Channel: NBC Connecticut
Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

20-Year-Old Shot in Bridgeport


Police are investigating after a 20-year-old man was shot Friday night in Bridgeport.

The victim suffered non-life threatening injuries and was taken to Bridgeport Hospital for treatment. Police said a bullet struck him in the area of 84 Remington Street around 8:30 p.m.

It's not clear if the victim knew his attacker. Police said the suspect is believed to have fled the scene on foot.

Bridgeport detectives are interviewing witnesses.

Authorities have not released any additional information.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Teacher On Leave Over Ebola Fears


An elementary school teacher in Strong, Maine was placed on paid leave over Ebola fears after a trip to Dallas--even though there is no indication the teacher came into contact with anyone infected with the virus.

The school district posted a statement on its website indicating that parents had expressed concern about their children possibly contracting the virus from the teacher, who had recently traveled to Dallas. There have been three confirmed Ebola cases in the Texas city since Sept. 30, though the teacher, who was not identified, is not believed to have come into contact with anyone who has been infected or exposed to the virus, the district's statement said.

Still, "after several discussions with the staff member and out of an abundance of caution," the district decided to place the teacher on leave for 21 days--the amount of time health experts say it takes for possible symptoms to show. 

Locals had mixed opinions about the district's decision.

"They didn't want her to come back with it," said Strong resident Roscoe Libby. "They did the right thing."

Fellow resident Sue Kennedy disagreed. "She should be able to teach and go back to school...she wasn't in contact with anybody who might have had it," she said.

Dr. Gene Beresin, Executive Director of The Clay Center for Young Healthy Minds, and a psychiatrist at Mass General and Harvard Medical School, says while over-precautions, like those taken by the Maine school district may only serve to breed fear, they reflect normal instincts.

“The first response is typically hysterical and catastrophic thinking," said Dr. Beresin. "Our brains just get tweaked because we’re afraid of dying, we’re afraid of contagion, we’re afraid of the unknown.”

Dr. Beresin says once we overcome that initial feeling of panic, it helps to focus on the facts and become educated about the disease. And he says that it starts with people in powerful positions, like community leaders, health care workers and even parents.

“Parents have to curb their own anxiety and hysteria because, it’s contagious," said Dr. Beresin. "It’s more contagious than Ebola.”

Daycare Worker "Really Hurt Me": 5-Year-Old


A 25-year-old Manchester daycare worker has been arrested after physically abusing a 5-year-old and 1-year-old girl in her care, according to police.

According to police, Devan Vanover, of Willimantic, yelled in the 5-year-old's ear and grabbed her face at the ABC Daycare on Hartford Road, leaving a red mark in an incident that a colleague captured on video Aug. 14. Police said Vanover's mother owns the facility.

Police said Vanover has recently completed drug rehab and has a history of drug abuse, as well as a "lengthy history" with the Department of Children and Families.

Her coworker told police Vanover regularly smokes e-cigarettes in the daycare and has abused the 5-year-old in the past. She also took a photo of a red mark on the child's jawline that resembled a fingerprint, according to police.

The video shows Vanover yelling in the child's face, ordering her to stop crying. The 5-year-old told police she was awake during nap time and started crying because someone had taken a blanket from her.

Vanover is seen grabbing the child's face. Police said the girl demonstrated to officers how Vanover held her chin and cheek.

"She really hurt me when she holded my face," the 5-year-old said to police, adding that she couldn't breathe when Vanover grabbed her. "She was kinda choking me or something."

The girl told police Vanover brought her into the daycare's infant room after she started to cry and yelled "real, real loud" in her ear, making her ear "tickle." She said Vanover had promised to let her draw if she calmed down, but retracted the promise after the girl stopped crying.

Vanover initially denied having physical contact with the girl, but when police told her the incident was caught on camera, she admitted to "holding her" and said she put one hand to the girl's cheek and another on her shoulder, according to police.

"I got close to her and told her that she could have her blanket when she was done crying," Vanover told police, according to the arrest warrant. Vanover said she had to raise her voice because the child was crying loudly.

She told police she had had a rough day because a 4-year-old had been calling her names. According to the warrant, Vanover said she realizes she mishandled the situation and that she was trying to be helpful but "it went the wrong way."

The 5-year-old told her mother Vanover had injured her before. According to police, the girl's mom noticed a bruise on her arm a couple weeks prior. When asked, the child told her mother a daycare worker had hurt her wrist, but that it was a "secret" and she couldn't remember the details.

"My heart is broken," said Marc Needelman, an attorney representing the 5-year-old's mother. "This coworker reported the matter to the police and my client and I were very thankful that she did the right thing."

Vanover is also accused of forcing a pacifier into the mouth of a 1-year-old girl who was crying and fussy that same day. Her coworker told police the incidents happened 20 minutes apart, according to the warrant.

Vanover's coworker told police Vanover tried to feed the baby yogurt in her high chair but the child refused to eat. Vanover then picked her up, cradled her and began to "aggressively rock" the baby, then jammed a pacifier into her mouth, the warrant says.

A few minutes later, she placed the baby on her stomach in a crib, then noticed blood around the child's mouth, police said.

The baby's mother later took her to a pediatrician, who found a vertical cut on the child's gums caused by "blunt force trauma," as well as a scratch on her right forearm and small cut behind her left year, according to the warrant.

Vanover told police the baby had been flailing in her arms and could have been cut when she moved her head around. The child's mother said Vanover initially told her the baby had fallen with a pacifier in her mouth, but told police a spoon had hit the child's gums, police said.

Sharon Vanover, Devan's mother, who owns the daycare, previously owned a child care center in Tolland where Devan Vanover worked.

According to police, authorities investigated Children's World Daycare in November 2009 after receiving a Department of Children and Families report that Devan Vanover was working there while enrolled in a drug rehab program.

Devan Vanover was terminated at the time of the investigation, her mother told police.

Sharon Vanover was told she needed to submit fingerprints and a DCF background check on her daughter before rehiring her, but that was never done before Devan Vanover began working at the Manchester facility in early August, the arrest warrant says.

Devan Vanover has been charged with third-degree assault, two counts of risk of injury to a minor and two counts of disorderly conduct.

She's being held on $45,000 bond and is expected back in court Nov 19.

ABC Daycare declined to comment on the case.

Photo Credit: Cellphone Video

Therapy Dog Walk-a-Thon Benefits Charity for Sandy Hook Victim


Therapy dogs are there to help people in need and on Saturday their work was celebrated in a walk-a-thon to benefit the charity honoring one of the Sandy Hook tragedy victims.

The second annual Charlotte's Litter Therapy Comfort Dog Walk-A-Thon in West Haven was held in memory of first grader Charlotte Bacon, who was one of 20 children and six educators killed in the shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School two years ago.

Charlotte loved dogs and her friends and family said that dogs brought them a lot of comfort after losing her, so that sparked the idea for the walk-a-thon.

At the walk-a-thon, people and their canine friends walked along the beach and through West Haven to raise money to fund therapy dogs for schools and people in need.

The walk-a-thon stepped off at Sea Bluff Beach, at the site of a playground in Charlotte's honor, at 10:30 a.m.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

University of New Haven Students Clean Up the Neighborhood


University of New Haven students stepped off campus Saturday and into the Allingtown section of West Haven to pick up trash.

Although they live here, students admit they don’t interact with the neighborhood and it was the perfect chance to change that.

“I like to give back to the community especially because I live here now and these are my neighbors essentially,” said Alexandra Chueiri, a student volunteer.

More than 100 students from different clubs and organizations on campus came out to help.

It’s an effort to clean up streets before winter hits.

“We want to give back to the community. We feel good we love doing this. We actually pretty much volunteer every weekend, so we love doing stuff like this,” Joshua Rodriguez said.

Duncan Family's Quarantine Near End


The first group of people exposed to Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person to die from Ebola in the United States, will no longer be considered at risk for the Ebola virus at 12 a.m. Monday.

After three weeks of isolation or self-monitoring, 47 people -- including Duncan's fiancee Louise Troh, her 13-year-old son and two nephews --- will be cleared and allowed to go on with their lives.

Louise Troh's pastor tells NBC 5, while in quarantine the family has heard all the concerns about them and speculation about what they may have known about Duncan's condition.

Since being placed under quarantine, Troh and her family haven't really been able to address any of the public's concerns.

Wilshire Baptist Church Pastor Mark Wingfield says they've heard people blame them for the Ebola situation in Dallas, but say Duncan would never have knowingly come to the U.S. from Liberia risking the spread of infection or knowing he was infected.

"They got caught in this situation unbeknownst to them and it's not that they've done anything wrong and it's very hard to understand when you're in their shoes, why anyone out there would try to place blame on them or on Eric, who they firmly believe did not know he was infected," said Wingfield.

Wingfield told NBC 5 his real concern is for the family's safety.

"We are working feverishly to come up with an appropriate plan to assist them in coming out of quarantine and having a place to go and being secure and safe in getting somewhere and trying to find a way to reestablish their lives even though certainly things have dramatically changed," he said.

Wingfield says the family just wants to mourn their loss and find a place where they can resume their lives in peace.

"Due to the isolation and the quarantine, you have all these family members and a close network here of folks who just have not had proper time to grieve this loss," said Wingfield. "And then on top of it, they've been subjected to this trauma of this international crisis that they find themselves in the middle of, so it's certainly insult to injury."

Two nurses who treated Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital before his death on Oct. 8 are now being treated for Ebola.

Inheritance Dispute May Have Sparked Arson Incident


An inheritance dispute may have led a former state trooper to burn down his brother's house in the Higganum village of Haddam on Thursday, police said.

Ronald Carlson, 50, of Portsmouth, Virginia is facing charges after admitting to setting a fire at his brother, Thomas Carlson's 575 Candlewood Hill Road home, police said. A fight over inheritance may have been the motive.

He confessed to police that he used gasoline to torch the house and his brother, Thomas wasn't home at the time of the blaze that destroyed his house, police said.

A Go Fund Me account that Haddam First Selectwoman Melissa Schlag set up for Thomas Carlson has raised $1,000 to help him get back on his feet.

Police charged Ronald Carlson with first-degree arson and third-degree burglary.

Car Crashes Into Hardware Store


A car crashed into a hardware store in Wallingford late Saturday morning.

The vehicle struck the front of a True Value on 124 North Colony Street in Wallingford at about 11 a.m. and crashed through the building, Wallingford police said.

No one was injured.

The crash site took about an hour to clear.

Photo Credit: Submitted Photo

Life Star Called to Granby State Forest


Life Star has been called to Enders State Forest in Granby, where a mission is underway to rescue a male who fell.

Crews have reached the man and are working to rescue him. Enders State Forest is off of Route 219 (Barkhamsted Road.

Granby police and firefighters are on scene and Life Star has been called.

It is unclear what part of the forest the rescue is taking place in or whether the man was with anyone else when he fell.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Police Arrest Serial Burglary Suspect


Police have arrested a suspected serial burglar who targeted several homes and cars the past few months in the Tariffville section of Simsbury.

Gregoire Girard, 22, of Tariffville, is facing multiple burglary charges after police arrested him Oct. 15 on nine warrants.

Multiple burglaries and thefts from homes, garages, sheds and a car happened between July and September in the area of Main Street and 1 Deerpark Road in the Tariffville portion of Simsbury, police said.

Police recovered stolen property and evidence in their investigation. Suffield police assisted with the investigation, finding some of the stolen items in Suffield.

Girard was in state judicial marshals' custody when the warrants were served.

Photo Credit: Simsbury Police Department

Patient With Ebola-Like Symptoms Released


The UConn Health Center treated and released a patient with potential Ebola symptoms Friday night after determining that the person wasn't at risk of having the virus.

The patient was brought into the John Dempsey hospital emergency room in Farmington at about 7:10 p.m. on Friday and hospital staff followed protocols the health center has in place to follow in the event of treating a patient who possibly has Ebola.  The protocol was called off less than an hour later after it was determined that the patient didn't meet the risk criteria for Ebola.

The patient has since been released.

Caregivers wore personal protective outfits, which Chris Defrancesco, a spokesperson for UConn Health Center, is more necessary for care workers than the general public to wear under the circumstances because they deal with bodily fluids while caring for a patient.

No hazmat crew was called to the hospital because decontamination procedures were not needed.

The Ebola protocols were followed as a precaution. The health center has a plan in place to "detect, treat, and respond" to potential cases of Ebola and has a team of experts collaborating with the Connecticut Hospital Association, Department of Public Health , the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the United States Department of Health and Human Services "to ensure the most up-to-date care for patients and the safety of Connecticut residents," according to a statement on the UConn Health Center's website.

UConn advises contacting your primary care doctor or local emergency department if:

  • You or family traveled to an Ebola-affected area like Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone in West Africa.
  • You were in contact with someone who has Ebola.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

30 Injured in Chaos at Pumpkin Fest


Riot crews were out in full force twice Saturday during a pumpkin festival near Keene State College in New Hampshire after an afternoon party got out of control and raucous crowds returned at night.

In the afternoon incident, at least 30 people were injured near Keene State College. Twenty people were transported to hospitals, according to Keene Fire Chief Mark Howard, who said that injuries appeared to be minor at this time.

At that same time, there had been about 12 arrests.

Just before 10 p.m., fires were lit and police unloaded tear gas into another crowd that gathered.

Nashua Police was called in to assist Keene Police. Their Special Response Team has been activated.

Most of the injuries during the day were caused by people getting hit by objects, including bottles.

The incident took place around 2:30 p.m. at a party near the intersection of Winchester Court and Winchester Street, adjacent to the school's campus.

A large police and fire presence remained at the scene through the afternoon. The city, which already had four times the ordinary number of first responders on for the event, had to call in even more reinforcements.

"We have several resources here, but yes, it was well beyond a normal response," said Howard.

Bystanders describe the chaos as police tried to control the unruly crowd.

"They just started walking on the street, with, like, mace, tear gas and these rubber bullets," said one witness.

"I think this year, it was not as bad as last year, but I think the police are being much more aggressive," said another. "I think the pepper spray was a little much - rubber bullets were a little much.

Howard says officials are looking out for the safety of the community and will remain in the area all night.

"I was in Keene this afternoon and met with our public safety officials and visited the medical tent and other volunteers," wrote Gov. Maggie Hassan in a statement. "We will continue to monitor the situation and provide any assistance necessary to Keene."

According to the school, the large number of visitors to the Pumpkin Festival contributed to the incident.

"One large assembly on Winchester Street drew multiple responses from Keene Police on Saturday afternoon. The college is not able to report on injuries or arrests," said Keene State College in a statement. "These incidents do involve Keene State students, and also visitors to Keene."

The school added that it is communicating with current students and their parents.

"I am saddened and disheartened at the events surrounding this year's Keene Pumpkin Festival," said Keene State College President Anne Huot in a statement Saturday night. "Despite the concerted efforts of organizers, city officials, police, and Keene State College, there continued to be disruptive behavior at parties in multiple locations around the city, injuries, and property damage."

Huot said that the school intends to hold the students who "played a part in this behavior."

"This is an issue that we can only solve together and we, at Keene State College, are eager to renew in earnest the conversation that leads to meaningful change," she said.

According to Keene State College, off-campus incidents occurred Friday but subsided overnight.

NECN will have more as this story develops.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

New Britain Man Arrested in Stabbing: Cops


New Britain police have arrested a 56-year-old man charged with stabbing a man while they were both volunteering at an event.

Police say they responded to 50 East Main St. around 4 p.m. after receiving several 911 calls reporting a man was bleeding heavily. When they arrived they found a man suffering from stab wounds. They rendered assistance until emergency medical services arrived and transported the victim to an area trauma center. The victim’s condition is unclear at this time.

Meanwhile, one of the 911 callers followed the suspect and provided public safety dispatchers with a description and information on his location. Dispatchers were then able to direct additional officers to the suspect, and he was taken into custody.

The suspect is identified as Darryl Cousin, of Spring Street in New Britain. He was found carrying a knife believed to be the weapon during the incident.

Police stress that this was not a random incident – Police say Cousin and the victim were known to each other and that they were reportedly having a disagreement that became physical. According to reports to police, the victim brandished mace just before Cousin produced a knife and stabbed him multiple times.

Cousin is charged with criminal attempt to commit murder, first-degree assault and breach of peace. He is being held on a $750,000 bond pending his arraignment at New Britain court.

Police are still investigating and anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to call Detective Ray Grzegorzek at 860-826-3139, or the Community Tip Line at (860) 826-3199.

Photo Credit: New Britain Police Department

Man Killed by Flying Tow Hook


A Delaware man is dead after he was impaled by a tow hook that crashed through the windshield of a tractor trailer.

On Saturday around 8:45 a.m., George Lynam Jr., 66, of Middletown, Delaware was behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer fully loaded with corn that was stuck in a muddy field on the north side of Marl Pit Road in Middletown.

Robert Baker, 64, of Odessa, tried to tow the tractor-trailer out of the mud by using a farm tractor attached to a grain hopper.

As the tractor trailer was being pulled from the muddy field, the tow hook broke loose off the back of the grain hopper and was propelled through the driver’s side window, striking Lynam in the upper torso.

Lynam was taken to the Christiana Hospital Trauma Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Baker wasn’t hurt during the incident.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Owner Sold Heroin out of Store: PD


A New Jersey grocery store owner was arrested for allegedly selling heroin out of his business.

State Police raided the Stop and Save Market on Main Street in Pleasantville, New Jersey Friday afternoon. Authorities told NBC10 they began investigating the store about three weeks ago. Using drug-sniffing dogs, police found 400 bags of heroin and a large amount of cash, according to investigators.

“It was an open-air narcotic market going on from inside the store,” said Pleasantville Police Captain Rocky Melendez. “He wasn’t really concealing the fact that it was right over the counter.”

The store’s owner, 29-year-old Kamran Khalid, was arrested and charged with possession and distribution within a school zone and other related offenses, according to police.

“I was over there last week getting some items for dinner and I had no idea that that was going on,” said James Owens of Pleasantville.

Pleasantville is in the process of revitalizing and cleaning up its downtown area. Officials told NBC10 they conducted the heroin bust in the middle of the day in order to send a message.

“This is about show and tell,” said Pleasantville Mayor Jesse Tweedle, Sr. “We show better than we tell. Now they see that we’re for real.”

The Stop and Save Market was shut down and the city plans to revoke its business license.

Photo Credit: NBC10.com

Remains Found in Search for Student


Authorities investigating the disappearance of a University of Virginia student are searching a rural area where human remains were discovered.

Investigators also interviewed residents in the area Sunday, and forensic teams combed the sides of a road for several miles past the site.

It was not immediately known what they were looking for.

Virginia police said Saturday that human remains have been found during the search for Hannah Graham, the University of Virginia student who has been missing for more than a month.

Volunteer searchers discovered the unidentified body at about noon Saturday in an "abandoned property" along Old Lynchburg Road in the Walnut Creek Park area of Albemarle County, authorities said at a Saturday evening press conference.

Charlottesville Police Chief Tim Longo said the remains would be taken to the office of Virginia's Chief Medical Examiner for forensic testing and identification.

Longo said Graham's parents had been notified of the discovery. He said volunteers working with Chesterfield County sheriff’s deputies were searching the property on Old Lynchburg Road when they discovered the remains.

Albemarle County Police Chief Steve Sellers said, “This, sadly, is now a death investigation. We will not jump to any conclusions after today’s discovery.”

In September, police charged 32-year-old Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr. with abduction with intent to defile in Graham's disappearance. His attorney, Jim Camblos, issued a statement late Saturday night.

"I understand the search teams found remains on an abandoned farm in Albemarle County. We are waiting to see the results of the medical examiners autopsy. No further comment."

Albemarle County Police now are asking anyone who saw suspicious activity or suspicious vehicles near Old Lynchburg Road to contact them at 434-296-5807. Neighbors in the area said they had been smelling a foul odor a few days ago.

Emergency management officials, meanwhile, canceled Sunday's planned search for Graham. Hundreds of volunteers have joined Charlottesville, Albemarle County and state authorities for a series of searches since Graham disappeared.

The scene where the remains were found is about five miles from where searchers in 2009 found the body of Morgan Harrington, a student from Virginia Tech in Blacksburg who had gone missing after a concert in Charlottesville.

Virginia state police have said there was a "forensic link" between Graham's disappearance and Harrington's murder.

Graham was reported missing on September 12 after a night with friends. She was last seen on surveillance video in Charlottesville’s downtown mall in the early morning hours of September 13.

The surveillance video shows a man police identified as Matthew wrapping his arm around Graham. He is also accused of buying the 18-year-old woman alcohol.

Two weeks after Graham's disappearance, Matthew -- a hospital worker and former taxi driver -- was arrested in Texas. He has been extradited to Virginia, where he is in custody.

Matthew is not due for a court appearance in the case until December. Investigators believe Matthew acted alone and did not know Graham before her disappearance.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk Draws Thousands


Thousands of people from across Connecticut are coming together Sunday to help out with the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in Hartford.

NBC Connecticut is partners in a caring community with the American Cancer Society, the event organizer. The 5K walk raises money for research and making early detection screenings available to all women.

Thousands of breast cancer survivors and supporters are in Hartford to walk around Bushnell Park in Hartford for the event.

The American Cancer Society has hosted the breast cancer walks since 1993 , with 10 million walkers from almost 300 communities walking to raise a collective total of $594 million in that time  to raise awareness and funds to battle breast cancer.

So far 411 teams and 2,970 participants registered have raised about $187, 863 for the Hartford walk, according to the event website.

About 232,670 women in the U.S. will likely be diagnosed with breast cancer this year and an estimated "40,000 will die from the disease," according to the American Cancer Society.

The Hartford walk stepped off at 9 a.m. There are also three other walks in New Haven, Waterbury and Westport scheduled for Sunday.

 More information is available on the American Cancer Society website.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Decision 2014: The NBC Connecticut Debate Preview


One this week's episode of NBC Connecticut's "Decision 2014," we preview the upcoming NBC Connecticut Gubernatorial Forum.

Moderator of the debate Gerry Brooks discusses what to expect with Max Reiss and Associated Press reporter Susan Haigh. Reiss and Haigh will serve as panelists.

  • Watch: Gerry Brooks, Max Reiss and AP Reporter Susan Haigh analyze the gubernatorial campaigns and what to expect at Thursday's NBC Connecticut debate.

Gov. Dan Malloy, GOP candidate Tom Foley and unaffiliated petitioning candidate Joe Visconti are invited to take part in the one hour debate schedule to air live on NBC Connecticut at 7 p.m. on Thursday.

Also on this week's show, write-in candidate for governor Jonathan Pelto breaks down the New London debate.

  • Watch: Write in candidate for governor and former State Rep. Jonathan Pelto sits down with George Colli to talk about the race for governor.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal talks with Todd Piro about what measures are being taken to prepare Connecticut residents for a potential Ebola outbreak.

  • Watch: Sen. Richard Blumenthal talks with Todd Piro about how the state is preparing for a potential Ebola outbreak.

"Decision 2014" airs Sundays at 10 a.m. on NBC Connecticut.

Photo Credit: NBC Connecticut

Rollover Crash Results in Minor Injuries


Emergency crews are at the scene of a rollover crash in South Windsor on Interstate 91 South.

A vehicle crashed just north of exit 34 on the highway, causing minor injuries. People are being treated at the scene.

DOT traffic cameras showed a pick-up truck on the grass off the shoulder of the highway just before 11 a.m., but state police have not confirmed the make and model of the vehicle involved. It's unclear how many people were injured.

The right lane is closed near the crash site where the emergency vehicles are. An ambulance is on scene.

More information will be provided when it becomes available.

Photo Credit: DOT

Pedestrian, 39, Critically Injured in Crash


A 39-year-old pedestrian is in critical condition after she was hit by a car in Norwich on Saturday night.

Norwich police and fire departments and an American Ambulance responded to the area of 724 Boswell Avenue at 7:26 p.m. on Saturday to investigate reports of a car crash involving a pedestrian, police said.

A 39-year-old was seriously injured after a car traveling southbound on Boswell Avenue struck her, police said. She was treated at the scene and an ambulance took her the William W. Backus Hospital. A Life Star helicopter flew her from there to Hartford Hospital for treatment and she is currently listed there in critical condition.

The driver of the car was not injured.

Norwich Police Department's accident reconstruction team also responded and is investigating the accident.

No charges have been filed at this time and police are not releasing more information at this time. Police have not disclosed the name of the pedestrian injured or the driver. The cause of the accident is unknown at this time.

Police as anyone who witnessed the crash to contact Officers Thomas Lazzaro or Andre Rosedale at 860-866-5561, extension 6.

Check back for updates.

Viewing all 57608 articles
Browse latest View live

Latest Images