Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

WATCH: Sergio Garcia Climbs Tree to Hit One-Handed Backward Shot


After his first shot ended up in a tree, Sergio Garcia made a difficult decision. Rather than take a one-stroke penalty, he climbed the massive tree and managed to play his next swing backwards, with one hand.

Even the usually calm commentators shared a chuckle while Garcia scaled the tree after his first shot on the par 4 tenth hole ended up in one Sunday during the final round of the 2013 Arnold Palmer Invitational. After one of the announcers joshed that Garcia may need a "tree wedge" to get the ball out, they were amazed at his Spider-Man-esque climbing ability.

"Wow, he's nimble," one of the commentators said.

Garcia tried to maneuver around the branches for several possible shots, including one that would have sent the ball between his legs. He ultimately settled for the one-handed behind the back wedge shot. For a second, he looked more like basketballer John Stockton than a pro golfer.

But it worked. Despite the mistake, Garcia hit the ball on to the green and finished off the escapade by jumping off the tree and landing perfectly on both feet.

Watch the video below:

9-Year-Old Crowned Chess Master


A 9-year-old boy from Wisconsin was officially dubbed a Chess Master this weekend.

At the young age of 13, Bobby Fischer became the youngest US Chess Master of his time. Since then, there have been an impressive wave of young chess masters. In 2010, 9-year-old Samuel Sevian stole the youngest title from Nicholas Nip, also 9. Now, there's a new wonder joining the ranks--Awonder Liang, of Madison.

The Dayton Daily News reported on the Midwest Open Team Chess festival held in Dayton where Awonder put his five years of chess playing to the test. Awonder has become the youngest chess master in the country, Riley Driver, the sponsor for the event and owner of the Dayton Chess Club, told the Daily News.

Michael Schauer, tournament director, said that Awonder earned his title by achieving a United States Chess Federation rank of 2200. "Some people study their whole life and never achieve it," he said of the rare achievement.

Awonder said, however, that reaching master status during the tournament wasn't his primary goal.

"I just try to do my best and I tried to play for a win," he told the Daily News.

Wherever Awonder's future may lead he'll hold the title of chess master for life.



Photo Credit: Getty Images

Man Arrested After Children Hang Out New Haven Window


A New Haven man was arrested on Friday evening after police received a 911 call reporting two young children hanging from a second-floor window and throwing things out of it.

Police responded to a Fair Haven residence at 6:45 p.m. after a neighbor knocked on the door of the residence and did not get a response, police said.

Responding officers found the children in the open and unscreened window, around 20 feet off the ground, throwing curtains, clothes and other objects from it and adult neighbors were trying to get them inside, police said.

A police officer pounded on the door until Ernest Boulanger, 43, eventually answered. When he opened the door, he had glassy eyes and smelled of alcohol, police said.

Inside the apartment, police found empty 24-ounce beer cans on the kitchen table and Boulanger told police he'd worked a long shift at work and drank the three cans of beer "to wind down," police said.

Police also said the apartment was in disarray, with cigarette ashes on the floor, a window fan with exposed blades, filthy bedding, trash on the floor and a sink filled with dirty dishes.

A 7-month old girl wearing a soiled diaper was crying in a dirty crib in a back bedroom, police said.

A 1-year-old boy wearing a soiled diaper and a 3-year old boy were also inside, police said.

Boulanger told police that the children's mother had left the children with him when he got home and fell asleep, police said.

Police contacted the state Department of Children & Families and the Yale Child Study Center.

DCF removed the children and will investigate.

Boulanger was arrested and charged with three counts of risking injury to children.

Court records show that Boulanger was charged with second-degree breach of peace in New Haven on Jan. 13.

Time Names 140 Best Twitter Feeds of 2013


For the third year running, Time magazine released its list of the best 140 Twitter feeds.

Time editors' non-comprehensive list of those who "exemplify the very best wit and wisdom Twitter has to offer" includes politicians (Marco Rubio, Chuck Grassley) celebrities (Solonge, Lena Dunham), activists (Chelsea Clinton, Bill Gates), professional athletes (Hope Solo, Serena Williams) and more.

While there are "more deserving tweeters" than the Time editors could tally, they chose 140 prolific microbloggers— in homage to Twitter's 140 character limit per tweet. The tweeters were placed in 14 pre-designated categories.

In addition, Time showcased 15 alumni of their yearly lists of Twitter users to follow, including Shaq, Cory Booker and R.L. Stein.

Did your favorite artist/politician/comedian make it? Check out the full list here.


Photo Credit: AFP/Getty Images

Man Accused of Assaulting Toddler and Woman


A 29-year-old New Haven man has been arrested, accused of assaulting a 2-year-old girl and his girlfriend

Police responded to a Read Street apartment just before 1 a.m. on Saturday to investigate a report of domestic assault.

A witness told police that a man and woman were arguing and the caller reported it after hearing the man scream, "You got blood on my bed. … I should kill you," police said.

When police arrived, no adults were home and a 14-year-old boy who was there said he didn't know what had gone on, police said.

Inside, police found a 2-year-old girl in a back bedroom with a bloodied lip, a swollen knee and a red marks across her face, police said.

A 6-year old boy and a 12-year-old boy were also in the apartment, asleep on the third floor, police said.

As police were arranging for emergency medical care for the little girl, her mother arrived and said the little girl was Jequan Lee’s daughter and the toddler was staying with him
and his new girlfriend.

Then the girlfriend arrived.

Police realized that she had been assaulted as well and she told investigators that Lee was drinking and she tried to intervene when she heard him trying to discipline the young girl with a belt, police said.

The woman suffered a severe laceration to her left elbow and police believe Lee tried to attack her with a knife.

She had swollen black eyes as well, police said.

The injured child and woman were taken to the hospital by ambulance and investigators searched for Lee.

In a bedroom of the Read Street residence, police said they found 106 bags of marijuana.

Police said they found Lee hiding beneath a pile of dirty clothes in the basement of 350 Shelton Ave., police said.

Officers arrested Lee and he was charged with assault in the second degree; assault in the third degree; risk of injury to a minor; interfering with police; and two drug charges, including possession of marijuana with the intent to sell.

Police continue to investigate.

Chad Johnson Probation Reduced, Wants Return to NFL


Former NFL star Chad Johnson was in a Florida court for a hearing Monday where his probation was reduced for finishing anger management courses related to his arrest on a domestic battery charge last year.

Johnson will be placed on administrative probation and won't have to show up to court again, essentially ending his probation term, said his attorney, Adam Swickle.

After the hearing in a Broward County court, Johnson met with reporters, telling them he was ready to "live life to the fullest as I did before," and attempt a return to the NFL.

Chad Johnson Pleads No Contest, Gets Probation

"It's unfortunate that I made a terrible mistake, I've apologized as many times as I could," Johnson said. "Hopefully right now my focus is to get back in the league, to play the game that I love so dearly, that I worked so dearly since I was a baby to achieve and make that a dream of mine. To have that taken away from you is a horrible blow."

The 34-year-old wide receiver was arrested in August for allegedly head-butting his then-wife, reality TV star Evelyn Lozada, in their Davie, Fla. home.

Johnson Cops Plea Deal, Avoids Jail in Battery Case

According to Davie police, Lozada found a receipt for condoms and confronted Johnson about it at dinner. The argument continued during their drive home, and when they arrived at their driveway, he allegedly head-butted her.

Johnson was cut by the Miami Dolphins the next day, and Lozada later filed for divorce.

The confrontation came barely a month after Johnson married Lozada, who is on the reality TV show "Basketball Wives." Johnson had been battling for a spot on the Dolphins after a disappointing season with the New England Patriots in 2011.

Johnson and Lozada Divorce Finalized

"I think I've learned my lesson, I've become a better man with the classes that I've attended, the people that I've met, throughout this journey," Johnson said Monday. "I think that storm is over now and the sun is somewhat peeking back out and I'm just looking forward to what's to come."

Photo Credit: NBC6.com

Police Warn of Facebook Child Porn Virus Video


Police in several towns have issued a warning about a computer virus that involves a video on Facebook.

According to Simsbury Police, the video is shared through Facebook and appears to be from a friend, though it is actually child pornography. 

Several Farmington High School students have received the video on their Facebook accounts, police said.

Once opened, the video virus automatically attaches to the user's Facebook account and shares the video with all of his or her Facebook friends.

NBC Connecticut viewers who have received the video say it doesn't appear to be child pornography before opening and contains the phrase "watch this if you're curious."

New Britain police posted the warning on the Department's Facebook page.  According to New Britain police, authorities in Farmington, Cromwell and Hartford have contacted the FBI about the video.

Avon schools also sent an email to parents and staff members about the Facebook virus threat.

"Although your child may not attend FHS (Farmington High School), other students or siblings in the area may have Facebook accounts that could be affected and we wanted to alert you of this situation immediately,"  Gary Mala, Avon superintendent, said in the email.  "The video is quite graphic and it will be very disturbing."

The Farmington School District also sent out a email out.

“I’m very concerned that something like this would be circulating,” said Superintendent Kathleen Greider.   

She emailed every parent and at least three other districts sent out alerts too.  That way parents could tell their students about the video, and not to click on video links.

“We wanted to get a communication out to them immediately,” Greider said.

Police and school officials are asking parents to warn their children to be aware of the virus and not to open the video if they see it.

Cyprus' Banks to Stay Closed Until Thursday


Cyprus has extended the closure of its banks for two more days — until Thursday — a sudden postponement that comes after the country's leaders spent days struggling to come up with a plan to raise the money needed to secure an international bailout.

Banks in the country have already been closed for more than a week to prevent a run on deposits. All except the country's two largest lenders had been due to open Tuesday morning after the country clinched an eleventh-hour deal with the 17-nation eurozone and the International Monetary Fund to provide Cyprus with a bailout.

Without that deal, the country's banks would have collapsed, dragging down the economy and potentially pushing it out of the eurozone.

For full world news coverage, visit NBCNews.com.

The decision to keep banks closed two more days was announced late Monday. The Central Bank said that "for the smooth functioning of the entire banking system, the finance minister has decided, after a recommendation by the governor of the Central Bank, that all banks remain shut up to and including Wednesday."

Banks have been closed since March 16 to avert a run on deposits as the country's politicians struggled to come up with a way to raise enough funds to qualify for the bailout. An initial deal that would have seized up to 10 percent of people's bank accounts spooked depositors and was soundly rejected by lawmakers early last week.

ATMs have been functioning, but many run quickly out of cash, and a daily withdrawal limit of 100 euros was imposed on the two largest lenders, Bank of Cyprus and Laiki.

Under the deal reached in the early hours of Monday morning in Brussels, Cyprus agreed to slash its oversized banking sector and inflict hefty losses on large depositors in troubled banks to secure the 10 billion euro ($13 billion) bailout.

The new plan allows for the bulk of the funds to be raised by forcing losses on accounts of more than 100,000 euros in Laiki and Bank of Cyprus, with the remainder coming from tax increases and privatizations.

People and businesses with more than 100,000 euros in their accounts at Laiki face significant losses. The bank will be dissolved immediately into a bad bank containing its uninsured deposits and toxic assets, with the guaranteed deposits being transferred to the nation's biggest lender, Bank of Cyprus.

Deposits at Bank of Cyprus above 100,000 euros will be frozen until it becomes clear whether or to what extent they will also be forced to take losses. Those funds will eventually be converted into bank shares.

It is not yet clear how severe the losses would be to Laiki's large bank deposit holders, but the euro finance ministers noted the restructure expected to yield 4.2 billion euros ($5.4 billion) overall. Analysts have estimated investors might lose up to 40 percent of their money.

Speaking about the marathon negotiations in Brussels that resulted in the deal, Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades said that "the hours were difficult, at some moments dramatic. Cyprus found itself a breath away from economic collapse."

The agreement, he said, "is painful, but under the circumstances the best we could have ensured. The danger of Cyprus' bankruptcy is definitively overcome and the tragic consequences for the economy and society are averted." 


Fallen Soldier Remembered in Guilford


Hundreds turned out on Monday to say goodbye to a Connecticut soldier killed in Afghanistan.

St. George's Church in Guilford was filled with friends and family of Army Captain Andrew Pedersen-Keel. The Avon Old Farms graduate was one of two U.S. soldiers killed when a man dressed as an Afghan police officer opened fire on U.S. and Afghan forces on March 11.

He was remembered Monday as a hero.

"A person who was dedicated to his military service, his training," said Col. John Whitford, of the Connecticut National Guard. "He was very proud of his job."

After graduating from Avon Old Farms, Capt. Pedersen-Keel attended The U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

He was awarded several medals and commendations for his service and was on his second tour in Afghanistan when he was killed. Pedersen-Keel was supposed to come home in May.

He will be buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery on Wednesday.

Two Shot in Hartford, One Dead


One person is dead and one critically injured after a shooting in Hartford Monday night.

Police are investigatin the shooting in the area of 124 and 128 Clark Street.

According to police one victim was taken to St. Francis Hospital by his father, the other was taken by ambulance.

A 19 year old male  has died and a 30 year old male is on life support, police said.

Police say they do not know the motive yet. The shooter is still at large.

Boeing 787 Dreamliner Makes Test Flight


A Boeing 787 with a redesigned battery system made a 2-hour test flight on Monday, and the company said the event "went according to plan."

The test flight was an important step in Boeing Co.'s plan to convince safety regulators to let airlines resume using the plane, which the company calls the Dreamliner.

Boeing will analyze information from the flight and prepare for another flight — using the same plane — to demonstrate the 787's performance to the Federal Aviation Administration, said company spokesman Marc Birtel.

For full U.S. news and business coverage, visit NBCNews.com.

The timing of that demonstration flight has not been set, Birtel said. Boeing hopes to get 787s flying again within weeks, not months, but that decision will be made by aviation regulators in the U.S., Japan and elsewhere. Worldwide, airlines own about 50 Dreamliners.

The fleet has been grounded since January after lithium-ion batteries aboard two planes overheated. The battery on a Japan Airlines 787 caught fire after it landed in Boston, and the battery on an All Nippon Airways jet began smoking during a flight in Japan, forcing an emergency landing.

Boeing added insulation around battery cells and a steel casing on the outside to prevent fires. Company officials have said that they might never know the cause of the smoldering batteries. The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board and Japanese authorities are investigating the incidents.

The NTSB plans to hold a forum next month in Washington on the use of lithium-ion batteries in transportation. The agency said Monday that the event April 11-12 will focus on design and performance of the batteries and regulation of their manufacturing and use.

For Monday's test flight, Boeing used a 787 that it built for LOT Polish Airlines. The plane took off about an hour later than planned from Paine Field near Seattle, flew out over the Pacific and down the coast to Oregon before returning to the same airfield.

Birtel, the Boeing spokesman, said the plane's 6-member crew tested landing gear, electrical and backup systems to show that all of them functioned as designed. The same plane had a similar test flight in January, but that was before the changes to the battery system.

Boeing declined to provide access to the plane or its facilities before or after the flight.

Shares of Chicago-based Boeing rose 3 cents to close at $84.85.

Photo Credit: AP

Former Texas Trooper Indicted in Roadside Cavity Search


The female Texas trooper who performed a roadside cavity search on two women has been indicted by a Dallas County grand jury.

The two women from Irving, Texas, are suing Trooper David Farrell, Trooper Kelley Helleson and the director of the state's Department of Public Safety for what they call an unconstitutional search without probable cause.

The Department of Public Safety terminated Trooper Kelly Helleson. Dallas County District Attorney spokeswoman Debbie Denmon confirmed on Monday that a grand jury indicted Helleson on two counts of sexual assault and two counts of official oppression.

NBC 5 DFW contacted Helleson's attorney for comment. "The charges against my client are untrue," said Bob Baskett. Helleson is currently appealing her DPS termination.

Denmon said Farrell was indicted on a theft charge. The DPS put Farrell on paid suspension after the incident.

July Incident Makes National Headlines

On July 13, while driving along State Highway 161, Angel Dobbs and her niece Ashley Dobbs were stopped for littering by Farrell. In the dashcam video released by the women and their attorney, Farrell can be heard telling the women they would both be cited for littering for throwing cigarette butts out of the car.

Farrell then returned to his cruiser and, in the video, can be heard calling female Trooper Helleson to the scene to search both women, who he said were acting weird.

While waiting for Helleson to arrive, Farrell asked Angel Dobbs to step out of the vehicle and began questioning her about marijuana use. In the video, the trooper is heard telling Dobbs he smelled marijuana coming from the vehicle while asking her several times how much pot was in the car.

After Helleson arrived, she can be seen in the dashcam video putting on blue latex gloves to conduct a search of both women. According to the lawsuit, when Angel Dobbs asked about the gloves, Helleson "told her not to worry about that."

In the lawsuit, Dobbs said the trooper conducted the cavity search on the roadside, illuminated by the police car's headlights, in full view of any passing motorists.

"This has been an eye-opening experience for me. I've never been pulled over, never searched like this. I was totally violated over there a few minutes ago... this is so embarrassing to me," Angel Dobbs said on the video.

"I've never been so humiliated or so violated or felt so molested in my entire life," Angel Dobbs told NBC 5 DFW.

Dobbs said she never gave consent for the trooper to "frisk, pat-down, search or otherwise touch her" and that she never gave consent for Farrell to search her vehicle — which he can be seen doing in the dashcam video while the cavity search was underway.

Dobbs said she was powerless to stop it. "What are you going to say? What's going to happen to you if you challenge that authority?" she said.

With the cavity search concluded, Farrell then asked Dobbs about prescription medications found in the car. Dobbs said they were for her thyroid and for migraines. According to the lawsuit, Dobbs also suffers from a medical condition that was irritated by the search.

Meanwhile, Helleson can then be seen performing the same cavity search on Dobbs' niece, Ashley.

"It's because somebody is a daily smoker in that car. OK, you can attribute it to that," Farrell can be heard saying on the recording.

The lawsuit further alleges that Helleson performed searches on both women, touching both their anus and vaginas, without changing the latex gloves between searches.

"I don't think anybody needs to have to feel, or go through what we went through," Ashley Dobbs said. "It crosses my mind every day. It's humiliating," she said.

After searching the entire car and finding no narcotics, Farrell then administered a DWI test that Dobbs passed, the lawsuit said. The women were then issued warnings for littering and released at the scene.

The lawsuit goes on to say that a bottle of prescribed hydrocodone was missing from Dobbs' car and purse after the search. The women returned to the scene of the traffic stop the next day to search for the medication, but it was nowhere to be found.

Their lawyers say the search was illegal and a complaint about it was filed in August but that DPS Texas Rangers who investigated the incident took no action.

"This is outside the constitutional grounds by a mile. It's not even close," attorney Scott Palmer said. "This has to stop. These two need to be stopped. There's no telling how many other people they've done this to and we hope that others come forward."

Attorney Charles Soechting Jr. said his father was a DPS trooper and he has great respect for the agency. "But in this instance they have completely failed the citizens of Texas," Soechting said.

Soechting said a records request to DPS produced no policy that allows for cavity  search of any suspect in public.

"What we're dealing with is a Class C misdemeanor. It does not justify any type of pat-down, let alone an invasive search of cavities of women," he said.

DPS has not commented on the case.

The women are requesting a trial by jury and are asking for unspecified, compensatory and exemplary damages and interest as well as recovery of attorney's fees and court costs.

NBC 5 DFW's Frank Heinz and Ken Kalthoff contributed to this article.

Victims' Families Call for "National Compassion Fund"


Parents and family members of victims killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, as well as several other mass murders in the United States, are calling on the federal government to establish a protocol for a “National Compassion Fund” so that funds donated in the wake of a national tragedy get to the people they are intended for.

Sixty-four family members connected to the school shootings in Sandy Hook, Columbine, Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois University, Aurora and Oak Creek, as well as 9/11, are uniting in the hopes that a fund providing a centralized infrastructure be created on the federal level to guarantee that 100 percent of donations collected be distributed directly to the victims, according to a news release.

“The American public is incredibly giving when tragedy strikes,” the families said in a prepared statement released by spokesperson Caryn Kaufman. “They donate generously to provide relief to the victims’ families. Going back to Oklahoma City, we’ve seen families who have had to endure not only horrific loss but also the unimaginable task of wrestling with byzantine non-profit bureaucracies to access financial relief intended for them. It’s time to stop the madness. We cannot watch this happen, yet again, in Sandy Hook.”

Fifty family members from the tragedies that happened before the Sandy Hook school shooting asking that the “unspecified funds” non-profits raised in the wake of the Newtown tragedy be given directly to the Sandy Hook shooting victims and victims’ families.

According to the news release, some nonprofits have retained donations or redistribute it to causes that have little or nothing to do with the victims’ families or the donors’ intent.

Donations to the National Compassion Fund would be tax deductible to the donor, tax exempt to the victims and their families and would eliminate fraudulent funds , according to the news release.

Photo Credit: AP

Missing Service Dog Found Safe, Reunited With Owner


Archie, a service dog that went missing five days ago, has been found. Read the full story here.

Officials to Tour Connecticut River Levees


Officials will be visiting the levee system of the Connecticut River in East Hartford and Hartford on Tuesday.

U.S. Rep. John B. Larson will meet with Col. Charles P. Samaris, Commander of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in New England, to discuss the viability of the levee systems, according to a news release from Larson’s office.

Larson’s office said floods are some of the most common and costly types of natural disasters and it is critical to adequately fund and maintain the water infrastructure.

Police Warn of Facebook Child Porn Virus Video


Police have issued a warning about a computer virus linked to a pornographic video on Facebook.

The FBI is getting involved in the investigation and several school districts in Connecticut have issued alerts to students and parents to warn them about the virus.

“I’m very concerned that something like this would be circulating,” said Farmington School District Supt. Kathleen Greider.  

According to Simsbury Police Department in Connecticut, the video is shared through Facebook and appears to be from a friend, though it is actually child pornography. 

Several Farmington High School students have received the video on their Facebook accounts, police said.

Once opened, the video virus automatically attaches to the user's Facebook account and shares the video with all of his or her Facebook friends.

NBC Connecticut viewers who have received the video say it doesn't appear to be child pornography before opening and contains the phrase "watch this if you're curious."

New Britain police and the New Britain school district posted warnings on their Facebook pages. According to New Britain police, authorities in Farmington, Cromwell and Hartford have contacted the FBI about the video.

Avon schools also sent an email to parents and staff members about the Facebook virus threat.

"Although your child may not attend FHS (Farmington High School), other students or siblings in the area may have Facebook accounts that could be affected and we wanted to alert you of this situation immediately,"  Gary Mala, Avon superintendent, said in the email.  "The video is quite graphic and it will be very disturbing."

Greider emailed every parent and at least three other districts sent out alerts as well.

“We wanted to get a communication out to them immediately,” Greider said.

Facebook has released a statement, saying it has a zero tolerance for child pornography and is aggressively trying to remove it.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is trying to determine how the images got onto the Internet.

Gun Seller Cancels Mark Kelly's AR-15 Purchase


The owner of an Arizona gun store canceled Mark Kelly's purchase of an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle after Kelly made comments to the media that he purchased the gun to demonstrate how easy it is to obtain a firearm.

Douglas MacKinlay, owner of Diamondback Police Supply Co. in Tuscon said a full refund was sent to Kelly last Thursday.

"While I support and respect Mark Kelly's 2nd Amendment rights to purchase, possess, and use firearms in a safe and responsible manner, his recent statements to the media made it clear that his intent in purchasing the Sig Sauer M400 5.56mm rifle from us was for reasons other then for his personal use," MacKinlay said in a statement on their Facebook page obtained by NBC News.

For full U.S. news coverage, visit NBCNews.com.

Kelly, husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, is a gun control advocate who recently said in an interview that he wanted to demonstrate how easy it is to purchase a gun. Kelly and Giffords, who was injured in a mass shooting in Tuscon have been lobbying for background checks and restrictions on the sale of high-capacity magazines.

"It's important for me to have firsthand knowledge about how easy it is or difficult it is, you know, to buy a weapon like that," he told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in an interview earlier this month.

MacKinlay said the rifle will be donated the Arizona Tactical Officers Association and raffled off to raise funds for the organization's equipment needs.

Kelly made news on Monday when he stepped in to pull a dog off of a sea lion that it attacked it killed on a beach in California. The dog belonged to Kelly's daughter.


Photo Credit: AP

Two-Headed Shark Found


Sharktopus and Dinoshark may be the products of Hollywood, but a two-headed bull shark found in the Gulf of Mexico is all too real, according to scientists with Florida Keys Community College and Michigan State Community College.

The scientists have confirmed that the shark, discovered in April 2011, is the first of its kind and is a single shark with two heads and not conjoined twins.

"This is certainly one of those interesting and rarely detected phenomena," MSU assistant professor of fisheries and wildlife Michael Wagner said in a statement from the school Monday. "It’s good that we have this documented as part of the world’s natural history, but we’d certainly have to find many more before we could draw any conclusions about what caused this."

Migrating Sharks Seen Again Off Deerfield Beach

The shark was found by a fisherman when he opened the uterus of an adult shark. It died shortly thereafter and was brought to the marine science department at FKCC, where it was then transported to Michigan State.

Wagner and his team discovered two distinct heads, hearts and stomachs, with the rest of the body joining together in the back to form a single tail.

Man Fired for Wrestling Shark While on 'Sick Leave'

Creatures found with abnormalities like this usually die shortly after birth, and the two-headed bull shark had little, if any, chance to survive in the wild, Wagner said.

Other species, including blue sharks and tope sharks, have been born with two heads, as well as lizards and snakes, Wagner said.

Photo Credit: Michigan State University

I-91 Reopens After Vehicle Fire in Enfield


Interstate 91 southbound was closed in Enfield because of a vehicle fire Monday afternoon.

The fire was in the southbound lanes between exits 47E and 46 around 12:30 p.m., according to State Police.

There is no word on injuries.

One lane of I-91 reopened at 1:20 p.m.

Milford Police Search for Missing Sisters


Milford police are reaching out to the public for help to find two missing teenage sisters.

Jamilya Jones, 15, was last seen around 3:30 p.m. on March 18 on Clark Street. She is 5-feet-5, weighs 120 pounds and has black hair and brown eyes, according to a description from police.

The family member who last saw Jamilya said she was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt, a white T-shirt, jeans and black and white sneakers.

Jamilya’s 17-year-old sister, Tamara Jones, was last seen on Clark Street on March 21.

She is 5-feet-6, weighs 130 pounds and has black hair and brown eyes.

Jamilya and Tamara are believed to be together and possibly in the Bridgeport area, police said.

Anyone with information about where the sisters are should call the Milford Police Department at (203) 878-6551 or submit a tip online.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live