual assault and second-degree unlawful restraint and police.

Bond was originally set at $250,000, but was raised to $750,000. Gordon was arrested last year on domestic violence charges, as well as violation of a protective order.


Gordon said he cannot post bond and fears he will lose his job and his home.

A manager from his employer, Eastern Video Services, was also in court, but would not comment.

Police reccomend that you have someone with you when someone when workers come to your house.

Photo Credit: West Hartford Police

Wilfork Told He Won't be Re-Signed by Patriots


Vince Wilfork of the New England Patriots says he has been informed that the team will not be picking up his option.

He released the following statement via his Twitter account Thursday morning.

33-year-old Wilfork was drafted by the Pats in the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft. 

He played college football for the University of Miami. 

No. 75 was named both to the Pro Bowl and the All-Pro team in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. 

Wilfork is thanking the Patriots and fans for the past 11 years. 

He was due to receive a $4 million roster bonus by Monday and would have gotten $14 million over the next two seasons if it had been picked up.

It should be noted that Wilfork has not ruled out a return to New England next season.

Photo Credit: FILE - Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Killingly Schools Closed After Buses Picked Up Some Students


Public schools in Killingly were closed for the day, but the decision was made after buses picked up around half a dozen middle and high school students.

Superintendent Kevin Farr said a dusting was all they expected as of 5:30 a.m. and this was the first time in his 36-year career that he's had to cancel school after some students had already been picked up. 

"If I had the information I had at 6:30 (a.m) at 5:30 (a.m.) of how the road conditions were, I would have called school at 5:30," he said. 

This morning, what started as a dusting rapidly started getting worse.

"This was the type of snow that when it hit the ground and as soon as you drove on it, it turned to ice," Tony Shippee, superintendent of the Killingly Highway Department, said.

Drivers who had already picked up students started reporting problems and Shippee said his crews would not be able to treat the roads in time, so he told the district's bus superintendent not to allow any more school buses to go out.

Officials said the roads became slick around 15 minutes in the ride.

According to Farr, one driver reported a minor collision with a garbage truck, but said no one was hurt.

Parents were notified that school was closed for the day the half dozen middle and high school students who had been picked up were brought back home.

"After all the times I've done this over the years, this is the first time," Farr said.

The storm that started last night and continued to bring more snow to southern Connecticut, prompted almost 500 school cancelations and delays.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Route 72 East Reopens in New Britain


Route 72 East was closed at Route 9 in New Britain as state police responded to several crashes on Thursday morning. The road has since reopened.

State police said the road was like a “skating rink” and crews from the state Department of Transportation were called to treat the road.

During the closure, drivers could take exit 8, East Main Street, Columbus Boulevard and Route 71.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Crews Respond to House Fire in Shelton


Firefighters responded to a house fire in Shelton and found fire, but mostly smoke in the basement.

Officials said the fire was at the 83 Old Stratford Road, a single-family home, but no additional information was immediately.

The fire marshal is investigating.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

I-395 North Closed in Norwich


Interstate 395 North is closed in Norwich as crews move a tractor-trailer that jackknifed amid a snowstorm that’s bringing the heaviest accumulation to Southern Connecticut.

The crash happened in the area of exit 81, just before Route 2.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Enfield Dentist Due in Court on Homicide Charge


An Enfield dentist is due in court on Thursday after being arrested and charged with criminally negligent homicide in connection with the death of a patient in 2014.

Dr. Rashmi Patel has been charged with criminally negligent homicide and tampering with physical evidence in connection with the death of his patient, Judith Gan, 64, of Ellington and is due in court for a hearing on Thursday.

Gan went to Patel's office Enfield office on Feb. 17, 2014 to have 20 teeth extractions, bone grafting and implants installed when she became unresponsive. She was then transported to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Massachusetts, where she was pronounced dead.

In May, the state suspended Patel's license and the State Dental Commission held several days of hearings to determine whether the dentist's license should be re-instated and members found that Patel failed to respond appropriately when Gan's oxygen levels dropped.

In December, he was placed on five years of monitored probation, but the move to revoke his license altogether was denied.

The dentist has denied wrongdoing in the death.


Photo Credit: Enfield Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Connecticut River Academy Evacuated Over Bomb Threat


Connecticut River Academy in East Hartford is evacuated after a note with a bomb threat was found in one of the labs this morning, according to school office staff.

The East Hartford Police Department was immediately notified and students were allowed to grab their coats before they were evacuated.

Police are at the scene, checking the building.

Once they determine the scene is safe and secure, students will be allowed back inside.

Woman Assaults Police During Search: Police


West Haven police arrested a 19-year-old woman who is accused of assaulting a police officer who was serving a search warrant on Wednesday.

West Haven police were assisting State Police with serving a search warrant at 37 Phillips Terrace around 11:30 a.m. when Jasmin Turpin, 19, of Morse Avenue in West Haven, approached the officer and said police were probably there for her because she had a warrant, police said.

She became impatient while state police executed the warrant and began to interfere with the search, police said.

As police tried to move Turpin to another area of the house, she assaulted the officer, police said.

She was arrested and charged with interfering with police, assault and the failure to appear warrant.

She is due in court on March 17.

Photo Credit: West Haven Police

Mohegan Sun Reveals Plans for Earth Hotel


Mohegan Sun Casino, which is already one of the largest entertainment, gaming, dining and resort destinations in the country, will expand further with a second hotel tower in Uncasville.

On Thursday, plans for the interior and exterior design of the new 400-room Earth Hotel tower were unveiled at a news conference.

The $120 million project is modeled after the Sky Hotel, which opened om 2002.

The hotel is expected to employ more than 1,000 people with construction and permanent jobs, according to Mohegan Sun.

Attendees who planned to attend include Gov. Dannel Malloy, Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman, Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority CEO Mitchell Etess and Mohegan Tribe Chairman Kevin "Red Eagle" Brown.

The hotel is expected to open in 2016.

Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live