Channel: NBC Connecticut
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live
Mark channel Not-Safe-For-Work? cancel confirm NSFW Votes: (0 votes)
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel.

Grandmother, 99, Finishes College


She’s old enough to remember the Great Depression, World War II, the Civil Rights Movement, the collapse of the Berlin Wall, and most recently, the rise of the digital information age.

Adding one more historical event to her life, 99-year-old Doreetha Daniels graduated college on Friday, accomplishing her own personal goal of earning a college degree before turning 100.

“I accomplished what I wanted to do… this is my dream come true,” she said.

Daniels stole the show at the graduation ceremony at the College of the Canyons when she was presented her diploma for associate of the arts degree from College of the Canyons.

She’d been dreaming of going to college since she was a young girl growing up in Nebraska. Her final inspiration to go to school came when she watched her grandchildren get their master’s degrees.
“So I said well, I’m not doing anything, I’m tired of my hobbies, so I’m going to go to school,” Daniels said.

She lost her driver’s license after suffering two strokes during her seven years studying at the college. Her son said despite the impediment, she didn’t slow down.

“Yeah, she’s fragile but her mind is sharp as a tack,” Robert Daniels said.

Daniels also interned at the counseling office and stole the hearts of the entire staff.

“You are so inspirational and have impacted the lives of all those who had the honor of working with you,” College counselor Liz Shaker told Daniels.

Now that she has her associate’s degree, her family is encouraging her to go for her bachelor’s. Doreetha said she’ll think about it.

Photo Credit: KNBC

Medical Marijuana Bill for Children Dies in Legislature


Some Connecticut families say they're running out of options after a bill that would allow children to use medical marijuana died in the legislature.

Seven-year-old West Tarricone is full of energy as she plays with her twin brother, Blake, but hundreds of times a day, seizures stop her in her tracks.

"Her seizures are at the point now where she stops breathing. We have oxygen now," said West's and Blake's mom Cara Tarricone.

West was diagnosed with West Syndrome, a type of epilepsy, at just 11 months. Since then she's been in and out of the hospital and currently takes up to 18 pills a day, though her parents say it does little to help.

"It's getting dangerous. We're at the point where it's life-threatening every day for her, and this medication can help," said Cara.

The medication she's referring to is medical marijuana in oil form, but in Connecticut anyone under the age of 18 is prohibited from using it for medical reasons. The state senate failed to take up a bill for a vote that would have changed that.

Due to the epilepsy, Cara says she gave up her career to care full time for West, and her wife Diane works three jobs to support them. They say they don't have another year to wait for the legislation to pass, and their only solution would be for Cara and West to move to another state, separating the family.

"That would mean she's not with her brother," said Cara. "That would mean she doesn't get to see her mom, and that's not okay."

As the Tarricone's struggle to plan for the future, they're still hoping quick action during a special session will keep them here.

"All it would have taken was five minutes to say yes, to pass this bill and save our daughter's life," said Cara.

Photo Credit: NBC Bay Area

Community Holds Vigil for 2 Kids Found Dead


Three days after two young children were found dead in an East Haven home, the community is still trying to come to grips with the tragedy.

Friday night, dozens of friends and family members of Aleisha Moore, 6, and Daaron Moore, 8, brought candles and gathered to remember the two young lives lost too soon.

Clutching to his loved ones, surrounded by strangers, and lit only by candlelight, Michael Moore, the father of the two kids found dead in their East Haven home this week was among those attending the candlelight vigil.

“It’s a great blessing. It’s actually restored my faith in humanity that people are willing… willing to help when the next man is down," he said.

Originally, a planned candlelight vigil was to be held outside the home where the children’s bodies were discovered. Instead, in anticipation of a larger crowd, that vigil was held at the East Haven Green.

Not far from the green, on Strong Street, a memorial of teddy bears, notes and candles continued to grow at the front gate of the home where Aleisha and Daaron lived with their mother, LeRoya Moore, 36.

Michael Moore, her ex-husband, spoke with NBC Connecticut earlier this week and said he is devastated by the loss of his two children. He said he is also waiting for new information from police about what may have happened leading up to the kids' deaths.

Friday night, those who knew the children – and even those who did not – came together to honor the young lives lost.

“There are children involved and I think that is what our main focus is,” said Lisa Criscuolo, who lives just a few houses away from the Moore’s home. “There were two lives taken here that were super young and they had a full life to live. We want to come together as a community and a town to show our support."

The children’s mother is still hospitalized with injuries to her arms and wrists. When police arrived at the home on Tuesday, they say the house was filled with natural gas and the bodies of the two children were inside. Police said in a press conference earlier in the week that it appeared the gas had been turned on, but that it was unclear.

A friend who called 911 that day from outside the house said that she had received a letter from the mother saying she planned on committing suicide and that she told her over the phone she cut herself, according to the recorded calls.

No charges have been filed at this time.

The vigil at the East Haven Green begins at 8:15 p.m. Friday. Participants are asked to bring their own candles to light in remembrance of the two young children.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

Mom Gave Baby Sleep Aid Before Infant Died: Cops


The parents of an 8-month-old baby girl who died in Brooklyn in February are accused of giving the baby sleeping pills in her formula and have been arrested in connection with her death, according to state police.

Police responded to 648 Wauregan Road around 7:30 a.m. on Feb. 10 after the baby’s mother called 911 to report she was unresponsive and purple.

The arrest warrant application provides more information on what the parents, Justine Barber, 28, Kevin Hartshorn Jr., 32, told police.

"My baby is dead, she is not breathing," the mother, Justine Barber, 28, told dispatchers when she called 911.

Dispatchers gave Barber instructions on how to perform CPR, but she said she could not open the baby's mouth. Dispatchers then heard Barber attempting CPR, but medics would pronounce the baby girl dead at the scene at 7:46 a.m.

The office of the chief medical examiner performed an autopsy the next day, but it was inconclusive.

Months later, in May, the medical examiner determined that the child died of acute diphendrydramine intoxication after ingesting a form of Benadryl and her death was ruled a homicide.

During the investigation, Barber admitted to giving all of her children sleeping pills in their drinks, which they called "specials," according to court documents.

The couple was using a "sleep aid" to help put their baby to sleep, according to court documents. Two days before the baby's death, Hartshorn Jr. ran out and purchased the 50-milligram "sleep aid gels for his own use."

Police noted finding a "Sleep Aid" container in the house with soft gel 50-miligram tablets with instructions that they are for people 12 years old and older.

Hartshorn Jr. had been drinking on the night of Feb. 9, according to court documents. He told police that the baby was acting strangely earlier in the night and he noticed a partially dissolved 50-miligram sleeping aid in her bottle, but instead of calling for help, he sent the baby's mother a message on Facebook, according to court records.

When Hartshorn told Barber the baby would not stop crying, she told him "no more 'specials' tonight," according to police records. Then he said he could not remember if he gave the baby anything after that.

Court records show the parents exchanged messages from 2:22 a.m. until 3:22 a.m. about the child's worsening condition.

Detectives took over the investigation and obtained warrants for the baby’s parents, who both now live in Woonsocket, Rhode Island.

On Wednesday, police in Connecticut reached out to police in Woonsocket and North Providence, Rhode Island and told them they had warrants for the couple.

Woonsocket Police arrested Hartshorn as a fugitive from justice on the same day and police found Barber at a hospital in Providence and also took her into custody as a fugitive from justice.

The parents waived extradition, were turned over to detectives at the 6th District Court House in Providence and transported to Troop D for processing.

Barber has been charged with second-degree manslaughter and three counts of risk of injury and her bond was set at $50,000. Hartshorn was also charged with risk of injury and negligent homicide.

“It’s a terrible tragedy. I just don’t want people treating them like they’re murderers.They’re not murderers," Robin Daigle, Barber's aunt, said. "They made a terrible decision. And they’re going to pay their consequences."

Daigle also said "they're mentally ill with mentally ill problems."

"They make decisions that normal people just done make. It was a decision out of compassion," Daigle said. "It had nothing to do with violence, they didn’t beat there baby they didn’t starve their baby."

Both appeared in G.A. 11 Danielson Superior Court on Friday, where bond for each was set at $125,000.

Hartshorn is due back in court on July 17 and has been placed on mental health watch.

Barber is due back in court on July 10 and has been placed on suicide watch.

Bridgeport Officers Attend Graduation of Late Officer's Daughter


When  Erin Craw graduated from UConn, she had four members of the Bridgeport Police Department by her side.

Craw is the daughter of the late Bridgeport Police Captain Robert Craw, who passed away last August after a courageous battle with cancer.

Captain Craw’s wish was to see his daughter graduate from UConn. 

“Bobby would have given anything to see Erin graduate,” said Police Chief Joseph Gaudett. “He dedicated his life to the City of Bridgeport but he was even more dedicated to his family."

Assistant Chief James Nardozzi, Capt. Brian McCarthy, Lt. Bill Mayer, and Sgt. Charles Johnson attended the commencement ceremony on May 10.

“I’m proud of the work that our Police Department does every day keeping our kids and families safe in Bridgeport,” said Mayor Bill Finch. “On this particular day, our officers were there for one of their own, to be by Erin’s side on this special day and to honor the memory of Captain Craw.”

After earning a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice at the University of New Haven, Craw joined the Bridgeport Police Department in 1978. He quickly rose through the ranks to eventually earn the title of Captain, and has proudly devoted over 36 years of service to his hometown, Bridgeport.

“Bobby was a good man, a good cop and a great father. He had 36 years on the job,” said Chief Gaudett. “He never seemed to miss a day of work. And he always seemed to go right home after his shift to be with his girls. He was always there for them. We wanted to be there for them too.”

Families Gearing Up For Fifth Hartford Walk4Hearing


Families across Connecticut are getting ready to participate in the fifth annual Hartford Walk4Hearing to raise awareness about hearing loss.

The Walters family of Suffield, Connecticut is one of those families.

Corinne and Ryan Walters have two sons who are deaf and are able to hear with cochlear implants. The family has participated in the Hartford Walk4Hearing since 2012.

"We walk to raise awareness about hearing loss for those around us and to teach our boys that they are supported by so many generous and kind people. There is nothing they can't do because of their hearing loss," said Corinne Walters.

Hearing loss is the third most common public health issue in the United States behind arthritis and heart disease, according to the Hearing Loss Association of America.

There are approximately 48 million people in America with some degree of hearing loss.

The Hartford Walk4Hearing takes place on Saturday, June 13. The 5K walk kicks off at 10:00am from the Mortensen River Front Plaza, 300 Columbus Boulevard in Hartford.

Thousands Gather for Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure


Ten-thousand people tied up their running shoes on Saturday, for the annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

According to the organization, three-thousand women in Connecticut will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year. It says the state has the highest incidence of breast cancer in the country.

"It's a hard diagnosis for any woman to get. It changes your life,” said Gail Marcus, who is president of the Komen Connecticut board. She is also a six-year survivor. "The last day of my treatment I got a call from my mother that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer."

Many of the runners and walkers who created a sea of pink around Bushnell Park, were survivors or knew someone diagnosed with the disease.

"I have cousins up here who had it, my aunt passed away, and my wife passed away from breast cancer eight years ago,” said Cliff Yellen, a former Connecticut resident who now lives in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Austin Wotherspoon's mom was diagnosed in January.

“It was tough at first but her spirits are high,” he said.

The Old Saybrook teen surprised her by getting 20 of his friends to sign up for Saturday’s race.
"It made me cry. It's really emotional. We have more reason to keep fighting,” said Rita Wotherspoon. 

Many dressed in pink sporting tiaras and tutus.

"It's part of the fun in celebrating life,” said Audrey Yellen Quinlan, of Glastonbury, who wore pink flamingos in her hair.

In the past 22-years they've raised $23-million and hope to raise another $775, 000 this year.

Seventy-five percent of that money goes toward lowering the mortality rate.
“Education, screenings, and treatment services for women in Connecticut who are diagnosed with breast cancer, and the other 25% is invested in research,” said Anne Morris, the CEO of Komen Connecticut.

The cause is near and dear to Morris. She was just nine-months-old when she lost her mother to breast cancer. Back then she says, the diagnosis was a death sentence.

“I do what I do I guess so that other women don't have to live without their mothers, or their sisters, or their wives, or their neighbors or friends,” Morris explained.

Plane Wings Clip at Airport


Two airplanes bumped wingtips on the tarmac at Burbank Bob Hope Airport Saturday morning, according to Southwest Airlines.

No one was injured when the two Southwest planes clipped each other, the airline said in a statement.

Flight 4721 was pushing back from its gate at the airport gate when it clipped the wing of another plane. The planes were taken out of service and were slated for a maintenance check.

"Our Employees are working as quickly as possible to re-accommodate all Customers," a Southwest spokeswoman said in a statement.

Both planes were 737s, and both were being pushed back from their gates when the collision happened, according to Burbank Bobe Hope Airport spokeswoman Lucy Burghdorf. All passengers exited the planes, she said.

The NTSB is investigating the incident, but runways were never closed, Burghdorf said.

Photo Credit: Connie Kwok (Courtesy of KCRA)
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Winchester Police Investigate Car Burglaries


Winchester police are investigating a rash of burglaries from vehicles.

Police say the burglaries occurred overnight Friday into Saturday in the Colony Drive area. The suspects entered unlocked vehicles and stole items including sunglasses, loose change, and a laptop computer.

"These individuals are most likely traveling on foot and looking for an opportunity for a fast and easy theft. And if they were on Colony Drive last night, I'm sure they'll be roaming other neighborhoods again, especially with the warmer weather," Sgt. Kevin Kinahan said in a release.

Police are urging residents to lock their vehicles and be on alert for any suspicious activity in the area. Anyone with information should contact the Winchester police department at 860 379 2721

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Rev. Al Sharpton Attends Hartford Rally


The Reverend Al Sharpton visited Hartford for a march and rally after weeks of violence in the city.

The march started on Barbour Street, traveled down Garden Street, and ended on Albany Avenue. These are some of the very streets that have been home to violence in the past few weeks.

Five people have died and more hurt during recent shootings and stabbings in Hartford.

During an energetic speech, Sharpton called for peace in the community.

“We need to come together. When you got five, and six, seven people shot dead in your neighborhood. You can’t afford no differences. Everybody got to come together,” says Sharpton.

The event, titled “Stop the Violence & Cease the Killing,” filled the Shiloh Baptist Church.

Most of it included speeches from different pastors inspiring the community.

Before Sharpton spoke there was a call for donations and at least one person stood up and objected to what he saw as profiteering.

Soon after, Sharpton took the stage and announced the money was being raised for a memorial in Hartford honoring those who had been killed. He says the idea came from what he had heard a previous pastor say the city needed.

Sharpton says he donated $1,000 to the cause.

“I want the names and their stories up so that children can see that they don’t want to be on that wall,” says Sharpton.

Sharpton has recently visited several cities dealing with violence.

The trends he says he has seen are too easy access to guns, the breakdown of structures, and too many people have given up.

Sharpton says the memorial is just the beginning and the community needs to come together to spread peace, especially through the church. That’s why many saw this as more than just a rally.

“It’s a call. It’s a call of empowerment to the whole community,” says Rev. Dion
Watkins, Mount Olive Church Ministries.

Photo Credit: NBCConnecticut.com

I-91 North Reopened After Crash in New Haven


Interstate 91 northbound has reopened after a crash shut it down between exits 8 and 9.

State police say an unoccupied vehicle was parked in the left lane just south of exit 8. The operator of another vehicle traveling northbound did not see the parked car and crashed into it. One of the vehicles caught fire, but it quickly extinguished.

Information on injuries was not immediately available. State police are investigating the crash. Check back for updates.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

Family Kidnap Relative From Commune


Deputies in north San Diego are investigating a kidnapping involving three people who allegedly tried to rescue a family member they believed was being brainwashed by a religious community.

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said three suspects were arrested in connection with the kidnapping of a 23-year-old man they claimed they were rescuing from the Twelve Tribes Community/Church in Vista Friday.

Deputies stopped the bizarre kidnapping around 5 p.m. in the 1500 block of Foothill Drive.

The sheriff’s department said a deputy responding to a different incident in the area thought he heard a car crash on a nearby street. He then saw two vehicles – a gray van and a red van – speed away from the scene.

Believing this was a hit-and-run, the deputy called for backup. Additional deputies tried to pull over both vans, but both vehicles failed to stop.

A pursuit began, but ended shortly thereafter on Foothill Drive.

At that point, deputies detained four people from the red van and one person from the gray van. While asking questions, deputies learned the incident was not a hit-and-run, but rather a chase that stemmed from a kidnapping that had happened minutes earlier at a house in Vista that also serves as the Twelve Tribes church.

Investigators said the gray van was pursuing the red van in which the victim was being held by the suspects.

The suspects – Andres Martinez-Manso, 51; Eliza Martinez, 25; and Robert Harry Matthew, 25 – are all related to the kidnapping victim and told deputies they were trying to rescue the man from the church because they believed he was being brainwashed.

The incident remains under investigation.

The Twelve Tribes operates religious communities all over the United States. The group began in 1972 in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Members in north San Diego live together in a home in the 2600 block of Foothill Drive that doubles as a church. The Twelve Tribes also has a farm in Valley Center, about 18 miles away from the Vista location. Members also own The Yellow Deli, a restaurant located at 315 East Broadway in the Vista Village.

NBC 7 reached out to Twelve Tribes for comment on the kidnapping case and spokesperson Andrew Peter had this to say:

“We’re thankful our friend has been returned to the community to be able to be in a place where they can live according to the desires of their heart and live a life that they believe is right and is pleasing to God. It’s unfortunate that some people don’t understand that and they would try and take away people from a life that is good.”

Photo Credit: NBC 7 San Diego

Bison Escape Take Over NY Freeway


Four bison escaped from a farm Upstate and took to the New York State Thruway to evade their owner and police on Saturday.

The bison could be seen running on and along the sides of the heavily-traveled toll road. The animals were eventually captured and taken back to their farm in Saugerties.

Police said the bison's joy ride didn't result in any accidents or injuries.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Men Rescued From Flaming Boat in NY


Three people were rescued from the water Saturday evening after their boat burst into flames off the coast of Long Island, police said.

The 2001, 25-foot Chris-Craft boat was in Great South Bay, about two miles north of Cherry Grove, when the three men on board noticed smoke coming from the boat's engine compartment. They attempted to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher but the extinguisher wouldn't work. The men put on life jackets, jumped overboard and called 911 just before 7 p.m.

They were pulled from the water by police about 15 minutes later and treated for hypothermia. The boat was extinguished by fire boats from the Blue Point and Bayport fire departments.

The boat was then turned over to an arson squad for examination.

Photo Credit: Suffolk County Police

Planes Land on Ca., Nev. Highways


A small single-engine plane was forced to make an emergency landing on Highway 101 in Northern California late Saturday — and the pilot managed to land it without any injuries to the four people inside, the California Highway Patrol confirmed to NBC News.

Engine troubles forced the pilot to attempt the landing around 11:04 a.m. PT (2:04 a.m. ET) near Coyote Creek Gulf Drive in Morgan Hill, south of San Jose, the CHP said.

The plane was towed off the road, the CHP said. The Federal Aviation Administration is set to investigate the cause of the engine trouble.

In an apparently unrelated incident, another small plane made an emergency landing on Interstate 80 in Churchill County, Nevada.

None of the passengers in that plane were injured, and the plane manged to get into the air again, the Nevada Highway Patrol said in a tweet Saturday night.

Photo Credit: Fayzeh Farhat
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.

Hartford Police Searching For Liquor Store Robbers


Hartford police are searching for three suspect they say robbed a liquor store on Saturday.

According to police, a hold-up alarm sounded at the Hartford M&A Liquor store on New Britain Ave. around 2 p.m.

When they arrived, the store clerk told them that three males had entered the store and stolen money from both the clerk and the cash register, totaling $300.

The clerk told police that one man had a gun.

After taking the money, the clerk said the suspects grabbed several liquor bottles before running out of the store and hopping over a fence behind the building.

The first suspect is described as a 5'7" black male in his 20's wearing a black hooded sweatshirt. He was holding a firearm.

The second suspect is a 5'10' black male in his 30's with a heavy build and black beard. He was wearing a gray baseball cap, jacket, plaid shirt and dark jeans.

The third suspect is a 5'8" Hispanic male in his 20's with a fair complexion. He was wearing a gray sweatshirt.

Gov. Malloy Endorses Hillary Clinton for President


Gov. Dannel Malloy announced his endorsement of Hillary Clinton for president on Sunday.

"This is a critical election for the future of our country," said Gov. Malloy. "I believe that Hillary Clinton has the right set of skills and experience to lead our country forward."

Malloy made the announcement Sunday while joined by Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman, Attorney General George Jepson and Connecticut Democratic Party Chairman Nick Balletto.

Malloy called Clinton a "champion of everyday Americans and their families."

"I am proud to give my full support to Hillary Clinton, and I look forward to working hard to make sure she is elected president.," said Malloy.

In a statement to NBC Connecticut, the Connecticut Republican Party said:

"It's entirely fitting that Governor Malloy would endorse the least transparent and most partisan presidential candidate in history. Hillary Clinton has consistently avoided facing voters and the press, just as Governor Malloy has avoided listening to Connecticut taxpayers and small business owners who voiced their grave concerns with his budget."

Shoreline Fire Departments Compete in Water Wars


Shoreline fire departments  tested their skills in the ultimate water war on Sunday.

Volunteer members of Westbrook, Killingworth, Old Saybrook, Essex, Guilford, Old Lyme, Durham, Deep River, and Clinton’s fire departments squared off in a water-logged competition at Old Saybrook’s Firemen’s Field.

Winning these games was bigger than bragging rights.

"A lot of the things that we do out here on the field are some of the same things we would do in real life to fight a fire,” explained Bob Harris, a member of Old Saybrook’s fire department and co-chair of the event.

The event also serves to educate the public and help recruit new firefighters. Hundreds lined up to see the teams show of their skills.
There were eight events, including two junior competitions for the younger firefighters.

One called the Running Hose, required firefighters to pull three lengths of a hose, connect the nozzles, and hit a target all while running.

Another team favorite was the obstacle course.

"It puts everything we do in one spot. Water flow, rescue, it gives us everything,” explained Ray Desjardins, Killingworth’s Assistant Fire Chief

"Our favorite part of the competition is the drafting competition,” said Paul Fazzino, the Essex Fire Chief.

His crew's the three-time champ.

"The guys have been working hard every few nights, they've been just practicing, going through the motions,” said Fazzino.

So, how does it work?

"We have a pool of 3,000 gallons of water, we put a hard section in, and you suck the water out of the pond and flow down through a hose and hit a target,” explained Westbrook Fire Chief Mike Jenkins.

Many real life fires in rural area require responders to pull from somewhere other than a hydrant.

The day ended with Waterball, where teams use their hoses to get a ball suspended on a wire between two polls to one side.

"The Waterball is probably the most entertaining for everybody,” said Harris.

Winning these games was bigger than bragging rights.

Made up of volunteers, these departments often work together fighting fires. Even though they competed on Sunday, the goal was to make every team ready for the next emergency.

"Everybody can get along, we all know each other, even from different towns, so everybody has a good time,” said Jenkins.

Protesters Camp at LA Mayor's Home


Protesters who want police held accountable in the shooting death of unarmed, mentally ill Los Angeles man Ezell Ford camped out in front of Mayor Eric Garcetti’s Hancock Park home Sunday night, vowing not to leave until Tuesday.

Dozens of demonstrators with the Black Lives Matter movement were seeking a sit-down with Mayor Eric Garcetti before Tuesday, when the results of an investigation into Ford's August 11 shooting will be released. They demanded that Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck be fired.

"We are literally sick and tired of the excuses of the killings of young black folks in our communities and these cops getting away with it," said protester Patrisse Cullors, co-founder of Black Lives Matter movement.

Ford's mother, Tritobia Ford, arrived to the Hancock Park home with snacks for the protesters. She said she had not personally heard from the mayor about her son's killing.

"He has not given my family the respect or attention that is deserved," she said. "I feel like if he couldn't come out himself, he could've sent the very same representative that came out to our house in the beginning to at least say something."

Her message was heard. Garcetti's spokesman spoke with the mother outside the mayor's home.

"They assured me they'll set up something, but why did it take this? Why did I have to come here?" she said.

Representatives from Garcetti's press office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the protest and gave no comment to the Times.

Ford, 25, was shot in South LA during a scuffle with officers, according to the police account of the incident. The LAPD said Ford didn't comply with a request to stop, made suspicious movements and grabbed for an officer's gun after tackling them.

Ford's mother told NBC4 that she's heard the officers involved in the shooting will be cleared, following a Los Angeles Times report that the two shootings will be found justified.

"The mayor's house is intimate," Cullors said when asked why the protesters were demonstrating there, adding that, "Ezell Ford was murdered on his block and we want to bring the stories of black folks and what we face on a daily basis to the front of Mayor Garcetti's house."

Days after the shooting, the LAPD pledged that it would conduct an urgent and transparent investigation. The Los Angeles Police Commission will take up the two investigations, conducted by the LAPD and an independent watchdog, on Tuesday, commission President Steve Soboroff said.

Cullors said the protesters outside Garcetti's house said they wouldn't leave until the Tuesday meeting "unless he decides to get a hotel somewhere, and then we'll figure out where that is and we'll show up there as well.

NBC4's Melissa Etezadi contributed to this report.

Photo Credit: Beth Slepp-Paz

How American Pharoah Stacks Up Against Triple Crown Winners


A Triple Crown victory is a rare triumph. 

Since Sir Barton managed the feat in 1919, only 11 other horses have ever won the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes in the same year, according to the race's website.

On Saturday, American Pharoah won the 1½-mile Belmont in 2:26:65 minutes, capping his wins at the Derby and the Preakness and ending a record 37-year drought without a Triple Crown champion.

But how would the new champion of American horse racing stack up against his predecessors in the Belmont? Here's a look at all 12 Triple Crown winners to see who would win a best-of-the-best matchup in the so-called "Test of the Champion" compiled from the Belmont Stakes website.

The Winner: Secretariat (2:24:00, 1973)

Secretariat not only took the Triple Crown after 25 years without a title winner, his 2:24 finish also set a Belmont record that to this day has never been broken. Secretariat utterly conquered the field, crossing the line 31 lengths ahead of runner-up Twice a Prince. Secretariat was honored as the Horse of the Year a year before his historic Triple Crown victory, which was a rarity for two-year-old horses. After the 1973 Triple Crown, Secretariat competed in nine more races, winning six, placing second twice, and coming third only once.

2) Affirmed (2:26:48, 1978)

Affirmed's final time for the Belmont Stakes was the third-fastest in history. The horse was best known for his rivalry with Alydar, who matched strides with the Triple Crown hopeful from the mile pole at the top of the stretch in a tense 1978 Belmont race. The Belmont Park crowd held its collective breath as Alydar and Affirmed dueled over the homestretch, battling for supremacy until Affirmed did just that for a Triple Crown win.

3) American Pharoah (2:26:65, 2015)

American Pharoah delivered a victory for Egyptian-born owner Ahmed Zayat, who bred the colt and put him up for sale before buying him back for $300,000. His name came courtesy of the family's online contest, in which a woman from Missouri submitted the winning moniker. The misspelling — normally it's "pharaoh" — went unnoticed until the name was already official.

4, tie) War Admiral (2:28:12, 1937)

Son of the renowned purebred Man o' War, the mighty War Admiral made it to the finish line three lengths ahead of second-place Sceneshifter —  but his win came at a cost. "The Admiral" had been rowdy at the race's start, repeatedly crashing through the gate and delaying the race for nine minutes. He sliced off a piece of his right front heel after he stumbled at the break, leaving behind a trail of blood as he ran.

4, tie) Count Fleet (2:28:12, 1943)

Count Fleet's owner John D. Hertz, founder of the rental car company, disliked his horse's rambunctious nature, but Hertz was unsuccessful in his attempts to sell the thoroughbred. Hertz's opinion of his horse changed, however, when he watched Count Fleet win the Triple Crown by 25 lengths — a record that stood for 30 years until Secretariat's run.

4, tie) Citation (2:28:12, 1948)

On the day of the 1948 Belmont Stakes, Citation was a 2-5 favorite. The crowd watched in surprise as the bay stumbled at the beginning of the race — but Citation fought back, surging into the lead on the turn. He hit the wire five lengths in the lead, tying his time with War Admiral and Count Fleet. Citation became the first racing millionaire with a bankroll of $1,085,760 and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1959.

7) Seattle Slew (2:29:36, 1977)

A breeding manager called Seattle Slew "ugly" when the colt was born because he had no white markings and big, floppy ears. The colt was rejected several times based on his appearance and unimpressive pedigree. Cast off, he was eventually bought by two young couples from Washington. Slew raced on a muddy track in the 1977 Belmont Stakes and proved his doubters wrong, becoming the first horse with an undefeated record to win the Triple Crown.

8) Omaha (2:30:36, 1935)

Omaha suffered a setback when the gates opened on a sloppy track in 1935. His jockey, Willie Saunders, was able to quickly calm down Omaha and get the racehorse back on track to become the third Triple Crown winner by a 1½-length margin.

9) Assault (2:30:48, 1946)

At first glance, Assault was not the pinnacle of a healthy, winning race horse: He suffered from kidney problems, had a misshapen hoof, weighed less than 1,000 pounds and was, overall, a petite contender in a field dominated by big horses. When the liver chestnut ran, however, it was described as flawless. While Lord Boswell was the favorite for that year's Belmont Stakes, Assault made it to the wire with three lengths to spare.

10) Whirlaway (2:31:00, 1941)

Whirlaway was no prize to his jockey, Eddie Arcaro, who called the chestnut "not the best, but the runningest". The chestnut's signature move was running off to the outside of the track to make wide turns. In fact, in 1940, Whirlaway hit an outer rail before winning the Saratoga Special. On the day of the Belmont Stakes, Arcaro let Whirlaway go to the front with a mile to go, allowing the team to win by a 1½ margin.

11) Gallant Fox (2:31:36, 1930) 

During practices, the affable horse loved to be with company and often set out with a team of horses — none of whom could never keep up with Gallant Fox. Jockey Earle Sande had come out of retirement to ride Gallant Fox, who gave Sande his third Derby victory and won the Belmont Stakes by three lengths. 

Also ran: Sir Barton (2:17:24*, 1919)

Sir Barton was the first horse to win the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes before "Triple Crown" was even coined. He was a notoriously cranky colt who disliked humans and had soft feet which caused him to lose shoes during races. When Sir Barton won the Triple Crown in 1919, the length of the race was shorter by an eighth of a mile.

This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story on our mobile site.
Browsing All 57608 Browse Latest View Live