Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Police Respond to Berlin Turnpike Crash


The Berlin Turnpike (Route 5/15) is shut down in the southbound direction after a crash Thursday evening near the Route 9 intersection.

A pickup truck and car crashed near the Dunkin' Donuts at 1100 Berlin Turnpike in Berlin.

No further information was immediately available.

LifeStar Responds to Crash That Has Closed Waterford Road


A LifeStar helicopter is responding to a crash in Waterford that has closed Old Norwich Road.

The road is closed at Uncas Avenue due to an accident with injuries, police said.

It's expected to to be closed for several hours as police investigate, according to police.

Photo Credit: Waterford Police Department

Viral Lullabies Show 'Love 4 Luke'


After struggling with infertility, Luke Dunn's parents said the day their only son was born was the best day of their lives.

Less than 14 months later, on April 3 of this year, his family received horrible news.

"That was the worst day,” recalled Luke’s mother, MaryJo Dunn.

Doctors found a malignant tumor, a rare form of cancer, on Luke's liver.

His father Shane said of the news, "It takes the soul out of your body."

The 15-month old has been in an out of the hospital ever since.

"He was our miracle, he's a miracle that we had him to begin with and he's still going to continue to be our miracle,” MaryJo said of the couple’s only child.

Little Luke has gone through five surgeries in just two months. However, he's getting through his hospital stays with the help of social media. A Love 4 Luke Dunn Facebook page Luke's aunt started to sing the boy lullabies has gone viral, with strangers from as far away as Texas sending sweet songs for the small patient.

"The fact that people kind of get that and they want to make him laugh and make him smile is amazing."

"We show him and he claps along. He applauds everybody after he watches it,” said MaryJo.

She makes sure to watch each message, and said the songs are helping her get through the difficult days.

"It's overwhelming because you want to thank everyone, you want to respond to all the messages, but there's like thousands,” she said.

The performances pouring in range from bedtime songs to upbeat tunes.

"He likes 'All the Single Ladies,' by Beyonce. He likes to dance, he likes to laugh,” said he aunt.

The songs are helping ease this little one's fears before even more scary surgeries.

"He'll watch the people singing it and it pulls him out of that anxiety almost immediately,” said Shane.

He has a long road to recovery ahead, but as Luke slept soundly in his hospital bed, mom and dad knew, he was dancing in his dreams.

More information is available on the Love 4 Luke Dunn Facebook page and there is also a fundraiser to help cover Luke's medical expenses on www.youcaring.com.

Photo Credit: Love 4 Luke Facebook Page

I-95 North Reopens in New Haven After Pedestrian-Involved Crash


Interstate 95 is reopened in New Haven after a crash involving at least two vehicles and two pedestrians walking on the highway on the Q Bridge, state police and fire officials said.

New Haven firefighters tweeted that two people were pinned in the accident, but remained conscious.

No further information was immediately available.

Rubio, Clinton Campaigning for Presidency in Connecticut


There may be 17 months until election day, but some presidential hopefuls are already hoping the road to the White House runs right through Connecticut.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has a fundraiser scheduled for Friday afternoon near the Yale campus in New Haven while Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (R) was in the presidential politics spotlight on Thursday night in Stamford.

“We are just one election away from a new American century," said Rubio, speaking at the Connecticut Republican Party's annual Prescott Bush Awards Dinner at the Crown Plaza.

“If you give us a Republican Congress and a Republican Senate, we will repeal and replace Obamacare before it repeals and replaces you," said Rubio, who is one of more than a dozen candidates already vying for the GOP nomination.

Outside the event, were anti-Rubio protesters, calling out the senator for what they see as flip-flops on immigration policy.

“If he can’t keep his word on immigration, how’s he going to keep his word on anything else," said Maria Praeli, an organizer for the United We Dream group.

“Even though he can speak Spanish and comes from a Hispanic background, we know what he’s up to, we know what he’s done," said Praeli. "We’re not going to fall for it no matter what his talking points may be.”

Rubio's keynote speech did not include immigration reform. Instead, he focused on a new tax policy that would allow employers who pay workers more to pay the IRS less. He also emphasized the importance of strengthening U.S. relations with Israel.

When it comes to a tackling crippling student loan debt, Rubio offered this potential solution.

“Before you take out a student loan, the college that you are attending will be required to tell you how much people make when they graduate from that school with the degree that you’re seeking.”

Rubio's remarks ended with a standing ovation. He left Stamford quickly to reportedly take a flight to the Midwest.

New Details in D.C. Mansion Murder


A newly unsealed warrant reveals new information about the personal assistant and driver for a man who was killed along with his wife, son and housekeeper last month in a multimillion-dollar house in northwest D.C.

Police obtained a search warrant for a BMW that belonged to Jordan Wallace, who told police he delivered $40,000 in cash to the Savopoulos' family home while they were being held for ransom. The car was recovered a block away from the burning home on the day they were killed.

According to the warrant, investigators were looking for “evidence related to the murder of the four decedents,” including “forensic and physical evidence linking (the assistant) to this offense.”

The search of Wallace’s car also yielded a laptop computer, external hard drives, two backpacks and his passport, among other items, the documents show.

Wallace has been called a witness. He has not been identified as a suspect.

Wallace changed his story about when he was told to get the $40,000 and how he took the money to the house, police said. The money is unaccounted for.

According to court documents, police searched Wallace’s car looking for money wrappers, banking documents and other evidence that may be linked to the victims.

Daron Wint, 34, is the only suspect who has been identified. He is charged with first-degree murder. Police have said Savvas Savopoulos, 46; his wife, Amy, 47; their 10-year-old son, Philip; and a housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa, were held captive for up to 18 hours before they were killed and their house was set on fire last month. All the victims suffered sharp force injuries, according to police.

Savopoulos was the CEO of American Iron Works, a construction-materials supplier based in Hyattsville, Maryland. Wint is a welder who once worked for American Iron Works, according to police. He was arrested a week after the slayings. Four other people who were with Wint when he was arrested were detained briefly, but they were released without charges and have not been identified.

Police have said in court documents that they believe more than one person was involved in the crime.

Three weeks since the bodies were found, Assistant U.S. Attorney Emily Miller, the prosecutor in the case, was back at the house looking for evidence Thursday. Members of the Public Defender service, who represent Wint, were also at the scene with their own team of crime scene investigators. They spent about two-and-a-half hours in and around the house taking pictures. They were escorted around by homicide detectives.

School Janitor Arrested Over Phone Message: Police


A janitor at a Manchester elementary school has been banned from school grounds and arrested after a message he is accused of leaving for someone on the office phone at the school, police said.

Manchester Superintendent Matt Geary wrote to members of the school community about a "personnel issue with a second shift employee" after a "situation" at Waddell Elementary School that prompted district leaders to call police.

While Geary didn't identify the employee by name in the letter, police said they arrested Spencer Dougan, 24, of Bolton, a janitor at the school, after they were asked to investigate "a message that he left for someone on the office phone" and arrested him on a disorderly conduct charge.

"As a result of the personnel issue, this employee was not to be allowed in our schools or on school grounds," Geary said. "A photo of the person was sent to all school administrators to be shared with those who answer the doors. Additionally, I asked principals to keep students in from recess / PE in the unlikely event that the employee came onto school grounds."

Field Day events scheduled Thursday at Martin and Highland Park elementary schools still went on as planned, but Geary sent security staff from the high school to the elementary schools, including Waddell, as a precaution. After school and evening programs were held as scheduled.

"At this time the employee is in police custody and has been barred from being in school buildings or on school grounds," Geary said. "....While I did not expect the employee to attempt to come to a school or onto school grounds, I also wanted to take every precaution necessary to ensure the safety of our students and staff. I am appreciative of the support of the Manchester Police Department, Manchester Security personnel, and entire school staff."

Photo Credit: Manchester Police Department

Fleeing Driver Killed After Car Veers Into Brook: State Police


Route 6 in Andover is closed after a driver fled state police during an attempted motor vehicle stop, swerved into a brook and was killed in the crash, according to state police.

A state trooper tried to stop a vehicle that struck multiple barrels in a coned-off construction zone on Route 384 near exit 4 at about 1:25 p.m. on Thursday. The driver kept going through the construction zone and fled the trooper, who had his emergency lights and sirens activated. Continuing onto Route 6 eastbound, the driver veered off the right shoulder, over an embankment and into a brook.

State troopers pulled the driver from the water. A LifeStar helicopter carried the seriously injured driver to the hospital, but the indiviudal later died. The gender, identity and age of the person killed have not been released at this time. State police are in the process of notifying the family.

Route 6 is closed in the area of Burnap Brook Road. Traffic is being detoured to Long Hill and Hendee roads and it’s not clear when the road will reopen.

The accident reconstuction team was also called to respond. No civilians were injured.

The case remains under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Father of Deceased Kids Speaks Out After Tragedy


The father of two children found dead in an East Haven, Connecticut, home on Tuesday afternoon spoke out for the first time publicly Thursday about the tragedy.

Michael Moore, of Bridgeport, said that whenever his children, Aleisha, 6, and Daaron, 8, were with him they were smiling.

"I always promised to do right by them and that 'Daddy wanted to make you smile one more time before you're home,' " Moore told NBC Connecticut , tearing up about the tragedy.

Police found the children dead inside 541 Strong Street in East Haven on Tuesday and their mother, LeRoya Moore, 36, was despondent with arm injuries when they responded to the house consumed by natural gas.

A neighbor had called 911 around 2:40 p.m. to report the incident, telling dispatchers, "My friend sent me a letter that she was going to kill herself" as she stood outside the locked house after speaking to the children's mother on the phone.

LeRoya Moore is still in the hospital and three responding police officers who were transported to the hospital for gas inhalation have since been released.

Police are classifying the children's deaths as "suspicious," but said responding officers found no signs of trauma on the children's bodies. Police didn't elaborate on why but said it will be up to the medical examiner to determine the causes of death.

Police said it's unknown whether the gas was in the air because of a breakage or whether someone turned it on, but East Haven Police Chief Brent Larrabee said, "I would say from observation it was probably turned on."

While the family has confirmed the names of the mother and two children, police have not released their identities at this time.

Michael Moore remembers his son, Daaron as a "fun-loving 8-year-old boy who just loved life to the fullest" and said that Aleisha was "wise beyond her years" and a "very smart little girl."

As the yellow police tape came down and police continued to investigate, the community set up a makeshift memorial outside the home on Wednesday night as the neighbors also grieved the loss of the children. They put stuffed animals and candles out in their memory.

The cities of East Haven and New Haven are making grief counselors available, as the two children killed, a kindergarten student and first-grader, went to the King/Robinson charter school in New Haven.

A fundraiser is underway to raise money for the funerals of Daaron and Aleisha Moore. You can find more information on the Daaron and Aleisha Moore Memorial Fund at www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/gw09.

"The family is asking for the public to assist them in donations to help with the burial expenses," the GiveForward fundraising page said. "All donations are welcome. And we thank you all in advance for your prayers, words of comfort,encouragement and donations."

Police Issue Warnings After Death of Rabid Kitten


A kitten that died in Shelton last week had rabies and police are urging residents who were exposed to kittens in the area to see a doctor.

Animal control found the kitten, a medium-haired black kitten, near Howe Avenue and Wooster Street around 5 p.m. on May 12.

On June 1, the kitten died and a test for rabies came back positive on Thursday.

Animal control officers have gone door to door, advising area residents and businesses, and received reports of two other kittens in the area of Howe Avenue and Maple Street.

Now police are asking anyone who handled or had any other exposure to a stray cat or kitten in the area of Howe Avenue and Maple Street to follow up with a healthcare provider.

They are also reminding residents to have all pets vaccinated, not to handle any wild or stray domestic animals, and to teach children to stay away from these animals.

To file complaints about stray domestic animals, call Shelton Animal Control at (203) 925-2501

For more information on rabies, contact the Center for Disease Control, Connecticut Department of Public Health, or the Naugatuck Valley Health District.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Arrests in Jewelers' Row Abduction


Federal agents have arrested two more men sought in connection with the kidnapping and torture of a woman who worked along Philadelphia's Jewelers' Row.

Basil Buie, 26, and 35-year-old Salahudin Shaheed were taken into custody Thursday night after an extensive investigation that has lasted for months.

It was the afternoon of April 4 when the men, along with 31-year-old Khayree Gay, grabbed the 54-year-old jewelry store clerk inside a parking garage at 8th and Chestnut Streets, agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) said.

The woman was thrown into a van, a hood placed over her head and her hands zip-tied, investigators said. The trio took $800 in cash and her ring and demanded the woman's debit card pin number and codes to the alarm and safe at National Watch & Diamond Exchange along S. 8th Street, according to investigators.

But the victim didn't know the alarm and safe information, and when she couldn't supply the information, the suspects turned even more violent, agents said.

For the next few hours, they drove the victim around as she was beaten and repeatedly stunned with a Taser, officials said. They told her, agents said, "This is the day you're going to die."

She was eventually thrown from the van at Mount Lawn Cemetery in Darby, Pennsylvania. A concussion and broken ribs were the physical scars she suffered as well as mental distress. She is now home, though, agents said.

"The victim suffered, but survived a brutal, horrific assault," ATF Special Agent in Charge Anthony Tropea said.

"These arrests will hopefully bring some measure of relief to the victim, to the business that these 3 men allegedly targeted, to the business community in Jewelers Row in Center City, and to the public at large," he said.

Gay was arrested in South Carolina days after the assault. He pleaded not guilty to the crime.

Buie and Shaheed are due in court Friday. Attorney information was not immediately available for the men.

Students Arrested for School Hack


A pair of Southern California students were arrested for allegedly hacking into their school's computer network to change grades.

The grades of about 120 San Dimas High School students were changed in the hack, according to the school's principal. Some students worried their grades were changed for the worse.

"That could affect my getting into college, and the release of my final," Nathan Lews said. A parent of a different student also hoped his son's grades were not changed in the scandal.

"I'm worried about my child's grades, because he had good grades and I hope it stays that way," Aron Gunstream said.

The students accused of breaking into the system were taken into custody after a complaint was made by school administrators Thursday, a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokesman said. A student from the school, familiar with the case, told NBC4 they were paid money to change grades.

Fraud and Cyber Crimes Bureau detectives from the LASD started an investigation after being told Thursday morning students at the school had gained unauthorized access to secure information on the network through the school's internet website. Just hours later the school's graduation ceremony took place.

Investigators subsequently arrested two 18-year-old students for unauthorized computer access and fraud. They are currently in jail and their arraignment hearing is expected to be held Monday.

Principal Michael Kelly said about 120 students had "gradebook scores" changed as a result of the hack, but administrators were "very confident that we have the ability to restore all of the impacted scores," he wrote in an email to parents.

District officials said not all of the student's grades that were changed were in on the scam. They the hackers may have randomly changed some students grades as a way to "throw off" investigators, creating an illusion of widespread tampering.

Teachers were reviewing students' grades for accuracy, Kelly said.

They were also being interviewed and computer data bank were being scoured for "anomalies" dating weeks back.

Anyone with information can contact detectives on 562-347-2602, or anonymously through "Crime Stoppers" on 800-222-8477.

NBC4's Michael Larkin contributed to this report. 

Fire Than Killed Man in Bethel Was Set: Police


The house fire early Thursday morning on Castle Hill Drive in Bethel that killed a man was purposely set, according to police.

Firefighters from several departments responded to 43 Castle Hill Drive just after 1 a.m. on Thursday after a neighbor called for help.

The right side of the home completely engulfed in flames and firefighters had to use water tankers to fight the fire because there are no fire hydrants in the area.

After searching the heavily damaged home, firefighters found the body of a man in a bedroom off the living room. 

Police have identified him as Edward Bruce, 56, and said he was the only resident of the house. 

The medical examiner determined he died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns.  The manner of death is under investigation.

Investigators have determined the fire was purposefully set and they are trying to determine the motive.

Bethel Police are not looking for anyone in connection with the fire and said there is no threat to public safety. 

This is not the first fire at this house.  Two months earlier, first responders rescued a man trapped inside, according to police.   

“April 8th, we responded to a fire here as well. The occupant at that time was removed from the home and sent to the hospital with minor injuries. That fire is still under investigation,” Det. Sgt. Mike Libertini, of the Bethel Police Department, said. “We’re looking at whether it was an accidental fire or a purposely set fire and we don’t know that.”

4 Arrested During Drug Bust in Plainfield


Police arrested four people during a drug bust in Plainfield on Wednesday.

Authorities raided 51 North Chestnut Street in the Wauregan village of Plainfield at 6:44 p.m. on Wednesday after a lengthy investigation into alleged narcotics sales and made four arrests.

Angelina R. Trudeau, 25, of North Chestnut Street in Wauregan, Sarah Chattell, 25, of Pine Valley Drive in Voluntown, Nicholas Bourque, 28, of North Chestnut Street in Wauregan and John M. Trudeau, 58, of North Chestnut Street in Wauregan were charged with heroin possession.

Trudeau was also charged with possession of heroin with intent to sell, misrepresentation of a substance as a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.

All four were released on bonds and are scheduled to appear at the Danielson Superior Court on June 22.

The Plainfield Police Department is urging all residents to report suspicious and/or narcotic activity to our anonymous tip line at 860-564-0765 or to any officer.

Photo Credit: Plainfield Police
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Life Sentence for Man in Hartford Double Murder


The second person involved in a New Year's Day double murder in 2011 in Hartford was sentenced to life in prison in Friday in connection with the murders of two men.

Angel Rivera, of Hartford, was sentenced on Friday to life in prison for a capital felony charge, plus 10 years in prison for conspiracy to commit murder.

He was arrested in connection with the deaths of Lionel Roldan, 24, and Luis Rivera, 30, who were shot and killed on Francis Avenue just minutes after midnight on Jan 1. 2011.

The men killed were cousins and their family knew them as Paolo and Tico.

“They are going to be really missed. I miss them a lot. Every day that I cry, day and night, it’s hard to let go of a person I loved," Sonia Rivera, Luis Rivera's sister, said.

Roldan's wife, Christina expressed her anguish over the tragedy.

“You have no idea to have to try and explain to a little innocent girl that her father was killed and is never coming back," Christina Roldan said. "It was my worst nightmare come true.”

The judge told Angel Rivera that it's lucky only two people died that night.

"When people make negative comments about the city of Hartford, they always point to senseless gun violence and that’s exactly what this is," the judge said.

Later that day, officers spotted Jose Medina, who led them on a chase into West Hartford and found a large amount of heroin on him, police said. They arrested him on drug charges and an arrest warrant was issued, charging him with the murders of Roldan and Luis Rivera.

Medina and Angel Rivera were charged with capital felony, murder and conspiracy to commit murder charges.

Medina was found guilty in May 2014 and sentenced to 1- years in prison, according to online court records, which also state that an appeal is pending.

While both Medina and Angel Rivera plan to appeal their sentences, the family members of the men killed said they're already starting to move forward.

“We got justice and that’s what we wanted, justice, and we got it. Finally after four years, it’s over," Sonia Rivera said.

Photo Credit: Hartford Police

Man’s Body Found at Ocean Beach Park in New London


A man’s body was found on the shoreline at Ocean Beach Park in New London early Friday morning.

At 5:43 a.m., police received a report that a man’s body had been found and officers found him near the water.

The cause of the man’s death is not known, but the office of the chief medical examiner will conduct an autopsy.

Police are not releasing the man’s name because they are notifying family.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Nearly Perfect Weekend Ahead


Today will feature a good amount of sunshine, some clouds and temperatures in the 70s inland and 60s at the shore! There can be a spot shower, but most locations should remain dry this Friday.

The best weather is saved for the weekend!

A cold front passes through on Saturday morning, without rain. A dry passage!

Only a few morning clouds are expected. After that, the rest of the day will be sunny with temperatures well into the 70s for all!

The sunshine stays put for Sunday to close the weekend in, perhaps, “top 10” fashion! Temperatures will be in the 70s with absolutely no humidity.

Monday doesn’t look pleasant at all. Cloudy skies will give way to showers and storms later in the day, especially overnight into Tuesday and a hint of humidity will be noticeable.

Scattered showers and thunderstorms remain in the forecast for Tuesday morning as temperatures rise into the 80s with some humidity.

The weather dries out by the middle part of next week and the humidity once again vanishes. Temperatures will remain steady in the 80s.

Stay with the NBC Connecticut First Alert weather team for the very latest forecast on-air, online and on the app.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Squantz Pond Closed Due to Harmful Algae


There will be no swimming at Squantz Pond State Park in New Fairfield this weekend because of the presence of a blue-green algae that can be harmful to people and dogs.

The algae, also known as cyanobacteria, was detected during water sampling. It can emit toxins that can make swimmers and animals sick, according to the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.

People can experience irritation of the skin, nose eyes and respiratory tract. If the algae is ingested, it can lead to vomiting or diarrhea, and can even cause problems with the liver or nervous system if large amounts are ingested, according to DEEP officials.

It occurs naturally in lakes and ponds across Connecticut, but warmer temperatures combined with high levels of phosphorus can cause the algae blooms to form in the water.

"Although the issue of blue-green algae is not new, there is now more research and understanding on the toxic effects of these blooms and the public health concerns that they raise," said DEEP Commissioner Robert Klee.

The DEEP will conduct further tests on the water to determine when it is safe to reopen the pond to swimming.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Celebrate Trails Weekend in Connecticut


The 22nd annual Trails Weekend in Connecticut is this weekend and there will be more than 200 free events statewide.

The trails celebration is the largest in the nation and you’re sure to find something the whole family can explore.

“Our mission is to connect people to the land so it’s getting people outdoors to explore,” said Eric Hammerling, of the Connecticut Forest and Parks Association, which hosts the trails weekend.

Connecticut’s terrain is diverse and so are the forest and park events.

Whether you’re looking for an education walk, bird watching tour, or something for new or experienced hikers, the guided tours are free and led by experts of the area.

To find exactly what you’re looking for, click here to get to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association’s website and see the list of events, locations, and a key to describe the events and the level of difficulty.

Bikers Sought in Reporter Killing


D.C. Police now have 14 persons of interest in the killing of local news reporter Charnice Milton.

Surveillance video released by authorities Thursday evening shows 14 people riding seven dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles. The 36 seconds of video are blurry, but the Metropolitan Police Department is asking the public to watch and help identify the subjects. 

Milton, 27, was gunned down on the 2700 block of Good Hope Road SE as she waited for a bus the night of May 27. The shooter was riding a dirtbike and was trying to hit someone in another group of riders, Police Chief Cathy Lanier said.

Milton's parents said they were told their daughter was used as a human shield to protect the intended target of the gunfire.

A wake for Milton will be held Friday night. Her funeral is scheduled for Saturday.

The community has held vigils for Milton, who was praised for living in the community she wrote about, east of the Anacostia River.

At a vigil Wednesday night, Milton's father begged anyone with information about his daughter's death to step forward.

"There are two men who are out there who can do that which is righteous," Kenneth McClenton said.

Anyone who can identify these individuals or who has knowledge of this incident should take no action but call police at 202-727-9099 or text your tip to the department's Text Tip Line at 50411.

The MPD currently offers a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone that provides information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons wanted for any homicide committed in the District of Columbia.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live