Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

A Split Weekend of Weather


Today looks splendid, with mostly sunny skies! Not only will there be a break from the threat of showers and thunderstorms, but the humidity will also be gone for the day. Temperatures will be in the low-80s inland, upper-70s at the shore.

Increasing clouds, breezy and warm conditions are anticipated on Saturday with temperatures in the middle-80s and Saturday is the pick of the weekend!

A cold front comes through on Sunday. It looks like clouds will hang tough all day long and on-and-off showers will make for a damp end to the weekend.

The front stalls to the south of the region on Monday and Tuesday, but not far enough away to make for nice weather. Each day will feature a good amount of clouds and the chance for a shower, especially along the shoreline. Temperatures will be stuck in the 60s.

Wednesday and Thursday will be downright spring-like, with temperatures in the 70s and tons of sunshine. Dew points will be in the 40s and 50s, meaning there won’t be any humidity whatsoever!
Stay with the NBC Connecticut First Alert weather team for the very latest forecast on-air, online and on the app.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Teen Charged With Sex Assault at Foran High


Police have arrested a 16-year-old accused of a sexual assault at Foran High School in Milford.

Little information is available, but police said they received the complaint on May 5 and the teen is accused of having sexual contact with the victim without consent.

The teen has been charged with fourth-degree sexual assault, public indecency and disorderly conduct and the case has been referred to juvenile court.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Man Burglarized Home as 10-Year-Old Boy Hid: Police


A 10-year-old boy hid in a closet as a burglar forced his way into a Hamden home and stole a large amount of cash and jewelry, according to police.

Police said they responded to a home on Belmont Street and found that someone had broken in through a back door and stole a safe filled with a substantial amount of money and jewelry.

The homeowner’s 10 year-old son was home at the time and hid in an upstairs bedroom while the burglary was happening, according to police.

Neighbor Jennifer Antonier said she saw police outside the home with the boy after the break-in, and that he looked shaken but otherwise okay.

"I think he's brave. I think he's a brave little kid," she said.

Neighbors around Belmont Street say the incident left them shaken.

"It's scary," said Eve Sansone, who lives nearby. "It gives you a sense of insecurity around here. It's sad."

Officers arrested Derrick Hoover, a friend of the homeowner, and said he a large sum of money on him. Two pieces of jewelry were also found near the burglary.

Hoover, 31, of New Haven, was charged with second-degree burglary, sixth-degree larceny and interfering with a police officer.

He was detained on a $25,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court in Meriden today.

Police said he was also arrested on three re-arrest warrants, with bonds totaling $200,000.

Police Responding to Valley Falls Park in Vernon


Several police officer are responding to Valley Falls Park in Vernon for what they called an ongoing incident.

No additional information was immediately available on what police are responding for.

The park is located at 300 Valley Falls Road.

Photo Credit: Vernon Police

Vet Dies After Drop at SoCal Fair


A Navy veteran died several hours after a mishap on a platform dive attraction making its debut at a Southern California fair Thursday night, authorities said.

Sabrina Gordon, 31, of Hesperia fell from the FreeDrop USA ride at the San Bernardino County Fair Thursday night at 8:14 p.m., and was airlifted to a hospital, deputies said. Less than five hours later, at 12:20 a.m. Friday, Gordon died.

Her heartbroken family remembered her as a wonderful person whose death could have been prevented.

“She was a very funny little girl… Always independent, doing her own thing,” Lyle Bell said, Gordon’s father.

She followed her father’s footsteps and joined the Navy right out of high school.

“Like I did and my dad… His father, two older brothers, one younger… we all served,” he said.

It appeared Gordon hit the air cushion and bounced onto the asphalt ground, subsequently injuring her head, according to her father.

"This was stupid, this was something for professional stunt people," Bell said.

Three platforms let participants jump 20, 28 or 36 feet onto the inflated pillow that stands 13-feet tall, according to a news release from the fair. FreeDrop USA was making its debut in California at the fair, according to the release.

A video posted to the San Bernardino County Fair's Facebook page showed the attraction in action, and its caption described the ride as "no bungee cords, no wires, no harnesses, just pure free fall."

"The ride was immediately closed and will remain so indefinitely," San Bernardino County Fair CEO/General Manager Geoff Hinds said in a statement. "The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department is conducting a thorough investigation."

Gordon reportedly dove off the 28-foot platform, according to the fair’s news release.

She was working at the fair for a vendor when friends egged her into making the jump.

"There were no safety nets ... this accident could have been completely avoided," her husband said, Clifford Gordon. He was not there when she fell but said that when they saw the attraction days before, they both agreed it was too dangerous.

The company that makes FreeDrop defended its safety record in a statement, saying more than 50,000 people have made safe jumps on the ride across the country.

Fair Board of Directors President Paul Russ said in a statement: "This is a heart wrenching tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family."

Photo Credit: Courtesy: Family

Driver Crashes Into Same East Hartford Yard Twice in 1 Year


Dorese Roberts is having a tough time making sense of how a car ended up crashing into the front yard of her East Hartford home on Friday morning. It’s the third time in eight years that a car has crashed in the exact same spot, and the second time for the exact same driver.

“I’m upset that I have to go through this again. I’m upset that my property is damaged again,” Roberts said.

East Hartford Police said the person responsible for the crash on Friday morning did the same thing in 2014 and Roberts was shocked to look outside and see the man on her property again, less than a year after crashing there the first time.

“We looked out the door and I said, “Is that the same guy from last year?” she said.

In 2014, that driver was cited for driving too fast for the conditions. This year, he’s been cited for failure to stay in the proper lane.

Roberts’ home is on Silver Lane at the top of a T-shaped intersection.

Given how many of these incidents she’s now had to deal with, Roberts and her daughter are considering asking the state to install a guiderail in the hopes that it will prevent a fourth crash.

“They have to get over a curb, and a metal electric box just to get in the yard and they’ve still penetrated both times, three times. And the next time, it could be fatal,” said Roberts’ daughter, Desiree Robinson, who also lives in the Silver Lane home.

Officials from the Department of Transportation said they will review Roberts’ request if she makes one, but a property has to meet several requirements before a guiderail is installed.

DOT limits guiderail installations because of the potential hazard they pose to drivers and traffic.
DOT guidance on the guiderail issue states, in part:

"Since guiderail in and of itself is a roadside hazard, the Department minimizes its use by eliminating the roadside hazards whenever possible. The Department does not install guiderail for the sole purpose of protecting private property."

For now, Roberts and her daughter will begin the process of cleaning up their yard yet again, and they both hope there isn’t another more serious crash before they can figure out a way to better protect their home.

Rescued Dog on Instagram


A tiny Yorkshire terrier that was dumped down a trash chute in the Bronx in September has recovered from its injuries and has a new home -- and its very own Instagram account.

The ASPCA said that the dog, named Frankie, is thriving with a new owner, months after the pup was found at the bottom of the chute with a fractured skull and neurological trauma that left him nearly blind.

Veterinarians monitored Frankie for three months after he was rescued, and he quickly became a favorite at the ASPCA.

Frankie didn’t have to wait long to find a new home once he recovered, the ASPCA said. The rescue said an Amherst College student home on winter break visited the rescue and fell in love with the pup and eventually returned to adopt him.

The ASPCA said that after a difficult adjustment process compounded by his partial blindness, Frankie is at home with his new owner. He even has an Instagram account chronicling his adventures and collection of stylish sweaters.

“He is now well-adjusted, like any other fun-loving, cuddly Yorkie,” his owner said. “He loves his new home where he is meeting lots of new people and experiencing new things.”

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Police Make 5 Arrests During Operation Broken Heart 2


State police have arrested five people during a two-month nationwide investigation targeting suspected child predators.

The coordinated investigation, called “Operation Broken Heart 2,” is the work of 61 task forces across the United States in April and May.

On Friday, Connecticut state police released information on five arrests made here.

State police arrested Casey Sotelo, 28, of Danbury, after a police investigation into someone sending an inappropriate image to a juvenile via Kik messenger over a cell phone.

Police said Sotelo sent the victim adult male pornographic images on her phone. Officers obtained a search warrant and determined that Sotelo had been sending pornographic images to people through chat apps.

He was arrested and charged with risk of injury, impairing the morals of a minor and obscenity.
He is due back in court on June 19.

Giovanni Gzepi Gonzalez, 25, of Danbury, was arrested on May 12 and charged with first-degree possession of child pornography and promoting a minor in an obscene performance. He is due back in court June 23.

Paolo Sassano, 57, of Milford, turned himself in to police on May 18 after a state police investigation into the sharing of child pornography over the Internet that started in October. Police searched his home on Dec. 14 and identified him as a suspect.

Sassano turned himself in to police on May 18 and was charged with promoting a minor in an obscene performance and first-degree illegal possession of child pornography. He is due back in court on June 1.

Thomas John Schall, 30, of Ellington, was arrested after an investigation into the dissemination of child porn. Police said he is suspected of uploading child porn to an Internet storage cloud.

He was charged with possession of child pornography and obscenity and is due in court on June 15.

Matthew Zadrozny, 27, of West Haven, turned himself in to police on May 1 after an investigation into the sharing of child pornography over the Internet. Police said they searched his home on March 4 and found files of suspected child pornography.

He was charged with first-degree illegal possession of child pornography and promoting a minor in an obscene performance.

He is due in court on June 5.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

North Granby Man Charged With Unlicensed Home Improvements


A North Granby man has been arrested and charged with making unlicensed home improvements after a state Department of Consumer Protection investigation.

Dante Boffi, 43, of North Granby, turned himself in to Glastonbury police just before 3 p.m. on Thursday.

Officials from the attorney general's office said the complaint was filed in September and they received a referral from the state Department of Consumer Protection after they investigated Dante Boffi.

"(A)fter review, we authorized an arrest warrant for Mr. Boffi on one count of failure to register as a home improvement contractor. The arrest warrant stemmed from alleged conduct involving a homeowner in Glastonbury," Jaclyn Falkowski, director of communications for the office of the attorney general, said in an e-mail.

No additional information was immediately available about this arrest, but the NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters spoke with Boffi in August after some homeowners in the state complained about work Boffi was the general contractor for.

The Troubleshooters previous investigation revealed that Boffi collected tens of thousands of dollars in advance for home improvement work that he did not perform and he acknowledges that he was using money from one job to pay for other jobs.

He added that he is out of the general contracting business for good and is committed to paying back what he calls “a handful” of homeowners.

Boffi declined to an on-camera interview when NBC Connecticut reached out to him last August year, but he did speak to us and said problems started mounting about two years earlier when he took a financial hit on an unrelated job.

“There was one job where I was screwed out of $200,000,” he said.

Boffi established his design architecture firm in 2001. In the past few years, he started doing general contracting work as well.

Pantheon Development, LLC, which listed Dante J Boffi as the owner, was licensed for “New Home Construction” from October 2011 through September 2013 until the license lapsed, but Pantheon never held a license for the remodeling and renovation work Boffi has been doing the past few years.

“Admittedly, when I started doing this, I didn't do the research I should have: what licenses covered what insurances, I was green at it,” he said last summer.

When previously asked about specifics relating to the three homeowners who complained about him, Boffi said the first check on one couple’s job bounced.

“I have borrowed from family. I have borrowed from friends and I've worked round the clock at my design work to piece them back,” he said last year.

Boffi is due in court on June 17 in Manchester, according to the attorney general's office.

The Better Business Bureau says you should be careful to do your homework when hiring a contractor.

Get recent references, get at least two bids for any job, write up a detailed contract, and never pay half the total project cost up front.

The state has several resources available as well. You can do a search on the Secretary of the State's website to learn if a contractor is registered.

You can also verify a license on the state Consumer Protection eLicensing Web site.

You can log on to the state's Judicial website to see if there are any lawsuits involving your contractor.

Photo Credit: Glastonbury Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Man Shot Neighbor 19 Times


Police released the name of the man Friday accused of shooting his neighbor 19 times before sparking a 10-hour-long standoff with law enforcement at an apartment complex in Chula Vista, south of downtown San Diego.

According to the Chula Vista Police Department (CVPD), Michael Majerus, 42, shot and killed neighbor Nicholas Reynolds, 43, at the Mission Gardens apartment complex located at 160 E Street on Thursday morning. Witnesses told police the men had a long-standing dispute over neighborhood issues.

Police said Majerus shot Reynolds 19 times with an AR-15 rifle as Reynolds was getting into his car at the apartment complex.

After the deadly rounds were fired, Majerus barricaded himself inside his apartment along with his wife, Laura, and two young children, still armed with the AR-15.

Dozens of police officers and SWAT officials surrounded the apartment complex and crisis negotiators were called in as a lengthy standoff with Majerus ensued.

A number of other agencies were called in for backup, including the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, the San Diego Police Department and National City Police Department.

Officials shut down major roads in the area and evacuated dozens of residents from the apartment complex as the standoff unfolded.

MTS assisted in transporting evacuees to the nearby Norman Park Senior Center where the residents remained for hours. The American Red Cross provided food to the evacuees and police officers throughout the very long day.

After hours of on-again off-again negotiations with the suspect and sending a direct message to Majerus via news cameras, the suspect released his wife and the children from the apartment at around 3:35 p.m. They were unharmed.

Majerus remained holed up inside the apartment.

About an hour later, three shots rang out. CVPD Lt. Fritz Reber said the first came from a police test canon shot. The second was inside the apartment and did not come from officers. The third was a flash bang grenade that shattered a window so the SWAT team could send in two robots and check on the suspect.

One robot spotted a man down in an upstairs room, and a SWAT team soon followed to confirm. They found Majerus dead inside from a single self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Police said two other handguns were found inside the apartment.

Investigators believe there was no verbal argument before Majerus shot his neighbor. According to the CVPD, officers had been called on two prior occasions to the apartment complex regarding the ongoing dispute between the neighbors.

However, in both instances, police determined there was no crime and no police report was filed. Police confirmed Majerus had no significant criminal history.

The deadly shooting remains under investigation. No other residents or law enforcement were injured in the standoff.

Photo Credit: NBC 7 San Diego

Lawmakers May Need Special Session for Transportation Bill


Influential members of the General Assembly cautioned Friday, one of the final days of the legislative session, that Governor Dannel Malloy's proposed $100 billion overhaul of roads, bridges, and trains in Connecticut could require a Special Session to sort out.

“That’s a larger process and I’m not sure we finish that within the regular session. I think we may come back to do a transportation special session" said Berlin Democrat, Rep. Joe Aresimowicz, the House Majority Leader. He qualified his comments by saying nothing is certain and adding, "That’s just my gut, but I think that may really happen.”

The governor's top priority during his State of the State Address in January was a transportation overhaul that would take 30 years to complete. He said Connecticut deserved a "first-in-class" transportation system and said years of small investment or lack thereof has led to traffic problems that have cost taxpayers billions of dollars.

A spokesman for Gov. Malloy said in a statement of the talk of a Special Session, "Whether it’s approved during a regular session or a special session, the governor is committed to the long-term benefits of the state to create jobs, support businesses and support the quality of life overall.”

Transportation Committee Chairman Rep. Tony Guerrera, a Democrat from Rocky Hill has been a supporter of the proposal from the beginning. He said he thinks there may be a sentiment among lawmakers to develop a way to pay for the package before the legislature approves anything. The governor assembled a group to examine ways to pay for the $100 billion plan that includes ideas like issuing bonds and even building tolls.

“I think everyone is serious about what needs to be done to our infrastructure," Guerrera said. "Do we wait for the task force to come back with their recommendations and you know maybe have a special session in the fall to talk about this? That could be one of the key points here.”

Lawmakers will adjourn the Regular Session on June 3.

Hastert Received Odd Phone Call During C-SPAN Show


Video posted to a "MyC-SPAN" account on Thursday of a phone call former House Speaker Dennis Hastert received during an appearance on the network has raised questions as to whether there's any link between the call and the federal charges brought against Hastert.

The Washington Journal episode aired on a Nov. 13, 2014, one week after the midterm elections. The caller identified himself only as "Bruce" from Illinois.

"Hello, Denny," the caller said.

"Do you remember me from Yorkville?" he added, before laughing and hanging up.

"Yeah, go ahead," said Hastert.

"I think he's gone," said C-SPAN host Pedro Echevarria before moving onto the next caller. 

Hastert on Thursday was charged with making regular regular withdrawals from his bank accounts below a limit that would require reporting and then lying to federal officials when asked about those withdrawals. The Department of Justice and IRS allege Hastert, 73, withdrew $1.7 million from various banks between 2010 to 2014 and provided the funds to an unnamed person "to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct."

The indictment did not specify the alleged misconduct or identify "Individual A" other than saying the person was someone from Yorkville, Illinois, where Hastert was employed as teacher and wrestling coach from 1965 to 1981. District officials on Friday said they had no knowledge of any alleged misconduct.

A federal law enforcement official on Friday afternoon told NBC News the misconduct involved an alleged sexual relationship between Hastert and a former male student at the school.

"The Hill" newspaper noticed the video after it was posted to the C-SPAN website.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Mom Chases iPhone Thief After Son, 6, Punched in Face: Cops


A would-be thief who tried to grab a 22-year-old mother's iPhone at a Bronx laundromat punched the woman's 6-year-old son in the face when the boy stepped in his way as he tried to flee the mother's grasp, authorities said.

The man walked into the laundromat on Boone Avenue in Crotona Park East shortly before 5 a.m. Sunday and tried to sell the woman DVDs. She said she wasn't interested in buying any, and the man grabbed her iPhone, which was charging on a chair next to her, authorities said.

The suspect tried to run off with the phone but the woman grabbed him, trying to keep him there. He managed to break free with the phone and started running toward another exit when the 6-year-old boy stepped in his path.

Police say the suspect punched the young child in the face, knocking him to the ground, before running out to the parking lot. The boy's mother chased the suspect outside and wrestled her iPhone from the suspect before he managed to break free and ran off again.

Surveillance video shows the mother chasing the suspect back and forth across the laundromat (above).

The woman suffered minor injuries in the altercation and her 6-year-old son had facial swelling and lacerations. Both were treated at an area hospital.

"I really can't imagine a grown man punching a 6-year-old in the face," said Luis Rodriguez, a patron at the laundromat. "That's horrible." 

Photo Credit: Handout

Mystery Surrounds Attack of Pizza Delivery Driver


A pizza delivery driver was apparently assaulted in Ansonia, but doesn't remember anything about the attack.

Gary Menna Sr. was found lying on the ground in a neighborhood on Westfield Avenue.

The incident happened around 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday when Menna was making a pizza delivery to a house on that street. Ansonia police believe he was assaulted as he was walking back to his car.

“Neighbors reported some sort of argument. [It] sounded like two or three people arguing. They reported hearing somebody getting punched or hit,” Said Lt. Andrew Cota.

Lt. Cota said neighbors saw Menna get up and get inside his car. Police arrived on scene and Menna was taken to the hospital. He suffered a head injury and abrasions along his face. Police said Menna did not remember what happened.

“There were reports that there was a black vehicle, black truck with a landscape trailer that was in the area. We’re not sure if it could be a witness or people who were involved inside the truck,” Said Lt. Cota.

“I’m just kind of shocked. Like I said this is a quiet neighborhood,” Said Steven Maurdry.

Nothing was taken from the victim, so police aren't sure why the attack occurred.

“If they’re out there they’re going to do it to somebody else! They’ve got to be caught,” Said Dicky Savoy who works near Westfield Avenue.

Police said they hope to re-interview Menna once he has had some time to recover. They’re hoping he’ll remember something about the suspects.

If you have any information on this incident, you’re asked to call Ansonia police.

Hastert Paid To Hide Sexual Relationship: Official


Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert was making payments to a man in order to conceal a sexual relationship they had while the man was a student at Yorkville High School, a federal law enforcement official told NBC News on Friday.

Hastert was indicted Thursday with making regular withdrawals from his bank accounts below a limit that would require reporting and then lying to federal officials when asked about those withdrawals. 

The Department of Justice and IRS allege Hastert, 73, withdrew $1.7 million from various banks between 2010 to 2014 and provided the funds to an unnamed person "to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct." The indictment said Hastert promised a total of $3.5 million to the unnamed person.

The indictment did not specify the alleged misconduct or identify "Individual A" other than saying the person was someone from Yorkville, Illinois, where Hastert was employed as teacher and wrestling coach from 1965 to 1981. District officials on Friday said they had no knowledge of any alleged misconduct.

Hastert's name was removed Thursday from the Washington, D.C. lobbying and law firm where he worked, and a spokesperson there said Hastert had resigned.

If convicted of the charges against him, Hastert faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. 

House Passes Sweeping Campaign Reform Bill


A bill passed by the State House of Representatives late Thursday night would put new restrictions on public money used in campaigns.

In an overwhelming gesture of bi-partisanship, House Republicans and Democrats passed a sweeping elections reform bill by a vote of 134-to-12.

Elements of the bill include cutting the grant amount for candidates participating in the publicly funded Clean Elections Program by 25-percent, it eliminates taxpayer grants for candidates running unopposed, limits the total amount of money a legislator or their relatives can make off campaign-related businesses, like consulting. It also caps the amount of money a state party can spend on a candidate.

House GOP Minority Leader Themis Klarides called it one of the “biggest nights” in the building.

“Although we don’t agree with everything, nor will we ever, we respect each others' opinions,” Klarides said of how House Republicans and Democrats came together. “We’re not afraid to step over that line when we know it’s the right thing to do.”

It comes just a week after a NBC Connecticut Troubleshooters investigation found nearly half of the money granted to Democratic State Senate and House candidates went to just four consulting companies.

CCM & Co is one of the those companies. It’s a consulting and direct mail firm run by a former legislative aide. It took in nearly $1 million in business in 2014 alone.

Then-sitting State Representative Geoff Luxenberg, in partnership with Michael Farina of Farina Consulting, was contracted to do more than $800,000 in business for taxpayer funded campaigns. Luxenberg decided not to seek re-election in 2014. His wife Kelly won the seat.

Companies owned by the son and daughter-in-law of State Senator Terry Gerratana did more than $1 million in business since the Clean Election Program was first implemented in 2008.
If this bill is passed by the Senate, it would restrict the amount legislators or their families can take in to $1,000.

GOP rank and file joined leadership at press conference at the Capitol on Friday.
They called for the senate to pass this legislation to “restore the public’s faith” in elections and elected officials.

GOP Senate Minority Leader Len Fasano praised the House for their vote and called on Senate Democrats to join the other three legislative chambers in supporting the sweeping reform bill.

“It brought it (Clean Elections Program) back to where it should be,” said Fasano. “That’s because the Republican House worked with the Democratic House to do what is right.”

Even though three of the four legislative caucuses support the bill, Senate Democrats are hedging on supporting it.

Spokesman Adam Joseph said in a statement:

“We have major concerns with the bill as drafted, not the least of which is that it fails to increase transparency and does nothing to stem the flow of dark money into the process.”

Without the support from the majority party in the Senate, it's possible the bill won't even be called for a vote.

House Democrats would only say “the bill passed with the Speakers support.”

Last month, former House GOP Chief of Staff George Gallo pleaded guilty to federal charges he accepted kickbacks for steering candidates to send taxpayer funded grants to a direct mail firm in Florida.

The hours left in the session are counting down. It all comes to an end on June 3.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Boehner, Colleagues React to Allegations Against Hastert


Former Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert's old school employer, colleague current House Speaker John Boehner, and family member are speaking out after finding out the once Speaker of the House was allegedly involved in a sexual misconduct allegations.

"The Denny I served with worked hard on behalf of his constituents and the country," Boehner said in a statement. "I'm shocked and saddened to learn of these reports."

In a statement, U.S. Senator Mark Kirk said anyone who had ever worked with Hastert is "shocked and confused" by the new developments and that the former speaker "should be afforded, like any other American, his day in court to address these very serious accusations." 

Hastert supported Kirk's campaign for U.S. Senator in 2010.

Officials from the Illinois school district that used to employ Hastert as a teacher and wrestling coach said Friday they have no information regarding the alleged misconduct with which Hastert was charged.

"The District was first made aware of any concerns regarding Mr. Hastert when the federal indictment was released on May 28, 2015," a Yorkville Community Unit School District #115 spokesperson said in a statement to NBC Chicago.

In a Facebook interview with Charles Hastert of Joliet, nephew of Dennis Hastert, the family member said: 

"I don't believe it. Denny has always been honest and clean as they come. He is loved by his family and community."

Federal charges were handed down Thursday against Hastert, accusing him of evading banking rules and lying to the FBI when asked about them. The Department of Justice and IRS allege the 73-year-old made repeated withdrawals from his accounts and handed the cash over to an unnamed person "to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct."

In its statement, Hastert's former school district said it had no knowledge of the alleged misconduct, nor had anyone come forward to report misconduct.

"If requested to do so, the District plans to cooperate fully with the U.S. Attorney's investigation into this matter," the district said. 

A federal law enforcement official on Friday afternoon told NBC News the misconduct involved an alleged sexual relationship between Hastert and a former male student at the school.

Hastert's employment with Yorkville Community Unit School District #115 began in 1965 when he was hired to teach history and coach the wrestling team. Eleven years later, Hastert was named Illinois Coach of the Year after leading Yorkville to state wrestling championship.

He left the district in 1981, shortly after entering politics.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Flier Singles Out African-Americans


Controversy is shaking up a Southern California apartment complex after a flier appeared in community elevators specifically asking African-American residents to speak quietly and to turn down music levels at night.

The fliers were posted in at least two of the elevators at the Toscana Apartments, located near the campus of University of California, Irvine, and advised and reminded residents about the appropriate noise levels, citing several recent complaints.

And, at the bottom left, this:

"We would like to remind our African-American residents to keep conversation volume down and reduce music levels between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.”

The complex is located about a mile from the UC Irvine campus, many students live at this complex.

"I definitely feel uncomfortable here, I don't feel safe here,” one resident, who did not want to be identified by name, told NBC4.

The flier ends by thanking residents for their cooperation and is signed as if it is from Toscana’s management. It includes the actual address and phone number to Equity Residential, the company which manages the complex.

"I want the lease cut off, I don't feel comfortable here, I don't want to be a part of this community and obviously the apartment complex doesn't want us to be here either," the resident NBC Los Angeles interviewed said.

The regional manager for Equity Residential, Mary Linder, categorically denied any involvement.

"The flier is a fake. No one from Equity, not any of our employees or Equity Residential had anything to do with the creation or the distribution. We're outraged with the content and we are investigating it," Linder said.

Still, some residents remain infuriated.

"This is what happens, they try to deny it and they try make it private and try to talk to us and try to deal with it, they send cops and security to intimidate and try to stifle us," a resident who asked to be identified as DD said.

Irvine police did visit the complex Friday, mostly hearing residents concerns.

"(I’m) really surprised,” resident Christine, who asked to be identified by her first name, said. “I think it's horrifying that someone would write specifically about one culture and point that out."

Police Investigate Salon Break-Ins


North Haven police are investigating a rash of break-ins targeting local salons.

Police say during the overnight hours Tuesday into Wednesday, the suspects broke into four salons and busted into the cash drawers. At one salon, the thieves nabbed $100. Nothing was taken from the other three locations, which didn’t have any money in the drawers.

Neighboring salons were surprised nothing more was taken.

“Curling irons, flat irons, blowdryers, scissors. Scissors can range anywhere from $200 anywhere to $3000,” said Maria Palma of Hair Dimensions Salon.

Customers told NBC Connecticut the overnight burglaries won’t stop them from coming to the businesses, located on Washington Avenue, Church Street and Quinnipiac Avenue. But those who work at the salons are considering making some changes.

“This area is a really nice area of North Haven, usually nothing bad happens here, but now, with this happening - and it happened to a couple of other places in the area - maybe we should up our security a little bit,” said Holly Mazur of Two Spa Girls Salon.

Police are reviewing security footage and looking for witnesses. Anyone with information should contact the Investigative Services Division at the North Haven Police Department at (203) 239-5321 or email crimetips@town.north-haven.ct.us.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hartford Mayor Defends City's Response to Recent Violence


Hartford’s mayor is defending his response to the recent violence in the city.

That comes after critics say Mayor Pedro Segarra has not done enough in response to the spike.

“I want to make crystal clear, crystal clear that I have been at these locations. I have met with families of victims, with victims. I don’t want to drag out the cameras to record each and every one of these events. I don’t want to seem as if I’m politicizing this issue. That is the last thing that our city or this administration needs,” says Segarra.

On Friday, Segarra held a meeting with community leaders and police.

That meeting was closed to the media.

The mayor says he wants to work with police and community groups to help lower crime rates this summer.

The governor says the state stands ready to help but the city also needs some self-reflection.

“I think that the city fathers need to go back and examine what are they doing right and what are they doing wrong,” says Governor Dannel Malloy, Connecticut.

Reverend AJ Johnson says he knows all too well about the recent violence in Hartford.

“It’s been a very tough time. We’re at homicide number 12. The city is just in disarray,” says Rev. Johnson.

Rev. Johnson says he knew Alford Grayson who police say died after being stabbed outside a store on Barbour Street Wednesday.

“I think the city is doing the best that they can. Can they do more? Yes. Can the community do more? Yes. Can the police? Everyone can do more,” says Rev. Johnson.

After the past two weeks, five families are now grieving for loved ones lost due to violence in Hartford.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live