Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Man Arrested in Naugatuck Stabbing


Police have arrested the man accused of stabbing another person in the abdomen during a fight in Naugatuck.

Dwight Brown, 44, is facing assault charges. Police said he stabbed the victim around 11:45 p.m. at 346 High Street in Naugatuck after the two began to fight.

The victim was taken to the hospital for treatment of a three-inch gash.

Brown was charged with first-degree assault, breach of peace and first-degree reckless endangerment with intent of intimidation.

He was held on $250,000 bond and appeared in court Monday.

Photo Credit: Naugatuck Police Department

Motorcycle Crash Causes Delays on I-84 West in West Hartford


Traffic was backed up on Interstate 84 westbound starting in the area of exit 40 in West Hartford following a motorcycle crash on the highway late Monday afternoon.

According to the Department of Transportation, a car collided with a motorcycle between exit 39A in Farmington and exit 40 in West Hartford. Traffic was delayed for more than five miles to exit 50 as a result.

Photos from the scene show a fire truck and state police crusiers blocking off the right-hand lanes. At least one person was taken from the scene on a stretcher.

Police have not released any information on injuries.

The right lane of traffic was closed while authorities work to clear the scene. Department of Transportation traffic cameras showed DOT trucks laying down sand in the right lane.

Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Mike from Bristol

Education Group Backs Malloy


One of the state's biggest teachers unions announced Monday that its board believes Gov. Dan Malloy deserves another four years.

"It wasn't a close vote" said Mark Waxenberg, executive director of the Connecticut Education Association, a group that touts a membership of more than 40,000.

The group cited its history with the governor, as well Malloy's priorities of improving public education as its rationale for throwing its support behind the Democrat in the race.

“We examined the facts associated with both candidates based on the interests that were expressed to us by our members, and an examination of those facts shows clearly that the governor is the better candidate for teachers, students and the betterment of public education," Waxenberg added.

Malloy said the endorsement didn't come as a surprise, given the topics that are important to him.

“We know what works," Malloy said following an event in Middletown on Monday. "Good summer programs, more intensive teacher involvement, team teaching, allowing teachers to have time to work together to turn around a school is important.”

Both the CEA and the governor used the platform of the endorsement to slam Republican Tom Foley's education plans that he rolled out last week.

Waxenberg and Malloy called Foley's framework for improving schools a "disaster."

“Up until the last few weeks he had no plan for public education" Waxenberg said. "We did the research on his plan and what we found is that plan is a recipe for disaster.”

Foley's education priorities included creating a new system to allow students in failing schools to transfer into better public schools and allowing the money to follow the child.

Foley also proposed establishing an A-F grading system for all public schools to allow parents to see the quality of school that their child attends.

In a statement, a Foley campaign spokesman responded to the CEA support for Foley saying, "Tom Foley remains committed to real education reform, including addressing the needs of the 100,000 children who are in under-performing schools and closing Connecticut's achievement gap which remains the worst in the nation."

Malloy, in full campaign mode while talking to reporters in Middletown, said Foley's "education plan was horrendous, quite frankly.”

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Redevelopment Coming to Middletown Riverfront


Middletown's mayor and Gov. Dan Malloy announced new plans to redevelop the area along the Connecticut River on Monday.

"We're aiming to quadruple the economic here," said Gerald Daley, a member of the Riverfront Redevelopment Committee.

The state has pledge $2.6 million to the project, which will be used to design a boathouse and event center, conduct and environmental assessment, and provide environmental remediation and clean up relating to an old sewage treatment plant that's just a stone's throw from the area that will be redeveloped.

“I imagine a family, 50, 100, 200 years out into the future standing where we are today and enjoying an entirely different view and enjoying an entirely different vista because we came together as a community and as a state right now to build it,” Mayor Dan Drew said.

City officials also say there are plans to increase the amount of residential and mixed-use space along the river.

Drew said the city will hold more events, like movie screenings and community activities, near the river to get residents into the habit of coming to the river.

Danny Cronin owns the Mattabesett Canoe Club, the only restaurant in Middletown along the river. He says the more foot traffic that comes that way, the better it is for business.

"You know a high tide floats all boats as the expression goes and it’s very apt on the Connecticut River. A spectacular resource, we’re all going to win," Cronin said. "The community wins.”

According to the mayor, a full redevelopment of the city's section along the Connecticut River could lead to an annual economic impact of about $7.75 million each year, including a half million in sales tax receipts.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Water Main Break Floods Waterford Streets


Authorities are working to repair a water main break that has made roads impassible in the area of Thrush Street and Mackenzie Road in Waterford, according to police.

The water company is heading to the scene to begin fixing the break, police said.

It's not clear how many homes have been affected, but main is located in a residential area.

Police are asking residents to avoid the area where streets are flooded.

Hartford Car Dealer Scams Customers Out of $13K: DMV


A used car dealer from Hartford is facing charges after collecting more than $13,000 from customers over a period of six months by selling them invalid extended warranties, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

DMV Motor Vehicle Inspectors arrested 53-year-old Daniel Garcia, who owns Danny’s Auto World Sales and Service at 446 Franklin Avenue in Hartford, and charged him with larceny. His dealer license has also been suspended pending an Oct. 15 hearing.

According to the DMV, Garcia scammed a dozen customers out who paid for extended warranties but never received coverage. The DMV said it received multiple complaints from customers whose cars needed repairs and who had no money to pay for them.

The Pennsylvania-based warranty company, Cars Protection Plus, told the DMV it had never received money for the warranties.

Garcia was released on $5,000 bond and is due in court Oct. 7.

Customers are encouraged to contact the warranty company directly when purchasing coverage to ensure that it’s valid and should also make sure payment is received.

If there is an issue, bring it to the attention of the dealer. If the problem persists, submit a written claim to the DMV.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Woman Hurt When Bullets Strike New Haven Homes


Bullet holes in two homes are reminders of what happened in the 600 block of Dixwell Avenue in New Haven this weekend.

According to police, about three shots were fired around 9:40 p.m. Sunday, and the bullets ended up in two neighboring houses, injuring one of the residents.

“Watching TV, my children were walking the dog, and I heard the gunshots. Of course, I don't know if they're OK, and shortly after, we just came out to see what was going on, and I realized my neighbor was hurt,” said Erika, whose house was hit. She declined to give her last name.

According to police, 53-year-old Linda Atkins told police she was in her home when she heard her window break, then noticed she was bleeding.

Her neighbor says the wound was on the side of her face. Doctors told police it's not clear if Atkins was struck by a bullet or injured in a fall. She was released from the hospital Sunday night.

“It's just upsetting. I feel violated. I don't even know where to begin. It's tough, because it could have been talking about someone being dead right now,” said Erika.

Police are still looking for suspects and ask anyone with information to give the New Haven Police Department a call.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Burglar Steals From Hamden Home While Residents Sleep


Police are searching for the person who climbed through the window of a Hamden home early Monday morning and stole from the residents while they were sleeping.

It's the city's third home invasion in the past two weeks, and police are investigation a possible connection between two of the break-ins.

According to police, the suspect crawled through an unlocked window to enter a home on West Helen Street in Hamden. The burglar took a purse, house keys and car keys while the residents were asleep upstairs.

"There are things she can't replace that were in her wallet," said Cindy Simell-Devoe, a neighbor and close friend of the victim. "This is the first in our neighborhood, but I'm sure if it's ours, it's everybody's."

Simell-Devoe said neighbors plan to start a block watch in hopes of warding off criminals. She and her husband are keeping lights on at night and activating the alarm system.

"My husband wanted to take the hard drive out of our computer," Simell-Devoe explained. "I said, 'The day we take the hard drive out of the computer is the day we put the for sale sign up,' because I'm not going to live like that."

Police are searching for the culprit. Anyone with information on the crime is urged to call Hamden police Det. Sean Dolan at 203-230-4040.

12 Confirmed Cases of Enterovirus-D68 in Connecticut


There have been 12 confirmed cases of Enterovirus-D68 in Connecticut, according to the state Department of Health. 

Officials from the state Department of Health said on Monday that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed an additional 11 cases of the virus that has sickened 277 people in 40 states and the District of Columbia since mid-August. 

Earlier this month, state health officials said the CDC had confirmed a pediatric case of the illness. A spokesperson from Yale-New Haven Hospital said a 6-year-old girl had been treated at the hospital for Enterovirus-D68.

Two cases have been confirmed at Danbury Hospital, according to Dr. Gregory Dworkin, who said positive test results were returned today. Both patients have been treated and released.

Dworkin said no additional test results are pending at Danbury Hospital.

A spokesperson from Yale-New Haven Hospital said Monday that seven cases have been confirmed at the hospital, and earlier this morning, officials at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center said three of the six samples they sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tested positive for Enterovirus-D68.

The new cases are all pediatric patients from three Connecticut hospitals, according to the state Department of Public Health, and all patients have recovered and been discharged.

The DPH has reported a total of 13 confirmed cases in Connecticut, but numbers from the affected hospitals indicate 12 total cases statewide.

Enterovirus cases are common in the summer and fall and the number of infections drops later in the fall, according to the CDC.

Parents concerned about the virus can monitor their children for the following symptoms:

  • Runny nose, sneezing, coughing
  • Skin rash
  • Mouth blisters
  • Body and muscle aches
  • Fever

The state Department of Health recommends good hygiene to avoid becoming in, including:

  • Washing hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds, especially after changing diapers, Avoiding touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
  • Avoiding kissing, hugging and sharing cups or eating utensils with people who are sick
  • Disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, such as toys and doorknobs, especially if someone is sick.

More information about the non-polio enterovirus is posted on the CDC's Web site.

Photo Credit: TELEMUNDO 48

New Haven Woman Hides Cocaine in Shoes, Purse at JFK: Officials


A New Haven woman was arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York after trying to smuggle more than $64,000 worth of cocaine from Jamaica in her shoes and purse, according to U.S. Customs officials.

Janisha Amalee Atkins, of New Haven, was stopped at JFK on Sept. 19 after flying back from Montego Bay, Jamaica.

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, airport authorities found two platform shoes in Atkins’ carry-on luggage “that felt unusually heavy.”

They checked her shoes to find cocaine hidden inside the platforms, and discovered more in the lining of her purse while searching her bags, CBP said.

Homeland Security seized the cocaine, which weighed 3.7 pounds and is worth more than $64,000, according to CBP.

Atkins is charged with smuggling narcotics and will face prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney's office in New York federal court.

Photo Credit: U.S. Customs and Border Protection

2 Homegrown Talents Wow Judges on 'The Voice'


Two musicians with Connecticut ties, Anita Antoinette and Blessing Offor, made quite the impression on NBC’s “The Voice” on Monday when they managed to make all four judges turn their chairs in approval during their blind audition.

Anita Antoinette

Judges Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani hit their buttons a mere four seconds into Antoinette's performance, with Adam Levine and Pharrell Williams following suit 25 seconds later.

Antoinette’s family was shown cheering her on from the green room with host Carson Daly.

Antoinette, the daughter of reggae artist Clinton Fearon, spent her early years in Kingston, Jamaica, before coming to the U.S. in 1996. She and her family settled in Boston and later in New Britain, according to her Facebook page.

The self-taught singer and guitarist went on to graduate from the Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts in 2008 before heading back to Boston to earn a bachelor’s degree in professional music at the Berklee College of Music in Boston.

This is her second run in the singing competition. Antoinette was previously featured in the show’s third season but was eliminated during the blind auditions when all four judges failed to turn.

Antoinette will work alongside coach Gwen Stefani as she advances to the next round.

Blessing Offor

Offor, a 2007 Hamden High School graduate who went on to attend Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, sang a soulful rendition of "Just The Two Of Us" and played along on the keyboard.

All four judges spun their chairs when Offor hit his final note, and Stefani told Offor his voice reminded her of Pharrell – his new coach.

Offor, who appeared on stage in sunglasses, told the judges he was born blind in one eye and lost sight in the other when he was 11 years old.

"I picked Pharrell because at this point, his track record is undeniable, so I'm really looking forward to working with him," Offor told Daly after his performance.

According to Offor's Web site, he has performed three times at The Kennedy Center in New York City and has produced a single, "Loving Each Other," to be released Oct. 14.

Tune in to see Antoinette and Offor perform on “The Voice” on Mondays and Tuesdays at 8 p.m. only on NBC Connecticut.

You can vote for them online later in the season.

Photo Credit: NBCUniversal, Inc./The Voice
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Authorities Respond to Dirt Bike Crash in Killingworth


Authorities are responding to a dirt bike crash on Rebecca Lane in Killingworth, according to the Killingworth Volunteer Fire Department.

A LifeStar helicopter was called but canceled.

There has been no word on injuries.

No additional information was immediately available.

Check back for updates.

Community Remembers Waterbury Dad Shot to Death


Emotions poured out as family and friends gathered on Gayridge Road in Waterbury to remember 52-year-old William Aquino, who died there after being shot Sunday night.

Mourners held each other close and supported one another while trying to come to terms with their loss. Dozens of candles lit up the night beneath pictures of Aquino, a husband and father of six.

"He didn't deserve this and didn't deserve to leave his girls by themselves," said a woman who identified herself as a close family friend. "He was a great, loving guy and a great father and second father and always around for me when I was little. He was a great man."

Sunday night around 8 p.m., Waterbury police blocked off the area and pored over the crime scene for clues after they found Aquino shot to death while sitting in his car.

Frightened neighbors told us they heard multiple gunshots and can't understand who could commit such a crime. Twenty-four hours later, that question still hangs in the air.

Friends and family expressed their thoughts and feelings at a vigil Monday night. A large crowd gathered to pay their respects to Aquino.

"He put his girls before anyone and anything," said family friend Carissa Hensley.

Aquino's loved ones continue to mourn and say they can't move on until they know who is responsible.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com/Family Photo

Wolcott Robotics Team Paints Mural for Dogs


The robotics team from Wolcott High School is giving back to the community through a team-building exercise truly for the dogs.

Students and mentors from Team MAX 1071 brightened up the Wolcott Dog Pound with a colorful mural designed to portray the life that every canine there aspires to achieve, according to the team.

True to their team's motto, "Take it to the MAX," team mebers went out all out in their efforts, which, according to a press release from the team, "taught students the value of hard work and working together with other people to reach a common goal."

Visit the Wolcott Dog Pound's Facebook page to learn more about adopting a dog.

Photo Credit: Wolcott High School Team MAX 1071

Man Steals $800 in Donations From Hooker Brewery


Police are searching for the man who broke into the Hooker Brewery in Bloomfield last night and stole a donation jar containing $800 toward a charity for homeless children from the bar counter.

Surveillance footage shows the suspect throwing a rock through the front window of the brewery at 16 Tobey Road in Bloomfield around 11:30 p.m. Sunday.

According to Hooker Brewery owner Curt Cameron, the crook made off with the brewery's collection jar for the Village for Families and Children, an agency that finds homes and behavioral health treatment for abandoned or neglected kids.

"The guy must have been here before because he knew exactly what he was going for," Cameron said. "I'm actually on the board of directors [at the Village for Families and Children], and believe it or not, I was actually adopted from there, so it's dear and close to me."

The organization helps about 8,000 children per year, Cameron said.

Surveillance video shows the suspect breaking in and fleeing the store moments later.

Anyone with information is urged to call Bloomfield police at 860-242-5501.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com/Hooker Brewery

2 Undercover Officers Involved in Berlin Crash


Two undercover officers were involved in a crash on North Colony Road in Berlin on Monday afternoon after the suspects led police on a chase and struck a flatbed truck, according to police.

Meriden police said the suspects drove off when two undercover narcotics officers tried to stop their car in Berlin.

They led police on to North Colony road, where they crashed into a fatbed. Police said the suspects got out and ran, but left the car in drive, so it rolled back and struck the police cruiser.

Police said the suspects were taken into custody and brought to Mid-State Medical Center for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. No one else was hurt in the crash.

North Colony Road is closed in both directions at the Berlin Turnpike in Berlin while authorities investigate.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

3 Injured in Wolcott Crash


Three people were sent to the hospital after a two-car crash on Route 322 near Meriden Road in Wolcott just before 7 a.m. on Tuesday. 

Police said the car that was heading uphill crossed the center line and hit a car that was going down the hill.

Two people were trapped inside the car that has been going up the hill and emergency officials had to use the Jaws of Life to cut the roof off and free them.

The driver and a passenger both suffered serious, but not life-threatening injuries, according to police.

The other driver was also injured and ambulances took all three people to the hospital. 

The road was closed as officials responded, but it has since reopened.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Teen Charged with Sex Assault of Juvenile


Milford police have arrested an 18-year-old man accused of sexually assaulting a juvenile.

Police started investigating Henry Goerig, 18, of Milford, after a sexual assault was reported on Sept. 21, according to police.

Police said Goerig  is accused of having a “non-consensual sexual relationship,” with the juvenile and the alleged assault happened at a home.

Goerig was arrested on Friday and charged with first-degree sexual assault, risk of injury to a minor, third-degree assault and first-degree unlawful restraint.

Bond was originally set at $150,000.

Online court records say bond is now set at $75,000, Goerig has not entered a plea and he is due in court on Oct. 21.

His attorney had no comment.

2 Crashes on I-84 East in Southington


Two crashes on I-84 East in Southington caused problems for part of the morning commute this morning.

There was one crash between exits 31 and 32 and another on the exit 32 off-ramp to Queen Street, according to state police.

The crashes have cleared and the congestion is easing.

For more traffic news and alerts, follow Heidi Voight on Twitter.

Photo Credit: Connecticut DOT Traffic cameras

Michael Phelps Arrested for DUI in Maryland


Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps was arrested and charged with DUI and other charges in Maryland early Tuesday morning.

Tuesday afternoon, Phelps pleaded for forgiveness on Twitter, writing, "I understand the severity of my actions and take full responsibility... I am deeply sorry."

Police say Phelps was clocked driving 84 mph in a 45 mph zone on southbound Interstate 395 leaving Baltimore.

An officer then followed Phelps' white 2014 Land Rover through the Fort McHenry Tunnel on northbound Interstate 95, said Maryland Transportation Authority Police.

Phelps was speeding and crossing double lines in the tunnel, they said.

The officer stopped Phelps just beyond the tunnel’s toll plaza. Authorities say he appeared to be under the influence and failed a series of field sobriety tests. Phelps was cooperative during the process, they said.

Phelps was arrested around 1:40 a.m., TMZ first reported. He was charged with DUI, excessive speed and crossing double lane lines, and was later released.

The swimmer posted a series of tweets Tuesday afternoon, apologizing for the incident. "I understand the severity of my actions and take full responsibility," he said in part. "I know these words may not mean much right now but I am deeply sorry to everyone I have let down."

Phelps is the most decorated Olympic athlete in history with 22 medals: 18 gold, two silver and two bronze. He won an unprecedented eight gold medals in eight events at the Beijing Games in 2008, and returned to win four more golds at the London Games in 2012.

The swimmer said after the London Games that he was finished with competitive swimming. But he recently returned to the pool, competing in significant championship events this summer. He has not yet confirmed his plans for the Summer Games in Rio in 2016.

Phelps has been charged with DUI previously. In November 2004, he was stopped by state troopers in Salisbury, Maryland, after failing to stop for a stop sign. He was 19 at the time.

In that case, Phelps pleaded guilty to driving while impaired. He was fined $250 and was ordered to serve 18 months probation.

During an interview with Matt Lauer on "Today," Phelps called the event an isolated incident and said he had "let myself down and my family down... I think I let a lot of people in the country down."

Phelps faced further controversy when a photograph surfaced in February 2009 showing him with a water pipe used to smoke tobacco or marijuana.

Phelps publicly apologized and admitted that the image, taken at a student party at the University of South Carolina, was authentic. The brouhaha surrounding the photo resulted in the swimmer losing Kellogg's as a sponsor and a three-month suspension from USA Swimming.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC Connecticut

Photo Credit: Getty Images
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live