Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Rescued Baby's 25-Year Reunion


A man who was rescued from a Southern California dumpster as an infant has been reunited with his birth father after 25 years, thanks to the Santa Ana police officer credited with once saving his life.

Robin Barton's adoptive family only recently told him his infamous origin story: that he was left to die in a  dumpster until his rescuer discovered him and resuscitated him.

Barton, known as Baby "Adam" in the news reports surrounding the 1989 rescue, was barely breathing when officer Michael Buelna found him in Santa Ana. Buelna was investigating a stabbing in the area when neighbors waved him down, saying they'd heard a baby crying.

Barton, now 25, and Buelna reunited earlier this week. "When I first met him, it was slightly overwhelming. But it was just a wonderful moment," Barton said.

Barton said he and Buelna caught up on each other's lives when they reunited.

In their meeting, Barton mentioned that he was looking for his birth mother, who served time in prison for abandoning her child and was eventually deported.

Bartone hoped his mother might hear the story of his reunion with his rescuer and find him. Instead, news reports caught the attention of Barton's birth father, Marcos Meza, who'd been looking for him for years.

On Sunday, they finally met, along with two of Barton's five sisters. The reunion was thrilling, he told NBC4.

"Shock and awe, joy, happiness. I'm just overwhelmed," Barton said.

He was able to speak with his mother as well by phone, he said -- Santa Ana police said she was deported to Mexico after being released from prison.

Sunday morning, Barton was able to pose for pictures with both of his fathers -- all thanks to the police officer who stopped what he was doing when residents told them they'd heard a baby crying.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: Beth Slepp-Paz/Archival photo

Girl, 16, Hid in Bedroom During Burglary


A 16-year-old North Haven resident hid in her bedroom when she heard a burglar in her home and called 911, police said.

Police said they have identified a suspect, but no one has been taken into custody or arrested at this time.

North Haven police responded to the girl's Quinnipiac Avenue home near Montowese Avenue on April 25 after she called police at 12:25 p.m. to report a break-in, according to police.

Police found evidence that someone forced his or her way into the home and determined the burglar ran to a getaway vehicle, police said. Officers helped the 16- and 17-year-old residents at the home who were present at the time.

No one was injured and there was no confrontation between the burglar or the residents, police said.

Police have not released the name of the suspect.

Officers in the investigative division processed evidence at the scene.

The case remains under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Stabbing in New Haven


Police responded to a stabbing in New Haven early Monday morning after two men got into a fight around 3 a.m.at Grand and Blatchley avenues, police said.

There were minor injuries, both men declined medical attention and police said they aren't looking for any suspects.

No further information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Fire Breaks Out in New London Bedroom


A fire broke out in a bedroom at a Eugene O'Neill Drive home in New London overnight into Monday.

Firefighters put out a blaze at 254 Eugene O'Neill Drive.

No further information was immediately available and there's no word on any injuries.

Photo Credit: @Local1522

Planners Seek Feedback on Improving I-84 in Hartford


Left on and off ramps, narrow shoulders and closely spaced interchanges are some of the reasons many say a stretch of Interstate 84 in Hartford is a highway headache and state officials are inviting residents to take part in plans to fix it.

The Connecticut Department of Transportation is inviting residents to learn about the "I-84 Hartford Project" by attending what they are calling a “hands-on” Open Planning Studio.

The state is holding six days of open hours at the Christ Church Cathedral auditorium in Hartford and the public can drop in at any time to give feedback.

The improvements to the highway traveled by around 175,000 people daily won't happen right away.

The project, expected to cost between $4 billion and $10 billion, will take years and lawmakers still need to establish a way to fund it, possibly by tolls.

The open studio starts today and runs through Saturday.

Project planners are also having a neighborhood-focused discussion at church every night. The first topic is the Rocks and Frog Hollow neighborhoods, starting at 6 p.m. Monday.

The sessions will be held Monday, April 27 through Friday, May 1, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday, May 2 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., in Christ Church Cathedral Auditorium, at 45 Church Street in Hartford.

Photo Credit: DOT

New Haven Line Trains Delayed in Rye Due to Police Activity: MTA


The New Haven Metro-North line is experiencing scattered delays in the eastbound direction passing through Rye, New York due to a circuit issue earlier and police activity, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The nature of the police activity in the area is unknown. Trains are delayed for as much as 15 minutes in Rye and nearby, the MTA said.

No further information was immediately available.

MTA advises travelers to listen for updates at your train station.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Danbury Teacher Due in Court for Sex Assault Case


A 24-year-old science teacher at Danbury High School charged with sexual assault and providing alcohol to a minor is due in Danbury Superior Court Monday.

Kayla Mooney turned herself in to police around 5 p.m. on March 31. Police said they began investigating her conduct when high school administrators contacted them last month.

Authorities haven't elaborated on the allegations against Mooney, but school officials said they contacted the Department of Children and Families on Feb. 10 to report "inappropriate conduct" between a student and teacher.

Danbury police said the school system notified them the same day.

"We want to alert you that we were informed this afternoon that one of our high school teachers has been arrested for inappropriate actions with a student," school officials said in a voicemail to parents. "We wish to assure that we are taking every action to maintain a safe environment for all of our students."

According to the Hearst Connecticut Media Group, Mooney had sexual contact with a male student.

"As a parent, it is something we need to be concerned about," said Danbury mom Gail Williams. "But I have confidence in the school that they will handle it, that they will behave appropriately, that they will keep parents informed and I hope they will put measures in place to make sure this doesn't happen going forward."

Mooney was arrested and charged with second-degree sexual assault and distributing alcohol to a minor. She was released on a promise to appear in court on Monday.

"It shows a lapse in judgment, and that is the part that concerns me the most, because adults are supposed to lead by example," Williams said.

Mooney has been on paid administrative leave since February. The Danbury Board of Education said Mooney is a science teacher at the high school but declined to comment on the investigation.

Photo Credit: Danbury Police Department

Boy With Inoperable Brain Tumor Dies


Danny Nickerson, a Foxboro, Massachusetts, boy with inoperable brain tumor, has died, his mother confirmed through Facebook on Friday.

Last year, six-year-old Nickerson asked for birthday cards to read when he was feeling lonely. His story went viral and he received more than 100,000 cards from around the world.

His mother released a statement on Facebook, reading in part:

"Our lord came and carried his body to heaven. His body was so tired of fighting. He is now cancer free- and running and laughing with God and all of the other precious children. Prayers are needed for all of us right now." 

Photo Credit: NECN

Stamford Americares Team Helps Nepal Earthquake Victims


A Connecticut organization is one of many groups helping victims of a massive earthquake in Nepal that killed more than 3,700 people.

People at the Americares headquarters in Stamford are packaging supplies Monday to send to the people in Nepal devastated by the earthquake.

The earthquake destroyed many buildings, homes and infrastructures, leaving many survivors with almost nothing. Americares has already deployed a team of 70 relief workers to Nepal from the organization's India offices.

Americares stocks emergency medicine and supplies needed to respond to a disaster in warehouses all over the world that can be deployed the moment an earthquake or other disaster strikes. The Stamford Americares team will spend Monday packing up medical supplies and relief materials to send the victims in Nepal.

The president of Americares said said the nonprofit is prepared to do what it can to help the people of Nepal and everyone in the earthquake's impact zone.

Americares is accepting donations through its website at www.americares.org/Nepalearthquake.

Photo Credit: EFE

Bristol Landlord Arrested in Apartment Building Violations Case


A Bristol landlord turned himself into police Monday morning on a reckless endangerment charge related to an investigation into building code violations at an apartment building he owns that resulted in evictions earlier this month.

The criminal investigation into Antonino "Anthony" Cammariere began after police received reports that Cammariere took down condemned building warning notices posted at his 116-122 High Street apartment building in Bristol, police said.

He was also cited on charges of 10 counts of Bristol property maintenance code violations.

Earlier in the month the 12-unit apartment building on High Street was condemned and all residents were asked to move out.

An official with the Bristol/Burlington Health District inspected the apartment building and discovered several building violations, police said. Cammarierie didn't repair the problems to bring the building up to code, according to police.

He turned himself into police on warrants Monday at 8 a.m. and police charged him with second-degree reckless endangerment. The health district also worked with police to obtain warrants pertaining to the building code violations.

Police released Cammariere after he posted a $1,000 non-surety bond for each warrant and he is scheduled to appear in New Britain Superior Court on Thursday, May 14.

Photo Credit: Bristol Police Department

Children Were Left in Car Being Towed: Police


Naugatuck police have arrested a Springfield, Massachusetts woman and a tow truck driver accused of allowing children to ride in a vehicle as it was being towed on a flatbed.

The vehicle was being towed from Stamford, but police were alerted when someone saw children in the back of the vehicle as it was being towed on South Main Street in Naugatuck at 12:45 p.m. on Saturday, police said.

The woman responsible for the children, Myrna Oquendo, 58, of Springfield, Massachusetts, and the tow truck driver, Benny Rodriguez, 45, of Greenwich, allowed the children to stay in the car because there was not enough room for them in the cab of the vehicle, according to a news release from police.

Oquendo was charged with leaving a child under 12 unsupervised and she and Rodriguez have been charged with risk of injury to a child.

Both were released on $5,000 bond and are due in court on May 6.

Photo Credit: Naugatuck Police

Aide Trainee Sentenced for Stealing from Assisted Living Facility Patient


A woman who was training to be an aide at an assisted living facility in South Windsor will spend a year in prison after stealing more than $10,000 from one of the residents.

Police started investigating in May because Jessica Solomon, 37, of East Hartford, was suspected of stealing a resident’s wallet and checkbook from an assisted living facility on Buckland Road.  

The investigation revealed that more than $10,000 in forged checks had been cashed against the victim’s account and Solomon admitted she was involved, telling detectives that she was desperate, almost homeless, and that the money was for rent and repairs, police said.

Solomon, who was briefly employed at the assisted living facility, cooperated with the investigators and was charged with five counts of identity theft in the first degree, five counts of forgery in the second degree, larceny in the third degree, larceny in the fourth degree, and several counts of larceny in the fifth degree and larceny in the sixth degree. 

She was sentenced on the second-degree larceny charge to five years in prison, suspended after one year, followed by five years of probation.  

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Crews Battle Brush Fire in Norfolk


Emergency responders in Norfolk have spent much of the afternoon battling a large brush fire near a reservoir on Estey Road.

Fire companies from Norfolk, Drakeville and Winchester are working to extinguish the fire, which broke out early Monday afternoon in a forest near 179 Estey Road in South Norwalk, according to the fire department.

Fire officials are urging residents to use caution in the are of Litchfield Road and Goshen East Street.

No injuries have been reported. There are no homes nearby.

More information will be provided as it becomes available.

Photo Credit: Norfolk Fire Department

Ridgefield Woman Hurt in Condo Fire Has Died


A 78-year-old Ridgefield woman who was burned in a fire at her condo last week has died, according to the fire department. 

Sandra Reyes was trapped in the top floor of her two-story condo at 15 Cook Close when fire broke out on the afternoon of April 23 and her two sons tried to rescue her before emergency crews arrived.

Reyes and Her son 55-year-old, Joseph Reyes, were taken to Danbury Hospital to be treated for injuries, then transferred to the Bridgeport Hospital burn unit.

Sandra Reyes was pronounced dead at 8:15 a.m. on Monday, according to the fire marshal’s office.

Joseph Reyes remains in the burn unit, where he is in stable condition, according to the fire department.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Softball-Sized Hail in Texas


Softball-sized hail destroyed the windshield of a car driven by storm chasers in North Texas Sunday afternoon.

Lawrence McEwen and Spencer Basoco were chasing a supercell storm in Erath County southeast of Stephenville when they came upon the intense storm that spawned numerous twisters and several inches of rain.

Cameras were rolling inside as stone after stone slammed into the car, some estimated to be five inches in diameter, shattering the windshield.

One of the storm chasers, covered in shards of glass, put on goggles to protect his eyes as they tried to find shelter out of fear the windshield wouldn't hold.

NBC 5 Meteorologist Brian James referred to the softball-sized hail as ice bombs that explode when they slam into cars or glass.

As the chasers waited out the storm, huge hail stones could be seen bouncing off the ground outside.

The windshield took at least three direct hits and was destroyed by the time the storm subsided.

Neither of the chasers reported any serious injuries.

It is never recommended to be outside during a hailstorm and, even when inside, people are advised to stay clear of windows due to flying objects and debris.

The National Weather Service was checking on reports that as many as 18 tornadoes hit North Texas on Sunday.

Photo Credit: Lawrence McEwen, Spencer Basoco

Police ID Branford Man Injured in Motorcycle Crash


A motorcyclist remains in critical and unstable condition at the hospital after crashing on Route 34 at Church Street in New Haven late Friday night.

Frederick Kroll, 59, of Branford, was thrown from his motorcycle after losing control of it around 10:15 p.m. on April 24.

He sustained significant head trauma after hitting the pavement. Police don't believe he was wearing a helmet.

No other vehicles were involved, police said.

Kroll was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital and is still in critical condition there.

The exit ramp for North Frontage Road was blocked off while authorities investigated and traffic was diverted off Route 34 at exit 1 into downtown.

An ambulance and accident reconstruction team responded and investigators were at the scene overnight.

Police said it could take days and even weeks to finish the investigation.

While the cause of the crash is unknown, police are looking into whether speeding was a factor.

Better Business Bureau Warns of Fake Debt Collection Scam


Have you received a call informing you that you haven't paid a debt? The Connecticut Better Business Bureau is warning consumers in the state to be careful of a scam involving fake debt collection.

In the scam, a caller posing as a "legitimate debt collector" tells you that you owe money on a current or old debt you may not remember and then threatens your arrest if you don't pay up, the business bureau said in a news release. The scammer often uses an aggressive and intimidating tone and may seem convincing, according to the business bureau.

Since 2014, "phantom debt collecting" has become the second highest "complained-about problem" consumers have reported, the bureau said. The first is identity theft, which can also become an issue with the phone scams.

The callers may have some of your personal information like the last four digits of your Social Security number, but that doesn't mean they are legitimate, the bureau said.

Some people targeted have paid because they are scared or want the calls to cease, sometimes forking over as much as "hundreds or thousands of dollars," the bureau said.

Debt collectors are not allowed to call between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. unless you gave them authorization to call you because of the Fair Debt Collection Practices, according to the bureau. If you send them a desist letter, they are also required to stop calling, the bureau said.

How can you avoid becoming a victim to the phantom debt collecting scam? The Better Business Bureau has these tips:

  • Make sure you get the caller's name, company address and phone number and tell them you'll need a validation notice to prove the debt they are calling about before you'll talk to them further.
  • Avoid confirming or denying personal information like the last four digits of your social, bank account number and birth date. You don't have to answer and can hang up.
  • Call the company you supposedly owe money to to confirm you actually have an outstanding debt.
  • You can report the scam calls to the Connecticut Department of Banking and the Federal Trade Commission. If the company mentioned in the scam call is notable, you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Photo Credit: AP

At Least 1 Hospitalized After Bridgeport Shooting


At least one person has been taken to the hospital after a shooting on East Main Street in Bridgeport, according to Police Chief Joseph Gaudette.

Gaudette said the shooting happened Monday afternoon at 2329 East Main Street. It's not clear how many people were shot, but Gaudette said the victim or victims has been taken to the hospital.

No additional information was immediately available.

Check back for updates no this developing story.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Police Investigate Deadly Crash on Route 175 in Newington


Police are investigating a deadly crash that closed closed Route 175/East Cedar Street in Newington near the Wethersfield town line for several hours Monday afternoon and into the evening.

Authorities were called to the scene just after 2:30 p.m., according to police. Route 175 remained closed between the Berlin Turnpike and Constance Leigh Drive through most of rush hour, until around 5:30 p.m.

Officials have released little information about the crash, which appears to have involved a gray sedan and tan SUV. It's not clear how many people were hurt. Police have only said that at least one has died.

Police are investigating the crash. Witnesses are urged to call Newington police at 860-666-8445.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Danielson Man Files Lawsuit Over Anthem Breach


 A Danielson man has filed a federal class action lawsuit against the insurance company, Anthem, and affiliated because of his Social Security Number and other personal information was stolen as part of the Anthem data breach in February.

Frederick Ruhlemann filed the suit and his attorneys said in a statement that the suit could involve thousands of Connecticut residents and millions nationwide who are currently, or were in the past, insured by Anthem, if the court certifies the suit as a class action.

“Mr. Ruhlemann and the other members of this class provided their personal information to Anthem with the understanding and contractual promise that Anthem would safeguard the information,” Ruhlemann’s attorney, David N. Rosen, of David Rosen & Associates PC in New Haven, said in a statement. “Unfortunately for customers of Anthem, their personal financial, and possibly even sensitive health information, was left vulnerable to cyber thieves.”

The complaint says the personal information disclosed in the breach wasn’t encrypted and cyber thieves now have the personal identifying information of up to 80 million current and former Anthem insureds nationwide.

“Encryption is a common practice and is widely considered the most effective way to secure data from being stolen, or used if it is stolen. Due to the data being unencrypted, it was much easier for the cyber thieves to interpret the information and steal the identities of Anthem’s customers,” Rosen said.

Ruhlemann and the other plaintiffs face a “lifelong battle” against identity theft, the complaint alleges.

The complaint also alleges Anthem waited “unreasonably long” to notify consumers of the breach, until stock trading closed for the day on February 4, despite knowing about it days earlier.

Anthem did not comment, saying they do not comment on pending litigation.

In a statement, Anthem said that, in working with the FBI, they have found no evidence that the cyber attackers have shared or sold any members' data and there is no evidence that fraud has occurred against our members, including fraudulent tax returns.

Any current or former members can visitwww.AnthemFacts.com to learn how to access free identity protection services, including identity theft repair assistance, credit monitoring and child identity protection.

Photo Credit: NECN
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live