Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Police Charge Man with DUI After Rollover Crash in Plainfield



Police arrested a Moosup drunken driver after a late night rollover crash in that section of Plainfield on Friday, police said.

Frederick Wrobel, 48, was driving eastbound on Moosup Pond Road in his 2006 Dodge 3500 when he veered off the right shoulder  near the Interstate 395 overpass on Friday, according to police. His pick-up truck hit a stone wall and flipped multiple times before crashing into a tree and landing on its roof in the eastbound lane of the roadway, police said.

Police responded at about 10:49 p.m., as well as Moosup firefighters.
Wrobel declined medical attention at the scene.
Police charged him with operating under the influence of alcohol and or drugs and failure to maintain an established lane.
He is scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 8.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Windsor Police Department Reports Phone System Problem


The Windsor Police Department reports that its routine phone lines are down due to a telephone system problem.

Citizens who call the routine number, 860-688, have been hearing a recording informing them that "the number is no longer valid," police said. 911 emergency lines have not been affected and are working, according to police.

The department's telephone carrier is working to resolve the issue and police said they hope the phone line will be functioning properly again within the next 24 hours.

Anyone in need of routine police assistance can contact police dispatchers at 860-688-1755, 860-688-3378 and 860-6881083, the department said in a news release.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: AP

3-Year-Old Boy Among 13 Shot Overnight in Chicago


At least 13 people were shot overnight in Chicago, including a 3-year-old boy who was critically wounded in a shooting on the city’s West Side.

Police believe the toddler found a gun in a home in the 4300 block of West Monroe Street around 7:30 p.m. Friday and the gun fired when he or a playmate was handling it.

The boy was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition, officials said.

Police are searching for the boy’s father, who is on parole, in connection with the shooting.

The weapon has not been recovered, police said.

The toddler is the second juvenile to be shot in the city this week.

On Wednesday, a 9-year-old boy was gunned down in a backyard on the city’s South Side. A $13,500 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the boy’s killer.

At least 12 others were shot Friday night into Saturday morning.

  • Around 6 a.m., an 18-year-old man was shot in the 2700 block of West 24th Street, police said. The teen was shot in the chest and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. Details surrounding the shooting weren’t immediately available.
  • About 15 minutes earlier, another 18-year-old man was shot in the 10700 block of South Hoxie Street in the South Deering neighborhood, police said. The teen was shot in the temple and was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition. Authorities said the teen was in an alley at the time of the shooting, but further details surrounding what happened were not immediately known.
  • Around 3:30 a.m., a shooting the 9900 block of South Torrence Avenue in the Jeffery Manor neighborhood left a 22-year-old man with gunshot wounds to the groin and both legs. The man transported himself to Trinity Hospital after the shooting and was later transferred to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition, according to authorities. Police said the man was being uncooperative with officers and details surrounding the shooting were not immediately clear.
  • Roughly 15 minutes earlier, a 26-year-old man was shot in the 9800 block of South Yates, also in the Jeffery Manor neighborhood. The man was shot in the calf and taken in good condition to Trinity Hospital. The man told police he was standing outside when he “heard shots and felt pain.” He suffered a gunshot wound to the lower leg and police said he was being uncooperative with investigating officers.
  • Just before 3 a.m., a 31-year-old man was shot in the 1600 block of West Juneway Terrace. The man told police he was walking on the block when someone walked up and shot him in the leg. The man was taken to Evanston Hospital by a family member and was listed in stable condition.
  • Around 1:20 a.m., police said a 20-year-old man was shot in the arm in the 100 block of North Hoyne Avenue. The man was transported to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in stable condition. He told police he was with a large group of people in a lot on the block and was seated on the passenger side of a vehicle when shots rang out and he realized he had been shot.
  • About an hour earlier, a 24-year-old man was shot while driving on Lake Shore Drive. The man was in the 2500 block of Lake Shore Drive near the Park West neighborhood when someone inside a light-colored vehicle pulled alongside him and fired shots. The man was shot in the left cheek and exited at Fullerton where he called police. He was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in stable condition, police said.
  • Just before 11 p.m. Friday, a 20-year-old man was shot in the 4500 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue. The man was standing outside when someone drove by in a silver-colored SUV and opened fire. The man was shot in the knee as he attempted to flee the scene, police said. He was taken by a friend to Mercy Hospital in stable condition.
  • A 34-year-old man was shot in the leg around 10:30 p.m. in the 6400 block of South Rockwell Street in the Marquette Park neighborhood, police said. The man told police he “heard shots and felt pain.” He was taken in stable condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center.
  • Around 9:50 p.m., a 19-year-old man took himself to Provident Hospital with a gunshot wound to the groin. The man told authorities he had been shot hours earlier in the 700 block of West Garfield Boulevard. He said he felt pain in his abdomen but did not immediately realize he had been shot.
  • Just after 9 p.m. Friday, two people were shot in the 12300 block of South Emerald Avenue in the West Pullman neighborhood on the Far South Side. A 20-year-old man was shot in the stomach and a 24-year-old man was shot in the shoulder. Both were taken in stable condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center. The two told police they were standing on the street when two men walked up and fired shots at them.

Hot Air Balloon Festival to Take Off in Plainville Sunday


Look up at the skies this weekend in Plainville, and you just might spot a giraffe or a wicked witch.

No, your eyes aren’t deceiving you. Those are just two of nearly thirty hot air balloon designs featured at the Plainville Fire Company Hot Air Balloon Festival underway at Norton Park.

This annual tradition, now in its thirtieth year, draws thousands of spectators from all over New England and New York. It’s all to raise funds for the town’s all-volunteer fire department and the local organizations they support.

“It’s the biggest fundraiser the fire company has right now,” said festival co-chairman and firefighter Phil Brousseau. “And the money goes back to the community in the forms of scholarships.”

The hot air balloons take top billing at the three day event running Friday through Sunday morning, but the festival has also expanded over the years to include live music, fair food and more than 75 craft vendors.

The festival opens at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday, with one last balloon flight scheduled for 6 a.m. Admission and parking are free.

For parking information and an event schedule visit http://www.plainvillefireco.com/Balloon_Festival.html

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Caught on Camera: Man, 65, Attacked Over Gas Pump


A 65-year-old man was confronted by a group of women and beaten up in front of his 7-year-old great grandson at a Victorville, California, gas station Friday afternoon in an incident that was caught on camera, officials said.

The altercation occurred around 1 p.m. at the ARCO gas station on the 12000 block of Hesperia Road. The victim, Danny Froschauer, said the fight was over a gas pump.

Froschauer said the women in another other car started yelling "we was going to go there, get your car out of there" after he had already pulled into the desired pump. Froschauer said he refused and that the women then began approaching his car and yelling.

Froschauer said that one of the women then went inside the gas station and put money on that pump. 

"She came back out and said, 'ha, now you can’t do anything, because I put money on that pump and we’re going to use that pump,' and I said 'no you’re not,'" Froschauer said. "I thought she was going to come up to my face and argue some more and I’m just standing there, and she got right close to me, and then sucker punched me."

Froschauer said that he tried to knock away their hits by swinging his arms, but that he did not hit the women.

Froschauer’s great-grandson Dakota said that one woman who was pregnant even threatened him.

'I said leave my grandpa alone," Dakota said. "She said, 'shut up little kid, I don’t care if you’re little or not, I will still push you.'"

Dakota said that he threatened to call police, but that the women then tried to knock his phone from his hand.

"I didn’t know like really what to do," Dakota said. "I was kind of scared."

According to Froschauer, one of the women confronted a witness who was recording the incident on his cell phone and tried to take the device from him. One of the women allegedly stole a cellphone during the confrontation, officials said.

Froschauer credits the gas station owner for breaking up the fight. Shortly thereafter, law enforcement arrived on scene.

"I feel real lucky, as violent as they was, I, you know, I’ve seen women on TV fighting and they kind of smack at each other, but those three punch like a guy," Froschauer said. "I think that they deserve jail time, because if it’s not me, they’re going to get somebody else…because for no more confrontation than what we had, of the arguing that we had, for them to get violent like they did, they’re going to do it somebody else."

San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Sgt. Ken Lutz confirmed Friday night that the women in the video had been detained and that the incident was under investigation.

Authorities said Saturday that two women were arrested on suspicion of strong arm robbery and taken to jail. A third woman was not arrested because she is pregnant, but officials said she would be charged at a later time.

Dakota has his own advice for the women involved in this incident.

"Don’t be so violent over like a gas pump. It’s really just a gas pump and there’s other places you could have gone or waited for," the great-grandson said. "Because we didn’t pretty much didn’t see you pulling and we got there first and you didn’t have to be violent."

3 Students Die, 5 Hurt in Car Crash


Three Japanese exchange students died and five others were injured after a teenager drove down an embankment and crashed into a power pole Thursday night in Oceanside, California.

California Highway Patrol officers say before the incident, the students were at a beach in Oceanside for a student-organized event. Many had gotten there by Sprinter train, but since the service stopped at 10 p.m., some had no way to get back to Palomar Community College.

One 19-year-old student, who had a five-seater Honda Prelude, offered to give those left behind a ride, which they accepted.

They loaded into the small car -- two in the front and six in the back.

The eight people, ages 18 to 22, then traveled eastbound on SR-78 east of El Camino Real at an unknown speed when the driver veered off the road for an unknown reason just before 11 p.m., according to official reports.

He crashed into a power pole, splitting it in half. The driver of the car and two others, a male and female, were killed, while two women and three men suffered non-life threatening injuries.

Four were taken to local hospitals via ground ambulance and one was flown to Palomar Hospital. CHP officials said four of the five have moderate injuries. One had serious injuries.

All of the people in the car were first-year, incoming exchange students from Japan attending Palomar Community College, school officials said.

The CHP said there was a language and cultural barrier between officers and the students, so it was difficult to determine exactly why the driver crashed. One person said man behind the wheel went to change lanes and then suddenly made a sharp turn off the road.

Students on campus were just beginning to learn about the crash when school officials confirmed the connection to NBC 7.

Palomar College President Robert Deegan said this is the first time the campus has suffered a tragedy involving so many students in his time at the campus.

"We want to express our heartfelt condolensces to the families and friends of these students," said Deegan. "We've lost three members of the Palomar family and we are truly reeling from the loss."

The crash remains under investigation, and it is not known if alcohol or drugs played a factor in the incident. Officials say they also don’t know if the occupants were wearing seatbelts.

A Sig Alert was issued as San Diego Gas & Electric crews work to replace the pole. All but one lane was open.

Eight customers in the area lost power due to the crash, which SDG&E expects to restore by 8:30 a.m.

Photo Credit: NBC 7

Bao Bao Celebrates 1st Birthday


Bao Bao, the National Zoo’s panda cub, celebrated her first birthday on Saturday with a traditional Chinese ceremony.

The cub’s birth was a significant conservation success for the National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute, which has been studying giant pandas for 42 years. She was born as the result of a precisely timed artificial insemination performed by the panda team at the Zoo, which included Zoo scientists, veterinarians and keepers, and scientists from the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda.

Her birthday celebration was highlighted by a Zhuazhou ceremony, in which symbolic objects are placed in front of a baby. The item the baby reached for first is supposed to indicate something about that baby’s future.

In Bao Bao’s case, three posters with symbols painted on them were hung with honey treats under each. The symbols were peaches (longevity), bamboo (good health), and pomegranates (fertility).

Bao Bao chose the peaches first, which, according to the ceremony, means she will live a long life.

The panda also received a tiered cake made of frozen diluted apple juice and dyed varying shades of pink using beet juice. Frozen between the tiers were apple and pear slices, some of the pandas’ favorite foods. The cake was decorated with flowers carved from carrots and sweet potatoes.

When Bao Bao is four, she will travel to China and enter the breeding program for giant pandas.

Photo Credit: National Zoo

Driver Pleads Guilty to Manslaughter in Wolcott Fatal Crash Case


A driver who police said was texting while driving when she struck and killed a motorcyclist in Wolcott late June of last year has pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter.

Stephanie Clavell, 24, also pleaded not guilty to operating an unregistered motor vehicle and operating a motor vehicle with a hand-held telephone, electronic device or while texting, according to the state judicial website.

She is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 10.

Clavell was driving her Subaru on June 25 when she ran into motorcyclist Terrence Doyle while he was stopped at a traffic light on Meriden Road in Wolcott, killing him. 

Police arrested her on July 15, 2013 after she turned herself into police.

Photo Credit: Wolcott Police

Disgruntled Ex Runs Over Man's New Girlfriend


A man’s disgruntled ex-girlfriend took it upon herself to harm the man’s new girlfriend by hitting her with a car in a parking lot Friday night, San Diego police confirmed.

The incident happened around 10:30 p.m. in the 3400 block of College Avenue in San Diego’s Oak Park area.

Police said a man and his girlfriend, both 26 years old, were driving on College Avenue when the man’s 23-year-old ex-girlfriend saw the couple together inside the car.

That’s when the ex-girlfriend allegedly rammed into the back of the couple’s vehicle. The man stopped the car in a parking lot in front of a Kohls store and the ex continued to hit the couple’s car.

Police said the man’s new girlfriend got out of the vehicle. The suspect then allegedly ran over the woman and fled the scene.

The victim sustained significant injuries to the lower-half of her body and was taken to a local hospital. She is expected to survive.

Officers searched addresses for the suspect and she was ultimately found and arrested for assault with a deadly weapon.

The domestic violence incident remains under investigation. The SDPD did not release the names of the victims or suspect.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC Connecticut

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Waterford Police Warn of New Scam Call


Waterford police are warning residents about a new scam that starts off informing a victim he or she has won money and then asks for a payment as part of the process.

A Waterford resident told police that a person called identifying himself as Eric Johnson and a government employee. What he said next starts off as seemingly good news.

"The suspect said that the resident had been a `good citizen` and had won $9,180 which would come in 4 installments," Waterford police said on the department's Facebook page.

But Waterford police said that "if it sounds too good to be true" is probably is and are cautioning people, "Don't fall for this one."

The caller then told the resident that he "had to give some of the money to the community in which he lived," but first the caller asked the resident to wire $180 from Western Union" to a Washington D.C. address. Police said that the caller's number was 202-657-5633. 

A search in Google of the number reveals several posts describing a similar scam. When doing a reverse phone number search on whitepages.com, the phone number comes up as "Level3 VolP" located in Hyattsville, MD with a note that "Heavy spam activity is suspected."

Waterford police said on their Facebook page that no residents have fallen for the ploy, but are spreading the word about the scam.

Vet Tries to Prove He's Not Dead


U.S. Army veteran Marco Hernandez is on a mission: to prove he's not dead.

The predicament has gone on now for more than 2 years.

"I pulled my credit report, and I was laughing when I saw it because it said, 'items affecting your credit: deceased, deceased, deceased,'" Hernandez said.

It all began in October 2011, after he called the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Hernandez, who served two tours of duty in Iraq, had begun caring for his ill father back in Guatemala, who later died.

The call was to suspend his dad's health insurance payments.

"I called the VA to report that he was dead, and someone at the VA did all the paperwork correctly," Hernandez said. "Unfortunately, somebody made a mistake and about three weeks after my father passed away. My relatives received some paperwork saying I was the one who passed away."

Instead, Hernandez learned the VA pulled the plug on him, causing what he describes as a terrible "trickle-down" effect.

Hernandez says his bank account was frozen and credit cards were canceled. The ordeal has cost him thousands in missed veterans benefits. He says calls to his bank, creditors and the VA led to nowhere.

"Everytime I try to do something people come up with different things that I'm supposed to be doing," Hernandez said.

Team 6 reached out to the VA, and they tell us they're open to working with Hernandez to resolve his case.

Baby Left in Car Overnight Outside Bar: PD


A 2-year-old girl was left in a car overnight outside a sports bar in Bristol, Connecticut, while the mother spent the evening in the hospital because she was intoxicated, police said.

Police arrested Kelsey James, 22, of Bristol, after learning that her daughter was left in her car for more than five hours.

Police responded to City Sports Grille at 177 Farmington Avenue in Bristol at about 11:56 p.m. on Friday to investigate a report of a woman found sleeping at the bar who was "intoxicated and incapacitated," according to a news release from the police department.

She was taken to Bristol Hospital for treatment and to be evaluated. When she woke up at about 5:20 a.m., she asked hospital staff where her baby was, so the hospital contacted police. 

Police found her 2-year-old daughter sleeping in the mother's car at the sports bar parking lot, where she was left while her mother was in the bar and then the hospital, according to police.

The baby was taken to Bristol Hospital to be evaluated and is okay, police said. She is being kept in the hospital until Department of Children and Families representatives arrive in response to the incident.

Police charged James with risk of injury and leaving a child unsupervised in a vehicle, according to police.

The mother was released after posting a $50,000 bond and she is scheduled to appear in Bristol Superior Court on Sept. 2.

NBC Connecticut knocked on her door for comment, but no one answered.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hartford Police Collect 12 Firearms at Gun Buy Back


Hartford police collected 12 firearms and three realistic looking facsimile guns at its second gun buy back of the summer on Saturday. 

The gun buy back offered people gift cards in exchange for unwanted working handguns, shotguns and rifles turned in between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Saturday at the Pope Park Arroyo Center at 30 Pope Park Road in Hartford.

Police collected three pistols, six revolvers, two shotguns and one rifle at the buy back event.

Handguns were exchangeable for $200 gift cards, according to Hartford police. Those who turned over shotguns and rifles received $50 gift cards.

Guns will be accepted from all residents in the area but only Hartford residents will receive gift cards.

Photo Credit: NBCMiami.com

Boy With 1 Arm Is Golf Prodigy


Summertime for 3-year-old golf prodigy Tommy Morrissey means days spent hitting 100-yard drives over lakes at an Atlantic County country club. He steps up to the tee, lines up his driver, hesitates for just a moment, and cracks the golf ball over the water…all with one arm.

Tommy was born missing his right hand and part of his right arm below the elbow.

As he grew up in his hometown of Juniper, Fla., Tommy would watch golf on television with his father Joe and mother Marcia Lee. When he was about 18 months old, Tommy’s parents noticed that he was very interested in the sport, standing in front of the television and mimicking the golfer’s swings.

They gave him a set of plastic golf clubs, brought him out on the range, and saw he was a natural from his first perfect contact.

“His true ability is to look and learn,” Joe said. “I have given him very little instruction.”

When he was a little over 2-years-old, Tommy began using an iPad to look up golf tutorial videos on his own.

“I walked in, I asked what he’s doing, and he said, ‘Daddy, I’m taking a golf lesson’,” Joe said.

At night, teddy bears would not accompany Tommy to bed. Instead, he was tucked in with an array of at least 7 clubs.

“One time he refused to go to bed, and [I] finally got him to go to sleep and he insisted on this club or that club,” Joe said. “I put him down, and my wife and I heard him yelling, ‘Mommy, Daddy, you forgot my putter!’”

Tommy has since switched to real clubs, having torn apart multiple sets of his old plastic ones. The weight of the clubs is a challenge for him, but Jeff LeFevre, Golf Director for the Linwood Country Club where Tommy and his father play during their summers at the Jersey Shore, says that difficulty does not hold the prodigy back.

“It’s such a difficult game with two hands, two arms,” LeFevre said. “And here we are, a 3-year-old with one arm with absolutely great rhythym, great set-up…truly, truly a golf prodigy.”

Tommy doesn't see himself as different than other children his age. He simply calls his shorter arm “Nemo” after the fish with one small fin in Finding Nemo.

In addition to his love of golf, Tommy plays many other sports, punting a football or hitting a baseball out of the park.

Joe and his wife say that while having one arm has been a challenge for Tommy, in the end it is also a gift.

“He has been able to bring grown men to tears on the driving range. . .In his short life, he has been able to inspire many, make people second guess their own capabilities,” Joe said. “…He is doing it with probably one of the most powerful tools, and that is the innocence of a child.”

In the end, Tommy is just a kid wanting to have fun playing the sport that he loves.

“He does like to hit the ball in the water, but that’s ‘cause he’s 3,” Joe said. “He doesn’t understand that’s bad yet.”

Biker Dies After Being Hit By Truck


A bicyclist died after being hit by a pick-up truck on Chestnut Land Road in New Milford Saturday morning.

The road was closed for several hours near 415 Chestnut Land Road after a driver pulling into a driveway struck a biker at about 8:20 a.m., police said. The road has since reopened.

The driver, who police identified as John Kimberly, 22, of New Milford, stayed at the scene following the accident and was not charged, police said.

Emergency personnel performed CPR at the scene and an ambulance transported the bicyclist to the New Milford Hospital emergency room for treatement. The biker later succumbed to his injuries, police confirmed late Saturday afternoon.

Police are not releasing the identity of the biker pending notification of next of kin.

The accident remains under investigation.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Cop Charged With Homicide in Crash


A police officer has been charged with motor vehicle homicide and operating under the influence for a crash that killed a 26-year-old man in Methuen, Massachusetts.

Methuen Police say that 41-year-old Lowell Police Officer Eric Wayne was intoxicated and had an open container of alcohol during the crash early Saturday morning.

Briant Paula, who was traveling with his sister along Riverside Drive, was approaching the intersection with Strathmore Road when Wayne's vehicle collided with him.

A loud boom alerted Jim Christofferson, who immidiately called the police.

"I hung up the phone and went over to the driver's side," said Christofferson. "The door was completely off."

Methuen Police and firefighters arrived on the scene and used the jaws of life to extricate Paula out of the vehicle. He was rushed to Lawrence General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Paula's sister, Lois Paula, was transported to Lowell General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

"He's got to live with this," said Christofferson of Wayne. "He's going to live with it until the day he dies."

Wayne is being held on $500,000 cash bail pending arraignment in Lawrence District Court.

Photo Credit: @patronick328 via Twitter

Dog Rescued From Cliff


A happy ending for a woman and her dog who were stranded on a beach cliff in San Francisco Saturday.

Authorities said the woman and her dog were stranded about 200 feet down a cliff at Fort Funston.

The woman was able to make it down to the beach, but she could not get her dog to follow.

Rescuers were called in to help but had a little trouble getting to the dog at first.

"It was a little windy out here, but we were able to manage to set up an anchor system so we could rescue the person and her dog," San Francisco Fire Department spokesman Kevin Smith said.

Smith also said he wanted to remind people with dogs to keep them nearby, especially near the cliffs.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

Mom, Son Exchange Gunfire


A man who was shot by his own mother now faces charges after investigators determined that he tried to shoot her before she opened fire.

On Friday shortly after 9 p.m., police were called to the 5700 block of McMahon Avenue in the Germantown section of the city for a report of gunshots. When they arrived they found a 45-year-old man inside the home suffering from a gunshot wound to the stomach.

Police interviewed the man's 78-year-old mother who claimed she shot her son in self-defense. The woman told police she was inside her home when her son, who appeared drunk, threatened to strangle her.

The woman says she was frightened and barricaded herself in her second floor bedroom when she heard two loud bangs. That's when police say the son pushed his way into his mother's bedroom. The man then allegedly pointed a gun at his mother and said, "I'm gonna shoot you b****."

The woman says she then picked up her own handgun that was on her bed and fired multiple shots, striking her son once in the stomach. The woman says her son fired a shot while leaning against the wall. The bullet missed her and struck a wall. The woman says she then barricaded herself inside her room until police arrived.

The son was taken to the hospital where he underwent surgery. He is currently in stable condition. Police say he will be charged with aggravated assault and other related offenses.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Woman Killed in Boston Parade


A 26-year-old Boston woman was gunned down at a parade in the city's Dorchester neighborhood.

University of Massachusetts Amherst graduate Dawnn Jaffier was shot and killed in broad daylight Saturday morning. She was participating in the J'Ouvert Parade in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood.

Jaffier, a volunteer with the Boys and Girls Club, was found shot in the head at the corner of Blue Hill Avenue and Charlotte Street. Police say it looks like she was not the intended target.

Another woman was shot and grazed in the leg. She is recovering at Carney Hospital.

The parade is part of the day-long Boston Carnival.

The victim's father, Ian Jaffier, is hoping one of the thousands in attendance saw or heard something.

"Beautiful person, beautiful heart, always giving to the community," he said. "If anybody's seen anything or has heard anything or can come forward to help the Boston Police solve this murder, it would be greatly appreciated."

Police questioned a group of people and arrested 18-year-old Keith Williams for illegal possession of a firearm.

He was not charged with murder.

Boston Police ask anyone with information to contact them.

Photo Credit: NECN

Wiz Khalifa Show Canceled After Bay Area Shooting


Saturday night's Wiz Khalifa show at Chula Vista's Sleep Train Amphitheatre in San Diego was canceled in the wake of a fatal shooting at Friday night's show at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, Calif.

A Live Nation spokeswoman for Sleep Train Amphitheatre released the following statement Saturday afternoon:

"Due to an active investigation at the Shoreline Amphitheatre stemming from an incident after last night's performance, tonight’s Under the Influence of Music Tour show in Chula Vista, Calif., has been canceled and will not be rescheduled. Ticket holders should return to the point of purchase for a refund.

We abhor violence of any kind. We continue to cooperate with authorities in their investigation into last night's isolated incident, and any further inquiries need to be directed to the Mountain View Police.

Fans who purchased [tickets] through LiveNation.com or Ticketmaster.com will be automatically refunded and do not need to take any further action. If you purchased tickets at the venue box office, you may return tickets for a full refund starting Monday, Aug. 25 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Refunds will be issued via the original method of payment.""

At 2:50 p.m. Saturday, Khalifa posted via his official Twitter account:

It was quickly followed a minute later with another statement:

Mountain View police spokeswoman Shino Tanaka told The Associated Press that the shooting happened backstage at the popular Silicon Valley venue, where Pittsburgh rapper Wiz Khalifa performed Friday night. The unidentified 38-year-old man died at a local hospital Saturday after being shot multiple times during the show.

Police rushed to the outdoor venue after receiving multiple calls that shots had been fired, but officers are still looking for a male suspect believed to be in his 20s. They are asking concertgoers for photos or videos that might provide clues.

Tanaka told KTVU-TV that authorities didn't yet know how a gun made it into the amphitheatre, where patrons undergo security screening.

The immensely popular rapper rose to prominence after hitting the Hot Rap Tracks charts in 2008 with his song "Say Yeah" and broke out worldwide after his 2010 single "Black and Yellow" hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. His latest album, "Blacc Hollywood," was released on Aug. 19 and features guest appearances by Juicy J, Snoop Dogg, Rick Ross, Nas and Nicki Minaj.

Photo Credit: Getty Images
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live