Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Sex Offender Stalking UHart Student: Authorities


A 51-year-old registered sex offender has been banned from the University of Hartford campus after allegedly harassing and possibly stalking a student, according to the public safety department.

Public safety officers are searching for Carmen Lord, 51, and ask anyone who sees him around campus to report the sighting immediately.

A spokesperson for the university said South Windsor police are heading up the investigation. The school is cooperating with authorities and working to make all sure students, staff members and employees are safe.

According to the university, a "persona non grata" order has been imposed against Lord, which will allow campus safety to detain him until police arrive if he shows up on campus.

Lord stands 5 feet, 7 inches tall, weighs 140 pounds and has brown and gray hair and brown eyes, according to UHart public safety. The state sex offender registry lists Lord as a resident of Huntington Street in Hartford.

He is believed to be driving a light-colored 1998 four-door Chevy Lumina with white-wall tires and rain guards on the windows. The car is registered in Connecticut and the plate number is 216-ZZA, public safety officials said.

Anyone with information is urged to call campus public safety by calling 7777 from a university phone or dialing 860-768-7777 from an outside line.

Photo Credit: University of Hartford Public Safety Department

Kidnap Suspect Wounded in Gunbattle With Deputies


Deputies on Friday shot and wounded a kidnap suspect in a gunbattle after a pursuit in South Los Angeles.

The gunbattle began at 5:25 p.m. in the 900 block of 43rd Street, authorities said.

The suspect got out of a white SUV at the end of a pursuit, fired a gun at deputies who returned fire, said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Nicole Nishida. He was hit at least once.

No deputies were hit.

"(He was) waving his arms back and forth, then I don't know what happened 'cause I just run back, 'cause I thought he was gonna, like, shoot," witness Jorge Gonzales said. "These patrol cars just came from the corner and told us to back away, then … gunshots just happened."

After he was hit, the man refused to surrender, holding deputies at bay for nearly 90 minutes.

With a red blood stain visible on the back of his white T-shirt, the man then staggered to the front porch of the home, where he remained, at times sitting up, until about 6:45 p.m., when he surrendered and was taken into custody.

A helicopter dropped a sheriff's team of SWAT medics from the Special Enforcement Bureau off nearby as the standoff unfolded and residents were evacuated from nearby homes.

The team was then seen moving into place near the house, where other deputies and firefighters were standing by.

He was wanted in connection with kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon against his wife in Paramount on Sunday, sheriff's officials said.

Deputies spotted the vehicle Friday, ran the license plate and discovered the vehicle was wanted for an armed kidnapping.

The SUV sped off, giving way to a pursuit.

Rosa Ordaz contributed to this report.

4 Arrested in Enfield Drug Bust


Four Enfield residents are facing charges after police found 256 bags of heroin, 10.6 grams of cocaine and $8,000 cash at a home on Pearl Street.

Police searched the unit at 134A Pearl Street on Friday and took four people into custody, three of whom live in the apartment.

Miguel Carrucini, 32; Jacob VanEpp, 30; Joanna Miller, 24; and Eddie Arce, 25; have each been charged with possession of narcotics with intent to sell, possession of narcotics within 1,500 feet of a school, daycare or public housing complex; and tampering with evidence.

Police said Carrucini, VanEpp and Miller are all residents of 134A Pearl Street. Their bonds were set at $400,000 each.

Arce lives on Beech Road in Enfield. His bond was set at $50,000.

5 in Police Custody in McDonald's Melee


Police took another teenage girl into custody Saturday in connection with the savage gang beating of a 15-year-old girl inside a Brooklyn McDonald's -- the fifth suspect apprehended in the attack that was video-recorded by onlookers and went viral on the Internet.

Two of the suspects, Telani Marshall, 17, and a 15-year-old girl whose name is not being released because she is being charged as a minor, appeared in court Saturday.

They were arrested in Brooklyn Friday on robbery and gang assault charges after they turned themselves in to police, according to the NYPD. Marshall was charged as an adult.

Marshall said nothing in court, but her attorney, Audrey Thomas, argued that her client isn't in the video and had nothing to do with the gang attack.

"My client has been crying ever since the detectives called her mom," Thomas said after the hearing. "I'm confident that this case is going to be dismissed eventually as the facts unfold."

Another 16-year-old girl turned herself in on Saturday morning to face the same charges. She's also expected to be charged as an adult.

One teen was taken into custody in Atlanta at the airport Friday as she sat on a plane that was set to head to Jamaica, a law enforcement official told NBC 4 New York. The NYPD alerted local authorities there, and they were able to take the girl off the plane before it departed.

She's expected to be charged once she's brought back to New York, police said.

Sixteen-year-old Aniah Ferguson, the alleged ringleader in the Monday brawl, was the first suspect to be arrested in the assault earlier in the week. She was arraigned Friday on charges of robbery and gang assault, and is being charged as an adult.

Ferguson has been arrested half a dozen times since September on various offenses, including for allegedly attacking a pregnant woman in an emergency room and her own grandmother, records show.

In court Thursday, Ferguson's public defender said the teen has been attending counseling once a week for the past year in an effort to "better her life." Prosecutors allege she was the ringleader in the McDonald's beatdown and stole the victim's bag, makeup and phone after the attack.

They also allege she is part of the Young Savages gang, a violent group known to be involved in patterns of violence and credit card scams.

Ferguson, who lives with her mother and grandmother she has been accused of attacking, was ordered held on $500,000 bail. She also has a 1-year-old daughter. None of the three attended her arraignment Friday.

Video of the McDonald's attack, which was posted on Facebook, shows four girls, all believed to be Erasmus Hall High School students, repeatedly punching and kicking another teen wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt while throngs of bystanders shout in the background.

The larger group continues to attack the teen in the blue sweatshirt, even pulling out her hair extensions, until the girl huddles underneath a table with her hands over her head. At one point, one of the girls in the group stomps on the victim's head. The victim suffered a concussion, bruises and contusions, according to a criminal complaint.

At several points during the fight, bystanders can be heard saying, "She’s dead," and, "You murdered her."

The video ends with several students picking the girl up off the ground and putting her on a bench.

Police initially said the investigation had been hampered by a lack of cooperating witnesses, including the girl in the blue sweatshirt and her mother, but NBC 4 New York learned Friday that the victim had come forward to file a police report.

The Department of Education, meanwhile, called the actions seen in the video "abhorrent."

Photo Credit: NBC 4 New York

Two-Car Crash in South Windsor


Two drivers sustained minor injuries after a crash in South Windsor on Friday night.

The front of the cars involved in the crash at Ellington Road and Lipman Drive were heavily damaged.

South Windsor firefighters responded and police are investigating the crash.

Photo Credit: South Windsor Fire Department

Philly Police Honor Hero Officer


Philadelphia Police lined JFK Boulevard before sunrise Saturday, preparing for the caisson procession that brought the casket carrying fallen Officer Robert Wilson III to the Palestra at the University of Pennsylvania.

Only the drumming of the Philadelphia Police Honor Guard and the somber footsteps of hundreds of officers could be heard  as the horse drawn carriage weaved through the wet West Philly streets.

The grieving began long before the public viewing began at 7 a.m. Saturday at the Palestra on South 33rd Street in University City.

"It affects everyone around the United States, especially our brothers here, our brothers and sisters in the police department," said Kevin Sexworth, a member of the Philadelphia Police Honor Guard.

Thirty-year-old Wilson, a father of two, was shot during a robbery at a GameStop at Hope Plaza Shopping Center on Lehigh Avenue in North Philadelphia last Thursday. He died from his injuries at Temple University Hospital a few hours later.

Family photos of the 8-year police veteran flashed on a video screen as mourners gathered inside the historic Ivy League gym.

The 22nd District officer's badge name and number was displayed on the Palestra's scoreboard.

Officers from across the region lined the sidewalk outside the UPenn facility, waiting for the 10 a.m. funeral services to begin.

Rain fell as officers stood alongside their patrol vehicles, lights flashing, on 33rd Street between Spruce and Market streets blocking traffic.

The procession began on JFK Boulevard near 30th Street Station, continued west on Market Street to 34th Street, and then headed south to Spruce Street before turning east to 33rd Street.

Police said drivers should expect congestion surrounding the Palestra, which is located at the corner of 33rd and Spruce/South streets, until at least 1 p.m.

Burial at Fernwood Cemetery in Lansdowne, Pennsylvania will immediately follow the funeral. The funeral procession will start its route to the cemetery around noon -- requiring the following road closures:

  • Walnut Street – Schuylkill Avenue to the 63rd Street
  • 63rd Street/Cobbs Creek Parkway – Walnut Street to 61st Street
  • 61st Street – Cobbs Creek to Baltimore Avenue
  • Baltimore Avenue – 61st Street to Church Lane

Wilson was in full uniform when brothers Carlton Hipps, 30, and Ramone Williams, 26, entered the GameStop store and announced the robbery, subsequently sparking a "fierce and violent" gun battle that ended with the officer being shot in the head and killed, said Homicide Capt. Darrell Clark.

Wilson is being hailed a hero and is credited with saving the lives of customers and store employees, according to Ramsey.  Williams and Hipps are charged with his murder.

Fellow officers setup a trust fund for Wilson's family. Checks can be mailed and made payable to:

The Robert Wilson III Family Memorial Trust Fund
Police and Fire Federal Credit Union
901 Arch St.
Philadelphia, Pa. 19107

A GoFundMe page was also created so donations can be made online.

Photo Credit: Philadelphia Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Candle Sparks Wall Fire at Torrington Apartment


A neighbor saw flames coming from an apartment in Torrington Friday afternoon and extinguished the fire sparked by a candle, according to Torrington firefighters.

A wall caught fire in the 226 Washington Ave. apartment because a burning candle was placed too close to it, firefighters said. The flames moved up the wall and the neighbor used a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze before it could spread to an apartment next door.

Three people live in the unit and none of them were injured, but the apartment did sustain minor damage.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Person Extricated From Car After Crash


Shelton firefighters extricated at least one person pinned in a vehicle after a crash on Route 8 south near exit 12 Saturday afternoon.

As rain poured down on Route 8, there was also another accident on the northbound side in Naugatuck near exit 26 causing delays.

There is no word on injuries for either crash.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Yale Plays Harvard for Chance at NCAA Tourney


The Yale Bulldogs are just one game away from a birth to the ‘Big Dance,’ facing rival Harvard.

The last time Yale made it to the NCAA tournament for basketball, John F. Kennedy was president. That was 1962.

The men’s basketball team tied the Harvard Crimson going 11-3 in conference play.

The teams won on each other’s home court, going 1-1 on the season.

Both men’s basketball teams will square off Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia, marking the first time in more than four decades that the two teams meet three times in a season.

The winner of the Ivy League playoff punches their ticket to the NCAA Tournament, earning an automatic bid.

Harvard has been in the NCAA Tournament for the last three years in a row, and leads the series with Yale 115 to 75 games.

A watch party is scheduled at Monty’s on York in New Haven.

You can also watch the game broadcast live on NBC Connecticut’s sister station, Cozi TV.

Tipoff is at 4 p.m.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hartford Mayor Gets New Campaign Manager


Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra announced Saturday that he has a new campaign manager for his mayoral run to reclaim his post.

He is replacing his previous campaign manager Patrick Romano with Michael Beckendorf.

"I want to let you know that as of today, we are parting ways with DNA Campaigns and Mr. Patrick Romano," Segarra said in an email. "The opening weeks of the campaign did not reflect the city's accomplishments, momentum and progress. For numerous reasons, I believe it is best to move in a different direction."

Beckendorf is based out of Washington D.C. and has previously overseen campaigns in other states, according to the mayor. He helped get U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Oregon) re-elected as coordinated campaign director for Oregon's Democratic party, Segarra said. Pete Gallego was elected to Congress in San Antonio Texas with the help of Beckendorf as his field director, according to the mayor.

Gym Evacuated During Roof Fire


A Southport gym was evacuated Saturday morning as a fire raged on the roof.

The Fairfield Fire Department received numerous calls from drivers on Interstate 95 north reporting seeing flames shooting from a building near the Delamar Hotel in Southport close to 7:36 a.m. The manager of Gym at Southport Athletic, the former Southport Racquet club, at 226 Old Post Road in Southport called the fire department as crews were responding to alert them to a fire on the roof of the building.

Fairfield Fire Lt. Lee Corbo was heading home after an overnight night shift in his private vehicle when he saw the flames as he was driving by the gym. He stopped and helped the manager get people out of the building before firefighters got there.

"We were very lucky to receive early notification of this fire from alert commuters before interior smoke detectors were activated," Assistant Chief Scott Bisson said. "The fire damaged the roof of the building along with gas and electric utilities requiring repair but most portions of the business are still able to operate at a limited capacity while these repairs are being performed.”

No one was injured, but there were still smoke issues inside as the fire grew on the roof, according to fire officials. The blaze was still going when firefighters arrived.

As crews climbed ladders and brought a hose in to drown out the flames, they discovered two fires on the roof stemming from separate natural gas lines where repair work had been done this past week, according to fire officials.

The utilities had to be shut down and more fire units responded, accessing water from a fire hydrant, opening up the roof to put out "the hidden fire" and to get hoses into the building to make sure the fire didn't spread further, the fire department said. Crews also brought in tarps to block rain from falling through the holes in the roof and damaging wooden floors in the building.

People were allowed back in the gym to get their belongings after being kept outside for a short time.

The fire marshal and building official responded to investigate the source of the fire. Area fire departments and off-duty Fairfield firefighters covered the Fairfield stations and emergency calls as Fairfield crews were on scene at the gym fire.

The fire remains under investigation and the fire marshal's office is not deeming it suspicious.

The scene was cleared by 10:29 a.m.

Photo Credit: Fairfield Fire Department

Stabbing at Hartford Nightclub Ruled a Homicide


A Springfield, Massachusetts man died after he was stabbed early Saturday morning in Hartford and police have ruled it a homicide, according to police.

When police responded to Club Symmetry Vine at 70 Union Place at about 1:30 a.m., they  were led inside the club to a side room where they found a 24-year-old man with a stab wound to the upper right chest.

The injury appeared to be life-threatening and an ambulance rushed him to St. Francis Hospital. The victim was brought to the Intensive Care Unit after undergoing surgery, but police said he has since died.

The major crimes division is investigating it as a homicide, according to Deputy Chief Brian Foley.

Police haven't released the name of the man killed and no arrests have been made at this time.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

3 Rescued, 1 Dead, as Tugboat Sinks


The U.S. Coast Guard rescued three survivors from a sunken tugboat Saturday in the icy Atlantic Ocean, but reported that one crew member had died and his body was recovered.

The three survivors were treated for hypothermia and reported in fair condition. Their identities and the identity of the fatality were not disclosed.

The tugboat Sea Bear was traveling from Shinnecok to New York City when the crew called a vessel traffic service to report that the tug was taking on water, said Coast Guard Command Duty Officer Mark Averill. The vessel service notified the Coast Guard in New Haven, Conn., at about 2:50 p.m. and rescue boats and a helicopter were dispatched to the location.

As Coast Guard rescuers approached, the tugboat's emergency transmission died. The vessel sank off the coast of Fire Island Pines.

Despite a thick blanket of fog, a Coast Guard boat from Fire Island reached the location in about 45 minutes and found the three survivors wearing emergency immersion suits, Averill said. They were huddled together in the water.

The water temperature was 37 degrees, Averill said.

The Coast Guard searched and at about 5 p.m. found the fourth tug crew member, who wasn't wearing an immersion suit. His body was found near the spot where the vessel sank.

Catholic Group Wants "St. Patrick" Out of Parade


With a second LGBT group being allowed to march in the South Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade on Sunday, a Catholic group is urging parade organizers to remove the saint's name.

The Catholic Action League said Saturday that it wants the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council to change the parade's name after LGBT rights group Boston Pride was admitted.

OutVets, an LGBT veterans group, was told late last year that it would be allowed to march.

"In Catholic tradition, 'the sin of impurity against nature' is one of four sins 'which cry out to heaven [sic] for vengeance,'" the Catholic Action League wrote in a statement. "As homosexual groups enter the parade, Catholic organizations, which is to say people who belong to the religion of Saint Patrick, have been pulling out."

The Immaculate Heart of Mary School and the Knights of Columbus have decided not to participate following the decision to allow LGBT groups to march.

"The saint's venerable name should not be cheaply misappropriated by nominally Catholic politicians and anti-Catholic organizations with a same sex agenda," said Catholic Action League Executive Director C.J. Doyle in the statement. "Call it whatever you want, but don't debase the name of Saint Patrick by associating it with the tawdry circus that will take place on Broadway tomorrow."

You can watch the St. Patrick's Day Breakfast and the parade live Sunday on necn and necn.com. Coverage begins at 9 a.m.

Photo Credit: necn

Rain, Dense Fog Could Cause Visibility Issues for Drivers


Rain and dense fog could cause some visibility issues Saturday night for drivers.

Rain is expected to taper off overnight into the morning, but there could be some isolated showers on Sunday.

Download the NBC Connecticut weather app for more information, follow our updates online and tune in for updates.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Homes Evacuated in Lisbon Due to Hazmat Incident


A few homes were evacuated on Rimek Road in Lisbon due to a situation involving possiblyhazardous materials, according to state police.

Multiple departments responded around 1:30p.m. Sunday afternoon to investigate a hazmat incident involving some kind of gas. State police say one person is dead and that it is being investigated as a possible suicide.

Chief Mark Robinson of the Lisbon fire department says one person who entered the affected home was transported to Backus Hospital as a precaution. No other injuries were reported.

Robinson says the regional hazmat response team responded and determined there was no risk to the public. Residents were let back into their homes and the road reopened around 8:30 p.m.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Ezell Ford Witness Fatally Shot


A man who was fatally shot as he sat in a car in South Los Angeles, California, on Friday night was a possible witness in the Ezell Ford police shooting case, an attorney for the Ford family said.

The slain man was identified by the LA County Coroner's Office as 46-year-old Leroy Hill. He was gunned down about 11:49 p.m. near 65th Street and Broadway in what investigators said was a possible gang-related shooting.

Hill was killed in the same neighborhood where Ford, a 25-year-old mentally ill man, was killed by LAPD officers last August.

An attorney for the Ford family said Hill was a witness in that case, but his death was unlikely to affect any legal proceeding connected to the Ford incident.

After he was shot, Hill crashed his car and was later pronounced dead at the scene, police said. 

Officers later said another person also approached Hill on a bike, and that one of the two shot the him in the torso.

Police have not found the gunman and do not have a description, officers said.

Ford, 25, was shot Aug. 11 when LAPD Officers Sharlton Wampler and Antonio Villegas confronted Ford, who police said was making "suspicious movements" when he turned and "grabbed one of the officers."

City News Service contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: OnScene.tv

Ice Crashes Through Skylight in Simsbury


A Simsbury family says giant chunks of ice slid off their roof and crashed through one skylight and damaged another one.

One chunk, which they estimated weighed more than fifty-pounds, landed in a sitting room.

“We would have been killed today. Thank god that we were not sitting here,” says Giri Agrawal of Simsbury.

“Lucky enough we were out today and did not sit and just thinking of it gave me chills,” says Gita Agrawal of Simsbury.

Contractors say this has been one of the worst seasons they’ve ever seen for ice dams on roofs and now that everything is melting it’s creating some potentially dangerous effects.

For the Agrawal family, an entire section of ice had slid off an upper floor roof and landed on a roof below, smashing through the one skylight and damaging another.

While this case is extreme, Paul McCartney, who is president of Armorseal, says this season he’s seen a lot of cases of ice sliding off roofs.

He says this is most common with homes which have covers installed to keep leaves out of the gutters.

“It’s a metal cover over the gutter and it allows ice to slip off rather easily,” says McCartney.

He says roofs with ice stops or even open gutters are more likely to hold back ice dams, allowing them to melt slowly, and not come crashing down.

McCartney would like manufacturers to look into changes to the covers, including adding ice stops.

From the Agrawal family, it’s the second year in a row facing the same problem and more than $10,000 worth of repairs.

“In the spring here, we have to something so this thing doesn’t happen again,” says Giri Agrawal.

If you do have the gutter product installed on your home, contractors say there are steps you can take to make sure problems don’t develop; you can also install heating cables or use a snow rake to clear off your roof.

Photo Credit: Gita Agrawal

Seahawks Lynch Involved in Fight


Seattle Seahawks star running back Marshawn Lynch was reportedly involved in a fight outside a San Francisco, California, bar Friday night, according to TMZ Sports.

Lynch was reportedly leaving the bar with his group when a man, who may have been intoxicated, started to repeatedly call the football star a "Seattle sea chicken." That is when the fight started between the man and Lynch's friends, TMZ Sports said.

The video appears to show Lynch trying to pull people away from the fight. A witness told TMZ Sports Lynch threw punches before walking away.

San Francisco police said they responded to an incident at the bar, but nobody matching Lynch's name was arrested, cited, or named.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

LAPD Officer Sought in Slaying


A rookie Los Angeles Police Department officer was wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of a man in Pomona, California, officials said Saturday.

Henry Solis, a 27-year-old probationary officer, was sought as a "person of interest," Pomona Police Department officials said.

"Solis' whereabouts is unknown, and we have reason to believe that he knows the police are looking to talk with him," Pomona police said in a news release.

LAPD officials said Solis did not show up to work Saturday and they have not been able to locate him. Foul play was not believed to be a factor in the officer's disappearance.

LAPD Commander Andrew Smith said Solis was a "probationer police officer" who entered the police academy in June 2014. Solis was assigned to Devonshire Division in November 2014 and has been working there with a training officer. His probationary period was set to end in November 2015.

Police were searching for Solis in connection with the killing of a 23-year-old man who was shot after getting into a fight with another man in Pomona early Friday morning.

Solis was off-duty at the time, police said.

Officers responding to multiple 911 calls of shots fired in the area of Third and Main streets about 3:30 a.m. found the victim suffering from gunshot wounds to his upper body, Pomona Police Department officials said.

The victim, identified by police as Ontario resident Salome Rodriguez, Jr., was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, where he later died.

Homicide detectives said Rodriguez and the gunman had gotten into a "physical altercation" prior to the shooting. They don't believe the men knew each other and say the incident was not gang related.

Police said a compact car was seen leaving the area after the shooting, but it was unknown if it was connected to the incident.

Solis drives a silver or gray 2013 Volkswagen Jetta with California license plate 7FAS527. He is described as 5-foot-9-inches tall, weighing 185 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.

Smith said "without getting into the nuts and bolts" of the investigation, the LAPD was helping Pomona police in locating Solis, but that the case was ultimately a "Pomona PD caper."

Rodriguez's friends said they were in disbelief to hear that an LAPD officer was wanted in connection with his murder.

The victim was a "hard worker, great friend, upbeat fun guy," said George Martinez. “No reason to get in a fight with anybody. Just a great guy all around."

People gathered at the intersection in prayer Saturday night.

"Pomona PD has been really good about holding it down here in Pomona, just to hear that somebody from the Los Angeles Police Department is involved is unbelievable,” said bartender Jose Baez.

Anyone with information on the incident was asked to call Pomona police at 909-620-2085.

NBC4's Pablo Kay and Kate Larsen contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: Pomona Police Department
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live