Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Firefighters Help Extinguish Hunger


Half a dozen fire departments along the shoreline are helping to end hunger.

They held their fourth annual food drive from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday. The Old Saybrook Fire Department alone collected 1,775 pounds of food and $365 in cash donations. The totals for the other departments were not in by the time of publication.

People were encouraged to bring non-perishable items to a fire house in their town.

Participating departments include Old Saybrook, Westbrook, Clinton, Killingworth, Chester, and Nantic.

Last year, they collected 6,500 pounds in donations. This year, their goal is 10,000 pounds.

The fire houses will also collect checks for the Shoreline Soup Kitchens and Pantries. The organization has had to purchase food in the past to keep their shelves stocked.

Each week they distribute 17,000 pounds of food to 11 shoreline communities.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

U.S. Capitol Building on Lockdown


The U.S. Capitol Building was temporarily on lockdown after a man killed himself outside Saturday afternoon, NBC News reported.

A senior federal official said the man killed himself with a single shot, and that he did not have any identification. Police are now looking for the suspect’s car.

The incident took place in a public area around1 p.m. The man, who is not being identified, had a backpack and a roller case with him, which bomb technicians handled as suspicious packages, U.S. Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said at a press conference.

Dine added that at this time, there seems to be no connection to terrorism. The man did not have any other weapons with him aside from a gun but did have a sign with him about "social justice," according to the police chief. At this time, the exact language of that sign is unclear.

Police instructed staffers to shelter in place as a precautionary measure, though the shooter had been "neutralized." The lockdown was lifted just before 4 p.m., but the West Terrace area remains closed until further notice, according to Capitol Police.

A witness at the scene, Ramesh Nandi, said he and his wife were sitting on the steps of the Capitol, facing the Washington Monument when he saw a young man walk up.

"He took out a placard that said something like, 'Why don't you tax the 1/4?' or something like that. " Nandi said. " I was trying to read the placard."

Other witnesses said the sign said something about taxing the 1 percent, a possible reference to the Occupy Wall Street movement's "We are the 99%" slogan used during protests about the distribution of income and wealth.

Nandi said he heard a pop and saw the back of the man's head starting to get red.

"I grabbed my wife and said, 'Run! Run!' I thought it was a sniper, because I didn't see a gun in his hand."

Nandi and his wife hid behind a wall. He said the man did not speak before the incident.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Silver Alert: Missing Girl, 15, May Be In Boston Area


State police issued a Silver Alert Friday night for a 15-year-old East Granby girl they are calling an endangered runaway, who they say may have traveled to the Boston area.

Angelica Moquete, 15, was last seen Friday at about 7 a.m. and her parents reported her missing at 9:14 p.m.

State police said she may have gotten into a four-door grey or silver sedan. It's unknown who may be driving the car.

She is described as a Hispanic female who is 5-foot-6, 110 pounds and who has brown hair and brown eyes, state police said.

She was wearing a white hooded sweatshirt with an Eiffel Tower image and the word, Paris on it, rose-patterned black leggings and black boots when she was last seen, state police said.

State police ask anyone with information to call the Troop H barracks in Hartford at 860-534-1000 or East Granby's resident trooper's office at 860-653-5385.

Photo Credit: State Police

Fire Rips Through Three Homes in Milford


Milford firefighters responded to a heavy fire on Melba Street Saturday afternoon.

Constant breeze fanned flames that broke out at a three story house on stilts at 74 Melba Street Saturday afternoon, also spreading the blaze to the two houses on either side of it, according to Milford Fire Capt. Greg Carman. 70 and 76 Melba Street are located in close proximity to that house, where the initial  911 call for help came from at about 1:36 p.m. on Saturday. There was heavy fire damage when crews arrived and firefighters had to go into "defensive mode," Carman said.

“Our crews started to do an aggressive attack on the fire but with the winds we’re having today they just fanned it and spread to the adjacent homes," Carman said.

The fire department asked United Illuminating to de-energize the electricity circuit near the Melba Street fire at about 3:30 p.m., which knocked the power out to about 2,900 customers, according to Ed Crowder, a spokesperson for UI. That number was reduced to about 2,000 shortly after and the power company has since fully restored the power, he said.

A mother, father and son live at 74 Melba Street and the son was the only person home at the time of the fire, Carman said based on the preliminary investigation. The son got out safely, but the home has been deemed a total loss.

It's possible that one of the adjacent homes, 70 Melba Street, is also a total loss, Carman said. An elderly resident was home at the time and crews helped her out of the house. She was medically evaluated as a precaution.

The third home at 76 Melba Street sustained a lot of heat, smoke and water damage. No one was home during the blaze and it's unclear how many people lived there.

Photos and video submitted by Milford resident Mike Smith and shown on his Twitter page, @MikeSmithCT show heavy damage to the middle house of the three buildings, which appears gutted, and shows a partial collapse of the roof of the building.

Milford resident Maria Giaimo said that black smoke covered the sky and that "it was just devastating."

“When I heard that there were three houses involved I’m not surprised," Giaimo said. "The houses are so close together that when one house goes the other ones are going to go as well, unfortunately.”

Milford neighbor Peter Lumley said his thoughts are with the residents in those three homes damaged in the fire.

"This is our neighborhood. This is where we all live and my heart is going out for whoever, those three houses. My heart’s like broken," Lumley said.

The fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire, which is unknown at this time.

No one was injured.

At one point in the afternoon, 2,026 Milford United Illuminating customers were without power, but it's unclear if the outages are connected to the fire. All power was restored by 4:17 p.m., according to the power company's outage map.

Melba Street was still shut down as of 5:45 p.m.

Photo Credit: @MikeSmithCT

Six Displaced After Waterbury Fire


 Six people were displaced after a house fire at a three-family home in Waterbury Saturday evening.

Waterbury firefighters responded to a fire at 107 Orange Street around 4:57 p.m. Saturday, according to fire officials. Upon arrival they found heavy fire showing from the structure. Fire officials say the windy weather made it more difficult to control the flames. The blaze reached two alarms before firefighters were able to contain it.

Fire officials say one person was transported to the hospital for minor injuries. Everyone else in the home made it out safely and there were no injuries to firefighters.

Four adults and two children have been displaced. The Red Cross was called in to assist displaced residents.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Boaters Rescued After Capsizing on Thames River


Two boaters were rescued after a sailboat capsized on the Thames River in Ledyard Saturday afternoon near the Harvard Boat House, according to Ledyard firefighters.

Both boaters were rescued from the water after being stuck there for 20 to 30 minutes and treated for hypothermia on the shore, Ledyard fire Company District 1 tweeted.

Ambulances from the U.S. Naval submarine base and Groton transported both people to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London. A security boat from the submarine base also responded quickly to the scene and the Old Mystic Fire Department dive team, Groton police boat and Norwich fire boat were initially sent out but then not needed, according to the fire department.

The identities of the boaters and their conditions are unknown.

Ledyard and Gales Ferry fire companies responded and have since cleared the scene.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Man Arrested in Sex Assault Involving Minor


Norwich police apprehended a man suspected of sexually assaulting an underage female in Baltic after an extensive search involving multiple agencies.

Police arrested Greg Butts, 44, of Baltic, in connection to a sexual assault reported on March 28.

After the Eastern District Major Crime Squad Detectives out of Troop E in Montville obtained a warrant for his arrest, Norwich police conducting routine patrols observed a black 2015 Mazda 5 with New York plates GPP4717 matching the suspect's vehicle description in the Holiday Inn parking lot in Norwich. Police kept the car under surveillance in the event the driver returned to the car. When he did at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, police identified him as the sex assault suspect and placed him under arrest.

Police charged him with two counts of first-degree sexual assault and two counts of risk of injury to a minor.

He was held in the custody of parole and probation and turned over to state troopers from the Troop E state police barracks in Montville for booking.

State police and parole officials all assisted with the search and apprehension of the suspect.

He is being held in custody in lieu of a $250,000 court-set bond and is scheduled to appear in Norwich Superior Court on Monday, April 13.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Connecticut Waters Open for Fishing Season


With trout season moved forward by a week this year due to new sport fishing regulations, anglers took to the water Saturday, April 11 for the opening day of fishing season.

"We are excited about the additional fishing opportunities provided to anglers with this change to an earlier Opening Day. This change provides an additional week of fishing opportunities for both resident and non-resident anglers targeting trout or fishing for other species such as largemouth and smallmouth bass found in trout waters," Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) Commissioner Robert Klee said in a statement. "Additionally, most of the state's school-age anglers will also now have the opportunity to fish for trout during their spring breaks, as Opening Day will now come at the beginning of that school vacation for most school systems in Connecticut."

Over 341,000 trout were expected to be stocked in 100 lakes and ponds and 190 rivers and streams in Connecticut for opening day, but DEEP said that cold temperatures, residual snow and ice have made stocking a challenge.

"Stocking well over three hundred thousand fish prior to Opening Day is a monumental task in the best weather," Pete Aarrestad, Director of DEEP's Inland Fisheries Division, said in a statement. "Due to the prolonged winter freeze and morning temperatures in the single digits, trout stocking got off to an unprecedented slow start in late February and early March. In spite of significant weather related setbacks we still hope to stock most of the usual water bodies that have historically been done prior to Opening Day. Should some areas not get stocked, we will provide that information to anglers prior to Opening Day via both print and electronic media."

Anglers who are 16 to 17 years old can get fishing, hunting and trapping licenses for the year at half the price adults pay, according to DEEP.

Fishermen can get the latest information on places where trout are stocked on the state's fishing and wildlife Facebook page and can review fishing regulations in the 2015 CT Angler's guide available at over 350 sites in the state from town halls to bait and tackles shops. Electronic versions of the guide are also available on DEEP's website.  More fishing and vendor information is also available on DEEP's fishing page or by calling 860-424-3105.

Photo Credit: fimkaJane, Shutterstock

Boston Officer's Hospital Release


Boston Police Officer John T. Moynihan has been released from the hospital after he was shot in the face in late March, the Boston Police Department confirms.

According to the department, Moynihan's condition is best described as "serious but improving." Moynihan credits the quick reaction of the other officers on scene with saving his life.

"John and his family have been strengthened, humbled and inspired by the outpouring of love and support they've received - not only from his closest friends and fellow officers - but also from concerned citizens and strangers from all over the country wishing him a full and speedy recovery," the Boston Police Department added in a statement.

Moynihan, who was honored in 2013 for his role in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings, was conducting a traffic stop on March 27 in the city's Roxbury neighborhood when a man exited his vehicle and shot the officer under his right eye. Surveillance video of the incident was later released.

The suspect, later identified as Angelo West, was killed in a shootout with police.  

Photo Credit: Boston Police

"Miracle" Son Survived Shooting


The family calls the recovery a miracle after their 8-year-old son, Leo Bernal, is out of the hospital and in good spirits after being shot in the head five days ago while he slept.

A bullet pierced Leo's skull.

"My head kind of hurts right now, but I'm OK with it," he said.

His mother, Teresa Bernal, is grateful but traumatized.

"It's a miracle," she said. "They had to open up his skull. He has 23 staples."

On Sunday night an armed intruder entered the family home in Culver City and opened fire. The shooter has not been caught.

Leo was the only one hit.

"It was a matter of seconds, just bam! bam! bam!" ... 14 shots all pointed into my kid's room," his mother said.

Doctors at UCLA Ronald Reagan Children's Hospital released Leo Friday, saying he's well enough to go home.

But the family's afraid.

"Who wants to go back to that?" Teresa Bernal said. "It's like a nightmare. My son's been crying about going home. He doesn't want to go home. He's horrified."

The family has set up a gofundme account to help raise money for medical costs.

Eight Tornadoes Tore Through Ill.


A total of eight tornadoes tore through the state of Illinois on Thursday, causing varying degrees of damage.

On Saturday, the National Weather Service confirmed there were two tornadoes on northwest Illinois, four in the north central region of the state and two in central Illinois.

The strongest tornado was the one that touched down near Rochelle and ripped through Fairdale, leaving damaged homes and businesses in its wake. The National Weather Service categorized this tornado as an EF-4. 

The EF-4 carved a path through four different counties -- Lee, Ogle, DeKalb and Boone -- before it let up. Two people were killed in the storm and at least 22 others injured.

The other confirmed tornadoes were reported as EF-0 or EF-1, meaning they generated winds between 65 and 110 miles per hour. The tornado that touched down near Belvidere and killed two zoo animals was an EF-1.

The last time Illinois experienced an EF-4 tornado was Nov. 17, 2013, when two of them struck the community of Washington. Since 1950, there have been 33 recorded tornadoes of this strength, according to the National Weather Service.

Photo Credit: @mark_tarello / Twitter

7/11 Celebrates the Slurpee with Bring Your Own Cup Day


Slurpee fans can stop by 7/11 Saturday April 11 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. with their own cup to get a discounted Slurpee.

On Bring Your Own Cup Day, people can bring any kind of cup that is leak proof, clean, has definite shape and passes through the designated 10-inch cutout in stores. People can bring in creative containers to the Dallas based chain and receive a Slurpee for $1.49 per cup.

For more information, visit slurpee.com/byoc.

Photo Credit: 7-Eleven

Dog Finds Family After Tornado


A spark of hope visited a grieving Fairdale family Saturday afternoon in the form of a missing pet.

Missy, a white German shepherd, returned to her family after she went missing following the deadly tornado Thursday. The dog belonged to Fairdale resident Geraldine "Geri" Schultz, who died in the storm.

A ComEd crew member found Missy when he was riding in a truck and saw what he thought looked like a white shadow a field. The crew then called the police, who alerted the family. 

Still traumatized from the deadly storm, Missy initially fled from everyone. Tyler Rowan, Schultz's grandson, said the family chased the dog for 2.5 miles before they caught up with her. 

Schultz's husband, Clem Schultz, hasn't let go of the dog since, Rowan said. 

A Facebook page called "The Search for Missy" was created in the hopes of finding the dog. On Saturday afternoon the group posted a message saying Missy had been found and was reunited with Schultz's family.

As residents of the Fairdale and Rochelle communities return home to search for any belongings they can salvage, others frantically search for the pets they had to leave behind.

Another Facebook page called "Fairdale and Rochelle Illinois Pet Recovery" has been created to assist in the search. People can post pictures of their missing pets and help identify any strays they find wandering in the area.

People searching for their missing pets can also reach out to the National Disaster Animal Response and Recovery Teams (NDARRT) in DeKalb and surrounding areas.

Those who would like to foster animals who haven't found their families can contact Traci Ann at the Kirkland Fire Department.

Photo Credit: Schultz family

Beating Heard on Scanner: Atty


An attorney for a man beaten by sheriff's deputies after a pursuit in the San Bernardino County high desert said his office was searching for dispatch recordings after two women came forward saying they heard the takedown over police scanners.

The women said they heard what sounded like an open radio microphone and deputies talking to each other about kicking 30-year-old Francis Pusok as they attempted to take him into custody, attorney Jim Terrell claims.

"You can hear the dispatch saying, 'There's an open mic. There's an open mic,' warning officers what your words are saying are being recorded," Terrell told NBC4.

Terrell first described the audio as a recording, but later said the account was told to his investigator.

Terrell said his office plans to subpoena the dispatch recording as well as any audio from recorders the deputies were wearing the day of the incident.

The attorney visited Pusok at the West Valley Detention Center on Saturday afternoon to ensure that Pusok was receiving proper medical care for injuries to his head and back, including a gash on his head.

"His body is battered, there's bandages over his legs, his arms, his back," Terrell said.

During the visit, Terrell said Pusok recalled several moments from his arrest.

"He remembers that he was hit by a stun gun and the stun gun was definitely effective," the attorney said. "He put his hands behind his back. I think he said things like, 'Stop beating me.'"

The pursuit about 90 miles northeast of Los Angeles began after San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies attempted to serve a warrant at an Apple Valley home as part of an ID theft investigation. The suspect left the home and led deputies on a pursuit by car, then horseback.

Pusok fell from the horse in rough terrain. Aerial footage captured by NewsChopper4 showed deputies using a stun gun on Pusok, then punching and kicking him while he was face down.

Ten deputies were placed on paid administrative leave pending an internal investigation into the beating.

The FBI has also launched an investigation to determine whether civil rights were violated in the incident.

NBC4's Kate Larsen contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: KNBC

Store Owner Shot and Killed in Bridgeport


Bridgeport police are looking for the two people who they say walked into a neighborhood grocery store then shot and killed the popular owner.

His family and friends in the Portuguese community are mourning his death.

“I can’t believe it. Today, somebody killed my friend,” says Arminda Bereira, who works at Solmar restaurant.

Workers and customers at the Portuguese restaurant Solmar remembered the man who would deliver groceries here.

Police say the 58-year-old man, whose name they are not releasing yet, was shot Saturday afternoon at the store he owns, Sapiao’s Grocery Store.

On a sidewalk outside the store on Lexington Avenue, he was found by a regular customer, who asked for his identity to be hidden.

“I performed CPR and I did everything I possibly could,” says the customer.

But the owner did not survive.

Police say this could have been the result of a robbery gone bad. They report two people wearing hooded sweatshirts had entered the store, shot the owner, ran down Linen Avenue, and then jumped into a car.

This comes two and a half weeks after another Bridgeport store worker was shot and killed.

In the case at T. Market on Reservoir Avenue, police did not believe robbery was the motive.

Now, neighbors and friends in the Portuguese community say the owner of Sapiao’s had run the store with his wife for decades.

“I’m devastated. I’m devastated. I’ve known him for too many years. A lot of people, he was a great guy. I mean he would help anybody,” says Tony Jose of West Haven.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Hartford Shooting Victim Found Dead in Car


Hartford police are investigating after a 33-year-old man was shot in the head early Saturday morning, marking the seventh homicide in the capital city this year.

Police say that while they were responding to an unrelated robbery, a passerby flagged down an officer near 87 Benton St. to report that there was someone in a parked car who was unresponsive and needed their help.

When police arrived around 2:41 a.m., they found a man, 33, slumped over the driver's seat. Police say he was driving a rental car with New Jersey plates.

Police also discovered a bullet hole through the driver's side window and the man suffered from one gunshot wound to the head. Aetna Ambulance paramedics responded and pronounced him dead at 2:49 a.m.

A neighbor who lives next to the shooting site reported hearing shots fired around 2 a.m. and woke up to see Hartford police outside and yellow tape cordoning off the area.The tape has since been taken down.

Police are waiting for the medical examiner's office to examine the body and determined the cause of death, but are investigating the fatal shooting as a homicide.

The man is the second person killed on the street in less than a month. Another deadly shooting happened two blocks away on March 23. Many living or doing business in the area who spoke with NBC Connecticut said they were afraid to show their faces on camera.

"They've got too many dead already. I don't know. I don't understand," a person who wished to remain anonymous told NBC Connecticut.

Juan DeLeon owns a car dealership on the block called Gurabo Auto Sales and said that "any day that I'm here, I'm thinking what's gonna happen next."

“It’s getting difficult," DeLeon said. "I’ve been here eight years and right now it’s getting to the point where I want to get out of the business because we’re not safe here.”

Other business owners told NBC Connecticut off-camera that they have similar concerns.

There are no suspects at this time. Police said they believe they know the identity of the man killed, but they aren't releasing his name until they notify his family.

Police are interviewing witnesses to gather information on what led to the man's death.

The State Police Major Crimes Division is investigating.

Police Seek Robbers Who Shot, Killed Store Owner


Bridgeport police are looking for two armed men who they say robbed a store owner before shooting and killing him, marking the city's fifth homicide of the year.

Jose Salgado, 57, was working with his wife at their store, Sapiao's Grocery at 351 Lexington Avenue when the men, wielding handguns, demanded money, police said. Just after Salgado gave the robbers the money, one of the armed men shot him, according to police.

A regular customer, who wished to remain anonymous, found him on a sidewalk outside the store on Lexington Avenue, said he performed CPR on Salgado and tried to save him.

Salgado was transported to St. Vincent's Medical Center, where he died at 3:46 p.m.

Video surveillance shows the suspected robbers walking east on Linen Avenue in the direction of the store and running the opposite way down the street a minute later, police said. They escaped in a bright four-door vehicle, possibly a kiwi-colored Ford Focus, and took off down Linen Avenue, witnesses told police.

A third person was waiting for them in the car in the passenger's seat, witnesses told police.

The first suspect police are looking for, the driver of the car, is about 5-foot-9, of medium build, in his 30s and he wore a mask, police said. The second man was about 5-foot-6 or 5-foot-7, in his 30s and had long hair, police said.

This comes two and a half weeks after another Bridgeport store worker was shot and killed.

In the case at T. Market on Reservoir Avenue, police did not believe robbery was the motive.

Neighbors and friends in the Portuguese community say the owner of Sapiao’s had run the store with his wife for decades.

Police released a surveillance video of the suspected robbers and their getaway car and ask anyone with information to contact Det. Ada Curet at 203-581-5236.

Photo Credit: Bridgeport Police Department

LifeStar Called to I-84 Crash in Willington


LifeStar is responding to a crash near exit 70 on Interstate 84 west in Willington.

No lanes are closed at this time. It's unknown how many patients LifeStar is being called to transport or what the nature of the injuries are.

No further information was immediately available.

Americans Will Like "Real Hillary": Blumenthal


As U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal was attending the UConn women's basketball team's NCAA championship victory rally in Hartford Sunday afternoon, his Yale Law School classmate Hillary Rodham Clinton was announcing that she will run for president in 2016.

"I've known Hillary Clinton since our graduation from law school about 40 years ago and have kept in touch, in fact worked with her over these 40 years on a mass variety of projects and activities and causes that are close to both of our hearts," Blumenthal said. "She is really engaging as a colleague, as a friend, as someone who penetrates all of the unessentials, irrelevancies to an issue and really hones down, drills down on what's important. When she talks about children or working families or about the need for a better education, more jobs, she has a passion."

In response to her announcement about her bid for the presidency, he said "she has a passion, a sparkling, penetrating intellect, a real sense of right and wrong that I think will impress the American people."

"The more people know Hillary Clinton, the more the real Hillary is there, the more I think they will like her and respect her," Blumenthal said.

So, who is the real Hillary? Blumenthal mentioned her ability to find humor in serious situations while also maintaining focus at the task at hand.

"I hope people will see her sense of humor, her joking about what can be funny even in serious negotiations," Blumenthal said. "She has a sparkling, effervescent sense of humor. She sees fun in life and she also sees what's serious about family and commitment to her family. When she talks about her grandchildren, she has a sense of delight and fun. I hope people will see her sense of humor about her, about her husband. Nobody can joke more about Bill Clinton than Hillary Clinton and I hope people see that sense of humor as well as her sense of purpose and the reason she is running for president, which I think that will spark admiration and affection among the American people."

When asked what he thinks her challenges will be in the election, he said that "every issue will be on the table, but that she is grounded and can handle it.

"Politics these days can be tough and nasty, but she has a big heart and she's developed an ability to work through whatever the criticisms are and absorb the ones that make sense and reject the name-calling and the nastiness," Blumenthal said. "I think her sense of personal awareness and her sense of what's right and wrong, what the country needs now. Hillary Clinton is passionate about moving the country forward. About using the perspectives and insights she brings as a woman. Sometimes it's been tough for her to be a woman in the White House, in the Senate, in world affairs as Secretary of State, but she has developed a real sense of self that I think will impress the American people."

Blumenthal described Hillary Rodham Clinton as a dedicated student who out-shined many of her classmates.

"When we were in law school, she was by far a better student than either Bill Clinton or me and I think she's going to show herself to be a very serious study of the American people," Blumenthal said. "She's going to be not only a student of the American people, of American problems, of American opportunities, but she's going to use those lessons in a way that's unprecedented."

He said that she would bring insight to the presidential seat as a woman and someone with "vast experience and qualifications.

"Nobody has better experience and qualifications," Blumenthal said. "From day one when I met her back in law school, she's always prided herself on knowing a subject, whether it was legal issues or children's issues or economics issues or foreign affairs issues, she's always been top of the class. Smarter than her husband in class at least and I think her sense of humor and purpose will really prevail."

Photo Credit: GETTY

Crews Respond to Southington Trailer Park Fire


A shed fire in Southington damaged two homes on Brookside Drive Sunday.

Firefighters say the the blaze broke out at a trailer park around 4:35 p.m.  Upon arrival they found a shed at 8 Brookside Drive fully involved. The heat from the fire melted siding on the owner's trailer and damaged a neighbor's property as well.

No one was hurt, and though damaged, the homes are still livable. 

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live