Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Milford Middle School Closed Over Threat


West Shore Middle School in Milford is closed on Wednesday as police investigate a threat against the school.

School officials notified parents on Tuesday night about the threat and said they decided to close the school for the day so police could investigate the "low-level threat."

Parents said the threat was made on Instagram, but police will not confirm or deny that. 

School leaders said they don’t think the threat has any credibility, but they aren’t taking any chances and want to give police the time to investigate, so they decided to keep kids at home out of an abundance of caution.   

Police Locate Car Believed to Be Connected to Meriden Hit-and-Run


Police said they have located the car believed to have collided with a motorcyclist in Meriden on Sunday night and fled the scene.

The motorcyclist, Anthony Wilson, is critical condition after a crash at 11:20 p.m. on Sunday near 47 North Avenue. 

After the crash, police reached out to the media in the hopes that it would lead them to a dark colored Mazda 3 that fled the scene.

On Tuesday, police found a car believed to be involved.

An unregistered blue Mazda 3 found abandoned in a lot on Griswold Street has been brought to the Meriden police department and will be processed for evidence.  

Police are still looking for the driver.

The Meriden Police Accident Reconstruction Unit is investigating. Anyone with information about the crash should call Officer Christian Rodriguez at (203) 630-6215 or Lt. Thomas Cossette at (203) 630-6256.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Mostly Dry Weather Next Few Days


As the middle of June nears, oppressive heat and humidity continue to evade Connecticut.

Today looks splendid, with an abundance of sun and temperatures well into the 80s. Smoke from Canadian wildfires is missing Connecticut to the south, as nearby as Wildwood, New Jersey.

Another cold front comes through on Thursday, but there is a change in the forecast. Most of the day will be dry, hot and humid.

A stray shower or rumble of thunder is possible in the morning and afternoon and clouds will mix with sun before the sky clears later in the day.

Friday looks like a great finish to the workweek with lots of sun and temperatures in the 80s.

Dew points will be in the low-50s, so nice and comfortable conditions are expected for Dave Matthews Band at the XFINITY Theatre in the evening.

On Saturday, it turns unsettled and humid once again. There can be scattered showers and thunderstorms.

High pressure builds in to close the weekend on Sunday, meaning plenty of sunshine with temperatures in the 80s. At this point, Sunday looks like the pick of the weekend and thus the best day to head to the beach!

Stay with the NBC Connecticut First Alert weather team for the very latest forecast on-air, online and on the app.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hillary Clinton Joins Instagram With Pantsuits Post


Hillary Clinton has joined Instagram.

She posted her first photo Wednesday: a rack of red, white and blue pantsuits, the preferred ensemble she's become known for wearing over the years.

"Hard choices," the caption reads, in a nod to the title of her memoir.

Clinton also has Twitter and Facebook accounts. She joins a slew of other presidential contenders including Bernie Sanders, Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio who also have Instagram accounts.

Photo Credit: EFE
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

East Haven Zoning Official Arrested Last Month Resigns


An East Haven zoning official arrested in May, accused of taking illegal payments in exchange for zoning decisions, has resigned from his position.

Frank Biancur Jr., who served as the planning and zoning administrator and zoning enforcement officer for the town of East Haven, was arrested in late May on federal charges, including mail fraud and theft of honest services.

Biancur submitted a letter of resignation to Frank Gentilesco, assistant director of administration and management, on Tuesday.

"As of today Tuesday June 9th, 2015, I hereby tender my resignation as the Town of East Haven's Planning & Zoning Administrator, effective at 4:30 p.m.," the letter says. 

Biancur is accused of soliciting illegal personal payments starting in October 2012 in exchange for his promise to smooth over any issues within the zoning office.

When NBC Connecticut asked Biancur for a response about the charges last month, he said "no comment." His attorney, Vincent Amendola, said Biancur was released on his own recognizance.

He had been on paid administrative leave.

Biancur is due back in court on June 17. 

Thieves Hid Stolen Weights in Stolen Garbage Cans: Police


Hamden police arrested two men who are accused of stealing weights from a former school and hiding them in stolen garbage cans.

Police responded to Morse Street and Edwards Street around 7:30 p.m. on Monday to investigate a report of a suspicious person and found two people pushing two 90-gallon Town of Hamden garbage cans containing weights from a gym.

Police identified the suspects as Jabraun Hines, 19, of New Haven, and Wayne Dohna, 21, of Hamden, and determined that they had forced their way into the old Hamden Middle School, and stolen the weights, police said.

The two men were arrested, transported to police headquarters and charged with third-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny.

Hines and Dohna were released on a written promise to appear and are scheduled to appear in court in Meriden on June 16.

Prior Calls Took Toll on Cop: Atty


The McKinney police officer who resigned after being captured on video manhandling a bikini-clad teen girl and drawing a gun on others apologizes to all he offended Wednesday, through his attorney, as civil rights groups call for criminal charges against him. Meanwhile, lawyer representing the teen says the officer's actions were excessive and that a resignation shouldn't end the investigation into what occurred.

Officer's Lawyer Offers Apology on His Behalf

Jane Bishkin, the attorney representing Cpl. Eric Casebolt, said the police officer responded to two suicide calls, one fatal and one involving a teenage girl who was hospitalized, before the incident at the pool and that the nature of those calls took an emotional toll on him.

"With all that happened that day, he allowed his emotions to get the better of him. Eric regrets that his conduct portrayed him and his department in a negative light. He never intended to mistreat anyone, but was only reacting to a situation and the challenges it presented. He apologies to all he offended," Bishkin said.

Casebolt is drawing national scrutiny after being recorded on video grabbing 15-year-old Dajerria Becton and slamming her head and face into the ground before pinning her with his knee. Casebolt was also recorded using profanity directed at several teens and pointing his gun at others.

Bishkin added that Casebolt was reluctant to initially respond to the incident at the pool until it was escalated to include a possible violent assault. At that point, Bishkin said, Casebolt felt it was his duty to respond.

Casebolt's lawyer said he attempted to investigate the report of violent assault by interviewing as many people as he could to determine who was involved and that he believed those who ran could have been possible suspects.

Bishkin said Casebolt was not targeting minorities and that he had also detained a white girl not seen in the video.

She added that his attempt to gather information was "hampered by some teenagers who are instructing others to defy police instructions."

Bishkin said Casebolt, who has received a number of death threats since the incident was first reported, plans to address the media at a later date.

Teen's Attorney Gathering Information, Says Officer's Actions Were Excessive

Dajerria Becton's attorney, Hannah Stroud, gave a news conference Wednesday afternoon saying that the officer's resignation should not mean the end of the investigation into what she said was an excessive use of force.

Stroud mentioned previous news conferences by both McKinney Chief of Police Gary Conley on Tuesday and Casebolt's lawyer, Jane Bishkin, on Wednesday, asserting that neither of them indicated her client had done anything wrong before being subdued by the officer.

"Miss Becton attended a pool party to which she had been invited. She was not trespassing in any shape or form. She left the scene when she was asked to by the police officer. When she asked for her bag so that she could call for her aunt, who is her legal guardian, she was pushed to the ground, grabbed by her head and her face was shoved into the ground. She was then handcuffed, she was never arrested and she's not been charged with any wrongdoing or with any offense," Stroud said.

The attorney quoted Conley from his news conference the day before, agreeing that Casebolt's actions were indefensible, but took it further to say that she believed his actions were excessive.

"That's really why we're here. Because ultimately the manner in which Miss Becton was treated was inappropriate, excessive and without cause. I would not expect to be treated, and have never been treated, by any police department or any police officer, the way that Miss Becton was. And I would doubt that any parent or reasonable person would expect their child to be treated in the same way," Stroud said.

Becton's lawyer said that while the information provided by Casebolt's attorney on the calls he answered before the disturbance at the pool give an insight into his mental state, it is not a defense for what occurred.

Meanwhile, Stroud called for both calm and an end to the threats of violence directed toward the former officer.

"With regard to the threats being made against him and his family, and potentially also the local police department, in no way do we condone those things. In the same way we wouldn't condone assault against a 15-year-old, we would not condone assault or aggression against a police officer or his family," Stroud said.

Stroud said she is still gathering information and discussing with her client how to go forward, including when or if they'll file a complaint against Casebolt. She said it would take some time and discussion with the city to determine how they'll go forward, meanwhile she's requested privacy for her client so that she can enjoy her summer break.

"It is our hope that the City of McKinney will do the right thing here, and we believe that they will. We are also ready to pursue the necessary courses or avenues if we have to. There are several and at this time we're still fact-finding so we don't know which avenues we will choose to go down," Stroud said.

Civil Rights Groups Call For Criminal Charges Against Former Officer

Earlier in the afternoon, Next Generation Action Network president Minister Dominique Alexander demanded Casebolt be charged with assault and not be simply allowed to resign from the department on Wednesday, in a news conference outside the McKinney Police Department.

Alexander said he met with McKinney Chief of Police Gary Conley on Monday and asked for him to terminate Casebolt, but that the chief allowed him to resign and keep his benefits and dignity.

Next said they will not give up and will continue to push for the district attorney to charge Casebolt in the case. Additionally, they are asking that the woman seen in the video assaulting a child also be charged.

Following Next's statement, speakers with the Dallas Chapter of the NAACP, the Nation of Islam and Black Lawyers for Justice all called for more action to be taken against the former police officer.

Pamela Means, with the National Bar Association, the nation's oldest and largest national association of predominantly black lawyers, judges, educators and law students, spoke last and questioned the department's training and why Casebolt, who they said was a training officer, reacted the way he did.

Means is pushing for legislation making it a felony for police officers to not restrain other officers using excessive force.

She suggested the officer's behavior was symptomatic of other incidents in the United States between white police officers and blacks.

Means said she isn't leading the charge against America's police officers, but is seeking to remove bad police officers from their positions in law enforcement.

Photo Credit: NBC 5 News

13 Families Displaced in Hartford Apartment Fire


Firefighters rescued two people from an apartment fire on Sigourney Street in Hartford on Wednesday afternoon that has displaced 13 families. .

Fire broke out on the third floor of a three-story, 34 unit apartment building at 169 Sigourney Street and firefighters responded at about 2 p.m. Firefighters found the person who lives there in the hallway and carried the 22-year-old woman to safety, fire officials said.

She was taken to St. Francis Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, according to fire officials at the scene.

Firefighters used a ground ladder to rescue another woman and she was treated at the scene, fire officials said.

It took minutes to put the fire out.

The apartment has been deemed uninhabitable, but the rest of the building was not damaged.

At least 13 families were displaced and the special services unit, American Red Cross and City of Hartford Health and Human Services Deparment are helping them relocate.

The Hartford fire marshal's office is investigating the cause of the fire.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Principal Loses Job for Texas Post


The principal of North Miami Senior High School has lost his job over his Facebook comment defending the Texas police officer caught on video pushing a teen girl to the ground in an incident at a community pool.

Alberto Iber's comment had defended the officer seen in a video pushing a 15-year-old girl to the ground and drawing his gun on other black teens following a pool party in McKinney, a Dallas suburb.

"He did nothing wrong. He was afraid for his life," Iber posted on a Miami Herald story. "I commend him for his actions."

"That's a bad thing for being a principal at North Miami Senior High School," said a student. "How can you defend a man who pulled a gun on teenagers?"

And the school district agreed. Iber was removed from the position and a replacement will be named soon, Miami-Dade Schools officials said in a statement Wednesday.

"Miami-Dade County Public Schools employees are held to a higher standard, and by School Board policy, are required to conduct themselves, both personally and professionally, in a manner that represents the school district’s core values," the statement said.

Iber is still employed and was assigned to administrative duties until he is reassigned, officials said.

No one was home at Iber's home Wednesday.

“Judgment is the currency of honesty," Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho said in a statement. "Insensitivity – intentional or perceived – is both unacceptable and inconsistent with our policies, but more importantly with our expectation of common sense behavior that elevates the dignity and humanity of all, beginning with children."

School is out for the summer but what happened to the principal was the topic of discussion at a basketball camp Wednesday.

"I don't think he meant it in a harmful way," student Cole Crawford said.

"If you're running a majority black school and you say a remark such as that people will not respect you," student Price Testinobles said.

"Of course teachers and parents and students they're gonna see it (the post) it's not his job to go comment on with the police were doing," added another student.

This story is getting a lot of buzz on social media as well. You can share your thoughts in the comments section below, or on the NBC 6 Facebook page here.

Boy Backs Up Van Over Child


A 2-year-old was critically injured after a 4-year-old climbed into the driver's seat of a day care center van and put the vehicle in gear Tuesday on Staten Island, police said.

The 21-year-old day care worker was attending to another child inside the van around 5:30 p.m. while the van was idling across the street from Busy Kidz Day Care on Winter Avenue in St. George when the 4-year-old climbed into the front seat, according to the NYPD.

The child put the car in gear, though it wasn't clear if the vehicle was put in neutral or reverse because it was on a hill, police said. The van moved back, hitting a 2-year-old child who had been behind it. The vehicle came to rest against the fence of a neighboring house.

"The van was coming straight down and it was going into the driveway, into the gate," said witness Diana Lloyd. 

"It was really horrible. It was really sad. Kids were screaming," she said. 

Cellphone video captured the panic immediately after the child was struck. Amid the commotion, a voice could heard: "Someone call 911." 

The child was taken to Richmond University Medical Center in critical but stable condition.

Police are investigating and say no arrests have been made. At this time, the NYPD said it appears the case was a tragic accident.

No one answered the door at the home day care Wednesday. A review of records by the I-Team found no serious violations by the day care over the last five years. 

Chris Coons, whose daughter attends the day care, said the accident doesn't worry him.

"They're not being neglectful. They was loading up the van in order to take the kids home. Things just happen sometimes. Accidents happen," he said. 

Suspect in Armed Milford Home Invasion Arrested


A man with a knife invaded a Milford home early Wednesday morning and police said they have arrested a suspect.

Christopher Glover, 27, of Milford, has been charged in a home invasion at a Calf Pen Lane residence early morning on June 10. 

Police said they identified him through the state police crime lab and he has been charged with home invasion, second-degree burglary and criminal attempt to commit first-degree assault.

The crime was reported at 3:26 a.m. after noises woke the resident, who found a man going through personal belongings, police said.

The intruder pulled a knife when the resident tried to restrain him, then he fled, police said.

After the home invasion, police reminded residents to keep their doors and windows locked, use home security features and report any suspicious activity to the police department, according to police, who said they will be notifying area residents through Milford Alerts, the mass notification system.

Glover was charged with home invasion, second-degree burglary and criminal attempt to commit first-degree assault. He was held in custody on a $250,000 bond and transported to Milford Superior Court Wednesday to be arraigned.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

VIDEO: Parents Pummeled at Las Vegas High School Graduation


A Las Vegas high school graduation devolved into chaos on Saturday after parents erupted into a fist fight over seating. 

The fight took place at a ceremony for students of Palo Verde High School and was caught on unverified amateur video, NBC affiliate KSNV reported. The video shows some adults punching and pushing each other as others attempt to break up the fight. Some stayed on the sidelines and shouted or took photos of the fight.

Although the fight started among parents, graduates said that both adults and children were hit, the station reported.

The event eventually proceeded mostly as usual, but the fracas did temporarily interrupt the ceremony involving 585 seniors.

University of Nevada Las Vegas police did not confirm the identities of anyone who participated in the fight or say whether anyone was charged. 

7 Incredible Renderings of 2 World Trade Center


Click through the gallery below to see even more renderings of 2 WTC, including interior views of television studios, gyms, and exteriors of a reimagined New York City skyline.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

N.C. Man Inks Caitlyn Jenner Tribute on Arm


After appearing on a box of Wheaties and gracing the cover of Vanity Fair, Caitlyn Jenner has made another debut: Jenner now features prominently on the arm of one North Carolina man, who underwent a four-hour tattooing session on Tuesday.

Jason Hatfield of Greensboro, North Carolina, said he got the tattoo because “Caitlyn Jenner’s been so brave,” he told NBC News affiliate WXII in North Carolina. "As an athlete and everything that was done before she came out, she was incredible. And now she's a thousand times the role model a Kardashian is!"

Hatfield, who is gay, said the tattoo on his left forearm is "my tribute not only to the transsexual community and the LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] community and my personal friends, but also their bravery as well.”

Jenner, 65, was born Bruce Jenner and was first known to Americans as the gold-medal winner in the men’s decathalon in the 1976 Summer Olympics. Jenner later became known as the husband of Kris Jenner and stepfather of Kim Kardashian on the E! reality show “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.” Prior to her Vanity Fair cover reveal, Jenner preferred to use male pronouns and her birth name in reference to herself, simply referring to her future female-presented self as “her.”

Philly EMT Saves Life on Plane


Retiring Philadelphia Fire Paramedic Capt. Richard Bratcher didn't expect to save a man's life on a flight from Orlando to Philadelphia Tuesday afternoon.

But when the US Airways flight crew called for someone with medical training to urgently care for a 57-year-old man who had fallen seriously ill about an hour into the flight, Bratcher said his training kicked in right away.

Bratcher, 50, who is about to retire after 25 years with the Fire Department, had just settled in when he heard the call over the plane's intercom: A passenger in coach class needed medical attention immediately.

Bratcher hadn't practiced as a paramedic for several years since he became a supervisor. But as soon as he got to the sick man's seat and saw him, he said, his training and decades of experience took over.

"All you had to do was look at this man and know he was very sick. He was gray. His lips were blue," Bratcher recounted Wednesday. "He was still conscious, so I kind of just put the flight crew to work. I said get me some oxygen, get some aspirin, get me some water."

Bratcher gave his fellow passenger two aspirins to chew, had him drink some water and kept him on oxygen the whole time, the paramedic captain said.

"Then probably within 15 minutes of chewing the aspirin and oxygen, his color came back into his face," Bratcher said. "By the time we landed in Philly, we were laughing and joking with each other. It was an experience. It was really an experience."

Bratcher said he told the flight attendants to tell the pilot to "punch it up" and fly faster to get to Philly. The flight, which would normally be about two-and-a-half hours long, landed at Philadelphia International Airport 45 minutes early. Bratcher, who is originally from Florida, was returning from visiting his home state to make settlement on his retirement home, he said.

Firefighters and medics from Engine 78 and Medic 30 met the plane on the tarmac and took the man to the hospital. Bratcher said on Wednesday, as he packed up his Queen Village house for his move to Florida, that he hopes the man, whose name escaped him, is doing well.

"I hope he's doing very well," Bratcher said. "Honestly, when the chips are down, you don't remember names. When you do what I've been doing for 30 years, you just go into this automatic mode of, 'Let me make this person better.'"

Fire Department Deputy Commissioner for EMS Jeremiah Laster praised Bratcher's quick thinking.

"He did a great job and we're proud of him," Laster said. "There's no greater feeling than to know you made a positive impact on somebody's life."

Laster said despite the challenges of stabilizing someone mid-air, Bratcher was able to fall back on his experience to help the fellow passenger.

"The bottom line is, one of the best skills of a paramedic with Capt. Bratcher's experience would be being able to look at a person and recognize they're in dire straits," Laster said. "He utilized those skills, making sure the person on the plane got 100 percent oxygen, and was able to secure aspirin to help the patient recover."

Others on the flight gave Bratcher accolades, too, for springing into action and saving the man's life, Bratcher said -- but he doesn't believe it was a big deal.

"When I got to baggage claim, all these young kids — I'm 50 years old, so I call them young kids, but they were in their 20s and 30s — they were like, 'Dude, you were amazing,'" Bratcher said. "I'm like, 'I'm not amazing. I didn't do anything. I just did what I do.'"

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Bloody Baseball Bat in D.C. Mansion


A bloody baseball bat was found at the mansion in Northwest D.C. where four people were brutally slain last month, a newly released search warrant reveals.

The warrant also reveals that one of the victims, likely business owner Savvas Savopoulos, was found with "trauma to the rear of his head." Another victim, possibly his wife Amy, was found with "lacerations to her throat and head."

The baseball bat was found in the bedroom where another victim was found needing CPR. That victim is likely housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa, 57. Son Philip Savopoulos, 10, also was killed in the attack; his body was found burned beyond recognition in another bedroom, police have said.

None of the victims are identified in the document. Their identities can be surmised by other information already released about the horrific attack May 13 and 14.

The murders took place in a multi-million-dollar home in a wealthy neighborhood in the shadow of the National Cathedral; police have said that the four victims were held against their will before they were murdered and their home set on fire. 

About $40,000 in cash was delivered to the house before the fire was discovered.

One suspect has been named: Daron Wint. Earlier Wedensday, court records revealed more about Wint's history of violence against his then-girlfriend, who told police in 2008 that on several different occasions Wint slapped and punched her.

Wint also grabbed her by the neck, choked her and held her against her will, the records say.

The girlfriend suffered cuts and bruises. She requested -- and was granted -- a six-month stay-away order in December, 2008.

Wint has a criminal history that dates to 2005, other records indicate.

Wint, who was identified from a DNA match on a pizza crust left at the crime scene, fled D.C. after the attack and was caught as he returned, followed by a truck containing a large amount of cash.

Wint faces a charge of first-degree murder while armed. His next court appearance is June 23.

Photo Credit: Metropolitan Police Department

Suspect Threatens Cab Driver With Rifle: Police


Police arrested a man suspected of pulling a rifle on a taxi cab driver in Hamden after refusing to pay, police said.

The taxi driver took Robert Boardman, 54, of Hamden, to Notkins Street in Hamden and he got out of the cab without paying his $40 fare, police said. That's when police said he took a rifle out of his duffel bag and pointed it at the driver, threatening to put "a slug in him."

Boardman ran from the cab and through multiple back yards on the street, police said.

An officer handling police dog Hank tracked the area and found Boardman hiding in someone's backyard.

Police arrested him soon after and brought him to police headquarters for processing.

Boardman was charged with second-degree threatening, second-degree breach of peace, sixth-degree larceny and first-degree criminal mischief.

He was arraigned in Meriden Superior Court on Wednesday.

Bear on Loose in West Hartford Tranquilized


A bear that caused quite a stir in West Hartford on Wednesday afternoon has been tranquilized.

The bear climbed a tree on Newport Avenue and crews from the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection arrived on the scene to remove the bear.

A state wildlife expert tranqulized the bear while it was still about 15 feet up in the tree.  After a few minutes, the bear fell to the ground and DEEP crews took it away.

The DEEP said the bear was not injured in the fall.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Victim Searches for Her Kidnapper


A Pennsylvania woman who was kidnapped as a child has renewed her effort to find her abductor over 30 years later.

Kelly Heller was only nine years old in May of 1981 when a man kidnapped and beat her in a remote area of Upper Saucon Township. Heller, whose brothers delivered newspapers, told NBC Philadelphia she was inside her Bethlehem home getting the newspapers ready for delivery. Suddenly, one of her brothers came inside and told her about a man who claimed he was running a newspaper contest with money and prizes. The man, who was outside their home, wanted to meet with her. The unsuspecting girl left her house and then went inside the stranger’s car.

“He drove away,” Heller said. “And then his story changed to me that we were going to Saucon Park and there was a little picnic and there were games. We were going to play hide and seek.”

Yet what Heller thought would be a fun day at the park quickly turned into a nightmare that would change her life forever.

“He grabbed me down below and he told me to take my clothes off and I said no,” Heller said.

Heller told NBC10 the man put her in a headlock and punched her repeatedly in the face before leaving her in a field in Upper Saucon. The beaten young girl went to Beverly McCartney’s home nearby and asked for help.

“I remember a little girl knocking on my door, covered in blood and barefoot,” McCartney said.

McCartney helped the young girl and called police. She never saw Heller again until three weeks ago when she heard a knock at her door.

“She asked me if I remembered the little girl who knocked on my door and I just said, ‘oh my God,’” McCartney said. “She said, ‘I’m that little girl.’”

While the kidnapping received plenty of press at the time, there have been no arrests after 34 years. That’s why Heller is now conducting her own investigation using social media.

“I remember going to the police station repeatedly and being interviewed,” Heller said. “I remember looking at mugshots and then all of a sudden it was just over and it was never discussed again. I never heard anything.”

The only Bethlehem police documents Heller could obtain were blacked out. She received a new lead in the case while speaking with McCartney however. McCartney claimed she received a police call several years ago about a sketch of a suspect in the kidnapping.

“They were gonna call her down and interview her and if she could make an identification there would be an arrest,” McCartney said. “And then I was told the officer that I spoke to was taken off the case. But I don’t know why.”

Heller says the only way to ease the torment she’s felt for 34 years is to solve her own kidnapping.

“The stories just don’t add up,” Heller said. “The more I dig the more questions I have.”

Heller hopes her social media campaign will give her the tip that leads to the breakthrough in the case. Bethlehem Police meanwhile told NBC10 they are searching through old police reports from 1981 that will eventually be available. They also said an ongoing investigation continues. 

Photo Credit: NBC10
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Giants Fan Thanks Caregivers


Dodger Stadium attack victim Bryan Stow returned Wednesday to the Bay Area hospital where he made his miraculous comeback to thank the caregivers who helped save his life.

Stow walked into Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose on crutches. It’s one of the few times since he was assaulted by two men outside Dodger Stadium in March 2011 that Stow has appeared in public without a wheelchair. He threw out the ceremonial first pitch this season at San Francisco Giants Opening Day back in April and has spoken at a handful of schools.

There is still a long way to go, but Stow says he has improved considerably. The first crucial stage of rehabilitation took place at VMC. In an NBC Bay Area exclusive, Robert Handa was allowed to witness the private, emotional visit.

The Valley Medical Center staffers who played such an important part in Stow’s recovery were thrilled to see his progress.

"It's great that Bryan is walking again, but more important to me is Bryan’s telling me stories, he’s joking with me,” said rehab relations manager Ann Perkins. “The personality that he had before his brain injury is really emerging."

Stow returned to VMC with his mother Ann and father Dave. It’s the place where he began his rehab program and spent almost five months. Wednesday’s return consisted of a series of individual, often tearful, reunions.

"I'm light years beyond where I started,” Stow said. “I mean, people can’t even believe I am walking again.”

Stow said his next goal is to walk without any assistance.

As for the two men that pleaded guilty to attacking Stow, they remain in prison.

Louie Sanchez has roughly three years remaining on his conviction for attacking Stow. He was recently sentenced to an additional six years in prison for being a felon in possession of firearms.

The other man, Marvin Norwood, was sentenced to four years in prison for his role in Stow's attack. He must serve an additional two and a half years on gun charges as well.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live