NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

LifeStar Airlifts Person to Hospital After Granby Crash


LifeStar airlifted one person to the hospital Sunday after a two-car crash that has shut down Route 20 at Day Street.

The person was flown to Hartford Hospital and their condition is unknown.

The call came in at about 4:15 p.m.

Traffic on Route 20 is being detoured from Simsbury Road to Barndoor Hills in the eastbound direction and Barndoor Hills to Simsbury Road in the westbound direction, according to Granby police on Twitter.

No further information was immediately available.

Car Crash in Woodbridge


Woodbridge police are on scene at a crash near the Rimmon and Johnson roads intersection.

The call came in at 5:37 p.m. Sunday.

Further information wasn't immediately available.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Four Dead in Florida Plane Crash


Four people have died after a plane crashed in Florida near the Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport Sunday afternoon, according to Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Piper PA-31 aircraft had taken off from Orlando Executive Airport and was attempting to land at the airport in the 2200 block of West Cypress Creek Road around 4:30 p.m. when it experienced problems. It was unclear what kind of problems the pilot had.

Witnesses saw the plane coming in for a landing and said they knew something was wrong.

"It sounded low, it looked low," Bobby Bemis said. "It nosedived right into the floor. It sounded like a semi truck hit a wall, it was so loud."

"It was a large aftermath and loud explosion, a big fireball," Bavon Sylvain said. "From what we saw, with the fireball, you could tell immediately that whoever was on that plane unfortunately passed away."

Fort Lauderdale Police confirmed that the four people on-board died in the crash.

Rescue crews responding to the scene said the plane crashed in a wooded area, and responders had difficulty arriving to the scene.

The FAA released a statement, saying in part, "A Piper PA-31 aircraft that was inbound to Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport crashed into a nature preserve near the airport at 4:30 pm after declaring an emergency. Four persons were on board. Check with local authorities who will release their names and conditions. The airport is open, but Runway 13 is closed due to it's proximity to the accident site."

The NTSB is investigating the crash.

Photo Credit: Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue

Crews Respond to Torrington Structure Fire


Crews responded to a structure fire in Torrington Sunday night.

Emergency dispatchers confirmed the fire department was on scene at 122 Winsted Road. More details were not immediately available.

Check back for updates.


Photo Credit: File Photo

Minor Earthquake Strikes LA


A 3.5-magnitude earthquake struck the Baldwin Hills area Sunday night, hours after a 2.5-magnitude temblor jolted the same area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Los Angeles Fire Department said it went into "earthquake mode" following the stronger of the two tremors, meaning fire crews from all 106 fire stations fanned out to check their areas. No damage or injuries were found, fire officials said.

The latest quake struck at 9:17 p.m. about a mile southeast of Baldwin Hills, the USGS reported.

Earlier Sunday at 4:35 p.m., the same area was hit by a 2.5-magnitude quake, the USGS said. The quake was initially reported as a 2.9, but the agency later downgraded the magnitude to 2.5.

USGS Seismologist Dr.  Lucy Jones said both earthquakes originated from the same fault. 

"I felt a big jerk and it sounded like it had a roar to it," said a woman at a gas station."It was a big jolt, like we were going to have another one behind it."

Jones said more than 4,000 people had reported feeling the 3.5-magnitude quake on the USGS website.

NBC4 Twitter followers reported feeling the shaking produced by the earlier quake in Santa Monica, Inglewood, Culver City and downtown Los Angeles. Some described the tremor as one sharp, quick jolt.

NBC4's Gadi Schwartz contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: U.S. Geological Survey

State Police Make Arrest in Lebanon Homicide


State police have arrested a man accused of a homicide in Lebanon Sunday.

After receiving a 911 call from a Ledge Road home at about 4:30 a.m., state police responded and found a man with life-threatening injuries.

Emergency medical personnel later pronounced him dead at the scene. State police aren't releasing his name until his family is notified.

The Eastern District Major Crime division is assisting with the investigation.

Police arrested 31-year-old Alan Nadeau, of Lebanon, Sunday evening. He is charged with murder and being held on $1 million bond. He is expected in court on Monday.

State police said the incident appears to be isolated and that the public is not in danger.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hartford Brimming with UConn Huskies Pride


March Madness may be over, but UConn's celebration has not after winning their third straight national title and 10th NCAA championship.

Hartford was brimming with Huskies pride as thousands of fans lined the streets on a sunny Sunday afternoon to watch the women's basketball team's victory parade pass through the capital city, followed by a rally.

“I’m feeling happy and I’m so excited to see the parade because I love music and basketball," Ma'Kayla Todd, of East Hartford," said.

UConn's championship win over Notre Dame in Tampa, Florida marks the 10th national title for the Huskies and the third one in a row.

“It couldn’t get any better, the girls, 10, 10. Love it!” Pat Barnett, of Canton, said.

UConn seniors said it's a great way to leave.

"“We just want to thank you guys for coming out today," UConn's Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis said. "We really appreciate that. The past four years your guys’ support has been great.”

The victory also means that Coach Geno Auriemma is tied for the most tournament wins. The crowd was hopeful more titles and parades are in the team's future.

“30 years ago no one ever thought this was possible and here we are standing here trying to tell you if we keep doing this the right way, you keep supporting our university the right way, nothing is impossible. We just proved it," Auriemma said.

Their fans were filled with enthusiasm and compliments.

"I love them all. I really do. I mean there’s not one better than the other. They’re just wonderful," Louise Berchulski, of Middletown, said.

City crews were up before the sun to get the parade route ready and put up National Championship banners. The parade started in front of the state capitol building, headed down Elm Street and looped around Bushnell Park before ending on Trumbull Street in front of the XL Center.

Head coach Geno Auriemma, U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Connecticut), U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Connecticut), Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman, players and Auriemma's grandson addressed the roaring crowd at the rally.

The parade featured high school marching bands, the UConn cheerleaders and band, and, of course, the women's basketball players and coaches. About 30 organizations are participated in the parade.

Several businesses in the Hartford Business Improvement District financed the festivities.

There was plenty of parking around the parade route. Uber is also offering two trips beginning and ending in downtown Hartford for up to $25 each way through its app between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. if you enter the code "connchamps."

The CTfastrak will also be running its usual Sunday schedule as another option for UConn fans to get to the parade without having to worry about parking. The 101 bus runs every 20 minutes and 102, 121 and 128 leave hourly. Click here for more information on the CTfastrak bus schedules.

Injuries in Indiana Megabus Crash


Nineteen people were reportedly injured when a Megabus crashed into a semi-truck near Edinburgh, Indiana, police said.

The crash happened early Monday morning in the southbound lanes of Interstate 65 near mile marker 83, according to Johnson County police. Indiana State Police said the Megabus was traveling southbound on I-65 near a construction zone when it rear-ended a semi, which then hit two other vehicles. 

Indiana State Police Captain Dave Bursten said 19 people were injured in the crash and were taken to various hospitals in Johnson County, Shelby County and Marion County.

All of the people were hurt were passengers on the Megabus. The injuries appeared to be non-life threatening, officials said. 

State police said two people were taken to Major Hospital in Shelby County, one person was taken to Indiana University Methodist Hospital, four people were transported to Columbus Regional Health Hospital and nine people were take to Johnson Memorial Hospital. 

One of the people injured in the crash was a minor, officials said. 

The bus was traveling from Chicago to Atlanta, said Sean Hughes, director of corporate affairs for Megabus.com.

"Safety is our number one priority and Megabus is fully cooperating with the authorities with their investigation into the incident," Hughes said in a statement.

Monday's crash is just the latest in a string of Megabus mishaps. One of the company's buses on December 30 rear-ended three cars that were stopped for another crash near Hammond. Ten days earlier, two dozen people were hurt in a crash involving a Megabus on the Indiana Toll Road near Hammond. On October 14, at least 18 people were injured when another Megabus flipped over in a crash on rain-slicked Interstate 65 near Greenwood, Indiana. And eight children and an adult were hurt when a Megabus collided with a day care van on Chicago's South Side last May.

An NBC 5 Investigates examination of federal records after the October crash indicated at the time that local authorities across the United States had investigated 16 Megabus accidents where a dozen people were injured throughout the previous two years. Still, the company notes, it has received favorable safety ratings from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Photo Credit: WTHR

NY Man Charged in Wrong-Way DUI Crash on I-84


A New York man who police said drove the wrong way on a Connecticut highway for 10 miles while under the influence on Sunday night was arrested after hitting a guardrail.

Kevin Schuttak, 45, of Binghamton, New York, was driving west on the eastbound side of Interstate 84 in Cheshire when state troopers stopped him at 11:08 p.m. near the exit 25 onramp to I-84 East, according to police report.

Police said he had driven the wrong way for about 10 miles before hitting a metal beam rail.

Schuttak was charged with operating a motor vehicle while under the influence, reckless endangerment in the first degree, evading and driving the wrong way.

Bond was set at $10,000, which Schuttak failed to post. He is due in Waterbury Superior Court on Monday for an arraignment hearing.

It's not clear if he has an attorney.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Naugatuck Man Killed in Shelton Crash


A 21-year-old Naugatuck man was killed in a one-car crash in Shelton early Sunday morning.

Police, firefighters and paramedics responded to the crash at Howe Avenue and Housatonic Rise around 12:30 a.m. and found Alexandre Grosso, 21, of Naugatuck.

Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Grosso’s vehicle was the only one involved in the crash and police said it appears he was traveling north on Howe Avenue and hit a tree and utility pole.

The Shelton Police Traffic Division Reconstruction Team is investigating.

No enforcement action has been taken at this time. Any witnesses or people with additional information should call the Shelton Police Traffic Division at (203) 924-1544.

This was the second fatal crash in Shelton in less than a week. A 20-year-old North Carolina man was killed in a crash on Route 8 on Monday, April 6.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Bill Honors Young Sandy Hook Victim


 U.S. Congress members will be announcing a bill on Monday to honor one of the first graders killed in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in 2012.

The bill, honoring Jesse Lewis, is meant to support student’s social and emotional needs

U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal introduced the legislation and will hold a news conference this morning, along with U.S. Senator Chris Murphy, Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty, the Lewis family, educators and advocates.

Jesse Lewis was among the 26 children and educators killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, 2012.

Jesse’s mother, Scarlett Lewis, has founded the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Foundation and has become an advocate for social and emotional learning.

The news conference will be held at 11 a.m. at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.

Photo Credit: AP

Branford Building Evacuated Over Odor of Gas


A building on East Main Street in Branford has been evacuated because of the odor of propane in the building, according to firefighters,

The fire department is responding.

No additional information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: NBC 7

Police Investigating Armed Robbery in Wallingford


Police are investigating an armed robbery at a Wallingford pizza shop at 8:43 p.m. on Sunday.

An employee of Primo’s Pizza told police that someone with a rifle demanded money and the employee ran to the back of the store, police said.

No shots were fired, no one was hurt and the robber left out the front door and fled in a vehicle.

It’s not clear if he made off with anything.

Detectives are investigating.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Almond Farmers are Stigmatized as CA Drought Continues


California almond growers are coming under scrutiny for their water use as the state's drought worsens.

Man Stole Cash, Equipment from Milford Transfer Station: Police


Milford police have arrested a man who is accused of stealing cash and landscaping equipment from the Milford Transfer Station last summer.

Police started investigating on Aug. 15 when they received a complaint of a burglary at the city’s transfer station at 831 Oronoque Road and determined that someone went into the building and stole money as well as a backpack leaf blower. It's not clear how much money was stolen.

Investigators identified Robert Johannesen, 32, of Shelton, as the suspect and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Johannesen was charged with third-degree burglary, sixth-degree larceny and second-degree criminal mischief.

Bond was set at $50,000.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Ballpark Construction Prompts Road Closures in Hartford


Hartford is alerting drivers of road closures in the city during construction on the new Downtown North development and ballpark.

Pleasant Street has four lanes during construction, two westbound n and two eastbound. One lane was recently closed to allow for construction of the north end of the ballpark.

Trumbull Street will be closed between Main Street and Market Street from the end of the day on April 20 until about Sept. 4 to realign it, according to city officials. That section of Trumbull Street will be redesigned to accommodate the new baseball stadium. (Note: This date changed from April 17.)

Windsor Street will close permanently between Pleasant and Trumbull streets. It will be used first as a construction staging area and will then be turned into the "Windsor Walk," which will include pedestrian and bicycle lanes.

Windsor Street, between Trumbull and Pleasant streets, will be closed to through traffic, but it will be accessible for emegency vehicles and public transportation through construction. 

The dates are subject to change because of weather.

Car Crashes into House in Cromwell


A driver crashed into a home in Cromwell on Monday morning, causing heavy damage to the residence.

Fire officials said the residents of 15 Nooks Hill Road were sleeping upstairs when a driver in a gray SUV hit the house around 12:30 a.m.

The residents got out of the house OK, but the driver suffered minor injuries and was taken to Hartford Hospital. Only one person was in the car, fire officials said.

The 911 call came in at 12:32 a.m. and police said the driver went onto the curb on the north side of the road, became airborne, hit a tree and landed on the front lawn, where the SUV again became airborne and hit the house.

When police arrived, they found the vehicle against the house and noted that there was a large hole in the residence from the crash.

The building inspector is assessing the structural integrity of the home, but it is thought to be uninhabitable.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Backups Build After Crash on I-84 East in West Hartford


Traffic is backed up on Interstate 84 East in Hartford after a crash in the area of exit 43. 
State police did not have much information and said state troopers just arrived, but traffic cameras show one car flipped over and a fire truck at the scene.
No additional information was immediately available.

Photo Credit: Connecticut DOT Traffic Cameras

Not an Easy Sell: How the Lincoln Memorial Came About


Lincoln Memorial, the Parthenon-inspired tribute to Abraham Lincoln, has become a symbol of America's democratic beliefs and principles since its dedication in 1922, drawing millions of visitors each year.

But the massive marble and granite structure honoring Lincoln, who is often referred to as the "Great Emancipator," took nearly 60 years to open. Although many opposed its design, over the year the memorial became a powerful backdrop for the Civil Rights movement and is even the center of urban legends.

"It's been abused and used for all sorts of political activities and it’s sort of become an American backdrop," said prolific Lincoln historian Harold Holzer.

This is a big year for those interested in Lincoln's legacy. April 15 marks 150 years since Lincoln's assassination, and there are dozens of events planned in the Washington, D.C., area to commemorate the infamous day. On March 7, a ceremony at the Lincoln Memorial marked the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's second inauguration.

Opposition to a 'Meaningless' Temple

The efforts to construct a memorial for the 16th president of the United States originated in 1867. But it was not until 1913 that New York architect Henry Bacon was approved by Congress to design it.

Bacon thought a man who defended democracy deserved a temple modeled after the Greek Parthenon, a structure from the birthplace of democracy. Bacon's long-time collaborator, Daniel Chester French, was chosen as sculptor for the Lincoln statue.

Not everyone was impressed with the design, though.

The principal opponent was anticlassical sculptor Gutzon Borglum, who complained to then House Speaker Joe Cannon that the country was about to spend $2 million on a "meaningless temple of three thousand years ago," historian Richard Wightman Fox wrote in "Lincoln’s Body: A Cultural History." The memorial ended up costing nearly $3 million.

According to Fox, renowned Chicago-based home designer George W. Maher thought the memorial should have "sculptured mono-liths" and "heroic bas-reliefs" depicting events in Lincoln's life.

"They wanted an 'American' monument," said Fox of the critics. "A lot of people thought, especially in the Midwest, that Bacon and French were part of an East Coast elite conspiracy to make Lincoln into this universal figure rather than a particularly American figure and they wanted a different kind of monument. They had some congressional support."

Lincoln's Role as Emancipator Played Down

Construction of the memorial began in 1914 and took eight years to finish. French started on the statue with a 3-foot-high version which then reached 10 feet. Bacon thought that was still too small. A new contract was signed, raising the statute to 19 feet, and doubling the government's cost for just the Lincoln statue from $45,000 to $88,000, Fox wrote.

The statue is flanked on both side chambers with inscriptions of Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address and the Gettysburg Address. According to Holzer, Lincoln’s role as the emancipator of slaves was played down significantly in the memorial to appease its planners. It didn't include the Emancipation Proclamation.

Bacon wanted to reinforce that union was the memorial’s overarching idea, and the main goal of Lincoln’s presidency. Shortly before the dedication, he had a five-line pronouncement carved into a wall behind the statue’s head, Fox said. The words were written by New York Tribune art critic Royal Cortissoz: "In this temple as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the union the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever."

The dedication ceremony in 1922 further minimized Lincoln’s legacy as an emancipator. President Warren Harding and Chief Justice William Howard Taft praised the memorial as "the living emblem of North-South reconciliation," Fox wrote, and organizers of the dedication censored the speech of the program’s invited black speaker, Robert Russa Moton, principal of the Tuskegee Institute.

The dedication itself was a segregated event. Holzer said the African-Americans who came to "see this dedication for the memorial for someone they cared about" were pushed to the back of the crowd. "It was a stain on that day," he added. 

Backdrop to Civil Rights Movement

Going forward, however, the memorial became a powerful backdrop for the Civil Rights movement, including Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream Speech."

The first event was in 1939 when a crowd of 75,000 fans, black and white, gathered at the memorial to listen to world-renowned African American contralto Marian Anderson. Eleanor Roosevelt arranged for  her to sing on the steps of the memorial after the Daughters of the American Revolution refused to let the singer perform in their Constitution Hall because she was black.

"It was one of the biggest crowds ever assembled to hear a musical event anywhere in the country," Holzer said.

Among the most memorable and symbolic moments at the memorial was President Barack Obama's star-studded inaugural celebration in 2008.

"Even Lincoln probably wouldn't never have predicted, foreseen or believed that it happened," Holzer said. "But there he was, first president of color for whom Lincoln was a hero."

Coded Messages in the Rock?

The memorial has been the subject of several urban tales over the years, none of which ring true, according to Holzer. Lincoln's hands are not making the American Sign Language signs for his initials. French used molds of Lincoln's hands cast in 1860 to guide his work while sculpting, Holzer explained. It's also a myth that General Robert E. Lee's face is carved into Lincoln's hair.

And Lincoln's bones are not under the memorial; he's buried in Springfield, Illinois. In 1876, grave robbers dragged Lincoln's coffin out it its tomb and were going to hold the body hostage to liberate one of their jailed comrades. They were arrested and "Lincoln's body was buried in 20 feet of cement so it could never be disturbed again," Holzer said.

Photo Credit: Cathy Rainone

Lebanon Murder Suspect Said He Attacked to Stop Abuse


A 31-year-old man charged with murder in Lebanon told police the victim had abused him and the only way to stop it was to attack the man and "get locked up," according to the arraignment report. 

Police said they received a 911 call from a Ledge Road home at about 4:30 a.m. on Sunday from someone who said a man had been stabbed. The witness told police she woke up when she heard screaming, then found a man on the floor. 

When police arrived at the home, they found a man face-down on the floor and noticed a lot of blood. He'd been stabbed in the neck and blood and emergency medical personnel pronounced the victim dead at the scene.

State police aren't releasing his name until his family is notified.  

They also noted that blood had been smeared on the living room walls. 

As police were responding to the home, Alan Nadeau, 31, of Lebanon, arrived in the lobby of State Police Troop K, holding a briefcase. He had a hand on his head and told police he'd been abused as a child.

When police asked Nadeau where the knife was, he said it was in the briefcase. When police opened the briefcase, they found a knife and a laptop computer, among other things. 

Nadeau told authorities he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and a "schizo-type disorder" and hadn't taken medication since last year, according to police. 

As police interviewed Nadeau, he said he was sitting next to his father's friend and started having "flashbacks" of abuse he suffered, so he went to the basement, grabbed a "bayonet" style weapon, stabbed the victim once, ran to his room, grabbed his computer and the knife, placed them in a bag, left in his 2014 Subaru and turn himself in to police.

Nadeau has been charged with murder and is being held on $1 million bond. 

State police said the incident appears to be isolated and that the public is not in danger.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com
Browsing All 57608 Articles Latest Live